• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Inter caste marriages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sri Raghy ji,

You have highlighted the fact....

Your son is correct...

I used to think on the same lines...I am also going through lots of sites desperately. But enjoying very much to see how the girls are dreaming...It's looking cute as well.

The girls who all are looking for a guy with higher qualification than theirs, seems to be accepting a guy of equal qualification at last as if she is getting into a great deal sacrificing her expectations and scrapping the bottom of the barrel.

This makes me feel pity for such girls.

I feel that girls should seek for a guy generally indicating her expectations as - "Qualified and well settled".

Whether a guy is over qualified or not, the basic selection process of a girl includes chatting with the guy and get to know much about him before marriage. A girl would not be marrying a guy just for his qualification and profession. To be happy in life, a girl needs a good husband as her life time the best friend.

---------------------------------------
Dear Ms.Amala,

I feel that your claims are true to some extent. But the girls are not at the receiving end in terms of boys expectations.

The parents are forcing their daughters to go for higher education so that they can meet the expectations of boys parents. I reiterate.......to meet the expectations of boys PARENT.......

Highly educated daughters can get into highly paid jobs and can help parents accumulating substantial amount to look for a well to do alliance. Off course to see that their daughters are well married off to a high class family and she lives a rich life.

I feel parents should not pressurize their daughters to do MBBS, BE and any other higher professional studies just to compete with other girls in the society. Such studies can be their daughter's own choice as per her choice and capabilities.

An educated girl, loving to be a house wife and be a good home maker are the preferences of today's boys. A girl, who be a good wife and a good and responsible MOM would make the life of the boys meaningful. Girls education can be just a source of confidence, knowledge and job opportunities when the need arise. Or to look for a comfortable job to keep herself busy and earn some extra bucks provided she could manage herself.

So, I feel, girls who all are simply educated, be at home or working, and prefer to be a home maker need to be much proud of themselves and still can have a good husband who can be her best friend till the destiny.

"A highly qualified and professional guy necessarily can not be a good husband. As well a highly qualified and professional girl necessarily can not be a good wife"

I think girls education and career started out as something to fall back on and protect her in case her husband turns out to be an abuser, unrealiable and irresponsible.

You and RaghyJi are saying about girls expectation being high. Its the same with boys. You say its the boys parents that have the expecatation. I ask you, what is the difference whether it is the boys themselves, their parents or their grand uncles having high expectation about the girl? In an arranged marriage don't the boys always defer to their parents, relatives etc anyway?

In all those matri sites you mentioned I see the same thing with boys as well. If they are MBBS they only want MBBS girls. I agree that no one should be forced to study what they dont want, least of all for marriage purpose.

I'm quite turned off matri sites as I feel everybody is so shrewd and calculating and businesslike in their demands for girls and vice versa. I could never be happy being married to someone who wants me just for my career, education.

This is really random I know, but since everyone is talking religion I just thought of something. Doing good deeds in the name of religion because you are asked to, or because your GOD will be angry and punish you if you dont or reward you if you do, or because you want to go to heaven or accumulate punyam --doesnt that negate doing the good deed?. The action is right but the intent is all wrong

surely doing good deeds, being kind, helpful etc because its the right thing to do, because your mind, conscience, heart tells you to do it, because its ethical and not because you are afraid of your GOD or want any rewards from Him, not because your GOD tells you to, surely doing good deeds because you want to is far more righteous?

Just a thought

I think girls education and career started out as something to fall back on and protect her in case her husband turns out to be an abuser, unrealiable and irresponsible.

You and RaghyJi are saying about girls expectation being high. Its the same with boys. You say its the boys parents that have the expecatation. I ask you, what is the difference whether it is the boys themselves, their parents or their grand uncles having high expectation about the girl? In an arranged marriage don't the boys always defer to their parents, relatives etc anyway?

In all those matri sites you mentioned I see the same thing with boys as well. If they are MBBS they only want MBBS girls. I agree that no one should be forced to study what they dont want, least of all for marriage purpose.

I'm quite turned off matri sites as I feel everybody is so shrewd and calculating and businesslike in their demands for girls and vice versa. I could never be happy being married to someone who wants me just for my career, education.

Dear Ms.Amala,

If you could have gone through my post clearly you could have noticed what I have indicated....

Let me paste the same for your below -

------------------------------------------------
"The parents are forcing their daughters to go for higher education so that they can meet the expectations of boys parents. I reiterate.......to meet the expectations of boys PARENT.......

Highly educated daughters can get into highly paid jobs and can help parents accumulating substantial amount to look for a well to do alliance. Off course to see that their daughters are well married off to a high class family and she lives a rich life."

------------------------------------------------

If boys and girls were thought about our culture and the real meaning of life than I feel all the boys and girls would develop a good attitude towards seeking a right match.

I agree that both the boys and girls (not all) are into much expectations and want to live a lavish life. Or to get benefited by his/her partner.

A boy should make it a point in his life that, as a man he should be responsible for the well being of his family. He should take the pride and pleasure to keep his wife happy and comfortable (not necessarily by lavish life style), helping her to the best of his capacity. He should be a good friend and share & enjoy every moment of life till the end joining hands together.

A girl should make it a point in her life that, as a women she should be very understanding and responsible wife and a good home maker. She should take the pride and pleasure to be a house wife enjoying every domestic activities and be a good mother. If she feels like going to a comfortable job she can discuss with her husband and take it up or can be prepared to help monetarily if need be and as she feels comfortable.

It's husband and wife who are going to lead a challenging life. Others can just be supporting and should not be hindrance in any ways. Husband and wife should have better understanding, love and affection and good intimacy between them.

Parent's should mind the well being of their son and daughter to some extent and as and when required. They should not indulge to much and spoil the harmony of the couple in the pretext of love for their son/daughter.

---------------

I have also turned off from matrimony sites. It makes us more confused and keeps us disturbed.

This is really random I know, but since everyone is talking religion I just thought of something. Doing good deeds in the name of religion because you are asked to, or because your GOD will be angry and punish you if you dont or reward you if you do, or because you want to go to heaven or accumulate punyam --doesnt that negate doing the good deed?. The action is right but the intent is all wrong

surely doing good deeds, being kind, helpful etc because its the right thing to do, because your mind, conscience, heart tells you to do it, because its ethical and not because you are afraid of your GOD or want any rewards from Him, not because your GOD tells you to, surely doing good deeds because you want to is far more righteous?

Just a thought

Well said.....Ms.Amala :yo:

We should consider others in par with us. We should realise the others position and try to understand the situation, placing our self to it to that of others. If we could do that, we would be doing good for others with out any expectations in return from the person and from the GOD. GOD would not be in picture and would not be the driving force to act as a true human.

If we do good to others, good will happen to us....This is a basic universal philosophy that directs humans to be humans.

.... My country of birth, india has all the answers. Buddhists and jains reduced the armies in the name of ahimsa, resulting in millions of death, millions or rape and millions of women and children taken as slaves. (do you know the meaning of 'hindu kush?'). Buddhism was one of the reasons.

:) :)

Sri. Nara,

What is the meaning of the smilies? Are you going to say I am showing intolerance towards Budhhism? No. What I meant to say was, the religious ahimsa policy should not have reflected in the political affairs. That was all. I was talking about history and the policies. Kindly explain your smilies, please. Thank you.

Cherers!

Kindly explain your smilies, please. Thank you.

I thought your post was a parody and I was so proud I got the joke. Sorry.

Dear Raghy, I was only trying to say heads rolled in Hindu religion also. If your point is Hindu religion is more tolerant today compared to Islam of today in general, then I have no serious quarrel with you -- the caste system is still a major problem for those who love Hinduism.

One further point I made and would like to emphasize is that there are many Muslims who follow a gentle form of Islam, like the Ahamadeees and the Sufees, and I think their grief is greater than anyone elses' for the support the Wahhabis have received from the great powers who rule the world today, and the great influence these "beasts" (h/t Hari) seem to have upon the vulnerable Muslim youth.

Thats all Raghy, I don't really want to get into who is more tolerant. As far as I am concerned, the more religious you get, the more intolerant you become, irrespective of which religion.

best wishes to you my dear friend....

Sri. Nara,

"As far as I am concerned, the more religious you get, the more intolerant you become, irrespective of which religion."

Thanks for your explanation. I completely agree with you here. Honestly, I don't even think 'self realisation' can be achevied through religious means.

Cheers!

Dear HH,

The NB SV's you know probably practice the humility Azhvars sang about. So it is not surprising they have accepted the way things are and focusing on Bhakti and dedication.

In this context, it is probably instructive to remind ourselevs of Swami Sri Periyavachchan Pillai's words, that due to "low" birth status, humility comes easily for NB bhagavathas. So, Swami goes on, the high born Brahmin should fall at their feet in order to mitigate their birth based "garvam".

This "garvam" among today's SV's is alive and well. In practice, I have personally witnessed the discrimintory treatment meted out by B SV's of both sects upon NB's in general, including SV NB's countless times, I don't care to count the number of times.

best wishes HH.....

Perhaps you have seen the side which NB bhagavathas do not get to see...truly how wud one know if comments are being passed on his caste behind his back.

Sad really...

Perhaps you have seen the side which NB bhagavathas do not get to see...truly how wud one know if comments are being passed on his caste behind his back.

No HH, I am not talking about what gets said behind the back, but the open discriminatory practices that occur everyday in all Sri Vaishnava temples and Matams. No NB Sri Vaishnava is allowed to join the "Goshti". No NB Sri Vaishnava can perform Vighraha Aradhanai even at me. Why Vigraham, they are not allowed to perform even Saligrama Aradhanam at their own homes, their caste based pollution can never expire until they expire :( prohibits them from touching the Saligramam, which is considered dhivya mangala vigraham of Sriman Narayana.

On one occasion, in a Matam I am familiar with, one of the Kainkaryaparas openly challenged whether a person was brahmin or not, as the thadeeya aradhanam (mid-day meals) that was being served was strictly for Brahmins. This happened in the year 2005. This must remind us of the seminal event in EVR's life when he was refused food in Kasi because he was an NB, that changed him forever.

best wishes....

My dear brother Nara

Greetings

I notice that you have agreed with some of the views, while you are still not ready to accept brotherhood without condition! I need not tell you that a conditional acceptance is no acceptance at all. Having made scathing attack even without getting to know the full facts, I do understand your predicament in agreeing unconditionally. My introspection many times has revealed that ego is the stumbling block in acceptance of facts. Until that is revealed, one needs to introspect continuously.

I have not missed the aspect of whatever you had stated in the thread “Engae Sri Vaishnavan?” In fact, I had just pointed out the fact that your sub-conscious mind does not even accept Sri Andal as a Brahmin despite she married Sri Ranganathar, and while so your advice on admitting other caste spouses into brahminhood by means of marriage will remain just a lip-service. More so, as to the position that any Bhagavatha Purusha who has accepted Sriman Narayana as the only Paramatman has to be worshipped as such, I do notice that such position does not include any Bhagavata Purusha who accepts Sri Shiva as the Paramatma. It is to be therefore noted that while interpreting any of the scriptures or literature, one must necessarily take into account the circumstances that prevailed at the point of time the same was created, and if that is not done, such interpretation has to be rejected or at least heavily discounted for the reason of incompleteness. It is only because you did not adhere to this basic rule that your posts show the contradiction that while you hold Sri Vaishnavam aloft when an Alwar advises against caste differences, you blame Hinduism when an Alwar advises annihilation of Samanar or Buddhist, as rightly pointed out by another forumite. Your abject condemnation of Manu Smirthi falls in this category of condemnation without taking an overall picture. Similarly your abject condemnation of Brahmins for the discriminations practised against the Scheduled Castes and Tribes also falls in the same category of condemnation without complete examination. Your condemnation of my advice or suggestion to produce two children is also without getting into the details and therefore falls in the same category.

You have asked me to answer you questions terming that I had ignored. As I see I have answered all your questions. If you go through all my posts you will surely find the answers. In respect of one of those answers HappyHinduji has responded as well.

Cheers

My dear brother Nara

Greetings

Here is an article from the site
http://saanron.webs.com/katuraikal.htm

I infer or surmise that this author is an affected person due to the downgradation of the dalits in the past centuries. I also infer that as a Tamil Brahmin you have so far seen this topic only from the view point of an “oppressor”, therefore you seem to be nudging a “feeling of guilt” and you have expressed your “Aathangam” by condemning the Manu Shastra in toto.

I am therefore now presenting to you another point of view – this time it is not mine – but that of some one who is so “oppressed”. In my various personal discussions with members of the oppressed communities, ranging over four decades, I have noticed that all of them do not consider that the Brahmins are a real cause of such oppression but on the contrary, it is their immediate next castes who are a cause. They are clear in their thoughts in this regard and they invariably state that these castes oppress because of their insatiable desire for more and more agricultural land, bossing over the dalits for keeping them permanently as agricultural labourers and their crave for political and administrative power. In fact some of them hold the view that the present day dalits were once upon a time Brahmins themselves and they were relegated as the fifth varna by deceit by the present day backward and most backward castes. This author also holds similar view. As such a deeper research into literature, history along with the present day politics and situations on ground show that the discrimination was brought about not by Manu Shastra or Brahmins, but the blame has been cast on both by the rulers in the past 100 years – first by the British and then by the DK, DMK and AIADMK because this position suits the rulers. It is well known that the Justice Party (a party of the so called Non-brahmin upper castes) supported the British and wanted the British Rule to continue and the DK,DMK and AIDMK continue that hegemony. It is unfortunate that some of the Tamil Brahmins also have fallen a prey to this wrong propaganda.

Cheers
வேளாளரின் வரலாற்றுத் திரிபுகள்

ப்ரவாஹன்

சதுரகிரி வேள் அவர்கள், நெல்லை நெடுமாறனும் அ. கணேசனும் சேர்ந்து எழுதியுள்ள 'அரைகுறை உண்மைகள் ஆபத்தானவை' என்பது குறித்த தனது கருத்துக்களை கடித வாயிலாகத் தெரியப்படுத்தியுள்ளார். அதைத் தொடர்ந்து தமிழகத்தில் நால்வருணம் இல்லை என்று வரிந்து கட்டிக் கொண்டு மற்றோர் கடிதத்தையும் எழுதியுள்ளார் (http://www.thinnai.com/?module=displaystory&story_id=80608046&format=html).

நால்வர்ணம் குறித்து தமிழகத்தில் வேளாளர்களின் நிலைப்பாடு எப்படிப்பட்டது என்பதை வே. கனகசபைப்பிள்ளை, '1800 ஆண்டுகளுக்கு முந்தைய தமிழகம்' என்ற நூலில் துலக்கமாகக் காட்டுகிறார். தொல்காப்பியம் கூறும் நால்வருண இலக்கணம் குறித்து அவர் கூறுகையில் "இதுதான் தமிழர்களை தங்கள் சாதி அமைப்புக்குள் கொண்டுவர பிராமணர்கள் செய்த முதல் முயற்சி. ஆனால், தமிழகத்தில் க்ஷத்ரிய, வைசிய, சூத்திர சாதிகள் இல்லாததனால் அவர்களால் வெற்றியடைய முடியவில்லை. மேலும் இதுநாள் வரையிலும் தன்னை க்ஷத்ரியன் என்று சொல்லிக்கொள்கிற ஒரு படையாச்சி அல்லது வைசியர் எனுந் தகுதிக்குரிய ஒரு வணிகர் வீட்டில் வெள்ளாளர்கள் உணவருந்தவோ தண்ணீர் குடிக்கவோ மாட்டார்கள்” என்கிறார். இதன் பொருள் நால்வர்ணம் இருக்கவேண்டும், அதை நாங்கள் திட்டவட்டமாகக் கடைப்பிடிப்போம். ஆனால் நால்வர்ணத்தைப் புகுத்தியதாகப் பழியை மட்டும் பிராமணர் மீது போடுவோம் என்பதுதான். இத்தகைய முரண்பாடு தமிழக வேளாளர் சமூக அறிஞர்களின் மனோநிலையில் இயல்பாகவே அமைந்திருக்கிறது என்று கருதுகிறேன். சதுரகிரி வேளின் நிலைப்பாடும் கனகசபைப் பிள்ளையின் நிலைப்பாட்டைப் பின்பற்றியுள்ளதுதான்.

தங்களுக்குச் சாதகமானவற்றின் மீது மட்டும் கருத்துக்களைக் கூறிவிட்டு முரணாக இருப்பதைக் கண்டுகொள்ளாமல் விட்டுவிடுவது அல்லது அத்தகைய உண்மைகளுக்கே (விளக்கங்களுக்கு அல்ல) உள்நோக்கம் கற்பிப்பது என்பதைத் தொடர்ந்து இத்தகைய ஆதிக்க சக்திகள் செய்துவருகின்றனர்.

முதல் கடிதத்தில் வேளாளர்கள் பிள்ளை என்ற பட்டத்தைக் கைப்பற்றிக் கொண்டிருக்கிறார்கள் என்று சதுரகிரி கூறியிருப்பது சரியே. அதை அவர்கள் கைப்பற்றிக் கொள்ளத் தேவையில்லை. ஏனெனில் அது அவர்களுக்கு மட்டுமே உரியது. தங்களை மூவேந்தர்கள் என்றும் குறுநில மன்னர்கள் அல்லது வேளிர் என்றும் அவர்கள் கோரிக்கொள்ள விரும்புவதற்கு முரண்பாடாக இந்த பிள்ளைப் பட்டம் இருக்கிறது என்பதைக்கூட விளங்கிக் கொள்ள முடியாத அளவிற்குத் தங்களுக்குக் கிடைத்துள்ள அரசியல் ஆதிக்கத்தைத் தொடர்ந்து தக்கவைத்துக்கொள்ளும் மனோநிலை வேளாளர்களிடம் ஊறியிருக்கிறது. அரசரின் சட்டபூர்வமான ஆண் வாரிசுகள் தங்களை இளவரசன் அல்லது இளங்கோ என்றே கூறிக் கொள்வர்.

தமிழக மூவேந்தர்கள் சூரிய-சந்திர குலத்தைச் சேர்ந்தவர்கள். தமிழகத்தில் கிடைத்துள்ள அனைத்து கல்வெட்டுகளும் பிற ஆவணங்களும் இதை உறுதி செய்கின்றன. ஆனால் வேளாளர்களோ கங்கை குலத்தவர்கள் அல்லது நதிக்குலத்தவர்கள். இந்த நதிக் குலத்தவர்கள் தங்களை வேளிர் என்றும் மூவேந்தர்கள் என்றும் கூறிக்கொள்வதற்கு என்ன ஆதாரம் இருக்கிறது? எந்த இடத்திலாவது மூவேந்தர்கள் தங்களை நதிக்குலத்தவர்களாக, கங்கை குலத்தவர்களாக கூறிக்கொண்டது உண்டா? அதுபோலவே வேளிர் என்போர் யது குலத்தவர் ஆவர். மேலும், சூத்திர வருணத்தவர் ஆன வேளாளர்களுடன் சூரிய-சந்திர குல க்ஷத்ரியர்களான மூவேந்தர்கள் மண உறவு வைத்திருந்தனர் என்று கூறுவது 13-14 ஆம் நூற்றாண்டைய உரையாசிரியர்கள் சங்ககால இலக்கிய வரிகள் மீது தங்கள் சமகால நிலவரத்தைச் சார்த்தி எழுதிய ஒன்றே தவிர வேறில்லை.

சங்க காலந்தொட்டு வேளாளர்களின் கடமைகள் அல்லது தொழில்கள் என்ன? இலக்கியங்களும் நிகண்டுகளும் சொல்கின்றபடி, வேளாளர்களின் முக்கிய கடமை மூன்று மேல் வருணத்தார்க்கும் ஏவல் செய்வது. மூவேந்தர்கள் மணவுறவு வைத்திருந்தனர் என்று கூறுவது ஆதாரமற்றது. மாறாக, எம் குலப்பெண்களை மூவேந்தர்கள் எம்மை இழிவு படுத்தினர் என்ற கோபத்தினால்தான் களப்பிர அரசர்கள் மூவேந்தர்களை சிறை செய்து தங்களைப் புகழ்ந்து பாடச் செய்ததற்குக் காரணம் என்று கூறினால் அது நியாயமாக இருந்திருக்கும். அரித்துவாரமங்கலம் பட்டயத்தை மேற்கோள் காட்டி நெல்லை நெடுமாறன், அ. கணேசன் ஆகியோர் கூறுவது தர்க்கபூர்வமாகவே உள்ளது.

மேலும், வேளாண்மை என்பதன் பொருள் என்ன? சங்க காலம் முதல் 17 ஆம் நூற்றாண்டு வரையுள்ள பல்வேறு நூல்களிலும் பயன்படுத்தப்பட்டுள்ள வேளாண்மை என்ற சொல்லுக்கு உபகாரம் என்றே பொருள். உழவுத் தொழிலைப் போற்றுகின்ற திருக்குறளிலும் கூட வேளாண்மை என்ற சொல் உபகாரம் என்ற பொருளில்தான் பயன்படுத்தப்பட்டுள்ளது. நிகண்டு நூல்கள் முக்கியமான வரலாற்று ஆவணங்களாகும். 8-9 ஆம் நூற்றாண்டைச் சேர்ந்த சேந்தன் திவாகரம் முதலில் வந்த நிகண்டு ஆகும். அதன் பின்னர் இயற்றப்பட்ட பிங்கலந்தை, சூளாமணி, வடமலை நிகண்டு, பாரதி தீபம் மற்றும் 17 ஆம் நூற்றாண்டு வீரமாமுனிவரின் சதுரகராதி உட்பட அனைத்து நிகண்டுகளிலும் வேளாண்மை என்ற சொல்லுக்கு உபகாரம், மெய் உபசாரம் என்றே பொருள் கூறப்பட்டுள்ளதே தவிர விவசாயம் என்றல்ல. வேளாளர்களை வேளிர்களுடன் தொடர்புபடுத்துவதைவிட வேளத்துடன் தொடர்புபடுத்துவது பொருத்தமாகத் தெரிகிறது.

வேளாண்மை என்பதற்கு விவசாயம் என்று பொருள் கொண்டு அதனடியாக நிலக்கிழார்கள் என்றும் எனவே வேளாளர்தான் வேளிர் (குறுநில மன்னர்) என்று சதுரகிரியைப் போன்றவர்கள் கோருகின்றனர். வேளாளர்கள் உழுதுண்போர், உழுவித்துண்போர் என்பதாகப் பிற்காலத்தில் பிரிக்கப்பட்டுள்ளனர் என்பதும் ஒரு வரலாற்று உண்மை. இதில் உழுவித்துண்போர் என்பவர்கள் நிலத்தின் உரிமையாளர்கள் அல்ல. மாறாக, அவர்கள் காராளர் என்ற தகுதி உடையோர் மட்டுமே. இந்தக் காராளர்கள் என்ன செய்ய வேண்டும் என்றால், ஐரோப்பிய நிலப்பிரபுத்துவத்தில் செய்வது போலவே, தங்கள் பகுதிக்கு நிலத்தின் உரிமையாளரான வேந்தர் அல்லது நிலப்பிரபு அல்லது ஆட்சியாளர் வருகை புரிகையில் அவர்க்குத் தேவையான அனைத்து உபசாரங்களையும் செய்ய வேண்டும்.

தமிழகத்தில் நால்வருணம் இல்லையென்று பல வரலாற்று ஆசிரியர்கள் வலிந்து கூறிவருகின்றனர். ஆனால் புறநானுற்றுப் பாடல் குறிப்பிடுகின்ற, வேற்றுமை தெரிந்த நாற்பாலுள்ளும் கீழ்ப்பால் ஒருவன் கற்பின் ... என்பதில் தொடங்கி தொல்காப்பியம் நான்கு வர்ணங்களையும் அவர்களின் கடமைகள் மற்றும் உரிமைகளையும் வரையறுத்துள்ளது. தொடர்ந்து வந்த சிலப்பதிகாரம், மணிமேகலை, பிற நீதி நூல்கள் என்று தொடர்ச்சியாக நால்வர்ணங்கள் குறித்த குறிப்பில்லாத நூல்களைக் காட்ட முடியுமா? வேளாளர்களை சதுர்த்தர் என்று குறிப்பிடாத நிகண்டுகளையாவது காட்டமுடியுமா? மேலும் நால்வர்ண இலக்கணத்திற்கு மாறாக தமிழக வரலாற்றில் நிகழ்ந்தவை எவையெவை என சதுரகிரி வேள் அவர்கள் பட்டியல் இடட்டும். நால்வர்ண இலக்கணத்தை ஒட்டி நிகழ்ந்தவைகள் எவையெவை என நான் பட்டியல் இடுகிறேன். எது அதிகம் என்பதை அவர்களே முடிவு செய்யட்டும்.

தமிழகத்தில் நான்கு வர்ணங்கள் இருக்கிறது என்பதை நன்கு அறிந்து கொண்ட வேதாசலம் பிள்ளை (மறைமலை அடிகள்) அவர்கள் அதைச் சரிக்கட்டுவதற்காக என்ன பாடுபடுகிறார் பாருங்கள். வர்ணத்தையே நாங்கள்தான் உருவாக்கினோம் என்று கூறிவிட்டார். சாதியையும் நாங்களே உருவாக்கினோம் என்று ஒப்புதல் வாக்குமூலம் அளிக்கிறார். வேளாளர் நாகரிகம் என்ற தனது நூலில், "தமிழகத்தில் முதன்முதல் உழவுத் தொழிலைக் காணும் நுண்ணறிவும், அதனாற் கொலைபுலை தவிர்த்த அறவொழுக்கமும், அதனாற் பெற்ற நாகரீகமும் உடைய தமிழ் மக்கள் எல்லாரினுஞ் சிறந்து விளங்கித் தம்மினின்று அந்தணர், அரசர் எனும் உயர்ந்த வகுப்பினர் இருவரையும் அமைத்து வைத்து, அறவொழுக்கத்தின் வழுவிய ஏனைத் தமிழ் மக்களெல்லாந் தமக்குந் தமதுழவுக்கும் உதவியாம்படி பதிணென் டொழில்களைச் செய்யுமாறு அவர்களை அவற்றின் கண் நிலைபெறுத்தித் தமிழ் நாகரிகத்தைப் பண்டு தொட்டு வளர்த்துவரலாயினர்” என்பார். அப்பதிணென் வகுப்பினர் கைக்கோளர், தச்சர், கொல்லர், கம்மாளர், தட்டார், கன்னார், செக்கார், மருத்துவர், குயவர், வண்ணார், துன்னர், ஓவியர், பாணர், கூத்தர், நாவிதர், சங்கறுப்பர், பாகர், பறையர் ஆகியன. இச் சாதிகளை பலபட்டடைச் சாதிகள் என்றும் அவர் கூறுகிறார். இவர் குறிப்பிடுகின்ற சாதிகள் சங்க இலக்கியத்தில் உயர்ந்தவையாகச் சித்தரிக்கப்பட்டுள்ளன.

"துடியன். பாணன். பறையன். கடம்பன் இந்நான்கல்லது குடியுமிலவே” என்கிறது புறநானூறு. ஆனால், வேளாளர்களோ பிற்காலத்தில் கரணம் அமைந்த பிறகுதான் குடியானார்கள் என்பதை தொல்காப்பியம் தெளிவுற எடுத்துரைக்கின்றது. சங்க காலத்தில் பறையர்களில் ஒரு பிரிவான அறிவர்கள் அந்தணப் பிரிவில் இருந்துள்ளனர். ("பார்ப்பார் அறிவர் என்றிவர் கிளவி யார்க்கும் வரையார் யாப்பொடு புணர்ந்தே” - தொல்) குயவர் எனப்படும் மட்பாண்டக் கைவினைஞர்களை சங்க இலக்கியம் 'வேட்கோவர்’ என்று குறிப்பிடுகிறது. வேட்கோவர் என்போர் வேள்வி செய்யக்கூடிய தகுதியுடையோர். சங்க இலக்கியங்களின்படி கண்மாளர்கள் சூத்திரர் அல்ல. விஸ்வகர்மா என தங்களைக் கூறிக்கொள்ளுகிற இவர்கள், தாங்களே உண்மையான அந்தணர் என்பதை நிரூபிப்பதற்காக மிகவும் பிற்காலத்திலும் கூட நீதிமன்றம் சென்று வழக்காடிய வரலாறு உண்டு. அதுதான் புகழ்பெற்ற 'சித்தூர் ஜில்லா அதாலத்’ எனப்படுகிறது. மேலும் தாங்களே சோழ அரசர்களின் குலகுருக்கள் என கம்மாளர்கள் தொடர்ந்து கோரிவந்துள்ளனர். இந்த இடத்தில் மரபாக இருந்து வருகின்ற சில சமூக மோதல்களை நாம் கவனத்தில் கொள்வது ஆர்வத்திற்குரியது. அதாவது தமிழ்ச் சமூகத்தில் கம்மாளர்களுக்கும் பார்ப்பனர்களுக்கும் இடையிலான இந்த மோதல் மட்டுமின்றி, பார்ப்பனர்களுக்கும் பறையர்களுக்கும் இடையில் தாங்களே உண்மையான அந்தணர்கள் என்கிற சண்டை தொடர்ந்து இருந்துவந்துள்ளது. அதுபோலவே பறையர்களுக்கும் கம்மாளர்களுக்கும் இடையிலும் சண்டை இருந்துவந்துள்ளது. நாவிதர் மற்றும் மருத்துவர் எனப்படுகின்ற சாதியினர், அம்பட்டர் என்ற பெயரில் அந்தணப் பிரிவில் இருந்துள்ளனர். இன்றைக்கும் வைணவக் கோயில்களின் பூசாரிகள் 'பட்டர்’ என்றே அழைக்கப்படுகின்றனர். அமாத்தியரான அம்பட்டர்கள் குறித்து தொல்காப்பிய உரையாசிரியர் இளம்பூரணர், "அமாத்திய நிலையும் சேனாபதி நிலையும் பெற்ற அந்தணாளர்க்கு அரசர் தன்மையும் வரைவில் வென்றவாறு” என்கிறார்.

இவை இங்ஙனமிருக்க வேளாளர்களை நான்காம் பிரிவினராக சங்க இலக்கியங்கள் காட்டுகின்றன. "மேலோர் மூவர்க்கும் புணர்த்த கரணம் கீழோர்க்காகிய காலமும் உண்டே” என்கிறது தொல்காப்பியம். இதன்பொருள், மணவினைச் சடங்குகள் இன்றி இருந்த நான்காம் வர்ணத்தவரான வேளாளர்களுக்கு மணவினைச் சடங்குகள் பின்னர் ஏற்படுத்தப்பட்டன என்பதாகும். மனுதர்மத்தில் சூத்திரர்களுக்கு திருமணம் இல்லை என்று குறிப்பிடப்பட்டுள்ளதை இத்துடன் ஒப்பிட்டுக் காணலாம். இவ்வாறு வேளாளர்களுக்கு மணவினைச் சடங்கு ஏற்படுத்தப்பட்டு இறுக்கமான குடும்ப அமைப்புக்குள் அவர்கள் கொண்டுவரப்பட்டதால் அவர்களும் குடி என்ற நிலைக்கு உயர்ந்தனர். இவ்வாறு குடி என்கிற நிலைக்கு மிகவும் பிற்காலத்தில் வந்ததாலேயே, உழுதுண்போரான வேளாளர்களை அடியற்றி உழவர்களை 'குடியானவன்’ என்று சொல்லுகின்ற வழக்கு நிலைபெற்றது.

வேளாளர்கள் காராளர்களாகி, களப்பிரர் ஆட்சிக்குப் பின்னர் நிலவுடைமையாளர்களாக ஆகிவிட்ட பின்னரும், வேளாளர் குலத்தில் உதித்து சோழ அரசனின் அமைச்சராக இருந்த சேக்கிழார், "நீடு சூத்திர நற் குலஞ்செய் தவத்தினால்” (இளையான்குடி நாயனார் புராணம்-1) எனவும் "தொன்மை நீடிய சூத்திரத் தொல்குல” (வாயிலார் நாயனார் புராணம்-6) எனவும் சூத்திரராகவே குறிப்பிட்டுள்ளார். வேளாளர்கள் எழுச்சி பெற்றுவிட்ட கி.பி.7 ஆம் நூற்றாண்டுக்குப் பின்னர் தொகுக்கப்பட்ட நிகண்டுகள் வேளாளரை, 'சதுர்த்தர்’ என்று குறிப்பிடுகின்றன. சேந்தன் திவாகரம், வேளாளர் அறு தொழிலில், 'இருபிறப்பாளர்க் கேவல் செயல்’ என்கிறது. வேளாளர் பத்துவகைத் தொழிலில் 'ஆணைவழி நிற்றல்’ என்றுரைக்கிறது. அடுத்து வந்த பிங்கலந்தை நிகண்டு, வேளாளர் பத்துவகைத் தொழிலில் 'ஆணை வழி நிற்றல்' என்கிறது. மிகவும் பிற்காலத்தில் தொகுக்கப்பட்ட வீரமாமுனிவரின் சதுரகராதி, சூத்திரர் தொழில், 'மூவர்க்கேவல் செயல்’ என்கிறது. கி.பி. 15 ஆம் நூற்றாண்டைச் சேர்ந்த புறப்பொருள் வெண்பாமாலை வேளாண் வாகையில் 'மூவர்க்கு ஏவல்’ வேளாளரின் கடமையென்கிறது. தொல்காப்பியம் 'வேளாண் பெருநெறி’ என்று குறிப்பிடுவதன் பொருள் விருந்தோம்பல். 19 ஆம் நூற்றாண்டில் நெல்சன் என்ற ஆங்கிலேயர் தொகுத்த Madura Manual என்ற நூலில் இது பற்றிய விவரங்களைப் பதிவு செய்துள்ளார்.

வேதாசலம் பிள்ளை, கனகசபை பிள்ளை போன்ற வேளாளர் சமூக அறிஞர்களின் நிலைப்பாடு, புலிக்கு பயந்தவனெல்லாம் என் மீது படுத்துக்கொள்ளுங்கள் என்று கூப்பாடு போட்டவனின் கதைதான். மேலே படுத்தவனையெல்லாம் புலி அடித்துவிட்டது. ஆனால், அடியில் படுத்துக்கொண்டவன் தந்திரமாகத் தப்பித்துவிட்டான் என்பது கதை. அதைப்போல, வெள்ளாளர்கள் தாங்கள் சூத்திரர் என்பதை மறைப்பதற்காக, அக்னி குல க்ஷத்ரியர்களான வன்னியர்களையும், சங்க காலத்தில் அந்தணருக்குச் சமமாக இருந்த பறையர்களையும், கம்மாளர்களையும், வேட்கோவர்களான குயவர்களையும், செல்வச் செழிப்பில் இருந்த வைசியர்களான செட்டியார்களையும் இன்னும் சில சாதியினரையும் சூத்திரர் ஆக்கிவிட்டனர். இதற்காக தமிழகத்தில் பார்ப்பனர் சூத்திரர் என்ற இரண்டே பிரிவுகள்தான் என்று மீண்டும் மீண்டும் கோயபல்ஸ் பாணியில் எழுதி நிலைநாட்டியிருக்கின்றனர். இப்போது அந்த அடித்தளம் ஆட்டம் கண்டுவிடுமோ என்ற அச்சத்தில்தான் வரிந்துகட்டிக்கொண்டு நிற்கின்றனர்.

போரில் ஈடுபடுவதனால் அல்லது அரசாட்சிக்கு வந்துவிடுவதால் மட்டும் க்ஷத்ரிய அந்தஸ்து கிடைத்து விடாது. மன்னர் கொடுப்பாராயின் இடையிரு வகையோருக்கும் படையும் ஆயுதமும் வழங்கப்படும் என்பது தொல்காப்பியம் குறிப்பிடும் மரபு. இருப்பினும் அவர்கள் வைசியர்களாகவும் சூத்திரர்களாகவுமே இருப்பார்களேயன்றி க்ஷத்ரியர் ஆகிவிடமுடியாது. அரசன்தான் அனைத்தையும் முடிவு செய்பவன் என்பதையும், பார்ப்பனர்கள் அல்ல என்பதையும் வள்ளுவர் தெளிவாக எடுத்துரைக்கிறார். "அந்தணர் நூற்கும் அறத்திற்கும் ஆதியாய் /நின்றது மன்னவன் கோல்” என்பது குறள். இதன் பொருளை உணர்ந்தால், சமூகத்தின் நன்மைகளுக்கு மட்டுமல்ல தீமைகளுக்கும் க்ஷத்ரியர்கள் பொறுப்பேற்க வேண்டிய கடமை உண்டு.

இது தொடர்பாக இன்னும் எத்தனையோ விசயங்களை எடுத்து வைக்கமுடியும் என்றாலும் தற்போது எனக்கிருக்கின்ற பல்வேறு பணிகளுக்கிடையில் ஒழுங்கற்றமுறையில் இதை முன்வைப்பதற்காக வாசகர்களிடம் மன்னிப்புக் கோருகிறேன்.

பிற்குறிப்பு: எந்த சாதியினர் மூவேந்தர் என்பது குறித்து எனக்கு எவ்வித கவலையும் கிடையாது. ஆனால் வரலாற்று உண்மைகள் வெளிச்சத்திற்கு வரவேண்டும் என்கிற ஒரே விருப்பம் உடையவன் என்கிற முறையில் ஒரு பொய்மையைத் தகர்ப்பதற்கான எனது சிறு முயற்சியே இக்கடிதம்.

My dear Brother Nara

As I said earlier, it was the Justice Party that carried on the propaganda that all non-brahmins are Sudras and in the process sowed the seed of hatred against the Brahmins amongst all non-brahmins. As I stated earlier, it is unfortunate that the same seed of hatred has spread amongst some of the Tamil Brahmins as well.

The same author referred by me earlier in the previous post further argues as to how the fifth varna is created. I am not copying and posting again but am providing the link.

சான்றோன் | ...எனும் ஒற்றைச் சொல்!

Cheers

Last edited:
My dear Brother Nara,

Questions must have come up in your mind as to -

1. Why did I (appaiah) first suggest to you to introspect when the topic was casteless society, a couple begetting two children and the like?
2. Why did I insist on your accepting my line of amity, harmony and brotherhood?
3. Why did I refer to ego as a mental block for non-acceptance of even brotherhood in toto without any reservation?

Whatever I had in my mind is revealed by the article in the following link. The author discusses the counter-views of Mahatma Gandhi and EV Ramasamy Naicker. He gives the simple solution being an extract from the book "Periyarum Gandhiyarum" Chapter 7. I chanced upon this article just yesterday (web site Thinnai.com) and this article just opens up the issues, as I see them. Ego travels from one platform to another and it shows its ugly head always. Very rightly pointed out by the philosopher J.Krishnamurthy.

Cheers

Thinnai

Friday December 3, 1999
[SIZE=+2]காந்தியார், பெரியார், சாதிகள்[/SIZE]
வீ செல்வராஜ்

காந்தியடிகள் ஆற்றிய இயக்கத்தின் பயனாக சுயராஜ்யம் கிடைத்தது. ஆனால் அனுபவத்தில் காண்பது என்ன ? வெள்லையராதிக்கம் இருந்த இடத்தை கருப்பராதிக்கம் பிடித்துக் கொண்டுள்ளது. தந்தை பெரியார் ஆற்றிய சுயமரியாதை இயக்கத்தின் பயனாக பார்ப்பனர் ஆதிக்கம் தணிந்தது. ஆனால் அனுபவத்தில் மேல்சாதி ஆதிக்கம் இருந்த இடத்தை தமிழ்நாட்டிலுள்ள ஒவ்வொரு சாதியும் பிடித்துக்கொள்ளப் போட்டியிடுகிறது.
காந்தியார் கண்ட கனவும், பெரியார் கண்ட கனவும் சமுதாய சமத்துவம் என்றாலும் சாதிப்பிரிவுகள் என்றும் போல் இன்றும் உள்ளன. அன்று அது கோவில், குளம், உணவு விடுதிகள் ஆகிய சமுதாய நிறுவனங்களைப் பீடித்திருந்தது. இன்று அது அரசியலில் தலைவிரித்தாடுகிறது. அரசு பதவிகளுக்கு சாதிவாரியாக உரிமை கொண்டாடுவதிலும், சலுகைகள் பெறுவதிலும் தீவிரம் அதிகரித்து வருகிறது. சாதி வேற்றுமை நமது சமுதாயத்தைப் பீடித்துக் கொண்டிருக்கிற சாபத்தீடாகவும் புதிராகவும் இருந்து வருகிறது. ஏன் ?
பண்டை காலத்தின் வருணாசிரம தர்மம் தடம் புரண்டதால் சாதிகள் உருவாயின என்பது காந்தியடிகள் கருத்து. வருணாசிரமம் குலைந்தால் சமுதாயத்தில் குழப்பம் ஏற்படும் என்று கீதையில் கண்ணன் உபதேசித்துள்ளதை அவர் சுட்டிக்காட்டுகிறார். வேறு எந்த சீர்திருத்தக்காரர்களையும் விட அவர் வருணாசிரம தர்மம் பற்றி அதிகம் ஆராய்ந்திருக்கிறார். பாரம்பரிய வழியாக ஒவ்வொரு தனிமனிதருக்கும் கிடைக்கும் பிறவிக்கூறு- மனிதசுபாவம் அல்லது சுதர்மம்- அதாவது சத்துவம், ரஜஸ், தமம் ஆகிய முக்குணக் கலப்பில் ஏற்படும் இயற்கையான வேறுபாடுகள் ஆகியவற்றை அனுசரித்து சமுதாயத்தில் உருவான நான்கு கடமை - தொழிற்பிரிவுகள் வருணாசிரம தர்மத்தின் அடிப்படை, இதன்படி பிராமணர், சத்திரியர், வைசியர், சூத்திரன் என்ற நான்கு வருணங்கள் தோன்றின.
சமுதாயத்துக்கு ஒவ்வொரு தனி மனிதரும் ஆற்ற வேண்டிய கடமை அல்லது தொழிற்பிரிவுகளே தவிர இதற்கு சாதிப்பிரிவுகளுக்கும் தொடர்பில்லை என்று காந்தி எச்சரித்தார். நான்கு வருணாசிரமங்களை அவர் ஆதரித்த போதிலும் சாதிப்பிரிவுகளை அவர் வன்மையாகக் கண்டித்தார். சாதி ஒழிப்பு இயக்கமும் நடத்தினார்.
நாளாவட்டத்தில் வருணாசிரம தர்மம் தடம் புரண்டது. நான்கு வருணங்களுக்குள் மேல் கீழ் வாதம் தொடங்கிற்று. சமுதாயத்தில் பிராம்மணர் முதல் சூத்திரர்வரை கீழ்நோக்கி வரிசைப்படுத்தப்பட்டனர். இதன் விளைவாக ஒவ்வொரு வருணத்திலும் மேல் கீழ் பேதம் கற்பிக்கும் உட்பிரிவுகள் தோன்றின. தீண்டாமைக்கு ஆளாகி சமுதாயத்தில் ஒதுக்கி வைக்கப்பட்ட பஞ்சமர் என்ற ஐந்தாவது வருணம் தோன்றிற்று. இத்துடன் வருணாசிரமம் உருக்குலைந்து நூற்றுக்கணக்கான சாதிகளாகப் பிரிந்து இந்திய சமுதாயம் சிதறிப் போயிற்று.
பிறப்பால், கடமையால், தொழிலால் ஏற்றத்தாழ்வுகள் கற்பிக்காத வருணாசிரம தர்மம் அல்லது அதன் அடிப்படையாகக் கொண்ட ஒரு சமுதாய அமைப்பு திரும்பவும் நடைமுறைக்கு வரவேண்டும் என்ற லட்சியக் கனவு காந்தியடிகளுக்கு உண்டு. நாட்டை ஆட்சி புரியும் ஜனாதிபதிக்கும் தெருக்கூட்டும் சமுதாய அந்தஸ்தில் ஏற்றத்தாழ்வு கற்பிக்காமல் அவரவர் இயற்கை சுபாவத்துக்கும் ஆற்றலுக்கும் ஏற்ப சமுதாயத்தில் கடமை ஆற்றும் நிலை உருவாக வேண்டும் என்று அவர் ஆசைப்பட்டார்.
தந்தை பெரியார் வருணாசிரம தர்மத்தைக் கடுமையாக எதிர்த்தார். ஒருவரின் பிறவிக் கூறுகளையும், பாரம்பரியதையும் வருணாசிரம தர்மத்தோடு இணைப்பதாயின் முன் ஜென்ம பாவ-புண்ணியத்தையும் மறுபிறப்பு வாதத்தையும் ஒப்புக்கொள்வதாகிறது. இது பெரியாருக்கு ஒவ்வாதது. முன் பிறவியில் புண்ணியம் செய்தவன் இப்பிறவியில் பிராமண வர்ணத்திலும் பாவம் செய்கிறவன் சூத்திர வர்ணத்திலும் பிறப்பதாகிறது. இதை அவர் ஒதுக்கித் தள்ளினார்.
காந்தியடிகள் வருணாசிரமம் பற்றிக் கூறியுள்ள சில பகுதிகள் தந்தை பெரியாரின் கருத்துக்களுக்கு ஏற்புடையவை அல்ல. அவை யாவன:
'வருணாசிரம தர்மத்தை பிறப்பை அடிப்படையாகக் கொண்ட ஒரு பிரிவினையாக நான் கருதுகிறேன் '
'எனினும் ஒரு சூத்திரர் வைசியரின் கடமையைச் செய்வதற்காக அவர் தம்மை வைசியர் என்ற பட்டம் சூட்டிக் கொள்ள வேண்டிய அவசியமில்லை. கேரளத்தைச் சேர்ந்த சுவாமி நாராயணகுருவை சமஸ்கிருதப் பண்டிதர் என்று கூறுகிறார்கள். அவர் பிராமணர் கடமையைச் செய்பவர். அடுத்த ஜன்மத்தில் அவருக்கு பிராமணராவது எளிதாகலாம். இந்த ஜன்மத்திலேயே ஒரு வருணத்திலிருந்து இன்னொரு வருணத்துக்கு மாறுவதென்பது பெரும் மோசடியாகும் '
'நமது முன் ஜென்ம கர்ம வினைகளின் பலாபலஙலை இப்பிறவியில் முற்றிலும் அகற்றிவிட முடியாது. இதன்படி பிராமண பெற்றோருக்குப் பிறந்த ஒருவரை பிராமணராகவே கருதுவது நியாயம். ஒரு பிராமணர் சூத்திரரின் தொழிலைப் புரிந்த போதிலும் அவரை பிராமணராகவே நடத்துவதில் உலகத்துக்கு நஷ்டம் ஏதுமில்லை '
இது போன்ற காந்தியாரின் கருத்துக்கள் மனிதரின் தன்மான உணர்வுக்கு ஒவ்வாதவை என்று அவற்றை பெரியார் புறக்கணித்தார். கடவுள், மதம், பாவ-புண்ணியம், மறுபிறப்பு போன்ற நம்பிக்கையிலிருந்து மீண்டாலன்றி சாதிகள் ஒழியாது என்பது அவருடைய வாதம்.
காந்தியடிகளுக்கும், தந்தை பெரியாருக்கும் இதில் நேர் எதிரிடையான கருத்து முரண்பாடு இருந்தாலும் அவர்களின் நாணயத்தில் முரண்பாடில்லை.ஆகவே இதில் எது சரியானது என்று ஆராயப்புகுவது என்னைப்போன்ர அப்பாவிகளுக்கு ஒரு புதிராகவே இருக்கிறது. ஆழ்ந்த பணிவும் விருப்பு வெறுப்பற்ற விசாலமான மனதும் இருந்தாலன்றி இப்புதிரை விடுவிக்க இயலாது.
என்னைப் பொறுத்தவரை ஞான வள்ளல் ஜே. கிருஷ்ணமூர்த்தி தரும் கல்வி எனக்கு உதவுகிறது. சத்தியம் என்பது fact எனப்படும். உண்மையுடன் தொடர்புடையது, belief அல்லது faith என்னும் நம்மிக்கை பறியதல்ல, உதாரணமாக உலகம் உருண்டை என்பது fact. ஆனால் மறுபிறவி, மற்றும் கடவுள் பற்றிய கற்பனை ஒரு faith. இது மனிதருக்கு மனிதர் மாறுபடுவது. இதனை பிறர் பேரில் திணிக்காதிருப்பதே நல்லது.
ஜே. கிருஷ்ணமூர்த்தியின் சிந்தனைப்படி பிறவியால் எழும் மேல் கீழ் வாதம் வாசனை ஏறிய மனதின் சுபாவமான தன்னகங்காரத்தின் விளைவாகும். மற்றவரோடு தம்மை ஒப்பிட்டுப் பாராமல், சுதர்ம பாவனையில் சுயமாக இருந்து ரசிப்பதை தன்னகங்காரம் பீடித்த மனம் நம்மை அனுமதிப்பதில்லை. இவ்வாறு ஒப்பிட்டுப் பார்த்து அகங்கரிப்பதற்கு சாதி, மதம், பாவம், புண்ணியம் போன்ரவை மனிதருக்கு அகப்படுகின்றன. இது பிராமணருக்கு மாத்திரமின்றி சகல சாதிகளுக்கும் பொது. தன்னகங்காரம் என்ற வேதாளத்துக்கு ஏற்ற முருங்கை மரம் இந்த சாதி, மதம்.
இதைப் புரிந்து கொள்ளாதவரை சாதிகள் எப்படி ஒழியும் ? இன்னும் பல காந்தியாரும், பெரியாரும் வந்த போதிலும் அது ஒழியப் போவதில்லை. சாதித்திமிர் ஒழிந்தால் மதத்திமிர், மதத்திமிர் ஒழிந்தால் பணத்திமிர், அது ஒழிந்தால் பதவித்திமிர் - இவ்வாறு தன்னகங்காரம் அதன் குதிரையை மாற்றிச் சவாரி செய்து கொண்டேதான் இருக்கும்.
இதற்கு மாற்று தன்னகங்காரமில்லாத தன்மான உணர்வு. தன்னைத்தானே புரிந்து கொள்வதற்கு தடையாக இருப்பது தன்னகங்காரம். அதற்கு உதவுவது சுயமான தன்மான உணர்வு. காந்தியடிகளும், தந்தை பெரியாரும் தன்மான உணர்வில் இணைவதால் அவர்களிடையே நிலவும் பல்வேறு கருத்து வேறுபாடுகளுக்கிடையிலும் புதிர்களுக்கிடையிலும் சமுதாய சீர்திருத்த பணிகளில் அவர்கள் ஒருமைப்பாடு காண்கிறார்கள்.
பெரியாரும் காந்தியாரும் என்ற நூலின் 7ஆம் அத்தியாயம்.

My dear Brother Nara,
Questions must have come up in your mind as to -

Welcome back dear brother, greetings!

When I get into a discussion I do not leave it hanging and go away for weeks. Now you come back and do another cut and paste snow job. It is better to paraphrase or quote the relevant or most appropriate passages and only provide a link to the original article.

Anyway, I will gladly engage you in a discussion if you are ready to make the time commitment here. If this is just something you want to do when you have nothing better to do, then leave me alone please.

In case you are ready to make the time commitment, let us resume the discussion with your answers to the following questions from post #168 from December 24, 2009. I raised these questions when you made the point that it was the caste NB's who are engaging in violence against Dalits and B's are not to be held responsible for them.

• Will you support admitting Dalits into schools that teach Vedas?
  • Will you support eradication of the caste system?
  • Will you support marriage between Dalit and Brahmin youngsters?
Once again, I request you to clearly state that you will spare the necessary time to this discussion. In the absence this commitment I will not respond to your posts.

Cheers my dear brother Appaiah

Thats all Raghy, I don't really want to get into who is more tolerant. As far as I am concerned, the more religious you get, the more intolerant you become, irrespective of which religion.

best wishes to you my dear friend....

I think I have cleared my dues with Mod's and hoping that I'm free to post here..

Prof.Nara, here one need to clarify the term 'TOLERANCE', before blaming it on religions..

Are you talking here about Tolerance towards Other religious 'persons'? If so I am with you.

But,If you are talking about tolerating religious/ philosophies/ ideologies/theories, I think, that would be not a good idea..

Newton'ians cannot be tolerated with Copernicans, though they all can co-exist as a friendly team of scientists experimenting in the same laboratory.

So, I feel, toleance is a human oriented term, which should not be related/inferred/benchmarked with religions.

And if the study carried out by the highly respected US thinktankWashington-based Pew Research Centre, is to be trusted, it would be disturbing few of your perceptions.

On religious discrimination, India next only to Iraq: US thinktank - India - The Times of India

Last edited:
Sri.sapr asked:-

"Are you talking here about Tolerance towards Other religious 'persons'? If so I am with you.

But,If you are talking about tolerating religious/ philosophies/ ideologies/theories, I think, that would be not a good idea.."

Sri.sapr, Greetings! Although the question was asked to Sri.Nara, the quote was in response to a part of the conversation I had with Sri.Nara. I was talking in basic terms as seeing a person as a person. (Actually my wife does not agree. She charges me that I do not see a person as a person, first. But that is not connected to this discussion. Then, why I wrote that? well, that's how I write).

"I feel, toleance is a human oriented term, which should not be related/inferred/ benchmarked with religions."

Why not? Day in and day out most monotheistic religions are spreading messages about thir 'tolerance' towards other religions. Now, what is 'tolerance'?

one of the dictionary for meaning 'tolerance' is - a fair, objective, and permissive attitude toward opinions and practices that differ from one's own.

There are more meanings , all of them talk about 'permissible'. Why 'permissible'? Where would a stranger get the authority to 'permit' me to do something based on something I believe (If that action does not hurt that stranger)? If I encourage such attitudes, slowly in a period of time, only my presence would become 'permissible'; not my (or my family) having a good time; making a conversation in ,my language within the ear-shot of others etc.

No sir. I just do not like to be merely tolerated by others. I like to live a free life. If I live in one area, I like to go where I like to;like to grow the plants I like to grow (without breaking the secular law, of couse!). In short I Like to do everything with freedom, without hampering other's right freedom and do what ever I do without interfering with others rights. I do not need anyone's 'tolerance'.

I do not like to infere 'tolerance' with other religions. I do not like to infere 'tolerance' within Hindu religion either. But, in Hindu religion it exists. A portion of Hindus are intolerant towards other fellowHindus. (That was the gist of the conversation. Sri.Nara has a very good understanding about my way of thinking. So, in our conversations, there are few things left unexplained, due to the lack of need for explaining!).

Cheers!

Last edited:
Just to add something. In malaysia when it comes to marriage, non brahmins are so particular about caste and practise all sorts of prejudice and discrimination and will oppose to any marriage to the so called unfavourable caste.

But when their children marry a chinese or ethnic malay muslim and even convert to other religions that time none of them ever thinks about caste and never question the chinese or malay daughter/son inlaw.
thats why when some non brahmins here talk about caste i just tell them off what caste is a chinese or malay?

Dear Smt Renuka Ji,

Absolutely right.

I have also seen some of the inter caste marriages. Are they marrying a poor from other caste?, are they marrying simply to abolishment of castes?. They simply marry, after seeing the wealth or financial status. Last week also, I have seen one such case here, a B girl running away with a Muslim Boy who is wealthy. The parent had to change their house from their locality to other place to avoid the mocking society. It is nothing to do with the motive of removing caste identity. Invariably, later, their child takes the father's caste in India right from the primitive time.

What about the parent of an intercaste married couple?, if the parent of the son in law or daughter in law is not having good social standing in the society. How many of them, if they live in the same society (i mean not in a forign land where there is a small elite community), would be accepting or encouraging those marriages.

I would also like to see, how many of the forward thinking B's parents would like to accept intercaste marriages to remove the caste disparity by accepting a son in law from a untouchables/ or any other castes, who does not have a good work or financial standing in the society.

Intercaste marriages between two financially or professionally well to do individuals are not going to help the society and it is a selfish act. We don't say this as "it is done because we want to abolish Castes". It is a pure individual's choice. The parent has to accept, and accept that graciously with so many faces. This type of marriages are only possible between two working professionals. :).

Regards

Just to add something. In malaysia when it comes to marriage, non brahmins are so particular about caste and practise all sorts of prejudice and discrimination and will oppose to any marriage to the so called unfavourable caste.

But when their children marry a chinese or ethnic malay muslim and even convert to other religions that time none of them ever thinks about caste and never question the chinese or malay daughter/son inlaw.
thats why when some non brahmins here talk about caste i just tell them off what caste is a chinese or malay?

:) so true renu..caste does not apply to any non-indian for that matter...no one who marries a white asks him/her for caste either...

i noticed that indians in malaysia are really the old set (who seem to still live in the 60s and 70s)....i dunno if my obervation is wrong, but it looks like the urban ppl in india are far ahead and more progressive thinking than some indian malaysians...

Dear Happy Hindu,

Malaysia has 3 major races living togather. Malays, chinese and indians.
each maintain their own culture here.
there are more hindu temples than mosques here.
malaysian indians are quite modern but maintain their culture at the same time.
not really old fashion but caste is strictly still maintained.

non brahmins here are really strict about caste when it comes to marriage.
they most of the while want their own caste or the so called "Su Jata"(good caste) only.
even if a tamil marries a malayali they will make sure that the caste of both are "Good"

I on my own do not bother too much about caste but i am not a supporter of interreligious marriage.
even when i was younger i never used to respond to any advances made by a non hindu or a non indian.

i only wanted to marry a hindu.

so i guess each one of us have our own preferences.

i only wanted to marry a hindu.

renu, are you ok with your children marrying non-hindus?

as for me, i was not particular abt religion in my teen years. nor was my spouse.

both my husband and i are ok if our kids were to marry someone of an other religion. as long as the person they marry is good character wise, has healthy habits, is educated enuf to earn a decent living, that's fine for us. and naturally ofcourse whatever makes the children happy is more important to us.

regards.

renu, are you ok with your children marrying non-hindus?

as for me, i was not particular abt religion in my teen years. nor was my spouse.

both my husband and i are ok if our kids were to marry someone of an other religion. as long as the person they marry is good character wise, has healthy habits, is educated enuf to earn a decent living, that's fine for us. and naturally ofcourse whatever makes the children happy is more important to us.

regards.
dear happy hindu,

religion was always my interest since the age of 9.
i love to read about all religions since a child and even till now.
I can to a certain extent read the arabic script also and read extensively about islam and christianity too.
i made it a point to learn sanskrit so that i can read my religion in depth.
actually i am a very open minded person and modern in outlook.
i hardly celebrate most hindu festivals becos i want everyday to be an auspicious day instead of just being holy on one day and be inddiferent on other days.
i feel everyday is as holy as any occasion as the power of God is unchangable and does not increase or decrease on any day.
i respect all religions but i see no harm in maintaning my own religion.

I am born as a Hindu and it must be for a purpose.
Just like my name is Renuka Karthikayan. My fathers name is Karthikayan and this name i will carry till my death the same way I will treasure the religion God gave me till death.

i only have one child a 10 year old boy.
when he is an adult he has the full freedom to marry any type of indian, any caste but the individual has to be a Hindu.

Dont get me wrong here.
I am not againts other religions but in most intereligous marriages Hindus lose out.
the other religions usually dominate.
all I want is to maintain my God given religion.

Interreligious marraiges come with lots of lifestyle differences.
Non hindus eat beef, pork which Hindus dont eat at all.
Imagine I refused all the proposals from Hindu mappilais I got because the prospective grooms wanted me to eat Non Veg.
I only said yes to my husband who respescted me being a vegetarian and never asked me to cook non veg also.
there are not many vegetarians non brahmins in Malaysia.

Coming to your question: I am not in favor of my son marrying a person of a different religion.
all i want him is to marry a nice hindu girl who matches him in his education, with good habits, not materialistic, religious yet modern and practical. her caste is immaterial to me.

Legally I cant stop him if he wants to marry an non hindu but i will not accept it and they can be happy on their own.
i can only do my duty as a mother to instill Hindu Values in my son.
i cant do more than that.
after all i came into this world alone and will also leave alone.
i can only depend on God and no one else.

Last edited:
Hello everyone,
It lot depends on people to people. Some parents are still supporting love marriage (most of the cases parents marriage were love marriage). But always arranged marriage would be the better option.

Dear Smt Renuka Ji & Smt HH Ji,

I respect both of your view points.

My children's shall have their way at an appropriate time, But, I am against alliance with other religions. Its my personal view, and my children are quite aware of it. I believe that they can take a better decision.

But, I am also against such Intercaste marriages which are done in the name of சமூக சீர்திருத்தம்.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back