• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Encouraging/Accepting Inter Caste Marriages

Will you encourage and support intercaste marriages from within your own family?

• Dont have an opinion right now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • May not support nor countenance it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Swami Dayanand Saraswathi and many others convert people of other faith to Hinduism. But they are very particular that this conversion is purely the choice of the individual concerned. They also do not encourage or indulge in mass conversions, as done by Christian missionaries.

They do not exploit others' poverty and sorrow to their benefit or for the benefit of Hinduism, for they do not believe in numbers.

Sri.Pannvalan Sir,

Swamy Dayanand Sarawathi may be doing the 'conversion' giving the prospect some 'panch gavyam' and chanting some slokas and what have you. Is there a sasthra based procedure that may be conducted in the mutts to convert one into Hinduism?

For example, I could walk into any church and if asked to be converted, they would readily comply by என் தலையில் தண்ணீரை கொட்டி, தடியால் அடித்து, complete my conversion with an expectation that I would start talking ill of Hinduism from that time onwards. This procedure is the same in any part of the world, in any church I could walk in.

I am asking about such universal sasthra based conversion procedure that could be conducted in any temple or mutt, please. Thank you.

Cheers!

Conversion to Hinduism

Adhisankarar has demolished Budhism/Jainism and brought people back to Hinduism.

Thirunavukkarasar was a jain converted to Saiva faith.

Ramanujar has brought lot of so called low caste Hindus to Vaishavite faith.

Alwars and Nayanmars demolished the Budhist/Jain faith in the erstwhile Chola, Chera, Pandia and Pallava Nadu. People switched over to Shaiva/Vaishnava faith.

Arya samaj is doing conversion to Hindu faith even today.

All the best

Sri.RVR Sir,

I am seeking to find the sasthra approved method for conversion in to hinduism, please. Arya Samaj don't count; they are not orthoxy. I like to know the current conversion rituals that would be conducted in Sankara Mutt in particular and in other orthodex mutts, please. Thank you.

Cheers!

Dear HH, you did not answer the main part of the question.

Here I repeat the question:
".... it precludes any change in varna due to change in outlook after leaving gurukulam. Such changes are all too common. "
The vedantins say shudra is not a jaati (or occupation). So there is nothing called a shudra section in terms of occupation. And therefore no question of alloting a 'shudra job'.

Then how is the reference to Shudra varna in the Rg Vedic verse interpreted by the non-Shankara Mutt Vedantins?

Here, please permit me to make one observation. Correct me if I am wrong, but you seem to use the very general term, "Vedantin" to refer to a articular sect of ekadanti vedantam. This is probably the reason for some of the objections your posts attract.

I know of some knowledgeable Sri Vaishnavas making claiintms that Sri Vaishnavam is the only "Parama Vaideeka" matham. For everyone, the interpretation provided by their acharya paramapara is the authentic interpretation. This is the problem with all Mathams, mine is right and your's is wrong :)

A study of the historical progression of the theory and practice of Varna and Jati is definitely interesting for those who seek an academic understanding. However, whatever Mutt is viewed as orthodox or accepted as orthodox, the vast majority of Hindus all over India believe, and act, in a way that makes no distinction between varna and jati, and both are strictly determined by the family in which one is born. That is a major problem that Hinduism must face head on.

Happy New Year to you and everyone else as well!

Dear HH, you did not answer the main part of the question.

Here I repeat the question:
".... it precludes any change in varna due to change in outlook after leaving gurukulam. Such changes are all too common. "

Please can you explain the question in a bit more in detail - am not able to understand.

Then how is the reference to Shudra varna in the Rg Vedic verse interpreted by the non-Shankara Mutt Vedantins?
Shudra varna is interpreted by them in terms that everyone is a shudra by birth. This interpretation is not restricted to the Rigved verse alone. They do not link varna to occupation. Varna to them is just the colouring or state of mind, so all men are born shudra and men who finally attain union with brahman is a brahmin.

Here, please permit me to make one observation. Correct me if I am wrong, but you seem to use the very general term, "Vedantin" to refer to a articular sect of ekadanti vedantam. This is probably the reason for some of the objections your posts attract.
Am not refering to a particular sect. The interpretations reflected are those of the monks of saraswati, giri and swami orders. From them i gather that all ekadandis interpret the varna part in the same way. So you may consider that the interpretations am referring to is that of all ekadandi sampradayams, except the ones represented by the mutts established by sri adi shankara plus kanchi matt.

Regards.

Last edited:
Shri Nara,
You are right sir. Vast majority of hindus are really confused about varna and they are not able to distinguish between jathi and varna. I am afraid birth is the present day criterion for jathi. happy New year to all. Venkat

Shri Nara,

Please also have a look at these discrepencies:

1) Manusmriti regards the Shakas with the Kambojas, Yavanas, Pahlavas, Paradas as originally a Kshatriya born groups (Kshatriya-Jatayah) and labels them all as having been degraded to Vrishalah status due to neglect of the Brahmanical codes and rituals.- Manusmiriti X.43-44

2) The Manusmriti, written about 200 AD states that the Sakas (Scythians), Yavanas (Ionian, Indo-Greeks), Kambojas (Central Asians), Paradas (Sinkiang), Pahlavas (Persians), Kiratas (Nepal, Assam), and Daradas (Dards) were originally noble Kshatriyas but were relegated to the Barbaric (Vrishala) status due to their neglect of the Brahmanas as well as due to their non-observance of the sacred Brahmanical codes (X/43-44).

3) Mahabharata, too similarly groups the Shakas with the Kambojas and Yavanas and states that they were originally noble Kshatriyas but got degraded to vrishala status on account of their non-observance of the sacred Brahmanical codes. - Mahabharata 13/33/20-2.

4) Though the Ashtadhyayi of Panini (sutra 4.1.168-175) attests that the Kamboja and Gandhara were very important Kshatriya kingdoms of Uttarapatha during or prior to Paninian times (500 BC), they came to be regarded as Sudras for not following the teachings of the Vedas. See more on ancient Kamboja Kshatriyas.

6) Puranic accounts attest that the Dravidas are Kshatriyas and are said to be descendants of the sons of Vishwamitra. Like the Kambojas, Sakas, Yavanas, Daradas, Khashas etc [48], the Dravidas were recorded as originally a noble Kshatriya people who no longer were initiated into the sacred thread due to their neglect of the Brahmanas as well as due to their non-observance of the sacred Brahmanical codes.[49]
In the ancient past, all hindus observed so-called brahmanical codes of conduct. All were required to perform sandhayavandanam, etc....ofcourse we are talking about times when varna was still not linked to jaati.

In all the above, if communities did not observe brahmanical codes of conduct (meaning if they no longer continued to perform upanayanam, etc), they are relegated to the vrishala or shudra status.

If so-called varnas (in the context of jaati-dharma) were birth-based, how cud this happen?

How come only a brahmin is a brahmin (and remains a brahmin) by birth; and how come all those who cease to observe a few rituals become relegated to so-called "shudra" status?

Its obvious (to me atleast) that linking varna to jaati is an artificial construct.

Hindu dharma is indeed a wonderful faith. But no one can feel happy in a faith which comes at the cost of degrading certain communities. Neither can it come by condeming people for their birth (very inhuman i wud say).

Regards.

Last edited:
personally, i look upon changing religion and name, as loss of identity, ie denying one's past and ancestrage.

since i live in the west, i have found people more civilized about these things. cannot say the same thing about india, where people carry their identity up in their sleeves all the time.

i do not believe, converting to a new religion makes one all that religious, except those who do it out of faith.

i think, it is the chauvinistic attitude of indians, that the girl follows the faith of her male lover. but i have seen the other way too, ie staunch catholic girls converting hindu boys prior to marriage.

to the catholic, it is the loss of face in his/her society if the partner does not convert or the children are not brought up as catholics. one of my girl relatives is married to a muslim, and the two daughters have hindu names. and hindu Gods in their household - that too in the middle east.

not sure how the family runs on a whole re faith.

recently, a friend of mine, lamented to us, that his son, a syrian christian is marrying a chitpavan brahmin. he, of that ancient faith, brought her by thomas, could not accept it.

however, just today i received a wedding invite. the couple are married in christian ceremony elabaoately. not sure if there is a matching hindu ceremony.

the couple live in the u.s. and i am quite sure that the wedding is to please the domineering parent (which in this case may be my friend). in the west, i have found, atleast to my limited level, the whites agree to hindu weddings, as they enjoy the spectacle. i guess my friend's son wedding will be a grand spectacle in chennai, judging from where the wedding and where the reception is located (open bar for instance in a posh hotel).

things will make life simpler, when we move to a irreligious society. but not for those people who want jathaga porutham, same cast, sub caste and also social circle. to them, marriage will still be complicated.

i would only like to tell the traditional members here, that when the axe falls in this issue, it comes all of a sudden. no amount of early doctrination and compulsion can resist the law of mating attraction. be prepared for it if it happens, do not abandon your children, and try to convert the other to your traditioins - they need not be religious, but have a respect for the artifacts like the temple structure, the beauty of our chants and above all certain celebrations like deepavali and pongal.

thank you.

Dear HH,

How come only a brahmin is a brahmin (and remains a brahmin) by birth; and how come all those who cease to observe a few rituals become relegated to so-called "shudra" status?

This statement is so very untrue. Since you maintain the POV of Sankara mutt practicing caste discrimination, let me quote what the Paramacharya quotes in this regard.

A brahmin family which has not done sacrifices for 3 generations will be called "Durbrhamanas" or "degenerate brahmins". They can still become brahmins by performing certain prayaschittas. What you need to note here is the Acharya does not call them as Shudras meaning originally the scriptures place the brahmana and shudra on a equal footing.

A brahmin family which has not chanted the Gayathri for three generations becomes a "Brahmana Bandu". Same with Kshatriyas or Vaishyas who become "Kshatriya Bandhu" or "Vasiya Bandhu". These bandhus can never become the original caste again (ie) there is no prayaschittam even. Again note that they don't become Shudras.

So the truth as per the Vedas is though a brahmin is born by birth he can easily lose the status. The Acharya also states that as long as the Shudra does his duties which is service to society he maintains his status. There is no question of degradation for him. Actually if one applies this yardstick to the present day brahmanas, most of them will be "Durbrahmanas" or "Brahmana Bandhus". This fact has to be put across to this community which the Acharya did even in his days. The Acharya also quotes about the advantages of being a Shudra( Tamil Content : kamakoti.org: ) He quotes Vyasa saying "Kalih Saduh, Sudrah Saduh" (The age of Kali is in no way inferior to other ages nor the Sudras inferior to other castes. Kali is elevated and Sudras exalted). In another place, he quotes Apastamba saying, "When in doubt ask the lady of the house or the Sudrah" in following his sutras.

These prove that caste discrimination is scripturally based is just vicious rumors floating around.

Dear HH,

This statement is so very untrue. Since you maintain the POV of Sankara mutt practicing caste discrimination, let me quote what the Paramacharya quotes in this regard.

A brahmin family which has not done sacrifices for 3 generations will be called "Durbrhamanas" or "degenerate brahmins". They can still become brahmins by performing certain prayaschittas. What you need to note here is the Acharya does not call them as Shudras meaning originally the scriptures place the brahmana and shudra on a equal footing.

A brahmin family which has not chanted the Gayathri for three generations becomes a "Brahmana Bandu". Same with Kshatriyas or Vaishyas who become "Kshatriya Bandhu" or "Vasiya Bandhu". These bandhus can never become the original caste again (ie) there is no prayaschittam even. Again note that they don't become Shudras.

So the truth as per the Vedas is though a brahmin is born by birth he can easily lose the status. The Acharya also states that as long as the Shudra does his duties which is service to society he maintains his status. There is no question of degradation for him. Actually if one applies this yardstick to the present day brahmanas, most of them will be "Durbrahmanas" or "Brahmana Bandhus". This fact has to be put across to this community which the Acharya did even in his days. The Acharya also quotes about the advantages of being a Shudra( Tamil Content : kamakoti.org: ) He quotes Vyasa saying "Kalih Saduh, Sudrah Saduh" (The age of Kali is in no way inferior to other ages nor the Sudras inferior to other castes. Kali is elevated and Sudras exalted). In another place, he quotes Apastamba saying, "When in doubt ask the lady of the house or the Sudrah" in following his sutras.

These prove that caste discrimination is scripturally based is just vicious rumors floating around.

Anand,

If you wish to follow the kanchi matt, i have nothing to say to you.

The more we discuss on this the more its going to create discomfort.

Reg your last sentence, i have already posted a few verses from the dharmashastras here: http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/37771-post207.html

No matter what you say (or no matter what the kanchi mutt propagates), no one can deny that caste discrimination is based on the scriptures.......And who else wud write or interpolate such scriptures, but only one community that has stood to gain from it for so long.

Regards.

Dear Shri Nara,
Dear Sapthajihva,

From what I gather, HH is simply giving another view that has some validity and following. Her view is consistent with prasthana thriya, but not with Dharmashashthras. But she has repeatedly reiterated that the Dharmashsthras are not accepted or followed by the non-Shankara matam ekadanti branch of Vedantam. There is some coherence to this position, just as much as your view which stays within the bounds of dharmashashthras, which you value, but she does not.
I have no problems in the premise of the argument, but the insensitivity shown to the other view is disturbing. happyhindu is blatantly sweeping the fourm and consistently demeaning the followers of the tradition. IMO, that is out of a complex.

Repeating 'ekadandis' over and over again, does not prove the point. It is rhetorical. There are various schools of thought on our scriptures from time immemorial. There is no need to go ga-ga over this.

Now to your question:
Even Dharmashashthras say that a Brahmin is one not just by birth, but by strictly following the edicts of shashthras. By this definition, even the most orthodox among Brahmins fall short. If you look at the Ahinkas, I have, I don't think even a single person living today is a Brahmin. So, what is point?
I accept the logic put forward. My contention is that brahmins by birth should strive to the maximum possible to follow the sampradhayas/karmas prescribed to them.

I am not here to voice any claim for the supremacy of any varna; rather, to try to depict the proper perspective.

There are a lot of variables for a brahmin to function as a brahmin, as prescribed in the shasthras; they require the society itself to be structured as per the varna dharma. Since, in this yuga, that is not possible, it is up to every brahmin to ensure that the most important karmas are not pushed to oblivion.

The reason I stress on karma is because it is the first step towards Gnyana, and then, to Bhakthi. Gnyana and Bhakthi is also possible otherwise, but the instances are rare.

So, my appeal is not to shed the identity lightly, rather to pursue it diligently.

Best Regards,

Dear Shri Sapthajihva:

Greetings!

Repeating 'ekadandis' over and over again, does not prove the point. It is rhetorical.

From what I have seen, HH is quick to make sincere amends if anyone takes offense. So, I think we can settle this without a lot of heat.

So, my appeal is not to shed the identity lightly, rather to pursue it diligently.
I understand your POV. While I was an observant SV, I had the exact same conviction. Having born into a Brahmin caste one must only look at the duties prescribed for that caste by the dharmashashthras, and never look at the privileges.

But, presently, I have come to believe the caste system, whatever the duties may be, by design separates people into a hierarchical gradation with increasing degree of oppression as the distance between the castes in the system increases. Well, I know that here is where our profound disagreement lies. I can live we that and I hope you can too.

Cheers dear brother...

Dear Shri Nara,I have no problems in the premise of the argument, but the insensitivity shown to the other view is disturbing. happyhindu is blatantly sweeping the fourm and consistently demeaning the followers of the tradition. IMO, that is out of a complex.
i saw a lot of sensitivity being shown to jamadagni from you....but ofcourse, everything that is a one-sided view is right and everything that does not tally with it is wrong.

so it comes down to demeaning "followers of tradition" - if this "follower" refers to you, then yes, i don't consider your logic as logic - its all just illogical crap to me. And just as you so easily have been passing comments on me, i too am entitled to post this opinion about you.

Repeating 'ekadandis' over and over again, does not prove the point. It is rhetorical. There are various schools of thought on our scriptures from time immemorial. There is no need to go ga-ga over this.
And repeating the POVs of jaati-dharma does not prove a point either. The ekadandis are the only advaitha monastic traditions that have been in existence since a very long time before Adi Shankara. And no use feeling insecure abt it, just bcoz their POVs does not tally with the POVs of the likes of jamadagni, the hindu taliban...

Methinks ppl like Kancha exist, because ppl like the hindu taliban exist...the DK politicians wud love to see the hindu taliban thrive, that way they can keep surviving with the anti-brahmin political platform...lets see how long can politicians and the taliban-types continue to keep fooling the masses...

Last edited:

Please can you explain the question in a bit more in detail - am not able to understand.

For example, when I was young, my only interest was goofing around. All my relatives thought I will amount to nothing. When my mother arranged a vadyar to teach me Sri Vishnusahasranamam, I routinely gave "dimikki" and never got past the initial set of invocatory verses.

This attitude continued well into my college days. In a gurukulam I would have never amounted to anything.

Over the years a lot changed. I even got to the point of reciting the entire Sri Vishnu Sahashranama by heart. At this point in my life I used to do thraikala sandhyavandhanam with 108 Gayathri without fail and somewhat elaborate thirvaradhanam for saligrama moorthy everyday. And now, look at me, an atheist, thinking a lot about the concept of god and why such a concept came about etc. (Renuka -- thinking about a concept does not mean one accepts the validity of the concept. A lot of African Americans think and talk about race, and obviously they are not racists because of that.)

If a varna was assigned to me at the end of the formative years in a gurukulam system, I would have been branded for life of servitude to the varnas of stature with no opportunity for movement.

I have heard Brahmins say that everyone is born shudra, and at upanayanam, one becomes whatever Varna one is born into. Since there is no upanayanam for Shudras, they remain Shudra for life.

But this is not the same as what you are saying, if I understand you correctly. if nobody is assigned to Shudra varna, then what is the need for mentioning the Shudra varna in the Rg Veda?

There are many practical problems with this system for it to have been in practice, but let us talk about just two first, (i) freedom to change varna and (ii) reason for the mention of Shudra varna in Rg Veda.

cheers!

p.s. You often go back and forth between evidence and interpretation/speculation. For example, your view about how dalits came about is speculation. How varna was practiced is your interpretation. These are fine. But then, you also talk about present conditions in more scientific term and connect them to some of your interpretations how caste and varna evolved. I have no problem with any of these, but I think you need to clearly identify to the readers which is which. I am totally in your corner with just one exception, namely, varna was a benign system and could still be one if practiced right. In my opinion, by its very nature, varna system cannot be a benign system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sri.Nara and Sow.Sri.Happy Hindu,

Pardon me for interrupting.

Sri.Nara,

"I have heard Brahmins say that everyone is born shudra, and at upanayanam, one becomes whatever Varna one is born into. Since there is no upanayanam for Shudras, they remain Shudra for life."

If everyone is born sudhra, and there is no upanayanam for sudhras, then there can not be upanayanam for anybody.

If a varna was assigned to me during my school years, I would have been sudhra. I was good (for that age) in cultivation. I could take care of rice paddy crop and sugarcane crop from the beginning to the end.

Cheers!

Dear All,

Please do not digress from the main topic.

Dear Raghy,

Conversion in Hinduism or propagation of Hinduism has never been its main agenda/goal. Forcible conversion or conversion by allurement is not to the liking of our Hindu path.

But, there must be a way out for people who are willing to come to Hinduism. That's
why this solution provided by Dayanand Saraswathi and all.

Merely because I do not support the concept of old age homes, I cannot say that there should not be any place for forsaken seniors. Simply because I do not want hotel food, I shall not say all hotels and restaurants must be closed. (Pl don't extend this logic for bad purposes).

As RVR has remarked, Hinduism has always taken back whoever wanted to come to its fold.

Prof Meera used to say, "Most of the Christians (nearly 99.9%) are rice Christians. They got themselves converted to Christianity on the promise of food, education and employment, during the last 300 years. Similarly, amongst Muslims, nearly 98% were converted from Hinduism during the last 1000 years. In case of Muslims, forcible conversion was resorted to by issuing threat and physical torture. In the recent past, many youngsters converted to Islam with the hope of getting job in the Gulf region."

So, all these persons' ancestors were Hindus and Hindus only. I remember one programme I saw on NDTV a few years ago. Dr Farooq Abdullah and Arun Jaitley also participated in it. When Arun Jaitley openly remarked that the ancestors of Farooq Abdullah were all Hindus and Kashmiri Pandits, Farooq Abdullah chose to smile and remained silent. Even today, many Kashmiri Muslims have their surname as 'Bhats', meaning pujari or bhattacharya. History has shown that Kashmir was once filled up with great Sanskrit and Vedic scholars.

Since I also committed the mistake of digression, let me stop here.

Shri Nara,

Yes i do reckon that my communication is not clear. When it comes to the topic of religion, I have been told that quite a few times before as well :)

To surmise, i cud say this:

1) As such, while discussing each time, it is difficult to mention the references. But if there is any point, where you seek references, please do mention so, i will provide the sources.

2) Whatever i have expressed about jaati not being by birth is the POV of the non-shankara advaitins. This is based on talking with them. To be specific - it is based on the POVs of the Saraswati, Giri and Swami sects. And they claim that their views of varna is common to all advaita sampradayams. But to me, it does not tally with the jaati-dharma explanations of the kanchi mutt.

When these non-shankra ekadandis are questioned directly about how different their teachings are from those of the kanchi mutt, their most common response is only silence. They are happy to express their POVs, they can also touch upon why the kanchi views are not really ok, but they will never say anything that can offend anyone.

If a varna was assigned to me at the end of the formative years in a gurukulam system, I would have been branded for life of servitude to the varnas of stature with no opportunity for movement.
The occupation asssigned post-gurukulam years is not a rigid one. To them, mainly varna is not jaati (occupation)) (or atleast, not in the sense that is propagated by the shankara mutts, as being rigid by birth). But they accept that varna came to be linked with jaathi as an unfortunate outcome of the ages, over time. However, they do not consider jaathi as birth-based - and that i think is the biggest diff b/w shankara and non-shakara advaita followers.

If a child showed aptitude is handling money, he was taught the art of trade, revenue, management, etc. But if he showed aptitude for the martial arts, he was trained as such. But that did not mean that a man trained in martial arts can never attempt to run a trade guild. So a man can be warrior cum administrator at one time, trader at an other time, or he can chose a life of spiritualism.

Let us also take into consideration that the number of occupations in semi-tribal societies were not many at that time.

I have heard Brahmins say that everyone is born shudra, and at upanayanam, one becomes whatever Varna one is born into. Since there is no upanayanam for Shudras, they remain Shudra for life.
This is the dharmashastra view. To the non-shankara advaitins, upanayanam only makes one a brahmachari, not a brahmin. Only when a man finally attains brahma-jnanam, he becomes a brahmin.

To the non-shankara advaitins, there is nothing called a shudra jaati. Sects that also teach purva mimansa ritualism to the students, conduct upanayanam for all their students. One unique example is that of the naga babas who conduct upanayam - they will be out this kumbh mela - so it wud be interesting for anyone who wants to talk to them to know abt their traditions.

If any of the ekadandis do conduct upanayanam, then upon sanyasam, however, 'almost all' ekadandis remove the thread (and they no longer perform rituals). I used the word "almost all" since I do not know about the unexplored traditions. There are very many ekadandi traditions that remain unexplored. So it is difficult to say with surety about their traditons as a whole. All I can is that if any of the students did undergo upanayanam, then upon sanyasam, the dasanamis (the ten names / sects of ekadandis) do not keep wear the thread.

Before Adi Shankara, there were a plethora of gods and goddesses, but Adi shankara streamlined hinduism to include only 6 dieties as main ones. Later Ramanuja streamlined hinduism to only Vishnu and his avataras and Lakshmi as main dieities. That does not mean, all the traditions before Shankara and Ramanuja, are not mainstream hinduism. They many not be popular as "popular hinduism", but they are part and parcel of everything that is there in hindusim. However, what we are talking abt today is "popular hindusim", that happened after the 8th century.

So the concept of who is a brahmin, has also undergone change. What the shankara mutts express, came to be the " popular hindusim "(and i think its thanks also to the british, apart from shakara and ramanuja, for popularizing that versions).

To me, the concepts expressed by the non-shankara mutts are those of mainstream ones, but not of "popular hindusim". These monks have always lived a quiet spiritual life away from social polity (and have adviced people only when their advice is sought), unlike the shankara mutts that propagate dharmashastras (shastras that control social structures, and interfere directly with social polity).

But this is not the same as what you are saying, if I understand you correctly. if nobody is assigned to Shudra varna, then what is the need for mentioning the Shudra varna in the Rg Veda?
Their interpretation of the whole purusha suktam is rather elaborate. Rather complicated i wud say. Am not blessed with that kind of writing skills to explain the whole content. But i can only say this - shudra mentioned in the rigvedic verse, to them, does not refer to occupations.

Last edited:
Sri.Nara and Sow.Sri.Happy Hindu,

Pardon me for interrupting.

You are hereby pardoned, but why are you seeking our pardon I don't know :)

You caught a logical fallacy, so you think my good man. Those who are born into a Dwaja family are allowed to have a second birth when they become Brahmin or whatever. But those who are born into Shudra varna are not allowed to have another birth and so they remain Shudra for life and stay polluted all their life.

Happy New Year Raghy!

.... grand spectacle in chennai, judging from where the wedding and where the reception is located (open bar for instance in a posh hotel).

K, I am so green with envy, open bar in a posh hotel, how come I am not getting any such invites?

....The occupation asssigned post-gurukulam years is not a rigid one. It cud be changed anytime

Sorry sister HH, this is just a claim. There are so many practical problems with this that there is just no way this would have been in practice at any time in the past no more than today.

One more thing, I don't think Shankara Matam stands alone in following Dharmashashthras. All Sri Vaishnava mutts do as well. For SV's, outside of Shruthi, there is no Smrithi more valid than Manu. Same is the case with the Dwaitees. This covers just abut all Hindus. So, when you criticize those who value Dharmashshthras, quite rightly I should say, please include the others as well, not just Shankara Matam.

Cheers!

Hey HH, I thought you were on vacation and how come you are getting on to the web site? Enjoy your vacation. (BTW, I am also on vacation and my wife is on my case for typing away :))

Sorry sister HH, this is just a claim. There are so many practical problems with this that there is just no way this would have been in practice at any time in the past no more than today.

Yes, probably it is. But then think of the communites all around us today. Are they the same castes that have existed in the past - have they not changed occupations over time? There are so many caste names in the census lists of the past - where did they all disappear?

If we really had followed the dharmashasta-model, how come shudras (like mudaliyars, naickers, gowdas / gounders, vanniyars, etc) became land-owners and administrators? How come women (like some queens of the nayaka kingdoms) were writing literature (poetry) in the pre-colonial times (meaning how come women were getting educated?).

So, going by what we see in practical life - i do think that the dharmashastra model was not put into effect. Perhaps, it was tried to be put into effect, but i do not think it really succeeded (atleast not in its entireity) - atleast not in south india, maybe.

One more thing, I don't think Shankara Matam stands alone in following Dharmashashthras. All Sri Vaishnava mutts do as well. For SV's, outside of Shruthi, there is no Smrithi more valid than Manu. Same is the case with the Dwaitees. This covers just abut all Hindus. So, when you criticize those who value Dharmashshthras, quite rightly I should say, please include the others as well, not just Shankara Matam.
:) Am not able to find a blanket term that covers all of the dharmashastra followers. Can you suggest a term please?

Hey HH, I thought you were on vacation and how come you are getting on to the web site? Enjoy your vacation. (BTW, I am also on vacation and my wife is on my case for typing away :))
Not just on vacations, i have always been under fire for spending more time with the PC than the family. Reminds me of Renu's post on internet addiction (read that and realized that i am an internet addict). Ok now that you have reminded me to enjoy my time, i shall take a break :)

Best regards.

PS: i have modified my post for clarity: http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/sociol...epting-inter-caste-marriages-7.html#post37809http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/sociol...epting-inter-caste-marriages-7.html#post37809

Last edited:
Dear HH

Anand,

If you wish to follow the kanchi matt, i have nothing to say to you.

The more we discuss on this the more its going to create discomfort.

Reg your last sentence, i have already posted a few verses from the dharmashastras here: http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/37771-post207.html

No matter what you say (or no matter what the kanchi mutt propagates), no one can deny that caste discrimination is based on the scriptures.......And who else wud write or interpolate such scriptures, but only one community that has stood to gain from it for so long.

Regards.

I am happy to reply to this as I lost my previous reply to you. Nothing will create discomfort for me as long as there is decency in the message conveyed. I have gone through the links for these dharmashastras long back and I can say they are a load of bull. I would rather dig out the original verses and sit with a guru and discuss. I have said this before. I also don't go by blind reading of what is available. I apply my logic to it. My logic is if the Advaita philosophy is true where there is no difference between the Creator and the Created, where everything is one, animate or inanimate but we are just born differently due to our karma phala and vasanas then there is no way the shastras are going to say another way as the Shastras derive their inspiration from the Vedas. I also apply other rules of logic. I generally hear or see how the Acharyas (both Sankara and ekadanti) have lead their lives based on the scriptures, how a whole lot of western Indologists have praised our scriptures and the standards of morality practiced even during our grandfather times and I can see that there should be no authority whatsoever in the Scriptures for caste based discrimination. You can show me a thousand translations on the net supposedly written by Apastamba or Gautama but I will not be convinced.

I appreciate your knowledge on the ekadanti mutts but will encourage you to know more about the Sankara tradition as well. I don't know much about ekadanti tradition but then I read Auto. of a Yogi by Yogananda (ekadanti) and presently trying to understand the Gita written by him and I have nothing but admiration for this saint. While Yogananda talks highly about Adi Shankara in his biography, the Paramacharya says about Yogananda's Gita "that such a noble being is born only when God himself wants him to be born on earth". These gurus saw god in each other which is how Sanathana Dharma has always functioned. I think one should learn to accept all traditions magnanimously ratehr than getting too emotional and biased.

I am happy to reply to this as I lost my previous reply to you. Nothing will create discomfort for me as long as there is decency in the message conveyed. I have gone through the links for these dharmashastras long back and I can say they are a load of bull. I would rather dig out the original verses and sit with a guru and discuss.

i have done the discussion with the gurus part. (on Manu and Gautama's dharmashastras).

its obvious most parts of the translations are literal - they clearly state superiority, inferiority, higher, lower...

there are verses in the smrithis that contradict itself - one verse can say something and another verse can say just the opposite. One example we already spoke abt was Manusmrithi example in this regard.

And am not touching on the interpolations yet..

And I have already reached the conclusion that you have mentioned -- the law-books are a load of bull.

I have said this before. I also don't go by blind reading of what is available. I apply my logic to it. My logic is if the Advaita philosophy is true where there is no difference between the Creator and the Created, where everything is one, animate or inanimate but we are just born differently due to our karma phala and vasanas then there is no way the shastras are going to say another way as the Shastras derive their inspiration from the Vedas.
The dharmashastras are not mentioning anything about advaita.

Advaitha was followed by the monks, and existed as a path / philosophy, long before Adi Shankara. Advaitha does not say some men are superior and some are inferior by birth (based on occupations).

Poorva mimansa does not even have the advaitha concepts of union with nirguna brahman and samadhi.

On what basis do you say that the dharmashastras derived their so-called "inspiration" from vedas or even advaitha? Please provide susbtantial proof to back-up this claim.

Please do not give me long explanations on "logic" or explanations (without references) as given in the kamakoti articles.

Please provide exact references from "shastras" or verses or from any source (from any language) that clearly mention how the dharmashastras were derived from (or were based on) the vedas and/or advaitha. Which parts of the vedas mention (or allude to) the rules mentioned in the dharmashastras?

Am wondering if iyers should be called shrauta instead of smartha since they are following shrauta rituals (and hardly follow the law portions of the smrithis).

I think one should learn to accept all traditions magnanimously ratehr than getting too emotional and biased.
I notice that such statements, and advice, is very easily given to those whom (we feel) are not expressing our ideologies (or not expressing what we want to hear). Wonder if they yardstick of acceptance, etc applies to themselves.

Anand,

i have a simple suggestion for you. In quite a few posts, you say you have not read the scriptures. Instead you base your arguments on logic and explanations given by other sources (like the kamakoti or vijayvani articles). Whatever you do, i request you to first please read the particular verses being discussed yourself (whether it be vedic verses mentioning animal sacrifices or the smrithis).

Regards.

Last edited:
Dear HH

i have done the discussion with the gurus part. (on Manu and Gautama's dharmashastras).

its obvious most parts of the translations are literal - they clearly state superiority, inferiority, higher, lower...

there are verses in the smrithis that contradict itself - one verse can say something and another verse can say just the opposite. One example we already spoke abt was Manusmrithi example in this regard.

And am not touching on the interpolations yet..

And I have already reached the conclusion that you have mentioned -- the law-books are a load of bull.

Even the Acharyas have agreed that there are differences in the Shastras. It is bound to be as these date ages back. There are also books written which try to reconcile these differences.

The dharmashastras are not mentioning anything about advaita. Advaitha was not the domain of those who follow dharmashastras.

Advaitha was followed first by the monks, long before Adi Shankara. Advaitha does not say some men are superior and some are inferior by birth (based on occupations).

Poorva mimansa does not even have the advaitha concepts of union with nirguna brahman and samadhi.

On what basis do you say that the dharmashastras derived their so-called "inspiration" from vedas or even advaitha? Please provide susbtantial proof to back-up this claim.

Please do not give me long explanations on "logic" or explanations (without references) as given in the kamakoti articles.

Please provide exact references from "shastras" or verses or any source (from any language) that clearly show how the dharmashastras were derived from (or were based on) the vedas and/or advaitha.

Ma'm. I find you quote extensively from the net and books written by Western authors. Apparently you trust them and give the quotes. The same way I trust the Paramacharya when he gives explanations on concepts. There are a lot of articles where he does quote the Vedic verse or the author (if you had cared to read it). Sometimes he offers his interpretations of the verse. As a Guru and a Acharya whom I revere I accept that. This works like faith. As long as we have a discussion, I am going to quote the Acharya as that is my base. Your question on the Vedas being the source of Smiritis, I give 2 links below. Given your stance against the Sankara mutts, it is up to you to accept them or not.

I did not say Adi Shankara invented Advaita. It was already there. He merely came by and strengthened the concept among the people. If I am a follower of the Sankara mutts which follow Adi Shankara who advocated the concept of Advaita and whose Acharyas also say that the Sruti is the base for the Smiriti it is logical that I am a Advaitin and bound to follow the Dharmasastras as well. Whether I follow or not is another question? As I said before, the Purva mimamsa is the foundational path for an ordinary man to attain nirguna braman and samadhi. It is not the only one.

I notice that such statements, and advice, is very easily given to those whom (we feel) are not expressing our ideologies (or not expressing what we want to hear). Wonder if they yardstick of acceptance, etc applies to themselves.

I do apply this to myself. I think myself as a moderate as I can accept all schools of thought. I can visit Sringeri, sit in a Sathya sai bhajan and attend Swami Nithyananda's lecture. To me as long as the Guru is doing good for society he is fair game. Isn't that what our religion says that all paths lead to One.

Anand,

i have a simple suggestion for you. In quite a few posts, you say you have not read the scriptures. Instead you base your arguments on logic and explanations given by other sources (like the kamakoti or vijayvani articles). Whatever you do, i request you to first please read the particular verses being discussed yourself (whether it be vedic verses mentioning animal sacrifices or the smrithis).

Ma'm,

When I talk about scriptures I have never quoted Vijayvani. Vijayvani is for more mundane things. For me it is only the Acharya. Simply put, I cannot read Sanskrit nor understand it so I don't go by the translations because I don't know if they are right or not. To me the mutts have no axe to grind (ie) there is no commercial element involved so I have a greater initiative to believe them. To satisfy my own standards of logic, I keep applying it to the broader perspective.

Regards.[/QUOTE]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back