• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Encouraging/Accepting Inter Caste Marriages

Will you encourage and support intercaste marriages from within your own family?

• Dont have an opinion right now

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • May not support nor countenance it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ma'm. I find you quote extensively from the net and books written by Western authors. Apparently you trust them and give the quotes.
The gurus who explained the manu and gautama smrithis are not western ones. I provided verses from the rigved on animal sacrifices - those verses were not written by western ones either.

Obviously your immediate reaction with western ones is AIT, vested interests, etc. Hope you will realize that not all western ones are "bad" just as not all indian ones are "good".

The same way I trust the Paramacharya when he gives explanations on concepts. There are a lot of articles where he does quote the Vedic verse or the author (if you had cared to read it). Sometimes he offers his interpretations of the verse. As a Guru and a Acharya whom I revere I accept that. This works like faith. As long as we have a discussion, I am going to quote the Acharya as that is my base. Your question on the Vedas being the source of Smiritis, I give 2 links below. Given your stance against the Sankara mutts, it is up to you to accept them or not.
Yes i cared to read the places where the verses were provided. In case of the explanation on smrithis, i did not see any valid explanation about how it came to be derived from or based on the vedas. Anyways, i do not see the hyperlinks - please provide them. To clarify, am not against the shankara mutts. The only thing i am not in favor of is the jaati-dharma the kanchi mutt propagates.

I did not say Adi Shankara invented Advaita. It was already there. He merely came by and strengthened the concept among the people.
And i did not say that you said so either.

If I am a follower of the Sankara mutts which follow Adi Shankara who advocated the concept of Advaita and whose Acharyas also say that the Sruti is the base for the Smiriti it is logical that I am a Advaitin and bound to follow the Dharmasastras as well. Whether I follow or not is another question? As I said before, the Purva mimamsa is the foundational path for an ordinary man to attain nirguna braman and samadhi. It is not the only one.
Alright, so in your case its a matter of faith and what you are bound to follow as your (and their) POVs. Anyways, can you please provide publications of Kanchi mutt that explain how the shruti is the base for smrithi ?

I do apply this to myself. I think myself as a moderate as I can accept all schools of thought. I can visit Sringeri, sit in a Sathya sai bhajan and attend Swami Nithyananda's lecture. To me as long as the Guru is doing good for society he is fair game. Isn't that what our religion says that all paths lead to One.
There are several quotes in the vedas that also say that all men are one. Obviously, our minds tend to apply 'selectivity' somewhere.

When I talk about scriptures I have never quoted Vijayvani. Vijayvani is for more mundane things. For me it is only the Acharya. Simply put, I cannot read Sanskrit nor understand it so I don't go by the translations because I don't know if they are right or not. To me the mutts have no axe to grind (ie) there is no commercial element involved so I have a greater initiative to believe them. To satisfy my own standards of logic, I keep applying it to the broader perspective.
lets not talk about commercial involvements anand.

regards.

Dear HH,

It says the file size is exceeding the limit. If you prefer I can send it to your email id.

thanks

First of all, I am glad that, inspite of your much clamoured break, you are able to actively participate here...

i saw a lot of sensitivity being shown to jamadagni from you....but ofcourse, everything that is a one-sided view is right and everything that does not tally with it is wrong.
There can be no two-sided views in a one-sided discussion such as this- right? So no use calling my views as one-sided. To me, and to countless others, they ARE fair.

so it comes down to demeaning "followers of tradition" - if this "follower" refers to you, then yes, i don't consider your logic as logic - its all just illogical crap to me. And just as you so easily have been passing comments on me, i too am entitled to post this opinion about you.
You are very generous with me. The choice of expression is an insight into the perception of the mind.
And repeating the POVs of jaati-dharma does not prove a point either. The ekadandis are the only advaitha monastic traditions that have been in existence since a very long time before Adi Shankara.
Advaitha is not the only philosophy expounded in the vedas - there are Bhedha Shruthis, Abedha Shruthis and Ghataka Shruthis. The sampradhaya which you quote is only a follower of the Abedha Shruthi. That does not mean that their views should be accepted by all or that their interpretation is THE correct one!
And no use feeling insecure abt it, just bcoz their POVs does not tally with the POVs of the likes of jamadagni, the hindu taliban...
Just another example of your complex taking over in expression, I suppose. If I were insecure, I would not have entered into a debate/discussion in the first place!

No use belittling Jamadagni here - he is not here to reply to you!

perhaps the poll would be more a reflection of the current inclusive thoughts of this forum if it offered the options as:

if my child married out of caste i would

- disown it for life
- accept it reluctantly
- accept it with open arms

and the other poll

if my child marries out of hinduism (ie a practising muslim or christian or bahaai etc.), i would

- disown it for life
- accept it if the partner converts to hinduism
- accept it even if my child converts to the partner's religion

i am not sure if we have such polarized attitudes towards buddhism, jainism or sikhism.

it would also be interesting to note, if our child married another acceptable TB, except that the partner was a follower of periyar, and wanted a சுய மரியாதை wedding, with MK presiding :)

So, going by what we see in practical life - i do think that the dharmashastra model was not put into effect. Perhaps, it was tried to be put into effect, but i do not think it really succeeded (atleast not in its entireity) - atleast not in south india, maybe.

Dear HH, hope you are having fun both on the internet and with the family. I am having a whale of a time all day and in the evening with the beach breeze gently blowing, I catch up on all the posts (K, with something in my hands and you know what).

Now, let us see, for a system like what you suggested to work we need to have a wide university type system with some reasonable quality control. I doubt very much anything like that existed.

The most likely case is, strictly insular varnas during times of stability and some upwards and downward movements between varnas during times of change. Brahmins always stayed on top as their acceptance is required to cement the new ordering.

This model explains both the strictly hierarchical segmentation we see even in Ramayana on the one hand, and movement that resulted in Shudras becoming Kings and senior administrators, on the other.

In any case, the varna system was a system for control and domination and a very inefficient system as it prohibits individuals from pursuing their true calling. The sooner Hindus get over it, the better it is for them.

:) Am not able to find a blanket term that covers all of the dharmashastra followers. Can you suggest a term please?
Vaideekas may be a term the other side may accept, without mentioning Shankara Matam specifically. Or, may be "Smarthas and other Vaideekas" may work.

if my child married out of caste i would

How about these,

if my child wishes to live in a monogamous and loving relationship with someone, but does not want to marry in the traditional/legal sense. i would

- disown it for life
- accept it reluctantly

and,

if my child wishes to live in a monogamous and loving relationship with someone of the same sex, i would

- disown it for life
- accept it reluctantly

- disown it for life

There can be no two-sided views in a one-sided discussion such as this- right? So no use calling my views as one-sided. To me, and to countless others, they ARE fair.
i did not say your views are not fair.

when you say things like non-shankara ekadandis are "questionable", then i am equally entitled to convey that the shankara mutts are also "questionable".

You are very generous with me. The choice of expression is an insight into the perception of the mind.
same here. the fact that you so easily claim others have a complex, and go on to make comments on the poster, very well shows where your mind lives..

Advaitha is not the only philosophy expounded in the vedas - there are Bhedha Shruthis, Abedha Shruthis and Ghataka Shruthis. The sampradhaya which you quote is only a follower of the Abedha Shruthi.
Who said so? They are not following only abedha shruti. There are also sects that are outside the ambit of differences in the understanding of vedanta; and do not consider themselves as conforming to either advaitha, visishtiadwaita or dwaita. Each of the various sects amongst ekadandis have / follow their own principle disciple (but also study others). These are the very monks and sects which Adi Shankara tried to organise but succeded only very nominally (and why only that very nominal success happened is fairly well known). What the current Shankara mutts claim, or rather what the kanchi mutt claims - in terms of jaati-dharma - is not what is propagated by the tradition which the kanchi mutt considers itself from (or claims itself to be from).

That does not mean that their views should be accepted by all or that their interpretation is THE correct one!
That also does not mean the interpretations of the shankara mutts (or to be specific, those of kanchi mutt) is the correct one! Or that their views should be accepted by all.

Just another example of your complex taking over in expression, I suppose. If I were insecure, I would not have entered into a debate/discussion in the first place!
yes, and we end up going around in pointless circus circles repeating the same POVs.

No use belittling Jamadagni here - he is not here to reply to you!
But you are there...and am sure he is reading. He can always come back under an other monicker to reply..

Last edited:
Dear HH, hope you are having fun both on the internet and with the family. I am having a whale of a time all day and in the evening with the beach breeze gently blowing, I catch up on all the posts (K, with something in my hands and you know what).

Now, let us see, for a system like what you suggested to work we need to have a wide university type system with some reasonable quality control. I doubt very much anything like that existed.

The most likely case is, strictly insular varnas during times of stability and some upwards and downward movements between varnas during times of change. Brahmins always stayed on top as their acceptance is required to cement the new ordering.

This model explains both the strictly hierarchical segmentation we see even in Ramayana on the one hand, and movement that resulted in Shudras becoming Kings and senior administrators, on the other.

In any case, the varna system was a system for control and domination and a very inefficient system as it prohibits individuals from pursuing their true calling. The sooner Hindus get over it, the better it is for them.

Vaideekas may be a term the other side may accept, without mentioning Shankara Matam specifically. Or, may be "Smarthas and other Vaideekas" may work.

Dear Nara,

What if jaathis did not belong any varna at all?

And what if the development of brahmins cementing new hierarchies happened in later times? Or did such a thing happen at all? Or were brahmins merely making claims in the colonial times?

Please have a look at the tamil castes - do you see any kshatriyas there? any vaishyas there?

i remember having read an article on tamilnation.org which said there are no kshatriyas in the tamil lingustic group..

Going by history, the mukkalathors were organized into a group by muthuramalingam thevar. They do not perform upanayanam, are meat-eaters, and their claims of being kshatriya are very recent.

Same goes for nagarathars. They are famous for their non-veg chettinad cuisine, skip upanayam and their claims of being vaishya varna are recent.

Moving to Kerala. The samantha kshatriyas there are documented to have originated come from the local nair community. There is no vaishya varna in kerala either.

Going to karnataka, the veerashaiva community has doubled as the trading faction as well as fighter factions (against mulims) there. A good many communites of the local landed gentry claim to be kshatriyas. Some were previously Jain.

Moving to andhra. Its the same scenario of Kerala. Rajus deny that their community was derived from the local landed folk, however, historians do mention that the local landed gentry in andhra claimed to be kshatriyas in later times (and in cases of various castes, am not touching on genetic differentiation yet).

Komatis were recognized as vaishya only in the 1901 census after repeteadly going to courts to be recognized as vaishya varna: http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/philosophy-traditions/2290-being-vegetarian-14.html#post26643 Please read "Religion and public culture: encounters and identities in modern South India" by Keith Yandell and John Paul. They have detailed violence incidents based on caste recognation for varna status in andhra.

On to Bengal, the kayasthas claim to be kshatriya. There are hardly any vaishya folk or trading communities there. Instead, Kayasthas also do trading there. Both kayasthas and the other trading folk in bengal are considered shudra by the brahmins there (and the brahmins there btw are documented to be late entrants into bengal).

So where does varna figure in terms of jaati or occupations performed?

To me, it looks like brahmins were never needed to cement new hierarchies. But brahmins tried to bull-doze their way into creating heirarchies. As far as ceremonies are concerned, kings cud always 'brahmanize' other folk and get them to perform ceremonies for them.

Looks like its all just a claim, that brahmins, were on top of the varna pole.

But looks like they did try to make such a system, either by creating literature of that kind or by using sheer violence; but whether they succeeded or not, is left to anyone's guess. Obviously the british popularized their version of the caste system.

If you ask the old folk (75+ ones), nobody will say a brahmin is superior to them (am talking of folks from the nayaka or naicker, mudaliyar or vellalar, pillai, kallar, and maratha communities).

One elderly man summed it this way - "well, that's what they have always claimed, but no one considered them like that...they were always dependent on others, even for land grants.." And on advice, he said "i do not know how such claims are made...they always sided the winning side...how can anyone arrive at a decision based only on a brahmins advice..they were used mainly for ceremonies only.."

And am really wondering if claims of brahmin superiorty are recent...

Regards.

Last edited:
Sow.Sri.happy Hindu said:-

"Moving to Kerala. The samantha kshatriyas there are documented to have originated come from the local nair community. There is no vaishya varna in kerala either."

According to some sources, Nairs were late arraivals. I came across an interesting article. here -

Boston University School of Theology Archives

Wish you happy properous 2010.
Cheers!

According to some sources, Nairs were late arraivals. I came across an interesting article. here -

Boston University School of Theology Archives

Wish you happy properous 2010.
Cheers!

oh raghy, that's the archives of wikipedia discussions...that 'caste and race' part was written by someone called jammfly.

but yes its true that the nairs are not homogenous community... they are very wide and varied....there is a wide variation in their allele frequencies, haplogroups, etc..so its obvious that the community's members have been derived from various tribes / origins; and/or various people become nairs.

the "indigenous" or "arrival" part is open to debate.

the earliest population distribution was along the coastlines. after that, it is generally accepted that people have moved from top to bottom lands, that is, from northern to southern lands. There has also been movement from south to north, but research in migratory patterns (based on genetics) is generally very lacking...

a very happy new year to you too raghy :)

Sri.Nara said:-

"BTW, I am also on vacation and my wife is on my case for typing away :))"

Sri. Nara, I was itching to write this. I am requesting you to find a way to apologise me, please! ( This is like pleading for an anticipiratory bail!).

Now in relation to the quoted message....

......க்கு வாழ்க்கபட்டா புளிய மரம் ஏறிதானே ஆகணும்?

Cheers!

Who is the real Brahmin??

One who possesses "Satvika" Gunam, does not covet or accumulate worldly possessions, eats only what he can collect by begging in just 5 houses is a Brahmin. Just being born in a Brahmin family does not make one a Brahmin even if he applies Vibhuthi or Namam! "The definition insists that he alone is a Brahmin whose thoughts are as much Sattvik as his actions are" - The Holy Geetha by Swami Chinmayananda IV/13 Page 257. So, how many can lay a claim to being a Brahmin in the first place? I can't! Instead of wasting time in idle pursuits why not spend the time more usefully like say helping the less fortunate fellow beings?? At the end of the day there are three fates awaiting the "Navadwarapure" (the nine gated city) - be reduced to ashes, eaten by insects or turned into bird poo. Yet there is so much attachement to this physical body leading to egocentricty bordering on magalomanaical tendencies with the only predominant thoughts being "I" & "Mine" & totally forgetting/ignoring "Ma kuru Dhana Jana Yauna Garvam; Harati Nimeshat Kalaah Sarvam"

Dear Sri Venkatpasupathi,

Many thanks for your support. I thought I will be mauled & lynched for my comments - I probably will still be! Your kind support is very much appreciated.

Sekar Iyer

Dear Sri Venkatpasupathi,

Many thanks for your support. I thought I will be mauled & lynched for my comments - I probably will still be! Your kind support is very much appreciated.

Sekar Iyer

sekar,

wishful thinking (re mauling and lynching). sorry sir, to disappoint you. here we do no such stuff. but we do a lot of cyber hugging. which under certain circumstances may be worse :)

my answers in blue

How about these,

if my child wishes to live in a monogamous and loving relationship with someone, but does not want to marry in the traditional/legal sense. i would

- disown it for life
- accept it reluctantly

and,

if my child wishes to live in a monogamous and loving relationship with someone of the same sex, i would

- disown it for life
- accept it reluctantly

- disown it for life

Kunjuppu,

I saw your answers to two of the issues raised by Sri Nara below and I would like to congratulate you on your broad mindedness and under these circumstances gladly accept your cyber hugging.

Dear K, the questions were not for you, I already know what your answers will be, remember we belong to the same club no one else will care to join :)

Happy NY!!!!

Mama,

Is this club exclusive to North American men by any chance?.

Btw since homosexual relationships and cohabitation is thrown in the mix, why only monogamous?. I know quite a few people who are in a very loving polygamous relationship. And its perfectly legal in many countries as well.

And its perfectly legal in many countries as well.

Polygamy was indeed legal in Utah for a long time. The Mormons agreed to make it illegal as a price to become a state of the United States.

The practice of polygamy I have read about is a male dominated system. Women go along due to religious indoctrination.

Polygamy that is non-religious and if women and men are equally free to choose multiple partners, it may be alright. But human nature makes this extremely unlikely to work.

So I will be concerned for my children and would advice against it. I will urge them to consider all the consequences of a such a choice. If they still choose it, I will support them and still love them no less.

Happy NY to you, dear Amala ....

I posted these comments under "Decriminalisation of Article 377". It is equally aplicable here:

I am a happily married man, but I find the judgemental, patronizing & discriminating comments on Gays & Lesbiansnot in good taste at all. In fact such comments that incites hatred will land people making them in the court of law in Europe & North America. Please ponder on the following:
1. "whose dualities (e.g. hatred & likes) are torn asunder those Rishis obtain Moksha". The Holy Geetha; V/25
2. He who is of the same mind to the good-hearted, friends, relatives, enemies, the indifferent, the neutral, the hateful, the righteous & the unrighteous excels. The Holy Geetha; VI/9
3. "He who sees Me everywhere (including in Gays & Lesbians) & sees everything in Me, he never gets separated from Me, nor do I get separated from him" The Holy Geetha; VI/30
4. He who, through the likeness/sameness of the Self (Soul), Oh Arjuna, sees equality everywhere (& in everything - sentient & insentient beings) he is regarded as the highest YOGI. The Holy Geetha VI/32
5.He who hates no beings (human or otherwise!) who is friendly & compassionate to all, who is free from... is dear to Me." The Holy Geetha. XII/13 & 14

Not buying Times of India is fine but please do buy a copy of The Holy Geetha by Swami Chinmayananda. This great Book will open the gates to real knowledge and lasting peace and will forever destroy hatred.
P.S. I have no shares in the sales of "The Holy Geetha"!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back