• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

India: Cash reward offered for inter-caste marriages

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasad1

attachment.php

The government in Uttar Pradesh, northern India, is offering newlyweds 50,000 rupees ($810; £530) and throwing in a medal and certificate too, the Times of India reports. There's only one condition - either the bride or groom must belong to one of India's "scheduled castes". The term refers to those on the lowest rung of the Hindu caste system, who are officially considered socially disadvantaged. Inter-caste marriages are still considered taboo in India, and there have been cases of couples being murdered by their own families - so-called honour killings - as a result of mixed relationships.

Social activists in the region have welcomed the new incentive, saying it could help to change public opinion. "It will be hard to immediately change the mind-set of people even after the prize money, but it's a step forward," says Rohit Chaudhry, himself one half of an inter-caste marriage. "Every person has the right to choose who he or she wants to live with. No-one should be persecuted on the basis of caste or faith." To pocket the cash, couples need to have their marriage certificate authenticated by a magistrate before being forwarded on to the local authorities, the website says. Eight couples in the city of Meerut have already signed up and are due to take the plunge at a joint wedding ceremony on 8 February, just ahead of Valentine's Day.

Attachments

• _80648695_85971015.jpg
    _80648695_85971015.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 233
tamil nadu has this reward system since the 1970s. and J introduced also buying gold thali & sari to the bride in cases where these were considered poor

This is also risky..cos some Non schedule caste boy might just fake it to be interested in a schedule caste girl and make use of her just to get the cash reward...then he might ditch her after that.

I feel when it comes to marriage do not let money be thy motive.

There is no statistics about the success rate of such marriages in Tamil Nadu. Despite incentives, caste is still a major factor for politicians, who created such schemes, to win elections.

The duty of Government elected by people is to provide education and employment opportunities to poor people and not arranging marriages. The people will decide once they settle in their life. Though rationalism is the mantra in Tamil Nadu, only populism and emotional outburst are order of the day.

Not sure about the success rate of these marriages. UP is entrenched in casteism...It is plain vote bank politics,,Mulayam is trying to nudge the Dalits to ditch the Mayawati bandwagon

I remember when one of my extended family members a few years back married a lower caste in tamil nadu , the grand parent got emotional and told the guilty couple to get rewarded by

govt and refused to attend the wedding.Another facing a similar issue refused to recognise the NB son in law for a lifetime.

this caste business is dicey . even the most educated and enlightened , when it comes to marriage, they would prefer their caste and sub caste.

only the NB poor can be compromised thru cash incentives. brahmins even if poor are not normally swayed much by monetory incentives.

Last edited:
I have a humorous real story on this . One vaishnavite tamil brahmin colleague of mine was initially ready to settle the marriage of his daughter to a NB the girl was in love

with. He thought he could save on marriage and dowry expenses on jewellery etc. when the boys father set terms for some jewellery etc , he immediately backed out

saying he is a brahmin. He instead found another boy , a brahmin with lesser demands on his purse. ultimately in his case , brahminism could have been compromised

with money.

Was the girl mute and pliable to sacrifice love; girl with strong values!

I have a humorous real story on this . One vaishnavite tamil brahmin colleague of mine was initially ready to settle the marriage of his daughter to a NB the girl was in love

with. He thought he could save on marriage and dowry expenses on jewellery etc. when the boys father set terms for some jewellery etc , he immediately backed out

saying he is a brahmin. He instead found another boy , a brahmin with lesser demands on his purse. ultimately in his case , brahminism could have been compromised

with money.

Was the girl mute and pliable to sacrifice love; girl with strong values!
the girl was emotionally blackmailed . her mother threatened to commit suicide.

the father got his job transferred to another city and moved away with daughter.he got her married citing his poor health and other excuses , parents give to get their

way. She married another person I heard unwillingly and one girls life sacrificed by stupid parents

. ultimately in his case , brahminism could have been compromised

with money.

I wouldnt know the extent to which you were privy to the vaishnavite's real thoughts to have come to a conclusion like this. But it could also be that the father could have accepted the match initially to show the real intentions of the boy's side.

So with the available info that you have given it is not possible to conclude that, in this instant case, brahminism could have been compromised !

I wouldnt know the extent to which you were privy to the vaishnavite's real thoughts to have come to a conclusion like this. But it could also be that the father could have accepted the match initially to show the real intentions of the boy's side.

So with the available info that you have given it is not possible to conclude that, in this instant case, brahminism could have been compromised !
Auh ji
One really does not know how much a human can compromise. This incident happened when the father was facing a health and financial crisis due to some unexpected event and

thought that marriage of his daughter with a academically good NB with a good job and no financial demand could be the answer to his troubles.

two issues here.

i think the government's money reward is just that. it is not an incentive to marry intercaste. but if you do IC marriage we will reward you. that is all. no more.

next dowry and IC marriages. in the recent case of ilavarasan and divya, made famous by ilavarasan's murder - a dalit boy marrying a vanniar girl. soon after the elopment, ilavarasan's parents accepted divya, and sent word to divya's parents for the standard dowry amount. which was paid. what i found out later, is in many many IC marriages, the boy's parents, still demand dowry, and the idiot boys go along with it. dont know if this is prevalent among tambram girls marrying out of caste.

When new generation thinks high of their caste or religion.. properly fed with information/tradition by parents to kids - this kind of gimmicks will not sell! Religion conversion sale went through and now it is turn of caste conversion sale.. really Indian leadership is lacking vision of future and focussing on bigger things good for the country.

tambram girls think that since they are higher caste and fair looking , NB boys if they are in love with them should accept them unconditionally without dowry.

Dowry in brahmin community is one of the things they are escaping from in addition to inlaws and orthodoxy as practised by boys parents.

besides if NB families are well off they can escape from lower middle class living in TB homes. thery also have the notion that parents would be saved from economic

misery that brahmin marriages involve in terms of spending.

tambram girls think that since they are higher caste and fair looking , NB boys if they are in love with them should accept them unconditionally without dowry.

Dowry in brahmin community is one of the things they are escaping from in addition to inlaws and orthodoxy as practised by boys parents.

besides if NB families are well off they can escape from lower middle class living in TB homes. thery also have the notion that parents would be saved from economic

misery that brahmin marriages involve in terms of spending.

what about tambram girls marrying punjabis or u.p.wallahs? i presume this is common in delhi?

54 years ago, one of my mother's first cousin married a punjabi brahmin. both were medical students in trivandrum, and fell in love. she was dark and he was tall and fair. the eldest son of a family of 8, who had very strict expectations from the madrasi dil. a handsome dowry + all the income from the medical practice, in turn, needed to pay the dowries of 4 of the daughters, and educate the three younger sons. which she complied without a murmur. and so did her parents.

she seldom came to the south after marriage. both her sons married delhi girls and she (if alive) has probably forgotten all her talayalam and how to appreciate keerai molagoottal.

north specially punjabis are the most materialistic and money minded as they lost everything due to partition of india and they have seen poverty and misery and worked

their way up again.the dowry harassment and deaths are very high in punjabi community. many of them are in business..UP higher castes brahmins etc , one is a little

safer if they are in delhi and are civil service officers.

In the armed forces , central bureaucracy,university colleges professional bonding takes precedence over caste.

I know of many successful marriages between north and south boys and girls. their parents belonging to these professional classes and they have arranged marriages

due to friendship of parents.

north specially punjabis are the most materialistic and money minded as they lost everything due to partition of india and they have seen poverty and misery and worked

their way up again.the dowry harassment and deaths are very high in punjabi community. many of them are in business..UP higher castes brahmins etc , one is a little

safer if they are in delhi and are civil service officers.

In the armed forces , central bureaucracy,university colleges professional bonding takes precedence over caste.

I know of many successful marriages between north and south boys and girls. their parents belonging to these professional classes and they have arranged marriages

due to friendship of parents.
hi

punjabis are meant for DAHEJ......they need ONLY FERRARIS AS DAHEJ......MAY 100 THOLA SONA....very crazy ppl...

dear tbs garu

in the film ''two states'' chetan bhagat depicted the punjabi mindset craving for car ,sona and

wedding with pomp and show.

I really wish brahmin weddings less money is spent at weddings on wedding halls and dresses and

food much of which is wasted. instead it could be given to couple to start their life with items useful

to them in life.

I have attended a wedding in chennai in rajarajeswari mandapam where literally thousands got

served food in four halls. felt it was a kumbh mela. literally lakhs were thrown away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back