• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tambrahms

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is a nice ThirukkuraL which says that the external appearance is NOT important for a man!

மழித்தலும் நீட்டலும் வேண்டா உலகம்
பழித்தது ஒழித்து விடின். (குறள் 280)

Explanation:

There is no need for a shaven crown or a tangled hair, if a man abstains from those deeds, which the wise have condemned. :cool:

Dear TBS Garu,
From my limited exposure to Vaishnavas I think I have to agree with you to a certain extent.
I have noted Vaishnavas are either totally Orthodox or totally Heterodox.
This is not only with TBs...even among the NBs who adhere to Vaishnavaism I have seen this..they are always on the either end of the spectrum and almost never thread the middle path.

This is just a flight of fancy.

All smarthas coming together to say vaishnavas are extremists or pacifists and not in between.
Ask a vaishnava and he will say something else about himself and smarthas.

Coming to the flight of fancy. I had a flight of fancy yesterday as I was taking my evening walk. It went like this:

How awkward is the creature called humans. A body structure which is highly unstable by the laws of physical sciences when it stands on its two legs or walks. Worse is when it runs. The center of gravity precariously falling somewhere in a straight line through midway between the legs. And the two hands awkwardly hanging on two sides. The ambling and moving figure must be making the horses and donkeys laugh. And what lot of words have been said and written about the beauty of this most awkward looking creature!!

Look at a horse. How well formed is it. lithe chiseled body with well defined profile and well formed muscles all visibly packed with power. And stable on four legs. You can never push a horse and make him fall or tumble down. And what a walk. Majestic. When it is a trot the coordinated stomps and bending of legs is a beauty to watch and when it is a gallop your heart races along with it. There is music in everything about it.

And look at an elephant. How beautiful it is?

And look at an ant. Ant appears to be the fastest moving creature on earth. Humans have conveniently defined speed as distance covered in a given unit of time. Ask an ant. He will say it is the distance covered in a given unit of time measured in terms of its body size. Thus he will say he covers 10000 times his body size in half an hour whereas a human being walking can never achieve that stupendous target.

So fanciful thoughts have no limit. They will become acceptable to others only when there are endorsements. Please get endorsements for the views on vaishnavas by asking christians and muslims because their views will be unbiased in this matter. And never go to a smartha to ask about a vaishnava. LOL.

Last edited:
Dear TBS Garu,

From my limited exposure to Vaishnavas I think I have to agree with you to a certain extent.

I have noted Vaishnavas are either totally Orthodox or totally Heterodox.

This is not only with TBs...even among the NBs who adhere to Vaishnavaism I have seen this..they are always on the either end of the spectrum and almost never thread the middle path.
hi

thanks....

There is a nice ThirukkuraL which says that the external appearance is NOT important for a man!

மழித்தலும் நீட்டலும் வேண்டா உலகம்
பழித்தது ஒழித்து விடின். (குறள் 280)

Explanation:

There is no need for a shaven crown or
a tangled hair, if a man abstains from those deeds, which the wise have condemned. :cool:[/QUOTE

Sozhiyan Kudumi Summa Aduma? (Will a sozhiyan’s tuft shake for nothing? )

சோழியன் குடுமி சும்மா ஆடுமா?

To understand the proverb we need to know that :
- in the olden days, a caste of people, presumably from Chola kingdom, involved in money matters, were referred to as ‘sozhiyan’.
- ‘Shaking the kudumi’ is the result of nodding one’s head.

This proverb is normally interpreted as to mean that if a sozhiyan agrees (nods his head in agreement) to do something in your favour, there has to be some purpose or gain for himself. Hence the current usage of the proverb - to describe someone offering to help with some ulterior & selfish motives that may not be apparent.

In reality this proverb stands forSozhiyan Kudumi Summaadu aguma?
Summadu means ‘buffer padding for the head for carrying a load’, normally made of rolled up cloth. This is to support the load as also to cushion and protect the head from any scratches / injuries etc.
Thus the proverb states that even if the sozhiyan has a big tuft, it will not substitute for the buffer padding on one’s head. He would still need the summadu for carrying head loads.

Thus the proverb flows :சோழியன் குடுமி சும்மாடு ஆகுமா?” (Will Sozhiyan's tuft ever substitute the buffer padding on the head?)

Kudmi is essential for doing business symbolically without spoken words !!

One post went totally tangential, even while Vaagmi Sir equated some S = S! :D

Anyway, there existed a star writer in our forum - many of us were admirers of his style - who once upon a time was a staunch

VaishNavite but later got enlightened, to become an admirer of the one-who-should-not-be-named-in-our-dear-forum. :thumb:

guesssssssssssss..lol

T

Look at a horse. How well formed is it. lithe chiseled body with well defined profile and well formed muscles all visibly packed with power. And stable on four legs. You can never push a horse and make him fall or tumble down. And what a walk. Majestic. When it is a trot the coordinated stomps and bending of legs is a beauty to watch and when it is a gallop your heart races along with it. There is music in everything about it.

And look at an elephant. How beautiful it is?

And look at an ant. Ant appears to be the fastest moving creature on earth. Humans have conveniently defined speed as distance covered in a given unit of time. Ask an ant. He will say it is the distance covered in a given unit of time measured in terms of its body size. Thus he will say he covers 10000 times his body size in half an hour whereas a human being walking can never achieve that stupendous target.

All I do is look at the mirror..I like what I see!..why waste time seeing ants..elephants..horses..rats..cows etc!LOL

Last edited:
Please get endorsements for the views on vaishnavas by asking christians and muslims because their views will be unbiased in this matter. And never go to a smartha to ask about a vaishnava. LOL.

Dear Vaagmi ji,

I am actually an unbiased neutral observer cos I am not a TB to start with.

So my opinion does carry some weight!LOL

Dear Vaagmi ji,

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Vaagmi
Please get endorsements for the views on vaishnavas by asking christians and muslims because their views will be unbiased in this matter. And never go to a smartha to ask about a vaishnava. LOL.
Dear Vaagmi ji,

I am really wondering why the self appointed certifying authority of this forum wants endorsement for the views on Vaishnava! He has Certified a few has as ignorant Vishnavas!!! Few Smarthas as MBAs remember?

Dear Vaagmi ji,

renus, good point.

but more than that, what people ie non vaishnavas, are trying to say here, is how they view the community. my mother used to have the same view, and i am not saying it is right or wrong. one cannot stop having opinions, and these are based on their experiences.

in the same manner, we all have discussed how the entire NB tamil community views us. and there are as many opinions about it as there are members here. and there is some grain of truth, i believe, in each one of what we belief, some fallacy and some wishful thinking.

vaishnavas can deny it, which we see here. or hit back, which we see here. or they can try to put themselves in the position of the others, and try to rationalize it. which we do not see here. perhaps to a person, they all feel it is absurd to do it.

which too is ok. :) but the opinions will remain and as i feel, nobody in this forum has changed anyone's views. but only used it to voice their own. some with logic, arguements and reasoning. some others with epithets, curse words and dislike. :) and that too appears ok from the moderator pov. :)

we have a common pillayar temple in toronto, where we have one side for perumal, and the front for ganapathy, the centre for murugan and the other side for siva/parvathi. the vaishnavas troop only to the extreme right to the perumal, do their sevikkal and troop out without even glancing the other deities. some others who are not familiar with the vaishnavite rules are surprised. and some like me, am not and take it in my stride. such is life. and it is never good to comment on someone's religious practice.

Last edited:
.......... All smarthas coming together to say vaishnavas are extremists or pacifists and not in between.
Ask a vaishnava and he will say something else about himself and smarthas.........

How awkward is the creature called humans. A body structure which is highly unstable by the laws of physical sciences when it stands on its two legs or walks. ............
Even in our dear forum, most of us are experts in teasing others!

BTW, please don't generalize Smarthas, Sir; I am very much here in forum! :lol:

I have a few Vaishnavite friends who pray in the Shakthi Vinayakar temple in our colony and wear the viboothi prasadham.

But, I am sure you will brand them as 'NOT true Vaishnavites'!
And.....we humans can use the grey matter to comment on fellow human beings in a flowery language, to amuse ourselves!! :decision:

Dear Vaagmi ji,

Renukaji,

The problem here is not between two brahmins. It is between the followers of two faith systems. You follow one of the two faith systems and so stands disqualified. I said get endorsement from a christian or a muslim for that precise reason.

kunjuppuji,

You said this:

.........and it is never good to comment on someone's religious practice.

I agree with you.

And I would like to add this:

If you comment you should be prepared for the unpleasant consequences.

I have a few Vaishnavite friends who pray in the Shakthi Vinayakar temple in our colony and wear the viboothi prasadham.
And.....we humans can use the grey matter to comment on fellow human beings in a flowery language,toamuse ourselves!! :decision:

I never knew flowery language is used to amuse oneself. Thanks for the info. LOL.

And.....we humans can use the grey matter to comment on fellow human beings in a flowery language, to amuse ourselves!! :decision:

And.....we humans can use the grey matter to comment on fellow human beings in a flowery language, to amuse ourselves!!
hi

And.....we humans can use the grey matter to comment on fellow human beings in a flowery language, to amuse ourselves!!

not only human beings....sometimes animals tooo...see temple elephants have different faith...sometimes there

big quareel abt temple elephant's faith.....which went to supreme court for judgement..lol

Renukaji,

I said get endorsement from a christian or a muslim for that precise reason.

Really? Do I really need to ask a Non Hindu to be a judge for Hindu faith systems?

I technically do not adhere to any one school of thought...I have an open system that is everything and anything is God.

So I would still prefer to call myself unbiased and neutral.

Imagine asking a Non Hindu to endorse a Hindu faith systems.

What do you expect them to say?

I did not read the whole thread but just saw this. In fact, there are reports that all day to day decisions and running of the behemoth organization (Google) is left to Sundar. The title is but one way to asses who is at the top. In terms of the influence Sunder wields the most infuence

Not quite clear. Really. Take it from me. The guy likes to keep a low profile. I think this has helped him rise to the top. He will never challenge Larry/Sergey and so is not a threat.

renus, good point.

but more than that, what people ie non vaishnavas, are trying to say here, is how they view the community. my mother used to have the same view, and i am not saying it is right or wrong. one cannot stop having opinions, and these are based on their experiences.

in the same manner, we all have discussed how the entire NB tamil community views us. and there are as many opinions about it as there are members here. and there is some grain of truth, i believe, in each one of what we belief, some fallacy and some wishful thinking.

vaishnavas can deny it, which we see here. or hit back, which we see here. or they can try to put themselves in the position of the others, and try to rationalize it. which we do not see here. perhaps to a person, they all feel it is absurd to do it.

which too is ok. :) but the opinions will remain and as i feel, nobody in this forum has changed anyone's views. but only used it to voice their own. some with logic, arguements and reasoning. some others with epithets, curse words and dislike. :) and that too appears ok from the moderator pov. :)

we have a common pillayar temple in toronto, where we have one side for perumal, and the front for ganapathy, the centre for murugan and the other side for siva/parvathi. the vaishnavas troop only to the extreme right to the perumal, do their sevikkal and troop out without even glancing the other deities. some others who are not familiar with the vaishnavite rules are surprised. and some like me, am not and take it in my stride. such is life. and it is never good to comment on someone's religious practice.

You have left out how Dalits view us. Somehow your post is incomplete without it. Even if TBs make a mullangi sambhar, we have to take into account the views and opinions of NBs and Dalits on mullangi sambhar and adjust accordingly.

Last edited:
Really? Do I really need to ask a Non Hindu to be a judge for Hindu faith systems?

I technically do not adhere to any one school of thought...I have an open system that is everything and anything is God.

So I would still prefer to call myself unbiased and neutral.

Imagine asking a Non Hindu to endorse a Hindu faith systems.

What do you expect them to say?

renus,

you are knocking your head against the essence of manu based hinduism - the gut of the caste system. and within it the sub castes and sub sub castes. tribal loyalty at its basests. read between the lines, 'the views of a xtian or muslim is worth than that of yours, because you are a NB'. that is the bottom line, i am so sad to say this.

it takes someone out of india or a very enlightened indian to understand how they are literally, thanks to the worldly global values of absolute dignity and equality, how cruel the caste system with its hierarchical structure is. add to it, the disenfranchisement of the dalits, which i see no sympathy here in this forum. at all.

everyone is harping only on the supposed 'unfairness' of quotas and chose pleasantly to ignore the milleniums of dungs heaped on the panchamars by everyone above them.

now that thanks to the voting block system, the dominant castes are ruling, and these have no regard for hinduism. just their tribal loyalty. is it not surprising that tamilnadu today has the highest level of conversions away from hindus. the christians and muslims are playing havoc on our weakness, and all the response i will get from here is another set of epithets or denial or 'we have survived so long and so will ever after'

thanks renus for bringing something of myself out tonight here.

Last edited:
Dear Kunjs,

I must share this funny episode that happened back in 1991.

2 little girls aged 6 were well known to my family and at times they used to hang out in my parents house waiting for their parents to pick them up.

One girl was Hindu and the other was a Christian.

One day they had a religious fight!LOL

The Christian girl was telling the Hindu girl that Jesus is God.

The Hindu girl said "No..my Saamy is God"

Then they both started fighting..one was yelling Jesus is God..the other was yelling Saamy is God..and they started hitting each other.

My brother who was there stopped the fight and they asked him "tell us who is right?"

Then my bro said "Both of you now hug each other and do Namaz..say Allah Hu Akbar"

Then both of them hugged each other and did a Namaz!

My brother said he asked them to say Allah Hu Akbar to solve the problem..after that they girls never brought up the topic of religion..They got scared they will be forced to do Namaz again.

I never knew flowery language is used to amuse oneself. Thanks for the info. LOL.
You should have known, Vaagmi Sir! Shall give you two statements:

1. The successful carnatic singers are the ones who enjoy and amuse themselves while singing.

2. You enjoy good carnatic music! :)

There is an attempt here to turn things upside down.

I think it is the person who claims being neutral and fair because of her caste background is the one who displays a casteist mindset and not the other way around.

கால பைரவன்;291287 said:
It is not fair to give such one sided advice Raji Mam. ..........
You are correct, Sir.

Let us not generalize any sect of people and pass comments. :nono:

There are words like 'most of the' / 'some of the'!! :)

P.S: We are never tired of arguing even over the 'arachcha mAvu' topics! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back