• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tambrahms

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ref;Post#143

3. Srirangam and Tirupati temples existed even before Ramanuja and they were built to the specifications of one of the two vaishnavite Agamas --Pancharatram and Vaikanasam. Ramanuja did not prescribe any agama. He set up processes and systems to be followed in the temple administration

I believe elders have a major responsibility. They have to ensure that knowledge and information about our culture and values reach youngsters and they also have to be vigilant not to allow them to be corrupted in the process.
Hope you agree with me. Thanks.

Do our cultural & value allow this preservation of Bodies?

Do these Agama Permit Preserved Body be Kept with in the wall of Temple? I had a different experiance once in Srivilliputtur . The temle was closed as a dead body was lying in house outside the temple wall and was informed it will be opened only after the body is taken out and cremated!
Sri Ramanuja Acharya body is still preserved

59b514174bffe4ae402b3d63aad79fe0_1392476393.jpg

The idol is the body of Sri Ramanuja at Udayavar/Yadhirajar/Ramanujar shrine inside Sri Ranganathaswamy Temple, Srirangam, Trichirapalli. Ramanuja's thiruvarasu (sacred burial shrine) is the Ramanuja shrine (sannidhi) located inside the Sri Ranganathaswamy temple (periyakoyil or simply koyil) Srirangam, Tamil Nadu within the temple complex, where he attained his Acharyan Thiruvadi (the lotus foot of his Acharya). His mortal remains (thirumeni) have been interred inside the Sri Ramanuja shrine and on top of it his wax look-alike deity (the wax image has been covered with the saffron robes he had used when he was alive) has been consecrated and it is anointed with chandan (sandalwood paste) and saffron (kungumappoo).

Ref;Post#143

3. Srirangam and Tirupati temples existed even before Ramanuja and they were built to the specifications of one of the two vaishnavite Agamas --Pancharatram and Vaikanasam. Ramanuja did not prescribe any agama. .

True...in fact in Dashashloki of Adi Shankara there is a line that goes:

na sankhyam, na shaivam,na tat pancharatram

Dashashloki was composed much before Ramanuja..and there was already the mention of Pancharatram.

Sri Ramanuja Acharya body is still preserved

Is there any proof that the body of Ramanuja still preserved in Tamil Nadu? Was there any official announcement on this from Hindu Religious Dept of Tamil Nadu, which has a separate Minister, since most of the Hindu Temples are being controlled by this Dept?

It is one more myth of so many myths.

Sri Ramanuja is the only personage whose remains were interred inside the Great Temple precincts, in the manner of Svami Nammalvar’s interment within the âvaraṇam of Sri Adi Piran’s temple in Alvar Tirunagari. The mūla image of the acharya was raised over the site of his interment and hence it is known as the Image per se, tân âna tirumēni (தானான திருமேனி). It is fashioned of plaster and receives, twice a year, a coat of camphor mixed with saffron, which accounts for its ochre/orange tint. This special observance has continued for the last eight centuries and a half.

Srirangam: Sri Ramanuja's Image at Srirangam

His physical body is preserved even today in a sitting posture in the Sannidhi (Sanctum Sanctorum) dedicated to him on the southwest corner on the fifth round opposite to Sudharshana Alwar Sannidhi, within the Srirangam temple Complex as ordered by Lord Ranganatha himself. The whole world is wonder struck at the feat of preservation of the mummies of Egypt and the body of St. .Xavier in GAO in India and make so much fuss about them. Many SrIvaishNavaas are not aware that here in Srirangam. their holiest place hailed as ' Bhooloka Vaikuntam' ( Heaven on Earth) lies preserved body of Sri Ramanuja .There is no Thirumanjanam for this Idol. Yearly twice it is Thirumanjanam of Pachai Kalpuram and Kumkuma Poo (Saffron),

Udayavar

I do not have any personal knowledge of it. I believed it when I went to the temple, I have no reason not to believe it.

Is there any proof that the body of Ramanuja still preserved in Tamil Nadu? Was there any official announcement on this from Hindu Religious Dept of Tamil Nadu, which has a separate Minister, since most of the Hindu Temples are being controlled by this Dept?

It is one more myth of so many myths.

You mean they should come out clean with no speculation Like the Makara Jothi Story of Sabarimala! Faith and Belief are not questioned. You have to fight a liar and not light a fire or the Makara Jothi!

You mean they should come out clean with no speculation Like the Makara Jothi Story of Sabarimala! Faith and Belief are not questioned. You have to fight a liar and not light a fire or the Makara Jothi!

During the early 1990s, one of my colleagues, who is from Nair community and a leftist, said that Makara Jothi is a man made phenomenon. After the announcement by none other than the Iyyappa Devasthanam Board accepting the above story, there is no serious talk about Makara Jothi these days.

Once you have utmost faith in a myth, it is impossible to make you disbelief about that myth.

It is true in the above case.

According to the Valmiki's Ramayana, when Ram accompanied by Hanuman, met the dying Jatayu, they helped him attain moksha by uttering the words "Le Pakshi," which is Telugu for "Rise, bird". Hence the name, Lepakshi.

Ref: Post#127 Originally Posted by Vaagmi I am already rid of a pest but it appears it is again and again replying to me. But I am not able to read it's messages because it is in the ignored list. Now on I will ignore its messages even if reported by another member. Good riddance. LOL.

Here I can see a connection with Vyasa's Mahabharath & Krishna and the Yadhavas! It was Le Pakshi in Ramayana ! Here it is Le pest - rearrange - Pestle! - See the connection? Krishnas son Samba disguised as pregnant woman wanted the Rishs to predict the sex of the child and was cursed to deliver iron pestles ! and that was the start of the downfall of Krishna and his race!!

Last edited:
tbs said:
probably right. it takes a certain amount of freedom from you, and you feel besieged. for those who dont feel this, they are fortunate. for those who feel this discrimination, it is very difficult to have a conversation with anyone other than a tambram. and it is only an exchange of misfortunes due to victimization. better to emigrate. that's what i feel.
I remember an innocent villager in a small district of Gujarat once asking me why I don't openly state that I am a Brahmin. I only wondered to myself about the past of caste politics in TN, and my grandfather's migration to Maharashtra. But then, those times are gone forever. There is hardly anything in TN for my family anymore. I might as well call it a day and make myself fully Marathi (I am the 3rd generation born outside TN now). With that context, I did go to Chennai recently after a gap of 10 (!) years. I didn't really face a lot of discrimination, but people took me to be a North Indian. What I did hear from some locals was about the "quirky" and "discriminative" nature of the Brahmins, including things described that I had never even heard of. But what was I then, just an alien from another state, coming to the homeland of his grandfather and being an observer to a past long gone. At the end of the day, seeing the situation there, I did consider myself fortunate to have been born in "North" India. Is it better to emigrate? It's a very personal choice. To me, I'd now rather learn the language and culture of the place I end up in than drag through another generation the legacy and history of Tamil Nadu.
Vaagmi said:
As if the girls of other communities are all just third rate and the boys of other communities just dump them including their sisters. Go and tell this to a pillai, mudaliyar or naidu girl and see the result. LOL.
The most respect I have had for any community in India is the Jains from MP and Gujarat. They are ALL financially stable and usually with their own businesses, or well-entrenched in service sector, and STILL I saw that most of their girls are well-educated with at least a bachelor's degree (more common: Master's degree). I have seen TB girls and even Kerala Nair girls, and very few continue to impress me, seeing as such they seem to put a premium on money, very rarely do anything beyond a MSc/BE/MA and expect a lot more education from the boy than the other way around (note: Gujarati girls, for example, will marry a LESS qualified guy if he is financially stable). TB girls also seem to have some complexes regarding gender roles and age, probably a spillover from their parents. If I had a free pick over what kind of girl I'd like to marry I'd select those Jains. But then, easier said than done. :) Point is: one shouldn't generalise, no doubt there are good, hardworking TB girls as there are in any other communities.

I lived in Thiruvanaikoil (famous for a Shiva ancient Temple)and studied in Srirangam High School(famous for ancient Vaishnava Shrine).I have lot of friends from Vaishnava Community.
I was earlier under the impression that all vaishnavites belong to either "Vadakalai' or 'Thenkalai" sect.
Recently I met some old friends and found that they belong to "Smartha Sect' but follow all traditions of a Vaishnavite,but select girls only from 'Smatha' sect.
I would like to know from knowledgeable persons as to when and how this tradition initially started.
There is another sect of Vaishnavites who call themselves 'Vaikasanas' who are traditionally temple priests.They have their own Panchang.and a religious leader.
I am from Smartha community but hold Vaishnavas in high esteem.
If you visit temples in Tamilnadu,You can observe that Vaishnava Temples are better managed than 'Saiva' temples.
In villages,Vaishnava Temples are kept open and a priest stays with his family where his remuneration may not be sufficient to run his family.
.Most of the 'Saiva'Temples in Villages are kept closed and are not opened regularly.
B.Krishnamurthy

I lived in Thiruvanaikoil (famous for a Shiva ancient Temple)and studied in Srirangam High School(famous for ancient Vaishnava Shrine).I have lot of friends from Vaishnava Community.
I was earlier under the impression that all vaishnavites belong to either "Vadakalai' or 'Thenkalai" sect.
Recently I met some old friends and found that they belong to "Smartha Sect' but follow all traditions of a Vaishnavite,but select girls only from 'Smatha' sect.
I would like to know from knowledgeable persons as to when and how this tradition initially started.
There is another sect of Vaishnavites who call themselves 'Vaikasanas' who are traditionally temple priests.They have their own Panchang.and a religious leader.
If you visit temples in Tamilnadu,You can observe that Vaishnava Temples are better managed than 'Saiva' temples.
In villages,Vaishnava Temples are kept open and a priest stays with his family where his remuneration may not be sufficient to run his family.
.Most of the 'Saiva'Temples in Villages are kept closed and are not opened regularly.
B.Krishnamurthy
hi

i belong to this sect....we are smarthas...we follow vaishnava system...means NAAMAM WITH SMARTHA.....i heard some

three villages of these called KEETHU NAAMAKARA SMARTHAS....we follow even srirangam panchangam and aandavan

swamigal....but we go to shiva temples and other smartha activities....we marry from smartha families..SO THERE IS WORD CALLED " VADAMAN

MUTHHI VAISHNAVAN".... this applicable to us....generally these smarthas belong to VADAMA SMARTHA SECT....

Last edited:
hi

i belong to this sect....we are smarthas...we follow vaishnava system...means NAAMAM WITH SMARTHA.....i heard some

three villages of these called KEETHU NAAMAKARA SMARTHAS....we follow even srirangam panchangam and aandavan

swamigal....but we go to shiva temples and other smartha activities....we marry from smartha families..SO THERE IS WORD CALLED " VADAMAN

MUTHHI VAISHNAVAN".... this applicable to us....generally these smarthas belong to VADAMA SMARTHA SECT....

Vadman Muthhi Vaishnavan is a stupid statement without any real meaning. The reasons is since Ramanuja, who was a born Vadama, started his own sect, some Vadama Iyers joined the bandwagon of Ramanuja. Hence, the above slogan came into existence.

Not only Vadama, even Brahacharanam iyers also belong to this category. The name of one of my room mates in the early 1980s, who belonged to Mazhanadu Brahacharanam sect, was Ganesan. But his father's name was Rangachari. He hailed from Srirangam.

B.Krishnamurthy

Having high esteem about other religion and sect is not new.

Actor Kamal Hassan's father's jail mate was a Muslim. Due to his affection. he named his sons with his name.

Instead of criticising the condition of Shiva temples, being a Smartha, why don't you do constructively, instead of having high esteem to something, which is alien to Smarthas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back