• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Logical Understanding and Applications of Spirituality

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is necessary to have non contradictory belief system. Science is also fundamentally a belief system because it is based on some fundamental assumptions. Actually scientific proofs are also beliefs that they represent reality. Science avoids the trap of contradictions by constantly modifying its theories and tries to maintain consistency. Science is a valid belief system because its premises and the conclusions are consistent but it may not be a sound belief system because its premises may not be true. For example it precludes the existence of a mind or a soul which may not be the truth.

If a belief system turns out to be not valid it will also be not sound. I believe Science cannot keep maintaining consistency unless it changes its fundamental premises. But back to the issue at hand, I think maintaining consistency in belief system is not easy unless we start with solid fundamental premises. Once we have that in place we can reconcile seeming conflicts without a lot of effort. Internalizing such a belief system is also the secret to conquer emotions.

The surest and I believe the only way to maintain a consistent set of beliefs is to have timeless and universal fundamental beliefs. What are timeless and fundamental beliefs?

Beliefs can pertain to physical reality or to our thinking. There is the mental belief system and this determines the way we think and act or react. Mental belief system does not function in isolation but interacts with our beliefs about physical reality say, such as scientific understanding of the world. If there are contradictions between belief systems whichever is stronger will prevail .For the time being I will leave aside the physical reality and focus on thinking.

For beliefs to be contradictions free , the fundamental beliefs should be universally applicable and should be unconditional. What form the content of fundamental beliefs, do not pertain to physical entities but are purely conceptual.

The most fundamental belief one should have is in believing the promotion of universal and enduring good. "Good" is what makes one happy. Universal and enduring good would be something which creates happiness in a collective way.

It is necessary to have this root belief firmly and consciously in place and try to work on practical techniques so that beliefs that are consistent with the root belief get themselves entrenched.

Let us now focus on the practical techniques.

The first problem one faces is when there is a conflict between the root belief and the reality. Whenever there is a conflict between the root belief and reality, one has to be practical and act in accordance with one's nature and situation. It takes time for the thinking to evolve and when it does we will handle the situation with confidence and in the right way.

Dear Renuka,

Yes pain and sadness are parts of life but the question is if given a choice would you want to experience them? So we try to avert them whenever possible. that is the very purpose of such experiences. They exist to be overcome eventually.

Dear Sravna,

Why not?

Experiences of pain and sadness build character ..it helps shape some amount of understanding...it could also be part of our Karma.

In fact I feel polar opposites are essential to experience any emotion in this world.

Have you realized Sravna...that even Lord Krishna did not say anywhere in Geeta that sadness,pain etc are negative emotions...in fact Lord Krishna preached to handle every situation alike.

Sukha Dukhe Same Krtva...Labhaalabhau Jayaajayau

Spirituality is not about denying human emotions...its all about to experience even sadness..pain...loss..sorrow..happiness,gain..without getting affected by anything.

Last edited:
The negative experiences I was talking about are caused by inability to handle physical force, mental force and our gullibility. There is not a lot we can do counter the effect of physical force until our mind evolves and is able to handle mental force after which it automatically gives the body the ability to handle physical force. Evolution of mind also takes care of gullibility.

So my focus will be on how to make the mind finer and finer and simultaneously to practically handle forces and deception.

We will see how to handle the physical and mental forces. First, mental forces because that is more important

Mental force is something that provokes negative feelings such as anger, lust, fear, hatred, jealousy etc. If any of these is incited you lose clear thinking. Or more accurately, your mind needs correction.

How can the mind be not or not much affected by mental force?

The way to being not much affected by mental force is to understand reality in the right way and then use some practical techniques to act in accordance with our understanding of reality.

Spiritual energy too is a mental force..therefore going by your logic that Mental force is something that provokes negative feelings such as anger, lust, fear, hatred, jealousy etc...that means Spirituality too is negative!LOL

Spiritual energy too is a mental force..therefore going by your logic that Mental force is something that provokes negative feelings such as anger, lust, fear, hatred, jealousy etc...that means Spirituality too is negative!LOL

Dear Renuka,

By force I mean something that makes a negative impact. Spiritual energy removes the impact of force.

If we want to control our emotions we need to understand how our mind works. I am making the assumption that mind is real and the proof for this will be discussed separately.

Physical world is nothing but the low energy surrogate of the spiritual world.In the physical world we enact a solution to a problem by taking actions. But the reality is actually is being played out in the mental or spiritual world through thoughts. That gets automatically reflected in the physical world as actions.

The fact that an action or a thought happens implies that something is in excess and something else is in deficiency. When everything is perfectly balanced only experience remains and that is the state of ultimate spiritual reality - a state of blissful experience.

Among thoughts and actions those that carry more and more force are further and further away from ultimate reality because force disturbs balance. We need to realize this.

Dear Renuka,

By force I mean something that makes a negative impact. Spiritual energy removes the impact of force.

That means Spiritual Energy is the Anti-Force! OMG that's like a Devil concept...the Anti Christ!666

Spiritual reality is an interconnected reality. The connections are veiled in the physical reality and we see things in isolation. That is the reason I believe science and technology would eventually fail if they are not able to understand the interconnections. The fond hope of a scientist to master human body by fully understanding the genetics and hoping to have total control over it is a chimera because there is a layer of interconnection beneath the seemingly isolated entities such as the human bodies. Adverse effects are bound to happen sooner or later if control is sought to be exercised at physical level.

Mind is inherently a spiritual entity just like everything is but till a particular stage of evolution, it is largely subject to the effects of force. It can go out of balance when something forceful hits it like unpleasant words or actions.

Dear Sravna,

sorry for the intervention, I have some questions.

What are those actions you consider as Spiritual?

What according to you is Spiritual Energy? and how do you think it is produced?

Is spiritual energy relates to human beings only or you think is available/present in all other forms of life including animals and plants?

How do you differentiate Spiritual energy with Spiritual Energy.?

Before proceeding further the following broad categorization of people would be helpful:

Type 1: Analytical, Selfish, Wants physical comforts, atheistic or agnostic, does not believe in inner reality and so on
Type 2: Holistic, empathetic, wants peace and harmony, god believing, believes in inner reality and so on

The above two represent the two ends of a spectrum but the tenor of the type of person would be one of the two.

My efforts right now are more directed towards type 2 though anyone who thinks there is truth in what I say can benefit.

Dear Sravna,

sorry for the intervention, I have some questions.

What are those actions you consider as Spiritual?

What according to you is Spiritual Energy? and how do you think it is produced?

Is spiritual energy relates to human beings only or you think is available/present in all other forms of life including animals and plants?

How do you differentiate Spiritual energy with Spiritual Energy.?

Dear Shri Ganesh,

Your questions are most welcome.

When physical energies exist together in a harmonious way it is spiritual energy . In spiritual energy the whole energy is always greater than the sum of the energies because of harmony.

Everything is finally spiritual energy but barriers are placed in it which causes the physical energy. So we have to think the other way round. Spiritual energy always existed and it is physical energy that is transiently created out of it.

When the barriers are removed we get the spiritual energy. The barrier may actually be removed out of the reality as when the universe finally dissolves into the spiritual energy or we may see through the barrier or the veil before by the instrumentality of mind.
A spiritual action is something that weighs in the whole as there may be several factors or several entities that may be impacted by an action.

Last edited:
The mental force that can evoke adverse reactions from our mind comes in a number of ways. It comes as gestures, expressions, language etc. Basically it tries to bind the mind to what it wants to happen and prevents the mind from acting freely.

Last edited:
People react differently to mental force. One who is not spiritual and also with intellectual limitations reacts generally instantly and grossly to mental force. A person who is not spiritual but intelligent in an analytical way, can hold on his emotions much longer and reacts less grossly but the impact is still very real

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back