• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Interesting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very useful information.....

Camphor- The effective & healthy mosquito repellent. An Article

Malaria and Dengue are on a steep rise. We all must be using liquid or the old blue tablet type of mosquito repellents sold under various names. Despite their use, it is common to see mosquitoes hovering around with the best of repellents in action. Secondly, we cannot use these mosquito repellents whole day – are they being of any brand. Thirdly, many people land up with allergies due to them.

In the past, man would light diyas and burn camphor on a regular basis as a part of daily puja. These helped to purify the air and keep harmful bacteria, viruses, and mosquitoes away! We can definitely have a better and healthy environment with the use of camphor.

Camphor or Kapur is a waxy, white, or transparent substance extracted from the wood of the Camphor Laurel tree found in Asia. Camphor has many known medicinal uses-

It relieves nasal congestion and cough when rubbed on the chest as an oil. Camphor is used as an ingredient in throat lozenges and cough syrups and in Vicks. Camphor is also used in some anti-itch ointments, creams and cooling gels because it is can be absorbed through skin and is effective at treating pain locally. It has an analgesic effect which makes it a favorite oil to be used in pain relieving massage blends for sore muscles and arthritic pain. Camphor is known to improve the quality of air making it a better for our lungs and heart.

Many people are not aware of the Mosquito repellent power of Camphor - a simple solution without side effects and very cost effective. CAMPHOR IS A NATURAL MOSQUITO REPELLENT With effect round the clock! You do not need to burn it for that. There are three easier ways to do it -
http://groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/enjoythemasti

[h=1]‘Train surfing’: Extreme stunts on moving Mumbai train....
[/h]

Mumbai's suburban railways have become a deadly playground for teenagers performing near fatal stunts, officials have warned.

After a disturbing
YouTube video was posted last week, commuters have been urged to notify conductors immediately of dangerous behaviour, and even pull emergency cords if needed.

The video shows two young men skidding along a station platform while holding onto a moving train, then hanging off the side as it thunders through the suburbs. They leap up to slap each passing steel pylon, as well as attempting to jump onto the carriage's roof.

"It is a dangerous and an insane act of rashness, which nobody should replicate -- nobody should praise or sensationalize the clip," Sharat Chandrayan, chief public relations officer for India's Western Railways, told The Times of India.

India's rail officials are warning that this growing trend of deadly stunts on moving trains must be stopped.

A spokesman for Central Railway, VA Malegaonkar, claimed the boys were risking their lives for a few moments of fame.

"I appeal to people to not replicate this act, as it is extremely risky," he said.

Often young men show off their stunts to impress commuters in the "ladies-only" train compartments.

Although train-hopping to dodge fares is common in India, reckless passengers can be fined Rs 500 or sent to prison for up to three months.

Wait if any one is planning to change the car!

car-1.jpg

car-2.jpg

Tata Motors is ready to introduce Air Car - Will it be the next big thing?Tata Motors is taking giant strides and making history for itself. First the Land Rover/Jaguar deal, then the world's cheapest car, and now it is also set to introduce the car that runs on compressed air.

With spiralling fuel prices it is about time we heard some breakthrough!

India's largest automaker, Tata Motors, is set to start producing the world's first commercial air-powered vehicle.

The Air Car, developed by ex-Formula One engineer Guy NAgre for Luxembourg-based MDI, uses compressed air, as opposed to the gas-and-oxygen explosions of internal-combustion models, to push its engine's pistons. Some 6000 zero-emissions Air Cars are scheduled to hit Indian streets by August 2011.

The Air Car, called the "MiniCAT" could cost around Rs. 3,47,500/- ($8,177.00) in India and would have a range of around 300 km between refuels.

The cost of a refill would be about Rs. 85 ($2.00)

The MiniCAT which is a simple, light urban car, with a tubular chassis that is glued, not welded, and a body of fiberglass powered by compressed air. Microcontrollers are used in every device in the car, so one tiny radio transmitter sends instructions to the lights, indicators, etc.

There are no keys - just an access card which can be read by the car from your pocket. According to the designers, it costs less than 50 rupees per 100 Km (about a tenth that of a petrol car). Its mileage is about double that of the most advanced electric car (200 to 300 km or 10 hours of driving), a factor which makes a perfect choice in cities where 80% of motorists drive at less than 60 Km. The car has a top speed of 105 Kmph.

Refilling the car will, once the market develops, take place at adapted petrol stations to administer compressed air. In two or three minutes, and at a cost of approximately 100 rupees, the car will be ready to go another 200-300 kilometers.

As a viable alternative, the car carries a small compressor which can be connected to the mains (220V or 380V) and refill the tank in 3-4 hours. Due to the absence of combustion and, consequently, of residues, changing the oil (1 litre of vegetable oil) is necessary only every 50,000 Km).
The temperature of the clean air expelled by the exhaust pipe is between 0-15 degrees below zero, which makes it suitable for use by the internal air conditioning system with no need for gases or loss of power.

Hello Dr.Anandi,
Interesting Information on the compressed Air car.Really a breakthrough.
The necessacity is the Father of Invention.
Alwan

Hello Dr.Anandi,
Interesting Information on the compressed Air car.Really a breakthrough.
The necessacity is the Father of Invention.
Alwan
Yes Sir, you are absolutely right, that too from the great innovators; Tata Motors... First with Nano and now with Compressed Air Car.. Really necessity is pressurizing humans to make new inventions and market competitions compelling them to do constant research.. It this will help the normal civilians of India, it is good. one should invent a thing keeping the normal, middle class Indians in mind. Then it is really worth and will be a great invention of all time. Thank you so much dear Sir... With Respects Anandi

Dr. Anandi, lot of great info here.. thanks for all the posts.. :)
take care..
Bushu/subhalakshmi :)

Thank you so much Bushu ji... At your service.. Always there for my friends with small, simple yet informative articles... but posted with lots of affection from the bottom of my heart... with respects.. Anandi :yo:

Please no Bushuji, call me bushu, no problem.. so sweet that you all keep such interest and post such valuable information, for others to enjoy.. all the best.. god bless..
bushu :)

[h=1]From stars to Tihar, Amar Singh's fall from grace
[/h][h=2]Amar Singh, who stole the limelight as a political heavyweight and a friend of corporate honchos and Bollywood stars, fell a long way from grace when a court sent him to Tihar Jail on charges of corruption.[/h]

http://in.news.yahoo.com//photos/from-stars-to-tihar-amar-singh-s-fall-from-grace-1315319902-slideshow/

From stars to Tihar, Amar Singh's fall from grace

Amar Singh, who stole the limelight as a political heavyweight and a friend of corporate honchos and Bollywood stars, fell a long way from grace when a court sent him to Tihar Jail on charges of corruption.

http://in.news.yahoo.com//photos/from-stars-to-tihar-amar-singh-s-fall-from-grace-1315319902-slideshow/
Amarsingh is the A.Raja of UP.Reddy brother of UP,etc.They all end up where they are to go.
Alwan

Amarsingh is the A.Raja of UP.Reddy brother of UP,etc.They all end up where they are to go.
Alwan

Very true Sir, They will land up in their deserved place.... Omar Abdulla of Kashmir... had quoted in TIMES OF INDIA... which was funny yet a thoughtful quote... If the people in the Tihar Jail want to form a party.. what will be the name of the party.. And Sir, it can happen too.. In India everything is unpredictable.. they will show the guts to form a party and contest in the elections too. We; the people of India may give our votes to them again. God knows.. we will end up in repeating the blunder. Constitutional Law should be changed and all the suspects, heroes of the scams to be kept out of contesting the elections. Then there is a strong possibility that there won't be any leader left for any cabinet posts here.
Let us wait and watch...
With respects
Anandi

[h=1]The trendsetter[/h] Woodland has not just carved a niche for itself in the shoe and apparel sector. Know what this massive player does beyond foot wear and clothes? Read on.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
From India Today [FONT=&quot][/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

It's a successful shoe and apparel empire. Woodland is also helping 8000 families in Chandrapur, Maharashtra, get safe drinking water everyday.
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Treading North[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Since my childhood I have been a creative and adventure-loving person. Even as a child I believed in perfection and it helped me become what I am today. Academically, I was an average student but I had a flair for learning more. And because I have been involved with the family business since childhood, I knew what I wanted.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Furthermore, my passion for adventure sports reflects in the brand philosophy. We used to go for long treks where I developed a fascination for adventure sports. So in order to give students what we couldn't have, I am trying to inculcate the adventure lifestyle for school students. Our first initiative will be with Modern School, Delhi, where we are creating an adventure zone.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
How it began[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
The brand Woodland is owned by Aero Group, the flagship company which began its operations in 1960's and now has an asset base of over US$100 million. Woodland was started in Quebec, Canada, for making winter boots and entered India in 1992. It was one of the brands that we launched in India from the vast portfolio of Aero Group.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
When we entered India, the footwear market was largely unorganized. Woodland created a new category of specialized 'outdoor sports' shoes. Our product positioning was different and we were known as a rugged, outdoor leather shoe brand, the kind usually preferred by adventurists. Youngsters took a fancy to our shoes. That was in the beginning and we gradually developed a product line especially for India.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
On the job[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Being an outgoing person, I wanted to establish something related to the field of adventure. I faced a lot of difficulties in the initial years because of wrong adventure gear and it was a challenge to get the right gear in India. I used to pick up adventure sports apparel, footwear and accessories whenever I travelled abroad.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
After completing my education, I started working with my father and created the brand Woodland. Our logo is a tree which in itself speaks about our connect with nature. After it was established, we created Pro planent, our corporate social responsibility (CSR) wing and have been working closely with nature-friendly ideas since.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Eco-friendly My main focus has been to bring to everybody's doorstep; quality and eco friendly products. We use raw materials which are less harmful to the environment. Our main focus has been on materials like organic cotton, specialized fabrics for adventure sports.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Customer connect[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Commercial success is necessary but customer satisfaction matters more. Today, when I see a person wearing a Woodland product, I feel very proud. Woodlanders are known for their spirit and enthusiasm. Our products and processes speak for itself. Today we have one lakh plus fans on Facebook who constantly give us there feedback. A lot of them also upload their pictures sporting the brand and various adventure events.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
A social server[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Very recently, Woodland under its CSR wing Pro planet, tied up in a four month long association with the United Nations agency United Nations Children's Fund to promote their WASH campaign which aims to provide safe drinking water to 8000 families in the Chandrapur district of Maharashtra.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
We are reaching out to our wide customer base to contribute Rs 10 to the cause against every purchase they make. Besides this, we look to partner with entities that environmentally committed, eliminate toxic and hazardous substances from products, minimize resource wastage, disclose their environmental footprint, and take responsibility for proper waste management.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Tips for success[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Clarity: To know what you want personally and professionally, question your resolution and clarify.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Exploration: In order to learn, one must experiment. Try to learn from the experiences of life.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Patience: Instant gratification is not always possible. Gaining exposure in the early years is more important that a higher salary.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
Presentation: It helps communicate, which is essential today. A lot depends on how you present yourself.[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

It's been said that God first separated the salt water from the fresh, made dry land, planted a garden, made animals and fish... All before making a human. He made and provided what we'd need before we were born. These are best & more powerful when eaten raw. We're such slow learners...
God left us a great clue as to what foods help what part of our body!
God's Pharmacy! Amazing!
A sliced Carrot looks like the human eye. The pupil, iris and radiating lines look just like the human eye... And YES, science now shows carrots greatly enhance blood flow to and function of the eyes.
A Tomato has four chambers and is red. The heart has four chambers and is red. All of the research shows tomatoes are loaded with lycopine and are indeed pure heart and blood food.
Grapes hang in a cluster that has the shape of the heart. Each grape looks like a blood cell and all of the research today shows grapes are also profound heart and blood vitalizing food.
A Walnut looks like a little brain, a left and right hemisphere, upper cerebrums and lower cerebellums. Even the wrinkles or folds on the nut are just like the neo-cortex. We now know walnuts help develop more than three (3) dozen neuron-transmitters for brain function.
Kidney Beans actually heal and help maintain kidney function and yes, they look exactly like the human kidneys.
Celery, Bok Choy, Rhubarb and many more look just like bones. These foods specifically target bone strength. Bones are 23% sodium and these foods are 23% sodium. If you don't have enough sodium in your diet, the body pulls it from the bones, thus making them weak. These foods replenish the skeletal needs of the body.
Avocadoes, Eggplant and Pears target the health and function of the womb and cervix of the female - they look just like these organs. Today's research shows that when a woman eats one avocado a week, it balances hormones, sheds unwanted birth weight, and prevents cervical cancers. And how profound is this? It takes exactly nine (9) months to grow an avocado from blossom to ripened fruit. There are over 14,000 photolytic chemical constituents of nutrition in each one of these foods (modern science has only studied and named about 141 of them).
8.865274557@web161720.mail.bf1.yahoo.com
Figs are full of seeds and hang in twos when they grow. Figs increase the mobility of male sperm and increase the numbers of Sperm as well to overcome male sterility.
Sweet Potatoes look like the pancreas and actually balance the glycemic index of diabetics.
Olives assist the health and function of the ovaries
Oranges, Grapefruits, and other Citrus fruits look just like the mammary glands of the female and actually assist the health of the breasts and the movement of lymph in and out of the breasts.
Onions look like the body's cells. Today's research shows onions help clear waste materials from all of the body cells. They even produce tears which wash the epithelial layers of the eyes. A working companion, Garlic, also helps eliminate waste materials and dangerous free radicals from the body.

[h=1]10 surprising things that age you.........
[/h]http://us.lrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=AhuDGY...XP=1316863740/**http://www.realbuzz.com/home/

[h=3]While ageing is an inevitable part of life, how quickly or well you age depends on many different factors. Although there are some obvious causes of premature ageing, there are many seemingly harmless things that can also add on the years. Here are our top 10 surprising things that age you.
[/h] [h=3]
[/h] [h=3]Watching TV[/h] While we all know that spending hours in front of the television is bad for your waistline, you may not know that it can also shorten your lifespan. Researchers from the University of Queensland found that for every hour you watch TV you may shorten your life by as much 22 minutes. Furthermore, research has suggested that watching TV could increase your risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease.
[h=3]
[/h] [h=3]Drinking from bottles and through straws[/h] You probably know that what you drink can affect your looks, but you may be surprised to hear that how you drink can also influence how well you age. In fact, sucking on straws and drinking out of sports bottles causes the same pursing action – and therefore the same fine lines and wrinkles around the mouth – as smoking. Try drinking directly from the glass whenever you can to help keep the wrinkles at bay.
[h=3]
[/h] [h=3]Too little (or too much) exercise[/h] The benefits of exercise are immeasurable for keeping you looking and feeling young. Not only does a lack of exercise shorten your life and increase risk of obesity and heart disease, but exercise can also keep your brain young by protecting against Alzheimer’s, boosting your mood and leaving you feeling alert and energized. Furthermore, increased blood flow to your skin can help keep your complexion clear, bright and youthful-looking. On the flip side, while we should all make an effort to stay active, too much exercise can cause stiffness in joints and increase risk of arthritis.

The official Sanskrit name for India is Bharat.

INDIA has been called Bharat even in Satya yuga ( Golden Age )

More INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT India

The name `India’ is derived from the River Indus, the valleys around which were the home of the early settlers. The Aryan worshipers referred to the river Indus as the Sindhu.

The Persian invaders converted it into Hindu. The name `Hindustan’ combines Sindhu and Hindu and thus refers to the land of the Hindus.

The number system was invented by India. Aryabhatta was the scientist who invented the digit zero.
Sanskrit is considered as the mother of all higher languages. This is because it is the most precise, and therefore suitable language for computer software. ( a report in Forbes magazine, July 1987 ).

Chess was invented in India.

Algebra, Trigonometry and Calculus are studies which originated in India.
The' place value system' and the 'decimal system' were developed in 100 BC in India.
The first six Mogul Emperor's of India ruled in an unbroken succession from father to son for two hundred years, from 1526 to 1707.

The World's First Granite Temple is the Brihadeswara temple at Tanjavur in Tamil Nadu. The shikhara is made from a single ' 80-tonne ' piece of granite. Also, this magnificient temple was built in just five years, (between 1004 AD and 1009 AD) during the reign of Rajaraja Chola
India is.......the Largest democracy in the world, the 6th largest country in the world AND one of the most ancient and living civilizations (at least 10, 000 years old).

The game of snakes & ladders was created by the 13th century poet saint Gyandev. It was originally called 'Mokshapat.' The ladders in the game represented virtues and the snakes indicated vices. The game was played with cowrie shells and dices. Later through time, the game underwent several modifications but the meaning is the same i.e good deeds take us to heaven and evil to a cycle of re-births.

The world's highest cricket ground is in Chail, Himachal Pradesh.
Built in 1893 after levelling a hilltop, this cricket pitch is 2444 meters above sea level.

India has the most post offices in the world !
The largest employer in the world is the Indian railway system, employing over a million people !.
The World's first university was established in Takshila in 700 BC. More than 10,500 students from all over the world studied more than 60 subjects. The University of Nalanda built in the 4th century was one of the greatest achievements of ancient India in the field of education.

Ayurveda is the earliest school of medicine known to mankind. The father of medicine, Charaka, consolidated Ayurveda 2500 years ago.

Although modern images & descriptions of India often show poverty, India was one of the richest countries till the time of British in the early 17th Century. Christopher Columbus was attracted by India's wealth and was looking for route to India when he discovered America by mistake.

The art of Navigation & Navigating was born in the river Sindh 6000 over years ago. The very word 'Navigation' is derived from the Sanskrit word NAVGATIH. The word navy is also derived from the Sanskrit word 'Nou'.

Bhaskaracharya rightly calculated the time taken by the earth to orbit the sun hundreds of years before the astronomer Smart. His calculations was - Time taken by earth to orbit the sun: ( 5th century ) 365.258756484 days.

The value of "pi" was first calculated by the Indian Mathematician Budhayana, and he explained the concept of what is known as the Pythagorean Theorem. He discovered this in the 6th century, which was long before the European mathematicians.

Algebra, trigonometry and calculus also originated from India. Quadratic equations were used by Sridharacharya in the 11th century. The largest numbers the Greeks and the Romans used were 106 whereas Hindus used numbers as big as 10*53 ( i.e 10 to the power of 53 ) with specific names as early as 5000 B.C. during the Vedic period. Even today, the largest used number is Tera: 10*12( 10 to the power of 12 ).

Until 1896, India was the only source for diamonds to the world. ( Source . Gemological Institute of America )

The Baily Bridge is the highest bridge in the world. It is located in the Ladakh valley between the Dras and Suru rivers in the Himalayan mountains. It was built by the Indian Army in August 1982.

Sushruta is regarded as the father of surgery. Over 2600 years ago Sushrata & his team conducted complicated surgeries like cataract, artificial limbs, cesareans, fractures, urinary stones and also plastic surgery and brain surgeries.
Usage of anesthesia was well known in ancient India medicine. Detailed knowledge of anatomy, embryology, digestion, metabolism, physiology, etiology, genetics and immunity is also found in many ancient Indian texts.

What makes a nation, is the past, what justifies one nation against others is the past", says the noted historian Eric Hobsbawm.Hence, when talking of a nation, it becomes very imperative that the past should also be talked about. And the past of India is as fascinating and interesting as it is momentous.

Proud to be Indian !

Jai Hind !

Now, a futuristic fuel efficient lightweight car.

Indo Asian News Service,

London, Sep 13 (IANS) MUTE is here. It's an agile, sporty two-seater, eco-friendly electric vehicle capable of hitting a peak speed of 120 kmph.

Its lithium-ion battery is designed to guarantee a range of at least 100 km, which can be extended by a reserve zinc-air battery when required.
MUTE's stable frame, made of aluminum and carbon fibre reinforced plastic chasis, reduces the curb weight, including batteries, to a mere 500 kg.
'Low weight is essential for an electric vehicle,' says the Germany-based Technische Universitaet Muenchen (TUM) vehicle engineer Markus Lienkamp, according to a TUM statement.

'Greater weight requires more battery performance for the same range, which results in higher costs. Greater weight also results in reduced dynamics for a given power output. But we want a car that is affordable and fun to drive,' said Lienkamp.

TUM engineers have developed MUTE from scratch. Every part has been optimized for three main factors: efficiency, low overall cost and safety.
Preliminary studies were carried out to ascertain what mobility of the future will look like, what customer requirements will be and how these might be fulfilled in a cost-effective and weight-saving manner.
Over 200 staff members of 20 departments of Technische Universitaet Muenchen's Science Center for Electromobility joined forces to develop the MUTE concept.

TUM holds the intellectual property rights for overall concept. Over 30 partners from industry support the project as a whole.

MUTE will showcase the TUM's answer to future challenges in personal mobility at the International Motor Show (IAA) in Frankfurt, Germany.

Here again, I continue with reduction of belly fat.... (looks like I must have a separate thread for this purpose!)

Step 1: Proper hydration. Not only is proper hydration the foundation of health, if you drink enough water throughout the day you keep your stomach full and not be hungry. This comes into play in several ways…First, by drinking 16 ounces (about half a litre) of water right after waking up you ignite your metabolism and start yourself burning calories immediately. In addition, by drinking the same amount of water before a meal, you consume 15% fewer calories at that meal.And finally, if you were to quit drinking alcohol and sugary beverages for water, you could easily save 200-300 calories a day. This can translate into about 30 pounds (13-14 Kgs) of fat a year that you can lose.

Step 2: Strength training. By adding muscle, you actually turn your body into a more effective fat burning machine. You will burn more fat between your workouts, when you are sitting down, even when you are sleeping, by working out with weights or resistance bands. This is why strength training is an integral part of losing belly fat.

Step 3: Aerobic exercises. Now it is time for the cardio. And there are plenty of cardio exercises for you to choose from, whether it be walking, running, the stepper, elliptical, treadmill or rowing machine. But the key is how you use them.That is interval training. Intervals are short bursts where you go at maximum effort followed by longer periods where you work at lower levels of effort.For example, on the elliptical machine you may increase the resistance and work at maximum effort for 30 or 60 seconds and then work at about 50-60% effort for 60 seconds as a recovery period before you begin the next interval.Every study has shown that intervals burn more calories, and more importantly more calories from fat, than steady aerobics where you work at the same level of intensity through the length of time that you are on the cardio machine.

Step 4: Eat right. You need to start eating foods that are considered ‘negative calorie foods’. These are nutrient dense yet calorie poor foods that will fill your stomach but at the same time not add a large number of calories to your system. It doesn’t matter how much exercise you do if you insist on eating high calorie foods you will never lose belly fat.

And the final step to losing belly is to…Dump the scale. Here’s why.
Your scale measures your combination of muscle, fat, bone and water weight. And if you are following my recommendations to lose belly fat, like drink plenty of water and strength train, you will be adding muscle and water to your system. That means that your weight is going to go up. But it doesn’t necessarily mean that you are gaining fat.You will be losing fat if you follow these steps. But the scale will not agree. That is why it is much better for you to get a tape measure and measure your waistline which will show your progress in reducing your belly fat.

[h=1]8 important manners you should teach your little ones
[/h]http://www.gurgle.com/

4dc4cf8c64f5d0732ee3526fd48ed0bf

We all want to raise our little ones to be polite and well behaved, and learning those lessons starts at home. It's never too early to teach your little ones basic manners! Here are eight of the most important manners you should try to teach your little ones before they go to school. They won't remember them all, or get them right every time, but patience and perseverance should get you through:
1. Always say please and thank you.
Whether they're activities as small as giving your little one a snack, or them asking if they can play in the garden, always reinforce the importance of saying please and thank you. No matter how young your children are, you can't start enforcing this rule too early!
2. Table manners
When your tiny tots are just learning to eat at the table, start teaching them the manners you'd like them to have for the rest of their lives! Rules like not eating with their mouths open, or not putting their elbows on the table, are good life lessons for your children to learn as soon as possible.
3. Play dates
When you're little ones go on play dates, or to birthday parties, remind them to thank their friends parents for having them over. If you aren't going to be attending the play date or event with your little one, ensure your little ones know they should treat their friends parents (and all grown-ups) with the same respect they treat you.
4. Birthday party etiquette
It's often said that kids go wild at birthday parties - all the sweet snacks and fun can make little ones get excited, and sometimes forget their manners. But no matter how excited your little one is on their birthday, there are some manners they shouldn't forget: to open their presents thoughtfully (not ripping off the paper, or tossing the present to one side as soon as they've seen it) and to say thank you for every gift, and to every attendee.
5. Mind the language

There will come a moment every parent dreads: the moment your little one swears. And then finds it funny! The worst thing you can do in this scenario is laugh. Let them know that you already know that word, you think it's unpleasant, not funny, and ask your little one not to use it again!
6. Don't be mean
Kids tease each other, and they find it funny. But this can sometimes go a step too far and lead to bullying. Make sure your little ones don't call others mean names, and don't make fun of anyone for any reason. Ganging up on someone else is cruel, not clever.
7. Excuse me!
Once your little ones have mastered saying please and thank you, teach them to say excuse me. It's the polite thing to say when you have to interrupt someone, or bump into somebody.
8. TMI!
There are some things that are too much information, and that your little ones shouldn't talk about in public! These include genitals, poo, nose picking, and all the other gory things that amuse kids

World's oldest-living conjoined twins turn 50

London, Sept 14 (ANI): The world's oldest living conjoined twins have defied doctors' predictions and are set to celebrate their 50th birthday this Sunday.
George and Lori Schappell, who are joined at the head, are marking the landmark birthday with a trip to London.
Remarkably, the Siamese twins are able to live very different and separate lives, with Lori having had relationships and George - who was originally named Dori - deciding to live life as a man.
Lori is also a champion ten-pin bowler and George performs as a country and western singer.

"When we were born, the doctors didn't think we'd make 30, but we proved them wrong," the Daily Mail quoted Lori as saying.
"We have learned so much in the last 50 years and will continue living life to the full," she added. While Lori, who is 5ft 1in, was born able-bodied, 4ft 4in George suffers from spina bifida, which has caused severe mobility problems.
The twins, from Pennsylvania in America, were born sharing 30 per cent of their frontal lobe brain tissue and critical blood vessels, meaning they cannot be separated. (ANI)

[FONT=&quot]No one can break this record

The same Queen-Elizabeth of England, with 11 presidents of USA ..!!

Queen Elizabeth with Barack Obama
Queen Elizabeth with George W. Bush
Queen Elizabeth with Bill Clinton
Queen Elizabeth with George Bush
Queen Elizabeth with Ronald Reagan
Queen Elizabeth with Jimmy Carter
Queen Elizabeth with Gerald Ford
Queen Elizabeth with Richard Nixon
Queen Elizabeth with John F. Kennedy
Queen Elizabeth with Dwight D. Eisenhower
Queen Elizabeth with Harry S. Truman

[/FONT]

[h=1]10 must do walking tours in India
[/h]
iltl_065355.gif
By IndiaTodayTravelPlus | India Today Travel –

What's your passion: arts, crafts, history, nature, culture or cuisine? Customised walking tours are becoming a hit in India. They are a great way to discover a unique facet of any city. So put on those walking shoes and get going.

1. Rock Walk, Hyderabad

The Deccan Plateau is a natural wonder of stony ridges and hillocks. The rock formations in and around Hyderabad are granite monoliths that are older than the Himalayas. Geologists estimate them to be 2,500 million years old. Unfortunately most have made way for malls and skyrises today. Save the Rocks Foundation conducts regular treks to these rocky areas.

Learn about the unusual geological formations, legends and local history behind the stones. Discover hidden lakes among the rocks, teeming with birdlife. With names like Obelisk, Hamburger and Mushroom, let your imagination run wild deciphering the shapes that the stones suggest. The walk is conducted free of charge and takes place on the third Sunday of every month. Save Rocks | Welcome to the spectacular rockscapes of the Deccan Plateau in India

durgapuka_152143.jpg
Durga Puja

2. Bringing the Goddess to Earth, Kolkata
Get behind the scenes of preparations for the Durga Puja with a walk down the bylanes of old Kumartuli, the potter's town. Known for its internationally renowned artisans who craft beautiful and life-sized idols from straw and clay, this little quarter by the river gives you a glimpse into how the idols are made and the conditions in which the potters live and work.

Begin at 6.30 in the morning from Armenian Ghat and catch some early morning wrestling, which you're welcome to join in! Move to the flower market, Howrah Bridge, Old Mint and the Nimtala burning ghat. Explore the Bengali concept of beauty and understand why the idols of Goddess Durga are voluptuous. Size zero doesn't work here. Calcutta Walks: Walking Tours of Kolkata for all! Heritage, History, Exploration, Fun!

AP02021206667_152403.jpg
Old Delhi

3. Old Delhi Food Trail
What's the first thought that comes to your mind when you think of food in Delhi? Mughlai? Perish the thought. For a change, focus on the unique 'Baniya' vegetarian streetfood of Sitaram Bazaar. The Old Delhi Food Trail walks you through the bazaar to learn about the ingredients and essentials of Indian cooking. The colourful and interesting streetfood in this market caters to the Baniya community.

Crisp Gol Gappas, Kulcha Chole, Bedmi Puri (stuffed with a spicy mixture of lentils), Nagori Halwa (small puris served with halwa)--the list of enticing streetfood is endless. After this, visit Masterji Kee Haveli, one of the last-standing havelis in Delhi. Here, you can choose to participate in the cooking of a vegetarian meal or just watch. This is not a cooking lesson though; it is a chance to get up close and personal with four generations of a family that continues to live under one roof. Delhi Magic: Personalised tours of Delhi and Agra

5. Maximum City Walk, Mumbai
If you've read Suketu Mehta's acclaimed book, Maximum City, you might want to retrace his footsteps in this hard-hitting tour. The characters and places in the novel come alive in this tour. Go past Dariya Mahal, Radhabai Chawl in Jogeshwari and the Brabourne restaurant. Engage with the fast-vanishing breed of letter writers at the General Post Office and try out Vada Pao at Borkar's ("the best Vada-Paos in Bombay") followed by sherbets at Sikkanagar.

Add to this the 'Babbanji Bihari's Bombay tour' and you might discover the life of a typical Bihari migrant to the city of dreams. Babbanji is a character in the book, a modern-day Dick Whittington. Does he make it big? You never know--anything is possible in Maximum City. www.beyondbombay.com

4. Mylapore Walk, Chennai
This walk makes you go through Chennai's cultural hub and one of its oldest areas--Mylapore. The Portuguese arrived on Mylapore's shores in 1523 and left only in 1749, when the British took over. Despite this, the area has retained its incredible temples and the traditions that revolve around them. The walk takes you to the 300-year-old Kapaleeswarar Temple, the epicentre around which Mylapore is built.

Peek into the temple's daily routine, its own schedule--one that is not usually visible to the outside world. Later, walk through the surrounding areas. Learn about life around the temple tank with its myriad chaos of small shops dedicated to everything from jewellery, brassware, silk, puja items, to fruit and vegetable shops. The walk ends with snacks and coffee at the popular Saravana Bhavan. Chennai Magic: Personalised tours of Chennai and South India

6. Cholta Cholta, Goa
'Cholta Cholta' is a Konkani term that means 'While Walking'. This innovative guided walk for children (and accompanying adults) is organised by Bookworm, a library and educational resource for children in Goa. These heritage walks are interspersed with maps, stories, historical anecdotes and activities like colouring, treasure hunts and retracing the route (on paper) that make learning about history fun for children.

A dry run in advance of the walk ensures that the route is safe for children. Each time a different route is chosen. Recent walks have included the Governor's Palace, the Museum of Christian Art, a natural heritage trail, Casa da Moeda and the Azad Maidan. Bookworm, Goa | The place where children learn to love books (at Sant Ines, Panjim).

7. Matunga Market food walk, Mumbai
Matunga, in central Mumbai, has a vibrant cultural scene, an indication of the various communities living here. The Food Walk takes you through the markets of this area, and gives a peek into the food of the three communities--Tamil Brahmins, Gujaratis and Jains. All the three are vegetarian, but have different customs and rules, which are very much visible in their food.

The tour begins at the Kannika Parameshwari temple where you learn about the history of Hinduism and Buddhism. From there, head to the market area where you'll be introduced to local fruits, vegetables and spices, with an explanation of how they fit into the daily meal.

Discover inventive foods like Khakra Dosa (a plain dosa made very crisp and then dried liked a khakra), Jain Mousse (mousse prepared without egg) and Chocolate Barfi. The combinations are tantalising and designed to please every palate. Do leave some space for authentic aromatic South Indian coffee at the end. Mumbai Magic - Personalised Mumbai tours from people who know the city well, and love taking visitors around!

8. The Madras Reporter's Beat, Chennai
Fancy being a journalist for a day? Then sign up for this new walk around Chennai where the participants see the city from a writer's point of view. Bring along tools that a writer may need--pen, paper, or a camera. At various points along the walk, the group stops to chat with people. Participants keep an eye out for the mundane, the exotic, the offbeat.

At the end of the walk, participants go back and work on a piece of writing that has its genesis in the walk. This could be an essay, a report, an investigative piece. It could be funny or serious--there are no strict guidelines for content or length. The organisers plan to collate these stories into an online newspaper that reflects the true Madras. www.selectiveamnesia.org
AP09021106340_152745.jpg
Shimla

9. Cemetery Lanes Walk, Shimla
Whether you like ghost stories or are just curious about local history, the Cemetery Lanes Walk will take you off Shimla's busy tourist trails. Instead you'll visit three of its five cemeteries. The Kanlog cemetery is the largest one and is surrounded by a dense forest of cedar trees. Pass by old houses, the last reminders of a bygone era and see the Combermere Bridge rise from the mist.

This is the first British landmark bridge in Shimla and was built in 1828. The walk is popular among people who have a past association with Shimla and with British families trying to locate their ancestors buried here. The walk begins in the morning and takes almost the full day. Shimla Walks

10. Victorian Bangalore Walk
Did you know that the heart of Tipu Sultan's home has a distinct Victorian flavour? If modern day Bengaluru seems far removed from Victorian charms of Kolkata or Mumbai, this walk might be an eye-opener for you. Bangalore Walks organises these tours and claim that their appeal is in showcasing the history that is not obvious.

Bangalore was not designed for sightseeing in the way other cities are, and many tourists head for Mysore as soon as they can. Yet, around every corner is a slice of history waiting to be unpeeled layer by layer.

The walks tell the story of Bangalore from its past and how it influences present, chaotic Bengaluru. The USP of these walks is in their mystery. In over six years of packed, weekly walks, very few participants have revealed the contents of their tour. You have to find out for yourself. :: BangaloreWALKS ::

Polar Regions

Because the Arctic and Antarctic are cold, dark, and remote, we often think these two places are nearly the same. However, they are quite different. One notable difference is that polar bears live only in the Arctic, and penguins live only in the Antarctic.

An emperor penguin chick is captured in perfect clarity as it jumps off an ice block... or perhaps it was pushed by its cheeky little friends.

This is just one of a set of stunning images from the life's work of award-winning wildlife photographer Sue Flood.
She has spent more than 20 year pursuing of the best wildlife shots - but says the polar regions of the Arctic and Antarctic remain her most special places.
And perhaps the fact that her husband, fellow freelance wildlife photographer Doug Allan, proposed while they were adrift on an Arctic ice floe has also added to the memories.

Taking the plunge: An emperor penguin chicks jump off an ice block in Cape Washington, Ross Sea, Antarctica
Inspirational: Sue Flood says she is drawn to the polar regions by the isolation and the toughness of the people and animals. Adelie penguins at Cape Adare, Antarctica

Life in a cold climate: A hunter from Greenland in traditional animal skin clothing, including polar bear trousers; right, an emperor penguin viewed through a hole in an iceberg at Snow Hill Island rookery, Antarctic

The pair travel the world for their wildlife work and Flood has worked on top BBC Nature programmes including Planet Earth and Blue Planet.
She has now put together some of her favourite images in a book.
Miss Flood said 'There are times when I question why I'm so drawn to the Poles - for instance, when camping in -40 degree temperatures, enduring the hardships of macho ice-breaker life or when my eyes won't open because my eyelashes have frozen together.
'But there is something magical about the light, the isolation and the stillness, and something inspirational about how resolute animals and people have to be to survive there.
'Yes, the Poles are cold places but they also warm the heart, as I hope my book and images show.'

Top of the world: The North Pole sign sits in melting ice and meltwater
Good things come to those who wait: A polar bear waits near a seal hole at the foot of a glacier in Franz Josef Land, the Russian Arctic
Miss Flood said the book, Cold Places, was 'a record of some of the most spectacular places and memorable animals of the polar regions'.
'I fell in love with the Canadian Arctic on my first BBC filming trip there in 1998 and have since enjoyed more than 30 trips to the polar regions – working on documentaries and feature films, guiding private individuals and on expedition ships voyaging to the North Pole and south to the Antarctic Peninsula, Ross and Weddell Seas and sub-Antarctic islands.' I’ve had some great adventures in the polar regions, including camping on the floe edge with Inuit hunters in the Canadian high-Arctic, watching polar bears hunting, diving with leopard seals in the Antarctic, working on Russian icebreakers and sailing across the Drake Passage on a very small yacht.
'I’m passionate about what I do, and I hope that this comes across in my images so that people will be inspired to want to protect the wildlife and ecosystems I’ve been fortunate enough to photograph.'
Sight seeing: A tourist watches Crabeater seals, Weddell Sea, Antarctica

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back