• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

I C and I R weddings!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sri auh, Veteran, who is most welcome to join in this thread, says:-

We have to talk about comparables here. A person born with a disability cannot be equated to a person who has commited a heinous act (of his volition). They are two different yardsticks.

He seems to have touched on a basic point. The point is that only "comparables" are equal creatures of God. This leads to the "1984" situation that all humans are equal, but some are more equal than others.

He talks about "yardsticks", i.e. units created by humans for measurement. Does God have such yardsticks? And does he use them for rewards and punishnments in this world, in the earlier world, and in the next world?

Sinners who have atoned adequately for their sins (like unwed single mothers), adults, adolescents and children who have paid the price for their misdemeanours and their crimes (as classified by fellow-humans) and seek re-integration into society, into OUR society, should be measured by a different yardstick and adjudged as unfift? God has given us the authority to do that? Or only to some of us selecgted by themselves?

When? Where? How?

Compassion, simple charity, fraternal feeling for needy fellow-humans should be discarded in favour of judgmental classification into comparables and incomparables?

Did not Adolf Hitler say that peripatetic Gypsies, the mentally challenged, the impoverished in the ghettoes, the learning-challenged, the physically challenged, the colour-skinned, the Jews, are all incomparables and should be eliminated? Are moving in that direction?

Would what one contributor in these TB columns blithely labels as the ultra orthodox kind of TB (his own dismissive term for simply for one who follows TB religious customs and is not ashamed of it) be an execrable incomparable?

Would one contributor in these TB columns who asserts that at any time he prefers a glass of shandy or a cocktail to a flute of champagne from a top vineyard, count among the enviable "comparables"?

Would it make any difference to Sri auh and those who agree with him, if the posited "person who has commited a heinous act (of his volition)" was later found insane and not in possession of his faculties at the time of the alleged offence, and would definitely have been acquitted had a good criminal lawyer defended him?

Not all matters are pure white or pure black' some are grey areas?

Veteran Krtish44 brings out this out this pungent point:-

Why make a drama of Own caste and exhibit caste name and associated superiority in addressing others,have expectations of worth based on caste?

The question is entirely misconceived.

The real question is twofold: Why parade one's inferiority complex, be ashamed of one's true identity by hiding or by erasing one's caste name if one is a Brahmin -- Sharma, Iyer, Iyengarr, Agnihothri, Ghanapaadi, Bhattaachaarya, Bhatt, Dvivedi, Trivedi, Chaturvedi, Samavedis, Namboodiri? And why feel guilty of having ancestors who used these caste names?

Why seek to ridicule and voluntarily offend those who correctly use these caste names in this TB forum? Why act like the famous fabled fox who lost his tail and asked all other foxes to cut off their own tails? Or like the unsung lion who went for a massive shave and ended up looking like a lioness?

Because one Iyer in this TB forum dares to identify his caste, as his parents and all his menfolk did, you quiver and quake with a massive inferioirty complex -- is that all there is to it? You have expectations of notoriety and worth based on castigating caste on a Brahmin website?

Would you require our present Prime Minister to be known only as Shankar, and fiercely condemn him for "making a drama of Own caste and exhibiting caste name and associated superiority in addressing others,have expectations of worth based on caste"?

Would you delete "Pandit" from our former and first Prime Minister Jawahar Lal Nehru's nomenclature? Ask Lal Bahadur Shaasthri, former PM, to delete "Shaasthr"i from his name? Demand that Atal Behari Vajpayee, another past PM, be known simply as Atal Bihari?

White Americans -- descended from Poles, Germans, Frenchmen, Italian s, Greeks -- travel to Europe in search of heir roots. Blacks go to Africa in search of their roots. Creoles go to both Europe and to Afrlca in search of their own roots.

You want all Tamil Brahmins to cover up, burn and bury their roots because of your personal anti-caste chauvinism?

"அன்புமிக்க தப்பித் பிழைத்து ஜீவித்திருக்கும் உயர் திரு க்ரிஷ் நாற்ப்பத்தி-நாலு அவர்களே" என்று பணிவுடன் அழைத்தேன். ஏன் ஸார் குதிதிச்சு ?

"படிக்காதவர்களும் தாழ்ந்தவர்களும் அந்தணர்களை அய்யர்-வாள் என்பார்கள்."

ஏன் படிப்பில் தாந்தவர் என்று புரியவில்லை ? ஏன் பிறப்பில் தாந்தவர் என்று துள்ளுகிறீர்கள் ? ஆங்கிலம் உயர்ந்தது நம் தமிழ் தாழ்ந்தது என்று நினைக்கிறீர்களா ?

ஒருவர் இராஜலக்ஷ்மி வேங்கடஸுப்ரமண்ய அம்மாள் என்ற பெயர் இட்டுக்கொண்டால் அவரை தூக்கி வீசி அவமானிப்பிரீர்களா ? சொல்லுங்கள் ஸார் .

குறை ஒன்றும் இல்லை மறைமூர்த்தி கண்ணா, குறை ஒன்றும் இல்லை கோவிந்தா, கோபாலா கேசவா!

In the wise words of another Veteran in this TB forum:

When the inexorable march of time demands of you only to bend a little, you are readily advocating to crawl and lick the boots. That is the pity of the day. There are many like you. And that is the curse.

Madam Renuka, a Veteran, asks:-

"Since you agree that a Balinese Brahmin who is of Non Indian origin is a bonafide Brahmin too..how would you view a marriage between a Tamil Brahmin and Balinese Brahmin? Is this acceptable?"

Marriages between a Sri Lankan Brahmin and a TB have been accepted, haven't they? And a Bangladeshi Brahmin with a TB? And a Nepalese Brahmin with a TB? Tomorrow perhaps a Pakistani Brahmin with a TB?

If the groom's side and the bride's side share and follow the same shaasthraas, rites and rituals, have the same high regard for the principles enunciated in the Shruthis, smruthis and other scriptures, are born to Brahmin parents who are themselves born to Brahmin parents, what are the objections?

On what grounds?

S Narayanaswamy Iyer

Dear Sir,

Using Iyer or Iyengar behind a persons name is very general..why not go specific?

For eg in Punjab ..Saraswat Brahmins have surname Hastir, Agnihotri,Bhanot etc..its very specific.

Iyer in non specific..every TB is either an Iyer or Iyengar
.why arent TB surnames more specific like North Brahmins?

Can you explain more to me as why Iyers use only Iyer as surname and dont go specific?

Some need to learn from me,an iyengar by birth.

My iyer DIL wears our madisar on occassions. Nice thilakam and kondai when needed.

Thats the price of love for vaishnavite brahmin.lol

I don't think it is only on occasions. It must be permanent since your DIL has changed her religion from Smartha to Vaishnava. Otherwise, she will definitely be forced to wear.

Some need to learn from me,an iyengar by birth.

My iyer DIL wears our madisar on occassions. Nice thilakam and kondai when needed.

Thats the price of love for vaishnavite brahmin.lol
You didn't get me right, Sir! :)

The bride follows only the groom's customs and traditions. :hail:

You WON'T allow her to wear Iyer madisAr!! :lol:

You didn't get me right, Sir! :)

The bride follows only the groom's customs and traditions. :hail:

You WON'T allow her to wear Iyer madisAr!! :lol:
I did not specifically ask anything.

She asked her husband and decided herself.

She had been indoctrinated by her own traditional family.

She had forced my son to undergo poonool ceremony before marriage.Poor fellow . Went thru that to marry her.

She is likely to ensure that my son follows the traditional religeous path rigorously while I watch from sidelines.

Next she might end up in tirupati with her kid for tonsure.

After marriage who transforms the other and how is worth watching.

Normally boy succumbs.

Dear Sir,

Using Iyer or Iyengar behind a persons name is very general..why not go specific?

For eg in Punjab ..Saraswat Brahmins have surname Hastir, Agnihotri,Bhanot etc..its very specific.

Iyer in non specific..every TB is either an Iyer or Iyengar
.why arent TB surnames more specific like North Brahmins?

Can you explain more to me as why Iyers use only Iyer as surname and dont go specific?

Brahmins also use the place to which they belong as surname.

How about delhiwala as surname?

Life has indeed become very difficult for brahmin boys in IC/IR weddings.

Mostly they are not arranged or arranged after love affair.

The expectation levels from girls in these marriages are sky high.

They expect super men in kitchen , driver for car, financiar for all clothes,jewellery ,holidays and look after her parents,remember birthdays,anniversaries-all these are

a minimum. The list can be endless.

Then they have better control systems as compared with older generation.

Many boys end up as wrecks living upto He man image.

Most end up greying or balding fast.

We seniors relatively had it pretty easy.

Marriage has ceased to be worthwhile for the younger crowd.

Most are now afraid of the word commitment...

I did not specifically ask anything.

She asked her husband and decided herself.

She had been indoctrinated by her own traditional family.

She had forced my son to undergo poonool ceremony before marriage.Poor fellow . Went thru that to marry her.

She is likely to ensure that my son follows the traditional religeous path rigorously while I watch from sidelines.

Next she might end up in tirupati with her kid for tonsure.

After marriage who transforms the other and how is worth watching.

Normally boy succumbs.

hi

now a dys....all AMMANJIS are poor fellows....i agreed...

Life has indeed become very difficult for brahmin boys in IC/IR weddings. .......
So ..... they should get ONLY a brahmin girl as spouse because they are very smart and efficient! :thumb:

And, the girls know that they can't depend on Ambis for everything. :)

I like the way these brahmin girls act as effective buffers protecting their men from evil eyes , bad habits like smoke and drink and can fight like tigress when they find

their man eyeing any other girl in social space. Over the years, boys become older boys , then greying and balding mamas only liked by small kids . Then they watch

cricket and read the Hindu paper besides getting hauled to all and sundry temples in town

I like the way these brahmin girls act as effective buffers protecting their men from evil eyes , bad habits like smoke and drink and can fight like tigress when they find

their man eyeing any other girl in social space. Over the years, boys become older boys , then greying and balding mamas only liked by small kids . Then they watch

cricket and read the Hindu paper besides getting hauled to all and sundry temples in town

Sure their ring tone will be Suprabhtham if not குறை யேதும் இல்லை!

We have to talk about comparables here. A person born with a disability cannot be equated to a person who has commited a heinous act (of his volition). They are two different yardsticks.

He seems to have touched on a basic point. The point is that only "comparables" are equal creatures of God. This leads to the "1984" situation that all humans are equal, but some are more equal than others.
Sir, this is a misinterpretation of what I meant. When there is a competition, say a marathon, would a healthy world champion be right in competing against a parapalegic? Both are humans, alright. But they have differing strengths and weaknesses. We do not call one as a higher being and the other as a lower being due to the inherent uniqueness in preferences, abilities and capacities. No two fingerprints are alike - but we do not denounce one fingerprint as of a lower order and one as belonging to a higher order. There exists differences. Period.

I mentioned this since you are comparing transgenders and criminals (or ex-criminals). They do not stand on the same pedestal to be evaluated thus.

He talks about "yardsticks", i.e. units created by humans for measurement. Does God have such yardsticks? And does he use them for rewards and punishnments in this world, in the earlier world, and in the next world?
We are discussing this topic not from the perspective of a god that is created by humans but from the perspective of us humans.

Sinners who have atoned adequately for their sins (like unwed single mothers), adults, adolescents and children who have paid the price for their misdemeanours and their crimes (as classified by fellow-humans) and seek re-integration into society, into OUR society, should be measured by a different yardstick and adjudged as unfift? God has given us the authority to do that? Or only to some of us selecgted by themselves?

When? Where? How?
No one person can judge the other. It is just that we (humans) have worked ourselves into binding agreements that define boundaries of actions that could be tolerated. So, something that is selected by the large majority becomes the norm, maybe over years of being in vogue. And something else that is not becomes an aberration. An anomaly. These are all but perspectives.

Compassion, simple charity, fraternal feeling for needy fellow-humans should be discarded in favour of judgmental classification into comparables and incomparables?
I think you are stretching a word out of its context here.

Would it make any difference to Sri auh and those who agree with him, if the posited "person who has commited a heinous act (of his volition)" was later found insane and not in possession of his faculties at the time of the alleged offence, and would definitely have been acquitted had a good criminal lawyer defended him?

For a perspective, let me ask you this:

1) Who can surely know whether one is insane or not? In these days of extensive manipulation, anything is for sale

2) Do you think that it would make a difference if the person were Adolf Hitler (whom you had quoted in your post above). presuming that he is alive, "was later found insane and not in possession of his faculties at the time of the alleged offence, and would definitely have been acquitted had a good criminal lawyer (international) defended him?"

Even if the person was not of sound mind when the alleged act of crime was committed, he still cannot be compared to a transgender since a transgender has his sanity intact. Simple.

Not all matters are pure white or pure black' some are grey areas?
Yes, I do agree... :)

Best Regards,

Last edited:
If the groom's side and the bride's side share and follow the same shaasthraas, rites and rituals, have the same high regard for the principles enunciated in the Shruthis, smruthis and other scriptures, are born to Brahmin parents who are themselves born to Brahmin parents, what are the objections?

On what grounds?

Can this unbroken lineage back to Agastya rishi or somebody equally noble be proved without a doubt? Or is it only proof by induction?

Feminine search for love and masculine search for freedom ultimately have one end . Thirst for an emotional relationship

For many in IC/IR relationships , it is search for emotional bonding ,not physical alone.

How can anyone get these in arranged relationships?

The expectations in IC/IR relationships are very high.

When feminine search for love and masculine search for freedom put together lead to an emotional union then others [parents] better lay off.

By giving youngsters education and upbringing, we have done our duty. One cannot extract a price later from them .

We lived in controlled families in our times where everything was pre decided by our parents and immediate family.

We missed out in freedom of choice -whether career or marriage.

Why should another generation suffer the same fate?

Last edited:
This surname makes me :lol: , Renu!

Too bad, right?

Dear RR ji,

Parsis have surnames like Doctor,Engineer,Contractor.

I guess Screwala denotes some mechanical type of job.

But what I am surprised is Parsis are originally from Iran..what happened to their original Iranian surnames?

Even though Parsis too claim unbroken lineage some of them clearly look North Indian mixed ..some intermarriage could have taken place..they do not look 100% Iranian.

Can this unbroken lineage back to Agastya rishi or somebody equally noble be proved without a doubt? Or is it only proof by induction?

Biswa Ji...Only maternity was a certainty in the days where DNA testing was not available.

Dear Renu,

My dad used to appreciate the batting style of Nari Contractor, when I was a kid. :) What I read in Wiki:

''Nariman Jamshedji 'Nari' Contractor, born 7 March 1934, is a former cricket player. He was a left-handed opening

batsman whose international career was ended abruptly by a serious injury in 1962.''

It is amazing to note this:

''Contractor took a blow at the back of his skull and was unconscious for six days, requiring a blood transfusion, for which

West Indies captain Frank Worrell was the first to donate his blood. Contractor's life was saved but his international career

was abruptly ended as a result. In a recent interview, he mentioned as his only regret that he wanted play just one Test after

the injury, but people did not want him to. It should be noted that at the time Nari Contractor was seriously injured, cricket

batsmen did not wear helmets.''

P.S: raththam orE niRam (though
, to donate, the groups should match) !! :thumb:

Dear RR ji,

Surname for a Trigger happy mAma would be "Gunwala"!LOL

Doctor Mam,

Mamas know the difference between a Gun and a girl...... :)

More particularly, arm tapping, aiming the target and hitting the bulls eye, etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back