• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How to counter brahmin bashing??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to start a thread to report instances of brahmin bashing on the web and discuss how to counter such hate rhetoric. I request you friends to report such instances here and exchange ideas on how to counter them.

I want to bring one such instance to your notice where a collegemate of mine was blaming us.

She is a daughter of a DK member /atheist. Her argument was that it was the fault of brahmins that women who are having monthly periods are not allowed to enter temples.

I replied that no such restriction exists in temples and it was the wish of the devotees that they did not go to temples during such a time, probably because they did not feel clean and avoided going to temples out of reverence to gods who them hold in high esteem. No matter how much i argued, i could not convince her and we do not get along well after that.

Please put in your comments on this incident or if you had experienced similar situations

Thanks,
Guru

I agree with you cent percent and what one should feel that Cleanliness is next to God. It no matter it is once own will and wish.
There is no compelsion on any body on this issue

Hello!

I realize you are just doing your job, but, sorry to say, I am still not able to get used to this menacing red letter warnings, reminiscent of bloody retribution, too quick to come down on anyone suspected of a hint of wrongdoing a la Cheney's 1% doctrine, or worse, guilty until proven innocent (your words not mine).

I know, this is a privately owned forum and you make the rules for the benefit of us children.

Cheers!

nara,

you are oh, sooo graceful in your praises, i am not sure, how to return the compliment :)

by the way, we are always open to suggestions re

- re another distinct signature for moderators?

by the way, each moderator is different. krs and silverfox are the lenient, tolerant and better moderators.

just like teachers in school, moderators come in various shapes and sizes.

due to time lapses between the posts and the moderators, there is always the possibilites of objectionable posts getting through a large audience.

so, i feel, it is better to err on the side of the correctness... something similar to your home... when an intruder comes in at night.. how much leeway are you going to give him?

i do not want you to nitpick on the above example, as you did re your cheney remark... sometimes i think, you should look at our perspectives as a whole for consistency.

another forum, karuthu.com, moderates every posting. which means, a member gets a chance to post only one or may be two posts per day, depending on the moderator's availability.

i think, that deprives the forum of immediacy of response, and the excitement and fun that goes along with it.

we are not perfect, but thank you, for pointing out our dents.

i hope you grow up soon (...you make the rules for the benefit of us children.) a la .. your remark not mine :)

i hope you grow up soon (...you make the rules for the benefit of us children.) a la .. your remark not mine :)

Touche :)

But, what is the point, I will still be a child here, needing protection :)

nara,

seriously speaking, we hear your lament re perhaps 'active' moderating.

unfortunately, and speaking for myself only, i think, it is not desirable to leave this an open free format free for all arena.

i am looking at the number of active participants, and the wide range of not only interests, but also the width of erudity and faith.

these folks are here by choice, and increasingly more so.

i presume, they like it this way.

it is easy to throw stones.

however, i recommend, prior to that, any honourable member also comes with cement and gravel, and other tools to mend any potential damage.

thank you.

This is not a 'free for all' open Forum. There are Forum rules and the moderators are the judges, implementing those rules.

We want to discourage hate speech.

The 'scarlet letter' is fairly the standard as a moderator's tool in the majority of the forums. So, I don't feel that needs to be changed here - unless a majority of our members would have an issue with that.

While the styles of the moderators here are all different, I hope the members would agree that we are all doing a decent job of allowing all views (even those that would be considered as 'out of scope' to our community by some) as long as they follow the Forum rules. I do not consider that Sri kunjuppu Ji is doing any less of a quality job than any other moderator.

Regards,
KRS

seriously speaking, we hear your lament re perhaps 'active' moderating.

Hello Kunjuppu,

I appreciate your response. Moderating a forum like this is a thankless job, I do recognize that. So, please do not take this as criticism, but just an exchange of views.

I do feel the standard is a little bit too strict, only a little bit and could be relaxed. We are able to discuss many controversial topics freely and I do appreciate that. But I think we can do better than, "many" and go into "most". IMHO, any post that does not break any laws or incite lawlessness/violence, or use foul language in general or against any particular individual, should be game. If people's feelings get hurt, then they should be asked to grow a thicker skin.

Let me cite an example. Recently, there was a post by someone criticizing Iyengars. This post and some responses to it were removed. I think that was a case of over-reaction.

In any case, I am glad you are one of the moderators...

Cheers!

Sri Gansan Ji,
Welcome to the Forum. In the future please watch your language. There are many elders here, and your language may offend - even though nowadays, this type of language has become commonplace. I am editing it out. Thanks.
Regards,
KRS

I want to start a thread to report instances of brahmin bashing on the web and discuss how to counter such hate rhetoric. I request you friends to report such instances here and exchange ideas on how to counter them.

I want to bring one such instance to your notice where a collegemate of mine was blaming us.

She is a daughter of a DK member /atheist. Her argument was that it was the fault of brahmins that women who are having monthly periods are not allowed to enter temples.

I replied that no such restriction exists in temples and it was the wish of the devotees that they did not go to temples during such a time, probably because they did not feel clean and avoided going to temples out of reverence to gods who them hold in high esteem. No matter how much i argued, i could not convince her and we do not get along well after that.

Please put in your comments on this incident or if you had experienced similar situations

Thanks,
Guru

DK, huh? Well, they don't have mouths (edtd - KRS)! Just ignore them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me cite an example. Recently, there was a post by someone criticizing Iyengars. This post and some responses to it were removed. I think that was a case of over-reaction.

This forum is meant for TB community. Some people are deliberately trying to divide TB community. There is nothing wrong if moderators remove such postings criticising one section of TB community.

All the best

Dear Shri R.Venkataramani Sir,

Greetings!

This forum is meant for TB community. Some people are deliberately trying to divide TB community. There is nothing wrong if moderators remove such postings criticising one section of TB community.

Agreed, there is nothing wrong with it, but it is a over reaction nevertheless, in my opinion.

Why is criticizing one section of TB wrong? Why do you think the TB community is so fragile that one inane comment from an unknown person will fracture the entire community along sub-jathi lines? Is this Brahmin community so tightly strung along sub-jAthi lines that all it takes is a silly post, which can easily be countered, to cause irreparable damage to the entire community?

Is it not better to openly and civilly discuss all issues so that this community can come out more enlightened?

Cheers!

I totally concur with Sri R V,This site is with purpose and not a "pattimandram" for
time-pass. The discussion should have a churning effect to bring the cream. The cream should be the solution or the viable way for TBcommunity for its betterment , which all of us aim. A sense of trust and rapproachment in unity of purpose should be established if a common benign aim is to be achieved.Towards this a little sacrifice has to be borne by all.For some it may be their vibrant freedom to express anything.
I feel nothing is curtailed for full, but only cropped a little to be presentable.

Once a level of maturity and understanding levels up among dissenting views, forward march is easy and then, a misspelt word or misquoted reference may not hamper the relations. ill then ,let us have some self-regulation.

Let the mods continue with their "thankless" job.

greetings

how to control brahmin bashing?

dear friend guru,
just i came through ur thread, from the full replies i got to know onething clear, that is we lack courage to face things as it is. don't loose ur true natural spirit. My reply to ur question is bashing can be controlled by so many measures that are sama, thana, betha, thanda, so far our seniors practiced only the first two and escape. I too got such friends like you. but their family wants me to arrange secret temple visits and poojas, Their mental strength will diminish when they are in trouble then and there they need some remedy for their probs,, it is the common thing. so don't worry. regarding customs, they must be followed as far as possible. we are lack of true sense of the original things, the intuitive things behind those customs cannot be explained by elites, so be calm and make urself as Parasuram the disciplined brahmin who is the nightmare for so many emperors. stick to ur own customs and worship your parents.

Hi Mr.KRS,
This type of language is ok with many of the forums where I am a member. Anyway I will avoid it in the future. But the very mention of DK does that to me! I am no youngster, am 49 years old and have been watching all their antics for so many years.

I would like to add something. There was a time when there was only the Hindu religion since the beginning of time. This religion is the oldest known to man. Scriptures confirm this. There was the caste system, Shaivites, Vaishnavites etc. But since the advent of Kali yuga, religions come into being, the first one being the Mayan religion. So rather than calling this "brahmin bashing" i would call it "Hindu bashing" as quoted by one of the members in his posts which was removed.

There are a lot of practices which goes without bashed on religions which are morally incorrect. I will share one of my experiences as a school student. I was about to write my very first exam for my 10th standard board exam. I studied in a Hindu school in Mylapore but my exam center was a popular school in Adyar practicing a different religious faith. All the exams are supposed to start at 10 am and finish by 12:30 pm. For the first day, we were all called for prayer. The prayer started at 9:30 am and it went until 10:30 am, taking half an hour of the exam. But students are unable to do anything. They never gave extra time because all over Tamil Nadu exams have to finish at the same time. But nobody made sure exams start at the same time.

For these people spreading their religion and faith to other people is morally more important than examinations of children. If someone want to raise an issue of bashing, let it have some significance of morale.

Last edited:
I am Terribly shocked at the action of Shri Kunjuppu jis drastic way of removing my posts as a result of Critisising late Dr.YSR ,Honble CM of A.P State.
Right or wrong everybody has the right to express ones views.
Critisism is a part of Democracy. Dead or Alive is not at all a matter.
Even today Article about M.A.Jinnah is burning.
While talking about Periyar,All brahmins in Tamil Nadu will never involve in hiding the bundles of Ill Deeds he did as long as he was alive.I personally have bitter opinion about Gandhi. But at the same time, I knowe that It will not be the Majority Opinion of all Tamil Brahmins.
YSR gave encouragement to Mathew company (a Keralite Christian)to prepare Laddus in Thirupathy.This is flashed in all News Papers. That Mathew Company,instead of doing their jobs of Preparing Laddus issued Bit Notices in praise of Christ.
No Political party including Telugu Desam feared to Condem such Im Moral Behaviour of YSR and Mathew company except BJP.This also flashed in all news papers at that time.
The way in which Gandhi behaved during Navakali Massacare is an act of rediculus Rowdism at that time.
6000 women were brutally massacared and 20000 Hindu ladies were Raped.
In fact that sort of Mis lead at that time paved the way for Red Light and Increased Prostitution in Calcutta.
After the massacare of Gandhi nearly 6000 innocent Maharashtrian Brahmins were brutally massacared as Gotsay was a Brahmin.Can we justify that this is Right?
The whole country praises my Grand Pa Veera Vanchi and accepted him as a Patriot as he massacared Collector Ash in Vanchi Maniyachi.
So right or wrong everyone must have the freedom to write Truth.
Is it True or Not let the society Decide and not the Moderators of this Forum.At the same time I have Good Respects over Kunjuppu ji.

The whole country praises my Grand Pa Veera Vanchi and accepted him as a Patriot as he massacared Collector Ash in Vanchi Maniyachi.

It is really heartening to know that you are related to the Great Veera Vanchi. Eventhough we cannot support violent methods, the sacrifice of Veera Vanchi has no parallel in our freedom struggle. Let us all salute Veera Vanchi

All the best

My Grand pa Late Shri Bala Sundaram Iyer of Shencottah is 5 yrs elder to Vanchi.,my Chinna Tha Tha.
Vanchi Tha Tha is just 19 at the time of massacare and his sucide which happened simultaniously at a time in Mani yachi.
Soon after the massacare my grandpa was abt 24 yrs and just married at that time on those days.
As he was also searched by the british police on those days,he left my Grand ma Anantha Lakshmi ammal in Kadayam,under the care of his well wisher and fled to Vyasarpadi in Chennai.
After a very long time nearly 10 to 15 yrs and after 1921 after the birth of my mother Smt Varalakshmi ,he returned back to Kadayam,.
Till then my grand ma met my grand pa who lived in disguise and led a very pathetic living.

sankar,

the reason why your post was editted out and you were warned, is that you must express your feelings carefully here.

please remember that this is a public forum with a level of decorum.

your post, re ysr, was unfitting to be published here. we have certain standards of dignity, to both the living, and the dead.

all other details you have posted in #90 are irrelevant to the fact that your post re ysr was in my opinion, in overall bad taste.

there are other members who had the chance to read, and commented that you need to tone down your language. i second that.

by the way, we have warned you before re bringing your socio political views here in a manner that violates the rules, intent and spirit of this forum.

the warning still stands.

may i recommend, that you please use the forum while observing its guidelines and norms, and reserve the rest of your socio political beliefs for elsewhere.

thank you.

Last edited:

Greetings!

Agreed, there is nothing wrong with it, but it is a over reaction nevertheless, in my opinion.

Why is criticizing one section of TB wrong? Why do you think the TB community is so fragile that one inane comment from an unknown person will fracture the entire community along sub-jathi lines? Is this Brahmin community so tightly strung along sub-jAthi lines that all it takes is a silly post, which can easily be countered, to cause irreparable damage to the entire community?

Is it not better to openly and civilly discuss all issues so that this community can come out more enlightened?

Cheers!

nara,

this issue has nothing to do with 'fragility' of TB community as viewed in this forum.

one time visitors, register themselves and create a thread and disappear.

when viewing this thread as a moderator, it became apparent, that this was one where a lot of opportunities to heap vitriol and throw darts.

there was nothing potential good coming out of it.

as we have often reiterated, this is not a free for all forum, where all topics are kosher. we have certain limits, and moderators try to enforce those limits.

hope this explains.

Last edited:
My Grand pa Late Shri Bala Sundaram Iyer of Shencottah is 5 yrs elder to Vanchi.,my Chinna Tha Tha.
Vanchi Tha Tha is just 19 at the time of massacare and his sucide which happened simultaniously at a time in Mani yachi.
Soon after the massacare my grandpa was abt 24 yrs and just married at that time on those days.
As he was also searched by the british police on those days,he left my Grand ma Anantha Lakshmi ammal in Kadayam,under the care of his well wisher and fled to Vyasarpadi in Chennai.
After a very long time nearly 10 to 15 yrs and after 1921 after the birth of my mother Smt Varalakshmi ,he returned back to Kadayam,.
Till then my grand ma met my grand pa who lived in disguise and led a very pathetic living.

Late Sri Gomathi Sankara Dikshidar's grandson is my good friend and has told me about the incident. Dikshidar, Neelakanta Brahmachari, Veera Vanchi and others went to Kali temple to decide right person to do the job. Out of several members, Veera Vanchi name was picked in front of Kali and he executed the job at Maniachi station. It is a great sacrifice for the nation.

All of us should be proud of Veera Vanchi's sacrifice.

Dear Mr TSSN,

While all that you have stated shall be accepted as facts, is there any use nursing the wounds of the past? Eye for eye and tooth for tooth never benefitted the human race in general and brahmins in particular. Hate begets hate but love covers all sins. Let us forget the gory past. Let us set right the present and view the world in a broader perspective. We are not isolated. May I ask you one thing? Are you convinced about your faith? If yes you need not fear attempts by others to proselytize a third person. If you have confidence in yourself, even if you remain the last Brahmin in the world, you can win the world. I request you to ponder over the following:

1) Do you think the Brahmin community is great because YOU were born in the community?
2) Is it your choice before you were born, that you were born a Brahmin, a Tamil Brahmin in that if you are one?
3) Was the gender you were born, your choice? Was the family you were born into, the linguistic group you belong, your choice?
Please ponder.

Greetings!

Cheers!

Professor Nara ji,

I don't think TB community so fragile on sub caste line. I don't mind if the discussions takes place at the merits and demerits of the philosophies such as Advaida, Vishitadvida and Dwaida. The discussions have to be at intellectual level and not on the sub sect level.

Infact there are so many other philosophies prevailing within the Hindu religion. When Kanchi Acharya presided over a Kumbabhisekham of a Siva temple, Saiva Adheenam Madathipathis objected that Saiva philosophy is different from Advaitha philosophy. If we know the differences between various philosophies within Hindu religion, I think it will be definitely better for all of us.

Instead of allowing people to divide, I felt that there should be more unity.

All the best

Sri Sankara Narayanan,
You have an ancestry you can be proud of and making others also feel proud. hu you have some cherished memories or firsthand experiences , which may be well worth sharing with the forum members. Probably you may pen them for posterity and research.

But your writings should not be overshadowed by emotion and resulting unfitting words. I need not emphasise on the discipline and thereby the might of the well trained army viz-a-viz the random armed crowd. Whatever be the bad experiencesone may have, blurting with rash words is not justified.

We however await your positive contributions within norms of social civility and public decency, and falling within overall guidelines of the forum. I think further journey is going to be enjoyable.

Greetings.

Sri Sankara Narayanan,
You have an ancestry you can be proud of and making others also feel proud. hu you have some cherished memories or firsthand experiences , which may be well worth sharing with the forum members. Probably you may pen them for posterity and research.

But your writings should not be overshadowed by emotion and resulting unfitting words. I need not emphasise on the discipline and thereby the might of the well trained army viz-a-viz the random armed crowd. Whatever be the bad experiencesone may have, blurting with rash words is not justified.

We however await your positive contributions within norms of social civility and public decency, and falling within overall guidelines of the forum. I think further journey is going to be enjoyable.

Greetings.

I fully endorse Sri Surya Kasyapa's views. Sri Sankaranarayanan ji, unlike most of us, you are inherited from one of the greatest freedom fighters family. You have a responsibity to uphold the traditions of Late Sri Veera Vanchi.

All the best

I thank all our brotherly Members of TB for every one praised my Grand Pa,the real Patriot.
This Holy Nation at Present,is not matching in any way imagined by our ancestors and real freedom Fighters.
I hope this also agreed by all our members.Like the proverb,"Be a Roman when youre in Rome" we have to change our attitude according to the Todays Trend.
Vadivelu Sollara madhiri," ethanai nalaikku thaan valikkada maadhiri Nadikkarathu"
"Show your another cheek to the one who gave a lash at the other" This was said by Jesus Christ.
I am a Non Beliver of Christ but I am sure that,"No Christians are Following the Holy Words of Jesus"
Once up on a Time Christianity is famous for Kind & Mercy.I am brought up in a Christian Institution (St Johns College Palayamcottai) But now?
From the Origin of Islam existed in India during Invaders Time, to till date,it belived only in Violance.Compulsory Conversions were followed during Muslim Rule in India.The Holy Shiva Linga at Meenakshi Temple is damaged by the Invadors of those days.These are all Universal Facts that happened in Indian History.
You should not write this, and you should not write that,means what to do?Does the Forum wants its members to tell lies?
Our TB is not a political party to depend on minority votes.No brahmin including me, is going to contest in elections and depend on Minority votes.At the same time we must not make quarrel at them.When an ill deed is screwed against Hindus in a particular partys regine it is our duty to exhibit,and not keeping Mum against the bad deed and I exhibited one such Ill Deed happened to Thirupathy during Shri YSRs Rule that is all.Even if any ill deed happened to Hindus any where in India even in Gujarat,where Mr Modi is the Honble CM I will continue to write.
Uchhi Meedu Vaan Idinthu Veelukindra Poothilum...Achamillai achamillai achamenba thillaiye...Red Salute to Bharati.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back