• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Who is brahmanan

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrongan

An excerpt from mahabharatha about who is brahmin

பிராஹ்மணன் யார் ?

ஸ்ரீ கிருஷ்ண பரமாத்மாவை நோக்கி “பிராஹ்மணீயத்தை” பற்றி சில கேள்விகளை கேட்கிறார். அந்த ஸம்பாஷனையை இங்கு நாம் தற்போது பார்ப்பது பொருத்தமாக இருக்கும் என நினைக்கிறேன்.

யுதிஷ்டிரர்: கேசவா, ஜனார்த்தனா, பிராஹ்மணன் யார், அவனது தன்மை யாது?

பகவான்: தர்மத்தை, அனுஷ்டிப்பவருள் சிறந்தவரே, யுதிஷ்டிரரே, கேளும்:
* சிகையும், யஜ்னோபவீதமுள்ளவர்களும்,
* ஹோமம் செய்பவர்களும்,
* தன் மனைவியிடத்திலேயே ஆசை
யுள்ளவர்களும்,
* நேரம் கிடைக்கும் போதெல்லாம் வேதம் ஓதுபவர்களும், *ஸந்த்யாவந்தனம் மூலம் காயத்ரியை உபாஸிப்
பவர்களும்,
* அதிதி தர்மத்தை அனுஷ்டிப்பவர்களும்,
* பித்ரு கார்யத்தில் சிரத்தையுடையவர்களையும் பிராஹ்மணன் என்று கூறலாம்.

***அரசரே, பாண்டவரே, மேலும் சில விஷயங்களை கூறுகின்றேன். கேளும்:

பிராஹ்மண குலத்தில் பிறந்தும் மேதாவிகளாகயிருந்தும் *தேவபூஜை செய்யாதவர்கள்,
* பேராசையுள்ளவர்கள்,
* தன் மனைவியிடத்தில் ஆசை வைக்காதவர்கள், *சமையலில் வேற்றுமை செய்பவர்கள்.
* தகப்பனாரையும், தாயாரையும், குருவையும் அவமதிப்பவர்கள்,
* ஸந்தியோபாஸ்தி செய்யாதவர்கள்.
* ஸ்வாஹையற்றவன்,
* ஸ்வதையற்றவன், மாமனார், மாமியாரை அனுசரிக்காதவன்,
* வட்டியில் ஸம்பாதிப்பவன்,
* பொய் வேஷம் பூண்டவன்,
* ஆசாரமில்லாதவன்
இவர்களின் வாழ்க்கை வீணானவை என்று தெரிந்துகொள்ளும்.

Dear wrongan Sir,

The topic 'Who is a brahmin' is oft discussed topic in our forum! So, it might be 'arachcha mAvu' again!

Also, some active members can't read Tamil and hence there is no response for the OP so far!

BTW, the first condition is 'kudumi + poonool'! The 'kudumi' aspect will make almost all the brahmins NBs!! :)

Dear wrongan Sir,

The topic 'Who is a brahmin' is oft discussed topic in our forum! So, it might be 'arachcha mAvu' again!

It might be good idea that for such topics we create a repository so that any newcomer can refer to that for responses...If we ask the person to do a search in the TBF archives wherein the person will in turn get some 10 threads and it may involve reading some 200-300 posts or even more

In fact, I would like to suggest Praveen, if we can have a summary for heavy topics discussing pros and cons..This will save the trouble of going through a large no of threads for getting the responses

And the repository can get expanded based on inputs..

This definitely requires some work as the wheat has to be separated from chaff..Probably if we have 100 posts for a topic, the essence may be in 10-15 posts and then the summary has to be created

Last edited:
An excerpt from mahabharatha about who is brahmin

பிராஹ்மணன் யார் ?

ஸ்ரீ கிருஷ்ண பரமாத்மாவை நோக்கி “பிராஹ்மணீயத்தை” பற்றி சில கேள்விகளை கேட்கிறார். அந்த ஸம்பாஷனையை இங்கு நாம் தற்போது பார்ப்பது பொருத்தமாக இருக்கும் என நினைக்கிறேன்.

யுதிஷ்டிரர்: கேசவா, ஜனார்த்தனா, பிராஹ்மணன் யார், அவனது தன்மை யாது?

பகவான்: தர்மத்தை, அனுஷ்டிப்பவருள் சிறந்தவரே, யுதிஷ்டிரரே, கேளும்:
* சிகையும், யஜ்னோபவீதமுள்ளவர்களும்,
* ஹோமம் செய்பவர்களும்,
* தன் மனைவியிடத்திலேயே ஆசை
யுள்ளவர்களும்,
* நேரம் கிடைக்கும் போதெல்லாம் வேதம் ஓதுபவர்களும், *ஸந்த்யாவந்தனம் மூலம் காயத்ரியை உபாஸிப்
பவர்களும்,
* அதிதி தர்மத்தை அனுஷ்டிப்பவர்களும்,
* பித்ரு கார்யத்தில் சிரத்தையுடையவர்களையும் பிராஹ்மணன் என்று கூறலாம்.

***அரசரே, பாண்டவரே, மேலும் சில விஷயங்களை கூறுகின்றேன். கேளும்:

பிராஹ்மண குலத்தில் பிறந்தும் மேதாவிகளாகயிருந்தும் *தேவபூஜை செய்யாதவர்கள்,
* பேராசையுள்ளவர்கள்,
* தன் மனைவியிடத்தில் ஆசை வைக்காதவர்கள், *சமையலில் வேற்றுமை செய்பவர்கள்.
* தகப்பனாரையும், தாயாரையும், குருவையும் அவமதிப்பவர்கள்,
* ஸந்தியோபாஸ்தி செய்யாதவர்கள்.
* ஸ்வாஹையற்றவன்,
* ஸ்வதையற்றவன், மாமனார், மாமியாரை அனுசரிக்காதவன்,
* வட்டியில் ஸம்பாதிப்பவன்,
* பொய் வேஷம் பூண்டவன்,
* ஆசாரமில்லாதவன்
இவர்களின் வாழ்க்கை வீணானவை என்று தெரிந்துகொள்ளும்.

Dear Wrongan,

There is no genuine 100% brAhmaNan or brahmin today; all are fake currencies trying to be accepted as genuine.

BTW, the first condition is 'kudumi + poonool'! The 'kudumi' aspect will make almost all the brahmins NBs!! :)

Dear RR ji,

A non practicing Brahmin does NOT become a Non Brahmin.

A reject from one varna does not automatically become another varna.

A non practicing Brahmin is called a Brahma Bandhu.

Chandogya Upanishad is clear about this.

Om. shvetaketur hAruNeya Asa, taM ha pitovAca: shvetaketo,
vasa brahmacaryam, na vai, saumya, asmat-kulIno.ananUcya
brahma-bandhur iva bhavatIti 6.1.1

Om. Once upon a time there was one Shvetaketu, the grandson
of AruNa. His father (UddAlaka) said to him, "O Shvetaketu,
live the life of a celibate student in the teacher's house.
Dear boy, there never is anyone in our family who does not
study (the vedA-s) and is only a namesake-brAhmaNa".

chhAndogya upaniShad 6.1.1 - 6.1.3

Last edited:
.......... This definitely requires some work as the wheat has to be separated from chaff..Probably if we have 100 posts for a topic, the essence may be in 10-15 posts and then the summary has to be created
Wow! But who will DO it?? :noidea:

Dear Renu,
There exist 'born brahmins' only and I will be happy if they refuse at least non.veg and spirit! :decision:

Madam,This contradicts what you are saying..It should be "who studies"...So there never is anyone in our family who studies would mean then that no one is studying veda ..(ananUcya)

Dear Sir,

Kindly refer to explanation below.I had posted this sometime back in Forum...took it from some website.

om
shvetaketu: shvetaketu, by name
AruNeya: the grandson of AruNa
Asa ha: there was (once upon a time)
taM: to him
pitA: (his) father
uvAca ha: said
shvetaketo: O shvetaketu
brahmacaryaM: the disciplined life of a celibate student
vasa: live

saumya: dear boy
asmatkulIno: anyone in our family
ananUcya: who does not study (the vedA-s)
brahmabanduH iva: like one who does not have the conduct of
brAhmaNa but only points to the brAhmaNA-s as his relations;
i.e. who is only a brAhmaNa for namesake
na vai: never was
bhavati: there is
iti: thus

The last words is Na Vai Bhavati Iti..that sums it up all by saying that such it never happened..so it means that the scenario of those who have not studied the Vedas has never happened in their family lineage.

This means: Dear Boy,
There has never been anyone in our family lineage that does not study the Vedas and merely points to Brahmanas as his relations(a.k.a Brahma Bandhu).

The meaning is very clear.

Last edited:
:Who is brahmanan

This subject has been discussed a number of times in Tamil Brahmin Forum. However I give below another quote from The Yakhsa Prashna (also known as the Dharma Baka Upakhyan: Story of the Righteous Crane) appears in the Vana Parva (or Aranyaka-parva or Aranya-parva) of the great epic, the Mahabharata. Yaksha is non other than Yama Dharma, father of Yudhishtira. Thus Yaksha Prashna is considered "An Encounter Between Dharma, The Father And Yudhishtira, The Son" .

Q: Yaksha: 'By what, O king, birth, behavior, study, or learning does a person become a Brahmana? Tell us with conviction!'

A: Yudhishtira: 'Listen, O Yaksha! It is neither birth, nor study, nor learning that is the cause of Brahmanahood. Without any doubt, it is behavior that constitutes it. One's behavior should always be well-guarded, especially by a Brahmana. He who maintains his conduct unimpaired, is never impaired himself. Be it a Guru or a Sishya, in fact, all who study the scriptures, if addicted to wicked habits, are to be regarded as illiterate wretches. He only is learned who performs his religious duties. He even that has studied the four Vedas is to be regarded as a wicked wretch. He who performs the Agnihotra and has his senses under control, is called a 'Brahmana!'

Ofcourse, very few will qualify to be called "Brahmana" under this definition.

Brahmanyan,
Bangalore.

It is neither birth, nor study, nor learning that is the cause of Brahmanahood. Without any doubt, it is behavior that constitutes it. .
It is posts like this that add much needed fuel for the thread to take off .... let us hope it does not happen ....

It is posts like this that add much needed fuel for the thread to take off .... let us hope it does not happen ....

None of us (so called) brAhmaNas are true brAhmaNas. We will not (can we?) permit any one else to be called a brAhmaNa on the basis of behaviour, because that will be discredit for us. That is why I said in the beginning itself that there are no more genuine brAhmaNas.

My dad had a close friend named Wahab, who was nicknamed 'mittAy thAthA' by my sisters kids. He used to visit our house every

morning to greet my dad. He did not eat non.veg stuff, smoke or drink alcohol. My dad used to refer to him as 'Wahab Iyer'! :)

This Iyer was so much attached to my dad that he was NOT alive to hear the news of the demise of my dad. He passed away the

very next day! I have written about this friendship in a literature thread.

Did Wahab refer to your dad as <your dad's name> sahibu because he cared for poor people, basic human dignity, etc.?
:lol: Even true brahmins are supposed to have those qualities dear Sir! :decision:

BTW, Wahab Ji was not sporting 'kudumi' or did 'hOmams'!!

I have noticed many times even in case of Dr APJ Abdul Kalam being referred to as Kalam Iyer.

This I feel is not fair to the community Dr APJ is from..that is we are not giving due credit to a person.

I have seen that Hindus tend to do this..when they meet a person from a different community or religion whom they feel is good etc..they become like an Amoeba and use their pseudopodia to enclose the person by calling him "Oh he is not like a Muslim/Christian..he is like a Hindu and give him some Hindu Pseudonym"

I feel this can be considered sort of an insult as to not to acknowledge that goodness can be present in anyone and is not the sole patented copy right of Hindus or any Hindu Subcaste.

As humans the least we can do is to recognize that goodness can exists in anyone and everyone and we might actually not even measure up to the other person.

Last edited:
Even true brahmins are supposed to have those qualities dear Sir!

BTW, Wahab Ji was not sporting 'kudumi' or did 'hOmams'!!
Dear Mrs. RR, you have missed my point. Renuka got it, please take a look at her post #22 above ....

thanks. added to my knowledge
at best I can be a Brahmabandu as the nomenclature appeals to me feeling like a Trishanku between heaven and earth
Those Brahmin traits and practices which do not meet the needs of 21st century require to be discarded
An order based on equality and gender justice needs to emerge
I am an arm chair marxist of indian seventies

Did Wahab refer to your dad as <your dad's name> sahibu because he cared for poor people, basic human dignity, etc.?
Nara ji Though I found yr comment humorous,Raji Ram ji s sentiment might be hurt. she was referring to a muslim with veg preference along with other traits identified with her caste.
hinduism has the capacity to absorb and destroy other faiths
hindus may not mind treating Kalam as a hindu due to his other traits . whether he would like to be one is another issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back