• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Upanayanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
namaste.

In Chennai sweet stalls, the muLLuthtEnkuzhal is known as muLLu muRukku and the nADA as ribbon pakkODA!

என்னமோ Raghy சார்! முந்தின தலைமுறையில் பல பெண்கள் மாடகத்தான் உழைத்தார்கள்! நிஜமான மாட்டுப் பெண்கள்!

அது சரி. மறுபடியும் மகன் ஆகிவிடுபவன், ஏன் 'மறுமகன்' இல்லாமல் 'மருமகன்'??

Sowbagyavathy VR, Greetings.

I don't know the answer. Is it something to do with the grammer rules? Like we 'vallinam' 'mellinam' mix? (வல்லினம் மெல்லினம் சேர்க்கை ) I can't think of any other reason other than grammer rules. But I don't know for sure though.

Cheers!

Greetings.

'Mullu murukku' is also known as 'manoppu' (மனோப்பு.). Actually that was the only name known to me since I was young. No egg though. ( I am quite suprised to see the addition of egg in this!).

Cheers!

பிறந்த மற்றும் புகுந்த வீட்டுப் பெருமைகளை நிலை நாட்டுபவளே 'நாட்டுப் பெண்'! :angel:

இந்த விளக்கம் எப்படி இருக்கு? :blabla:

I noticed, Sri. Saidevo appropriately replied to this query.

I thought all along, the girl who would become the 'nattanmai (நாட்டாண்மை ) of the house' is நாட்டுப்பெண். In other words, she would rule the household and has the final say in household matters!

uyarntha ullam-vanthal mahalakshmiye en veetil.mp4 - YouTube

Cheers!

I don't know the answer. Is it something to do with the grammer rules? Like we 'vallinam' 'mellinam' mix? (வல்லினம் மெல்லினம் சேர்க்கை ) I can't think of any other reason other than grammer rules. But I don't know for sure though. .......
Dear Raghy Sir,

ஏறு + மயில், ஏறுமயில் என்றும், ஆறு + முகம், 'ஆறுமுகம்' என்றும்தானே ஆகின்றன.

இது வல்லின, மெல்லின விவகாரம் இல்லையென்று நினைக்கிறேன்!

PS: Greetings எல்லாம் அக்காவுக்கே போறது!! :bolt:

Sowbagyavathy RR, Greetings.

I had a hearty laugh! Thank you. I realise I was greeting your elder sister. I am sure she will share them with you! ( I will not be sorry or I can't regret greeting your sister though. You know that! She is well worth those greetings as much as you are).

Cheers!

It is called "inam mayakkam" exchange of vallinam for mellinam and vice versa. For example, black is written two ways:கறுப்பு, கருப்பு
Likewise கற்பூரம் கருப்பூரம் are used interchangeably for camphor. In nAcciyAr tirumozhi ANDAL sings " கருப்பூரம் நாறுமோ கமலப்பூ நாறுமோ". I will try to find the grammar rule if I can.

In our household it was always called muksari. Thenkuzhal, manangombu, muksari, were all different. Now it is mostly murukku south of vindhya and chakli north of vindhya.

I am also surprised to 'egg' in murukku. Will check for green dot in future!

Greetings.

'Mullu murukku' is also known as 'manoppu' (மனோப்பு.). Actually that was the only name known to me since I was young. No egg though. ( I am quite suprised to see the addition of egg in this!).

Cheers!

மருமகன் என்பது "மாப்பிள்ளையை" குறிக்கிறது. மறுமகன் என்பது வேறொரு மகனை அல்லது இரண்டாவது மகனை குறிக்கும்.

Yes, மறுமகன் refers to another son (maRRoru magan) like we say maRupaDiyum which means "again"
மாப்பிள்ளை refers to son-in-law who is considered a big (mA = periya) or revered son. In those days there was a big age difference between the groom and the bride (example: Bharathi was 14 and ChellammA was 7). In that respect the son-in-law was considered a "big son".

In Coimbatore district this comes under 'murukku' category! The 'nAdA pokkavadAm' is nick-named 'tape murukku'!!
hi RR madam,
in coimbatore/palakkad belt area...ITS CALLED' NAADA MURUKKU'.....YES ITS UNDER MURUKKU CATEGORY....SOME SAYS NICK NAMED
RIBBON MURUKKU....

......... in coimbatore/palakkad belt area...ITS CALLED' NAADA MURUKKU'.....YES ITS UNDER MURUKKU CATEGORY....SOME SAYS NICK NAMED RIBBON MURUKKU....
Ribbon = NAdA = Tape = ?? So many names for one kind of savory!

Once my music student cum friend who teaches Carnatic music told me '
நான் நேத்திக்கு நெறைய TAPE பண்ணினேன்!

(nAn nEththikku neraiya 'tape' paNNinEn!) and I asked her what all songs she recorded!! Then I got the explanation

that she prepared 'tape murukku'! :hungry:

Thanks a lot to Iyya and Mahakavi for their clear explanation.

Chellamma was only 7 years younger to Bharathi. In our (Ram and me) family circle,
many couples have nearly a decade of difference in age!! :faint:

Now a days, almost all மருமகன்
s are மறுமகன்s; BUT மருமகள்s are not always மறுமகள்s. :tsk:

>>
Now a days, almost all மருமகன்s are மறுமகன்s; BUT மருமகள்s are not always மறுமகள்s.<<

I am not sure of the above statement. The marumagan is polite to his in-laws and there is reciprocity from the in-laws and hence there is an endearment (
மருமகன் isமறுமகன்). He will never indulge in arguments with his in-laws. At worst he may not engage in cordial conversation--that is all. In the case of the daughter-in-law, there is a barrier for the DIL to accept her MIL as cordially as she would her own mother. There is also a mutual distrust in most of the cases. Hence there is bound to be some same-gender discord (மருமகள் isnot always மறுமகள். This was in the past. The current generation of DILs are a different breed. In the old days DILs always called their MILs as "ammA" whether they liked it or not. I don't know how they call them now. They hardly co-exist anymore and on occasional encounters it is just "Hi there" type of interaction. There are always exceptions, I am sure.:behindsofa:​

>>
In the old days DILs always called their MILs as "ammA" whether they liked it or not.

I don't think anyone calls their MIL Amma isn't it?
Cos if we call her Amma that means her son is a brother!!LOL

As far as I know out here everyone calls the MIL Attai or Aunty.
I used to call my late MIL Aunty.
Even my mum used to call her MIL Aunty only.

I have yet to hear anyone call MIL Amma out here.

In our household it was always called muksari. Thenkuzhal, manangombu, muksari, were all different. Now it is mostly murukku south of vindhya and chakli north of vindhya.

I am also surprised to 'egg' in murukku. Will check for green dot in future!

In Malaysia even Malays have started making Murrukku and they call it Marukku.
Even Chinese can make great murukku out here.

............. I have yet to hear anyone call MIL Amma out here.
I want to share one of the conversations I had with my cousin sister, living in Ernakulam, Kerala, soon after the engagement of my son.

Cousin: akka! un 'would-be' nAttup poNNu unnai eppadik kooppadaRA?

Me: 'AmmA'.
Cousin: Oho! appidiyA? unnaik kuppiyilE pOttu moodiyAchchu! (followed by a loud :pound:)

PS:

1. kuppi = bottle

2. When I talk to Ram / his brothers and sisters, I refer to ammA as 'enga ammA' and my MIL as 'namma ammA'. Cool, right? :smow:

RR madam,

I am cross with you. You can not paste the picture of mullu murukku and tempt me:drama:. I miss them. Btw, I think 'mullu murukku' is what we call in Telugu as 'maukupoolu' and 'seer murukku' is what we call as 'chakkilam'. 'muthusaram' is thengulal? No egg in any case.

I don't understand the meaning of your cousin's comment posted by you in post no.121.

I want to share one of the conversations I had with my cousin sister, living in Ernakulam, Kerala, soon after the engagement of my son.

Cousin: akka! un 'would-be' nAttup poNNu unnai eppadik kooppadaRA?

Me: 'AmmA'.
Cousin: Oho! appidiyA? unnaik kuppiyilE pOttu moodiyAchchu! (followed by a loud :pound:)

PS:

1. kuppi = bottle

2. When I talk to Ram / his brothers and sisters, I refer to ammA as 'enga ammA' and my MIL as 'namma ammA'. Cool, right? :smow:
dear Raji ram !
nice explanation.i was telling my wife as your amma (mil of me )and en amma for my mother .what is that
Oho! appidiyA? unnaik kuppiyilE pOttu moodiyAchchu! . not able to understand.
guruvayurappan

RR madam,

I am cross with you. You can not paste the picture of mullu murukku and tempt me:drama:. I miss them. Btw, I think 'mullu murukku' is what we call in Telugu as 'maukupoolu' and 'seer murukku' is what we call as 'chakkilam'. 'muthusaram' is thengulal? No egg in any case.

I don't understand the meaning of your cousin's comment posted by you in post no.121.
dear hari sir !
you have correcly identified all types.
like you iam also not able to understand the comment of the cousin .they may have some past incidence corlating !!
guruvayurappan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back