• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Upanayanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
upanayanam thread has gone somewhere unattached. I wish we stick to it

I always wondered that some women hold on to their Thali's very tightly and even their husband expect them to be 24 hours with Thali on but when a Sumangali dies right before cremation the Thali is removed.

Why remove it? Let her go with it if it really meant so much.
May be at the time of death everyone looks at the Thali as a gold ornament and afraid that it will be stolen.

So finally material is material!

Last edited:
Dear Renu,

For the not-so-modern-women, thAli means something very special. You can not complain that it is removed from the dead body of a

sumangali. Till she is alive, she adores her thAli. Once she is dead, it becomes just a gold ornament on her body!! It is replaced by

the traditional yellow thread with manjal kizhangu tied to it. I hope it is clear now.

PS: I have seen many mAmis just tossing away their thAli chain on the tray, during the security check up at the airports.

Some of us just can NOT do it! :nono:

Last edited:
Dear Renu,

For the not-so-modern-women, thAli means something very special. You can not complain that it is removed from the dead body of a

sumangali. Till she is alive, she adores her thAli. Once she is dead, it becomes just a gold ornament on her body!! It is replaced by

the traditional yellow thread with manjal kizhangu tied to it. I hope it is clear now.

PS: I have seen many mAmis just tossing away their thAli chain on the tray, during the security check up at the airports.

Some of us just can NOT do it! :nono:

So you see finally it all boils down to material isn't it?
It is seen as Gold and hence replaced with a string and manjal.

Out here in M'sia almost 99.9999999999% of South Indian Hindu woman wear their Thali and Pottu.
For those of us who do not wear it are bombarded with questions non stop as why we don't wear it.

Once one person went on bugging me non stop why I don't wear Thali and Pottu till I got real pissed and told her "when you die are you going to take it?"

She just kept quiet.

>>Once one person went on bugging me non stop why I don't wear Thali and Pottu till I got real pissed and told her "when you die are you going to take it?"<<

No definitely not! But if you leave the gold thAli on the funeral pyre the cemetery attendants have to find it amid the ashes. Instead it is better to donate it to needy folks. Yes, material goods matter when we are alive. Most people struggle to get a few grams of gold for their thAli.

So you see finally it all boils down to material isn't it?
It is seen as Gold and hence replaced with a string and manjal.

Out here in M'sia almost 99.9999999999% of South Indian Hindu woman wear their Thali and Pottu.
For those of us who do not wear it are bombarded with questions non stop as why we don't wear it.

Once one person went on bugging me non stop why I don't wear Thali and Pottu till I got real pissed and told her "when you die are you going to take it?"

She just kept quiet.

"when you die are you going to take it?"....In my opinion... this reply might have been given out of anger... But if this is the opinion...why we aspire for so many things in life... ?? Thali is an identity for a married women which I need not explain... Pottu is basically to uplift the beauty of face and followed traditionally by hindus.. ... I find nowa days most of the young hindu girls discord this pottu as if they are 'special specimens'...It is a fashion for these people to ridicule these habits... and some of the married women also doing the same...

TVK

Dear Renu,

Wearing the thAli is the wish and belief of an individual. Till she lives, she likes to wear it! Thats it!

Each one has different likes and beliefs. No one can question them. That is my stand! :)

.........It is a fashion for these people to ridicule these habits... and some of the married women also doing the same...
It is mostly the Hindus who ridicule their customs and traditions. Brahmin men feel that it is a style to remove the poonal.

So also, the ladies think it a style to remove the pottu and thAli! If people from a particular religion go to the church every

Sunday to pray, we praise them. Those from another religion are praised when they pray several times in a day!

But it is very sad to note that many Hindus feel happy by NOT going to the temple. Many brahmins do not care to do the

sandhyAvandhanam everyday. :pout:

>> Many brahmins do not care to do the

sandhyAvandhanam everyday<<

NADaRindha pArppAnukku pUNUl edhaRku? In the old days the brahmins were living in a village and except for going to visit the cropland (if they were mirasdars) and the temple they had nothing else to do (of course, coffee, tiffin, mid-day lunch, afternoon coffee tiffin etc.,). So they had time to do sandhyAvandhanam, mAdhyAnnikam etc. Nowadays almost all brahmin men work in busy metropolises and foreign lands where it is not practical to do sandhyavandhanam either due to lack of time or proper place. People who work in New York travel 2 to 3 hours in metro every day. Many times they leave home at 5 AM and get back home at 11 PM. It may be true for people in Mumbai too.

It is mostly the Hindus who ridicule their customs and traditions. Brahmin men feel that it is a style to remove the poonal.

So also, the ladies think it a style to remove the pottu and thAli! If people from a particular religion go to the church every

Sunday to pray, we praise them. Those from another religion are praised when they pray several times in a day!

But it is very sad to note that many Hindus feel happy by NOT going to the temple. Many brahmins do not care to do the

sandhyAvandhanam everyday. :pout:

This is the beauty of our Hinduism...It never ridicule a person who doesn't go to temple regularly or someone who do not perform sandhiyavandhanam or one who do not keeps his poonul... Hinduism is not a religion..it is a way of life with freedom... But still hinduism survived in spite of on slot by muslims, christians and all other sundries including people like Ramasamy Naicker, veeramani, Karunanidhi... etc... A brahmin/hindu by birth is considered as brahmin/hindu in our hiduism till his death whether he follows the traditions or not...

TVK

>>A brahmin/hindu by birth is considered as brahmin/hindu in our hiduism till his death whether he follows the traditions or not...<<

I would qualify that by adding, "so long as he follows the righteous path, does not harm others, be kind and compassionate to other folks"
TiruvaLLuvar said it best,
அந்தணர் என்போர் அறவோர் மற்றெவ்வுயிர்க்கும்
செந்தண்மை பூண்டொழுகலான்

Lord Acton said "Power the stupid necessary mule must have neither the pride of ancestry nor the hope of posterity". Similarly we cannot claim brahminhood just by birth alone. You have to live a righteous life. Then you are a true brahmin.

When there is a will, there is a way. People find time to do things despite a heavy schedule from morn till night. Sandhya can be done in a 'manasik' way lasting a few minutes or in full for half an hour with karanyasa and anganyasa. Intent and faith will find ways.

Most of hectic professionals find time to go to gym for 50 minute sessions (of course, the high fees paid is one incentive). In the old days when transcendental meditation was the rage, i have seen many british executives (bbc programs) doing tm in the car or in a park without fail. In arab countries work is stopped to offer mid day prayers. In TCS, hyderabad, a set of faithful wanting to do prayers during working hours became a hot issue.

When faith and intent are strong, the perceived obstacles will fade away.

>> Many brahmins do not care to do the

sandhyAvandhanam everyday<<

NADaRindha pArppAnukku pUNUl edhaRku? In the old days the brahmins were living in a village and except for going to visit the cropland (if they were mirasdars) and the temple they had nothing else to do (of course, coffee, tiffin, mid-day lunch, afternoon coffee tiffin etc.,). So they had time to do sandhyAvandhanam, mAdhyAnnikam etc. Nowadays almost all brahmin men work in busy metropolises and foreign lands where it is not practical to do sandhyavandhanam either due to lack of time or proper place. People who work in New York travel 2 to 3 hours in metro every day. Many times they leave home at 5 AM and get back home at 11 PM. It may be true for people in Mumbai too.

>>When there is a will, there is a way...<<

Easier said than done. I have seen people in India doing sandhyavandanam listening to the conversation that other people conduct and this guy responds quickly to some issue and then resumes. Isn't that fake? It means you are not paying attention to what you are doing if you can respond to the issues that others tackle. The famous saying is while doing sandhyavandanam a brahmin was calling his son to chase away the calf (kannukkuTTi mATTai ooTTiNDirukku, OTTu, OTTu) which got loose from being tied to its peg and starts drinking milk from his mother. MAnasIka sandhyavandanam is as good as not doing if you are not following the ritual. If you say you don't need the panchapAtram and uddiriNi and water to do Acamanam and no need to wear your nAmam or vibUti, then you might as well exempt the person from doing that fake ritual. It is all in your mind, right? You just think about God and no need to be an AshADabUthi. Bharathi's athimbEr, an orthodox brahmin, admitted to Bharathi in KAshi that much.

The tight schedule may not make it possible to do the sandhyAvandhanam in the traditional way! But is it not possible to chant

the 'Gaythri' mandharam at least before leaving for work? Even that is not done! What Sri. TVK mentioned is right about Hinduism.
Yes!! Hindus are the 'free birds'. :peace:

This is similar to the whip wielded against brahmins - those who are not 100% immersed in sastrik six fold duties are not brahmins.
Perhaps we can grade them - uttama, madyama and adama depending on the degree of involvement and practice. Can't we not not allow the same latitude shown to others. Of course, they who want to get high marks or rise in position work hard; 'adrishta' benefits may be more for sincere adherents!

>>When there is a will, there is a way...<<

Easier said than done. I have seen people in India doing sandhyavandanam listening to the conversation that other people conduct and this guy responds quickly to some issue and then resumes. Isn't that fake? It means you are not paying attention to what you are doing if you can respond to the issues that others tackle. The famous saying is while doing sandhyavandanam a brahmin was calling his son to chase away the calf (kannukkuTTi mATTai ooTTiNDirukku, OTTu, OTTu) which got loose from being tied to its peg and starts drinking milk from his mother. MAnasIka sandhyavandanam is as good as not doing if you are not following the ritual. If you say you don't need the panchapAtram and uddiriNi and water to do Acamanam and no need to wear your nAmam or vibUti, then you might as well exempt the person from doing that fake ritual. It is all in your mind, right? You just think about God and no need to be an AshADabUthi. Bharathi's athimbEr, an orthodox brahmin, admitted to Bharathi in KAshi that much.

One of my relatives marriage, In Shanthi the mantras were chanted by Brahmacharis. The meaning is very very sexy!. I read the Tamil Translation in a library, which fully taught the couple about uniting! This was chanted by Brahmachari prohit. The Family prohit deputed them and the boys were offered Rs599 each at 10.30 P.M, along with sweets that was bought for the Shanthy muhurtham!

Now a days who is giving brides to prohits? this was the question asked by the family prohit when I questioned him.

We are modernsing ourselves. No one want a real Brahmin but a Brah-amin!

The non-purohit boys are just pining away. At least the brahmachari boys must be getting some kick and after recital some cash, too. I think the purohit is less informed of the plight of our brahmin boys.

One of my relatives marriage, In Shanthi the mantras were chanted by Brahmacharis. The meaning is very very sexy!. I read the Tamil Translation in a library, which fully taught the couple about uniting! This was chanted by Brahmachari prohit. The Family prohit deputed them and the boys were offered Rs599 each at 10.30 P.M, along with sweets that was bought for the Shanthy muhurtham!

Now a days who is giving brides to prohits? this was the question asked by the family prohit when I questioned him.

We are modernsing ourselves. No one want a real Brahmin but a Brah-amin!

I am surprised that they are still doing a formal shAnthi muhurtham with the rituals in front of a gathering. Imagine the looks on the faces of brahmachari boys who attend the function.
Well, a little education in Kama Sutra does not hurt. Did the brahmachari prohit boy explain the meaning too? Perhaps he did not know the meaning himself!

hi
we started with UPANAYANAM and ending with SHANTI MUHURTHAM.......NICE TO HEAR......brahmachari to grahastha.....
kick is every where.......we may go futher with pumsavanam/seemantham in the same thread tooo....lol

The busy man keeps his mind calm and so he is always idle(doing everything).
The idle man has a devils' workshop working round the clock inside his mind.
So he is always busy (doing nothing)! :)

Regarding time for doing Sandhya Vandanam let me say this: The Busy man is always idle and the Idle man is always busy.

Dear Siva Sir and Guru Sir,

I thought you will easily understand what my cousin sister told me!! It means,
"By calling me ammA with love, my would-be d.i.l kept me in a sealed bottle and I can never escape from her!!" :lock1:

PS: How can Siva Sir be cross with me? He sent me jilEbis and I sent him 'muLLu murukku'!!
:D
dear raji madam !
tell me whether you received jilebis or jangiri ? what say jilebi is sweetened thenkuzhal.jangiri will have cork screw type spiral
guruvayurappan

Jilebis are sour, pulippu, here in maharashtra. In the post wedding lunch, the bride and the groom serve a dozen on the plate and insist on consumption in their presence (some years ago)!

dear raji madam !
tell me whether you received jilebis or jangiri ? what say jilebi is sweetened thenkuzhal.jangiri will have cork screw type spiral
guruvayurappan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back