• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Upanayanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
The color of jilEbi is good, that is all. It is sour and very sticky if you hold in your hand. The syrup oozes out of it.

JAngri, on the other hand, holds the sugar in crystalline form and not as sticky as its north indian cousin. It takes special skills to make jAngri. I know how to do it. You need an embroidered handkerchief through which you squeeze (like you make hand muRukku to a nice circular rope design) the freshly ground dough (using urad dAl) into the oil (not very hot) to fry and take it out after it has cooked to a cream color but not brown and dip it in caramalized sugar. Color can be added to the syrup to one's liking.

Oil? What happened to shudh ghee?

The color of jilEbi is good, that is all. It is sour and very sticky if you hold in your hand. The syrup oozes out of it.

JAngri, on the other hand, holds the sugar in crystalline form and not as sticky as its north indian cousin. It takes special skills to make jAngri. I know how to do it. You need an embroidered handkerchief through which you squeeze (like you make hand muRukku to a nice circular rope design) the freshly ground dough (using urad dAl) into the oil (not very hot) to fry and take it out after it has cooked to a cream color but not brown and dip it in caramalized sugar. Color can be added to the syrup to one's liking.

Oil? What happened to shudh ghee?

In the interest of lowering cholesterol level in the diet ghee has been replaced with canola oil, which is my favorite. I still can't control eating jAngri one after another whether made in ghee or oil.

Last edited:
If the members prefer jaangiri to jelebi, then Telugu letters must be appearing as Jaangiri.:horn: In Kannada, they say, "Telugu theatta" which means Telugu is sweet.

Since the title of the thread was changed to English, the posts are coming very fast on jilebis and Jangiris. Mullumurukkau is taking rest for the time being. I request Sri Praveen to move this thread to cookery section

Since the title of the thread was changed to English, the posts are coming very fast on jilebis and Jangiris. Mullumurukkau is taking rest for the time being. I request Sri Praveen to move this thread to cookery section
உபநயனத்தில் நடந்த வேடிக்கைகளை எல்லாமே நீங்கள் சொல்லிவிட்டீர்களே!

நாங்கள் கொஞ்சம் 'சீர்' பற்றி எழுதுகிறோம்! அவ்வளவே! :)

'Telugu mAta thEta' என்று நானும் கேட்டுள்ளேன்!

நம்ம பாரதி கணக்கில், களி தெலுங்கு; கவின் மலையாளம்!!

களி என்றால் திருவாதிரைக் களி அல்ல! களி = ஆனந்தம், மகிழ்ச்சி.

இப்போது இந்த நூலில் சமையல் நுழைந்து விட்டதால், இந்த விளக்கம்!

Personally, I did not like the title being changed to English, especially when the OP was in Tamil. I like Tamil titles and Tamil posts. (I do understand that many members of Tamilbrahmins can not read/write Tamil). But on the other hand, I felt obliged to type in Tamil (and its sister Telugu!) when the title was in Tamil. Now I don't feel guilty typing in English.
:p

If the members prefer jaangiri to jelebi, then Telugu letters must be appearing as Jaangiri.:horn: In Kannada, they say, "Telugu theatta" which means Telugu is sweet.

Doesn't "thETTa" mean honey?
Kannada is kasthUri (fragrant)
Thamizh is amizhth(am), i.e., amirtA or ambrOsia. Keep saying thamizhthamizhthamizhthamizh......

தமிழுக்கும் அமுதென்று பேர் ---BharathidAsan(?)

Last edited:
Judging from the posts I can say all the members can enjoy eating those non-fast snacks and food. None has explained the intricacies in making them. So the thread cannot be shifted to cookery section. An exercise after eating juicy and gluey Jalebi, say this:வாழைப்பழம் அழுகி, நழுவி, கொழ-கொழ என்று கீழே விழுந்தது.

வாயப்பயம் அயுகி நயுவி கொயகொயன்னு கீயே வியுந்துது!

(லூஸ் மோகன் பேசுவது போலவே இல்லை???):rolleyes:

இனி கொஞ்ச நாளைக்கு யாருமே :hand:

வாயப்பயத்தை தொடமாட்டார்கள்! :bolt:

How about a variation of the above:
பளுத்த வாளப் பளம் அளுகி நளுவி கீளே விளுந்து கொள கொளன்னு என்ன முளிச்சுப் பாக்கறுது

images

"என்ன முளிச்சுப் பாக்கறுது " ...correct.

"பளுத்த வாளப் பளம் அளுகி நளுவி

கீளே விளுந்து கொள கொளன்னு " :nono:

Hilarious! The banana has taken some beatings but it is good food (low in sodium but high in potassium--both good for the

heart) when it is ripe with a golden yellow color.

VAzhaippoo paruppusili anyone?

(லூஸ் மோகன் பேசுவது போலவே இல்லை???):rolleyes:

இனி கொஞ்ச நாளைக்கு யாருமே :hand:

வாயப்பயத்தை தொடமாட்டார்கள்! :bolt:
நாங்க சொல்ற மாதிரியும் சொல்லலாம். நீங்க சொல்றமாதிரியும் சொல்லலாம். செந்தில் சொல்றமாதிரியும் சொல்லலாம். தோலில் சறிக்கி விழும்போது எல்லோரும் ஒரேமதிரியாதான் விழுவாங்க.

நாங்க சொல்ற மாதிரியும் சொல்லலாம். நீங்க சொல்றமாதிரியும் சொல்லலாம். செந்தில் சொல்றமாதிரியும் சொல்லலாம். தோலில் சறிக்கி விழும்போது எல்லோரும் ஒரேமதிரியாதான் விழுவாங்க.

A parallel saying is:
பூன்னும் சொல்லலாம் புய்பம்னும் சொல்லலாம் இல்லேன்னா அய்யா சொல்ற மாதிரியும் (புஷ்பம்) சொல்லலாம்
எல்லாம் ஒண்ணு தான்

சாப்பாடு
நினைவு நண்பர்களுக்கு எழுவதால், இதோ 'கல்யாண சமையல் சாதம்'!!

அந்தக் கால வரைகலையை, கருப்பு வெள்ளையில் ரசியுங்கள்! (வரைகலை
= Graphics)

Kalyana samaiyal sadam - YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back