• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Upanayanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also even if we pay lip service to the varNAshrama dharmam, we should adhere to the gender dharmam too. For example women do certain traditional work and men do likewise. In my house, I mow the lawn, take out the garbage, paint the house, tend to the small garden etc., in return for my wife's cooking, and cleaning inside the house. Sometimes I do the laundry myself (not a big deal!). But I don't expect my wife to cut the grass. So what is wrong if the ladies have to serve the food. Besides there is grace when they serve it versus the kaTTai daDiyan (with a mustache) pours the rasam on your lap asking "sAkkA bEkkA?" (enough or do you want more on your lap?)!!!!!!!

when four of my mother's friend maamis had come to make the 'murukku', 'muththusaram' and three sweets

'ముత్తుసరం' అంటే చక్కిలమా? మీరు Vizag -లో ఉండినారు కాథా, అన్తినించే తెలుగులో రాసినాను.

Last edited:
'ముత్తుసరం' అంటే చక్కిలమా? మీరు Vizag -లో ఉండినారు కాథా, అన్తినించే తెలుగులో రాసినాను.
Oops!! I can't read this 'jilEbi' script!

Translation please, Siva Sir!! OR at least in Teluglish. :typing:

Well. I wanted to know whether 'muthusaram' you have mentioned in your post is what is known in Telugu as 'chakkilam'. I chose to write in Telugu since you have lived in Vizag. Sorry to have driven you crazy. Anyway, by writing in "jelebi script", I have also given some sweets??!!

Greetings.

I am sharing an interesting conversation.

This morning I and my wife thought of making fun of our daughter-in-law. My wife was frying mushrooms for her breakfast. I asked our DIL 'Cow girl! do you want some mushrooms?' she went 'oh!?'.. I said 'I called you Cow girl!, meaning மாட்டுப்பெண்ணே!'.....

Later on, DIL was washing the dishes asked me ' can you tell me why DIL is called 'மாட்டுப்பெண்'? is it because she is expected to work as a cattle? I was laughing when I heard that!

Then I explained her she is our மாற்றுப்பெண். Our son becomes her parnts மறுமகன் or a son come from a different family; DIL becomes a daughter in exchange மாற்றுப்பெண். மாற்றுப்பெண் after sometime became மாட்டுப்பெண்!

Cheers!

...... Then I explained her she is our மாற்றுப்பெண். Our son becomes her parnts மறுமகன் or a son come from a different family.........
என்னமோ Raghy சார்! முந்தின தலைமுறையில் பல பெண்கள் மாடகத்தான் உழைத்தார்கள்! நிஜமான மாட்டுப் பெண்கள்!

அது சரி. மறுபடியும் மகன் ஆகிவிடுபவன், ஏன் 'மறுமகன்' இல்லாமல் 'மருமகன்'??

Well. I wanted to know whether 'muthusaram' you have mentioned in your post is what is known in Telugu as 'chakkilam'. I chose to write in Telugu since you have lived in Vizag. Sorry to have driven you crazy. Anyway, by writing in "jelebi script", I have also given some sweets??!!
Thanks for the sweets! I know only spoken Telugu, which I learnt during my six years stay at Vizag.

This is the info. I got about Chakkilam, by google search.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Part - A
Rice flour, sifted - 240g; chick pea flour - 60g; cumin, crushed - 1 tsp

chili powder - 1 1/2 tsp; sesame seeds - 1 tbsp optional

Part - B
coconut milk from - 1/2 coconut; salt; Egg - 1, beaten; oil - for deep frying

Method:

Put the ingredients in Part-A in a big mixing bowl and mix well.

Heat coconut milk to just boiling, stirring all the time.

Pour into mixture and stir with a wooden spoon quickly to pre-cook the mixture.

Allow it to cool.

Add beaten egg slowly and knead into a soft dough.

Heat oil. Put dough into a muruku mould and press it through onto

a greased frying ladle to form a circular lace pattern.

Dip into hot oil to release the muruku.

Deep fry until golden brown, dish up and drain.

Leave to cool before storing in an airtight container.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My doubt:

How do you expected the 'seer murukku' to be made with egg as an ingredient?

May be you make it 'egg-less'??

In Tamil we call 'muththusaram' as 'muLLu murukku'.

'Muththusaram' is probably the name used by our ancestors . ( Kerala)

'Seer muLLu murukku' used to be about 10" in diameter, in 60s!!

Nov+and+Dec+2010+035.JPG

Photo courtesy: Google images.

’மறுமகன்’ ’மருமகன்’ ஆனது எப்படியோ, தமிழில் ’மருகன்’ என்ற சொல் மகளின் கணவனைக் குறிக்கிறது. முருகனை ’மால்மருகன்’ என்கிறோம். மணமகனுக்குப் பெண்வீட்டாரிடும் முதல் விருந்து ’மரு’ எனப்படும். திருமணம் முடிந்ததும் மணமக்களைப் பெண்வீட்டுக்கு அழைத்துச்செல்வது ’மறுபிறந்தகம்’ என்றும் ’மருவீடு’ என்றும் குறிக்கப்படுகிரது.
(ஆதாரம்: Tamil lexicon)

ஒருவேளை ’மருவு’ என்ற சொல் ’தழுவுதல்’ என்று பொருள்படுவதால், மணமகன் ’மருமகன்’ ஆனானோ?

Last edited:
Post # 85

I wanted to delete it, because another search shows that 'chakkilam' is 'kai murukku'.

Anyway I did NOT, because some of the eggetarians might try out that recipe! :hungry:
PS: Hope I will not be blamed for deviating the thread. OK, now
:focus:

Greetings.

I am sharing an interesting conversation.

This morning I and my wife thought of making fun of our daughter-in-law. My wife was frying mushrooms for her breakfast. I asked our DIL 'Cow girl! do you want some mushrooms?' she went 'oh!?'.. I said 'I called you Cow girl!, meaning மாட்டுப்பெண்ணே!'.....

Later on, DIL was washing the dishes asked me ' can you tell me why DIL is called 'மாட்டுப்பெண்'? is it because she is expected to work as a cattle? I was laughing when I heard that!

Then I explained her she is our மாற்றுப்பெண். Our son becomes her parnts மறுமகன் or a son come from a different family; DIL becomes a daughter in exchange மாற்றுப்பெண். மாற்றுப்பெண் after sometime became மாட்டுப்பெண்!

Cheers!
dear raghy sir !
we can say like this also .In tamil madu means selvam.so who ever brings prosperity to the family ,she is called mattu penn.later since is asked to bring seer (dowry ) to make them rich. can you say why DIL is called nattu penn ?
guruvayurappan

’மறுமகன்’ ’மருமகன்’ ஆனது எப்படியோ, தமிழில் ’மருகன்’ என்ற சொல் மகளின் கணவனைக் குறிக்கிறது. முருகனை ’மால்மருகன்’ என்கிறோம். மணமகனுக்குப் பெண்வீட்டாரிடும் முதல் விருந்து ’மரு’ எனப்படும். திருமணம் முடிந்ததும் மணமக்களைப் பெண்வீட்டுக்கு அழைத்துச்செல்வது ’மறுபிறந்தகம்’ என்றும் ’மருவீடு’ என்றும் குறிக்கப்படுகிரது.

ஒருவேளை ’மருவு’ என்ற சொல் ’தழுவுதல்’ என்று பொருள்படுவதால், மணமகன் ’மருமகன்’ ஆனானோ?
மிக்க நன்றி!

ஆணின் சகோதரி மகன், 'மருமகன்' ஆகின்றான். பெண்ணின் சகோதரன் மகனும் 'மருமகனே'!

அதனால்தான் 'முறைப் பையன்' என்கின்றாரோ? இதுபோலவே, மருமகளும், முறைப் பெண்ணும்!

dear raghy sir !........can you say why DIL is called nattu penn? ..........
பிறந்த மற்றும் புகுந்த வீட்டுப் பெருமைகளை நிலை நாட்டுபவளே 'நாட்டுப் பெண்'! :angel:

இந்த விளக்கம் எப்படி இருக்கு? :blabla:

விளக்கம் அருமை, ஆயினும் அகராதி சொல்வது இது:
நாட்டுப்பெண் = மணாட்டுப்பெண், மகன் மனைவி; மணாட்டு = மணமகளாகு நிலை.

Thanks for the sweets! I know only spoken Telugu, which I learnt during my six years stay at Vizag.

This is the info. I got about Chakkilam, by google search.
Part - A
Rice flour, sifted - 240g; chick pea flour - 60g; cumin, crushed - 1 tsp

chili powder - 1 1/2 tsp; sesame seeds - 1 tbsp optional

Part - B
coconut milk from - 1/2 coconut; salt; Egg - 1, beaten; oil - for deep frying

Method:

Put the ingredients in Part-A in a big mixing bowl and mix well.

Heat coconut milk to just boiling, stirring all the time.

Pour into mixture and stir with a wooden spoon quickly to pre-cook the mixture.

Allow it to cool.

Add beaten egg slowly and knead into a soft dough.

Heat oil. Put dough into a muruku mould and press it through onto

a greased frying ladle to form a circular lace pattern.

Dip into hot oil to release the muruku.

Deep fry until golden brown, dish up and drain.

Leave to cool before storing in an airtight container.
My doubt:

How do you expected the 'seer murukku' to be made with egg as an ingredient?

May be you make it 'egg-less'??

In Tamil we call 'muththusaram' as 'muLLu murukku'.

'Muththusaram' is probably the name used by our ancestors . ( Kerala)

in kannadam also it is called chakkili.
guruvayurappan

Seer muLLu murukku' used to be about 10" in diameter, in 60s!!
enum oru murukku tinka asaiya eruk ma!therethava kalyanam ponalthan ketaikuthu !!
cookre ellam pitcha vanganum amam !!
guruvayurappan

விளக்கம் அருமை, ஆயினும் அகராதி சொல்வது இது:
நாட்டுப்பெண் = மணாட்டுப்பெண், மகன் மனைவி; மணாட்டு = மணமகளாகு நிலை.
நன்றி!

'மணவாட்டி' என்பது மணமகளையும், மனைவியையும் குறிக்கும்
சொல்! :)

அது போலவே, மணவாளன் என்பது மணமகனை மட்டும் குறித்தாலும், மணவாளி என்பது இருவரையும் குறிப்பது வியப்பு!

நன்றி!

'மணவாட்டி' என்பது மணமகளையும், மனைவியையும் குறிக்கும்
சொல்! :)

post 95
yes . in one film MGR was singing
neeyethan in manvatti 1 ennai aativaikkum seemati !
the heroine will call hero
neeye than enthan manavalan 1 enthan koman !
guruvayurappan

>>In Tamil we call 'muththusaram' as 'muLLu murukku'<<

In ThanjAvUr district we call it "muLLuth thEnkuzhal" to distinguish it from regular "thEnkuzhal" which doesn't have the spikes around it.
We reserve the term "muRukku" only for the item done by hand such as seer muRukku. That name came about because it is twisted like a rope. Also the composition for it (rice flour and uLundu mAvu) is different from muLLut tEnkuzhal (rice flour and chick pea flour). When I was little I used to do the kaimuRukku learning it from my grandmother.

Actually it is "manaiyATTi" (woman who rules the home, i.e., manai = veedu) and "manaiyALan" meaning manai ALbavan (one who rules the home). So in those days it was a joint command. Only now tAykkulam appropriated the total command!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back