• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

To the younger generation on this forum: Do you prefer following the Neo-Vedanta version of Hinduism versus the orthodox version?

Customs pertaining to hygiene is fine but at the same time one should not identify too much with the body as if its so unstable that it would be become defiled.

Just take a throat swab and watch how much bacteria there is in a normal human itself..none of us are bacteria free.
In fact live wont be possible if we are totally 100% bacteria free.

In fact one of the reasons why the slum areas of India had less Covid 19 death is because they were having a stronger immune system being exposed to all sorts of pathogens since birth.

Try being tooooo clean..that would totally make our immune system go into an overdrive which can lead to fatal allergic reactions.

Life is about striking a balance.

One who is too clean is no different from one who is too dirty..both have disorders.

Coming to being so afraid to be "spiritualy" defiled..we have to realize that the body is just a garment..if it gets dirty, wash it! thats all.
The atma doesnt get defiled no matter even if we fall into a sewer.
if we feel we can get defiled so easily that shows we never understood hindu philosophy.

'Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must
keep moving. 'was Albert Einstein's life advice in a letter to his
son Eduard on 5thFeb.1930
My most joyous moment as a youngster was when I learnt
that I can ride the bicycle by myself with out any body 's support ,which was so far given to me.
But it takes a while and plenty of enthusiasm and efforts
to get the balance out there ,including life.

If you consider people <45-50 as youngsters, then I am.. . Otherwise not. 🙂

I do value the anushtaanam and acharam, be it rituals, formalities, or habits. The value for some are clear and some are not. If we have done our due diligence in speaking with elders and learned and not found a satisfactory answer, it might be fine to not follow it. However, I feel a lot of people give it up because there is no one to say the answer convincingly.

I think the neo-Vedanta is nothing new but appears as new because most people do not know what is already there. As such, I think we can follow whatever path we want so long as we do not neglect the basics, the achara and anushtaana vidhigal.

hi doctor,

n fact one of the reasons why the slum areas of India had less Covid 19 death is because they were having a stronger immune system being exposed to all sorts of pathogens since birth.

Try being tooooo clean..that would totally make our immune system go into an overdrive which can lead to fatal allergic reactions.

Life is about striking a balance.

One who is too clean is no different from one who is too dirty..both have disorders.

i agreed.....more clean western countries have more covid 19 deaths....i think ...you got more

spare time in covid 19 period....may be working from home....

If you consider people <45-50 as youngsters, then I am.. . Otherwise not. 🙂

I do value the anushtaanam and acharam, be it rituals, formalities, or habits. The value for some are clear and some are not. If we have done our due diligence in speaking with elders and learned and not found a satisfactory answer, it might be fine to not follow it. However, I feel a lot of people give it up because there is no one to say the answer convincingly.

I think the neo-Vedanta is nothing new but appears as new because most people do not know what is already there. As such, I think we can follow whatever path we want so long as we do not neglect the basics, the achara and anushtaana vidhigal.
What are the achara and anushtana vidhigal, as you define it?

I KNOW MANY OF MY RELATIVE GUYS WHO ARE INTO IT SECTOR AND MOVED TO FOREIGN COUNTRIES AND HAVE FORGOTTEN OUR CULTURE DUE TO EITHER THE LIFE STYLE THERE OR BECAUSE OF SHYNESS AS KEEPING VIBUTHI ON FOREHEAD AND GOING TO OFFICE IS FELT STRANGE BY SOME OF THEM. HOW TO CORRECT THEM IS REALLY A QUESTION MARK
I moved to USA in 1972. I was shy about wearing Vibuthi in public. I used to wear at home and till I went to college and then lightly erase it. After a few years nd learning about lent and ash Wednesday from my catholic friends, I started wearing Vibuthi in public. If anybody asked, my explanation was it is sacred ash, sign of my God and I wear it after shower everyday and for my prayers. Occasionally I would drop something about lent and ash Wednesday.
Incidentally I used the same temporarily giving up meat or some other desired food lent analogy to explain permanently giving up pineapple in Kashi

I am in my 30s. I must be an anomaly here.

I was just wondering if any of you identify stronger with Neo-Vedanta over the Mathas.
What is the point of repeating your question? We had all these discussions on this topic. Did you read them and did you understand them?

If you did not get your answer the first time. why do you think you are going to get a different result this time around?

What is the point of repeating your question? We had all these discussions on this topic. Did you read them and did you understand them?

If you did not get your answer the first time. why do you think you are going to get a different result this time around?

I was simply answering another person's question about "youngster" and re-iterated why I made this post. I have read through the responses.

Also, why the hostility? I think you and I actually may have a very similar mental wavelength in the context of this forum, so there is no need to create any bad blood.

I was simply answering another person's question about "youngster" and re-iterated why I made this post. I have read through the responses.

Also, why the hostility? I think you and I actually may have a very similar mental wavelength in the context of this forum, so there is no need to create any bad blood.
There is no hostility, it is an inquiry.
I posted my answers honestly.

The story is a conversation between Nachiketa (a teenage boy) and Yama (Lord of death) from ''KATHOPANISHAD'' (5th Century BC).

Natciketa asked Yama a tough question, and Yama answered it calmly. He did not interpret it as hostility.

Myself NRI and will be 30 soon. Neo-vedanta and orthodoxy are not mutually exclusive. Everyone knows about neovedanta, so I'm gonna defend orthodoxy.

My father died before I turned 20. I was desperate for sense of belonging. Orthodoxy helps here. Most people in 20s haven't had such experiences and seem to abhor rituals. Nityakarma like Sandhyavandhana is a package that consists of meditation, basic vedic chants, shlokas, and abivadaye, which all can only benefit the individual. Over period of time, these rituals also foster interest in surrounding areas like Vedaparayanam. All these will help an individual connect with the past in a good way and draw him to the Dharmic path. Dr. Phillip Zimbardo has been saying, it is important to be past-positive. Therefore it is important for majority people to keep alive rituals like Sandhyavandanam (Nityakarma). Also, misinterpretation of ancient traditions can happen only when they are not kept alive. So, it is important to keep alive traditions, at least the good things (which is majority). More important is for people to understand the benefits, let it sink in deeply, and also tell others. I don't intend to proselytize, however I will propgate.

Someone mentioned that "vizhupu", and "pathu" becoming OCD. Again, these habits are good as long as we don't let them consume us. It is like checking the blind spot before switching lane. We tend to do it subconsciously even when the expressway is empty. If someone is blocking my view, sure it will annoy me, but I am going to stay in lane for few more seconds and then switch. It makes no sense to loose the habit though.

br,
Kaushik

@prveeraraghavan Hi Sir, I'm in my late 20s. For me, I identify more with the concept of Dharma shastras and rituals. Many reasons are:-

1. Upbringing. My grandfather and ancestors were priests. They've passed down some rituals, these have become a part of the family line.

2. Gives a structure to my life. At some point, some rituals like sandhyavandanam and agnihotram have made me more disciplined and structured in approach. Like it or not, whenever I feel depressed or lazy, just this single to do item in my list has made me get off the couch and perform.

3. Mantras. I'm more into learning the mantras and sort of enjoy the astika traditions. I am not a person who would advocate for renunciation of worldly pleasures to attain the super consciousness. Dharma-->Artha-->Kama--> Moksha is the route I prefer.

4. Identity. This is one important factor. It gives a purpose. When I commit to a ritual, say Samidadhanam, I try to do all the necessary activities, like cleaning the house, setting things up. By the time homam is done, almost everyone is awake at home because of me and the smoke. Just because of me being like this, many in the family have stopped being lazy and super active. They can't be sleeping beyond 7 in the morning. Thus, a ritual, gave an identity and purpose. This has benefited largely when I walk into a group of people who would generally be hostile to me, say a group of communists or others. The structure certain rituals provide to life are super strong that, others(people who've ridiculed me for being a brahmin) have themselves appreciated me for sticking to my guns without giving into their qualms.

These are some of the reasons why I'm largely a patron of the rituals. I could change in the future, but for now, I find this much more easier and definite.

Rituals are good. i like this approach and appreciate you also are able to know its benefits in molding your character.
But other activities like visiting temples, daily puja and some
helpful social activities around your neighbor hood depending on what they need can help take you farther in terms of self satisfaction and goal fulfillment.
My best wishes to this youngster.

Back to tradition is a better thing because genetically we are inclined towards one style. Slowly only we are evolving. Anything to get imbibed it needs time, environment and a change in the mind set. It is better to be inside the fence and see the outside world than standing up on the edge of a wall without knowing when will you fall down the other side or will be saved by standing in the middle. I hope every one understand. It is just like our culture is sitting just like a cat on the wall not knowing which side to jump. It is always safe to jump where the damage to our culture is less. In order to preserve our culture, first we have to observe some of the best things, educate our younger more on the rational side explaining some of the things at least rather than just asking them to follow ritually. Even if followed ritually also some of them will give benefits but our inquisitive nature will not allow us to remain peaceful and make us to tread our path and then realize it is always better to follow the proven path rather than going in a way where we are not familiar and no one to accompany us even if we fall down and no one to take responsibility to uplift us.When we lived in a village, it is a safe surrounding. Slowly we moved into town and cities. Still we by nature, we try to live the way we have been brought up till the age of 12 even if we reach the age of 50. Whatever we learnt in the middle ages, we tend to find what is wrong in that way of living and again do our way the ancestors lived.

It is better to live the traditional way rather than experimenting and finding out every thing we tried new failed and in the end we want only peace of mind. Therefore it is better to live in the back to tradition mold rather than doing something which is alien to our culture.

On the contrary, I say break all molds. The molds are straight Jackets somebody else put on us. If you do not beak the shackles you will never be free,

Playing it safe is playing the game not to lose. You need to play the game with an attitude of winning.
I am not saying that you have to be a rebel at everything. But unless you have seen the outer edges how would you know your potential.

WE never tried to climb Everest, then one person tried it, and then many more followed.
Similarly, Adi Sankaracharya reformed Hinduism by breaking away from tradition.
In the financial world, a CD is a sedate, and safe bet, but you accept a lower return and you will never be rich (or stay poor). On the other hand, if you venture out and create a new product, or invest in financial products like Stocks, etc, you can live comfortably.

जिन ढूँढा तिन पाइयाँ, गहिरे पानी पैठ जो बौरा डूबन डरा, रहा किनारे बैठ कबीर #Kabir Dive deep to find what you want Don't be afraid of failure

On the contrary, I say break all molds. The molds are straight Jackets somebody else put on us. If you do not beak the shackles you will never be free,

Playing it safe is playing the game not to lose. You need to play the game with an attitude of winning.
I am not saying that you have to be a rebel at everything. But unless you have seen the outer edges how would you know your potential.

WE never tried to climb Everest, then one person tried it, and then many more followed.
Similarly, Adi Sankaracharya reformed Hinduism by breaking away from tradition.
In the financial world, a CD is a sedate, and safe bet, but you accept a lower return and you will never be rich (or stay poor). On the other hand, if you venture out and create a new product, or invest in financial products like Stocks, etc, you can live comfortably.

जिन ढूँढा तिन पाइयाँ, गहिरे पानी पैठ जो बौरा डूबन डरा, रहा किनारे बैठ कबीर #Kabir Dive deep to find what you want Don't be afraid of failure
I don't think Adi Sankara broke tradition. While he did introduce us to Advaita, he will still a very strong ritualist. Otherwise, his parampara would be a lot more like Chinmayananda rather than having very traditional views about the Shastras.

I don't think Adi Sankara broke tradition. While he did introduce us to Advaita, he will still a very strong ritualist. Otherwise, his parampara would be a lot more like Chinmayananda rather than having very traditional views about the Shastras.

hi

i agreed...he did advaita philosophy....but in his early years....he was more ritualist.....he established

as NIRGUNA BRAHMAN.....BUT IN REAL....HE WAS MORE SAGUNA BRAHMAN...he composed many

slokams based all SIX systems of worship deities....he was more sakta and devi upasaka....even his

matams follows basically devi based systems....kanchi kamakshi or sringeri sharadamba....

This sight is all too common.

And people, these days, going straight to restaurants after a haircut. If you stay in Chennai, you know that in
most restaurants, in addition to the ceiling fans, they have huge/ powerful pedestal fans going at full blast. Any 'clean up dusting' done in the saloon after a haircut is only superficial. Do they consider the high probability of loose hairs from their bodies and clothes mixing with the food items of other diners?
Sadly, for many people (these days) all traditional beliefs/ practices (including hygienic practices) are irrational and they are ready to 'throw the baby out with the bathwater'.

While, not everything 'old is gold' some traditional practices are good even today and possibly will be good even tomorrow!
Our our traditional ways and customs is always good and more scientific. It is not. Our custom to cut the cake on birthday. Unfortunate part is the elder s have no knowledge and how can they pass on to new generation

Aadi Shankara was trying to project the right perspective of our Santana dharma ,and hence gave due importance to
rituals,saguna,nirguna concepts.
and also the essence of advaitha philosophy. He however condemned only ritualism and people who tried to take advantage of society on this count.
Kanchi periyava also was not a ritualist ,but a staunch believer
of traditions ,,social aspects of religion ,His book on Deivathin
Kural is treatise on Hinduism and Hindu Philosophy based on the broad guidelines of AdhiSankara.

Adi Shankaracharya was an Indian philosopher and theologian who consolidated the doctrine of Advaita Vedanta. He is credited with unifying and establishing the main currents of thought in Hinduism.

His works in Sanskrit discuss the unity of the Ātman and Nirguna Brahman "brahman without attributes". He wrote copious commentaries on the Vedic canon (Brahma Sutras, Principal Upanishads and Bhagavad Gita) in support of his thesis. His works elaborate on ideas found in the Upanishads. Shankara's publications criticised the ritually-oriented Mīmāṃsā school of Hinduism. He also explained the key difference between Hinduism and Buddhism, stating that Hinduism asserts "Ātman (Soul, Self) exists", while Buddhism asserts that there is "no Soul, no Self".

Shankara travelled across the Indian subcontinent to propagate his philosophy through discourses and debates with other thinkers. He established the importance of monastic life as sanctioned in the Upanishads and Brahma Sutra, in a time when the Mīmāṃsā school established strict ritualism and ridiculed monasticism.

Aadi Shankara was trying to project the right perspective of our Santana dharma ,and hence gave due importance to
rituals,saguna,nirguna concepts.
and also the essence of advaitha philosophy. He however condemned only ritualism and people who tried to take advantage of society on this count.
Kanchi periyava also was not a ritualist ,but a staunch believer
of traditions ,,social aspects of religion ,His book on Deivathin
Kural is treatise on Hinduism and Hindu Philosophy based on the broad guidelines of AdhiSankara.
Everything I've read in Deivathin Kural is basically criticizing Brahmins who don't do Vedic rituals. If that was all based on Adi Sankara's guidelines, then it is proof Adi Sankara was a staunch ritualist, despite his promotion of Advaita philosophy.

I think Adi Sankara's ideology is that the only way to acheive the truths of Advaita is by following rituals first.

Adi Shankaracharya, the great Philosopher was born in 788 CE, Kaladi, Present in Kerala. He died in 820 CE at the early age of 32 only in Kedarnath, Pala Empire, Present in Uttarakhand. Shankaracharya was a noted Philosopher and theologizer from India. He reformed the rituals and doctrines in Hinduism, which were followed blindly by Hindus in those days. The Famous Philosopher Adi Shankara profoundly believes in the concept of Vedas”. He advocated against the rituals and religious practices.

Adi Sankara traveled far and wide in search of a worthy guru, who can remove the bigotries and make him the learner of Spiritual Knowledge. Finally, he reached the bank of the Narmada river and reached the Asrama of Govinda Bhagavatpada, the renowned guru and the disciple of Gaudapada, who wrote the Mandukyakarikas. Govinda accepts Adi Sankara as his disciple. With the guidance and teachings of Govinda Bhagavatpada, Jagadguru Adi Shankaracharya attained spiritual knowledge, and also gained the concepts of Jana, Raja, and “Hatha Yoga. And then he received the knowledge of Brahma Sutras. After the permission of his Guru, Adiguru Shankara Charya left the Ashram and traveled all over India to spreads the Brahma Sutras.

Latest ads

Back