• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Occasional Piece of Interesting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dear Naina Sir,

This dodge ball game is thrilling indeed! We used to play during our school days, in Ananimalai village, a similar game

known as 'masap pandhu' (மசப் பந்து)! We make two groups and have a tennis ball (!) to hit the persons in the other team!

The one who get hit is OUT! The team which makes all the members of the other team 'out' is the winner! :cool:

So you don't eat foie gras[SUP]*[/SUP], shark-fin soup, beef or pork or meat of any kind but make an exception with eggs, right?

The innocent eggs may often come from hens which live in cages so small they can't even spread their wings. The eggs from these hens, claustrophobic and living in their own waste, are up to 21 times more likely to harbor salmonella, according to a recent study from Belgium. Not only that, poultry feed can have all kinds of bad stuff in it, from antidepressants to arsenic to antibiotics.

[SUP]*[/SUP]Foie gras is a food product made of the liver of a duck or goose that has been specially fattened. Foie gras is a popular and well-known delicacy in French cuisine. By French law, foie gras is defined as the liver of a duck fattened by force-feeding corn.

Last edited:
chickens-in-cages.jpg

This photo is very disturbing but the following link gives a ray of hope for hens!!

California, A Cage-Free State For Hens

Two real classics

Look up “Margaret Isabel Dunning" in wikipedia. And here

Margaret is 102 years old ( born in 1910). When she is behind the wheel of her 1930 Packard 740 Roadster, she draws more attention than her vehicle.

She lives in Plymouth, Michigan, has been driving since she was 8 years old, and officially received her license at 12.

She declares: "I'm just a farm girl, and my dad had a lot of machinery, and I adored my dad. I became familiar with the tools, because the minute I said I didn't know what I was looking for, he'd say, 'Go back to the house.'"

She owns several classic vehicles. In addition to the Packard, she has a '66 Cadillac DeVille,a '75 CadillacEldorado convertible and a 1931 Model A in her collection. Occasionally, she still changes her own oil.

Real Classic.JPG

Last edited:
Nice one on the IMPORTANCE OF FRIENDSHIP... need of the hour everywhere....

A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead. He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them. After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight. When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.
When he was close enough, he called out, 'Excuse me, where are we?
'
'This is Heaven, sir,' the man answered.
'Wow! Would you happen to have some water?' the man asked.
'Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up.'
The man gestured, and the gate began to open. 'Can my friend,' gesturing toward his dog, 'come in, too?' the traveller asked. 'I'm sorry sir, but we don't accept pets.'
The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog. After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed.
There was no fence.
As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book. 'Excuse me!' he called to the man. 'Do you have any water?
'
'Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in.
' 'How about my friend here?' the traveler gestured to the dog.
'There should be a bowl by the pump.'
They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it. The traveler filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself then he gave some to the dog.
When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree.
'What do you call this place?' the traveler asked.
'This is Heaven,' he answered.
'Well, that's confusing,' the traveler said.
'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.
'
'Oh, you mean the place with the Gold Street and pearly gates? Nope. That's hell.
'
'Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?
'
'No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends!!!!

Last edited:

A man and his dog were walking along a road. The man was enjoying the scenery, when it suddenly occurred to him that he was dead. He remembered dying, and that the dog walking beside him had been dead for years. He wondered where the road was leading them. After a while, they came to a high, white stone wall along one side of the road. It looked like fine marble. At the top of a long hill, it was broken by a tall arch that glowed in the sunlight. When he was standing before it he saw a magnificent gate in the arch that looked like mother-of-pearl, and the street that led to the gate looked like pure gold. He and the dog walked toward the gate, and as he got closer, he saw a man at a desk to one side.
When he was close enough, he called out, 'Excuse me, where are we?
'
'This is Heaven, sir,' the man answered.
'Wow! Would you happen to have some water?' the man asked.
'Of course, sir. Come right in, and I'll have some ice water brought right up.'
The man gestured, and the gate began to open. 'Can my friend,' gesturing toward his dog, 'come in, too?' the traveller asked. 'I'm sorry sir, but we don't accept pets.'
The man thought a moment and then turned back toward the road and continued the way he had been going with his dog. After another long walk, and at the top of another long hill, he came to a dirt road leading through a farm gate that looked as if it had never been closed.
There was no fence.
As he approached the gate, he saw a man inside, leaning against a tree and reading a book. 'Excuse me!' he called to the man. 'Do you have any water?
'
'Yeah, sure, there's a pump over there, come on in.
' 'How about my friend here?' the traveler gestured to the dog.
'There should be a bowl by the pump.'
They went through the gate, and sure enough, there was an old-fashioned hand pump with a bowl beside it. The traveler filled the water bowl and took a long drink himself then he gave some to the dog.
When they were full, he and the dog walked back toward the man who was standing by the tree.
'What do you call this place?' the traveler asked.
'This is Heaven,' he answered.
'Well, that's confusing,' the traveler said.
'The man down the road said that was Heaven, too.
'
'Oh, you mean the place with the Gold Street and pearly gates? Nope. That's hell.
'
'Doesn't it make you mad for them to use your name like that?
'
'No, we're just happy that they screen out the folks who would leave their best friends!!!!

Reminds me of Yudhisthira and the dog story.

Purpose of Life or Life of Purpose?

British philosopher Alan Watts (1915-1973) popularized Eastern philosophy in the West. He said: “If you say that money is the most important thing, you’ll spend your life completely wasting your time: You’ll be doing things you don’t like doing in order to go on living, that is, in order to go on doing things you don’t like doing !

In this video(3min), on how to find your purpose in life and do what you love to do, Watts asks students the seemingly simple question of what they would do if money were no object:

Purpose

Last edited:

A man and his dog were walking along a road.
See Wikipedia for the source of this story. The Hunt (The Twilight Zone)
And here

“The Hunt" is an episode of the American television anthology series “The Twilight Zone”, which aired on 26 Jan. 1962

According to Wikipdia :

The story resembles a tale in the Mahabharata known as Yudhisthira's final test. Yudhisthira refuses to go into heaven unless he can take his dog. Thus proving his loyalty, he passes the second of three tests for entering heaven and the dog transforms into Dharmaraja, his father, who is the Lord of Death and Justice.

This episode also contains a subtle Biblical reference. The first gate, which leads to Hell, is a wide gate, while the gate to Heaven is much smaller. This is a reference to Matthew 7:13-14 which reads, "Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."

See also : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734646/
Twilight Zone:Season 3, Episode 19
The Hunt (26Jan. 1962)
"The Twilight Zone" The Hunt(original title)
TV Episode - 25min

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Mr.Naina_Marbus, for an interesting source to the post that came in the net.Such Good things also come in the television Seris, is a new thing for me. Cheers..

Why Worry!!

There are only two things to worry about!
Either you are well or you are sick!!I
f you are well, then there is nothing to worry about!!
But if you are sick, well there are only two things to worry about!!
Whether you will get well or you will die!!
If you get well there is nothing to worry about!!
But if you die, then there are only two things to worry about!!
Whether you go to Heaven or Hell!!
If you go to heaven there is nothing to worry about!!
And if you go to Hell you’ll be busy shaking hands with your old friends, you won’t have time to worry

SO WHY WORRY!!!

Why Worry!!

There are only two things to worry about!
Either you are well or you are sick!!I
f you are well, then there is nothing to worry about!!
But if you are sick, well there are only two things to worry about!!
Whether you will get well or you will die!!
If you get well there is nothing to worry about!!
But if you die, then there are only two things to worry about!!
Whether you go to Heaven or Hell!!
If you go to heaven there is nothing to worry about!!
And if you go to Hell you’ll be busy shaking hands with your old friends, you won’t have time to worry

SO WHY WORRY!!!

From my years of experience as a doctor I have come to realize that when we humans reach the state where we have no worries we start to worry "why don't I have any worries"!

From my years of experience as a doctor I have come to realize that when we humans reach the state where we have no worries we start to worry "why don't I have any worries"!
Very true, Renu! Here is my write-up:

கவலையோ கவலை!

கவலை எனும் வலை வாழ்வில் உண்டு – ஆனால்
கவலை வலையிலேயே சிக்கி உழல்வதோ நன்று?

அறியாக் குழவிகளுக்கு முழு நேர ஆனந்தம் – விவரம்
தெரிய ஆரம்பித்ததும், கவலையும் கூடவே ஆரம்பம்!

குறும்பு செய்தால் பெற்றோர் அடிப்பாரெனக் கவலை;
அரும்பும் ஆர்வக் கேள்விகளால் திட்டு வாங்கும் கவலை!

சிறுவராய்ச் சேட்டைகள் செய்ய இயலாத கவலை;
பெரிய வகுப்பில் நுழைந்தால், மதிப்பெண் தரும் கவலை!

இடம் நல்ல கல்லூரியில் கிடைக்க வேண்டிக் கவலை;
தடம் மாறி வாழ்வு செல்லக் கூடாதே என்ற கவலை!

படிப்பு முடித்ததும், வெளிநாடு செல்லும் கவலை;
துடிப்பு மிக்க இளமையில், வேலை தேடும் கவலை!

காதலில் ஒரு வேளை மாட்டினால், திருமணமும்
காதல் புரிந்தவருடன் ஆக வேண்டுமெனக் கவலை!

மனம் விரும்பிய வாழ்வு கிடைக்க வேண்டிக் கவலை!
மணவாழ்வு தொடங்கிய பின்னர், வரும் வாரிசுக் கவலை;

வாரிசுகளுக்கு பள்ளியில் இடம் தேடும் கவலை;
பெரிசுகளாய் அவை மாறினால் கூடிடும் கவலை!

ஒருவழியாய் அவர்களுக்கும் நல்வாழ்வு அமைந்தால்,
வேறு வழியில் வந்து சேர்ந்திடும் வெவ்வேறு கவலை!

ஓடி ஓடி இளமையில் ஈட்டிய பெரும் பொருள்,
தேடித் தேடி வந்தடையும் உடல் நலக் குறைவால்,

நாடி கொஞ்சம் தளரும் வேளையில், அள்ளி அள்ளி
நாடி பிடிக்கும் வைத்தியருக்குக் கொடுக்கும் கவலை!

வேடிக்கையான உண்மை சம்பவம் ஒன்று அறிந்தேன்,
வாடிக்கையாகக் கவலை கொள்ளும் பேராசிரியர் பற்றி!

கவலைப்பட்டுப் புலம்பியே காலம் கழித்த அவரின் ஒரு நாள்
கவலையே, ‘கவலைப்பட ஒன்றுமே இல்லையே’ என்பதாம்!

மனக் கவலையைப் பின் எப்படித்தான் போக்குகிறது?
மனம் கவரும் வள்ளுவமே ஒரு வழியைக் கூறுகிறது!

தனக்குவமை இல்லாதான் தாள்சேர்ந்தார்க்கு அல்லால்
மனக்கவலை மாற்றல் அரிது! எத்துணை உண்மை இது!

தினமும் முழு நேரமும் கவலைப்பட்டே கழித்து விடாது,
தினமும் மாறாத பக்தியுடன் இறையை நன்கு தொழுது,

நடப்பவை எல்லாம் நன்மைக்கே என அற வழி நடந்தால்,
நடத்தலாம் நல்வாழ்வு, கவலை எனும் வலையில் வீழாது!

உலகம் உய்ய வேண்டும்,
ராஜி ராம்

very true, renu! Here is my write-up:

கவலையோ கவலை!

கவலை எனும் வலை வாழ்வில் உண்டு – ஆனால்
கவலை வலையிலேயே சிக்கி உழல்வதோ நன்று?

அறியாக் குழவிகளுக்கு முழு நேர ஆனந்தம் – விவரம்
தெரிய ஆரம்பித்ததும், கவலையும் கூடவே ஆரம்பம்!

குறும்பு செய்தால் பெற்றோர் அடிப்பாரெனக் கவலை;
அரும்பும் ஆர்வக் கேள்விகளால் திட்டு வாங்கும் கவலை!

சிறுவராய்ச் சேட்டைகள் செய்ய இயலாத கவலை;
பெரிய வகுப்பில் நுழைந்தால், மதிப்பெண் தரும் கவலை!

இடம் நல்ல கல்லூரியில் கிடைக்க வேண்டிக் கவலை;
தடம் மாறி வாழ்வு செல்லக் கூடாதே என்ற கவலை!

படிப்பு முடித்ததும், வெளிநாடு செல்லும் கவலை;
துடிப்பு மிக்க இளமையில், வேலை தேடும் கவலை!

காதலில் ஒரு வேளை மாட்டினால், திருமணமும்
காதல் புரிந்தவருடன் ஆக வேண்டுமெனக் கவலை!

மனம் விரும்பிய வாழ்வு கிடைக்க வேண்டிக் கவலை!
மணவாழ்வு தொடங்கிய பின்னர், வரும் வாரிசுக் கவலை;

வாரிசுகளுக்கு பள்ளியில் இடம் தேடும் கவலை;
பெரிசுகளாய் அவை மாறினால் கூடிடும் கவலை!

ஒருவழியாய் அவர்களுக்கும் நல்வாழ்வு அமைந்தால்,
வேறு வழியில் வந்து சேர்ந்திடும் வெவ்வேறு கவலை!

ஓடி ஓடி இளமையில் ஈட்டிய பெரும் பொருள்,
தேடித் தேடி வந்தடையும் உடல் நலக் குறைவால்,

நாடி கொஞ்சம் தளரும் வேளையில், அள்ளி அள்ளி
நாடி பிடிக்கும் வைத்தியருக்குக் கொடுக்கும் கவலை!

வேடிக்கையான உண்மை சம்பவம் ஒன்று அறிந்தேன்,
வாடிக்கையாகக் கவலை கொள்ளும் பேராசிரியர் பற்றி!

கவலைப்பட்டுப் புலம்பியே காலம் கழித்த அவரின் ஒரு நாள்
கவலையே, ‘கவலைப்பட ஒன்றுமே இல்லையே’ என்பதாம்!

மனக் கவலையைப் பின் எப்படித்தான் போக்குகிறது?
மனம் கவரும் வள்ளுவமே ஒரு வழியைக் கூறுகிறது!

தனக்குவமை இல்லாதான் தாள்சேர்ந்தார்க்கு அல்லால்
மனக்கவலை மாற்றல் அரிது! எத்துணை உண்மை இது!

தினமும் முழு நேரமும் கவலைப்பட்டே கழித்து விடாது,
தினமும் மாறாத பக்தியுடன் இறையை நன்கு தொழுது,

நடப்பவை எல்லாம் நன்மைக்கே என அற வழி நடந்தால்,
நடத்தலாம் நல்வாழ்வு, கவலை எனும் வலையில் வீழாது!

உலகம் உய்ய வேண்டும்,
ராஜி ராம்

ஆஹா....ஆர்.ஆர்...மேடம்...இன்னும் எதையும் எழுதவில்லையே...என நேற்று இரவு "கவலை" பட்டேன்....

இன்று கவலை தீர்ந்தது....வாழ்க வளமுடன்...!!!

Tvk

Worry is of different kinds as explained above. One has to analyse it in depth.

Though it may be difficult, one has to write down the same in a note book with
date and time and constantly review them as and when time permits to look into that.
While reviewing, one has to study the type of worry that has actually turned to be a
true incident. Sometime one may over come that after sometime. But he/she should

not forget that incident. Subsequently one has to review it over a period of three
months, six months or after an year as to why that worry cropped up and also record the
feelings one has been forced to come across after the event. If one has belief in God
he or she can concentrate on the God or do prayer to get out from that incident.
If that person does not have belief in the God, he/she can analyse as to which force
brought him that. Sometimes nature itself may clear the worry through the help of
someone. Otherwise to has to sit down in a quiet place along with his friend or
relative with whom he/she has faith and visualise the reason for the worry. Sometimes
one may not be able to face the consequences because of certain worry. In such
cases, such people should not stay alone. They can go to a relative place or go to
a temple and sit in front of the God and do dyanam or meditation for fifteen to half an
hour. Suppose if that person is able to concentrate on his/her breath, he will be
able to control the breathing and in the process his mind will get changed and would
come away from the problem or worry. Generally worry may pertain to relatives or
about self only. or some times one may be worried more about what others would
think or say when something unusual happens. In such cases, one has to discuss
the problem with someone who is close without having any shy or fear. Through
friends one may get confidence and faith to get out of that issue. Faith can
certainly work wonders.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

.............. In such cases, one has to discuss the problem with someone who is close without having any shy or fear. Through friends one may get confidence and faith to get out of that issue. Faith can certainly work wonders.

Balasubramanian
Ambattur

One should be lucky to share his/her feelings, emotions, pains and worries no matter how peculiar, unique or weired it is, to help him/her get out of depressions with the people who can use his/her "Heart" as well in combination with well intended rational brain to sooth the wailing person.

What Nixon said about Rajaji:

I met scores of presidents and princes and prime ministers during this trip ( in 1953) but for me the most memorable meeting was with the leader of the province of Madras, Rajagopalachari, a wizened contemporary of Gandhi. The afternoon I spent with him had such a dramatic effect on me that I used many of his thoughts in my speeches over the next several years... Paul Hoffman, who had supervised the Marshall Plan before becoming president of the Ford Foundation, had told me he (Rajaji) was one of the world’s most gifted men.This was an understatement. After Rajaji’s name in the three pages of notes I made about our conversation, I wrote ‘Infinitely wise’.

Last edited:
CHILDREN grow up fast, as all parents know. But can they grow up to be 21 years in a time span of 6 and a half minutes?

Watch this video clip 21 years in 6 and 1/2 minuutes

The video captures —frame by frame, the images of a tiny baby from the first day of its birth, day after day, until that child turns 21 years old!

The video is a demonstration of a father's dedication to his son, and a metaphor for life flashing before one’s eyes!

YorkshirePost

Ayyo! SAmi..... KaNNu valiyE vandhuduththu! :ranger:

Anyway, very nice and dedicated effort by the father! :photo:

Similar to this here in chennai i read that a parent had recorded the voice of their daughter over the years and along with her Photographs made agrand presentation of the same at the time of the marraige of the daughter and everyone appreciated the effort and conceded that it was the best present that was given on that day. It is unique and well thought out effort. We do see these in most marriages where the photographs are placed in a plce depicting the life of the daughter over the years and the achievements made by her, which will show the bride to all in the grooms side in a better way.
The effort of the father here also is amazing..

Cheers.

CHILDREN grow up fast, as all parents know. But can they grow up to be 21 years in a time span of 6 and a half minutes?

Watch this video clip 21 years in 6 and 1/2 minuutes

The video captures —frame by frame, the images of a tiny baby from the first day of its birth, day after day, until that child turns 21 years old!

The video is a demonstration of a father's dedication to his son, and a metaphor for life flashing before one’s eyes!

YorkshirePost

OMG ! I have seen so many people like this here who record everything of their children.
I personally feel sometimes we should not over do things .

Similar to this here in chennai i read that a parent had recorded the voice of their daughter over the years and along with her Photographs made agrand presentation of the same at the time of the marraige of the daughter and everyone appreciated the effort and conceded that it was the best present that was given on that day. It is unique and well thought out effort. We do see these in most marriages where the photographs are placed in a plce depicting the life of the daughter over the years and the achievements made by her, which will show the bride to all in the grooms side in a better way.
The effort of the father here also is amazing..

Cheers.

Dear sir,

I attended a wedding once on my husband's side and I saw they had a display of all childhood pic and a narrative of their love and how they met etc.

I was thinking it looked so weird and embarrassing cos you see we have no idea how the marriage might turn out in the future so better keep a low profile!

Yahan kal kya ho kisne jaana

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back