• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Marraige Into an Orthodox Family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Krish Sir,

I wonder whether Daksha's family will 'agree' to my new invention of making madisAr saree with six yards! :)

Though my sisters in law make fun of me, I have made four easy madisArs and use them according to the occasion.

Tomorrow is sumangali prArthanai in my extended family and I have dried a silk madi madisAr saree, a few minutes back! :cool:

You are right Raji ma'am 6 yard Madisar is not an option for me.

It has to be 9 yards

Do you use 6 yards, I thought it will be uncomfortable ?

Dear Daksha..I think RR jis suggestion is good..so continue in this thread.

Tell us your daily routine..what time you get up..any specific prayers you recite in the morning.

But enjoy ur LOVVU too.

Yes of course, hope I will not bore you , but I will to my maximum ??

You are right Raji ma'am 6 yard Madisar is not an option for me.

It has to be 9 yards

Do you use 6 yards, I thought it will be uncomfortable 
Dear Daksha,

I guess you think it is similar to the tight shortcut madisAr worn by some IyengAr mAmis!

It is NOT. I explained the method of stitching it, with pics, in 'Ideas ....' thread. Shall try to C n P the same here.

My traditional in laws object to the two piece madisAr but I continue to use them ........ women's lib, right? :thumb:

Oh yeah! I found that post! :spy:

To see the pictures, please click on this link
Ideas . . . Ideas! and scroll down to post # 368

Some interesting interactions also followed up to the next page! ;)

Two minutes madisAr!!

Wearing a madisAr saree is always a problem for many ladies. Just before my son's wedding, I made two nine and half yard

sarees
into two piece madisArs. The first portion up to the first knot is about three and quarter yards and the second portion

is about six yards. I stitched the first portion with the pleats at the back fixed and made as a pAvadai, with a tape to tie it.

The rest of the saree is to be worn just as any other madisAr. This enabled me to use the second portion as the normal six

yards saree! 'oRE kallula rendu mAngAy'!! :becky:

Now another break-through! madisAr stitched with a normal saree + top portion of an under-skirt! :cool:

The idea is to attach the first portion which will be seen outside, from just above the knees, with a skirt. This needs only

half the width of the normal saree. About one and half meters cut into half + the top portion of an under-skirt will suffice.

Use elastic tape instead of nAdA, to wear it in two or three seconds.
The rest of the portion is to be wound round as the

normal madisAr, starting from the back. :)

P.S: I shall post the pictures soon.

Oh yeah! I found that post! :spy:

To see the pictures, please click on this link
Ideas . . . Ideas! and scroll down to post # 368

Some interesting interactions also followed up to the next page! ;)

Thanks for the idea !!!!

But I am only allowed a full 9 yard Madisar without stitching. That was made clear to me before my wedding.???

Although I did break that rule during my 1st part of honeymoon for a week ??

Obviously no one minds about that and because we went to a foreign country I was in my attaire which was normal for me before.

:yo: , Krish Sir!

But madisAr does not affect :typing: in any way! :cool:

Interesting , may be I am new to it .

I also would presume that by the time you started typing frequently you were used wearing Madisar, so it was normal I think.

But for me all the time I was typing with my office or casual clothes and rarely I typed with the saree, even then the pallu was over the left now the pallu comes on the right and a lot of saree material so it all feels different.

Not just typing even normal moving around looks like s task for me at the moment.

Madisar is worn I think with pallu on left or right depending on iyer or iyengar. Am I correct in my thinking.

I do not really observe this closely.

Actually I do not normally wear specs.

I have only observe dresses of people vaguely.

Madisar is worn I think with pallu on left or right depending on iyer or iyengar. Am I correct in my thinking.

I do not really observe this closely.

Actually I do not normally wear specs.

I have only observe dresses of people vaguely.

I am married to iyer family and we wear it on the right side of the shoulder.

[video=youtube_share;0DIuhthRwm8]https://youtu.be/0DIuhthRwm8[/video]

Daksha..this song is for you.

Wearing the pallu on the right side is a bit uncomfortable if one is right handed.

It has a way of slipping on hands in case it is pattu making it difficult to type.

So adopt iyengar style and get your right hand free .

My knowledge stems from triplicane temple where you find quite a few of these type of mamis.

They appear to be comfortable with the dress.

Of course , they do not engage in typing anything.

A laptop using mami with madisar may not be easy to find.lol

Last edited:
The left "melaakku" is for Vadakalai Iyengar maamis.

The right "melaakku" is for Iyer and Thenkalai maamis.

Iyer madisar has a folded bunch of "kosuvam" while Iyengar madisar does not have this. For Iyengars (both T and V kalais) it is just plain draping around in a particular way without the bunch of kosuvam. Some Iyer women call it kosAm and not kosuvam. In Tirunelveli district it is just kosuvam only.

Krish, before you get ideas, let me admit that this knowledge comes from my better half. I have nothing to do with that except just enjoying it when worn by healthy, curvaceous beauties - and thank god for such artistic creations. LOL.

Vaagmiji
You can be shortsighted like me when not wearing specs see less and more likely think women to be pretty

All women would look wonderful I imagine - right or left kosuvam or with or without one.

You have added to my knowledge on melakku.

I had thought that melakku refers only the half sari worn with pavadai.

But it can refer to any garment thrown over upper part of body including part of full saree also according to wikipedia

The left "melaakku" is for Vadakalai Iyengar maamis.

The right "melaakku" is for Iyer and Thenkalai maamis.

Iyer madisar has a folded bunch of "kosuvam" while Iyengar madisar does not have this. For Iyengars (both T and V kalais) it is just plain draping around in a particular way without the bunch of kosuvam. Some Iyer women call it kosAm and not kosuvam. In Tirunelveli district it is just kosuvam only.

Krish, before you get ideas, let me admit that this knowledge comes from my better half. I have nothing to do with that except just enjoying it when worn by healthy, curvaceous beauties - and thank god for such artistic creations. LOL.

Wow...so its not just U and Y difference alone for Iyengars.

Btw any difference in how a dhoti is tied by Vadakalais and Thenkalais?

There is no difference in the way a dhoti is worn. A madisar saree is of 18 cubit length and a double dhoti is a poor cousin with a length of just 16 cubits. Moreover there are no curves to negotiate. Perhaps men are just dull and drab specimens while women are beautiful and that may be a reason too.

There is no difference in the way a dhoti is worn. A madisar saree is of 18 cubit length and a double dhoti is a poor cousin with a length of just 16 cubits. Moreover there are no curves to negotiate. Perhaps men are just dull and drab specimens while women are beautiful and that may be a reason too.

Dull and Drab?
I strongly disagreeLOL

[video=youtube_share;0DIuhthRwm8]https://youtu.be/0DIuhthRwm8[/video]

Daksha..this song is for you.

Ahh!!!thank you for the dedication ??

I am nothing compared to this ???

Infact even Asin's Madisar kattu is not correct ???

Not sure why they tend to show us like this, if this was some other community they would have made a big issue out of it.

When Madisar is worn normally it will look divine ???

...... A madisar saree is of 18 cubit length and a double dhoti is a poor cousin with a length of just 16 cubits. ...
Wrong math, Vaagmi Sir!?

MadisAr comes in three lengths viz. 18, 19 and 20 cubits.

Double dhOti is 8 cubits and for 'panchu' there are two sets of lengths viz. 9 X 5 (for short, thin men) 10 X 6 (for tall or stout men)

P.S: When I was a kid, I have heard Sri. Kirupananda Variar describe a stout man like this:

'avan chiththAnai kutty pOla iruppAn; ettu muzham vEtti, oru sutruththAn varum'! :)

Wrong math, Vaagmi Sir!?

MadisAr comes in three lengths viz. 18, 19 and 20 cubits.

Double dhOti is 8 cubits and for 'panchu' there are two sets of lengths viz. 9 X 5 (for short, thin men) 10 X 6 (for tall or stout men)

P.S: When I was a kid, I have heard Sri. Kirupananda Variar describe a stout man like this:

'avan chiththAnai kutty pOla iruppAn; ettu muzham vEtti, oru sutruththAn varum'! :)

That is okay. Exceptions do not make a rule. The 10x6, 9x5 etc are exceptions meant for thoppajis and not for the average famished ( famished because of an office-going, time-lines meeting, quick-fix cooking, harassed housewife) brahmin householder. Unless he suffers from thyroidism. LOL.

That is okay. .......
:nono: Vaagmi Sir!

The main point you have missed is that double dhoti is 8 cubit ONLY and not 16 cubits as you wrote! :)

And the two piece 9 x 5 and 10 x 6 are for 'panchu' meaning 'panchakachcham'!

I am sorry! I should have given the meaning of 'panchu'!
icon3.png

I gave the nick name because panchakachcham is too long! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back