• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Let us value honesty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello sir,In my 13 years of My dental Profession,There are different types of people (patients ),were due to the attitude ,ignorance,they tend to hide their medical history,few why to inform these issues?,few married women omit their missed periods details. So a detail medical history,Drug-Medicine in take will be covered in my routine consultation.Few incidents like Patients taking medicines for High blood pressure,can elicit as GINGIVAL ENLARGMENT,ie- full /partial gums swelling,due to medicine side effect . Usage of probing with Pin, Tooth picks can lead to swelling which can be particular to a tooth or entire side ,on conversation "It happened just like that"DR,I did not do any thing, Using Hot Fomentation to a tooth pain site ,were it really FLARE UP, all Dental Swellings on just a sight can be same ,But site, reasoning,cause,will differ entirely .Even Swelling due to septic condition has a same picture ,so proper examination,questioning,can avoid unwanted results .In general Patients co operate better, but person accompany Him /Her might confuse /Hide / assume as same condition of their known examples. Actually this topic of Doctor experiences takes more examples ,time is of more concern ,can proceed later.

Hello sir,In my 13 years of My dental Profession,There are different types of people (patients ),were due to the attitude ,ignorance,they tend to hide their medical history,few why to inform these issues?,few married women omit their missed periods details. So a detail medical history,Drug-Medicine in take will be covered in my routine consultation.Few incidents like Patients taking medicines for High blood pressure,can elicit as GINGIVAL ENLARGMENT,ie- full /partial gums swelling,due to medicine side effect . Usage of probing with Pin, Tooth picks can lead to swelling which can be particular to a tooth or entire side ,on conversation "It happened just like that"DR,I did not do any thing, Using Hot Fomentation to a tooth pain site ,were it really FLARE UP, all Dental Swellings on just a sight can be same ,But site, reasoning,cause,will differ entirely .Even Swelling due to septic condition has a same picture ,so proper examination,questioning,can avoid unwanted results .In general Patients co operate better, but person accompany Him /Her might confuse /Hide / assume as same condition of their known examples. Actually this topic of Doctor experiences takes more examples ,time is of more concern ,can proceed later.

Is there some fear that if we share the status, Doctor may ask for additional tests?..But ultimately it is the question of one's health being compromised

Sir,I it is not clearly stated, could you please mention on what grounds you mean so,Perhaps people generally come to conclusion,what it can be,they reply etc etc.. .Status -regarding medical condition of the patient ,status of disease,time,intensity,etc etc.

Sir,I it is not clearly stated, could you please mention on what grounds you mean so,Perhaps people generally come to conclusion,what it can be,they reply etc etc.. .Status -regarding medical condition of the patient ,status of disease,time,intensity,etc etc.

I have myself experienced..For a normal vomit of the child the local Doctor had prescribed a series of Blood tests, stool examination, urine test etc...We were really taken aback...We went to an alternate Doctor and the problem got solved with ondan tab

I understand for the elderly CT Scan are frequently recommended for common ailments.

So patients will fear for such Doctors and may not share the condition/ailments openly!

Hello Vgane,I Can understand your tough / Bitter experience , which can be disturbing incidence,but then its not either support /oppose any DR"s way of treatment because compromise ,neglect can lead to very fatal end,.A Simple blood test can rule out so many similar conditions (what we call as Differential Diagnosis- which can mimic same type of symptoms.),Certain conditions Sure needs CT /MRI . (here in chennai so many goverment hospitals,hold these test which are of few hundred cost,so many Lions Rotatry, does in very much cost effective way.)I Kindly request you not to conclude with Your s /few example.

[h=1]Sikh driver in Australia sets example of honesty[/h]
Pranams to all,

I would like to share this news with members.

Melbourne: A Sikh cabbie in Australia has set an example of honesty after he returned 1,10,000 dollars to passengers who had left the bundle of cash in his taxi.

The incident happened in Melbourne recently when the cab driver Lakhwinder Singh Dhillon was doing his routine job of picking and dropping passenger.

"On that day I picked up few passengers and after a while I noticed a bag lying in my cab," Singh told SBS Punjabi radio programme channel in Melbourne.
He said that when he opened the bag he saw it was full of cash which were 11 bundles of 10,000 Australian dollars.

Singh said that instead of thinking to pocket the money he was thinking of returning the cash to its owner.

"For a while nobody came to claim it as the owners were not able to remember it if they had left the cash at the restaurant or the cab," he said.

"After an hour or so those passengers called the taxi company inquiring about the bag and I told them that it was with me," he said.

"I went and returned the bag to the right people. The owner was very happy and said that I was a super honest man," Singh said.

With regards

Source: NDTV.Com/
October 25, 2013

Honesty Certification for the the Delhi auto's is a good beginning...Who is going to bell the cat in Chennai?

Honesty stamp for Delhi autos - Hindustan Times

Haggling with auto wallahs every day is a thing every Delhiite dreads.While assurances of action from the authorities are aplenty, radio channel Fever 104FM has gone a step ahead and started a campaign that promises to tell the ‘meter rickshaw’ from the ‘cheater rickshaw’! The Fever Ka Thappa campaign, launched last week, recognises auto wallahs who go by the meter as ‘Imaandar Autowallahs’, and stamp their auto as a reward. These auto wallahs then pledge not to bargain with commuters, and go by the meter always.

“Autos not adhering to rules, like not plying by meter, is one of the biggest problems the commuters in Delhi face today. This campaign is aimed towards making their life easier, and what better than they joining us in making it a reality. A lot of celebrities have endorsed this initiative and have added to the phenomenal response we are receiving from our listeners,” says Harshad Jain – Business Head, Radio & Entertainment, HT Media Ltd.

In just a week’s time, more than 1,500 autos have come forward to be stamped as honest meter rickshaws. And, they are delighted with it. “Jab se yeh thappa laga hai, zyada sawari milne lagi hai (ever since my auto got stamped, more people are willing to hire my auto),” says Manoj Singh, an auto driver.

The one-of-its-kind campaign is being supported by celebs, too. Pop Singer Honey Singh, who was shocked to know that travelling by meter was not a norm in Delhi, took up the challenge to do a random check. Dressed as a common man, he stopped an auto on Lodhi Road and asked the driver, “Kitna lagega?” and Ram Raj, the driver, who clearly did not recognise Singh, took him by surprise when he said, “Meter se chalenge!” Singh then stamped the auto. “Honesty pays off each time. I will always run my auto by the meter,” said Raj.

Commuters, too, are lauding the campaign. “I used to spend a good 15 minutes bargaining with an auto wallah, but now, as soon as I see an auto with ‘Fever ka Thappa’, I just board it and pay according to the meter,” says Rajat Kumar.

Hello Vgane,I Can understand your tough / Bitter experience , which can be disturbing incidence,but then its not either support /oppose any DR"s way of treatment because compromise ,neglect can lead to very fatal end,.A Simple blood test can rule out so many similar conditions (what we call as Differential Diagnosis- which can mimic same type of symptoms.),Certain conditions Sure needs CT /MRI . (here in chennai so many goverment hospitals,hold these test which are of few hundred cost,so many Lions Rotatry, does in very much cost effective way.)I Kindly request you not to conclude with Your s /few example.

Yes Madam! I hope that incident was isolated one!

Are there any further statistics detailing how many places there were closed circuit cameras installed / not-installed? This helps in identifying the "Genuine" cases.

Honesty law in Italy!....A good way to recognize and incentivize Honesty!!

Honesty best policy: Italian pensioner's lost €175,000 returned

By Anne Sewell

Oct 28, 2013
Cassino - A pensioner in Cassino, Lazio, lost an envelope crammed full of €175,000, when it was blown off the balcony of her home. The money has now been returned to her, less a 10 percent "honesty payment."

It is thought that the envelope blew off the pensioner's balcony while she was cleaning.

It was found by a 53-year-old woman in the center of Cassino, who was out on an evening walk

In a video on La Repubblica (in Italian), the woman says, “I didn’t hesitate to call the police.”

The pensioner has now received the envelope back, without a note missing. All she had to do was give the finder 10 percent thanks to Italy's "honesty" law.

In Italy honesty pays, it seems, as in this case the lady received €17,500 for her trouble.

Apparently this is not a rare occurrence. According to the Local, recently a Milan pensioner found €7,000 in a car park and another man in Palermo found €4,000 on the floor of a supermarket. Both returned the cash and were rewarded for their honesty with 10 percent

Honesty best policy: Italian pensioner's lost ?175,000 returned

Look at the statement by the Sheriff while praising the honest act of a student!

" [FONT=&quot]Whenever one of our young people do something wrong it is in the newspaper and on the radio and everyone hears about it. Whenever they do something right, you very seldom hear about it"

How true it is!

We need to recognize the honest acts more

Southwest Florida Online - Sunday Morning News: High School Student Rewarded For Honesty
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]High School Student Rewarded For Honesty [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Found Wallet Brings Reward To Finder[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
OKEECHOBEE, FL. -- At a recent powder puff football game at Okeechobee High School, senior Erin Hudson found a wallet. Ms. Hudson promptly turned it over to a school administrator. The school administrator, along with Sgt. Mark Roberts, School Resource Deputy Supervisor, counted the money and was quite surprised to find the wallet contained a large sum of money.

Sgt. Roberts stated, “I was quite astonished that there was actually cash still in the wallet. In a time when many could have and would have kept the property (cash) for personal gain, Erin showed her honesty and integrity in returning the lost wallet to school administration where it could be returned to its rightful owner. It’s without question, that Erin brings great honor and respect to herself by her actions and to all who had anything to do with her upbringing of such deep convictions of honesty and integrity.”

Sgt Roberts nominated Erin for a “Just-Us Citation Random Acts of Kindness Award”. The Just-Us Citation Program is an Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Office sponsored program where School Resource Deputies recognize school aged youth for noteworthy achievements and contributions to their school and community.

On October 29, 2013, Erin was presented the award by Sheriff Paul C. May and Undersheriff Noel Stephen. In addition to receiving a plaque, Erin also received one hundred dollars.

Sheriff Paul May said, “Whenever one of our young people do something wrong it is in the newspaper and on the radio and everyone hears about it. Whenever they do something right, you very seldom hear about it. This young lady returned this wallet with everything in it because it was the right thing to do. The vast majority of our young people in Okeechobee do the right thing every day and we are very proud of them. I want to take this opportunity to thank her for setting an example for all of us to follow.” [/FONT]

Look at the statement by the Sheriff while praising the honest act of a student!

" [FONT=&quot]Whenever one of our young people do something wrong it is in the newspaper and on the radio and everyone hears about it. Whenever they do something right, you very seldom hear about it"

How true it is!

We need to recognize the honest acts more

Southwest Florida Online - Sunday Morning News: High School Student Rewarded For Honesty
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]High School Student Rewarded For Honesty [/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Found Wallet Brings Reward To Finder[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
OKEECHOBEE, FL. -- At a recent powder puff football game at Okeechobee High School, senior Erin Hudson found a wallet. Ms. Hudson promptly turned it over to a school administrator. The school administrator, along with Sgt. Mark Roberts, School Resource Deputy Supervisor, counted the money and was quite surprised to find the wallet contained a large sum of money.

Sgt. Roberts stated, “I was quite astonished that there was actually cash still in the wallet. In a time when many could have and would have kept the property (cash) for personal gain, Erin showed her honesty and integrity in returning the lost wallet to school administration where it could be returned to its rightful owner. It’s without question, that Erin brings great honor and respect to herself by her actions and to all who had anything to do with her upbringing of such deep convictions of honesty and integrity.”

Sgt Roberts nominated Erin for a “Just-Us Citation Random Acts of Kindness Award”. The Just-Us Citation Program is an Okeechobee County Sheriff’s Office sponsored program where School Resource Deputies recognize school aged youth for noteworthy achievements and contributions to their school and community.

On October 29, 2013, Erin was presented the award by Sheriff Paul C. May and Undersheriff Noel Stephen. In addition to receiving a plaque, Erin also received one hundred dollars.

Sheriff Paul May said, “Whenever one of our young people do something wrong it is in the newspaper and on the radio and everyone hears about it. Whenever they do something right, you very seldom hear about it. This young lady returned this wallet with everything in it because it was the right thing to do. The vast majority of our young people in Okeechobee do the right thing every day and we are very proud of them. I want to take this opportunity to thank her for setting an example for all of us to follow.” [/FONT]

Do we get more dishonest as the day progresses? Are we more Satvik in the morning than in the evenings?

The following study says so!

Honesty gets harder as day wears on, researchers find

Oct. 30, 2013
Courtesy of the Association for Psychological Science
and World Science staff

The self-con­trol that helps us re­sist cheat­ing or ly­ing wears down as a day goes on, mak­ing us more likely to be dis­hon­est in the af­ter­noon than in the morn­ing, ac­cord­ing to new find­ings.

“Un­for­tu­nately, the most hon­est peo­ple” may be the most sus­cep­ti­ble to that ef­fect, the re­search­ers wrote, ex­plain­ing their find­ings.

“We had been run­ning ex­pe­ri­ments ex­am­in­ing var­i­ous un­eth­i­cal be­hav­iors, such as ly­ing, steal­ing, and cheat­ing,” added the re­search­ers, Maryam Kouchaki of Har­vard Uni­vers­ity and Isaac Smith of the Uni­vers­ity of Utah. “We no­ticed that ex­pe­ri­ments con­ducted in the morn­ing seemed to sys­tem­at­ic­ally re­sult in low­er in­stances of un­eth­i­cal be­hav­ior.”

This led them to won­der: Is it eas­i­er to re­sist op­por­tun­i­ties to lie, cheat, steal, and en­gage in oth­er un­eth­i­cal be­hav­ior in the morn­ing than in the af­ter­noon? Know­ing that stud­ies have shown that a lack of rest and re­peat­ed decision-mak­ing can de­plete self-con­trol, Kouchacki and Smith ex­am­ined wheth­er nor­mal daily ac­ti­vi­ties would do so and in­crease dis­hon­est be­hav­ior. Their find­ings are pub­lished in the jour­nal Psy­cho­log­i­cal Sci­ence.

In two ex­pe­ri­ments, college-age par­ti­ci­pants were shown var­i­ous pat­terns of dots on a com­put­er. For each pat­tern, they were asked to iden­ti­fy wheth­er more dots were dis­played on the left or right side of the screen. Im­por­tant­ly, par­ti­ci­pants weren’t paid for get­ting cor­rect an­swers, but were in­stead paid based on which side of the screen they said had more dots; they were paid 10 times more for pick­ing the right over the left. Par­ti­ci­pants there­fore had a fi­nan­cial in­cen­tive to se­lect the right, even if there were un­mis­takably more dots on the left, which would be a case of clear cheat­ing.

Par­ti­ci­pants tested be­tween 8:00 a.m. and noon were less likely to cheat than those tested be­tween noon and 6:00p.m., the re­search­ers said, a phe­nom­e­non they called the “morn­ing mor­al­ity ef­fect.”

They al­so tested par­ti­ci­pants’ mor­al aware­ness in both the morn­ing and af­ter­noon. Af­ter pre­sent­ing them with word frag­ments such as “_ _RAL” and “E_ _ _ C_ _” the morn­ing par­ti­ci­pants were more likely to form the words “mor­al” and “eth­i­cal,” where­as the af­ter­noon par­ti­ci­pants tended to form the words “co­ral” and “ef­fects.”

The re­search­ers found the same pat­tern of re­sults when they tested a sam­ple of on­line par­ti­ci­pants from across the Un­ited State, they said. Par­ti­ci­pants were more likely to send a dis­hon­est mes­sage to a vir­tu­al part­ner or to re­port hav­ing solved an un­solv­a­ble number-matching prob­lem in the af­ter­noon, com­pared to the morn­ing.

They al­so found that the ex­tent to which peo­ple be­have un­eth­ic­ally with­out feel­ing guilt or dis­tress—known as mor­al disen­gagement—made a dif­fer­ence in how strong the morn­ing mor­al­ity ef­fect was. Par­ti­ci­pants with a high­er propens­ity to mor­ally disen­gage were likely to cheat in both the morn­ing and the af­ter­noon, they found. But peo­ple who had a low­er propens­ity to mor­ally disen­gage—those who might be ex­pected to be more eth­i­cal in gen­er­al—were hon­est in the morn­ing, but less so in the af­ter­noon.

They add that their re­search re­sults could have im­plica­t­ions for or­gan­iz­a­tions or busi­nesses try­ing to re­duce un­eth­i­cal be­hav­ior. “For in­stance, or­gan­iz­a­tions may need to be more vig­i­lant about com­bat­ing the un­eth­i­cal be­hav­ior of cus­tomers or em­ploy­ees in the af­ter­noon than in the morn­ing,” the re­search­ers wrote.
http://www.world-science.net/othernews/131030_morality.htm

Messages on Honesty are having an impact...All the Government servants require this probably every hour!

Railway to mark anti-corruption week
TNN Nov 3, 2013,

KOLKATA: Ashis Sarkar (name changed), a ticket examiner of the South Eastern Railway (SER) was on his rounds when he received an SMS. "Mere honesty is not enough unless you stop a little dishonesty around you," it said.

He was not the only one. In the last few days,
The operating staff of SER - particularly those who deal with passengers directly - have been receiving messages on 'honesty' regularly. This is a measure adopted by SER's vigilance department to check corrupt practices. According to an official, SER tied up with a cellular service provider and sent messages to 13,000 employees daily since Monday. The aim was to spread awareness on corrupt practices. Eastern Railway also organized skits and awareness programmes in the last six days.

"Our idea was to bombard employees with such messages. This is likely to have a psychological impact. We also wanted the employees to understand that if they adopt corrupt practices; the day will not be far when they themselves will fall prey to this evil," the official said.

ER and SER also organized a joint seminar on 'Promoting Good Governance - Positive Contribution of Vigilance' in Kolkata recently.
G C Agarwal, who is general manager of both the railways, said that corruption in any form, not only impedes growth and development of an organisation but also seriously erodes its efficiency and credibility. "Corruption can't come down significantly, unless all employees and stake holders participate in eradicating corruption. Transparency of an organisation is extremely necessary to eradicate corruption and a healthy organisation needs to have a good vigilance department," he said.

The guide to make children speak the truth is very practical....Good tips

If you ask parents to name the most important values that they want to instill in their children, honesty is almost always high on the list. The same is true of qualities that we look for in a mate or close friend. In order to build trust, we need to believe in someone’s word. How many times have you asked a loved one, “Please, just tell me the truth…”

If your goal is to build honesty and discourage lying in your children, what’s the best way to do it? If you do catch your child in a lie, what should you do then?

The answer is not so simple. Indeed, it depends a great deal on the age of your child, the type of lie being told and the motives behind it. . The first step in dealing with lying–or any other troublesome behavior–is to know what is normal given the age of your child. Bright, lovable (normal) kids lie–first as a way of avoiding punishment but eventually learning how to lie to be liked and accepted by others and to avoid hurting someone’s feelings.

Step #1: Remind yourself that children who tell lies are not bad–they are simply afraid of getting in trouble or making someone angry at them.

Take a deep breath and wait until you can respond calmly. Blowing up at your child can backfire. It gives the behavior a lot of attention (even if it’s negative).

Step #2: Don’t press your child to confess or act like a private investigator trying to catch someone.

Usually you know that your child has done something wrong and then has lied about it. For example, your older child takes a toy away from the baby and then denies it; or your daughter eats cookies before dinner when you told her not to; or your son has not finished doing homework but starts playing video games which is against your rules.

Step #3: Either ask your child to explain to you what rule has been broken or, explain to your child what was wrong about his or her behavior.

Decide on a reasonable consequence–meaning one that “fits the crime”. In the examples above, you could take the “stolen” toy away from your child for the day; tell your daughter that she will not be able to have dessert after dinner since she ate the cookies; tell your son he cannot play video games for the rest of the day even when his homework is finished.

Step #4: Now address the lying. Ask your child to tell you why they lied about the behavior.
Really listen and have some empathy. It is difficult to obey all the rules when you are little!

The most common responses will either be because your child didn’t want to get in trouble or didn’t want to make you (or a teacher or friend) mad at her. Perhaps it is difficult for your child to make a mistake. Be curious about the motive for the lie, and help your child see how lying didn’t really make anything better.

Step #5: Explain the difference between white “lies” and inappropriate lies.

Since small children are very literal, make sure you explain that sometimes you keep “your feelings” (white lies) to yourself in order to keep from hurting another’s feelings. Think about how confusing this concept must be to young children trying to learn about telling the truth. It takes many years to figure out the complexities.

Step #6: Transform mistakes into teachable moments about the importance of honesty.

A time honored story about the negative consequences of lying is one of Aesop’s fables, The Boy Who Cried Wolf. (If you are unfamiliar with this story or want to show your child a short video, here is a link). This teaching tale is a good one when a lie is motivated by the desire for attention or when lots of exaggeration and drama are thrown in.

Interestingly enough, Victoria Talwar, one of the foremost researchers on children and lying, found that The Boy Who Cried Wolf was not terribly effective at eliciting honesty in her experiments. Her explanation is that kids already know that lying can get them into trouble. They need to learn the positive effects of telling the truth instead.

Step #7: Teach your child that you will be happy and proud of them for telling the truth.

The story that Talwar found reduced lying between 50-75% of the time was George Washington and the Cherry Tree. In this legendary teaching tale, the young George uses his new hatchet to cut down everything in sight–including his father’s cherry tree. When his angry father confronts him, George confesses, and his father tells him how proud he is, and how hearing George tell the truth is worth more than a thousand cherry trees. In fact, just telling your child that you will be really proud or happy if they tell you the truth helps kids open up.

Step #8: Reward truth-telling and have consequences for the lying itself.

Another strategy that reinforces honesty is to tell your child that you will not punish him (or be angry) for the inappropriate behavior if he tells you the truth. When you hear the truth, tell her how proud you are. Then explain what the consequence will be if the troublesome behavior is repeated in the future.
Far too many parents punish the child’s behavior (the one he just lied about) but do not punish the lying. Why shouldn’t the child try to lie again the next time? A more effective approach is to give a consequence not only for their bad behavior but also for lying about it. In other words, reverse the incentives to make honesty bring some rewards.

Step #9: Remember that kids don’t internalize the psychological costs of lying until older.

When asked if lying is wrong, over 90% of 5 year-olds say yes, because lies get you in trouble. It is not until the age of 11 or 12 that the majority of kids understand how lying hurts other people, damages trust in relationships, and makes you feel guilty and bad about yourself.
Rather than emphasizing how terrible lies are, it is essential that parents teach kids how and why honesty is so important. Use songs and educational activities starting when your child is very young (like the song H-O-N-E-S-T-Y) to help build emotional intelligence and develop character.

Step #10: Model truth-telling.

As your child gets older, share lessons from your own life. Think about times when you told the truth even when it was difficult, and you had to accept the consequences of your mistake. Find books, movies and other media for older kids to bring home the point of honesty and integrity. Be the kind of adult you want your child to grow up to be. Tell them the truth. It is a long and winding road.

http://blogs.psychcentral.com/parenting-tips/2013/11/honesty-rules-10-steps-to-get-there/

Last edited:
How parents bring up their children plays a key role in shaping our moral character! Kelsie Williams honesty shows this lucidly!

[FONT=&quot]Nominees for 2013 Persons of Distinction: Honest work ethic: Williams makes impression at Butte nursing home[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Top of Form[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]Bottom of Form[/FONT]​
[FONT=&quot]November 03, 2013 12:15 am

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If you found $1,000 in an envelope, would you return it?

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Kelsie Williams, a certified nursing assistant at Crest Nursing Home, did just that.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Recently Williams found an envelope with $1,000 that had been nearly forgotten by a patient who was checking out after a rehabilitation stay. The woman’s family had called, frantic, trying to track down the money. Williams asked the patient how much money was supposed to be in the envelope and then counted the money out to make sure.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“With what these girls make, that’s a lot of money,” said Willams’ boss registered nurse Marti Burke. “The family was beside themselves, but Kelsie brought it right up and turned it in. She has really high morals.”

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Burke nominated Williams as a person of distinction for her hard work and honesty.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Williams said that finding the money and turning it in was just part of her job, and she’s sure any of her coworkers in her position would have done the same thing.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“I’m happy I found it, but it’s not that big a deal,” Williams said. “It’s nice of my boss to nominate me. We’re not always appreciated. Everyone here does a great job. I just happened to stumble on the money that day.”

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]However, Burke said it takes a person of integrity to do what Williams did.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Williams credits her work ethic and her honesty to her parents and the way they raised her. She said she loves her job, and feels rewarded by working with the elderly, but that her family and children are the most important parts of her life. She clocks in at 5:45 a.m. when working and spends her days helping short-term residents in the rehabilitation wing of the home shower, dress and do everyday activities.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]“It’s really rewarding helping the elderly and making their stay a better place,” she said. “I love being with the residents and having conversations, listing to their stories. It’s very rewarding to know you helped someone, someone who might not be able to help themselves. A lot of them don’t want to be here so we try to make it as homey as possible. We help them rebuild themselves.”

Nominees for 2013 Persons of Distinction: Honest work ethic: Williams makes impression at Butte nursing home

[/FONT]

For a change we are seeing a honest policeman...Well done!

Honest constable returns Rs 51,200 to owner - The Times of India

Honest constable returns Rs 51200 to owner

JAIPUR: In the scenario when usually men in Khaki are considered dishonest, a 40-year-old policeman working at Sindhi Camp showed utter honesty while performing his duties at the busy bus stand on Monday. After finding an unclaimed bag containing Rs 51,200 the constable searched for the actual owner of the bag and returned it to him.

The incident took place on Monday when the head constable of Sindhi Camp police station Amarchand found an unclaimed bag at the entrance of the bus stand. He was surprised to see that many currency notes in the bag.

"I counted and found that the bag contained Rs 51,200. As I had found a voter ID card and a slip with a phone number, I thought it will be easy to find the bag's actual owner. After calling up on the number I found that the man identified as Ameen Qureshi, a native of Niwai Darwaja area in Tonk, claimed to be the owner," Amarchand told TOI on Wednesday.

After verifying certain things including bank withdrawal slips and ATM slips, the head constable returned the bag to the owner.

"He told me that he was on his way to Tonk with family and while entering the bus stand he must have lost it. After reaching home when he realized that the bag was lost, he was upset, but thanked me when I returned it," the constable added.

However, the senior police officers are yet to come up with either a word of appreciation or an award for the constable's honesty. On being asked if he had got a pat on his back by his seniors the constable was mum

A unique way to test honesty!

Test of Honest Tea: Company tests ISU students' honesty

By Cody Timm

ISU students’ honesty was tested when a company set up an experiment to see just how honest they are.
Honest Tea, founded in 1998, is a company based on honesty between customers and the company itself, according to it’s website. Honest Tea uses all natural ingredients to create its organic teas in order to make them less sweet, but more flavorful.

The company is in its third year of an experiment developed to test the honesty of their customers.
Katelyn Jones, representatives from Honest Tea who watched over the stand at Iowa State, said the company wants to see if their customers are as honest as Honest Tea.

Jones explained that Honest Tea sets up an unmanned tea stand and advertises its teas for $1 a bottle. Customers can either put $1 in a box, or they can simply take the tea and go about their business.

An Honest Tea representative watches the stand to see who pays and who doesn’t, and at the end of the day they calculate the number of teas gone and the amount of money collected to determine how honest the customers were, Jones said.

In 2013, the company took the experiment nationwide. From July 8 to 18, they conducted the experiment at 61 locations all across the United States. All the money collected from the experiment will be donated to FoodCorps, which “connects kids to real food and helps them grow up healthy,” according to its website.

The company since has taken the experiment to college campuses all over the nation as well, such as Iowa State, known as the “HONEST Campus” tour.

On Oct. 15, Honest Tea set up a stand near the Union Drive Community Center. From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., representatives from Honest Tea sat inside UDCC and observed. At the end of the experiment, they counted the money and amount of teas taken and reported the results to Iowa State.

Out of the 78 bottles of tea gone after the experiment, 76 had been paid for. This means that 97.4 percent of the students who took a bottle also paid for it, said Brittney Rutherford, program coordinator of ISU Dining.

In comparison, during the experiment in cities all over the United States, Honest Tea found that 98 percent of customers in Iowa were honest.

The results from the national study in cities all over the United States found that 92 percent of their customers were honest. All 50 states and Washington, D.C., were tested, and 47 of the 50 states had a large enough sample size to determine a value.

Iowa State’s value ranks ninth out of 48 sites, with the highest values coming from Alabama and Hawaii, who had values of 100 percent.

Texas, West Virginia and Washington D.C. were the least honest places in the United States, with values of 87 percent, 85 percent and 80 percent, respectively.

Rutherford said that Honest Tea came to Iowa State through the beverage contract the university has with Coca-Cola.
“[Coca-Cola] presents us with different things that they can bring to campus from time to time,” Rutherford said. “It just kind of comes up sporadically, and this Honest Tea thing happened to be in our area, and they wondered if we wanted to let them come to campus, so we did.”

All the money collected from the experiment will be donated to a charity of Iowa State’s choosing. Rutherford said that the university hopes to decide on a charity by the end of this semester.

Jones said she didn’t expect Iowa State to be dishonest.

Test of Honest Tea: Company tests ISU students' honesty - Iowa State Daily: News

Let us salute auto driver G.R.Ramesh for his honesty!

[FONT=&quot]Honesty on auto mode for this rick driver[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bangalore, Nov 11, 2013, DHNS:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The City police on Monday felicitated auto driver G R Ramesh and recommended him for the letter of appreciation, for his honest act of promptly returning the articles left behind in his vehicle by a passenger. These included a laptop, a few documents, cash, debit card and smart phone. [/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Danis Hussein, a resident of Jayanagar 9th Block and channel manager with a private health care firm, hired Ramesh’s auto to the Satellite Bus Station, as he was to leave for Mysore, on Saturday morning. Hussein, however, alighted at South End Circle when he noticed a teenager thrashing a boy and interceded to stop it.

This escaped Ramesh’s attention, who realised that Hussein was not in his auto only after reaching the bus stand. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In the meantime, Hussein was busy trying to trace the auto and was planning to lodge a police complaint. Ramesh, after waiting for an hour and a half for Hussein at the Satellite Bus Station, returned to the auto stand. On hearing Hussein’s story from fellow automen, Ramesh chose to personally visit Hussein at his house to hand over the items.
Hussein then took him to the police station and narrated the incident to the cops, who commended Ramesh’s honesty.

Tumkur resident

The auto driver, a father of two daughters, and a resident of 2nd main, Upparalli, Tumkur, commutes to Bangalore every day and plies the auto for a living. One of his daughters recently earned her Bachelors of Computer Applications and the other is a second year BCom student.[/FONT]
Honesty on auto mode for this rick driver

Another honest Sikh driver in Canada!Let us salute Cabbie Sarjinder Singh's honesty and integrity!

Vancouver cabbie's honesty overcomes 10,000 reasons to stay silent

[FONT=&quot]Vancouver cabbie's honesty overcomes 10,000 reasons to stay silent[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]By The Canadian Press November 13, 2013 [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]VANCOUVER - It could have been a $10,000 tip, but a Vancouver cab driver is being praised for reuniting a forgetful fare with a very precious package.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Cabbie Sarjinder Singh knew exactly what to do when a passenger handed over an envelope that had been lying on the seat of Singh's cab and Singh realized it was stuffed with a wad of bills.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He was certain the money belonged to a passenger he had just dropped at another Vancouver address, so he returned to that building and tracked the man down.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Singh says the man was overjoyed and offered him a $1,000 reward, which the cabbie refused, insisting he was only doing his job.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]He adds his colleagues are honest, hardworking and family-oriented, and just want a little more appreciation.

[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Although he's not any richer, Singh is basking in the praise from his boss, who says cab drivers don't get enough recognition for the positive things they do. (News1130)[/FONT]

How do we cultivate honesty and integrity in organizations...By being assertive...Read this

How To Make Your Organization More Honest

How important is it for employees and leaders to have honesty and integrity? In a recent study I asked thousands of leaders working in a state government to rank, in terms of importance, a group of 16 differentiating leadership competencies. These included behaviors such as drives for results, inspires and motivates others, innovates, and technical/professional expertise. The number one competency ranked by these leaders as most important was “displays high integrity and honesty.” In our global data set of more than 700,000 raters it was rated as the second most important competency.

Most people consider themselves to be honest, but what could help a leader make the transition from good to unmistakably great? How does an honest leader become extremely honest?

Most would assume the only way to improve in this category is to be “more honest”. Yet honest leaders are already meeting the criteria of not telling lies or cheating. The problem is that when honest leaders set a goal of being more honest they can’t think of any additional things they can do to improve.

To solve this, I looked at 18,211 leaders to determine what the most honest leaders did that enabled them to be perceived as more honest. What I found was that leaders who ranked at the 90th percentile in honesty utilized other specific behaviors that significantly enhanced the perceptions of their integrity as well.

We called these behaviors “companion competencies.” The companion competency enhanced the honesty of the leader and allowed others to view them as having a strength. One of the companion competencies is assertiveness. An assertive leader is a leader that is willing to assert themselves, and to take chances and act in bold ways.

For example, you probably know a leader who is honest but not assertive. Being assertive does not necessarily make a leader more honest. Consider a situation where a leader is in a meeting where a group of people are discussing plans to increase sales in a foreign country. A colleague sitting next to the leader comes up with an idea and says, “I think we ought to offer bribes to those who are in charge of purchasing.” After the colleague states their idea the leader thinks to himself, “That is highly unethical – someone ought to say something.” But no one speaks up about the fact that this is unacceptable and unethical behavior. The competency that helped the leader identify the suggestion as unethical was honesty and integrity, but the competency that helps a leader to stand up and disagree with the suggestion out loud is assertiveness. A leader who is both honest and assertive is perceived as being much more honest. The combination of honesty and assertiveness is what we call a powerful combination and is, in short, a way that a good leader can transition to great.

To more clearly illustrate the relationship between honesty and assertiveness more clearly we conducted research to create the chart below. We measured the assertiveness of leaders as illustrated within the following five groups, with the bottom 10% the least assertive and the top 10% the most assertive. Note that the least assertive leaders were also perceived as least honest while those who were most assertive were perceived to be at the 85th percentile in terms of their honesty as well.

http://b-i.forbesimg.com/joefolkman/files/2013/11/Screen-Shot-2013-11-19-at-2.13.43-PM.png
Assertiveness is one of the eight behaviors that help leaders move from good to great in displaying high honesty and integrity. The good news is you don’t need to be perfect in every category–in fact, you can just work on two of competencies at a time to turn their combined benefits into an unmistakable strength. And as we’ve illustrated, every individual and organization can benefit greatly from increasing the level of honesty and integrity they illustrate in their every day work

How To Make Your Organization More Honest - Forbes

Wow! Thanksgiving takes different forms!

Honesty earns homeless man free Omni Hotel stay as thank you | 11alive.com

ATLANTA - A homeless man sought by the manager of the Omni Hotel checked in for a free stay at the hotel Friday night.

Manager Scott Stuckey said he's going to have free food, room service and $500 cash waiting for him. Stuckey wanted to thank the man for turning in a stolen wallet earlier this month that he found when going through a trash can.

Atlanta police confirmed the wallet was stolen from a French visitor earlier this month. Stuckey said the homeless man visited several hotels looking for the woman whose name was on the ID in the wallet. He turned it in at the Omni when he learned the woman was staying there.

Wanting to find the man, Stuckey spent several days combing the streets with a picture of him.

"I think if you look at the Thanksgiving holiday and how fortunate all of us are, there's just some people who are going through tough times and obviously we'd love to do something for him," Stuckey said Friday afternoon on a walk through Centennial Park.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back