• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Let us value honesty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do we wish to tell the truth..Does caffeine addiction play a role..May be for the Tambrahms

Coffee: Cup o' ethics

4/2/2014

Coffee%20Cup%20720x405.jpg

Go ahead and have that extra cup of java– it might just help you act ethically at work.

Caffeine could help sleep-deprived workers resist unethical influence from higher-ups, according to research by business professors at the University of Washington, the University of Arizona and the University of North Carolina.

Lack of sleep can lead to unethical behavior in the workplace, they have found, but the equivalent of a large cup of coffee can help sleep-deprived employees bolster their ability to control their behavior and resist unethical temptations, according to their new study published in the Journal of Applied Psychology.

“When you’re sleep deprived at work, it’s much easier to simply go along with unethical suggestions from your boss because resistance takes effort and you’re already worn down,” said David Welsh, an organizational behavior professor at the University of Washington. “However, we found that caffeine can give sleep-deprived individuals the extra energy needed to resist unethical behavior.”

“Our research shows that sleep deprivation contributes to unethical behavior at work by making you more susceptible to social influences, such as a boss who tells you to do something deceptive or unethical,” said Michael Christian, an organizational behavior professor at UNC Kenan-Flagler Business School. “Caffeine can help you resist by strengthening your self-control and willpower when you’re exhausted.”

Christian, Welsh and co-authors Aleksander P. J. Ellis and Ke Michael Mai of the Eller College of Management at the University of Arizona published their findings in the article “Building a Self-Regulatory Model of Sleep Deprivation and Deception: The Role of Caffeine and Social Influence.”

They built on Christian's and Ellis's earlier research which shows that the lack of sleep depletes a person’s ability to regulate thoughts emotions, and behaviors and increases unethical acts.

“Employers need to be recognize that today’s employees are working longer hours and getting less sleep,” said Welsh. “Establishing an ethical code of conduct might not be sufficient if employees are too worn down to align their behavior with organizational

What might businesses do to help tired workers avoid these ethical lapses? The researchers suggests that firms could:

• Provide caffeine in the workplace
  • Reduce long hours with scheduling, overtime restrictions and frequent breaks
  • Avoid scheduling tasks that require a great deal of self-control when looming deadlines make long hours unavoidable
  • Provide workplace napping and sleep awareness training

“We need to develop awareness about the negative effects of sleep deprivation,” Christian said. “Cultures can reinforce the myth that working hard and working well involves not sleeping, but our research shows yet again that sleep deprivation isn’t good for the individual or the organization.”

6 Sneaky Tricks To Make Someone Tell The Truth

Published on Sunday, 29 June 2014

“CROSS your heart and hope to die." It sounds childish, but asking someone to place a hand on his heart while answering your questions could result in more truthful answers, finds a new study from Poland.

Because your mind associates the gesture with morality and forthrightness, touching your ticker primes your brain for truth-telling, explains study coauthor Michał Parzuchowski, Ph.D. But be warned: Parzuchowski says he doubts this tactic would work if you try it on someone who’s motivated to lie—like a lover who you suspect may be fooling around. It’s more useful in situations when someone might be tempted to lie or cheat, but isn’t that motived to bluff you, he adds. (For example: You ask your roommate if he took your dog to the park, or just around the block.)

Here are five more ways to coax the truth out of someone:

Ask in a text.

People tend to respond more honestly in texts than in verbal phone conversations, shows a study from the University of Michigan. The researchers hypothesize that, since you don’t have to hear the emotional consequences of your honesty—like your friend’s disappointment when you tell him you can’t make his bachelor party—you’re more likely to be forthright over a text.

Take money off the table.

When people are exposed to cash or finance-related words, they’re up to 46 percent more likely to lie than if they’re primed with language unrelated to money, shows a study from Harvard and Penn. If you’re trying to drag straight answers out of an employee or coworker, shift his mind away from financial considerations. Talk about his long tenure with your company, how much fun you both have hanging out with coworkers—anything to get his mind off the dollars and cents of the matter, the research suggests.

Spritz a little cleaner.

You behave more honestly in clean-smelling environments, according to research from Brigham Young University. All the scientists had to do was spray a little lemon-scented Windex in the experiment room, and honesty jumped up to 90 percent among people asked to divide up some cash between themselves and someone else.

Shine a light.

You're less inclined to lie or act unethically in bright spaces, as opposed to dark rooms, shows research from Taiwan. How come? Your brain equates light with openness and honesty. And when a room is brightly lit, you feel like your thoughts and actions are exposed, the study authors explain. As a result, you’re 35 percent more likely to behave honestly.

Make him go the distance.

When soldiers were told they’d earn an extra 30 minutes of leave on a Thursday evening for every point they scored in game of dice, they were much more likely to cheat on a Wednesday or a Thursday—as opposed to a Monday, reveals an Israeli study. Whatever motivates someone to cheat—whether it’s money, power, or sex—putting “temporal distance" (a.k.a. more time) between the lie and the payoff reduces the likelihood of dishonest behavior. If you want honest answers, try to widen the time gap between when you ask your questions and the possible payoff of a dishonest answer, the study suggests.

- Men’s Health
How to Get the Truth | Men's Health

Last edited:
How many such letters on honesty are being sent to the Editors?

[h=1]Two great examples of honesty, helpfulness in Port Perry[/h]
Port Perry Star

To the editor:

Not just once but twice last week I was impressed with people’s honesty.

On June 26, a gentleman brought into our real estate office in downtown Port Perry an iPhone that somebody had left sitting on a bench. He didn’t know what to do with it so he brought it into us. Within a short time we were able to track down the owner.

A short while later a lady came into our office and said there was a wallet that had been left sitting on a rock ledge, but she didn’t want to touch it. I went across the road and retrieved the wallet and thanked the couple for their honesty. After going through the wallet I was able to track down the owner.

She was extremely grateful as all of her identification and a fair amount of cash was in it.

It gives you such a warm feeling to be part of such a great community. Can’t say enough good things about people who live and visit our special little town.

Karen Marko

Port Perry

Two great examples of honesty, helpfulness in Port Perry

Let us salute the Dubai based cleaner Tasleema Hassan Ali for the honesty!

Cleaner finds Dh100,000 in Dubai mall, gives it to police - Emirates 24/7

Cleaner finds Dh100,000 in Dubai mall, gives it to police
Sunday, July 06, 2014

A female cleaner stumbled across a woman’s bag containing Dh100,000 while she was cleaning the toilets at a shopping mall in Dubai.

The woman immediately went straight to the police and handed them the money.

Dubai police later honoured Tasleema Hassan Ali in recognition for her honesty and commitment, according to local newspapers.

“I call on the public to cooperate with the police and to preserve items which could be forgotten by many people in various places.

This will serve security in this good country,” she said, quoted by Emarat Al Youm daily.

Let us salute Shabbir Bahai Fakhr Al Deen for his honesty!

Dubai Police honour man for returning bag with 50,000 riyals

20 July 2014

Dubai: Al Rashidiya police station in Dubai honoured Shabbir Bahai Fakhr Al Deen for his honesty as he handed over 50,000 Saudi riyals (Dh489,681) he found to the police.

Colonel Khalid Mohammad Ahmad Al Suhool, Director of Al Rashidiya police station, awarded Fakhr Al Deen, to emphasise the importance of the collaboration between the community and police.

In recognition of this ethical conduct, honesty and good behavior, Fakhr Al Deen was awarded a certificate of appreciation and a gift.

Also present were Lieutenant Mohammad Abdullah Al Ganem, Head of the Office of Quality Assurance, and a representative from Majid Bin Qitara Construction Materials Company, where Fakhr Al Deen works.

It was not immediately clear who was the rightful owner of the cash. Nor was it clear what's Fakhr Al Deen's job or nationality.

Dubai Police honour man for returning bag with 50,000 riyals | GulfNews.com

Does change of shift make a honest person dishonest..I do not think so

'Morning people' less moral at night

Press Trust of India | London July 21, 2014

Early risers are more likely to cheat and behave unethically in the night hours, scientists, including one of Indian-origin, have found.

Researchers have found that early-rising "larks" and late-night "owls" had different levels of honesty depending on the time of day.

The study, by Sunita Sah, research fellow at Harvard University in the US, and colleagues examined the behaviour of almost 200 people - with the subjects taking part in problem-solving tests and games without realising that it was their honesty that was being measured.

The study examined the relationship between ethical decision making and people's "chronotype" - which is when individuals are most likely to want to be asleep or when they have more energy.

It found a significant link between people being more likely to be honest when it fitted in with their chronotype, 'BBC News' reported.

This meant that the early-rising "larks" were more ethical in the morning - and the "owls" were more likely to be honest at night.

Researchers found that the level of dishonesty was found to be heightened when people were outside of their preferred time of day.

In the morning, evening people are more unethical than morning people, the study found.

The research was carried out by academics at Johns Hopkins University and the University of Washington, and Sah is an assistant professor of business ethics at Georgetown University as well as a research fellow at Harvard.

Sah said the findings have major implications for workplaces relying on ethical decisions and honesty - particularly where there are shift patterns.

'Morning people' less moral at night | Business Standard News

Let us salute the honesty of Rasheed Pericheri for the undiluted honesty displayed in a foreign shore!

UAE: Indian returns lost purse filled with money
IANS
Jul 29, 2014

Dubai: In a heartening show of honesty, an Indian expatriate returned a purse containing 25,000 dirhams (around $6,800) and vital documents to an Italian woman who lost it on the roadside in the United Arab Emirates (UAE), media reported.

Rasheed Pericheri, 36, took it upon himself to return the lost purse that he came across on a pavement in the UAE's capital Abu Dhabi to the rightful owner, Emirates 24/7 reported on Tuesday.

The purse contained several credit cards, 500 dirham notes and other documents.

Pericheri, in his search for the owner, managed to get the contact details through the driving licence from the UAE's traffic department.

Pericheri later found out that the purse belonged to an Italian expatriate, Elvira, whose husband was recovering from a heart attack.

"When I called her (Elvira) to inform her that I had found the purse, with the money, she began crying," the report quoted Pericheri as saying.

"She said a big thank you and gave me some money also as a gesture of gratitude," he added.

Elvira said she failed to find her purse when she returned to the road after she lost it.

She also lodged a complaint with the police.

"I was carrying 25,000 dirhams to buy three tickets for me and my two sons to fly to Italy. My husband, an engineer in Abu Dhabi, had a heart attack and we had to repatriate him to Italy," Elvira said.

"He has still not recovered and is in a coma. I am so grateful to Rasheed, who took the pain to track me down and hand over the purse," she added.

UAE: Indian returns lost purse filled with money - IBNLive

Last edited:
Let us appreciate the honesty of the hotel staff Norashimah Abdul Razak in Malaysia!

Published: Friday August 8, 2014

[h=2]Honest hotel staff returns RM100,000 to owner[/h]

MALACCA: Brought up by a military-trained father who values integrity over self-interest, hotel staff Norashimah Abdul Razak did not hesitate to return a bag full of money – with Australian currency worth close to RM100,000 – back to its owner.

The 72-year-old hotel guest had left the bag in the safe in his room and checked out without realising he had left the bag behind.
The Australian was on his way to Kuala Lumpur yesterday when the hotel management contacted him. Only then did he realise he had left his bag behind at Hotel Equatorial here.

The hotel management then arranged an appreciation event for Norashimah and awarded her an exclusive plaque for her honesty.
Norashimah, 30, an assistant front office manager, said her soldier father had taught her that taking things that belonged to someone else was a sin.

Relating the events before the bag was returned to its owner, she said after the guest left in the morning, she entered his room to make a check and saw the bag in the safe.

She immediately sensed it contained a lot of money and quickly informed her superiors about the find. She later found out that the bag contained notes amounting to A$30,000 (RM89,510).

“My dad’s rule of thumb is to never take anyone’s belongings and respect those who are elder, regardless of their race.

“My father’s advice crossed my mind and I told myself to refrain from any temptation to take the money,” she said when interviewed.
Norashimah, the eldest of six siblings, said her retired military father had planted the right attributes in his children.

“Dad imparted all the right values in us and we were always reminded to respect everyone,” she said.

The guest, who returned to the hotel to get his bag, said he was in Malaysia for a holiday.

“I am extremely thankful. God bless honest Malaysians,” he said.

Hotel general manager Adrian Chung said he was proud that his staff had manifested such high integrity,

Let us appreciate Umar Khan of Pakistan for his honesty! Returning 1 crore Rupees is really wonderful!

KP Police officer sets unique example of honesty

August 12, 2014

PESHAWAR: A Police officer in Khyber Pakhtoonkhwa (KP) has returned Rs. 10million to the bank after he founded it on the road. According to details, Umar Khan, a Traffic Police constable in KP has founded Rs.10million on the road.

Khan founded the bag while was performing his duties as a van using to carry cash dropped the bag accidentally. Van driver and other persons onboard were unaware from the situation.

After founding the bag, Pakistani Police officer returned the bag to its original custodians.

“Umar Khan did a great job and earned a lot of respect not only for himself but the whole KP Police department and the people of the province”, said Inspector General Police (IGP) Nasir Khan Durrani.

According to the PakistanTribe.com, Umar Khan has been promoted to the position of Inspector.

“No one was aware about the incident and it was easy for me to use the money but I preferred to return the bag as it is my duty”, said Umar Khan while talking to the media in IG Police office.

KP Police officer sets unique example of honesty | The News Tribe

Dear Vgane Ji,

Some time back a patient had left his mobile phone in the clinic.

So I kept it and hoping he would come back to ask for it.
Meanwhile I went tru the phone to look thru some numbers I could call to tell them to pass the message to the patient to come take his phone.

I tried calling a number which I assume was his wife(cos there was some loving words in front of her name)...but no one answered.

Then after 2 hours the patient called his phone using a pay phone and I told him I am having his phone and come take it.

Ok now is the best part..his wife called the phone which was with me and I answered a Hello and before I could tell her who I was ..she became rather uneasy and raised her voice in a surprised and demanding to know tone...almost sounding rude.

She said loudly"WHO ARE YOU?"

I said "Your husband left his phone in the clinic and he is on the way to take it and I am the doctor"

Then she calmed down and said 'Oh" and put the phone down.

I think she panicked wondering which female answered her husbands phone!LOL

I was wondering why she didnt even feel like saying Thank You for keeping his phone!

Dear Vgane Ji,

Some time back a patient had left his mobile phone in the clinic.

So I kept it and hoping he would come back to ask for it.
Meanwhile I went tru the phone to look thru some numbers I could call to tell them to pass the message to the patient to come take his phone.

I tried calling a number which I assume was his wife(cos there was some loving words in front of her name)...but no one answered.

Then after 2 hours the patient called his phone using a pay phone and I told him I am having his phone and come take it.

Ok now is the best part..his wife called the phone which was with me and I answered a Hello and before I could tell her who I was ..she became rather uneasy and raised her voice in a surprised and demanding to know tone...almost sounding rude.

She said loudly"WHO ARE YOU?"

I said "Your husband left his phone in the clinic and he is on the way to take it and I am the doctor"

Then she calmed down and said 'Oh" and put the phone down.

I think she panicked wondering which female answered her husbands phone!LOL

I was wondering why she didnt even feel like saying Thank You for keeping his phone!

Renukaji,

The big question is whether the man who lost the phone thanked you for returning his phone

As far as his wife is concerned, this is quite natural as she would be concerned why a lady is answering

We have all faced it in some form or other!LOL!!

This is really good...Our US based folks should be happy with this

Honesty on the Rise in the United States: National Social Experiment Finds 95% of Americans Honest

BETHESDA, Md.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Honest Tea recently conducted a national social experiment called The National Honesty Index, and the results are in. When faced with a choice to be honest or not, the experiment found that a resounding 95% of Americans were honest, up from 92% in 2013.
“The 95% honesty rate that we saw this year suggests that Americans are a lot more honest than we give ourselves credit for.”
From July 16 - August 12, 2014, Honest Tea set up unmanned racks of cold Honest beverages offered for $1 on the honor system in 60 locations across all 50 states & Washington, D.C. At every site, information was collected including the number of people who paid or stole, as well as observable characteristics such as gender and hair color. In a new twist this year, an online component was added to test the honesty of people on the Internet via an honor pact. Through a Facebook application, people were asked to share an inspirational quote on their wall, or not, in return for a coupon. In total, more than 28,000 people participated in person and online.
“We seek to infuse honesty into everything we do from the way we run the company to the organic ingredients we use, so we developed this experiment to see if people around the country share that same value,” said Seth Goldman, co-founder and TeaEO of Honest Tea. “The 95% honesty rate that we saw this year suggests that Americans are a lot more honest than we give ourselves credit for.”

Highlights of the results (Combines both digital and physical experiment data):

• Participants in Honolulu, Hawaii were 100% honest two years in a row.
  • Honesty returns to the nation’s capital as Washington, D.C. becomes the most improved city, rising to 96% honesty, 16 percentage points higher than 2013.
  • Minneapolis, Minn. and Providence, R.I. tie for biggest dip in honesty year over year, dropping 12 percentage points to 81% and 80% respectively.
  • Participants in the online experiment (as determined by authenticating via a Facebook application) were 95% honest. People identifying their relationship status on Facebook as “separated” (100% honest) proved to be more honest than “engaged” (94% honest).
  • Again, women proved to be more honest than men slightly edging them out 95% to 93% honest.

• For the second year in a row, blondes came out as the most honest hair color with 95%. People with black hair were the least honest at 91%.
Most Honest States:
Hawaii 98% Honest
Alabama 98% Honest
Alaska 98% Honest
Tennessee 98% Honest

Least Honest States:
Montana 89% Honest
Idaho 88% Honest
Minnesota 85% Honest
Rhode Island 83% Honest

Complete Honesty Index results are available at www.NationalHonestyIndex.com. Visitors can play a game to challenge their assumptions on honesty, analyze the statistics, and obtain a personalized honesty profile that examines astrological signs, Facebook relationship status, and other details.

Honesty on the Rise in the United States: National Social Experiment Finds 95% of Americans Honest | Business Wire

[h=1]Let us salute the honesty of the RPF cops Kalbande and Mahesh !

Railway cops score on honesty[/h]
Thursday, 4 September 2014 - 5:15am IST | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA

• Girish Vadilal Shah with the RPF personnel

Harshvardhan Kalbande is startled at the noise coming from the staircase at the entrance of Dadar station but rests easy when he sees college kids cracking a joke. Kalbande just returned from a two-day holiday in Amravati, where he resides, to start patrolling the western line. Kalbande is a Railway police Force (RPF) constable who was recently rewarded along with Mahesh P, another RPF constable, for returning a bag containing Rs11.46 lakh to its rightful owner, Girish Vadilal Shah who had lost his bag at Churchgate station.

"We received an alert that a bag has been left on a train and we rushed to the spot. We saw a man with the same bag. I could see he was uncomfortable and sweating profusely.

He was talking to someone on the phone and we told him to turn it off and talk to us. He couldn't answer any of our questions properly and we knew he wasn't the owner of the bag," said Kalbande, who along with Mahesh, handed over the bag to their boss and after an inquiry let the other man go.

The first thought that occurred to them when they got the bag was what if it's a bomb? "We scanned it thoroughly before touching it. When we found out it had cash, I thought it belonged to some poor man who wanted to get his daughter married or someone's life-long savings," said Mahesh P, a resident of Shimoga district in Karnataka, currently stationed at Churchgate. "The amount of praise and reward I received from everyone is more than enough for me."

Mahesh joined the RPF in 2006. Before donning the khakee, he used to teach sports to schoolchildren. "I loved sports as a child and played Basketball and Football at the university and state level. Now, I play for the RPSF team here and we're currently practising for the All India inter-railway Basketball Tournament to be held in Ratlam. We're confident about winning this year," he said. "I came to Mumbai in 2007 and wish for a posting in Karnataka. I have two brothers and five sisters who are married. My mother wants me to get married soon."

Kalbande, on the other hand, will think about marriage after he gets posted near his hometown Amravati in Maharashtra. He joined the RPF in 2007. "When I was in the 6th standard, I had gone to a fair and found a watch. I did not tell anybody about it but I found a policeman and gave it to him thinking that it will reach the right person. Everyone praised me... You feel more interested in doing your work when your family and your department honours you," said Kalbande.

Girish Vadilal Shah is a thankful man. "Even in the generation of kalyug, there are honest people. They performed their duty earnestly, which is very important... I am nothing but grateful," he said.

The next time you find something on a train, you know who to call.

Railway cops score on honesty | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

First one must learn to value the values.Value the honesty comes automatically.

True..Our scriptures talk not just about honesty, but also about compassion, charity, tolerance, respect for parents, Guru & elders, harmony with nature, peace with oneself & others, doing our religious duties, not coveting other man's wife etc..

Good work by the receptionist at Madinah International airport

Madinah airport official lauded for act of honesty

MADINAH: YUSUF MOHAMMED
Published — Tuesday 2 September 2014

A receptionist at the Prince Mohammad International Airport in Madinah has earned the gratitude of pilgrims for his act of honesty.

He found an envelope containing SR2,500 which belonged to an Indian pilgrim who came to perform Haj. The receptionist followed the applicable procedures in such cases, and handed over the envelope with the money to the Lost and Found Office.

The office for pilgrims’ services contacted the Indian Haj Mission to locate the pilgrim.

Madinah airport official lauded for act of honesty | Arab News ? Saudi Arabia News, Middle East News, Opinion, Economy and more.

Appreciate Charles Bice Rina for the honesty!

[h=1] Bank customer prefers honesty than $12,000[/h] Published: 22 August 2014

PRIVATE consultant Charles Bice Rina could have been $12,000 richer without a single sweat.

But the Pan Oceanic Bank customer preferred an honest earning and decided to return the $12,000 he was mistakenly given by a bank teller on Wednesday when he was cashing his cheque.

Mr Rina told the Solomon Star he went to the bank on Wednesday to cash a cheque for $83,667.80.

Back in his office, he counted the cash the teller gave him and realised it was $95, 667. 80

“When I realised it, I told a friend about it and decided I have to return the extra $12,000 back to the bank.

“Rightly, it was their money. If I took it, then that’s stealing,” he said.

Mr Rina said he’s someone who believes in an honest earning.

“I don’t believe in anything you earn without your sweat. You only get satisfaction when you earn something out from your sweat.”

Mr Rina called on Pan Oceanic Bank to open a bigger office space that would allow its workers to perform freely without the pressure from customers.

Receiving the $12,000 cash yesterday, Rose Abana, who heads the bank’s teller division, thanked Mr Rina for his honestly.

“We are happy that we have one honest customer in Mr Rina,” Mrs Abana said.

She admitted the mistake may have been caused by pressure her tellers have been coming under since the bank opened more than a month ago.

“We understand that the teller was very nervous and under pressure from the huge crowd coming into the bank daily,” Mrs Abana said.

By SOLOMON LOFANA

Bank customer prefers honesty than $12,000 - Solomon Star

Appreciate the honest act of David Kalonga

Honesty pays off for car guard

• South Africa
  • Friday 22 August 2014

PIETERMARITZBURG - What would you do if you found R15,000 in a bag in a shopping trolley at a mall?

A KwaZulu-Natal car guard simply returned the money to its owner and attracted the attention of more than 20 potential employers in the process.

David Kalonga (23) has been employed by a risk and asset management company and the job offers haven't stopped coming.

Zimbabwean national Kalonga has been a car guard at the Edendale Mall in Pietermaritzburg for the past three months, earning an average R100 a day on tips.

But last week -- as he cleared the parking lot of trolleys -- he found a bag containing R15,000.

Kalonga insists honesty is his life and this incident will only make his family proud.

"To be honest is right, to be honest all the time and so they are thanking me for what I have done," he said.

As the news spread, Kalonga's good deeds have also earned him a new job.

But for the man who thought he'd lost his money, Kalonga was a godsend.

In a short statement, the man however declined an interview fearing reprisal at work as this was company money .

Kalonga has been recruited as a logistics worker with a risk and asset management company and says he'll be keeping his first salary for his mother and siblings back home.

http://www.enca.com/honesty-pays-car-guard

Last edited:
[h=1]
Really a good work by the casual worker John Mba in Ghana who has not coveted the money found but returned it! Appreciate him sincerely!

Casual worker rewarded with €1,000 for his honesty[/h]

For his high sense of honesty, a casual worker of the Ghana Ports and Habours Authority (GPHA), Mr John Mba, has been presented with 1,000 euros and also made a permanent staff of the Dock Labour Company.

He has also been named as an Integrity Ambassador, who would spearhead an integrity campaign by the GPHA, aimed at eliminating bad practices at the Tema Port.

Mr Mba, according to the Director of Marketing and Public Relations of Tema Port, Mr Paul Asare Ansah, returned 1,700 Euros he found at the Golden Jubilee Terminal while carting goods for a client.

"But instead of taking away the money, an option that many people in need in these trying times would choose, Mr Mba handed over the money to the port security officials who then handed it over to management," Mr Ansah said.

More than one-and-half years after the amount was found, Mr Ansah said no individual or company had come to claim it hence the decision to give the 1,000 euros to Mr Mba.

He also said the authority had presented the remaining €700 of the amount to the Remar Christian Centre as the payment of a year’s tuition fees for 34 needy children at the school.

"The act of honesty displayed by Mr Mba falls in line with our business integrity initiative programme being rolled out with the aim of addressing the issues of extortion and corruption within our two ports," Mr Ansah emphasised.

He added that the GPHA believed that the campaign would rid the ports of bad practices and further reduce corruption at the ports.

He said he was hopeful that the example set by Mr Mba would be emulated by the other employees and clients in the day-to-day operations at the port.

Casual worker rewarded with ?1,000 for his honesty | General News 2014-08-29

Truly honest act! Salute Mang Lumie Boc and Ted Quintana

[h=1]Honesty pays off for 2 hard-working Pinoys[/h]by Patrick Quintos, ABS-CBNnews.com

Posted at 09/08/2014 2:11 AM

MANILA - At a time when news on crime and corruption dominate the headlines, it is hard to ignore the acts of honest people, especially those who are earning just enough for a day's living.

Indeed, it is hard to ignore the story of Iluminado ''Mang Lumie'' Boc, who earns just around P200 a day, driving a tricycle he does not even own in the city of Tagbilaran in Bohol.

It was in June 2007 when Mang Lumie's wife was ill in the hospital and his earnings were not enough to pay for the bill--let alone the remainder of the payments for their house-- when someone who boarded his tricycle and left a black envelope.

Going home, Mang Lumie opened the envelope and discovered some $17,000 inside, or more than P800,000.

At first, Mang Lumie thought of keeping the money so he can pay the hospital bill and finally purchase his own tricycle.

However, he knew his conscience would not let him sleep if he did that. So Mang Lumie went to the nearest police station where the authorities found inside the envelope the calling card of its owner, who turned out to be a seaman.

In gratitude, the seaman rewarded him P1,500, which Mang Lumie immediately used to pay for the hospital bill.

News about Mang Lumie's honesty spread around the town until it finally reached the local government, which not only gave him P10,000, but also his own brand new tricycle.

GUARD RETURNS P35K

Another act of honesty worth of recognition is that of Tacloban's Trinidad ''Ted'' Quintana, who worked as a security guard in a mall in Metro Manila.

Ted, a criminology graduate, was fresh out of college when he went to Manila to work and review while waiting for his board exams.

He recalled that fateful day when he found a bag left in one of the tables in the mall's food court.

Instead of peeking inside, Ted immediately turned the bag over to his superiors who discovered around P35,000 cash and more than P2 million worth of signed checks inside it.

The large amount of money would find its way back to its owner, and Ted's act of honesty would not be ignored.

Ted got a reward of P10,000 which enabled him to send money back to his mom in Tacloban.

The news about Ted's honesty would also reach the government of Leyte, which would not only give him rewards in cash, but also a hire him as a jail warden in the provincial jail.

Because of his honesty, Ted was able to fulfill his promise to his mom of a better life.

Honesty pays off for 2 hard-working Pinoys | ABS-CBN News

Let us appreciate the honesty of Jennifer Atanacio!

Honesty pays off for cop from Bohol

By Davinci S. Maru

Wednesday, October 8, 2014

IMAGINE if you find a bundle of P100,000. Will you keep the money or return it?

SPO1 Jennifer Atanacio of the Bohol Provincial Police Office (BPPO) found herself in a similar situation, but it never crossed her mind to keep the money.

“Without hesitation, I returned it. I even didn’t expect it will be received like this,” she said.

The story of Atanacio is a welcome break amid the issues of anomalies and abuse of power hounding the Philippine National Police.

She was among the 18 police officers and the only policewoman who were recognized yesterday by Police Director General Alan Purisima at the Police Regional Office 7 for their exemplary acts and performance against crimes.

Atanacio, who has been in police service for 11 years, is assistant chief of BPPO’s Police Community Relations.

Unexpected find

She took out a loan last Sept. 3. She received more than P100,000 cash from the Armed Forces and Police Savings and Loan Association Inc. (AFPSLAI), a private, non-stock and non-profit savings and loan association of soldiers, police officers and firefighters.

Atanacio was supposed to deposit the money in her bank account, but opted to go home instead.

The money was released at 4 p.m. and the bank’s cut-off time was at 3 p.m.

While she was recounting the cash at home, to decide how much she would keep and how much she would deposit, she noticed another bundle of P100,000 inside the brown envelope.

Atanacio went back to the AFPSLAI in Tagbilaran the next day and returned the money.

Yesterday, Atanacio received the Medalya ng Papuri (PNP Commendation Medal) for her honesty and goodwill, serving as the epitome of values-oriented police personnel.

Kanang kwarta makit-an raman gud na, pero imong konsensiya imo manang dad-on hangtod mamatay ka (Money you can always earn, but you carry your conscience with you until the day you die),” the 41-year-old policewoman said when asked by reporters if she was ever tempted to keep the money.

Background

Atanacio grew up in Barangay Poblacion, Trinidad, Bohol. She is a registered nurse, but wasn’t able to find work immediately.

Her father, a retired police officer, encouraged her to try his profession.

In 2001, she entered police service.

“Basin para gyud nako ni kay dritso-dritso naman dayon ko nakasulod (Maybe this was my calling since I got in easily),” she said.

She has been assigned in different towns in Bohol and has received awards, including one for the best policewoman in 2005.

She is married to Supt. Jovito Atanacio, chief of BPPO’s Provincial Intelligence Branch. They have a 17-year-old son.

Atanacio didn’t expect to be recognized this way, especially by Purisima, because she didn’t tell everyone about what happened.

Wala ra gyud to nako. Hinaut unta nga sundon pud sa uban (I thought nothing of it. I just hope others will follow my example),” she said.

Atanacio only came to Cebu to accept the award. She left again for Bohol at 2 p.m. to go back to work.
http://www.sunstar.com.ph/cebu/local-news/2014/10/08/honesty-pays-cop-bohol-369817

Last edited:
Please salute the waiter Sairin for his honesty!

Honesty reward enough for Myanmar waiter who returned B1m

Published: 24 Sep 2014

He didn’t get rich, but a waiter from Myanmar
can at least rest easy knowing he did the honest thing when he returned a bag containing a million baht to customers at his Chiang Mai restaurant. La Namu, nicknamed Sairin by his Thai co-workers, was clearing a table at Phet Doi Ngam restaurant in Muang district on Tuesday when he found a brown leather bag left by an elderly Thai couple, Khao Sod Online reported Wednesday.

Mr Namu said he grabbed the bag and tried to run after the couple's car to alert them, but failed to catch up. He said he didn't open the bag, but believed it must have contained money and valuables, as.it was quite heavy

The waiter then gave the bag to restaurant owner Kaesarapan Petchsri, who opened it to search for the owner's contact information. But all she found were stacks of banknotes worth more than one million baht...

Mrs Kaesarapan said the couple returned to the restaurant shortly after, looking panicked. But they were very happy after getting their money back

The customers counted the cash and agreed it was all there. They then gave the young waiter a wai to thank him for his honesty.

In gratitude for returning much more than what many Myanmar nationals can
hope to earn in about five years, the wealthy couple gave him 1,000 baht, or one-tenth of 1% of the sum returned.

Mrs Kaesarapan said the couple thanked the restaurant and rushed out, leaving her no
time to ask for their names. They only told her they were businesspeople from Bangkok.

Honesty reward enough for Myanmar waiter who returned B1m | Bangkok Post: news

A good initiative by Dr T.S.Rao..Let each child be given a copy of the book "Think Big"

On national integration, honesty and punctuality

Think Big’ book released in Vijayawada. Book author Dr. T.S. Rao said about 55 books were scripted so far and many volumes were written on developing child psychology. The new book will bring great change among children and help them to achieve their goals, said Dr. Rao.

Navajeevan Bala Bhavan student Harika and SKCV student G. Pradeep released the book ‘Think Big’ here on Thursday. The book was authored by noted psychologist and Counselling Psychologists Association State president Dr. T.S. Rao.

Speaking on the occasion, noted doctor Dr. G. Samaram said students should be trained on good habits, politeness and patriotism. ‘Think Book’ is a good manuscript which explained the students on national integration, honesty, punctuality, good food habits, maintaining good health and other topics for students, Mr. Samaram said.

Book author Dr. T.S. Rao said about 55 books were scripted so far and many volumes were written on developing child psychology. The new book will bring great change among children and help them to achieve their goals, said Dr. Rao.

N.V.V.S.V. Prasad, to whom the book was dedicated, said that ‘Think Big’ should be translated into other languages for the convenience of children of other states. He thanked Dr. Rao for writing the book on children.

On national integration, honesty and punctuality - The Hindu

Keep up the good work "Claretian Missionary Fathers"! A stellar initiative indeed!

A school shop that teaches the value of honesty

TNN

//http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/City/Madurai/A-school-shop-that-teaches-the-value-of-honesty/articleshow/44808486.cms

Oct 14, 2014, 05.52 AM IST

MADURAI: Having successfully experimented 'Honesty Shop' in one of its rural schools for almost a decade, the management of a private school here has extended the venture to their city school.

Honesty shop is a set up where school children are left to pick edibles or stationery items on their own and drop the money in coin boxes without anyone to monitor. Claretian Missionary Fathers (CMF) - a Catholic religious congregation - running St Claret Higher Sec School in Karumathur in district launched this initiative named 'Nermaiyalar Kadai' (Honesty Shop) in 2004, an idea that was conceived by one of their members Fr Anselmus. In a decade's time, the shop has created lot of impact in local society and a comprehensive study was done on that model by the congregation.

With satisfactory results, the initiative was extended to St John's Matriculation Higher Secondary School run by the congregation at Kochadai in the city. Chief education officer, Angelo Irudayasamy inaugurated the shop on the school premises on Monday.

Addressing the gathering, he said that honesty has to become the best policy for everyone especially for students. If one is truthful, they can win the world. In spite of painful experiences, truth always triumphs, he told the student community. He appreciated the school for taking such novel initiative.

"In our 10 years' experiment, we found that the honesty shop has shaped many students of our school to be honest in life. There are many examples where our old students upheld the virtue of honesty," said Fr A Soosaimanickam, headmaster of St Claret School also holding charge as correspondent of St John's School.

Besides, the model was elaborately discussed in International Claretian Educators Congress held in Bangalore where delegates of the congregation from 27 countries participated. "During the meeting, it was decided to extend this initiative across all 35 schools run by Claretian Missionaries in India," said Fr S Jerome, principal of St John's School.

As of now, the Honesty Shop has been started for Classes 12 and 10 and the school will expand such shops for all classes in coming weeks, he said. Every class will be given a basket of edible items and stationery items with price tags and coin boxes. At the end of day, accounts will be verified and deficit will be marked by student representatives. A staff in-charge of these shops will collate weekly deficits preparing honesty meter of each class and school.

Principal will review the weekly honesty meter and counsel students when deficit goes up from particular class, Jerome explained. "On the launch day, we did not get any deficit but surplus from many classes," he said.

B Shalini, a Class 12 student said, "We are really excited about this shop introduced in our class. We believe that it will inculcate the value of honesty among us and honesty is always best policy."

Last edited:
Well done! Kannan

பயணி தவறவிட்ட பையுடன் நகை, பணம்: மீட்டுக் கொடுத்த ஆட்டோ ஓட்டுநருக்கு பாராட்டு

சென்னை பெருங்களத்தூரில் பயணி தவறவிட்ட நகை, பணம் இருந்த பையை மீட்டுக் கொடுத்த ஆட்டோ ஓட்டுநரை போலீஸார் பாராட்டினர்.

இது குறித்து போலீஸ் தரப்பில் கூறப்பட்டதாவது:

பெருங்களத்தூர் கட்டபொம்மன் தெருவைச் சேர்ந்தவர் கண்ணன் (41). இவர் ஆட்டோ ஓட்டி வருகிறார். இந்நிலையில் பெருங்களத்தூர் ஆட்டோ நிறுத்தத்துக்கு கண்ணன் வியாழக்கிழமை காலை வந்தார்.
அப்போது அங்கு கேட்பாரற்றுக் கிடந்த ஒரு பை பார்த்து அவர் அதிர்ச்சியடைந்தார். உடனே அந்த பையை கண்ணன் மீட்டு, பீர்க்கன்கரணை காவல் நிலையத்தில் ஒப்படைத்தார். இதற்கிடையே திருச்சி மன்னார்புரத்தைச் சேர்ந்த நிலோபர், பீர்க்கன்கரணை காவல் நிலையத்தில் ஒரு புகார் அளித்தார்.
அதில், தான் திருச்சியில் இருந்து ஆம்னி பேருந்து மூலம் வியாழக்கிழமை காலை சென்னை வந்ததாகவும், பெருங்களத்தூரில் இறங்கிய தான் ஒரு ஆட்டோ மூலம் பாலவாக்கம் சென்றதாகவும், ஆட்டோவில் ஏறும்போது தான் ஒரு பையைத் தவறவிட்டதாகவும், அந்த பையில் 50 பவுன் நகையும், ரூ.2.47 லட்சம் பணமும் இருந்ததாகவும் குறிப்பிட்டிருந்தார்.

Source: ???? ???????? ??????? ???, ????: ???????? ??????? ????? ???????????? ???????? - Dinamani - Tamil Daily News

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back