• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Let us value honesty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let us salute Home Guard Shivaranjini for her honesty!

MYSORE POLICE HONOUR HONEST HOME GUARD

image.asp

Caption: City Police Commissioner Dr. M.A. Saleem is seen presenting an Appreciation Certificate to Home Guard Shivaranjini at his office this morning as her husband Munesh (extreme left), K.R. Traffic Inspector N.C. Nagegowda and DCP M.M. Mahadevaiah look on.

Mysore, Mar. 7- “For us, honesty is our only asset…” said Home Guard Shivaranjini, who was instrumental in a businessman from Mandya yesterday getting back his lost bag containing Rs. 5 lakh cash, two mobile phones and some documents.

Speaking after being felicitated by the City Police at a programme held at the City Police Commissioner’s Office this morning, Shivaranjini said, “I come from a poor family. But I have no desire for other’s wealth. On seeing the anxious Manjunath (the businessman) frantically making enquiries about his bag, I imagined what might have gone through the minds of the person who lost his hard-earned money.”

She further said, “The contentment I felt upon seeing the smile of gratitude on the countenance of Manjunath when he got back his money was more valuable than the money itself. My parents, husband and colleagues too are happy for what I did.”

City Police Commissioner Dr. M.A. Saleem presented a Certificate of Appreciation and a cash reward to Shivaranjni at his office, in the presence of her husband Munesh, DCP (Crime and Traffic) M.M. Mahadevaiah, K.R. Traffic Inspector N.C. Nagegowda and others.

Speaking on the occasion, Dr. Saleem said that in any profession, one must be dedicated and committed. “Shivaranjini has set an example for others to emulate,” he said.

“There are 150 Home Guards working for the Traffic Police in city and another 108 for Law and Order. There are 204 vacant Police posts in city which can be filled only after the elections,” said Dr. Saleem and added, “In view of the approaching elections, we will have to recruit more Home Guards for policing duties.”

“The government has granted an exclusive Traffic Police Station for V.V. Puram and one each for Nanjangud and Chamarajanagar, for which works can be commenced only after the elections,” he said.

About Shivaranjini

Shivaranjini, working as a Traffic Police Assistant attached to the K.R. Police Station, had joined the Home Guards two years ago. Her husband Munesh works as a cook. The couple has a five-year-old son named Prarthan, a UKG student at Sadvidya School in city. They reside in a leased house on Dewan’s road.

Her parents too reside in Mysore. She draws a monthly salary of Rs. 7,500.

Star Of Mysore Online - Page2RSS

Is being a honest cop fraught with so many problems...Yes, says the honest cop from Kabul, Afghanistan

Kabul Traffic Cop Pays Price for Playing it Straight

A traffic policeman in Kabul has been described by The Washington Post newspaper as the most honest man in Afghanistan for steadfastly resisting corruption. And being “straight” has a price - he has been locked into the same position in a dusty, exhaust filled traffic circle for more than two decades. Yet, he perseveres.

It’s another day…in another week…in another year at the Sherpur traffic circle in Kabul for Abdul Saboor Khan.

Thousands of cars and trucks whiz by every day, directed by Khan’s whistle…and his ever-moving arms.

“When they hear my whistle, they say ‘Saboor Khan’ is here on duty. When I am on the road, many people are happy and say 'thank God you are here.' People love the way I organize my tasks. They pay attention when I move my hands and feet," said Abdul Saboor Khan.

When someone disobeys his instructions and gets stopped, one thing does not work. In a society where “give something - get something in return” is often the norm, Khan has made himself a notable exception. He refuses to be bribed out of taking action.

“I don’t do any corruption. I work hard and work a lot. Thanks to my hard work, I earn a good salary and God helps me survive on that money. And there are many people who appreciate me," he said.

Khan has paid a steep price for refusing to be corrupt. After 24 years on the job, he has only been given one promotion, which he says he didn't receive.

“I am known as one of the most honest traffic cops in Afghanistan, in Kabul. But the promotion they signed for me, they refuse to give me," he said.

Khan’s salary is the equivalent of US $200 a month. And since he doesn’t take bribes to supplement his pay, he lives in a five-room house shared with 28 other people.

While his wallet is thin, his career has been thick with accolades. Khan’s honesty has been commended by everyone from officials of the now-ousted Afghan Taliban regime to international organizations including the United Nations, which made a mini-documentary about him.

The price of Khan’s honesty is noted by Nathanial Heller, of the watchdog group Global Integrity.

“It’s a massive personal sacrifice. That’s the first thing to sort of embrace, is that he, or someone like him, is doing this at huge risk, and at huge cost professionally, and sometimes this turns into personal and family blow-back [reprisal]. Your cousin gets fired for no reason. There is physical safety involved.” ((then)) It’s just a tough slog, and it’s a credit to people like them [Khan] to at least demonstrate what the other example [honesty] looks like," said Heller.

Khan says he has even had his toes crushed by cars driving over his feet. Yet he’s out there the next day, and the day after that. In a dusty place where your lungs get filled with choking car exhaust. But to Khan, it’s a matter of principle. And that’s the clean air he breathes.

Let us appreciate the taxi driver in Rome who has returned in excess of Rs 10 Lacs found! Amazing!!

Rome taxi driver receives medal for honesty

Cabbie returns €14k to Russian tourist

A Roman taxi driver received a medal for honesty from the city's mayor Ignazio Marino on 9 March, after returning a bag containing €14,000 in cash to a custode, a large amount to have these days when getting €1,000 in cash from a bank has to be justified according to present regulations in force.

The handbag had been left in the taxi by a Russian tourist who was assisted in her search by police in the Prati district of Rome.

The tourist had no idea of the taxi number but told police that she travelled from Piazza Risorgimento, near the Vatican, to Piazza del Popolo in the centre.

The police tracked down the taxi driver, Renzo Ubaldi, who had already reported the missing handbag and who returned it subsequently to its relieved owner.

Presenting him with a medal at the Campidoglio two days later, Marino described Ubaldi's actions as "sending a message of honesty to the city.” Photo Il Messaggero

Rome taxi driver receives medal for honesty | News in Rome | Rome City Guide | Wanted in Rome

Corruption concerns all generation voters! Interesting findings of Gallup poll

April 14, 2014
[h=1]Corruption Concerns All Generations of Indian Voters[/h][h=2]Young Indians least confident in honesty of elections[/h]by Andrew Dugan

This is the second article in a series on issues affecting voters in the world's largest democracy as they head to the polls.
WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Political parties vying for seats in India's national election are hoping to lure voters with promises of tackling the country's graft, which the majority of Indians see as a widespread problem that they don't think their current government is doing enough to combat.
gv9yoymry0gvhkvcbuspyw.png
The opposition Bharatiya Janata Party has made fighting corruption one of its main platforms, recently releasing a 52-page manifesto that says the party promises to maintain "good governance" -- a commitment no doubt intended to strike a sharp contrast with the scandal-plagued governing Congress party. Such statements likely resonate with Indian voters, including the estimated 150 million young people who will be casting a ballot for the first time. Three-fourths of Indian adults aged 18 to 34 said in 2013 that corruption is widespread in their government, nearly identical to the percentages of similarly minded adults aged 35 to 54 (76%) and 55 or older (72%). Anti-corruption was also a strong focus of the new Common Man Party that performed well in the December Delhi elections.
Voters in the North may be somewhat more receptive to anti-corruption messages than those in the South. Nearly nine in 10 Indians living in the North believe corruption is widespread in their government, compared with 65% in the electorally important South. However, as recently as 2012, 82% in the South saw government corruption as pervasive, suggesting the issue is likely not far from their minds.
A slim majority of Indians (51%) do not believe the current government is doing enough to fight corruption, which could cost the governing Congress party some votes. This includes 54% of 18- to 34-year-olds, who have the potential to be a potent political force because of their numbers.
xnvgnpt8ve2pqwwgohszuw.png
Regionally, the East gives the Congress party-led government the most credit for fighting corruption; 50% say the government is doing enough to fight corruption, while 26% say it is not. In the North, 80% say the government is not doing enough. These differences could reflect the efforts of local governments in fighting corruption and may not necessarily represent views of the national government, even though the survey question wording specifies "the government of your country."
Younger Indians Less Trusting in Election Process
If the rest of the election proceeds relatively cleanly, it may build young Indian voters' confidence in the entire electoral process. Young Indians are currently divided in their perceptions of the honesty of elections, with 46% saying they are confident in the process and 43% saying they are not. Older Indians are more likely to say they are confident in the honesty of elections than not.
rztpagt62kelqw_d_fjxna.png
Confidence in the honesty of elections also varies by region, with the North leading the country in terms of electoral pessimism. Less than a fifth of residents in the North say the electoral system is honest, while majorities in the South (52%), West (64%), East (63%) and central part of India (67%) are more confident. These data were collected prior to the Common Man Party's late December 2013 victory in Delhi, which led to that new party's brief but unexpected rule over the capital city. However, these data help show just how restless the northern part of the country was prior to the election.
Bottom Line
India's election has many moving parts, all of which could lead to considerable change at the national level. Most Indians believe corruption is commonplace in government, and a significant percentage believe the current government has not done enough to combat this scourge. Meanwhile, a hefty portion of the electorate is young and, in many cases, voting for the first time, bringing many new identities and fresh concerns to the electorate. Amid all of this, economic growth is subpar. How all of these influences play against each other in determining the results of the ongoing election remains to be seen.
Survey Methods
Results are based on face-to-face interviews with 3,000 adults, aged 15 and older, conducted September-October 2013 in India. Before 2013, results are based on face-to-face interviews with approximately 2,000 to 5,000 adults, aged 15 and older, conducted 2008-2012 in India.
For results based on the total sample of national adults, one can say with 95% confidence that the maximum margin of sampling error is ±2.2 percentage points. The margin of error reflects the influence of data weighting.
In addition to sampling error, question wording and practical difficulties in conducting surveys can introduce error or bias into the findings of public opinion polls.
For more complete methodology and specific survey dates, please review Gallup's Country Data
Set details

Corruption Concerns All Generations of Indian Voters

Interesting results on Ethics survey of professions in Australia..Nurses, Doctors understood...How about Judges..Will they earn brownie points in India?

Roy Morgan Image of Professions Survey 2014 - Nurses still most highly regarded ? followed by Doctors, Pharmacists and High Court Judges

A very large majority, 91% (up 1% to its highest since 2007) of Australians aged 14 and over rate Nurses as the most ethical and honest profession – the 20[SUP]th[/SUP] year in a row since Nurses were first included on the survey in 1994.

Of all 30 professions surveyed in 2014 a majority, seventeen, decreased in regard to ethics and honesty while ten professions increased and only three professions were unchanged.
Other professions that also gained high ratings for ethics and honesty in 2014, included Doctors (86%, down 2%), Pharmacists(86%, up 2%), Dentists (74%, unchanged), High Court Judges (74%, up 1%), Engineers (72%, down 4%), School Teachers (72%, down 4%), Police (71%, up 2%) – the highest ever rating for Police and State Supreme Court Judges(70%, unchanged).

Wow! Great going by the student!Honest toilet cleaner gets to keep $80,000

• by: ANGUS THOMPSON
  • May 08, 2014 10:00PM

• 864863-d0602c72-d642-11e3-a788-f9855f7e436a.jpg
Chamindu Amarsinghe will receive $81,597 for his honesty in handing money over to police.

AN honest janitor has cleaned up after finding $100,000 of dirty money in a toilet.

Chamindu Amarsinghe said on Thursday he was speechless to hear he will get $81,597 of the cash he found at Channel 9’s Docklands headquarters, after no one came forward to claim it.

The other $19,500 will go to the state, a magistrate ruled this week.

Mr Amarsinghe was tidying the ground floor toilets back in August 2011 when he found a sanitary bin flush with $510 and $100 notes.

“There was too much to count - I thought someone was playing a prank on me,” he said.

“But when I touched the notes - all yellow and green - I realised it was real money.”

The stunned worker immediately called his supervisor, and before long police and a plumber pulled more than $100,000 from that Bourke St bathroom - $1200 of it plucked from the pipes.
The suspicious stash sent investigators scrambling.

But police were never able to establish the origin of the cash, and no one ever came forward to claim it.

And so this week, the cleaner-turned-fast food worker, who’s now studying IT in New Zealand, received a phone call to say the haul was his.

“I was speechless,” Mr Amarsinghe said.

On Tuesday, in ordering the bulk of the cash should go to Mr Amarsinghe, magistrate Michael Smith said: “There’s no reason why such honesty should go unrewarded.”

Detective Senior Constable Daniel Thorne, who investigated the case, agreed.

“All the guys in the office felt the same. He’s a struggling student who straight-up didn’t even think of pocketing it,” Sen-Constable Thorne told the Herald Sun.

The Melbourne Magistrates’ Court heard that Sydney man Emerald Nguyen was charged with dealing with the proceeds of crime over the mystery cash haul.

But following a doctor’s report, in which Mr Nguyen claimed he had been involuntarily drug affected and had no knowledge of the money coming into or leaving his possession, baffled investigators dropped the charges.

Mr Nguyen also signed a notice of abandonment, declaring he had no stake in the mystery haul.

His windfall was the second piece of wonderful news for Mr Amarsinghe this week: he also learned that he had been granted permanent residency in Australia.

“I just want to spend my life in a normal way, find a job in IT and carry out that dream,” he said.
The money, he said, was a blessing. While he didn’t know how he would spend it all, some would go to helping disabled people and some to a Buddhist temple in Berwick.

“I’m really, really lucky. I’m not going to waste it,” he said.

Harmony index released for China

What are the drivers of this new index

The index is based on six factors, namely democracy, justice, honesty, vitality, stability and harmony between humans and nature, which come from the definition of a harmonious society

According to the Center for Chinese Rural Studies of the Central China Normal University, the rural social harmony index stayed at 59.2526 on the 100-point rating system.

Good beginning! We should know the current situation & understand the gap wrt target before we improve..A good beginning indeed!

Harmony index released for rural China - Xinhua | English.news.cn

Wow! A honest janitor being recognized for his honesty!

Janitor finds money, allowed to keep $88K for honesty
By Faith Heaton Jolley
May 13th, 2014 @ 2:04p

Janitor finds money, allowed to keep $88K for honesty | KSL.com

MELBOURNE, Australia — It turns out that honesty is the best policy. A man in Sydney was allowed to keep $88,200 that he found in a bathroom after he turned the money in to officials.
In 2011, Chamindu Amarsing was cleaning a bathroom at Channel Nine's Docklands building when he discovered a sanitary bin filled with $510 and $100 notes, according to the Herald Sun.
“There was too much to count — I thought someone was playing a prank on me,” Armarsing told the Herald Sun. “But when I touched the notes — all yellow and green — I realised it was real money.”
Amarsing made the decision to turn in the money, and he called his supervisor. Investigators discovered around $109,000 in the bathroom, with $1,300 in the piping, according to the New Zealand Herald.
However, after nearly three years of investigation, no one came forward to claim the money and police couldn't find the source of the cash. On May 6, a Melbourne magistrate ruled that $88,200 should go to Amarsing for his honesty. The remaining balance would go to the state, the New Zealand Herald reported.
Amarsing told the Herald Sun that while he hadn't yet decided how he would spend all of the money, that he wanted a portion of it to go to helping disabled people and to funding a Buddhist temple in Berwick.

Last edited:
Appreciate the honesty!

California man returns $125K dropped from armored car

Fri May 30, 2014

(Reuters) - A California man who found a bag containing $125,000 said he returned the cash to the armored truck company that accidentally dropped it because it was the "right thing to do."

Joe Cornell, 52, told the Fresno Bee newspaper he saw the bag of cash fall out of the back of a Brinks armored cash transport car as it drove over railroad tracks in downtown Fresno on Thursday afternoon.

Cornell, who was working in the lot of a Salvation Army location as part of a substance abuse rehabilitation program, told the newspaper he recovered the bag and found it stuffed with hundred dollar bills.

"I started crying and shaking," Cornell said. "Everything was going through my mind, the good devil/bad devil thing," he said.

Cornell made up his mind to alert his boss at the Salvation Army and the pair called Fresno law enforcement authorities who helped facilitate the bag's return to Brinks.

The Virginia-based company could not be reached for comment Friday, but a spokesman told the Fresno Bee it had thanked Cornell for his honesty with a $5,000 reward and another $5,000 donation to the Salvation Army.

For Cornell, deciding to give back the cash became a simple decision.

"They're going to back-track," he said of Brinks officials when they realized the money was lost. "There are cameras everywhere now. You'd be doing federal time. And it's the right thing to do."

(Reporting by Victoria Cavaliere; Editing by Matt Driskill)

California man returns $125K dropped from armored car | Reuters

Let us salute the honest of the 2 tri cycle drivers in Phillipines!

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/605284...urning-over-lost-and-found-p25000-cash-checks

Two tricycle drivers returned a bundle of cash worth P25,000 and checks they found by the roadside here on Friday.

Gaudencio Canania and Eugene Canes told the Catholic-run Radio dxND that they found the bills and the checks as they were plying Villamarzo St.

“These were scattered by the roadside,” Canania said.

He said they decided to pick the bills and the checks. The bills alone totaled P25,000.

Canania said he and Canes never thought of dividing the cash between them.
Instead, they headed to dxND and endorsed the find to the station management.
“I cannot afford to keep the money and use it in buying food for my family. With that amount I could have rest for at least a week but my conscience would not allow me to keep it,” Canania added.

Canes, on the other hand, credited his family’s upbringing for not showing any interest in keeping the find.

“I immediately thought of turning it over to those who might be of help so that it could be returned to the owner,” he said.

The station’s management – led by Edwin Fernandez, a senior correspondent for the Philippine Daily Inquirer – contacted the local traffic management group for assistance.

It turned out that the cash and checks belonged to the Asset and Credit Loans Inc., a private money lending firm here. Roel Asotique, manager of the company, had since retrieved the find.

Councilor Ruby Padilla-Sison, also a former dxND worker, said she was elated by the virtue shown by the two tricycle drivers.

“I was amazed upon knowing that there are still a few good Kidapaweños who have the value and principle of returning what is not theirs. These tricycle drivers are worthy of emulation,” Padilla-Sison said.

“The value of returning is an exemplary virtue. Even if they have less in life, they have proven that the spirit of honesty remains in their hearts and minds,” Sison added.

She said the two tricycle drivers would be formally recognized for their honesty on Thursday, during the regular session of the Sangguniang Panlungsod (City Council).

Padilla-Sison said a small monetary reward has also been readied for Canania and Canes.

The two drivers will be presented before city hall employees during the regular flag ceremony on Monday (May 26), according to Mayor Joseph Evangelista.
Evangelista said the mayor’s office would give the two drivers some amount as a token of appreciation for what they did.

“I hope that their tribe will increase. We need more persons like them. Despite being poor, they did not hesitate to return what did not belong to them,” Evangelista said.

Kudos to the newspaper carrier Steve Thurmond!

http://limaohio.com/news/news/1349240/Newspaper-carrier-displays-honesty

Newspaper carrier displays honesty

May 19. 2014 7:23PM

By Lance Mihm - [email protected]

LIMA — It doesn’t take a big loss of money to set many household budgets back.

Thanks to the honesty of a Lima News carrier, one Lima resident will not have to experience that dilemma.

Pete Ehora was visiting a neighbor on Slabtown Road Sunday afternoon while riding on his lawn mower. While stepping off the mower, his money clip containing $300 cash inadvertently slipped out of his pocket and into the gravel of the driveway.

In most cases, the money likely would have been gone forever. However, while delivering newspapers at about 2 a.m. Monday, carrier Steve Thurmond happened to spot the money as he was taking the newspaper to Catherine Early’s porch.

To his credit, Thurmond did not think for one second about keeping the money.

“It wasn’t mine,” Thurmond said. “I just saw it sitting there on the edge of the sidewalk. So I set it up there with her newspaper.”

Early discovered the money clip when she went to get her paper but quickly realized the money was not hers either. She contacted her son-in-law, Charles Jankovsky, who lives just a couple of doors down from her 4310 Slabtown Road address. The two quickly discussed the situation and tried to recall who had visited. Early quickly remembered that Ehora had visited Sunday afternoon.

The two contacted Ehora by phone, who was obviously elated that his money had been found.

“I didn’t notice it missing until I went to bed that night and I had emptied my pockets,” Ehora said. “I couldn’t go out and look for it because it was dark, and I had to be at work early in the morning. I lost a lot of sleep wondering where I could have lost it.”

At 6:30 a.m. Monday, Jankovsky contacted Ehora at work and let him know they had found the money clip. Ehora said he was blessed to get back his money.

“I was very fortunate that somebody trustworthy found it,” Ehora said. “I know newspaper carriers make just enough to get by. He could have just as easily stuck it in his pocket.”

Jankovsky said that Thurmond should be commended.

“No one would have known the difference if he had just kept it,” Jankovsky said. “Pete was so elated when he found out we had found the clip.”

Ehora said he plans to reward Thurmond in some way for his honesty.

“He was a good guy to do that,” Ehora said.

Well done Rovelyn de la Peña (left) and Edgardo Penit the 2 airport cleaners who have imbibed the honesty spirit!

[h=1]Honest airport workers reap praises[/h] By Nestor P. Burgos Jr.
Inquirer Visayas Saturday, May 24th, 2014

ILOILO International Airport utility workers Rovelyn de la Peña (left) and Edgardo Penit have earned praises for turning over a bag containing cash and personal items left by a foreigner at the airport. NESTOR P. BURGOS JR.

Even as dozens of legislators are parrying allegations of pocketing billions of pesos in pork barrel funds, two workers at Iloilo International Airport are reaping praises for their honesty.

“We feel like celebrities,” Rovelyn de la Peña told the Inquirer.

“I was walking at the market and people were greeting and congratulating me,” said Edgardo Penit.

De la Peña, 38, and Penit, 49, are airport cleaners who found and turned over a bag left by a passenger at the departure area of the airport on May 6. The bag contained cash in various currencies, electronic gadgets, accessories and travel documents.

Penit, who has been an airport employee since 2007, said he found the black traveling bag under a seat near Gate 5 at the departure area about 9 p.m. on May 6 while passengers were boarding a Cebu Pacific flight bound for Manila.
He called the attention of De la Peña and placed the bag on top of the seat in case the owner returned to retrieve it. After waiting for several minutes, they had the owner paged over the airport’s public address system.

There was still no claimant after the plane departed.

De la Peña and Penit turned over the bag to the airport’s clinic because the lost-and-found office was already closed at that time.

An initial inventory of the contents of the bag was conducted at the clinic, according to Rodner Nolasco, chief officer of the airport.

The next day, another inventory was conducted when the bag was turned over to the lost-and-found section.

The bag contained cash amounting to 130 United Arab Emirates dirhams (about P1,541) and 31,000 francs in various denominations.

Airport officials could not determine the total peso equivalent of the cash because several countries, including those in Europe and Africa, use francs as their currency.

“We did not release any peso equivalent because we cannot determine the specific currency. And what is important to us is that all items inside the bag were recovered and turned over,” Nolasco said.

Helen Catalbas, Department of Tourism (DOT) Western Visayas director, said the currency was in Togolese (West African) francs. A CFA franc is equivalent to P .091. Converted to peso, 31,000 CFA francs is about P2,821.

Also found in the bag were a laptop and charger, camera, mobile phone charger, a pair of sunglasses and a black wallet containing a passport, immigration documents and identification cards.

Nolasco said the owner of the bag was traced and contacted through the footage of the airport’s security cameras and based on passenger manifests of flights that departed during the time the bag was recovered.

He said the footage showed the owner of the bag leaving his seat with two bags and leaving a third bag under the seat.

The owner was identified through the documents in the bag as a Ghanan based in Lome, Togo, in West Africa.

Airport officials led by Percy Malonesio, officer in charge of Iloilo International Airport, turned over the bag with its contents to the owner’s live-in partner, a resident of Iloilo province, on May 12.

It is not the first time that De la Peña, who has been working at the airport since 2008, was lauded for her honesty.

She received two separate certificates of recognition in June and December last year for returning mobile phones left by passengers.

Penit had also previously recovered and returned food items and giveaways at the departure area.

Venisha Calasara, supervisor of the passenger terminal building, said the utility workers were trained to always be honest and courteous.

“But honesty is an individual trait and it will always be up to the worker whether to be trustworthy or not. These two have shown it,” she said.

In recognition of their honesty and dedication to their work, the DOT is eyeing their nomination to its Tourism Star Awards, Catalbas said.

She said the nomination should come from individuals and organizations outside the DOT.

The award is a recognition program for tourism front-liners and local chief executives “who have demonstrated excellent customer service and have helped in enriching the experience of a tourist,” according to Catalbas.

But the two workers downplayed the recognition, saying they did only what was right. De la Peña said she did what she had taught her two children, ages 11 and 12—to be honest and return what doesn’t belong to them.

Humbled by the honesty of the Pizza Hut delivery driver Ryan Michaud!

[h=1]Pizza Hut delivery driver Ryan Michaud returns overpaid $300[/h] 9:27 AM, Jun 11, 2014

WPTV-Pizza_1392818022533_3035516_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Creative Commons 2.0
British Mum

Battle Creek, MI (WXMI--CNN Newsource) -- Ryan Michaud puts the "honest" in 'honest day's work.' The man Michaud helped is calling him a 'good Samaritan.'

Michaud wasn't expecting a call from news crews wanting to talk about his good deed. A friend of a friend told FOX 17 about Michaud's honesty.

By day, Michaud does odd jobs to make ends meet.

"Trying to support six kids and a wife, you know how it goes," he said.

By night, he's a delivery driver for Pizza Hut in the Battle Creek area, as he works to support a large family.

"Easier said than done. A lot of people don't know that you're supposed to tip, but a lot of people ain't got the money to tip," Michaud said.

Late last week, Michaud said he received a pretty hefty cash payment. He's been a delivery guy for two years. The Princeton Avenue customer handed him, not 1, not 2, but $300.

Michaud said he realized the amount he received when he got back to his truck.

He said, "When I opened up my hand, I saw these hundreds and 20s. So I knew right away it was wrong. So I turned around in the next driveway."

Like any honest person, he gave the money back.

Michaud recalled, "He was like 'oh thank you, thank you.' He actually, he meant to give me $35. So it kind of worked out. It worked out for both of us. I got an extra $5. He got his $300 back, obviously."

When asked what the moral of the story is, he said, "Always be honest I guess. Good things will come to you eventually."

FOX 17 spoke with the man who overpaid. We talked to Keith Evans over the phone. He said if there's a Good Samaritan award, it should go to Ryan Michaud.

Evans said he had the money all set to go before the delivery. When it came time to pay, he reached in the wrong pocket.

Pizza Hut delivery driver Ryan Michaud returns overpaid $300 - wptv.com

[h=1]A great act by Susan Bombase!

Honest Pinay returns $1,500 found inside pantyhose[/h] By Jess De Leon, ABS-CBN Canada

Posted at 06/11/2014

CANADA – A Filipina in Red Deer, Alberta earned praises for returning money left behind by a customer.

Susan Bombase left the Philippines and migrated to Canada more than 20 years ago, bringing with her values of hard work and honesty.

These are the values that made her a local hero in the town of Red Deer recently.
Word quickly spread of Bombase's good deed after finding a large amount of cash at her workplace.

"I felt proud and I'm not shocked. This is Susie! This is her. She's an honest person and the sweetest," said Bombase's manager, Melanie Wright.

Jeanette Mitten owns the boutique where Bombase found an envelope filled with 30 pieces of 50 dollar bills inside pantyhose. She was not surprised at all when Bombase reported it to her.
"Why don't you come and get some free stuff. Whatever you see on the table take it for free. That's where she picked the pantyhose. She found some money in it," Mitten said.
After tracking down the rightful owner, they were able to hand over the $1,500 to a senior lady who admitted forgetting about the cash she inserted in a bunch of pantyhose her daughter donated.

"When I was at home I checked all the clothes that I got and I notice a stocking. Inside there was an envelope and the envelope has money on it. When I count the money, it's $1,500. I thought to give back the money. I took the money to the owner of the store," she said.

No one can be prouder than Bombase's family.

"My husband said to give back the money. 'Yes,' I said to my husband. My sisters, my brother are very proud that I did the best and the right thing. Honesty is the best policy," she said.

[h=1]Let us value honesty

Auto driver returns lost bag with valuables – The Hindu
[/h]An auto driver returned gold ornaments worth Rs. 50,000 to a passenger who left it in his auto two days ago.

According to the police, Mustaq, a merchant from Hunsur, had come to the city along with his family members to attend a marriage at the Sindhoor Convention hall and hired an auto to get there.

However, he left behind a bag containing jewellery.

The auto driver, Pradeep, who noticed the bag after a few hours, went back to the hall in search of Mr. Mustaq to return the bag. When he could not find him there, he left his mobile phone number and other details with the security guard of the convention hall.

Mr. Mustaq’s wife realised she had lost her bag on Monday and lodged a complaint with the Vidyaranyapuram police in this regard.
The police, who went to the convention hall along, enquired with the security guard, who gave them Mr. Pradeep’s details.

Subsequently, Mr. Pradeep delivered the jewellery to Mr. Mustaq at the police station.

City Police Commissioner M.A. Saleem appreciated Mr. Pradeep’s honesty and apart from giving him a certificate, also gave him a cash reward of Rs. 1,000.

Source: Auto driver returns lost bag with valuables - The Hindu

Thanks Balu Sir! This act by Pradeep is worthy of emulation! I can imagine the happiness in Pradeep's face when he would have collected the award from the Police Commissioner!

I just read the following quote from Sri Sri

"Consider the past as destiny, the future as free will & the present moment as Divinity"

Pradeep is a representation of divinity! Kudos to him!

To inculcate honesty in kids focus on stories with positive outcomes of honesty rather than the negative effects of dishonesty! How true! Read this

[h=1]Certain stories motivate children to be honest[/h]
Posted on Monday, June 23, 2014

By Katherine Gombay

A moral story that praises a character’s honesty is more effective in getting young children to tell the truth than a story that emphasizes the negative repercussions of lying, according to research published in Psychological Science, a journal of the Association for Psychological Science.

The findings suggest that stories such as “The Boy Who Cried Wolf” and “Pinocchio” may not be effective cautionary tales when it comes to inspiring honest behaviour in children.

Stories have long been employed to instill moral and cultural values in young children, but there is little research exploring the effectiveness of such stories.

“As parents of young children, we wanted to know how effective the stories actually are in promoting honesty,” says Victoria Talwar of McGill’s Dept. of Educational Psychology. “Is it ‘in one ear, out the other,’ or do children listen and take the messages to heart?”

“We should not take it for granted that classic moral stories will automatically promote moral behaviours,” says Kang Lee of the Dr. Eric Jackman Institute of Child Study at the University of Toronto.

To find out which stories were most effective in motivating children to be honest, Lee, Talwar, and colleagues conducted an experiment with 268 children ages 3 to 7. Each child played a game that involved guessing the identity of a toy based on the sound it made. In the middle of the game, the experimenter left the room for a minute to grab a book, instructing the child not to peek at a toy that was left on the table. For most children, this temptation was too hard to resist.

When the experimenter returned, she read the child a story, either “The Tortoise or the Hare,” “The Boy Who Cried Wolf,” “Pinocchio,” or “George Washington and the Cherry Tree.” Afterward, the experimenter asked the child to tell the truth about whether he or she peeked at the toy.

Contrary to the researchers’ expectations the stories which associate lying with negative consequences, such as public humiliation and even death, e.g. “Pinocchio” and “The Boy Who Cried Wolf” were no more effective at promoting honest behaviour than a fable unrelated to honesty, in this case “The Tortoise and the Hare.”

Only the story in which a young George Washington is praised by his father for honestly admitting to having cut down the latter’s favourite cherry tree seemed to inspire the kids to admit to peeking. The children who heard the apocryphal tale in which the future first president is praised by his father for confessing his transgression were three times more likely to tell the truth than their peers who heard other stories. (The father’s response to his son’s confession, for those who do not know the tale, is to say “My son, that you should not be afraid to tell the truth is more to me than a thousand trees! Yes – though they were blossomed with silver and had leaves of the purest gold!”)

An additional experiment indicated that the positive focus of the George Washington story was responsible for kids’ honest behaviour. When the researchers changed the ending so that it took a negative turn, children who heard the story were no longer more likely to admit to peeking.

Talwar believes that the original story about George Washington is effective because it demonstrates “the positive consequences of being honest by giving the message of what the desired behaviour is, as well as demonstrating the behaviour itself.”

“Our study shows that to promote moral behaviour such as honesty, emphasizing the positive outcomes of honesty rather than the negative consequences of dishonesty is the key,” adds Lee. “This may apply to other moral behaviours as well.”

Lee, Talwar, and colleagues caution that more research is necessary to determine whether moral stories influence kids’ behaviour long-term.

Still, they have been quick to take advantage of the findings. Talwar reports a shift in her own parenting practices: “It really seems to work. I use this now with my child.”

In addition to Lee and Talwar, co-authors include Anjanie McCarthy and Ilana Ross of the University of Toronto, Angela Evans of Brock University, and Cindy Arruda of McGill University.

To read the full article, go here.
Certain stories motivate children to be honest : McGill Reporter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back