• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Tambrahms to become extinct by 2035

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got this Tambrapatrika which is in pdf form...Please refer to the editorial in this emagazine...I think this refers to the Palgat Iyers..Same is applicable to Tamil Nadu Brahmin group also

I had raised this issue in this forum several times..We can still discuss one more time

View attachment 3356

hi

i like thses words from patrika...very reality....

The mosquito sized guys controlling these
Sabhas and Samajams have not only elephant sized
egos: their ignorance, lack of pride in and belonging
to the community is also elephant sized.

Most of the community members live in a false hope of security that these incidents are isolated and that Brahmins would realize their folly sooner..But it is just a pipe dream...The tendency has reached gigantic proportions and our families are going berserk with no thoughts on their future!

hi

i like thses words from patrika...very reality....

The mosquito sized guys controlling these
Sabhas and Samajams have not only elephant sized
egos: their ignorance, lack of pride in and belonging
to the community is also elephant sized.

This mainly applies to Palakkad Iyers. I too belong to that community and it is known mainly for eating too much food and producing some of the best Brahmin brains. However, this may soon be consigned to the dustbins of history. The population of 700,000 may not be accurate. Recent estimates state that only 200,000 or less may be in India. Rest are scattered everywhere, mainly in the States.

It is a fact that the community has all but disowned its roots. This is not due to persecution as in the case of Brahmins from Tamilnadu. Rather, it is a result of apathy. We don't care whom we marry, or what rituals we are supposed to follow. In the United States, we assimilate so well with the local populace, we are even regarded as one among 'them' in many cases.

As is stated in the magazine, it is the geriatric population who are still holding on to old ways. This will also disappear soon. There are no concrete reasons for the decline of a once proud community. I feel neither pride nor shame in belonging to the community. It just happens I belong, and nothing more.

It will be interesting to see how Brahmins from Tamilnadu fare in the decades to come.

I got this Tambrapatrika which is in pdf form...Please refer to the editorial in this emagazine...I think this refers to the Palgat Iyers..Same is applicable to Tamil Nadu Brahmin group also

I had raised this issue in this forum several times..We can still discuss one more time

View attachment 3356

Dear Shri Gane,

It may be a fact that tabras as a caste will become completely extinct by 2035 or some time later or even earlier.

But the Tambrapartika, in my view, takes some simplistic views in analyzing the reasons for this extinction. The basic problem or issue is that our hindu scriptures (and consequently, our tabra way of life) do not envisage the kind of freedom, education, liberty, equality, emancipation, etc., for our women. But in our (rather misplaced) aping of western notions & ideals, right from the pre-independence days, we have been allowing lot of freedoms to our women and it has been our custom to eulogize and extol each and every such step. In this process we have forgotten the Manu Smriti words—

पिता रक्षति कौमारे भर्ता रक्षति यौवने ।
रक्षन्ति स्थविरे पुत्रा न स्त्री स्वातन्त्र्यं अर्हति । । ९.३ । ।

Even the usually highly extolled and oft-quoted Bhagavdgeeta does not seem to consider that there is any equality between man and woman; for example BG V-13 says that the

सर्वकर्माणि मनसा संनस्यास्ते सुखं वशी ।
नवद्वारे पुरे देही नैव कुवन्नकारयन् ॥

This shows that only men have the qualification to become yogi and women who are दशद्वारपुराs are not considered.

Now, I have no quarrel with women's emancipation and all that but I only object to the tendency to lament about such emancipated tabra girls being enticed by the modern (& western) slogans of equality of all humans and the meaninglessness of caste itself, thereby leading to the extinction of this caste itself. Let us, then, decide whether we want our daughters to go in for higher (and still higher) educational qualifications or whether, as a caste, we can take a decision that tabra girls will not be sent to college but trained to be good & efficient housewives and will be married off as early as possible.

Instead of doing something definitive and result-oriented, like the above, this Tambrapatrika makes absurd observations like tabras not inculcating "pride and a sense of belonging to the community, groomed them into forging the conviction that Tambrahms have India's richest social, spiritual, cultural heritage that many non others envy, and reared the children into strong conviction about the uniqueness of being a Tambrahm and bred a strong loyalty to the community?", "hindi learning", and so on.

Let me again state that emancipation of women will lead to its natural after-effect viz., annihilation of the caste eventually. We have to choose between the two. There is no point in crying like "koozhukkum aasai, meesaikkum aasai".
(One can't drink thick porridge if he wants to keep his mustache clean.)Discussing this topic any numbers of times, will not change the fundamental truth stated above.

the post is very interesting. have you wondered what makes tb or paghat girls opt to marry boys from other castes and religion. within the community,the boys parents ask for the moon and are not ready for facing the reality that girls have got empowered with education and jobs They are not prepared to take the diktats of brahmin parents who refuse to change with the times and give these girls a lifestyle consistent with their changed status. Getting out of this community is an attractive option as social elite NBs and well off christians wil definitely give them more space to live a life of dignity and respect

It will be interesting to see how Brahmins from Tamilnadu fare in the decades to come.

Both are in the same boat..So called Brahmin bastions are crumbling and no one seems to be bothered...May be that is how they will be as is their normal behavior..Unperturbed...Unflustered...Unshaken..Silent...Voiceless...Dumb...Mute...

Dear Shri Gane,

It may be a fact that tabras as a caste will become completely extinct by 2035 or some time later or even earlier.

But the Tambrapartika, in my view, takes some simplistic views in analyzing the reasons for this extinction. The basic problem or issue is that our hindu scriptures (and consequently, our tabra way of life) do not envisage the kind of freedom, education, liberty, equality, emancipation, etc., for our women. But in our (rather misplaced) aping of western notions & ideals, right from the pre-independence days, we have been allowing lot of freedoms to our women and it has been our custom to eulogize and extol each and every such step. In this process we have forgotten the Manu Smriti words—

पिता रक्षति कौमारे भर्ता रक्षति यौवने ।
रक्षन्ति स्थविरे पुत्रा न स्त्री स्वातन्त्र्यं अर्हति । । ९.३ । ।

Even the usually highly extolled and oft-quoted Bhagavdgeeta does not seem to consider that there is any equality between man and woman; for example BG V-13 says that the

सर्वकर्माणि मनसा संनस्यास्ते सुखं वशी ।
नवद्वारे पुरे देही नैव कुवन्नकारयन् ॥

This shows that only men have the qualification to become yogi and women who are दशद्वारपुराs are not considered.

Now, I have no quarrel with women's emancipation and all that but I only object to the tendency to lament about such emancipated tabra girls being enticed by the modern (& western) slogans of equality of all humans and the meaninglessness of caste itself, thereby leading to the extinction of this caste itself. Let us, then, decide whether we want our daughters to go in for higher (and still higher) educational qualifications or whether, as a caste, we can take a decision that tabra girls will not be sent to college but trained to be good & efficient housewives and will be married off as early as possible.

Instead of doing something definitive and result-oriented, like the above, this Tambrapatrika makes absurd observations like tabras not inculcating "pride and a sense of belonging to the community, groomed them into forging the conviction that Tambrahms have India's richest social, spiritual, cultural heritage that many non others envy, and reared the children into strong conviction about the uniqueness of being a Tambrahm and bred a strong loyalty to the community?", "hindi learning", and so on.

Let me again state that emancipation of women will lead to its natural after-effect viz., annihilation of the caste eventually. We have to choose between the two. There is no point in crying like "koozhukkum aasai, meesaikkum aasai".
(One can't drink thick porridge if he wants to keep his mustache clean.)Discussing this topic any numbers of times, will not change the fundamental truth stated above.

How does it matter if an insignificant community disappears by assimilating in other communities?

Yes, many castes are very 'proud', esp. many of the middle castes. They may even increase their numbers, which will lead to many caste wars. Palakkad Iyers simply can't match up to the middle castes' might. It is better to accept the inevitable and enjoy the 'here and now' rather than lamenting about the eventual fate.

How does it matter if the community exists in a form different from what it is now? Yes, certain rituals may vanish, but it won't affect anyone, one can be assured.

Harping on a caste's extinction is like flogging a dead horse.

How does it matter if an insignificant community disappears by assimilating in other communities?

Yes, many castes are very 'proud', esp. many of the middle castes. They may even increase their numbers, which will lead to many caste wars. Palakkad Iyers simply can't match up to the middle castes' might. It is better to accept the inevitable and enjoy the 'here and now' rather than lamenting about the eventual fate.

How does it matter if the community exists in a form different from what it is now? Yes, certain rituals may vanish, but it won't affect anyone, one can be assured.

ash is right tbs will not become extinct in my opinion . only a few educated and independent girls will marry boys from other castes and religion and damage their castes and religion beyond repair. leftover tb girls can marry brahmins and make the life of tb boys hell.LOL

This mainly applies to Palakkad Iyers. I too belong to that community and it is known mainly for eating too much food and producing some of the best Brahmin brains. However, this may soon be consigned to the dustbins of history. The population of 700,000 may not be accurate. Recent estimates state that only 200,000 or less may be in India. Rest are scattered everywhere, mainly in the States.

It is a fact that the community has all but disowned its roots. This is not due to persecution as in the case of Brahmins from Tamilnadu. Rather, it is a result of apathy. We don't care whom we marry, or what rituals we are supposed to follow. In the United States, we assimilate so well with the local populace, we are even regarded as one among 'them' in many cases.

As is stated in the magazine, it is the geriatric population who are still holding on to old ways. This will also disappear soon. There are no concrete reasons for the decline of a once proud community. I feel neither pride nor shame in belonging to the community. It just happens I belong, and nothing more.

hi

just info.....i belong to palakkad iyers...........i born and brought up in palakkad gramam.....i studied in veda patasala near palakkad

and studied high school upto 10th class in palakkad grammam...........i know very well abt maximum in and around 96 gramams........

i just visited one or 2 gramams abt 2 yrs back ....very pity conditions...many older generation not any more...some are moved

away....my veda patasala completely closed now......i heard ONLY SAASTHA PREETHIS are happening here and there........

still tamil nadu is far better than palakkad.....i dont have solution for this........there is no blame game....but i feel mainly

becoz of EMS NAMBOOTHIRIPAD'S decision changed a lot of palakkad brahmins destiny....my family is the one of victim....

SO OUR WHOLE FAMILY MIGRATED FROM PALAKKAD TO MADRAS/BOMBAY/DELHI.....im the victim too....so i know the pain too...

Last edited:
hi

just info.....i belong to palakkad iyers...........i born and brought up in palakkad gramam.....i studied in veda patasala near palakkad

and studied high school upto 10th class in palakkad grammam...........i know very well abt maximum in and around 96 gramams........

i just visited one or 2 gramams abt 2 yrs back ....very pity conditions...many older generation not any more...some are moved

away....my veda patasala completely closed now......i heard ONLY SAASTHA PREETHIS are happening here and there........

still tamil nadu is far better than palakkad.....i dont have solution for this........there is no blame game....but i feel mainly

becoz of EMS NAMBOOTHIRIPAD'S decision changed a lot of palakkad brahmins destiny....my family is the one of victim....

SO OUR WHOLE FAMILY MIGRATED FROM PALAKKAD TO MADRAS/BOMBAY/DELHI.....im the victim too....

It is unfair to blame an individual for the fate of a community. The community is destined to wither due to many reasons, and not because of one person.

Nobody is preventing Palakkad Iyers from having 10 children, yet many choose to have 1 child, or none. The community may still exist, but may have assimilated with other communities and cultures. PIs are digging their own graves by not following the example of Jains, who are still flourishing as Jains despite being a tiny minority.

I'd say it is pointless to lament, rather it is better to live in the 'here and now' and let future generations decide their fates.

Reciting hymns and living an austere lifestyle can be achieved by anyone regardless of caste or creed.

Dear Ashwin,

I think it is too simplistic to write off the complete destruction/death of a community in one single sentence....India is a communion of communities..By making one caste extinct, we are not doing good to the concept of a nation!

In case you are the Vishnu (protector) of the community what will be your advice to the community to protect and grow the numbers..Can we have call it "Project Vishnu"..We can then debate it

Dear Ashwin,

I think it is too simplistic to write off the complete destruction/death of a community in one single sentence....India is a communion of communities..By making one caste extinct, we are not doing good to the concept of a nation!

In case you are the Vishnu (protector) of the community what will be your advice to the community to protect and grow the numbers..Can we have call it "Project Vishnu"..We can then debate it

I have no advise to proffer since I belong to the silent majority. I'd probably assimilate in other cultures and try to make the best of opportunities available at any given point in time.

Reg. Vishnu, I'd rather be Siva and focus on regeneration than preservation. The community IMHO cannot be redeemed from it's present state, too late to redeem. Maybe, just maybe, some similar community will rise from the values and ethos left behind by my community.

It is unfair to blame an individual for the fate of a community. The community is destined to wither due to many reasons, and not because of one person.

Nobody is preventing Palakkad Iyers from having 10 children, yet many choose to have 1 child, or none. The community may still exist, but may have assimilated with other communities and cultures. PIs are digging their own graves by not following the example of Jains, who are still flourishing as Jains despite being a tiny minority.

I'd say it is pointless to lament, rather it is better to live in the 'here and now' and let future generations decide their fates.

Reciting hymns and living an austere lifestyle can be achieved by anyone regardless of caste or creed.
hi
just i mentioned my experiences in palakkad gramam life...........the whole village was my THAAYADHIS,,,,,means my

cousins..........now the whole villlage occupied by other castes....very tiny number brahmins are there many palakkad gramams....

just info i mentioned...not for arguement/debate....even i said probably.... the same word many from other palakkad gramam

members.....not only iyers suffered...but many namboothiri/varasyar/menon/nair families too in palakkad....

I was reading our Honorable President's address on the eve of our Republic Day ..This is what Pranabda had to say

Quote:

India must find its own solutions to its problems. We must be open to all knowledge; to do otherwise would be to condemn our nation to the misery of a stagnant mire. But we should not indulge in the easy option of mindless imitation, for that can lead us to a garden of weeds. India has the intellectual prowess, the human resource and financial capital to shape a glorious future. We possess a dynamic civil society with an innovative mindset. Our people, whether in villages or cities, share a vibrant, unique consciousness and culture. Our finest assets are human.

Quote:

What a beautiful speech ..I replaced India & nation with Tambrahm community..Here it goes:

Tambrahm community must find its own solutions to its problems. We must be open to all knowledge; to do otherwise would be to condemn our community to the misery of a stagnant mire. But we should not indulge in the easy option of mindless imitation, for that can lead us to a garden of weeds.

Tambrahm community has the intellectual prowess, the human resource and financial capital to shape a glorious future. We possess a dynamic civil society with an innovative mindset. Our people, whether in villages or cities, share a vibrant, unique consciousness and culture. Our finest assets are human

Let us step side...Let us put on an optimistic green hat and then think... Assume that what ever problems that had plagued the community will wither away..Here is a beckon to a glorious future..How do we see this happen?

I was reading our Honorable President's address on the eve of our Republic Day ..This is what Pranabda had to say

Quote:

India must find its own solutions to its problems. We must be open to all knowledge; to do otherwise would be to condemn our nation to the misery of a stagnant mire. But we should not indulge in the easy option of mindless imitation, for that can lead us to a garden of weeds. India has the intellectual prowess, the human resource and financial capital to shape a glorious future. We possess a dynamic civil society with an innovative mindset. Our people, whether in villages or cities, share a vibrant, unique consciousness and culture. Our finest assets are human.

Quote:

What a beautiful speech ..I replaced India & nation with Tambrahm community..Here it goes:

Tambrahm community must find its own solutions to its problems. We must be open to all knowledge; to do otherwise would be to condemn our community to the misery of a stagnant mire. But we should not indulge in the easy option of mindless imitation, for that can lead us to a garden of weeds.

Tambrahm community has the intellectual prowess, the human resource and financial capital to shape a glorious future. We possess a dynamic civil society with an innovative mindset. Our people, whether in villages or cities, share a vibrant, unique consciousness and culture. Our finest assets are human

Let us step side...Let us put on an optimistic green hat and then think... Assume that what ever problems that had plagued the community will wither away..Here is a beckon to a glorious future..How do we see this happen?

Won't happen. Pranab will give his prepared speech and move on. We are about 50 years too late. No point crying over spilt milk.

There are many other communities and even nations that need to be more worried about their future than the tambrahm community. In my opinion tambrahm community is secure. In fact it can help resurrect the others who are deteriorating rapidly and in highly self destructive ways. I am more optimistic than ever about the future of the community.

There are many other communities and even nations that need to be more worried about their future than the tambrahm community. In my opinion tambrahm community is secure. In fact it can help resurrect the others who are deteriorating rapidly and in highly self destructive ways. I am more optimistic than ever about the future of the community.

Dear Sir,

I'm happy you're optimistic about the community's future, but I'm interested in knowing the source of your optimism. Too many instances of girls marrying outside the community cannot be dismissed as stray incidents.

In the case of Palghat Iyers, it is an established fact that the community is not immune to Kerala's plummeting Hindu and Christian birth rates. Even then, many Hindus prefer to have just one child. Many PIs have moved out of India and it is a fact that they are going extinct. The situation is indeed alarming, but acceptance of realities will ensure peace of mind.

Personally, I feel the only Brahmins left in India will be the Pandeys and Shuklas and Mishras and Tiwaris etc. Their population is increasing somewhat, they will ensure a 'Brahmin' presence in India for quite some time to come.

Quote:

Quote:

The Tamil Brahmins can survive only if brahmins can survive in India as a "caste" and, for that, there must exist conditions which allow the caste structure of our Indian society to survive. As far as Tabras of Kerala or TN are concerned, I will again say that the threat to its survival as a caste comes from the "mindless imitation" of the newfangled ideas from the west, like equality of all people, equality of man and woman, etc. This aping has now come to the rather curious stage that government budgets contain sizeable allocations to look after stray dogs, cattle, etc., but mendicants, beggars and other wanderers have no similar consideration.

So, if we take the President's advice sincerely, the only way to ensure that our girls and boys do not marry outside our caste, is to ensure that our tabra girls are not educated beyond the school level and our boys who dare to marry outside our caste should be deprived of their share of bequeathed assets. May be this can be named as the Vishnu Program. But are there any takers?

The Tamil Brahmins can survive only if brahmins can survive in India as a "caste" and, for that, there must exist conditions which allow the caste structure of our Indian society to survive. As far as Tabras of Kerala or TN are concerned, I will again say that the threat to its survival as a caste comes from the "mindless imitation" of the newfangled ideas from the west, like equality of all people, equality of man and woman, etc. This aping has now come to the rather curious stage that government budgets contain sizeable allocations to look after stray dogs, cattle, etc., but mendicants, beggars and other wanderers have no similar consideration.

So, if we take the President's advice sincerely, the only way to ensure that our girls and boys do not marry outside our caste, is to ensure that our tabra girls are not educated beyond the school level and our boys who dare to marry outside our caste should be deprived of their share of bequeathed assets. May be this can be named as the Vishnu Program. But are there any takers?

There won't be takers. Events will take their course, and course correction is difficult at this late stage. 'Brahmins' may become extinct, but some other community will fill the vacuum.

Dear Sir,

I'm happy you're optimistic about the community's future, but I'm interested in knowing the source of your optimism. Too many instances of girls marrying outside the community cannot be dismissed as stray incidents.

In the case of Palghat Iyers, it is an established fact that the community is not immune to Kerala's plummeting Hindu and Christian birth rates. Even then, many Hindus prefer to have just one child. Many PIs have moved out of India and it is a fact that they are going extinct. The situation is indeed alarming, but acceptance of realities will ensure peace of mind.

Personally, I feel the only Brahmins left in India will be the Pandeys and Shuklas and Mishras and Tiwaris etc. Their population is increasing somewhat, they will ensure a 'Brahmin' presence in India for quite some time to come.

Dear Ash,

Nature is built in such a way that only those groups that hold on to values will be supported in the long run. To me survival of the fittest means survival of the righteous. Somehow I have an intuitive feeling that there will be reversal happening in the world in favor of such righteous people. So my optimism is based on my belief in Hinduism and my own intuition.

Too many instances of girls marrying outside the community cannot be dismissed as stray incidents.

Marrying outside has always been a threat, not only for brahmins, but for all castes. This is not a variable that affects only a particular community. Perhaps, brahmins are more vulnerable now due to the community being dispersed over the globe. Those who are on the periphery would definitely stray. The core would remain, perhaps refined, tuned to certain realities, but retaining its identity. Just my opinion.

The Tamil Brahmins can survive only if brahmins can survive in India as a "caste" and, for that, there must exist conditions which allow the caste structure of our Indian society to survive.

Which means that as long as "Reservations" exist, brahmins would continue to flourish... and perhaps vice versa... !!!

Tambram is only a subset of global (nothing to do with geographical spread) brahmin community; in the past too most of the subsets have divided or merged or formed new sets. This is bound to happen in future too; emerging of new sets or merging will happen when a brahmin leader or acharya is able to attract and influence youngsters. What modern technology has achieved or helped is in the preservation of scriptures and cultures and ready availability. It is said that in the past, within families, members followed different systems - saivam or vaishnavam and they managed it without serious friction.

The best one can do in the present day is to educate oneself, follow all he can in personal life, expose the children to the merits and values of the system followed. Once some youngsters get the faith back and start practicing to the level they are comfortable with, things will change.

I find that the new generation which has gone up in the corporate world either in india or abroad, change after a visit to their gurus or acharyas. It is the guru or mutt or ashram that holds the key to bind the adherents together.

This topic has been discussed before in detail as stated in the OP. The world we live is in constant change - some changes are noticeable in nano seconds or less (with right instruments) and some changes are noticeable over millions of years. The civilization as we know it is about 10000 years in a universe that is estimated to be 14 Billion years old. So communities will come and go in a 'blink of an eye' judging by time scales of the universe- all communities will become extinct at some point and there is nothing anyone can do about this . Even in the last few thousand years great civilizations and religions that were once dominant are extinct now.

The underlying principles that make the changeless-core in these apparent changes will continue to remain intact. There will be new 'Brahmin' like communities that will emerge (it may or may not be called Brahmins) that will have good & bad elements and new forms of discrimination will continue to be established. This is how the world operates and will operate until its extinction.

Universal truths as taught in Science, and Upanishads (and B.Gita) will not go away. There will always be confused people providing incorrect conclusions citing inapplicable verses from such texts as it is happening in this thread itself.

With that said, can our 'TB community' at least hope to preserve its traditions for few more generations? There are some lessons to learn from other communities that have done better.

1. Muslims, Catholics and few other groups emphasize the importance of having many children. Most other communities do not. In order to have more children in a family, the age for marriage has to be in early 20s. Today many in the world and not just in TB communities choose to marry after 30 or so. There is no way such marriages can produce more than one or two children. More than TB girls and boys marrying outside their community, the real issues are two fold :

A. Marriageable age being closer to 30 and
B. Lesser than 3 children per family will ensure the extinction happens sooner with mathematical certainty.

2. Late marriages need not have anything to do with girls getting educated because the issue is with the society itself. There is no reason why someone cannot continue to learn formally or informally while being married and even while having children. India's education system is far too rigid to permit ongoing learning after marriage to earn degrees from legitimate institution. In a different educations system a couple can get married and continue their respective education while being married. If they have children then it will require one of them to suspend education to focus time in raising the children and pick up the formal education after children are able to go to school full time.

3. There is a need for knowledgeable and wise people in any community for any community to prosper. We have many old fools in the TB community who think if they memorize some Sanskrit verses they are wise. They are unable to provide guidance to younger generation based on timeless principles. This is driving away many youngsters to feel any sense of connection to the TB culture. This can be fixed only when older generation who care to get themselves properly educated first.

I do not see item 1, 2 or 3 happening at this time - so the extinction is assured in the next 50 to 100 years.
The good news in my view is that timeless principles from Upanishads are being understood and embraced by many around the world who will make the new community of learned people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back