• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Yenkay Brahmanan?

usaiyer

This is website ,I suppose comprises mainly of members of the Brahman community hailing from different locations from
India and abroad.I am glad to be a part of it and it has helped me to know our co-members in the community
We are as per stats. a minority community ,forming about less than 5% of the TN residents.
we are very poor pretense in public life and do not enjoy an enviable social or economic status,
Many can be poor families and having struggles in daily lives.
Do we have stats about these aspects of our communities.?
Do we have a platform where the needy can express their wants and hope for betterment with community support?
What type of social problems the community members and their wards face in their day to day life?
Are their welfare attended to by the present form of associations that are there ?Is there any gap that needs ti be filled.?

I am just requesting our august members to throw light on the present status of our community and their problems as they see it?
Many of you entertaining similar views can give a proper shape to the points raised in this post to take it forward in the larger interest of the community.Thank you.

This is website ,I suppose comprises mainly of members of the Brahman community hailing from different locations from
India and abroad.I am glad to be a part of it and it has helped me to know our co-members in the community
We are as per stats. a minority community ,forming about less than 5% of the TN residents.
we are very poor pretense in public life and do not enjoy an enviable social or economic status,
Do we have a platform where the needy can express their wants and hope for betterment with community support?
What type of social problems the community members and their wards face in their day to day life?
Are their welfare attended to by the present form of associations that are there ?Is there any gap that needs ti be filled.?

I am just requesting our august members to throw light on the present status of our community and their problems as they see it?
Many of you entertaining similar views can give a proper shape to the points raised in this post to take it forward in the larger interest of the community.Thank you.

As a preliminary reply to the post I wish to picturise what we are. as I understand, for information and comments from the members :

Who are we (Tamil Brahmins) ?

Dravidans – as we hail from Indian peninsula (engulfed by 3 coasts).

Tamizhans - as our mother tongue is Tamil.

Parpanars - as we were watchmen of society overseeing dharmic way of life.

Andhanars – as we also lived in the inner circle of society.

Brahmins – as we see Brah’man in everything around.

Brahmacharies – as we are disciplined students of the Vedas.

Pandits – as we learnt Vedas & Vedanatas and other holy texts.

Poor – as we were asked to live only with what others offered.

Vegetarians – as we believe in and practice ahimsa.

Trustworthy – as we speak truth.

Peaceful – as we believe and rely in God’s will and protection.

Priests - as we pray for all but not preach.

Teachers - as we shared our wisdom with others.

Dependable - as we uphold Dharma and work with honesty.

Law abiding – as we respect the law.

Gurus - as we endeavor to erase ignorance.

Indians- as we are inhabitants of the Bhaarata Desam since time immemorial.

Indian citizen – as we adore the Indian Constitution.

Secular - as we are truly religious.

Rational - as we respect others and value their views.

Conservatives - as we value and uphold traditions.

Hated - as we worked for moral discipline in the society.

Out casted – as are painted culprits for all social evils by the propagandists..

Harassed – as we are too gentle to oppose.

Envied – as are optimistic / progressive.

Targetted - as are envied for our dharmic values/opposition to corruption.

Insulted – as we regret errors / omissions.

Attacked – as we are obstacles to opportunists.

Yet Determined – as we continue to work with integrity to India & its citizens.

Each generation has its own priorities.
I had posted this years ago.

True to an extent. But there are very learned members from various other communities. The site is open and the Owner of the site welcomes all communities. We have Non-Brahmins, We have Andhra Brahmins, we have had Non-believers among us.
We have had Muslims, etc. So I will be aware of it.

Based on Statistics there are a total of roughly around 42.50 Lakh Brahmins (Iyers, Iyengars, Other State Brahmins) in Tamilnadu and another 29.50 Lakh Tamil/Telugu Brahmins in Other States in India and Outside India. This comes to roughly around 6.5% of the Population and Not 1%.

On a National Scale - there are around 12.80 Crore Brahmins in India belonging to various states like Maharashtra, Uttar Pradesh, West Bengal, Orissa, AP/TG etc. IN fact there are as many brahmins as there are muslims in India.(16% of Hindu Population is Brahmin)

Another fact - The RSS Leadership is 82% Brahmin and the BJP Core Members numbering 578000 across India have around 62% Brahmins.

Check out the BJP Party at the National Cadre and State Cadres:-

Jaishankar - EAM - Brahmin, Nirmala Sitharaman - FM - Brahmin, Fadnavis - Former Maha CM - Brahmin, Tanmay Mishra - Orissa Cadre - Brahmin

Tamil Brahmins have been reduced to 1.25% as per 2011 census from ~4% in 2001.

Among major caste groups, ST 1.1% and Brahmins 1.25% and Chettiyar 2% are the lowest.

Census data says: Major Religious population like Christians are 6.12%, Muslims are 5.86%, Jains are 0.12% and Buddhist 0.02%.

Tamil Nadu's total population is 7.21 crores as per 2011 census.

There are gaps in everybody's needs without question. I need a Jumbo jet. I suppose I do not understand your question.

I hope others post their response.

Good topic of discussion.

The problem is that even among members there is no exchange of opinion.
Certain members will keep degrading others as "secular, or as "copy-paters" etc, but have not added an iota of knowledge to the group.
Then some expect a thesis to be presented to them in a platter. Then criticize the type front and not the content.
So good luck.

My answers are in purple. To be honest, my mother tongue is Tamil, and I was born to Brahmin parents.
I never lived in TN, I can barely manage Tamil (writing). My child and my nieces and nephews never learned Tamil. I am an Engineer by education (so I should be a Sudra), I am a businessman (so I suppose I am a vaisya). I never Practiced Brahminism, I do not have a caste identity, I am against violence so I suppose I am not Kshatriya either.

Sometimes I question myself as to whether I belong in this group. I have been here for a very long time and had discussions with stewards, I have learned a lot. I have battle scars to prove it.
I have met wonderful people here. I have become friends with them outside of this forum.

Last edited:
I never lived in TN, I can barely manage Tamil (writing). My child and my nieces and nephews never learned Tamil. I am an Engineer by education (so I should be a Sudra), I am a businessman (so I suppose I am a vaisya). I never Practiced Brahminism, I do not have a caste identity, I am against violence so I suppose I am not Kshatriya either.(#3)

You just cant shake off your caste identify ! It is birth legacy - You can't run away from it - it is shadow that follows you. You change your profession , residence even religion. Caste is ported along with you !

What are the attributes of Brahminsm that are not practiced?

In my opinion, as long as your mother tongue is tamil, you are a tamilian.
With regards to relating the present position / profession to the caste/ status of a brahmin, it is not relevant in the present day socio economic context. However, it is often found mentioned for political reasons mostly in the adverse sense.
The attributes of a brahmin are `to be optimally sensitive to the genuine needs of the world and to advise the concened for timely action'. The hymn in Purusha Suktam `brahmanosya Mukham Asseed' indentifies brahmins as the face of the society and calls on him to see, hear and speak on behalf of all. In other words, they are the representatives of the people in all respects. The personal discipline and the vedic knowledge with them were considered necessary to discharge their duties & responsibilities. They were respected for thier virtues in the past and we conitue to hold the titles of reverance as Iyer, Iyengars, Pandits, etc.
In the current scenerio of democratic governance there is no specific role for Brahmins. However, they continue to practice regious rituals which are of no direct benefit to the society at large, particulary when the demography is changed with the presence of increasing number of people from other religions.
A study of Dharma Sastra (Manu Smriti - translated / commented by an Indian) will throw more lights on the attributes, duties and responsiblities of a Brahmin.
We can hope for more information in the posts yet to come from different quarters.

ths

#7 The role of Brahmins has reversed,Instead of being the leading light of society as they were once,
they have become mostly conduits in the process of performing certain religious rituals .
Second it is doubtful if the community is aware that it has over the years allowed itself to be downgraded and no conscious or concerted attempt is there to go back .The community is weakened by its own intelligence and divisive forces and the pressure on their abilities to sustain them selves economically.
Minor points can come later ,but what is the crux of the problem? Think -tanks can help.

Last edited:
comment on the below article says
Brahmins are the ''new minority'' in Tamil Nadu. Not only a minority but also an insignificant one. WIth a total population of just 2 % they have more or less faded away thanks to the aggressive anti-brahminism practiced by DMK and other political parti ..
I don't understand why sothai Brahmins are hated with a vengeance in TN, when many other so called upper castes are are actively keeping other castes down. Don't jump down my throat for saying sothai, I mean adicha paambe adichindu irukka mudiyumo.

comment on the below article says
Brahmins are the ''new minority'' in Tamil Nadu. Not only a minority but also an insignificant one. WIth a total population of just 2 % they have more or less faded away thanks to the aggressive anti-brahminism practiced by DMK and other political parti ..
I don't understand why sothai Brahmins are hated with a vengeance in TN, when many other so called upper castes are are actively keeping other castes down. Don't jump down my throat for saying sothai, I mean adicha paambe adichindu irukka mudiyumo.

hi

in my words..

1 no unity...

2 lack of community oriented

3 more selfish oriented

4 no aggresive leader

5 young ladies are not much interested in brahminism

6 youth wants escape from tamil nadu

7 more hypocracy

8 just by birth brahmin...not more than that

9 not interested in our own culture

10 more materialistic.....so on...my 2 cents...

just comments...im also same as in the community..

The article '' Only Brahmins can defeat Brahminism" is revealing.
Once the Brahmin moves to a top position,he is more thinking about safeguarding his position and
starts feeling that he should rise above community feelings and does not feel bound to the community .Is this not true and in this respect are we not differing from some other communities?
Nehru for instance ,though a Kashmiri Pandit,he did very little to prevent their exodus from Kashmir.
And his family became more cosmopolitan and the problem of the plight of Brahmins never seems to
have attracted his attention.Is this due to lack of leadership or our lack of bonding factors in our
community or Brahmins are taken for granted because of certain qualities we see in #11

on above point 6 youth wants escape from Tamil nadu - Once there is a quota system and selection for anything is NOT merit only. then youth WILL try all avenues. this brahmin youth going to the west option is far better than what the Tamil youth of SriLanka did, taking up arms- when govt brought in quota since Tamils seem to hog university entrance, all top govt posts etc. Brahmin minority community of Tamil nadu and Tamil minority community of Srilanka were similar at one time around 2 million. I think that the ways in which a dominant minority community reacts to it's subjugation by majority will determine it's survival.

I think members of the community have common problems ,but solutions for these are based on
as if it is an individual problem.Why it is so? Do the youth have community identity,if not why not?
Are our economic problems the driving force for this kind exodus to foreign soil?Even as it is the Tamil
nadu was not a land of opportunities in the sixties for highly educated boys from the community,Few family based businesses seemed to have missed the opportunities of high growth business in TN due their conservatism and political apathy towards businesses.
also points 3 & 4 seem relevant and important to me.

hi

i think...we will survive...may not be tn/india....like jewish state sorrounded by arab states....jewish flourish in

other countries than isreal.....we have big jewish community near my home in USA...i heard that its largest

jewish community in USA and wealthiest too..like KAMALA HARRIS....some kind of tamil brahmin

heritage will survive...we like it or not...some tambrahm blood will survive/revive...some kind identity

crisis will come later...

My nephew was working in a small Texas town, the only other Indian was a Gujarathi Patel speaking broken English. They bonded.

No Brahmin to bond with, No Tamilian either.
So in the modern world, the community is what you find made up of people, who can find common things. So to some people living in agraharams in the interior of Tamil Nadu, things might look bleak. But enterprising TB will find his own group anywhere.
May it be the USA, Delhi, or Australia.
I have lived on 3 continents and visited the other 2. I will survive anywhere.
So I guess I still do not understand what did I lose? I never depended on handouts, I am still not looking for a handout.

I have my personal dignity and self-respect, I will stay and fight for my right. If I can not win I will go somewhere else where I am respected.

If your identity is tied to a melting piece of ice surrounded by sharks, you will be lost. Row your own boat and find a friendly shore. Sending SOS may not be enough.

I don't unerstand why sothai Brahmins are hated with a vengeance in TN, when many other so called upper castes are are actively keeping other castes down. Don't jump down my throat for saying sothai, I mean adicha paambe adichindu irukka mudiyumo.

One important fact tends to be overlooked. How was hatred built up against the Brahmins? By relentless false propaganda for decades that is so powerful that Brahmins themselves believe it and feel guilty.

A simple example can be given. ‘Brahmins are responsible for casteism and prospered from it while other castes suffered’. This is one of the foundations of anti Brahmin propaganda and hatred against the community which is cleverly disguised in Tamil Nadu as ‘social justice’. Thus hatred is perpetuated in the name of justice!

No doubt Brahmins supported the principles of casteism just like the Kshatriyas and Vysyas. But Brahmins hardly ruled, there were few Brahmin kings, and it was the Kshatriyas who enforced the laws of the land including segregation of the Dalits etc. Vysyas enforced casteism in their business (for example even recently by serving in separate cups to Dalits). As far as material prosperity is concerned, Brahmins were supposed to accept whatever was offered as ‘dakshina’ for their services. One finds even in the Mahabharata how Dronar struggled to feed his family until he became the teacher of the young Pandavas and Kauravas.

But by painting Brahmins as the epicenter of casteism, we have a situation in recent decades where those who descended from Kshatriyas or Vysyas are given reservation in some parts of the country as if they were the victims.

Without a doubt the Brahmin community is responsible for not even making a token attempt to counter the false propaganda that they alone were somehow responsible for keeping the evils of casteism going single handedly for centuries. This indifference of the community made it very easy for the DK and it’s offshoots to not only sideline the Brahmins completely but also incite hatred against the community. And that hatred is sadly not easy to remove.

But by painting Brahmins as the epicenter of casteism, we have a situation in recent decades where those who descended from Kshatriyas or Vysyas are given reservation in some parts of the country as if they were the victims.

Iyestji, I am using your post, but I am not against your opinion.

Is this true in entire India? I never felt this Brahmin Hatred outside of Tamil Nadu. Then again I left India in 1974.

Newsrooms in Indian media are not diverse at all, with 106 out of 121 newsroom leadership positions across newspapers, channels, news websites and magazines occupied by Brahmin-Savarnas, according to a report by Oxfam India and the Media Rumble team on the representation of marginalised caste groups in Indian newsrooms. Only five newsroom leadership positions are occupied by people from the Other Backward Communities and six by people from minority communities.

The report studied six English and seven Hindi newspapers, debate shows on 14 channels, 11 digital news outlets and 12 magazines between October 2018 to March 2019.

‘By bad luck, I am a Brahmin” replied the unemployed youth on being asked why he was not working despite having a diploma in mechanical engineering. The year was 1993 and he was standing on the platform of Nanded Railway Station, waiting for the train that may arrive with scheduled delay. My friend, a non-Brahmin looked at me apprehensively, how I will be reacting to such a ludicrous response.

‘You are not a Brahmin”, I replied to him confusing him further “It is said that Brahmins have lots of self-confidence. Brahmins are supposed to have intelligence and someone who couldn’t find work despite being educated cannot claim to be a Brahmin”. His face flushed and he explained how poor his father was and how having no reservations are affecting his employment opportunities, like many others who oppose reservations.

Though this incident happened more than two decades ago, somehow, I could never forget it.

It is apt to remember the following shloka, with reference to this incidence

janmana jayate sudrah samskarat dwij uchchte

veda pathnat bhavet viprah brahma janati iti brahmanah

“By birth one is a sudra, by the culture he possesses one becomes a dvija, by study of the Vedas one becomes a vipra, and one who knows Brahman is a Brahmana.”

To simplify, we can distinguish the spelling difference between Brahmin and Brahman. Brahmin is used mostly when it is denoting the caste, acquired at birth from the patriarchal lineage, whereas Brahman is used to denote those people with higher spiritual wisdom.

Given current conditions and standards of living how many people could qualify to be Brahmana? A difficult question to answer, for caste system or Varna Vyavastha had already transformed our society (for worse, I am sure) from a knowledge/skill based one to a hereditary one.

Last edited:
I have been voicing the pathetic social status of our community....With no alternates in the last decade and with no unity of purpose and completely dejected and demoralized, 50% have married outside community, the remaining have late marriages, mostly single child with growing divorce rates and rising unmarried amongst men . So what is left of the community..We will become a fraction of population of what we are today, in the 22nd century and then dissipate completely...You may like to see my anguish and my calculation in this thread below that I posted 7 years back.

Vganeji
These are unfounded fears
Tamil brahmins may inter mix with other castesand yet they will force their way of life on other communities.
Then there are brahmins in other states in sizeable numbers
They are likely to be politically and economically relevant.
All political partiesc in north have
brahmin advisors. SP BSP in UP have brahmin advisors. W bengal has always had brahmin CMs.
Brahmins are shrewd enough to ally with anyone in power in politiical or business sphere.
All IT companies have brahmin dominance.
Brahmins can never be put down.

Do you know there were brahmin mafia leaders in UP who were helping brahmins They were gunned down in police encpunter.
So there can be militant brahmins
There are also poor brahmins who are scavengers and rickshaw pullers in delhi
So caste disrinctions ars fast reducing

Veda Adhyayanam is our duty & carrying this for future generations is the purpose for being Tamil Brahmin.
All Brahmin families (by Birth only) should get their children strictly marrying within those who followed Brahmin Traditions. Each family should have at least 3 children, at least one boy should be doing Veda Adhyayanam only for the sake of the entire society.
Every moment from now onwards is in our hands and let us do it together.

Entire Hindu society is shaking due to the attacks from Chrislamists; Complete lack of knowledge about our religion within Hindus is a problem. We need to have more Velukkudi Swamigal, Vishaka Hari, type of Upanyasaka. Brahmin society has the responsibility to share & spread the values of Sanatana Dharma to the entire society and for that we should all gain the knowledge about our scriptures

Christianity is fast spreading in Bharatham. There are many individuals who have taken up their roles as pastors, Nuns, Fathers and other religious positions and their dedication is the reason for the growth of Christianity.
We Brahmins should have done this to our society.

Latest ads

Back