• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Who is brahmanan

Status
Not open for further replies.
r ji are you pulling a fast one on sravna with your unexplained stories about mind power. sravna is getting carried away. at the same time the rationalist in you is telling you to be rational. I would not like to be in sravnas shoes LOL

Dear Krish ji,

Nope..I am not pulling a fast one..in fact some time back I also wrote in Forum that when I used to work in a hospital and if I were on duty and I get some dreams/visions of accident victims and dead people trying to touch me and invariably when I get called to the Morgue for conducting an autopsy it will be the same people I saw in my dream. The time of the dream/vision would be much before the person died.

It used to be helpful too getting the dreams/visions cos I would actually be able to actually guess the cause of death faster than other doctors!

Dont ask me how this happens but I use this so called ability to my advantage.

Last edited:
Dear Ashwin,

1.Ants were not an inseparable part of the Dharba grass. Your mom should have taught you to obey her instructions intelligently and not merely like a machine. You did not perhaps pick up that value sufficiently in time. Even today you have not understood the significance because you are not searching for answers and updating what you have understood. And that is another problem. I am leaving what is stupid in this context because it may lead to unnecessary attrition here. If this was the first lesson on rational thought, then I dread to think what more is there in stock.

2.Your dad went to temples in order not to offend his friends and relatives and you knew that. So you did not have an opportunity to pick up that particular value in your early life. There is nothing wrong with that per se. But to think that it is great not to go to temple, or it is great to do no puja at all is nothing but gloating in ignorance.

3.Among the B'lore train accident survivors there are many who believe that it is god who saved them. This is not to say any thing bad about those who died. Just a statement of the idiot from the last bench in the class room. LOL.

The problem with most people in this forum is "Naan pudicha muyaluku moonu kaalu" attitude. Blind belief trumps all. Will your belief in a superior power/ God save you from your fate? For you too, every birthday is a step closer to the grave. Read as many upanisads vedas etc, you'll still be a pile of ashes in the end.

Dear Krish ji,

Nope..I am not pulling a fast one..in fact some time back I also wrote in Forum that when I used to work in a hospital and if I were on duty and I get some dreams/visions of accident victims and dead people trying to touch me and invariably when I get called to the Morgue for conducting an autopsy it will be the same people I saw in my dream. The time of the dream/vision would be much before the person died.

It used to be helpful too getting the dreams/visions cos I would actually be able to actually guess the cause of death faster than other doctors!

Dear Doctor,

This is what they term as 'deja vu'. Sometimes, I get the feeling that I've seen someone somewhere, or a disconcerting feeling that some event has already occurred when in fact it occured in the future.

Of course doc, it will help if you take less Vicodin or Oxycontin!!

Dear Doctor,

This is what they term as 'deja vu'. Sometimes, I get the feeling that I've seen someone somewhere, or a disconcerting feeling that some event has already occurred when in fact it occured in the future.

Of course doc, it will help if you take less Vicodin or Oxycontin!!

LOL!

De Ja Vu is totally different from what I described..so you better not appear in my dream..cos if you do that spells an autopsy!Ha Ha Ha

Last edited:
tks,

It seems anything outside of what you believe in is stupid, anything said in agreement of it is brilliant.....

If that simplistic resolution helps you so be it - I have nothing more to add.
Please reflect how quickly you go from critique of a story to judgement of a person

The problem with most people in this forum is "Naan pudicha muyaluku moonu kaalu" attitude. Blind belief trumps all. Will your belief in a superior power/ God save you from your fate? For you too, every birthday is a step closer to the grave. Read as many upanisads vedas etc, you'll still be a pile of ashes in the end.

Dear Ashwin,

OK. I agree that "neenga pudichcha muyalukku moonu kalu". What is fate? Please answer. Why should any thing save me from that thing called "fate". Is it not because you think "fate" is something horrible? What gives you the idea that fate is that bad? I do not look at life the way you look at. I do not run a race towards my grave after accepting it as the be all and end all--(goal?)-- of my existence. I enjoy the beauty of life every day every second including the beauty of it that it will all end one day here leaving an unfinished and yet beautiful painting. May be I may come back here or go somewhere else to play another glorious innings. So I play this innings with all my focus on it here and look to play the next innings somewhere else when it comes or just take rest somewhere. I was ashes and I became this and I have no worry about becoming ashes again. LOL. Upanishads and vedas interest me as much as my pet subjects Physics and philosophy. I have respect for those very fine minds which have given me the meaning of all those scriptures in their karikas, sutras and bhashyas. I am happy that I am able to understand all this and to come here and tell you this.

If you are young, please spend a lot of your time in reading. After that you will come to the conclusion that the muyal caught by you has really three legs only. Thanks.

Last edited:
Dear Krish ji,

Dear Renuka,

You have perhaps that rare ability to see things in a different dimension which is not known to human mind normally. You can develop that ability and see what it is by going till the end of that road - that is if you are bold. There are methods to do that. You can start keeping notes of such episodes and then try to identify the common denominator(CD) for them. Then deliberately work with that CD and create such episodes at will. Then go further and find out how far you can go. Like Vivekananda or Paramahansa Yogananda (of the Autobiography of a Yogi fame) you may pass through a phase in which you will be terrified. BUT only you know whether you are made of that kind of stuff to withstand it. Best wishes.

Dear Ashwin,

OK. I agree that "neenga pudichcha muyalukku moonu kalu". What is fate? Please answer. Why should any thing save me from that thing called "fate". Is it not because you think "fate" is something horrible? What gives you the idea that fate is that bad? I do not look at life the way you look at. I do not run a race towards my grave after accepting it as the be all and end all--(goal?)-- of my existence. I enjoy the beauty of life every day every second including the beauty of it that it will all end one day here. May be I may come back here or go somewhere else to play another glorious innings. So I play this innings with all my focus on it here and look to play the next innings somewhere else when it comes or just take rest somewhere. I was ashes and I became this and I have no worry about becoming ashes again. LOL. Upanishads and vedas interest me as much as my pet subjects Physics and philosophy. I have respect for those very fine minds which have given me the meaning of all those scriptures in their karikas, sutras and bhashyas. I am happy that I am able to understand all this and to come here and tell you this.

If you are young, please spend a lot of your time in reading. After that you will come to the conclusion that the muyal caught by you has really three legs only. Thanks.

I appreciate your unbounded optimism. However, the world needs people like me too to point out the not so rosy side. Without a solid balancing act, the entire world will be full of pseudo-jokers with plastic smiles. Just as you expect the best, I expect the worst. And just as you think your worldview is the best, I feel there's nothing wrong in my worldview.

If that simplistic resolution helps you so be it - I have nothing more to add.
Please reflect how quickly you go from critique of a story to judgement of a person
Please, tks, don't lay this on me. You did not provide a critique, you just said it was stupid, that is all. That is why I asked for an explanation and you are continuing to refuse to provide one -- this has been your modus in the past as well on other issues of contention. This is the reason for my observation.

Tell me one thing tks, how would you feel if somebody commented in the exact cryptic way as you did (i.e. "stupid story") to a narration of yours from some upanishad you like? Would you consider such a cryptic comment a valid critique?

No it does not provide a resolution, simplistic or otherwise.

Please, tks, don't lay this on me. You did not provide a critique, you just said it was stupid, that is all. That is why I asked for an explanation and you are continuing to refuse to provide one -- this has been your modus in the past as well on other issues of contention. This is the reason for my observation.

Tell me one thing tks, how would you feel if somebody commented in the exact cryptic way as you did (i.e. "stupid story") to a narration of yours from some upanishad you like? Would you consider such a cryptic comment a valid critique?

No it does not provide a resolution, simplistic or otherwise.

I have never given you a story first of all ..

If I share something it is with intent to share something without regard to how it is taken.

There is nothing called valid critique .. only mature discussion.

I am going to stop this discussion now .. you can as always have the last word and call me all kinds of names :)

நான் வெஜிடேரியன் என்று சொல்லிக்கொள்ளுபவர்கள் 'நான'யும் சேர்த்து வெஜிடேரியன் உணவை உண்ணலாமே.

I have never given you a story first of all ..
tks, I never said you did, all I wanted you to do was to put yourself on the other side and imagine what your reaction would be if you were the recipient of the cryptic comment "stupid story".

If I share something it is with intent to share something without regard to how it is taken.
We all share with an intent to share, ....., if you are trying to say you wouldn't mind if it is called stupid, then please state it clearly.

There is nothing called valid critique .. only mature discussion.
Ok, but do you think your cryptic comment qualifies as "mature discussion"? You are still ducking this question, shall I say "as always" as you have said below?

I am going to stop this discussion now .. you can as always have the last word and call me all kinds of names :)
What about this, is this also mature? Please note (a) I have no interest in having the last word, and (b) we have been implacable opponents for long, I don't think I gave any more than what I took from you. Sometime back I offered an olive branch and you apparently accepted. To now say, "call me all kinds of names" with a smiley at the end is disingenuous.

Thank you ....

Dear Sravna,

The above part is not clear to me..Does it mean if I am highly spiritually inclined no power on earth can do anything to me ie my body, say even a Tsunami or an Earthquake 9.0 on the Richter scale

Dear Vgane,
That is not what he means. The problem is we all are too obsessed with the physical aspect, the "matter" over "mind". The mind is much vaster than the physical definition that we have of it. The Tsunami or fukushima can destroy the body, not the mind. I hope you get it..

Ashwin_Ash,
Regarding the dhrabai story, there is a scientific reason behind it. The natural rays falling from the sun and moon are being blocked during the eclipse and . Hence concentration of germs in the air and water is like to increase . Thats the reason we are advised to take bath or clean the homes after the eclipse is complete.

Ref: Post 262

Nara - You have said lot worse about what I have written if not about a story - so it is not something I have to imagine.
In those times there was rarely if ever logic, domain knowledge and useful substance in your criticism from my point of view - hence my reaction was one to ignore most of the time. Again my statement is about what you wrote not about you ...

I said a story is stupid (more like immature - I have given my definition of maturity continuum elsewhere more to explain myself) and I said a post was intelligent. It is interesting that you are not focusing on the intelligent comment !

I am sure there will be opportunity to debate other things in the future ...

Ashwin_Ash,
Regarding the dhrabai story, there is a scientific reason behind it. The natural rays falling from the sun and moon are being blocked during the eclipse and . Hence concentration of germs in the air and water is like to increase . Thats the reason we are advised to take bath or clean the homes after the eclipse is complete.

What happens on cloudy days? Or on Amavasya days?

Let us not give scientific reason for superstitions.

Dear Vgane,
That is not what he means. The problem is we all are too obsessed with the physical aspect, the "matter" over "mind". The mind is much vaster than the physical definition that we have of it. The Tsunami or fukushima can destroy the body, not the mind. I hope you get it..

I definitely mean that, that is your mind gets imperturbable without doubt. But what I really wanted to say is that the mind can make the body also imperturbable. This can be done if you consciously ward off the culprit events that are likely to harm you in the future. The events would not happen one way or the other. This is my theory.

....I said a story is stupid (more like immature - I have given my definition of maturity continuum elsewhere more to explain myself) and I said a post was intelligent. It is interesting that you are not focusing on the intelligent comment !...
tks, do you think your two word comment was mature in your maturity continuum? Do you think whatever you consider as immature is ipso facto immature and therefore, calling it stupid is quite mature?

I have not been able to get a straight answer for the comment you made -- your skill in dodging and diverting is impressive -- and you want me to comment on some other post that you thought was intelligent? This is another diversionary tactic, the question I want to raise is your comment, which was irrational, immature, and far from the spirit of fair discussion. I had no interest in challenging you about what you considered intelligent, not because it was not challengeable, but because I couldn't get an answer from you even for a straight forward question about what you said, i.e. your own words, what chance do I have of getting one on a much more nebulous topic like what you consider intelligent.

In any case, since you ask, I will comment. The two examples that were cited in that post have rational explanations, and therefore they don't throw any light on the irrational idea that throwing water at the sun will reach their ancestors. I don't find anything intelligent in that post, and neither do I think the Guru Nanak story narrated stupid or immature. To call it stupid was immature.

BTW, there is a story about Adi Shankara and Baja Govindam with some parallel to this one, do you consider that story to be stupid too?

My friends especially brahmin friends have nicknamed me as kristava brahmanan, since i speak tamil as they speak, i am a vegetarian, i wear dhothi as panchakacham, i read scriptures always, i mingle with brahmins, i learnt sanskrit and above all these, my wife is a brahmin.

To the extent i know, a brahmin is one who seeks brahman, the eternal truth (unmai paramporul), who has realized brahman, who practises brahman

tks, do you think your two word comment was mature in your maturity continuum? Do you think whatever you consider as immature is ipso facto immature and therefore, calling it stupid is quite mature?

I have not been able to get a straight answer for the comment you made -- your skill in dodging and diverting is impressive -- and you want me to comment on some other post that you thought was intelligent? This is another diversionary tactic, the question I want to raise is your comment, which was irrational, immature, and far from the spirit of fair discussion. I had no interest in challenging you about what you considered intelligent, not because it was not challengeable, but because I couldn't get an answer from you even for a straight forward question about what you said, i.e. your own words, what chance do I have of getting one on a much more nebulous topic like what you consider intelligent.

In any case, since you ask, I will comment. The two examples that were cited in that post have rational explanations, and therefore they don't throw any light on the irrational idea that throwing water at the sun will reach their ancestors. I don't find anything intelligent in that post, and neither do I think the Guru Nanak story narrated stupid or immature. To call it stupid was immature.

BTW, there is a story about Adi Shankara and Baja Govindam with some parallel to this one, do you consider that story to be stupid too?

Nara - Happy New year!

Please review the thread of interaction around this topic. I said a story as a 'stupid story' characterizing it as immature.

Now I do not remember in any interaction that you were seeking an explanation out of just the need to understand.

Instead I sensed that you already passed a judgement at which point I did not feel the need to correct.

I offered to explain but explained my concerns that it may not be taken well by you.

If you had said "hey we are all adults, no need for any hesitation - just bring it on " or something like that then it would be a simple thing to get into the contents along with my view on why you were making the statements you were making. I was going to make observation about how you were and are processing information - I did not want to make that statement because it would be going away from content to person which you do all the time (and it is the one that results in ineffective discussion in my view).

I can share more about your style and how that cuts off discussion not only with me but others as well but I will do so only if you ask for that.

The words by themselves do not constitute maturity. Also any teacher regardless of who it is including Sri Sankara does not automatically make me look up to them.

It is the content of their teaching , soundness of logic, appropriateness of context and intent behind the statements that make me look up to a teacher. I do not look up to anyone playing the teacher role as just another person but as a symbol of knowledge in the teaching context .

A story can have great impact to teach something or it can be totally inappropriate.

There are many reasons why I called that story as a 'stupid story'.
Let me just explain at least one of the reasons here.

Mature persons respect others and treat them as they would like to be treated. There is a continuum here but let us use this as a basic starting point that many people are likely to agree though the description of maturity is obviously not complete.

Established religions with their ritualistic traditions have profound reasons and symbolism. I may or may not agree with the reasons and/or the symbolism. But if they are not causing harm to me or others by their actions knowingly or unknowings I think the mature thing is to be respectful of their traditions. This has nothing to do with whether I follow that religion or not.

I think it is immature to throw stones and mock their ritualistic traditions even if they are not seemingly well founded by our 'autobiography'.

In fact our reasoning is irrelevant since our attitude has to be one of respect.

If a religion is causing harm there are respectful ways to deal with those - example would be fights, religious conversions etc. that need to be discussed and acted upon. Rajiv Malhotra takes such an approach. The very act of research into all that is claimed to agree or refute is a scholarly thing to do.

Mocking is immature. Supporting any mocking that happens is equally an immature behavior.

So what is wrong with the story though as a style I am really not all that fond of stories? Nothing but what is wrong is in the context.

The original poster has been mocking many traditions in this thread without making an effort to understand what might be the profound reason of its followers even if he cannot agree. Let me reiterate that understanding here does not mean agreement.

If someone has a question there are respectful ways to raise the question. So in this long series of these posts here is one more about a story with intent to mock and that too out of ignorance of what might be possible explanation.

Immaturity is stupid to put it mildly. My critique was on the specific post and story and not on the person...

It is easy to get answers from me for what I say if the question was a true question to understand (not to agree necessarily) and if the question is asked without prior judgment.

Regards

....Please review the thread of interaction around this topic. I said a story as a 'stupid story' characterizing it as immature.

Now I do not remember in any interaction that you were seeking an explanation out of just the need to understand.

tks, take a look at this http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/14581-who-brahmanan-22.html#post222197. If this is not seeking an explanation what is I know not.

Your two word response "stupid story" was immature, that point still stands your long post has not changed that fact ....

My friends especially brahmin friends have nicknamed me as kristava brahmanan, since i speak tamil as they speak, i am a vegetarian, i wear dhothi as panchakacham, i read scriptures always, i mingle with brahmins, i learnt sanskrit and above all these, my wife is a brahmin.

To the extent i know, a brahmin is one who seeks brahman, the eternal truth (unmai paramporul), who has realized brahman, who practises brahman

Dear Sri Asirvadam,

That's great! Do you follow all the Hindu customs and celebrate Hindu Festivals too?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back