• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

To the younger generation on this forum: Do you prefer following the Neo-Vedanta version of Hinduism versus the orthodox version?

There are some orthodox cultural items that I still like to follow like SandhyaVandhanam (don't do everyday, but haven't left it either) and AvaniAvittam; however, I don't find it practical to try to follow every aspect of what is outlined in Dharma Shastras or blindly worshipping the Sankaracharyas as Bhagavan, especially having been born and raised abroad. Also, some aacharams like ecchal make sense to me, but I'm not too sure I understand why I need to really follow the others in modern day times.

I find myself enjoying the more modern day Hindu movements like Chinmaya Mission or Arsha Vidya Gurukulam, as opposed to the traditional Shankaracharya lineage. That being said, I definitely want to still have the tradition of Veda Pathasalas so that we can continue to have vaadyars/shastris and temple culture.

Does anyone else feel this way? What are other's thoughts?

Are there other neo-Vedantic Hindu movements that we should also be wary of? Ramakrishna Mission seems like it can be subverted very easily with Western Universalism. I never liked ISKCON. I also am not a fan of the pseudo-spiritual movements like the Art of Living. I'm more neutral about Sadhguru and Isha Foundation for right now.

I do not qualify as Younger Generation.
But I too belong to Chinmaya Mission and Arsha Vidya.
I have attended the Ramakrishna Mission, I have visited Gokul the wonderful Foodservice from ISKON.
I do like the Isha Foundation.

I am not into ritualism.

hi

i had traditional veda patashala study....but i feel ..community has to respect vadyars/temple priests....

we like vadyars/temple priests for our rituals....but in christianity/other religions.....priests are more

respected than hinduism....even newly elected senator from georgia USA is reverend pastor from church...

but hinduism....vadyars/ priests for granted....so younger generations are not attracted towards

traditional system of vedic studies....there is a lot of social/economical issues....as a community....

we have some attitudes towards vadyars/priests.....im balanced....some problems with vadyars/priests too..

I consider vadyars is a profession or a trade.
Some of the Priest do a lot more for their congregation than rituals. They take it as a calling.
So to equate Vadyars with a minister is not right.
But we are digressing from the thread topic.
I learned a lot from Swami Chinmayanada than the shastrigal.
But then again I was not impressed with ritualism.

It is a personal choice. Probably we are all wrong (or right) as no one really knows where we are going.

hi

i had traditional veda patashala study....but i feel ..community has to respect vadyars/temple priests....

we like vadyars/temple priests for our rituals....but in christianity/other religions.....priests are more

respected than hinduism....even newly elected senator from georgia USA is reverend pastor from church...

but hinduism....vadyars/ priests for granted....so younger generations are not attracted towards

traditional system of vedic studies....there is a lot of social/economical issues....as a community....

we have some attitudes towards vadyars/priests.....im balanced....some problems with vadyars/priests too..
I respect Vaadyars for going through the Veda Pathasala system. I also want to keep the temple culture going because that is our heritage and history.

That being said, I believe the Vaadyars need to educate the public on the vast knowledge of what exists in Vedas beyond just doing temple rituals.

Vedas is knowledge. We need those who went through the Pathasalas to spread the practical knowledge to the public.

I do not qualify as Younger Generation.
But I too belong to Chinmaya Mission and Arsha Vidya.
I have attended the Ramakrishna Mission, I have visited Gokul the wonderful Foodservice from ISKON.
I do like the Isha Foundation.

I am not into ritualism.
I'm somewhere in between.

I'm not blindly into ritualism, but I like some of them.

Avani Avittam is more of paying homage to my ancestors more so than it is a ritual to me.

Likewise, I don't mind the rituals that are connecting us with nature, be it Sun worship or Fire worship.

Other than that, I do believe I've received a lot more knowledge from Arsha Vidya than from a Shastri or from the Mathas.

I consider vadyars is a profession or a trade.
Some of the Priest do a lot more for their congregation than rituals. They take it as a calling.
So to equate Vadyars with a minister is not right.
But we are digressing from the thread topic.
I learned a lot from Swami Chinmayanada than the shastrigal.
But then again I was not impressed with ritualism.

It is a personal choice. Probably we are all wrong (or right) as no one really knows where we are going.
Based on your last statement, I feel like you are an agnostic overall?

The Arsha Vidya Gurukulam in US which I visited with my family is some thing I liked.I would like to visit and spend time
in my old days there. I agree with you #1 about Iskon. though
they have a vast network all over.
Ramakrishna mission preaches less ,but have lot of social service and educational activities.
Adi Sankara was not a ritualist ,but I feel I have to read more of his works to understand what he has done for the
upliftment of Hindu Religion,

The Arsha Vidya Gurukulam in US which I visited with my family is some thing I liked.I would like to visit and spend time
in my old days there. I agree with you #1 about Iskon. though
they have a vast network all over.
Ramakrishna mission preaches less ,but have lot of social service and educational activities.
Adi Sankara was not a ritualist ,but I feel I have to read more of his works to understand what he has done for the
upliftment of Hindu Religion,

I dont know the intentions of Adi Sankaracharya. But the current Sankaracharyas seem to be pushing rituals, aacharams, and Guru Bhakti more so than any Advaita Vedanta philosophical thinking. This is based upon what I've heard from the Anugraha Bhaashanams.

Ramakrishna Mission is okay -> my main concern with them is all Gods are equals so then they say Jesus is also a Hindu God. This type of thinking allows for subversion.

hi

i agreed modern day ramakrishna mission/arsha vidya gurukulam/ISCKON is okay for liberals....

some of us more conservatives too....a doctor is prescibing medicine....becoz he is expert in medicine..

we take medicine according to his prescription...but we never as ITS INGREDIENTS...like wise

vadhyars are prescribing based on vedas/shastras.....we like it or not.....we all like AVANI AVITTAM...

but we dont know the meaning of avani avittam mantras....but we dont want to miss it..

i visited ramakrishna mission/chinmaya mission/arsha vidya gurukulam in USA and ISCKON temples too..

but i prefer balance approach....not on particular is correct...like....SARVA DEVA NAMAKARAM

KESAVAM PRATI GACCHATI....EKAM SAT VIPRAH BAHUDHAA VADANTI...

Based on your last statement, I feel like you are an agnostic overall?
I do not like labels, and sometimes written words can be misinterpreted.
I believe in Advaita, just like Adi Shankara and Swami Chinmayananda. If they were agnostic maybe I am agnostic.

I was involved in building Temples in the USA. I served as Puja Committee and Religious committee chairman. I have been Chairman of the board of Hindu center.

Have I evolved over 70 years? Yes, I have.

I dont know the intentions of Adi Sankaracharya. But the current Sankaracharyas seem to be pushing rituals, aacharams, and Guru Bhakti more so than any Advaita Vedanta philosophical thinking. This is based upon what I've heard from the Anugraha Bhaashanams.

Ramakrishna Mission is okay -> my main concern with them is all Gods are equals so then they say Jesus is also a Hindu God. This type of thinking allows for subversion.
We belong to Kanchi Matt. My parents took me there some 60 years ago. The Shankaracharya was giving Charnamrit to the devotees, One lady had her hand out, a priest came running out and whispered in Shankaracharya's ears, and he refused to serve that lady (i was told she was a Widow). I lost respect for this phony Guru that day. I would have walked out too but I did not want to insult my parents.
But I can never respect that practice.

I am part of the Women's rescue group. We provide aid to women in distress.
Yes, it is my personal judgment, and I believe I am capable of making my own choice. I do not impose my views on others.

We belong to Kanchi Matt. My parents took me there some 60 years ago. The Shankaracharya was giving Charnamrit to the devotees, One lady had her hand out, a priest came running out and whispered in Shankaracharya's ears, and he refused to serve that lady (i was told she was a Widow). I lost respect for this phony Guru that day. I would have walked out too but I did not want to insult my parents.
But I can never respect that practice.

I am part of the Women's rescue group. We provide aid to women in distress.
Yes, it is my personal judgment, and I believe I am capable of making my own choice. I do not impose my views on others.
Are you talking about Chandrasekhara Saraswati? At least in the USA, he is worshipped by some orthodox Brahmins as a God with the same zeal that Christians worship Jesus.

Also, some aacharams like ecchal make sense to me
This is a fairly common scene in Chennai and possibly in other progressive societies in India.

Three friends A, B and C go to an ice cream bar and order 3 cones - chocolate, butterscotch and strawberry. A licks the chocolate cone a few times and then passes it to B who does the same with the butterscotch before passing it to C who completes the cycle by passing his/ her cone to A. The cycle repeats for as long as there is some ice cream left.

I did not have an orthodox upbringing but I get a deep feeling of revulsion merely seeing this. I feel the (traditional) observance of Echchal makes all the more sense in these modern times.

Are you talking about Chandrasekhara Saraswati? At least in the USA, he is worshipped by some orthodox Brahmins as a God with the same zeal that Christians worship Jesus.
They may not be wrong. It is the true translation of the mahavakya.
Aham Brahamsmi.
I am not there yet.

This is a fairly common scene in Chennai and possibly in other progressive societies in India.

Three friends A, B and C go to an ice cream bar and order 3 cones - chocolate, butterscotch and strawberry. A licks the chocolate cone a few times and then passes it to B who does the same with the butterscotch before passing it to C who completes the cycle by passing his/ her cone to A. The cycle repeats for as long as there is some ice cream left.

I did not have an orthodox upbringing but I get a deep feeling of revulsion merely seeing this. I feel the (traditional) observance of Echchal makes all the more sense in these modern times.
What's the revulsion you're feeling? I didn't follow.

I said aacharams/traditions like echhal make sense. But some don't. I don't know what the day of cutting your hair/nails has anything to do with science, morals, or dharm.

Last edited:
I am not a young person.
Honestly there is nothing which orthodox or Neo...none of us are reinventing the wheel.

Its just eternal timeless knowledge /wisdom and aligning ourselves to it in stages.

If we get fossilized and make anything an identity only then it becomes orthodox or neo.

Self will auto align if we are sincere in our surrender.

Last edited:

Again it is culture,
During Catholic communion, both clergy and laity received the consecrated wine by drinking from the chalice, after receiving a portion of the consecrated bread,

In Algeria, it is common for families to sit around either a modern kitchen table or a small round table low to the floor and to share food from common bowls or plates.

Even in Bengal family members share the same rice heaped in the center.

We like or dislike according to our upbringing and then we modify it,

I do not think my way is the right way. Or your way is wrong.

I KNOW MANY OF MY RELATIVE GUYS WHO ARE INTO IT SECTOR AND MOVED TO FOREIGN COUNTRIES AND HAVE FORGOTTEN OUR CULTURE DUE TO EITHER THE LIFE STYLE THERE OR BECAUSE OF SHYNESS AS KEEPING VIBUTHI ON FOREHEAD AND GOING TO OFFICE IS FELT STRANGE BY SOME OF THEM. HOW TO CORRECT THEM IS REALLY A QUESTION MARK

After going through the item #18 of Shri Prasad, I was seeing
the serial 'Bhagyalakshmi' in Vijay TV where I observed that in
a birthday party after cake cutting ,one big piece from that is exchanged among members ,each one biting out a bit from it and enjoying it. Even in public places like a restaurant I have seen people sharing food item from the same bowl .The
children also follow similar practice. Soucham is important
and best learned at home .Whatever good practices we want to pass on to our youngsters should be followed by parents at home. Charity begins at home.

After going through the item #18 of Shri Prasad, I was seeing
the serial 'Bhagyalakshmi' in Vijay TV where I observed that in
a birthday party after cake cutting ,one big piece from that is exchanged among members ,each one biting out a bit from it and enjoying it. Even in public places like a restaurant I have seen people sharing food item from the same bowl .The
children also follow similar practice. Soucham is important
and best learned at home .Whatever good practices we want to pass on to our youngsters should be followed by parents at home. Charity begins at home.
I got to agree, its just being clinically safe.

Sharing of saliva isn't hygienic.
If we look at it from a medical point of view, it isn't a safe practice.

Saliva can transmit many disease ranging from dental infections to Covid 19.

Even in public places like a restaurant I have seen people sharing food item from the same bowl .
This sight is all too common.

And people, these days, going straight to restaurants after a haircut. If you stay in Chennai, you know that in
most restaurants, in addition to the ceiling fans, they have huge/ powerful pedestal fans going at full blast. Any 'clean up dusting' done in the saloon after a haircut is only superficial. Do they consider the high probability of loose hairs from their bodies and clothes mixing with the food items of other diners?
Sadly, for many people (these days) all traditional beliefs/ practices (including hygienic practices) are irrational and they are ready to 'throw the baby out with the bathwater'.

While, not everything 'old is gold' some traditional practices are good even today and possibly will be good even tomorrow!

Yes, you should practice good hygiene. But find out the reason. Doing any practice without reason may not be worth following.
We do some things due to superstition, even if it is silly. As long as it does no harm, I can tolerate it.

Our own Rajiji said that she wears her lucky sari for special occasions, I suppose that is ok.
So I do understand we have an aversion for Echhai, because of hygiene.
But I never understood Patthu.

Sangomji explained it as
The concept of "Pathu" varies, IMO. Highly orthodox people of old used to term any food - with the exception of milk, and water - as Pathu. So, Chapathi was Pathu for them just as Dosa is; but fried items were not classified as Pathu if there was no prior cooking. Therefore, Poori had no Pathu, but Potato Bonda was Pathu.

The concept of "pathu" as explained by PJji was useful in the days before refrigeration. It has lost its meaning in modern days.
Etchi has relevance because of Hygiene consideration.

A younger TB friend here in the USA still follows something akin to "pathu", and it is hilarious.
We were eating dinner in their house sitting at a dining table. It was a typical TB food, some of the items were on the table and other food was on the counter. He had a small petri dish of water by his plate. Every time he will touch that water before reaching for the next item, nobody else was using this practice. I could not suppress my curiosity and I asked for an explanation. He gave me this explanation, that "it is Pathu". I wanted his explanation, he really struggled to give a meaningful explanation. LOL

In Tanzania, the Maasai tribe have an unusual tradition. They get offended if you refuse it. (that is off my list).

Blood is obtained by nicking the jugular artery of a cow precisely, allowing for blood-letting that doesn’t kill the animal. Mixed blood and milk is used as a ritual drink in special celebrations, or given to the sick.

Don't ask for salt when at a host's place in Egypt​

Looks like Egyptians get offended easily. So, if you are invited over for dinner and want to add more salt to your dish, dare not touch the saltshaker because Egyptians feel it is equivalent to insulting the host. Oops!

Throw the baby for good luck in India​

This ritual is mostly followed in Karnataka where newborn babies are thrown off the 50-feet high Sri Santeswar temple. Before you jump to a conclusion; the babies are obviously caught by the family in a cloth. Couples who are blessed with a baby after taking a vow at the temple follow this 500-year-old tradition. It is believed to bring good luck to the babies. Don't know about the babies, but I sure wish we could throw some politicians without catching them.

Eating the dead’s ash in Venezuela and Brazil​

Sure one misses their loved one's when they pass away, but eating their ash to remember them forever? A little far fetched, isn't it? That is exactly what the Yonamamo tribe from Brazil and Venezuela does. Since tradition forbids them from keeping any body part, it is burned and crushed, and the remains are divided amongst the family members and consumed by all.

Bride kidnapping by Romani Gypsies​

In a particularly disturbing custom followed by Roman Gypsies, kidnapping a girl you like is very much legal. If that wasn't weird enough, kidnapping also means that you've won her and have the right to marry her, provided that you are able to keep her as a hostage for 3-5 days. What can I say? I hope the tradition is discontinued now.

Eating the baby's placenta​

In some countries, mothers eat their own placenta after giving birth to take in other nutrients that the placenta is known to have. This tradition is followed in China, Jamaica, and some parts of India.

Why do we continue to blindly follow such customs?​

Last edited:
Yes, you should practice good hygiene. But find out the reason. Doing any practice without reason may not be worth following.
We do some things due to superstition, even if it is silly. As long as it does no harm, I can tolerate it.

Our own Rajiji said that she wears her lucky sari for special occasions, I suppose that is ok.
So I do understand we have an aversion for Echhai, because of hygiene.
But I never understood Patthu.

Sangomji explained it as

The concept of "pathu" as explained by PJji was useful in the days before refrigeration. It has lost its meaning in modern days.
Etchi has relevance because of Hygiene consideration.

A younger TB friend here in the USA still follows something akin to "pathu", and it is hilarious.
We were eating dinner in their house sitting at a dining table. It was a typical TB food, some of the items were on the table and other food was on the counter. He had a small petri dish of water by his plate. Every time he will touch that water before reaching for the next item, nobody else was using this practice. I could not suppress my curiosity and I asked for an explanation. He gave me this explanation, that "it is Pathu". I wanted his explanation, he really struggled to give a meaningful explanation. LOL

In Tanzania, the Maasai tribe have an unusual tradition. They get offended if you refuse it. (that is off my list).

Don't ask for salt when at a host's place in Egypt​

Looks like Egyptians get offended easily. So, if you are invited over for dinner and want to add more salt to your dish, dare not touch the saltshaker because Egyptians feel it is equivalent to insulting the host. Oops!

Throw the baby for good luck in India​

This ritual is mostly followed in Karnataka where newborn babies are thrown off the 50-feet high Sri Santeswar temple. Before you jump to a conclusion; the babies are obviously caught by the family in a cloth. Couples who are blessed with a baby after taking a vow at the temple follow this 500-year-old tradition. It is believed to bring good luck to the babies. Don't know about the babies, but I sure wish we could throw some politicians without catching them.

Eating the dead’s ash in Venezuela and Brazil​

Sure one misses their loved one's when they pass away, but eating their ash to remember them forever? A little far fetched, isn't it? That is exactly what the Yonamamo tribe from Brazil and Venezuela does. Since tradition forbids them from keeping any body part, it is burned and crushed, and the remains are divided amongst the family members and consumed by all.

Bride kidnapping by Romani Gypsies​

In a particularly disturbing custom followed by Roman Gypsies, kidnapping a girl you like is very much legal. If that wasn't weird enough, kidnapping also means that you've won her and have the right to marry her, provided that you are able to keep her as a hostage for 3-5 days. What can I say? I hope the tradition is discontinued now.

Eating the baby's placenta​

In some countries, mothers eat their own placenta after giving birth to take in other nutrients that the placenta is known to have. This tradition is followed in China, Jamaica, and some parts of India.

Why do we continue to blindly follow such customs?​

I guess those days people used hands to take items instead of spoon so rapidly deteriorating items were treated differently from non rapid deteriorating items.

But whatever said and done, nothing should become a OCD.

'Pathhu' and 'Vizhuppu" have become OCD s with some
people. Luckily we don't have those weird customs obtaining
elsewhere as detailed above. Hindu culture being very ancient
has very much evolved over the years and have lot of hygienic
points for others to follow,
I was standing in the dais when Rajaji was making a public speech in Delhi long time ago and even after a long speech ,he did not even
sip some water kept for speakers. I learnt later that as a practice, some persons don't eat or drink anything outside .
Some people even avoid open dining, and dine privately.
May be ,this custom gradually changing.

Latest ads

Back