• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Power of Brahmins - Recap !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Power of Brahmins..

Sir:

I agree with sri Brahmanyan. Since we have come far far away from the
basic tenets, what we can hope to do is to start observing at least some
of the teachings contained in our Vedas and the Dharma sastras.

In the olden days, at the time of taking leave after finishing the studies, the
Guru gives instructions to the vidyarthis as to how to lead one's life before
undertaking sadhana to realize Brahman , which is the purpose of human
birth. Verses 11.1 to 1.8 of sikshavalli, Taittiriya upanishad contain these
teachings.

It starts like this .. ' Sathyam vadha, dharmam chara , swaadhyayaanma
pramadha........ '

The English translation is more or less like this :

speak Truth; practise righteousness ; do not give up learning ( here it is
veda adhyayanam ) ; give dakshina to Guru ; enter into grihasthasrama
to create progeny so that veda adhyayanam and adhyapanam will
continue.

Do not swerve from the path of Truth and Dharma. Always do good to
others. Do not neglect Veda adhyayanam and Veda adhyapanam ; do
not neglect deva yagna and pithru yagna.

Worship Mother, Father, Guru and guest as God.

Give respect to the elders and wisemen, by offering them seat and (yourself)
standing before them.

Give charity out of your earnings . Give with love and humility and with
shradda.

Whenever you have any doubt as to how to deal with a situation, seek
the advice of wisemen, who have enough experience and learning.

You must do good things only and stay away from bad ones.

As a general rule, we must try to observe the following six dharmas:-

All must do sandhyavandhanam, bachelors must do samithadhanam also.
Second is japa of ishta-devata or such mantras.
Third is doing Homa , that is yagna.
Fourth is devatha -poojanam
Fifth is athithi upacharam
Sixth is viasva devam, that is feeding all the animals.

If we try to practise all or at least some of these, we will be raising
ourselves spiritually. Our spiritual strength will speak the rest.

Thanks for reading this with patience.

Last edited:
The Power of Brahmins - recap!!

Sirs,

Even though the "Subhasishtas" say "Vidya Dadaati Vinayam" - Knowledge gives humility, It is an accepted fact that knowledge raises the ego level of a person. In Sanskrit it is called "Ahamkara". Pride is the outcome of Ego.We as a community have acquired knowledge from time immemorial. Very few people could overcome this natural fault of high ego level. The Upanishadic Dictum "Sathyam Vada" - Speak truth will have no meaning if Ego is not killed. Truth cannot find a place in a person with pride. "Dharmam Chara" - To walk on the path of Dharma cannot be accomplished with high level of Ego in us. Hence it is imperative to be aware of this limitation in us and try to reduce or destroy this impediment in our life, to become a good human being. Very difficult task indeed. But there are paths available in our Spiritual Texts. Easiest among them is Bhakti, utter surrender to Lord. Sri Krishna has given this path in detail in Bhagavad Gita. Pure Bhakti develops positive sides of our character like Love, Compassion.serenity and honesty.

I believe that these are the first few steps towards regaining our Culture of being a good human.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Last edited:
Thanks, Sri Brahmanyan.

I will take it that you are posting on these threads without any fear of personal attacks.

Regards,
Chintana

Mr.KRS.,

First let me clarify that I have never told that I have been attacked at personal level by any one. I fail to understand how my innocuous statement of apprehension (on the basis of the heat and friction created in other threads) in my message to Mr.Vigisesh has given a different meaning , though he has understood correctly and replied. In turn this has attracted the attention of the Administrator to ask me for an "explanation". I do understand the concern of Administration of this Forum to keep the discussions clean and have seen that the Administrator had intervened and done course correction at least five times, when the discussion had gone out of course in another thread.

I hope I have clarified the position fully. Now I request you to turn to the subject proper, since I have nothing more to add.

I feel sorry and seek pardon if I have caused any discomforture to any one by my statement.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

CC: "Chintana" Administrator.

Dear Sri KRS,

Thanks for staying on top of this.

Regards,
Chintana

Dear Brahmanyan Ji,

While agreeing with you somewhat, I am quite disappointed that you would not be forthcoming to 'name the names'. You did level a very serious charge about the postings here in this forum, sir, and when I asked you to to detail it you are not forthcoming. And in addition, you have cited your age as a reason why you can not 'stomach' such vituperative statements.

In fact, I will ask the admins to start a new thread for you to detail your comments, just as to not to distract from this thread. This should be okay for you, should it not be?

Please reconsider your position. Again, it will guide a whole lot of us as to where we have gone wrong. And I have been following your postings and responses closely and I can not even understand your concern based on the responses to your postings. Unless we understand this issue, we are liable to repeat it.

Pranams,
KRS

Rightly said ! Certainly we can be aware of the difference. But by not practicing the division, one does not identify himself with the superficial elements (Starting from deriving pride with associations, ending in ones own capabilities) and one discovers himself without ego. This will help oneself to merge with the existence/divine with pure knowledge and the knots of the heart will be removed.

People are at different maturity levels and people at higher maturity level do not take pride because they know they indeed are nothing by themselves. They do help others in the journey. Ultimately they are clear of all inner contradictions, passions and rest at peace. They spread peace by elevating the levels of other people without taking a name for themselves. They are least bothered about themselves.

Dear Mr.Sankar,

Excellent ! Definitely , Nothing in this world can be accomplished without TRUE LOVE ! that's for sure and with TRUE LOVE , there's no limit for the BODY and MIND to achieve !

To Accomplish whatever you want by LOVE and KINDNESS is the right path , that could be the basic slogan for a " Superior Brahmin " !

I know you are getting disturbed , when I keep re-iterating the word Superior ! but that's a Fact ! - We are comparatively at a higher level than the other fellow beings ......... That need's to be felt !, atleast to make us RESPONSIBLE and RIGHTEOUS in our life path's.

I also do agree with you that this elated power of the Brain does not have to make one egotistic or " RESERVED " from the outer world !

The journey of the " Brahmin " is necessarily to HELP OTHER's in their LIFE JOURNEY's , but how efficiently , we could accomplish this in a systematic manner is under deep thought , here !

Rules

We shall do one thing... we all put our tought as 10 points need to daily... That will improve our bhariminical character...
see once we start doing chanting love and ego less will come automatically... as per my observation if u start chanting god name diffnately our atma will go for good thing only... we shart love others and we will avoid doing ego... more over what ever we are doing it will be end up good...

so this is the power of bramins make superior ... and Every only will think positive about bramins...

Dear All,

Ego is just not the ‘Ahangara’ but it is much more than that. It is ‘self centered’ thinking tied with us for births. One undergoes indefinite ‘sadhana’ for births to eradicate that from the being either by ‘Bhakti’ (devotion) or by ‘Jnana’. One at last is ready to give ones own life (Surrender) for getting rid of ego enforced by ‘Maya’

Eradication of ego is not a basic sadhana but the ultimate attainment for which we strive through. Are we on par with the great ‘bhaktas’ like Nayamars, Alzhwars, not so ancient Thiyagarajar, OOthukadu venkata subbaiyer in south India, Chaitanya, Kabir, Tulasidas, Surdas, Mirabai, Jnaneshwar, Namdev and other jnanis like Shankara , Ramakrishna parmahamsa, Ramana maharishi, Lahari Mahasya, Nisargadatta and others to set example for this society.

Only the ‘God realized’ sets an example for the society. If one is not yet then he is the one who needs help. One does not practice sadhana with an objective of setting example. This by itself amounts to delusion by Maya. ‘Setting example’ is not by objective but happens when one is god realized.

From the time immemorial from the beginning less to end less it is the god who oversees and sustains everything in the manifested and unmanifested world. He has been protecting this world and he alone knows which channel to use for refining whom. This cannot be planned and coordinated by individuals who are not realized. Even a single mind trembles and is not ever constant in the veils of Maya how do you manage many minds of unrealized individuals. The action resulting will be collective ignorance. Our minds need to chew about something (politics, country, race) but refuses to work inward. Let us do that wholly.

Dear rp sankar,

I feel I am just out of a brief discourse on spiritualism after reading your msg !

I have different opinions . Agreed that It's GOD who oversees everthing , a super computer , however one may describe him , but by WAITING for HIM without DOING ONE'S DESTINED WORK IN LIFE ! isn;t going to help !
There are tooooooooooo many unknown things in this world , too many uncertainities in the LIFE of a HUMAN being , but I do not see anyone STOPPING any of their ACTIVITIES / WORK for that reason !

LIFE JUST CONTINUES ! You name it MAYA or her sister CHAYA , any way but It has been proved by many that PEOPLE WHO TAKE ADDITIONAL RISKS THAN OTHERS get something more ! AT Work , u get handsome appraisals / promotions ! In the eyes of GOD , Ur points will be higher when u make the best use of the 6 senses that he has provided
If I take ur analogy then , One does not need to help the NEEDY , the Lesser children of GOD , GOD himself would take care !
I think its the other way round ! GOD WILL help those who HELP OTHERS !
And in the world , there are a lot of permutations and combinations of people- one's BLESSED , the less priveleged , the one;s longing for something , some obstinate people filled with EGO , all types that one can think of !!
But U find everyone DOING his BEST ! WORKING HARD !First of all one cannot lay idle for LIFE unless provided with a free TV with cable connection and free rice for 5 years !!
I feel there is NO REQUIREMENT for LEtting Go the EGO completely , when u can DO MIRACLES controlling it !!

Last edited:
Sirs,

Interesting comments by Mr.Sankar and Mr.Vijisesh. That reminds of the words of Lord Krishna in Gita, the gist of it I give below.

Chapter 3 - Karmayoga: (Ver.4-8)

"Freedom from activity is never achieved by abstaining from action. Nobody can become perfect by merely ceasing to Act. In fact, nobody can ever rest from his activity even for a moment. All are helplessly forced to act by the Gunas."

"A man renounces certain physical actions,but still lets his mind dwell on the objects of his sensual desire, is deceiving himself. He can only be called a hypocrite. The truly admirable man controls his senses by the power of his will. All his actions are disinterested. All are directed along the path to union with Brahman."

"Activity is better than inertia. Act. But with self Control, If you are lazy, you cannot even sustain your body."

In fact the Mahathmas mentioned by Mr.Sankar were very active persons who never allowed a minute to go waste. Here I wish to mention one great person Late Shree Panduranga Sastry Athavale (1920-2003), a Magsaysay Award winner, who left a 20 million strong followers who worked silently to revolutionise rural people by his "Swadhyaya Movement" by bringing the words of Lord Krishna in Gita to practice.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Last edited:
Sirs,

I brought the name of Shri Pandurang Sastry Athavale popularly known as "Dadaji" into the discussion for the reason that how our scriptural knowledge can be turned to practical use to trigger off Socio Economic revolution among the common people, down trodden, harijans and tribals. Late Sastry was born into an ordinary Brahmin family of sanskrit scholars who wanted him to pursue modern education. But he preferred to learn the ancient scriptures instead. Every one in Athavale's family had preferred righteousness over richness and service over selfishness. In fact his father Shri Vaijnath Sastry Athavale started the Swadhyaya Movement in 1926 to take the scriptural knowledge to common people.When I first read his biography I was amazed by the determination and love of Dadaji to our cultural heritage and how he used this to synthesize with the needs of modern society.

The Brahmins are in a similar situation today. I think we also need a movement like that of "Swadhyaya" to revive our Cultural heritage without losing the needs of modern Society. I give another URL where you may find the Life and Vision of "Dadaji" Pandurang Sastry Athavale:

http://dadaji.net/index.htm

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Last edited:
Indeed , Life without activity is not so interesting , isn;t it !

Everyone's at their best when they come over challenges , meets the huge targets set for him and keeps on improvising himself in all walks of life !

May be that's one of the reasons when some spare time found is utilised to relax on the couches watching a movie , rather than spending time thinking of the Almighty !
But when some hurdle suddenly pops up ,then we start thinking of our stars , have agreements with GOD , what not !

Is it rather surprising that many people of our religion postpone the requirement of " Knowing GOD " as one of the assignments after their retirement ! Why so ??

The requirement is just not there , perhaps as we have been used to having an attached and detached approach towards our religion ! Is it a sin ??

Dear Ranganathan ji,

Rightly said , excellent crisp summarization of LIFE !

Truly the element of FEAR in everyone's MIND is playing havoc , FEAR of failure , of embarrassment , FEAR of so many things even DEATH and on top of this the insecurity feeling inside the minds of individuals stir up the mixture of a confused Brain , resulting in his retrograde temperament !

The wordly things that we are being associated with and portray as being engulfed into are not real or permanent , the books say , but then why did GOD have to get one into this mess ?? mess of being associated so deeply with this materialistic world , looking almost impossible to come out !

Generations of LIFE have surpassed and isn;t GOD still happy over his Dramatization of events and the puppet shows that he conducts ??

What may be the answer ??

Dear Mr.Vijisesh,

We cannot escape the worldly bonds, unless we are destined to prefer the path of renunciation and enter Sanyas. But most of us lead a life of householders by preference. Nobody need to wait for retirement to takeup spiritual quest. We must understand the path of spirituality need not be separate from our day to day living. To be a "good human being" and "right living" are the basic needs for spiritual activities.

Swami Govindananda Bharathi (1826-1963) popularly known as Sri Shivapuri Baba, (since he lived in the forests of Shivpuri near Kathmanu, Nepal), insisted on "right living" as essential and first step for spiritual progress. He Called it as "Swadharma" akin to "Dharana" the sixth step in Patanjali Yoga Sutra. He taught three disciplines namely Physical Discipline, maintaining body and mind through proper livelyhood, including the obligation to help one's dependents to accomplish the same. Next, Moral duty by remining sensitive to seek the truth 24 hours a day and the third, Spiritual duty, worship of the Divine. Physical discipline brings pleasure, Moral discipline gives serenity and Spiritual discipline gives peace and eternal happiness. Most people who live householder lives need to take care of the first two duties which are in preparation of the third sacred obligation.

Born in a Namboothiri Family in Kerala Sri Shivapuri Baba lived for 137 years and led an evenful spiritual life till he left his mortal body in 1963. I have seen a photograph of him taken a few days before his 'samadhi' in the Book "Long Pilgrimage - Life and teaching of Shivapuri Baba" by John.G.Bennet.This book is worth reading.

Sri Sivapuri Baba was the Guru of Sri Thiruchy Swamy of Kailasa Ashrama, Kenchanahalli, Bangalore.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Last edited:
Dear sri Brahmanyan Ji,

This seems to go against what our scriptures say as well as my own Guru, Sri Ramana Maharishi said. One can attain escape the worldly bonds, if that 'work' has been done in previous births. The examples given are Sri Vivekananda Ji, who did not exhibit any 'spiritual' maturity when he was young as well as countless other Yogis, including the Bhagawan.

The path to Moksha (or the Union) seems to be not based on our individual four stations in life, but rather to our realization of 'who am I' during any one of the four stages.

Pranams,
KRS

Dear Mr.Vijisesh,

We cannot escape the worldly bonds, unless we are destined to prefer the path of renunciation and enter Sanyas.
Regards,
Brahmanyan.

There are many ways of attaining Salvation/Mukthi/Moksha. As Sri Ramakrishna said "there are as many paths as there are men".

The Purva Mimansa and Sankya systems of philosophy do not believe in God or Moksha.

The highest state in Yoga is Samadhi.

The Bhakthi Marga believes that you attain Salvation by total surrender to God.

Really inquisitive , when some one refers to " Surrender to God " !!

Is the surrender in principle , meaning that I believe that GOD IS ONLY ONE SUPREME BEING and the CONTROLLER of the UNIVERSE or

in practice , moving away from the materialistic world, settling down in the himalayas and deep cruising into meditation !

Pl elaborate on surrender , mr.nacchi

Thanks

Dear Shri Brahmanyan ji,

Thanks ,I shall get my hands on this and other books ,i have taken a note from this website on my next visit to india , shortly .

While I can see many posts referring to Guru's , some dynamic and some not so and to a certain extent , engaging in show business ,
Why do Hindus have to go behind hunting for Guru's , weighing their true value , would'nt it be simpler to have a common book of rules ...

Needless to say that GOD couldn't be a dictator enforcing rules and procedures , he would be better portrayed as a caring mother , rather than a strict father ( it's vice versa in the present generation ) !

There definitely should be some clues left by GOD showing the Shortest Path to reach him and heaven ???

Dear Mr.Vijisesh,

We cannot escape the worldly bonds, unless we are destined to prefer the path of renunciation and enter Sanyas. But most of us lead a life of householders by preference. Nobody need to wait for retirement to takeup spiritual quest. We must understand the path of spirituality need not be separate from our day to day living. To be a "good human being" and "right living" are the basic needs for spiritual activities.

Swami Govindananda Bharathi (1826-1963) popularly known as Sri Shivapuri Baba, (since he lived in the forests of Shivpuri near Kathmanu, Nepal), insisted on "right living" as essential and first step for spiritual progress. He Called it as "Swadharma" akin to "Dharana" the sixth step in Patanjali Yoga Sutra. He taught three disciplines namely Physical Discipline, maintaining body and mind through proper livelyhood, including the obligation to help one's dependents to accomplish the same. Next, Moral duty by remining sensitive to seek the truth 24 hours a day and the third, Spiritual duty, worship of the Divine. Physical discipline brings pleasure, Moral discipline gives serenity and Spiritual discipline gives peace and eternal happiness. Most people who live householder lives need to take care of the first two duties which are in preparation of the third sacred obligation.

Born in a Naboothiri Family in Kerala Sri Shivapuri Baba lived for 137 years and led an evenful spiritual life till he left his mortal body in 1963. I have seen a photograph of him taken a few days before his 'samadhi' in the Book "Long Pilgrimage - Life and teaching of Shivapuri Baba" by John.G.Bennet.This book is worth reading.

Sri Sivapuri Baba was the Guru of Sri Thiruchy Swamy of Kailasa Ashrama, Kenchanahalli, Bangalore.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Vijisesh had written about the shortest path to God. Since most of us are familiar with Chennai, I would like to quote an example.

Suppose you have to go to Central from Nungambakkam. Not a long distance. You can go by your own vehicle, Taxi, Auto, Bus and by foot also. Now if you go by taxi or auto there is no standard route. Every auto guy has his own preferred route and he tells you that this is the shortest or the best route. Of course if you are new to Chennai he will take you via Anna Nagar.

Now when there are so many ways of reaching Central from Nungambakkam, how do you expect a single way to the long destination of reaching God. There are ever so many ways, and like the auto guys everyone swears that his way is the shortest.

You are not even sure of your exact destination. Are you sure about exactly what you want? You want to be a Yogi/Siddha and get Ashtama siddhis? or do you want to be a Sannyasi and become a wandering monk? Or is your way of Suddha Advaita of Bagavan Ramana Maharishi?

There are no readymade answers. We are all seekers one way or the other. Seek and you shall find the answers. No instant Samadhi or instant Kundalini. I believe only in instant coffee.

Again talking about salvation, if God appears before you today and asks you whether you want Moksha immediately, almost all of us would reject the offer talking about son's education, daughter's marriage or great grand son's seemandham.

Dear Mr.Vijisesh,

You have questioned on the need for Guru. No. We need not go in search of a Guru to follow. If we are ready the Guru will find us. But don't you think it is better to have a Teacher, a Master to guide us on the spiritual path, instead of ourselves resorting to trial and error method?
For that matter Sri Ramana Maharishi whom I respect much, did not have a Guru in the traditional sense. When some one asked Maharishi a question on this subject he replied:
"I have not said that a Guru is not necessary. But a Guru need not always be in a human form. First a person thinks that he is inferior and that there is a superior all knowing all powerful God who controls his own and the world's destiny and worships him or does bhakti. When he reaches a certain stage and becomes fit for enlightenment, the same God he was worshipping comes as Guru and leads him on. That Guru comes only to tell him that 'God is with in yourself. Dive within and realize'. God, Guru and the Self are the same."
Sri Ramana Maharishi was unique. He never believed in preaching. He believed in silence. When he desired Maharishi answered the questions. He did not take sanyas nor gave one to any one. His answers to questions of Mr.M.Sivaprakasam Pillai in the year 1902, have been compiled in a book form under the title "Naan Yaar" in Tamil and "Who am I" in English. This I consider one of the best book on Advita Philosophy I posses in my collections.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Dear Mr.K.R.S.,

You are right. Perhaps my sentance lacks in conveying true purport when I said "We cannot escape the worldly bonds unless we are destined to prefer the path of renunciation and enter sanyas". Only a few like Swami Vivekananda, Maharishi or Nisargadatta Maharaj who are destined to cut the worldly bonds to attain realisation in this life.

I am also an ardent follower of Maharishi and was lucky to have his darshan when I was a boy. I have been visiting the Ashram regularly.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Last edited:
"Who am I?" is the Vichaara Maarga or the path of inquiry. Bhagavan Ramana also taught other maargas such as Bhakthi and Karma for those who are not capable of the the path of Inquiry.

Bhagavan Ramana gave Moksha to people who did not follow the path of Inquiry beginning from Palaniswamy, Kandaswamy (skandasramam on the Hill of Arunachala is named after him) for their karma yoga, His own mother (Mathrubhootheswara Temple is her Samaadhi) to a crow, to a dog and to a cow, the samaadhis of all of which are in Ramanasramam, all of whom surrendered to Him in their bhakthi.

The famous japa "Aum Namo Bhagavathe Sri Ramanaya" was given by Bhagavan to a lady who wanted Japa Moksha.

Many foreigners have testified that they came to Bhagavan with many questions but realized the meaning of life without asking a single question by the very arresting looks of His eyes which was known as 'Nayana Dheeksha'.

Paths are many but the Goal is the same is axiom of our Vedas that was succinctly echoed by Adi Sankara "aakaasaaspathitham thoyam saagaram yadhi gacchadhi".

Dear Mr.Vijisesh,

You wanted to know about God and the clues left by him on the shortest path to reach him and heaven. I also had these queries in my mind when I was young. These are the questions natural for an inquisitive mind. But first we should understand what we mean by the Words "God and Heaven". The best source to get answers for these is to find a learned Acharya who could clarify our genuine doubts, with the help of scriptures and experience.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Dear Mr.Nacchi,

Good example , bringing clarity somewhat to the Quest for the " shortcut to reaching GOD and heaven ! "........

but still a few things linger .......

You are not even sure of your exact destination. Are you sure about exactly what you want? You want to be a Yogi/Siddha and get Ashtama siddhis? or do you want to be a Sannyasi and become a wandering monk? Or is your way of Suddha Advaita of Bagavan Ramana Maharishi?

Do you mean to say that " Most of the Hindus " are confused and are still practicising " Trial and error " methods to reach GOD !
When most of the other religions advocate to " Go by the directives of the respective religious scriptures , strictly " in order to reach Heaven , Heaven or paradise, closer to GOD ! , we have a choice to decide the " Route to heaven ", the choice of transport etc !
God, from this , there's a fear of missing the last train !

There are no readymade answers.
Again talking about salvation, if God appears before you today and asks you whether you want Moksha immediately, almost all of us would reject the offer talking about son's education, daughter's marriage or great grand son's seemandham.

Again , you are talking about the wordly pleasures that the Man is engulfed into ! If at all we fantasize GOD to reach us and take us for Salvation , most of the earthly creatures will be ready , as they do not have to live through another or a few more cycles of " Uncertain Life " ! And when it's going to be a fantasy , let us be liberal and say he also gives u the choice of picking up a few souls along with u , to keep u good company at heaven !

Seriously , Is this Moksha stuff for real and is there a Toll free number to check the available balance of your karma points ??

Dear Vijisesh,

Seriously , Is this Moksha stuff for real and is there a Toll free number to check the available balance of your karma points ??

Dial Infinity! You get all you want!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back