• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Religious conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who is Kuvalayavalli?

3. Related to JJ
Kuvalayavalli, you said you gave details about yourself in the "Introduce yourself" forum. I looked and as I have already stated, I know you have not posted anything there. It is possible that I somehow overlooked something. So, while it is very impressive that you are related to JJ, would you also please give us the link from the Introduce page or let us know there is no such post.

Please do not get mad at me as I am probably the only friend you will have in this forum, even if you hate me because I am an atheist.

Thank you ....

Instead of caring more about religion, if we consider every one as soul and every soul is having direct and eternal relationship with GOD and there are many paths to reach god but godliness in every human soul is same, there will not be any further discussion. Instead of discussing like this, if we care for abandoned souls who lurch in the darkness and no body to care for , you can widen your god's consciousness. we have come to this world to make ourselves a better person and make the world a better place for future generation. We have no permanent relationship..that is before birth none of our friends and relatives were before and after death none of our friends and relatives are going to come with us. We can take birth in the next birth in anywhere , in any place but we have to take of soul's progress only instead of useless arguments and discussions.

You are close to the eternal TRUTH

Kuvalayavalli, you said you gave details about yourself in the "Introduce yourself" forum. I looked and as I have already stated, I know you have not posted anything there. It is possible that I somehow overlooked something. So, while it is very impressive that you are related to JJ, would you also please give us the link from the Introduce page or let us know there is no such post.

Please do not get mad at me as I am probably the only friend you will have in this forum, even if you hate me because I am an atheist.

Thank you ....

Thanks Nara, your post gratifies me. As regards my introduction missing from Introductions thread, I have referred the matter to the Forum owners through 'Contact Us' link.

My husband and I love everyone in this forum regardless of their attitude towards us. None is a foe.

I refer to post 74.
"JJ' could be the present chief Minister of Tamilnadu.I am not sure.
I only recollect the reaction of Cricketer from Kerala when confronted by Police referred to his connection to higher ups in Political circles,but the Police were not convinced
Humility and respect to others is always Good.

My post #66 was intended to clear misgivings raised at my claims in my post #11. Thanks for your advise.

Gentlemen and Gentlewomen may cease further probe into my identity.

Men and women of integrity may please substantiate their allegations with concrete evidence.

Hi Kuvalaya,

This is what is said in post #47 by vgane:

Any counter or objection to this also? Is vgane guilty of misrepresentation of facts or telling lies? If not, then the thrust of the accusations by Biswa stands while the specific incident quoted lacks proof. What do you say?

"Gard of an NGO" is the issue.

Hardly anything can be accepted without concrete evidence.

Kuvalayavalli,

People who convert - especially tabras - bargain with the Church authorities and I know a case of one tabra family converting to Christianity for which the Church paid off debts/loans to the tune of Rs.10lakhs (for 5 members' conversion).

Sounds an exaggerated viewpoint.

I am also told ........But I don't know how far the second point is true.

I am also told numerous blasphemous things about brahmins especially iyengars. I know none of them are true. I dont take any verbal pronouncement for granted.

In almost every hindu temple, at the entrance to the temple, a signboard mentioning 'People of other religions are forbidden entry'.

On the contrary any Ram, Raheem or Robert can enter a church, partake in the sabbath services etc.

Ultimately it is acts demonstrating Love that draws people and not exclusivism nor grand eloquent discourses on philosophy or religion.

I refer to Post No.81.
My friend and office colleague ,an iyengar(all his relatives are iyengars in Tamilnadu)married a Christian Girl from our office.
Over a period of time,he became a Christian and work for an Evangelist Mission.He was in India but susequently migrated to USA
20 years back.He is in Dallas.I am still in touch with him.He has himself told me(whenever we met in India),how conversion to Christianity
take place in India.I beleive my friend.I cannot furnish any proof.I can give his Phone No.He can be contacted.

1.In almost every hindu temple, at the entrance to the temple, a signboard mentioning 'People of other religions are forbidden entry'.

2.On the contrary any Ram, Raheem or Robert can enter a church, partake in the sabbath services etc.

3.Ultimately it is acts demonstrating Love that draws people and not exclusivism nor grand eloquent discourses on philosophy or religion.

1. The nature of Hindu temples are different from that of Churches and masjids. Hindus believe in idol worship and temple is the place where they believe God's presence is felt. They pray before the God's deity/deities. In many temple there are many deities and people pray before all of them or some of them. Whereas Church is just a prayer house. People assemble there to just pray to their God. They are not considered as an abode of God in the form of a deity. This being the important difference, it is only fair that a person who enters the temple and goes before the deity and looks at it as a curio or an object of ignorance or pagan belief is kept away from there(good for him as well as for hindus). If you believe in idols worship, you can enter any Hindu temple claiming to be one-just a declaration is enough. You can go and pray before the deity. It is too simplistic an argument to give this as a reason for attraction/conversion to Abrahamic religions. Much more maturity is expected from the member who would argue on this line.

2. Already answered in 1 above. Ram, Rahim, Robert and a Bodhivarman and a Nimish jain too can enter a Hindu temple if he declares that he believes in the idol worship of Hindus. That moment he becomes a Hindu and he becomes eligible to enter the temple precincts.

3. Acts demonstrating love can be a) living a pure harmless life b)being compassionate to every life on earth c)being truthful and friendly to every one, extending help in whatever way one can to people in need etc., Without that wonderful thing called love none of this is really possible. Hindus do all this and more. When a hindu donates money to charity, he is least bothered about the beneficiary's religion. He just gives out of real compassion and forgets it.

4. Offering money to satisfy peoples' immediate needs by surreptitiously bringing it from abroad-from the donations of people with troubled consciences- (pledging in the process your culture, heritage and independence to the bloodied money), supplying tonnes and tonnes of milk powder (which is otherwise fed to pigs) and flooding selected schools with a surfeit of that supply, selectively offering scholarship with an undeclared quid pro quo in the background, conducting matrimony jihads by sending in dedicated jihadis for the purpose to ensnare girls from other faiths, can also be called "out of love and affection". But there is something called universal truth. How many of the ministries and churches are ready to open stalls in the prakArams of hindu temples(without going in because that would require accepting idol worship) and offer milk powder, ghee etc imported from Australia and US to the devotees thronging the temples without expecting any thing in return. Love can only be unconditional. It can never be conditional. If it is conditional it is not love. It is again another too simplistic an argument for the conversions.

5. You have come to a forum where the spiritual awareness level of the members are quite high. So there is no use complaining about eloquent discourses on philosophy or religion. That is the subject which is discussed by members here quite often. If you find it incomprehensible Latin or Afrikaans, keep away and do not participate. Do not trash the ideas discussed or the people discussing them. They are not fools. And I have visited some of the discussion forums of Christianity where there is a war going on about whether the God is Triune or one. There are arguments which trash the triune God (The Father , Son and the Holy Ghost) spoken about in the Bible. There are defenders too who take a leaf or two from Vaishnavism's diune God (Lakshmi and Narayana) and present verbatim arguments which they understand or not from Sri Vaishnavite Acharyas and Vedas. LOL.

Last edited:
I refer to Post No.81.
My friend and office colleague ,an iyengar(all his relatives are iyengars in Tamilnadu)married a Christian Girl from our office.
Over a period of time,he became a Christian and work for an Evangelist Mission.He was in India but susequently migrated to USA
20 years back.He is in Dallas.I am still in touch with him.He has himself told me(whenever we met in India),how conversion to Christianity
take place in India.I beleive my friend.I cannot furnish any proof.I can give his Phone No.He can be contacted.

You need not provide proof. But you can tell how conversion is being carried out, as told by your friend. Please provide.

The temples are for hindus and by hindus and follow inherited traditions. It has nothing to do with love. A few sisters in the vaikundam Q complex in tirupathy were caught and handed over to the police for distributing christian literature (with sufficient innuendos against hindu gods). They were let off and not charged; that is hindu love.

What will robert and rahim do standing in front of Nataraja or Vishnu?

In almost every hindu temple, at the entrance to the temple, a signboard mentioning 'People of other religions are forbidden entry'.

On the contrary any Ram, Raheem or Robert can enter a church, partake in the sabbath services etc.

Ultimately it is acts demonstrating Love that draws people and not exclusivism nor grand eloquent discourses on philosophy or religion.

You cannot enter a Mosque without wearing headgear as prescribed by Islam and, of course, women are prohibited to enter Mosque. In Gurudwara also, you are asked to cover your head. Therefore, every religion has its own way of systems and formalities.

If it is acceptable, you can enter; other you cann't.

"IN almost every hindu temple" is nt correct. I remember seeing this in Srirangam and probably Tiruvannamalai, but not anywhere else.In the mighty Chidambaram temple, the Muslims use the temple to cross over to their streets.

Demonstrating love - Absolutely. The Christians and Muslims shower love on each other very well .

Hi Kuvayalavalli,

Ref this thread http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/12402-saligrama-stone.html

Asirvadam
user-offline.png
blue.png

orange.png

green.png

Achievements:
calendar_newred_3_16.png
spheres_grape_16.png

Join DateJun 2013Posts70Points701Level3Downloads0Uploads0

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by apsarathy
Saligramam is very precious for Vaishnavites. It is kept separately in a wooden box and periodical aradhanai is performed. Every Saligramam is considered as an incarnation of a devata like Rama, Krishna, Santanakrishna, Ananthapadmanabha, Narasimha and others. What incarnation of God is a particular Saligramam is determined by an expert Acharya. Nitya poojai for Saligramam with 'Acharam' is known to bring peace and happiness in the household. In the olden days, when a girl gets married, one or two Saligramams are also given as dowry so that the girl and her husband also perform pooja etc. to bring prosperity to their homes. As the process of taking out Saligramams from the Gandaki river has been going on for very many years, I understand that Saligramams are no longer available in that river.What is available in the market, I understand, is not original. May be still some original stuff is available but one should be careful if one buys them from market.

My Iyengar Father-in-law gifted me with Saligramam during my marriage although he knew well that I wont use it, coz it is a custom to send daughters with Saligramam. The one he gifted us was genuine and was from the deep forests of South America where alone it is believed to be available. The South Americans state that Saligramam is a solidified form of Anaconda saliva which gets solidified following cooling.​

Does your father still believe that Saligramam is solidified form of Anaconda saliva, being the iyengar he is?

These are tall claims and cannot be accepted without adequate proof.

Species other than humans demonstrate love and some even cross over... love is not restricted to religion... The kind of love spread by the followers of the religion of love and the religion of peace is only too well known.

"IN almost every hindu temple" is nt correct. I remember seeing this in Srirangam and probably Tiruvannamalai, but not anywhere else.In the mighty Chidambaram temple, the Muslims use the temple to cross over to their streets.

Demonstrating love - Absolutely. The Christians and Muslims shower love on each other very well .

Yes you are right, only selected temple prohibit people of other religion. I think it is wrong to prohibit anyone.
In Mormon church non-mormons are not allowed. In Parsee temple non-parsee are not allowed. In Mecca non-muslims are not allowed.

Hi Kuvayalavalli,

Ref this thread http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/12402-saligrama-stone.html

Does your father still believe that Saligramam is solidified form of Anaconda saliva, being the iyengar he is?

That Iyengar old man who gave a salagramam to his christian SIL must be either a diehard optimist or a ignoramus who did not know the sanctity of a salagramam. What did he expect his SIl to do with the Salagramam? There were just two options 1) Go and play koli gundu with them 2)present them to his(SIL's) children to play koli gundu with them. For a christian SIL the paramandalangalilirukkinra pitha can never come to earth and get into a Salagramam. That will be make life too unbearable for them on earth with all their licentious ways of living. LOL.

That Iyengar old man who gave a salagramam to his christian SIL must be either a diehard optimist or a ignoramus who did not know the sanctity of a salagramam. What did he expect his SIl to do with the Salagramam? There were just two options 1) Go and play koli gundu with them 2)present them to his(SIL's) children to play koli gundu with them. For a christian SIL the paramandalangalilirukkinra pitha can never come to earth and get into a Salagramam. That will be make life too unbearable for them on earth with all their licentious ways of living. LOL.

Sir,
You might be a devout Iyangar, that is your business. You also might consider it sacrilegious that someone gave "your" sacred symbol to his Christian SIL.
But you are maligning some one else that sil you do not even know her, as licentious. What authority you have for such a comment? Do you know her personal life? It is utterly unbecoming of you to insult people who you do not know personally. Even if you think you know, do you really know.
Even Sita was vilified by a Dhobi.

In TB community we create a turmeric mound and do puja through that idol as God, then we wash it down to earth. Our religion is all symbolism if you really understand the meaning behind it.

Last edited:
<removed. accusing another member without proof are not taken lightly. Posting such messages only put you in bad light. = Praveen>

Last edited by a moderator:
I never understand the Christian trying to convert others to their religion. Even among Christians there is a process of conversion from one denomination to another. Mormons would help another fellow human being if they convert to their church.

Even among Hindus, there is group called the Swadhyay Pariwar. They come around unannounced and give free book and invite one to join their group. Same is true of Hare Krishna group.

I am a believer, but not for organized religion. My faith is private and strong.

But if someone is unhappy with the way they understand their religion, faith or what ever you call it, they have every right and should have the freedom to choose it. I am against forced or coerced conversion, but individual should be free to choose.
Mr. Ashwin in his post said that a small number of conversion do not matter, and I agree with that position. As far as conversion and political agenda is concerned that is a bad combination. Majority of people who convert do not have religious or spiritual goals, it is usually economic goal that they are trying to get. To that extent Hinduism has not been inclusive.
Hindu priest are not well versed in Hindu religion, and preaching is left to godperson, guru, or swamijis. They have not reached the masses.

I think Prasad's alter ego is that Kuyavayawhatever. He seems to be posting using a different name to further his partisan Christian agenda.

As for you, Kuvayavasomethin', try going on a pilgrimage to Mecca and come back alive!! Let's see if they allow you entry since you are also 'people of the book' for them..

Mr. Aswin_ash,
You must be seeing your own avatar in the mirror. What authority you have to bad mouth me. You are new to site, and i will chalk it to your ignorance.

Mr. Aswin_ash,
You must be seeing your own avatar in the mirror. What authority you have to bad mouth me. You are new to site, and i will chalk it to your ignorance.

Thanks for the kind remarks. I advise you to understand religions before indulging in discourse. Mormon temples and meeting houses allow non-Mormons, I do know. And all you have to do to enter Mecca is to affirm you are a Muslim at the entrance. Other religions are definitely prevented, but not their own kind.

Mr. Aswin_ash,
I buy your view that religion is private to the individual. I have scant respect for those who preach conversion and pity those opting for the same due to economic reasons.hindu religion is poorly represented by swamis and such beings .they are hardly capable to sell religion the right way to hindus. I recently read about two heads of mutts poaching on each others territory. how are they different from christian or muslim godmen trying to convert others

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back