• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Relationships among brahmins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Athai's son is called Aththan (அத்தான்)
Mama's daughter is called Ammanga. (அம்மங்கா).

Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

The heading of the post is misleading.

These relationships occur among all Tamil speaking people.
I do not think it is Brahmin specific.

I think ஷட்டகர் (Shaddagar) is Brahmin specific Any idea how other Tamil speaking people call this relationship!?

Another distinct Palagattan word is for the wife's sister's husband who is a brother-in-law in the manner of deducing a relationship. Palagattan men relate to their wives' sisters' husbands as 'shaddagars'. This word is uniquely Palagattan. And educated, inventive Palagattans have come up with the word 'co-brother' to mean 'shaddagar' in English. Purists believe the word 'co-brother' is a very Indian Palagattan usage; it does not exist in ANY English dictionary. "My co-brother, you know my 'shaddagar', my wife's sister's husband, he is an accomplished Violinist," is a declaration that will not surprise any ordinary Palagattan. Non-Palagattans are normally foxed with any reference to a 'co-brother'!!!

For the rest of the world:

No. if it’s your wife’s sister, then the sister is your sister-in-law and her husband is just whatever his name is. He is of no relation to you at all.

Last edited:
ஓர்படி(Orepadi) seems Brahmin specific again Any idea how others call this relationship.

Elder brother's(அணணா) wife is மன்னி.Younger brother's (தம்பி) wife - what you call her?

மன்னி , ஒடப்பொறந்தான are sure Brahaminical Then why மதனிக்கு ஒடப்பொறந்தான்? Is மதனி Brahminical?

Bs vs NBs

Shaddagar = Sagalai
Orpadi = Oragaththi

Some Brahmins use 'madhani' for 'manni' !!

NBs call elder brother's wife as aNNi;
Younger brother's wife as Thambi poNdātti (/ponjādhi)

BTW, if anna's wife is aNNi, thambi's wife should be thaNNi !! (Just kidding!)

Who is he when I call some one அத்திம்பேர் (Athimbare)? My அக்கா(elder sister)'s husband ? My அத்தை(Father's sister)'s husband?

What you call your younger sisters husband in Brahmin's lingo?

How NBs call these relations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back