• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Re-energising the Kanchi mutt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Rajan Ganesh,

Thanks for the offer. I am sure all the individuals who have shown interest in this thread share your views and would be available to make their contribution when time comes. At the moment we only need your ideas.

With regard to R Venkataramani's(henceforth RV if you don't mind),terms of reference, I think all the points are valid. Can you do us a favour by drafting the same into a structured list so that other members can add a few to it in the same format. This will simplify our future couse of action when we have to forward the list to the committee.

I request all other members of the thread to contribute by providing ideas with regard to the possibility of reaching out to committee members and conveying our request to them. I also request the individuals who are closely associated with Kanchi mutt to come forward and help us place our case before the acharyas for obtaining their approval before we proceed further.

Thanks

Dear Sri rrvvvr ji,

You can very well call me RV. I am already addressed by my friends as well by my staff as RV only.

Let our members come out with further points so that we can finalise the `Terms of Reference'

In the meantime, approaching the Acharyas, discussing our proposal and getting their approval for the proposed exercise is the next important step. Unless the Acharyas clears our proposal, we cannot move forward.

How to do that? Whether some of our members can do that at individual level? or
can we get their approval by a small group of devotees? or shall we have to collectively meet the Acharyas? If it is going to be a collective exercise, I can join the team along with some of my friends and relatives. I expect all our members near Kanchi/Chennai & surrounding areas do the same so that we can approach as a group. We have to fix suitable date and time for that.

I think all our members should express their views openly. For the past few days only sri rrvvvr and me are interacting more on this forum. It is our mutt and we should see to it that it is more vibrant and active . Please come out and express your opinions freely and frankly.

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

I have provided the 'handle' (AnushaChennai) to Sri rrvvvr Ji in one of my postings above. I know this person to have access to the Gurus and is not involved in the Sri Matham activities. I think Sri rrvvvr Ji also knows this person. We can use the services of this person as our emissary.

Since I did not get a response I did not pursue this further.

Regards,
KRS

...In the meantime, approaching the Acharyas, discussing our proposal and getting their approval for the proposed exercise is the next important step. Unless the Acharyas clears our proposal, we cannot move forward.

How to do that? Whether some of our members can do that at individual level?

venkat,

i think you have hit crux of the situation - how and who to bell the cat.

even though the mutt affairs, is way out of my depth, my interest in this particular aspect, is more from a viewpoint of streamlining an organization.

if we were to translate this into a business entity, what we are attempting to do, i think, is to bypass the chain of command, and approach the Chairman of the Board, asking him to fire his entire senior management team. perhaps also the entire board?

i presume our role would be similar to those of shareholders (small individual ones as opposed to institutional large shareholders, who have some clout). without the benefit of a shareholder's meeting.

not sure if the above analogy is correct, but this is the closest i can think of and the thought of it is overwhelming.

i think, to influence any CEO, has to come through his peers through informal contact. a formal petition, like those done by the public to the king, would probably not treated with the seriousness it deserves.

also much homework has to be done, if an objective presentation based on facts and figures, has to be composed. this in order to prove the bona fide of any petition.

the documentation must be businesslike and professional in approach, supported not only by facts and figures, but also touch upon the intangibles like reputation and good governance.

the current management must be given fair chance to prove their ineptness and why they should be replaced.

ie the proper processes of law and governance should be observed. if possible, with a mediator or judge, and all within the framework of law, whether the legal procedure be formal or informal.

the pontiff can himself take the judicial role, or appoint a judge/team of judges.

all activities should be seen and be performed above board. the closer the approach adopts professionalism, the better its standing will be, among the public, and perhaps carry greater clout.

otherwise, it would appear that this smells of a palace coup, and along with it the righteousness of legitimacy. many a times, we feel righteous, but do not necessarily do the right thing. i think anyways.

where to begin?

i think in order to build a good business and legal case, start with some auditors and corporate lawyers. maybe some finance and management guys.

i think, a simple group of respected elders, knocking on the doors of the kanchi mutt, would may not be shooed away. they might get a polite hearing, with an 'ஆகட்டும் பார்க்கலாம்' response.

precisely something that you don't want.

above all, getting through the pujaris to the swami to request your varan itself may be would require some logistics.

after all, you don't want the pujaris present when the varan is presented to the swami :).

i still don't know as to whom the swami will turn to advice in this regard, if the entire pujari clan is suspect in our eyes. after all, it is these folks who have been his advisers and confidants these past years. very complex situation, i feel.

thank you.

Dear KRS,

I don't know the individual (anushachennai). Would you pls give some lead again so that I will try to establish contact with this person?

Very nice to read this thread. As Shri Kunjuppu ji says it is a complex situation. But earnestly hope the idea of forming a panel or committee comes to fructition (all the names suggested are noteworthy). It may certainly be worth a try to see if the mutt is willing to listen to the expectations of people if such a committee is formed.

I wholeheartedly agree with all the points raised and discussed by Shri R Venkataramani ji, especially the point that any committe formed will not go into religious rites portion of the mutt.

One of the reasons for lack of trust in the mutt imho, may not be due to the arrest and baseless allegations made on the acharyas. Instead it may pertain to some rumors i came across about some people associated with the mutt having grown rich in the past years. To ensure that donors are able to repose their faith in the mutt, and to trash such rumors, it may be a good idea to get the committee to ensure that all accounts are audited annually and published somewhere.

Also it may be a good idea for the mutt not to accept donations from politicians. Apart from that, it may also be a good idea for Jayendra Swami to keep away from politicians after release. He seems too outspoken and too naive to handle people like politicians; and i think everyone's concern is first and foremost the wellbeing of the acharyas.

Regards.

After reading various opinions presented by learned members I wish to post my views on the subject.
Mutts cannot be run on the lines of Corporate entities. Mutts are run under the guidance of established conventions set by various Acharyas, and not by written rules. Their role in the community is to guide the laymen in religious matters and train future generation of religious Pundits well versed in Vedic scriptures. The mutt head (Acharya) should set an example for others by leading a spartan life of simplicity, discipline and courage. Mutt should guide and encourage the followers in educational and charitable activities without itself entering directly in these spheres. In fact Kanchi Paramacharya showed us all these sterling qualities during his life time and set an example to others to follow.
Above all the mutt should never enter the shadow of Politics or entangle itself into unnecessary controversies, legal or otherwise.
Money earned from the devotees should be spent for religious purposes only and not on building construction and statues.

Regards,
Brahmanyan.

Last edited:
After reading various opinions presented by learned members I wish to post my views on the subject.
Mutts cannot be run on the lines of Corporate entities. Mutts are run under the guidance of established conventions set by various Acharyas, and not by written rules.
Nobody wants that the mutt should be run like a corporate entity. However there are various charitable organisations run professionally. Every Indian is subject to Indian laws and Income tax law does n't give any exception to any organisation. The mutt should have a self regulatory machanism and money contributed by devotees must be properly accounted. None of us want to interfere in the accounts, audit and administration of the mutt but at the same time wants to ensure that proper procedures are followed and transparency is maintained.

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

Last edited:
One of the reasons for lack of trust in the mutt imho, may not be due to the arrest and baseless allegations made on the acharyas. Instead it may pertain to some rumors i came across about some people associated with the mutt having grown rich in the past years. To ensure that donors are able to repose their faith in the mutt, and to trash such rumors, it may be a good idea to get the committee to ensure that all accounts are audited annually and published somewhere.

The news reported of "Presentation of the first vehicle by Mahindras to Mutt sold by vested parties". This news would have damaged the sentiments of many followers of similar presentation.

re

It's my perspective that,our acharyas should be living in comfort only.Why my acharya should walk all over India?when there transportation.Why my acharya should be sweating in a dingy environment?instead of addressing in air-conditioned environment.Why my acharya should not view TV?as then only he/she will know,his sishyas mind.I may be little overboard with my perspective,but i want my kanchi acharya to travel ,all over the world in aero-planes,and do propagation of Advaitham Philosophy,to people.

I think happyhindu,has correctly established the main reason,for the witch-hunting,that is going on with acharyas.I used cry when paramacharya at his old age was walking to every village,town,cities of India,and i used to plead to my father,to give his car,which he gave and transported the belongings of the muttam instead of transporting the acharya.I will never understand this,being bodily subjected to pain.

Anyways,at least present acharyas are modern,and i hope they remain modern using latest gadgets and be like us .Thank you.

gopal.

Dear all,

We are at the most crucial stage of the process that we initated. We have nicely analysed and identified the problem, which in our perception, has led to the loss of trust among the followers of the mutt and brahmins/hindus in general. We have even progressed to the extent of finding a solution - a committee which will conduct a professional study into the issue with the blessings and guidance of the acharyas.

Suddenly there seems to be a roadblock. I am sure a some readers will come up with the familiar line - "I said so ..... that this is not going to work". Well, nothing will work unless it is made to work. At this juncture we need help from people who are close to the mutt - by finding means to convey the concerns expressed in this thread to the acharyas and get their blessings for taking our initiative further. Then it would become easier for us to approach and convince the members of the committee to take up the cause.

Is there anyone who can contribute at this stage? Please give your contact no. so that I can get in touch with you. As I said in this thread before, I stay in Delhi but am willing to make a trip to kanchi if that can help. My contacts with the mutt are as good as nil. I have never been an intimate devotee of the mutt though respected the acharyas for what they are. In fact I have been to the mutt only once in 40 years of my life time. But the arrest of the acharyas and the subsequent decline of the mutt's reputation pained me greatly. A mutt which has done yomen service to the society since ancient times, should not be allowed to decline at this pace. It is a great loss to the society. Hence this initiative.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are multi discipline approach:
1. Ritual Committee: This consists of purely exprts in their respective field- Rig vedic pundit or yajusham pundit or sama veda pundit or agama expert. To a common man's eye all one and same tufted Brahmin. But each one is expert in their respective field and suggest the right approach to acharyas. and acharyas take their opinion or modify to suit the situation.Lowkikas do not interfere in this position.

2. Administrative committee: This consists of 3 or 4 sub divisions as the function demands:
2.01Receipts of donations are properly accounted for the benefit of Mutt and donor's confidence.

2.02 Mutt's Asset management group: All the existing assets and the assets of new purchase are managed

2.03: the most important: PUBLIC Relations committee they see to it that no negative propaganda is created and uphold the mutt's prestige put on proper rails.

2.04 wherever negative rumours are spread without basis, legal actions should be proposed.

3.0: Religious Activities: Re organised by Acharyas themselves: Whether Kumbhabhishekam or Homam yagynam , or astrological advise required by Govt!?! The previous govt misused at this point and put the blame while things are against current.

Dear Sri rrvvvr,

One of our member Suvarchas who participated in the early part of discussions in this thread has claimed that he has access to the mutt.

Sri KRS ji has also given a lead which probably you can use.

Please follow up with the above two leads for approaching the mutt.

I shall also try through my contacts here. One of my friends son (muscian) is being awarded Asthana Vidhvan title on 19th Sep 2009 by the Kanchi Mutt and I am planning to visit the function.

Last edited:
HH Sri Jayendra Saraswathi Swamigal has created his own problems. He should not have hob-nobbed with politicians irrespective of their party affliations. Unlike his predecessor, he started collecting money for the mutt and started discriminating devotees based on the affluence.

The same politicians who were very close to him before the incident have back stabbed him.

He has done great damage to the reputation of the mutt and it will take longer period to build the image.

Unless he and his junior vocates the mutt, there is no charm in visiting the mutt except the Brindavan of Paramacharya.
I beg to differ,sir for the simple reasonH.H was chosen by the great prdecessor of his whom we all venerate as one endowed with a farsight and foresight.Does that mean he had not applied his mind properly?

Secondly you are lamenting that H.H.Jayendra hobnobbed with politicians.It only shows your ignorance.His predecessor,the Great Acharya had scathingly commented on Gandhi's and Nehru's views on Hindu religion.It was only on their views and not on personalities.His times and Jayendra's times are different as everything is now covered by mass media and goes to the four corners of the world in no time.I do not know who gave the idea that Matathipathis are not to have opinions on social issues.Certainly on issues which have a deleterious effect on hindu religious practices and beliefs he is entitled to his opinion.

Her collected money or established institutions,not for his welfare ,but to provide succour to brahmin community and ensuring the continuity of the mutt.In my opinion when people like us who are far from being ideal brahmins chasing money and coveting positions abroad,we are not entitled to criticise the Guru who is above board.Please tell me frankly how many of us are even trying to help institutions like the Mutts,but we expect the Acharyas to be steadfastedly uphold traditions without compromising.In my opinion it would be sacrilege to even hold an opinion of H.H.having spoilt the Mutt.

Dear Sri Suvarchas ji,

When we started discussing this topic, I expressed my views freely and frankly which is my fundamental right. However after lot of deliberations, now we have reached a consensus opinion which we have to implement. I earnestly feel that by answering the points raised by you, the objective for which this forum was started will be defeated. I don't want to be a hindrance to the cause and hence I am not answering the points raised by you today.

I am always guided by the views of the father of our nation.

Gandhi said, "My belief in the Hindu scriptures does not require me to accept every word and every verse as divinely inspired .... I decline to be bound by any interpretation, however learned it may be, if it is repugnant to reason or moral sense" (The Collected Work of Mahatma Gandhi, The Publication Division, Government of India, Vol. XXI, p. 246). Yet Gandhi was only following Hindu law.

Let us not argue on this matter further

Last edited:
Dear Mr Suvarchas,

Let me welcome you to the thread again after a long absence. I can understand your outburst in response to RV's comments which he posted quite some time back. I think you have not read his views thereon. I request you to kindly go through the whole series of debates that this thread has gone through to reach a point today where all partcipants have shunned their individual opinions in favour of a collective effort to re-energise the mutt. The effort is not to point fingers at the acharyas but only to heal certain ills that have engulfed the individuals who are managing (mis-managing) the mutt affairs. Again this is only an opinion expressed by many of our readers who attribute the mutt's loss of reputation to the deeds of such individuals. I think there is no harm in veifying the veracity of such opinions. Let us pray that all is fine. But if it is not, there we all have a duty to see that the mutt's reputation is not afftected.

As you go through the thread, you might come across many a reference to the acharyas which may not be of your liking and ideology. I only request you to ignore them and read on further to comprehend what common position we have all taken. There have been references to your name off and on which will indicate to you that we missed sincere devotees like you in our effort. Presently we are looking up to individuals like you who are ardent followers of the mutt and have the potential to take the effort forward.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
re

Shree Suvarchas,

Please take lead and initiative.I will contribute in whatever manner,that i can. [email protected] is email id.How can i be of assistance,to this noble seva?Please let me know.Thank you !.

gopal.

Dear Mr Suvarchas,

Let me welcome you to the thread again after a long absence. I can understand your outburst in response to RV's comments which he posted quite some time back. I think you have not read his views thereon. I request you to kindly go through the whole series of debates that this thread has gone through to reach a point today where all partcipants have shunned their individual opinions in favour of a collective effort to re-energise the mutt. The effort is not to point fingers at the acharyas but only to heal certain ills that have engulfed the individuals who are managing (mis-managing) the mutt affairs. Again this is only an opinion expressed by many of our readers who attribute the mutt's loss of reputation to the deeds of such individuals. I think there is no harm in veifying the veracity of such opinions. Let us pray that all is fine. But if it is not, there we all have a duty to see that the mutt's reputation is not afftected.

As you go through the thread, you might come across many a reference to the acharyas which may not be of your liking and ideology. I only request you to ignore them and read on further to comprehend what common position we have all taken. There have been references to your name off and on which will indicate to you that we missed sincere devotees like you in our effort. Presently we are looking up to individuals like you who are ardent followers of the mutt and have the potential to take the effort forward.

Thanks

Dear Sirs,I am always available to be of service or even to clear any misapprehension about the Mutt with my connections with the authorities.Even if any member of our forum wants me to take them to seek any personal meeting with H.H or the officials, I shall be too glad to help.I am stationed in Chennai

re

Please let me know anyone knows the details of the title Mangapathi

Any member is having the Mangapathi title ?

Shree Mangapathi Ramji,

Mangala + Adhi pathi - Mangala in sanskrit means Chevvai or Mars;adi pathi means the ruler;so chevvai ruler or Mars ruler.Maybe i am correct or incorrect dunno.Basically Velama Jati people with telegu background keep this title.But due to bifurcation of Madras,many telegu speaking are now naturalised tamizhs.Thank you.

gopal.

Shree Suvarchas,

Please take lead and initiative.I will contribute in whatever manner,that i can. [email protected] is email id.How can i be of assistance,to this noble seva?Please let me know.Thank you !.

gopal.
Dear sir,
Iam based out of Chennai.If you can contact me,I shall organise a meeting with Mutt officials who have now formed a devotees' forum called Kamakoti Seva Dal to render service during important functions at the Mutt.You can contact me at [email protected]
Thanks

Shree Suvarchas,

gopal.
Dear All,
In rersponse to your wishes,Iam herewith furnishing the contact number of one admistrative head of The Mutt,Sriramasharma who is a retired bank official staying in the Mutt.He can be contacted for taking up further your suggestions of rendering service to the Mutt His mobile number :09443405965
You can refer to me as Auditor Sundar to him.In case you need to contact Mr.Gurumurthy,I do know him personally.I can help

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back