• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Re-energising the Kanchi mutt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re-engineer the acharyaas too

It is a pity that the mutt, once crowded always, sees very less visitors and hope members will agree that the charisma of the lead acharyas also play a leed role in this. The mutt has seen its lows and heights in the past too; but nothing like it is now. Most of the mutt lovers feel that there should be an unconditional support to a person hust because he is atop their beloved institution.

Can anybody say that the deviations from tradition today in the mutt are justified? Had you ever seen the current big croud of relatives of the current swamijis thronging the mutt and even enjoying a big4 say in the mutt activities? Cleanliness of the top brass to levels of unquestionability is th7e need of any mutt for g4eneral support. True we need re-engineering of the mutt at all levels; sadly including the acharyas too.

Mutt should be re-energised there is absolutely no doubt. We all will seek the blessings of Sri Mahaperiyaval for that.

Regards

Last edited:
Folks,

Again, if we are to unite both sides, it does not make sense to post one's personal views about our Gurus. Most of us, I believe are not qualified to do so. Please hold your horses - we are unnecessarily creating divisions. Our goal should be to improve the administration of the affairs of Sri Matham. All the philosophical differences, we will leave them to our Gurus.

If I see anymore references to the current Acharyals that seem to diminsh them, I will edit them out.

Regards,
KRS

I think KRS ji is right. We have moved on from the debate on the style and functioning of the acharyas. It has been largely agreed that there have been certain differences of opinion among the acharyas and also among the bhakthas. There is no point re-kindling similar arguments again and again. Let us now think ahead. How do we put together a committee? Do you think that we must start with identifying the right people for the committee? If so how small or big should be the committee? Do you think five eminent members from different walks of life would be a good idea? The larger the committee, more the confusion and difference in opinion.

Once again let us understand that the mandate of the committee is not to investigate into the role/ability of the acharyas but only to revamp the management of the mutt and its affairs. To this extent, the committe will have to commence its task only after obtaining blessings of the acharyas. Please contribute by suggesting names so that we can narrow down on the panel and seek their willingness to undertake the mission in the larger interest of the society. To my mind the course ahead is:

• Identify a panel of eminent persons who are followers of the mutt
  • Frame the broad terms of reference for the committee
  • Seek their willingness to undertake the mission
  • Approach the acharyas with the proposal and seek his blessings
  • Facilitate the panel to work towards the objectives
  • Seek the blessings of the acharyas and almighty in implementing the recommendations of the commtitee
The road ahead is very long and frought with difficultites. The first step of identifying and persuading the panelists itself is goint to take some time. So dear contributors of the thread, please make valuable suggestions in this regard. The intention of all patrons to the thread and their passion to the cause is well appreciated. Else one would not have wasted one's valuable time in being with the thread for so long. Having come this far, let us not go back by entering into unending debates. It is time to hold our personal thoughts and think in the larger interest of Loka kshemam. Thanks. Please forward your thoughts.

Its best left to acharyas to devise as well as nominate whom they think as appropriate people to govern.They are jagath gurus for a reason.Parama-Acharya hand selected both the present Acharyas.Is there any one in this world today,who has the wisdom or the knowledge to better Paramacharya,selection?I don't think so.This is my humble opinion.Thanks.

Gopal.

would suggest Shri T.N Seshan, Gurumurthy and Cho ,SV Ramanan/Padma Subramanyam,some more members from other mutts of tamil nadu -( who are experiencing similar pin pricks of the Govt)

chims,

i have no problem with padma.

the other names are politicized in the indian context at some time or the other. which is one, among the many reasons, i think they are not suitable.

i would also like the review group to be inclusive of other hindu communities. infact, the majority of such group must come from other castes.

doing this, we are clearly showing a new direction, and making attempts to obiliterate current perception, that the mutt is an exclusive brahmin club.

one sign of that, is that any mutt gathering is overwhelmingly brahmin. as compared to gatherings of other god people in the country.

with our supposed wisdom, if we do not reach out and embrace the other hindu groups as our own, then why complain about conversions?

after all, it was sir c.p. ramaswamy iyer, who encouraged the 'lower' castes of kerala to convert to christianity, as he felt that this was the quickest way to upward material mobility.

total embrace of all hindus including dalits, should be the defining principle of a re-energized mutt. all else is fall in place, after that. atleast i think so.

thank you.

We received a great jolt when Shri JSS was arrested on the fateful day. The sort of emotional ties every TB had with Kanchi Mutt were quite unique and they got strained the moment the bad news came and we felt like being let down by some invisible force.

While there is nothing wrong to review the working of the mutt, let it not become a parallel investigation into the affairs of several individuals, in the past.

Our aim is only to how to remedy the situation and going forward henceforth.

As far as I am concerned, I am too small a person to convey any views or opinion on this subject. We will request some responsible, honest and devout persons from our community to take some initiative so as to see that the mutt regains its past glory and splendour.

Dear Sri rrvvvr Ji,

I agree with your list of actions. There is a person with the handle name 'anushachennai' who used to contribute in the Kanchi Forum (I am saying this because, I remember seeing you there also). He is on the ground in Chennai and is the best person to suggest the names for the panel and act as our emissary to the Acharyals.

Please contact him. If you do not have his contact info. I can do so.

Regarding the panelists, I would recommend 3. This produces perfect triangulation. Also I would recommend that we need to find people with no divided loyalties between Maha Periaval and Periaval. We need neutral fair minded people with solid devotion and objective to help our Gurus to turn this around.

As Sri Kunjuppu suggests, representatives across the Hindu domain will be excellent. But then, we need to make sure that our community welcomes it - there is no use in creating another controversy right now. May be the agenda of inclusiveness can be mapped out for future as an evolution (and not a revolution) so that we can bring along our community in unity.

Regards,
KRS

I have been watching this site without participating and we are unable to agree on three eminent personalities. To make it I recommended a vaishanavite, a madhwa and probably a follower of Sringeri Mutt so that no body can question that these people are loyal to Paramacharya or the present Acharya. I also suggested earlier that people with political affliations should be avoided. Since no specific name is forthcoming, I am suggesting the following names:

1. N Ram of `The Hindu' newspaper. - He is a vaishnavite by birth but an ex-communist. After the arrest of HH Jayendra Saraswathi, when the Junior Acharya returned to Kanchi, he had the guts to receive him at Andhra-Tamilnadu border. When everybody was browbeating the Kanchi Acharyas, this gentlemen (normally doesn't believe God or Religion )played a soothing effect by voluntarily reaching Andhra-Tamilnadu border to receive the Junior Acharya

2. Cho Ramaswamy - During the difficult times, Tuglak was the only magazine in Tamil to support Kanchi mutt. He was made a Member of Parliment by BJP but Cho has proved his independent thinking & opposed BJP also several times.

3. Ram Jethmalani - An eminent lawyer who voluntarily came all the way to Chennai without any calling and appeared for HH Jayendra Saraswathi in the Madras Court. I understand, he refused to accept any fee or expenses.

All the above three have had the guts to come out openly and supported the Acharyas at the critical hour when most of the other eminent people went into their shell.

I request our members to think out of box and suggest other names also.

Regarding N. Ram's kind gesture, it was not known to people like me. (Heard he was an atheist or non-believer) If it was true, I second your proposal wholeheartedly.

i have been watching this site without participating and we are unable to agree on three eminent personalities. To make it i recommended a vaishanavite, a madhwa and probably a follower of sringeri mutt so that no body can question that these people are loyal to paramacharya or the present acharya. I also suggested earlier that people with political affliations should be avoided. Since no specific name is forthcoming, i am suggesting the following names:

1. N ram of `the hindu' newspaper. - he is a vaishnavite by birth but an ex-communist. After the arrest of hh jayendra saraswathi, when the junior acharya returned to kanchi, he had the guts to receive him at andhra-tamilnadu border. When everybody was browbeating the kanchi acharyas, this gentlemen (normally doesn't believe god or religion )played a soothing effect by voluntarily reaching andhra-tamilnadu border to receive the junior acharya

2. Cho ramaswamy - during the difficult times, tuglak was the only magazine in tamil to support kanchi mutt. He was made a member of parliment by bjp but cho has proved his independent thinking & opposed bjp also several times.

3. Ram jethmalani - an eminent lawyer who voluntarily came all the way to chennai without any calling and appeared for hh jayendra saraswathi in the madras court. I understand, he refused to accept any fee or expenses.

All the above three have had the guts to come out openly and supported the acharyas at the critical hour when most of the other eminent people went into their shell.

I request our members to think out of box and suggest other names also.
திரு இரா வே அவர்களே,
வணக்கம், எல்லா மடத்திலும் கொஞ்சம்
பெருச்சாளிகள் உண்டு . மடத்து பெருச்சாளிகளெ
அழிச்சாலெ மடம் உருப்பெடும்...இது என்னுடைய
சொந்த கருத்து....
இப்படிக்கு
திபிஸஃ

So, Sri tbs Ji,

Name the 'Peruchalis' at the Sri Matham, please. So we can get rid of them.

KRS

திரு இரா வே அவர்களே,
வணக்கம், எல்லா மடத்திலும் கொஞ்சம்
பெருச்சாளிகள் உண்டு . மடத்து பெருச்சாளிகளெ
அழிச்சாலெ மடம் உருப்பெடும்...இது என்னுடைய
சொந்த கருத்து....
இப்படிக்கு
திபிஸஃ

பரமாச்சாரியார் மடத்தில் பெருச்சாளிக்கள் இருப்பதை உணர்ந்துதான் மடத்தினுள் பண புழக்கத்தை பெரிய அளவில் அனுமதிக்கவில்லை

Dear Sri Venkatramani Ji,

You are not helping. Please understand that your statement is hurtful to almost half of the Sri Kanchi Matham well wishers. If we go down this path, we will never arrive at a solution.

Regards,
KRS

பரமாச்சாரியார் மடத்தில் பெருச்சாளிக்கள் இருப்பதை உணர்ந்துதான் மடத்தினுள் பண புழக்கத்தை பெரிய அளவில் அனுமதிக்கவில்லை

Sorry Sri KRS ji,

Please treat my statement as withdrawn.Let us move forward.

I request the honourable members to react my earlier suggestion of three names

In any organization there are 7 types of persons:

1. Those who are committed to the previous head of the institution and compare every thing with that of old days and say that currently it is not upto the mark.

2. Those who are committed to the current head of the institution.

3. Those who are always committed to the head of institution, irrespective of time and duration

4. Those who are showing that they are committed to head, and plunder the organization.

5. Those who sneak into the organization ( they are not the member of the organization) for monetary gain. If they did not get an opportunity, they will blame the organization/head and put a slur to the organization..

6. Those who come and go for their own benefit.( like employees) If there is no opportunity for their benefit, they don’t show their face. (They leave the organization)

7. Those who come and go without any commitment for the organization

The organisation’s growth is with people of 2 and 3 category with active participation of 1 category and the rest of category people are only a burden to the organization.

Dear all,

I agree that there should be people from all communities but for the moment it may not be acceptable to all followers of the mutt. So as suggested by KRS let us have this as a long term goal and work on the immediate objective of re-energising the mutt. It appears that there is a consensus to have 3 to 5 persons on the panel. I support the names of Gurumurthy & TN Seshan. N Ram has never been a conformist and may not find time to take up the cause. In fact it is better to keep media guys away (including Cho) at this stage, for, they may use the mutt affairs for their commercial purposes by sensationalising the issue. Padma Subramaniam (dancer?) is fine. Former CEO V Gopalaswamy (a vaishnavite) may also fit the bill. Jethmalini is a kind of maverick and best avoided though it is highly unlikely that he would accept the assignment keeping his busy schedule in mind. Since the mutt ventures are largely limited to TN, it is better to have people from TN. This is only my opinion and open to suggesions.

Next issue is- How to approach the identified individuals? I live in Delhi and would certainly take it as an honour to take the movement forward by making a trip or two to Chennai/Kanchi or whereever provided someone in TN makes the initial moves and the forum administrators facilitate the process of communication. Are there any volunteers for the cause?

Thank you.

Sri T.N.Seshan joined Congress party after holding a high constituional post of Chief Election Commissioner which is not ethical.

Sri Gopalsamy is a good choice and if he is in Tamilnadu, he could be requested to lead the team.

Sri Madhavan, Ex CBI director could be considered. I think he is in Tamilandu only.

Dear all,
Abivadhangal. In fact, the Acharyas also must have some regard for the devotees who come from far off distances to have darshan of the mutt and the pontiffs.
Once when I was in the mutt on official duty, there was a large crowd of women and young people waiting for the darshan of younger pontiff, nearly for two hours. When some one asked a person of the mutt, pat came the reply that the younger pontiff was viewing cricket match on the TV and would take time . One can visualise the feeling of the waiting crowd. In fact, I sympathised with the waiting crowd who were simply dumb founded by the reply.

Pontiffs also must realise that the people must be blessed and express a few kind words and also consoling words to the devotees without keeping them waiting. There must be someone to offer theertham to the devotees.

One more worst aspect is refusal to see widows. Are some among the women born widows? it is the destiny, fate that makes it. Some become widows at young age and some at their seventies.
A pontiff is one who has shed all wordly desires and his aim is to lift the spirit of the devotees, console them when burst out their distress. But contrary is what we see.

The mutt, I understand, is having villages gifted by Pallava kings to the mutt. With the huge fund it can raise at the move of finger, why not have a old age home of world class, make livelihood for the uneducated widows. Why not we think on these lines?

It is my appeal to all the members of this forum. Let us have it as the "Brahmins of the world" and not tamil alone since the brahmin community is all over india and let us not live in isolation from members native to other states.

I invite the esteemed views of the members in order to forge ourselves into a veritable force.

with abivadhangal,

shreeramachandran

Last edited:
Yes there are certain issues which are deeprooted in the system which need to be re-looked. Widow issue is one such thing. Let us first get the mutt governance sorted out before addressing these issues. Once the panel builds a rapport with the public and the acharyas such dogmas which have been in vogue can be projected in the right spirit for consideration by the acharyas.

So far only two or threee names have been found practicable and acceptable. Gurumurthy, Gopalaswamy and Madhavan. We need more names from which we can identify the panel. It is possible that some of them may not like to take up the assignment as it is neither monetarily rewarding nor likely to get government applause. In fact some may even prefer to keep out of the mutt affairs, keeping the political vendetta against the mutt and its followers in mind. It is going to be a herculean task to identify the panel and persuade them to take up the assignment.

Let us think more objectively and move in this direction rather than opening up new topics for discussion and debate. Please dont misuderstand my restlessness for arrogance.

Thankyou

It is my appeal to all the members of this forum. Let us have it as the "Brahmins of the world" and not tamil alone since the brahmin community is all over india and let us not live in isolation from members native to other states.

I invite the esteemed views of the members in order to forge ourselves into a veritable force.

with abivadhangal,

shreeramachandran

shree,

let us confine the discussions to tamil brahmins. our issues and concerns are quite different from brahmins in other states.

the call for pan-brahminism is fraught with dangers, foremost among them, is the further instillition of a caste system based on hierarchy.

modern day hinduism has no place, i think, for deep rooted caste identifications if it is to survive, an increasingly egalitarian equal opportunity seeking world.

our north indian brahmins, i think, are far more chauvinistic and profess airs of superiority. compared to them, we are enlightened a million light years. my views.

let us learn to keep our own house clean and continuously clean, before venturing out to seek dirt in other abodes.

thank you.

venkat, rrvvvr,

if you don't mind me asking you this... do you think anyone in the mutt or its environs, could care to answer an appeal from some ordinary folks?

i do not know much about the mutt.. . even if an appointed panel, approaches the mutt, do you honestly believe that the entrenched powers there will move aside?

i have my doubts about this. not that i have any alternative ideas.

i think, any changes, can only come from within. if there is a pattern of behaviour shown at an early age, it is seldom, that this pattern changes, unless there is some shock or enlightenment.

failing which, there is no recourse, but to wait till the reins are handed over to the next prince. after all, the mutt, very much operates like a semi-kingdom, with appointed lineage of succession.

does it not?

if so, we have no recourse, but to bear with the current heads, and wait till a new one gets selected. but that will not be before another couple of generations....

thank you.

The glory of the Kanchi mutt can be restored by the Acharya only. It is he who has to seek us out and restore our faith in the Mutt. The enormous amount of goodwill that the Paramacharya had built up in his long life has been far too quickly squandered by his successor. It is never a good sight seeing your Guru/Acharya dragged through the mud. The Acharya has to convince his devotees that the mudslinging he has undergone was for the greater good. At present, I strongly feel that he got a taste of the same medicine that all politicians get while playing their games. All I can say is that inspite of all that has happened; inspite of the absence of his photo in many household, the Acharya still carries a lot of goodwill.

Dear Sri Kunjuppu ji,

I have already raised the point whether the mutt authorities will allow such a review exercise being carried out by an independent committee. Before requesting the proposed committee members, we have to ascertain from the mutt authorities whether they are willing to accept our proposal.

Unless they accept, there is no point in discussing further on the issue. Those who are having close association with the mutt only can move such a proposal with the mutt authorities.

venkat, rrvvvr,

if you don't mind me asking you this... do you think anyone in the mutt or its environs, could care to answer an appeal from some ordinary folks?

i do not know much about the mutt.. . even if an appointed panel, approaches the mutt, do you honestly believe that the entrenched powers there will move aside?

i have my doubts about this.

i think, any changes, can only come from within. if there is a pattern of behaviour shown at an early age, it is seldom, that this pattern changes, unless there is some shock or enlightenment.

failing which, there is no recourse, but to wait till the reins are handed over to the next prince.

does it not?

if so, we have no recourse, but to bear with the current heads, and wait till a new one gets selected. but that will not be before another couple of generations....

thank you.

Rightly pointed out- who cares for the public opinion.
has the mutt called for opinion survey? or required PR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back