• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Re-energising the Kanchi mutt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear Suvarchas ji,

Your words are giving us confidence. I am sure we will able to proceed further. I will contact all of you who have given your details to me and get back to the forum.

Thanks.
Dear Sir,
It is my humble wish to be of service to the hoary Mutt and thro which I would be able to serve the Gurus and our community .I have also informed Sriramsharma about the forum and the desire of members.So I eagerly look forward to your lead in taking it further.

Namaskaram

Dear SRK,

Thanks for your thoughtfulness. I hope to get a few more names. I will contact you on the coming sunday.

Let us make an earnest attempt with the blessings of the almighty and the acharyas.

Thankyou

Dear all,

As promised earlier, I got in touch with a few members today. Before that I had sent private message through this forum that I wanted to contact them personally if they permitted. Some of them have responded saying that they would limit themselves to contributing online and they are not in a position to involve any more. Some have wished me all the best without either accepting or rejecting my proposal. Some have not responded to my message. Accordingly I contacted only the keen individuals and sought their views. I thank them for their support. I must particularly thank RV ji for his opinions and willingness to go the full length in reaching our goal. I thank Suvarchas ji for his opinions and his help in providing some leads to the mutt.

The current situation is- We need to place our views before the Acharyas and obtain their go ahead (both of them) before we proceed any further. Once we obtain their sanction, we can put in a panel within a few days. A few members have confirmed that they will use their contacts and convey the concerns of TBs to the gurus. I have decided to try all means to convey this to the gurus myself. I urge all of you to think on these lines, though there would be hurdles and it is not an easy task. The more the number, the better will be the impact. As I see this, it is going to take some time, may be a few months, before our effort fructifies. This time lag can work in our favour because the legal issues of the mutt would reduce to some extent in the coming months.

In the meantime, the readers can contribute more ideas towards the overall effort in re-energising the mutt. I urge the members to consider our present exercise as only one step in the direction. There are many others. Please make visits to the mutt and spread the word around for patronising the mutt more often, more closely. It is ur mutt and we can't let it down. We need the mutt, the gurus and its divine blessings for "Loka kshemam".

Thanks.

Dear Sri rrvvvr ji,

We are all thankful to you for taking the initiative. Without initiative, we would not have progressed to this extent.

As you rightly mentioned, it is going to be a tough task. However nothing is impossible.

We all wish you all the best in your endeavour

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

to rrvvvr ji, sir I was waiting your Phone call and the whole day I was at Home only. When again you will contact me pl inform. All are thankful to for taking much pain inthe task and you will WIN both the hearts of Tamil Brahmins and the the GURU's. with regards, s.r.k.

Energising the mutt calls for the Energizers,who can only be the faithfuls and followers from the public mass, but not some corporate bigwigs or Govt officials..

dears actually the present acharyas virtually brought the activies of our mutt to every one at their easy approach. probably HH has brought it to their (people)street and did not hold it SRIKANCHI itself.actually in those difficult periods I recited APPADHDHUDHDHARAKKA RAMASTHOTHRAM daily and prayed ALLMIGHTYfor the betterment. pranams v.lalithakumar

Incidentally, Maths and monasticism in Hinduism are actually imports from Buddhism and Jainism. We can thank Sankara for this import. In actual Vedic Hinduism, we only had forest ashrams, some of which contained one or more rshis and some larger ashrams that were also gurukulams. Such hermitages were much more uncomplicated than the Maths. Unlike wealthy and politically powerful maths, there were no wealthy ashrams, nor were there fights to become the pontiff. By and large they stuck to their prime business of scholarship.

Incidentally, Maths and monasticism in Hinduism are actually imports from Buddhism and Jainism. We can thank Sankara for this import. In actual Vedic Hinduism, we only had forest ashrams, some of which contained one or more rshis and some larger ashrams that were also gurukulams. Such hermitages were much more uncomplicated than the Maths. Unlike wealthy and politically powerful maths, there were no wealthy ashrams, nor were there fights to become the pontiff. By and large they stuck to their prime business of scholarship.

True in vedic times there were only forest ashrams. They also gave rise to the aranyaka texts or so it seems (though GM Williams dates the aranyaka period from 900 to 600bc).

But monasticism is not really imported from Buddism.

The upanishadic period started around 900-800bc. It predates Buddhism. And monastacism (parivrajaka wandering monks) in hinduism happened in the upanishadic period.

It is possible they began organizing themselves as maths before buddhism took root. However, it is not clear whether the whole concept of maths to serve as an institution for monks was started by Buddhist monks or Hindu ones.

Last edited:
Re-engineer the mindset

I wonder how the learned population expects an unconditional support to the Acharyas and never bother the least about what is going on. If one is fit his bill, time and nature pays him his due without bios. If you say that the going gets tough, the tough only gets going. People deliberately want to avoid many of the valid points focussed by many members.

First of all, the Mutt is not started by HH Adi Sankara for the brahmins only and we can never have a claim for it. If the Acaryas are from this sect it is due to the fact that to qualify for the post, protocols to be followed are so tight and this section has a natural implementation into this. If more NBs are coming to the mutt, feel happy about it and feel ashamed that one is not able to bring their own family members to the mutt. Lamenting is no solution. As rightly pointed by a member in some previous post, I think more than the so-called selfish brahmins, the devoted group of NBs might bring a solution to the current problem.

The mutt has to immediately refine itself in activities like domination of relatives of the top in its activities. Thuravu refers to leaving all and if the father, mother brother and all of the family come to the near and have an active say in the destruction process, How do you valuate the Thuravi and his senior who is not able to prevent it. Do you want to attach this also to the difficult times?

The mutt had seen a lot of wonderful supremacies. Our Paramacharya is an obvious example. The purity and quality of him made anybody from various casts and even religion feel proud of having lived in his time. Can you compare it to what the mutt is now? None even dared to show a finger at it. Do you think that a Mutt of this position is so low to be possibly destroyed by cheap politicians?

Questions were and will be asked; sofar we had convincing answers to them across time. But now, we dont have it and it is stinky to expect that they should not be asked. Let us please please seek reality and reengineer the Mutt to it old glory. I again insist that the re-engineering is required in the mindset and activities of the Acharyas and Nirvagis more than the physical administrative layers.

True in vedic times there were only forest ashrams. They also gave rise to the aranyaka texts or so it seems (though GM Williams dates the aranyaka period from 900 to 600bc).

But monasticism is not really imported from Buddism.

The upanishadic period started around 900-800bc. It predates Buddhism. And monastacism (parivrajaka wandering monks) in hinduism happened in the upanishadic period.

It is possible they began organizing themselves as maths before buddhism took root. However, it is not clear whether the whole concept of maths to serve as an institution for monks was started by Buddhist monks or Hindu ones.

I don't think you will be able to give me hard evidence or non-speculative sources about the existence of Hindu "maths" in or near city centers (as opposed to Forest Ashrams) from pre-Buddhist times. Note that such maths must also minister and be part of the social polity of the city center. Also, I may have an open mind on the Upanishadic dates you offer, but most of my academic colleagues who deal with Indology, won't agree.

I don't think you will be able to give me hard evidence or non-speculative sources about the existence of Hindu "maths" in or near city centers (as opposed to Forest Ashrams) from pre-Buddhist times. Note that such maths must also minister and be part of the social polity of the city center. Also, I may have an open mind on the Upanishadic dates you offer, but most of my academic colleagues who deal with Indology, won't agree.

I don't think i spoke abt hard evidence.

This is wht i wrote:
"It is possible they began organizing themselves as maths before buddhism took root. However, it is not clear whether the whole concept of maths to serve as an institution for monks was started by Buddhist monks or Hindu ones".

Am not sure why you think a math must minister / be a social polity of the city centre? Please do elaborate on this.

Please let me know abt the upanishadic dates from your end. Wud love to hear more.

Dear all,

I am in the process of establishing contacts in the mutt so that we get a chance to meet the acharyas in person, obtain his blessings and discuss the issue. Hope lord will help us take the issue forward. As suggested by Mr Suvarchas I tried to contact Mr Rama sharma many times, but could not get him on line. I will continue with my effort.

Dear all,

I am in the process of establishing contacts in the mutt so that we get a chance to meet the acharyas in person, obtain his blessings and discuss the issue. Hope lord will help us take the issue forward. As suggested by Mr Suvarchas I tried to contact Mr Rama sharma many times, but could not get him on line. I will continue with my effort.

Dear Sir,
Mr.Rama sharma is now in Kumbakonam accompanying Shri.Acharya.I have also told about your mission to him.Meanwhile you can also contact Mr.Venkateshvara Rao who is now the SriKaryam.His contact number is 09444888254 or the land line:914427222115.You can refer to me as Auditor Sundar of Madurai so that both Their Holiness will recognise

Dear Suvarchas ji,

Thanks for your updates and all the contribution. I shall contact Mr Rao and talk to him. I have spoken to few members of the thread in person and was glad to find that they are very enthusiastic about the cause.

Thanks.

progress

Dear all,

In the last few weeks I have been speaking to number of people on the issue of re-energising the mutt and implementing the plan that we have discussed so far. Today I spoke to Mr Venkateshwar Rao, at Kanchi matam. I thank Mr Suvarchas for providing the contact numbers. It was a satisfying experience talking to Mr Rao. He has been involved with mutt closely from 1964 onwards. He has a strong faith in the mutt and acharyas. He explained how the relationship between guru and shishya should be based on complete trust and not on skepticism.

After hearing to Mr Rao, it was indeed very difficult for me to tell him what the members of the forum feel about the mutt and its affairs. Somehow I gathered courage and told him about the feelings expressed in the forum. I even requested him to go through it which he agreed to. At first he suggested to say that these kinds of doubts should be ignored if one was a true devotee of the mutt. But when I explained that there is a duty for the faithful to clarify the issues raised by other members of the community he agreed completely and kindly consented to address our concerns.

As a first step, I am sending a letter to Mr Rao, to which he would provide his perspective. I feel this is necessary in the light of the fact that we would have to interact with mutt authorities some time later when we discuss the issues deeply. I shall post -in a day or two, the letter to the mutt and the reply from Mr Rao when I receive it.

On the other hand, there are some efforts being made by some members of the forum to place take the issue before the acharyas directly. All of you would agree that such an attempt would take some time because we need to identify the right platform for conveying our concerns to the acharyas. Hopefully we should see some progress in this direction shortly, with the efforts of our members.

I feel it is important to take the issue on both fronts - through the faithful volunteers of the mutt on one side and through a group of well wishers on the other. There is a point of convergence at some point which would be most crucial. Nothing would move forward without the blessings of both the acharyas in the steps we initiate. When we move in both directions, the blessings can be easily converted into action. I shall elaborate more as the process moves forward.

Thanks

Dear all,

In the last few weeks I have been speaking to number of people on the issue of re-energising the mutt and implementing the plan that we have discussed so far. Today I spoke to Mr Venkateshwar Rao, at Kanchi matam. I thank Mr Suvarchas for providing the contact numbers. It was a satisfying experience talking to Mr Rao. He has been involved with mutt closely from 1964 onwards. He has a strong faith in the mutt and acharyas. He explained how the relationship between guru and shishya should be based on complete trust and not on skepticism.

After hearing to Mr Rao, it was indeed very difficult for me to tell him what the members of the forum feel about the mutt and its affairs. Somehow I gathered courage and told him about the feelings expressed in the forum. I even requested him to go through it which he agreed to. At first he suggested to say that these kinds of doubts should be ignored if one was a true devotee of the mutt. But when I explained that there is a duty for the faithful to clarify the issues raised by other members of the community he agreed completely and kindly consented to address our concerns.

As a first step, I am sending a letter to Mr Rao, to which he would provide his perspective. I feel this is necessary in the light of the fact that we would have to interact with mutt authorities some time later when we discuss the issues deeply. I shall post -in a day or two, the letter to the mutt and the reply from Mr Rao when I receive it.

On the other hand, there are some efforts being made by some members of the forum to place take the issue before the acharyas directly. All of you would agree that such an attempt would take some time because we need to identify the right platform for conveying our concerns to the acharyas. Hopefully we should see some progress in this direction shortly, with the efforts of our members.

I feel it is important to take the issue on both fronts - through the faithful volunteers of the mutt on one side and through a group of well wishers on the other. There is a point of convergence at some point which would be most crucial. Nothing would move forward without the blessings of both the acharyas in the steps we initiate. When we move in both directions, the blessings can be easily converted into action. I shall elaborate more as the process moves forward.

Thanks
Dear Sir,
I would suggest your meeting the Manager and Their H.H. for taking it forward as a face to face meeting could also clear many lurking doubts in the minds of members.If need be I can also assist you and take part in the meeting.

to begin with ...

the mutt can start by not selling education and healthcare ... by taking it to the deserving and by stopping to have money and influence play such important parts in these institutions ... can take a leaf out of puttaparthi ....

then their HH can start walking wherever they go .. no one is going to achieve more than the adi acharya or paramacharya , jus coz they "fly" everywhere ... as for not walking coz of security issues ... there is always the inspiration to look at how sri lakshmi nrisimha karavalamba stotram came about , the adi acharya did not even try to protect himself from someone who wanted to hurt him .... if paramacharya's grace is not enough security for them to give up all this paraphernelia like a/c .. cooler ... high-fi transport .. cellphone and all ... no amt of effort is going to succeed ... a lil living by example wuld help ...

the very title of this thread only suggests that the mutt and its keepers have moved away from paramacharya's simplicity of living by example and his austerity , first and foremost ....

to begin with ...

the mutt can start by not selling education and healthcare ... by taking it to the deserving and by stopping to have money and influence play such important parts in these institutions ... can take a leaf out of puttaparthi ....

then their HH can start walking wherever they go .. no one is going to achieve more than the adi acharya or paramacharya , jus coz they "fly" everywhere ... as for not walking coz of security issues ... there is always the inspiration to look at how sri lakshmi nrisimha karavalamba stotram came about , the adi acharya did not even try to protect himself from someone who wanted to hurt him .... if paramacharya's grace is not enough security for them to give up all this paraphernelia like a/c .. cooler ... high-fi transport .. cellphone and all ... no amt of effort is going to succeed ... a lil living by example wuld help ...

the very title of this thread only suggests that the mutt and its keepers have moved away from paramacharya's simplicity of living by example and his austerity , first and foremost ....

I have to remind the Hon'ble member that Their H.H. are sure mature enough how to run the mutt or conduct themselves.It would be sheer audacity on our part to advise them as to how they should conduct which would defeat the very conept of having a Guru-Shishya lineage.No doubt people are concerned about the plight of the Mutt.But that does not give us a license to sit on judgement over their actions as it would presuppose that we are much more enlightened which sadly is not the truth.Let us do an introspection that whether we are true to ourselves in discharging our functions as good individuals or Brahmins.My understanding of the situation is that we can offer our help in such a way as not to question their wisdom or sit on the propriety or impropriety of their actions which could be construed as impertinence

Re-Energising the Kanchi mutt

I agree totally with the views expressed. I am a regular visitor to Mutt then and now. But what I could see n many earlier bhakthas are not frequenting to mutt and I don't understand the reasons.I would venture to suggest that every one should make it a ritual to visit mutt as many times as possible and participate in poojas. Increase in number of participants would show the solidarity of our community to those who live in a imaginary world.

Swamiramji has said the right thing. Infact the very purpose of starting this thread is to see that more and more devotees go to the mutt and bring back its past glory. But in that last few months we have discovered that some members are disillusioned by some experiences and reports of the mutt. Now we are in the process of resolving in the issues in a manner that provides transparency.

Suvarchas ji, thanks for your adivice and help. We will take the matter before the gurus at the opportune time. Just by taking up the matter before them and offering a few solutions to existing problems does not tantamount to impertinence I suppose. Whatever we do, we will do only with full cosent and blessings of the acharyas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back