• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Occasional Piece of Interesting Information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Biological value of what we eat

Everyone talks about protein insufficiency of Indian food. Here are some points to ponder.

The figure below shows the "biological value" of some foods containing relatively high levels of protein. All values are relative to chicken egg which is set to 1.0. Why chicken egg is the standard? Because, it contains all that is necessary to sustain and give birth to a new life!

food values.JPG

Note that human milk is better than egg, with slightly higher concentrations of many amino acids. Shows why breast-feeding is important. Next comes cow’s milk. Note also that rice is better than wheat.

The yellow colouring represents amino acids present at lower levels (< 70% of egg) . These low values occur mainly in vegetable products.

By a judicious combination of milk, grains and vegetables, we can obtain a good balanced amino acid contribution in the diet.

Vegetarians can meet all their protein needs from non-meat foods. If you take a protein supplement, all that it does is to contribute to your protein intake and burn a large hole in your wallet.

There's also no advantage to taking expensive amino acid supplements. Many of the so-called protein supplements usually contain a mixture of amino acids, so using large quantities of such supplements does not lead to more muscle mass and the amino acids from these supplements cannot be stored in the body! They go to make a "very expensive urine".

Yet there is such a big "protein supplement" market. A search on the Internet gives over 44 million hits for this subject (mostly sales offers!). Mcgilvery, Biochemistry

Last edited:

From an e-mail I received:

What happens if you wring out a wet towel while floating in space?

The water shouldn't fall towards the floor because while orbiting the Earth, free falling objects will appear to float.

But will the water fly out from the towel or what?? The answer may surprise you…

Wringing a Wet Towel in Orbit :cool:

Posted without comments
Cringe! Miss Utah Fumbles On Income Inequality Question : The Two-Way : NPR

(You should read the comments posted here) and if you are in a hurry you can watch these youtube videos

miss utah - YouTube Miss Utah's answer in 2013 for a question : "A recent report shows that in 40 percent of American families with children, women are the primary earners, yet they continue to earn less than men. What does this say about society?"

Miss Teen USA 2007 - South Carolina answers a question - YouTube Miss South Carolina's answer in 2007 for a question why many Americans don't know geography.

Posted without comments
Cringe! Miss Utah Fumbles On Income Inequality Question : The Two-Way : NPR

(You should read the comments posted here) and if you are in a hurry you can watch these youtube videos

miss utah - YouTube Miss Utah's answer in 2013 for a question : "A recent report shows that in 40 percent of American families with children, women are the primary earners, yet they continue to earn less than men. What does this say about society?"

Miss Teen USA 2007 - South Carolina answers a question - YouTube Miss South Carolina's answer in 2007 for a question why many Americans don't know geography.

Whatever fumbling Miss Utah made, it is harmless entertainment, compared to what some very adult people have said. In August 2012 , Missouri Republican Rep. Todd Akin claimed that women who are victims of "legitimate" rape can avoid pregnancy because “the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.” And Akin sits on the House Committee for Science.

Agreed with your remark. I am also reminded of what Senator Ted Stevens (who was in charge of regulating the internet) talked in the senate floor (in 2006) how the internet works.

Hope the future generation will be more thoughtful and knowledgeable.

Please see this link for the reaction (in slight support of Miss Utah)
http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/...-miss-utah-usa-a-little-bit-with-reservations

Whatever fumbling Miss Utah made, it is harmless entertainment, compared to what some very adult people have said. In August 2012 , Missouri Republican Rep. Todd Akin claimed that women who are victims of "legitimate" rape can avoid pregnancy because “the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down.” And Akin sits on the House Committee for Science.

A very nice broadcast from NPR
Therapy Helps Troubled Teens Rethink Crime : Shots - Health News : NPR

Therapy Helps Troubled Teens Rethink Crime by Shankar vedantam ( I had already mentioned about Shankar Vedantam's book here http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/book-extracts-reviews/7197-hidden-brain-shankar-vedantam.html )

Here is a key point:
The goal of such exercises, Ludwig explains, is to help the teens understand that their strong, negative reactions during confrontations are often based on what they falsely imagine is happening in other people's minds. Getting the students to put a more benign spin on what they imagined the other guy was thinking was key to helping them control their own impulsive behavior, Ludwig says. And the approach worked — at least for a while.

Can a lion bond with humans?

In 1969 two young Australians Anthony Bourke and John Rendall visited Harrods in London, saw a young lion cub, and acting on an impulse and with no previous lion-taming experience they bought the cub, named him Christian, and took him into their flat which had a basement under an antique shop, as a co-tenant.

Christian soon grew both in size and popularity and his boisterousness caused quite a stir in the antique shop. Keeping a growing lion in the center of London became untenable. George Adamson, a wild-life conservationist in Kenya agreed to receive and help Christian adapt to a new home in Kenya.

Years later, when Anthony and John went to Kenya , to see how Christian was faring, everyone thought that the lion wouldn't care about them.
See what happened - a clip of the visit with Christian.
christian the lion - YouTube

Last edited:
'Genius'13-year-old with IQ of 162
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-22803098
Neha Ramu is only 13 - but she is already a genius, with a higher IQ than Stephen Hawking.
She scored 162 in a Mensa IQ test for people under 18, the highest possible mark - putting her in the top one percent of the UK's brightest people. Any score of above 140 is considered to be that of a genius.
Neha came to the UK from Bangalore in India when she was seven, but it was only in recent years that her parents started to realisethe true level of her intelligence.
Read more here
http://www.parentsociety.com/news-2/12-year-old-girl-has-higher-iq-than-einstein

Very Thought provoking (to me) talk from TEDMedicine
Peter Attia: What if we are wrong about diabetes? - YouTube

I got it after reading this article Blaming the patient and then asking for forgiveness
Blaming the Patient, Then Asking Forgiveness - NYTimes.com
This guy is one of the rare breed of doctors who got out of his hubris into real humility! Note that the transformation occurred subsequent to his developing metabolic syndrome himself. He became overweight and was on a fast track toward obesity and diabetes.

As the Tamil saying goes ;
அவனவனுக்கு அனுபவிச்சாதான் நிலமை/விஷயம் புரியும்

Last edited:
This talk by Susan Cain strikes a chord

From the link
http://www.ted.com In a culture where being social and outgoing are prized above all else, it can be difficult, even shameful, to be an introvert. But, as Susan Cain argues in this passionate talk, introverts bring extraordinary talents and abilities to the world, and should be encouraged and celebrated

Susan Cain: The power of introverts - YouTube

If this happens to India, is it another case of aping the west? :)

Last edited:
This is slightly different than a sloka that prescribes the order. The benefits of
each is very helpful…At least one day, all 22 can be performed !!!!

According to Krishan Yajur Ved, the following items for Abhishek,
each item for each Anuvaak, to Lord Shiva are offered:

(1) Cow Milk – All-round happiness;
(2) Cow yogurt – health;
(3) Cow ghee – financial prosperity;
(4) Sugarcane juice (or candy) – destruction of sorrow;
(5) Honey – Tejo Vriddhi;
(6) Coconut water – Sarv Sampadaa Vriddhi;
(7) Bhasm – Destruction of great sins;
(8) Sandal wood water – Sons’ prosperity;
(9) Pushpodak – Bhoo Laabh;
(10) Bilvajalam – Bhog and Bhagya;
(11) Doorvodakam – Nasht Dravya Praapti;
(12) Sesame Oil – Apa Mrityu Haram;
(13) Rudraakshodak – Mahaa Aishwaryam;
(14) Gold water – Destruction of Daridra;
(15) Rice – Raajya Praapti;
(16) Grape Juice- Sakal Kaarya Jayam;
(17) Dates (Khajoor) juice – destruction of both internal and external enemies;
(18) Black Apples – Renunciation;
(19) Kastooree Water – Kingdom;
(20) Nav Ratan Jal – Dhaanya, Griha development;
(21) Mango Juice – Destruction of long ailments;
(22) Turmeric water – Mangalprad

Infertility is less likely in women with children, according to data released by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Wednesday.

Sounds like saying that research has concluded that you’ll be a year older next year or that you will want to eat food when you’re hungry.

See the following reports:

New York Times
CDC report

Dr Ross

That was a terrific one

I trust you've heard of ho the NASA astronauts make jottings and take notes on board
a space craft while in space.

Good one.

Yay Yem

Dr Ross

Ok, the story goes something like this:

[ authenticity, questionable ]

It was the peak of the cold-war period when the Soviet block and the Western block were vying with
each other in every possible sphere of human existence. So too was the arena of SPACE dragged into the
field of one-upmanship.

NASA astronauts were finding it difficult to make jottings in the log books and take notes of various things
while travelling in space. The writing instruments just wouldn't work. The ink either froze or just refused
to flow with capillary action.

When this was notified to NASA, they appointed an expert committee with an unlimited budget - the sole
purpose of it was to design pens that would write in zero-gravity and sub-zero conditions. A lot of money
was spent, time invested and R&D done. After the passage of several years and expending of several millions
on the project, many prototypes were put to test. But none of these was 100% fit for usage on space
voyages. Based upon the feedback, several up-gradations were made. But the dis-satisfaction persisted.

Some wise guy came up with the bright idea of taking a peep into how the Soviets addressed the issue.

They found the Soviets Cosmonauts using PENCILS !

B Rgds
Yay Yem

PS: Dr Ross, there are some "SPACE PENS" available for a price - several Internet Marketing Cos
advertise for these. I really don't know who buys these and for what purpose ! If I ever do so, I think
I will go to space with PENCIL, an ERASER - and maybe a 7'C Clock blade, in case I need to sharpen it there

...... PS: Dr Ross, there are some "SPACE PENS" available for a price - several Internet Marketing Cos
advertise for these. I really don't know who buys these and for what purpose ! If I ever do so, I think
I will go to space with PENCIL, an ERASER - and maybe a 7'C Clock blade, in case I need to sharpen it there
No need of blades, A M Sir! They might be banned inside the spaceship!

You may use a mechanical pencil (US English) or a propelling pencil (UK English) or a pen pencil (Indian English)

- a
pencil with a replaceable and mechanically extendable solid pigment core called a lead. The lead is not bonded

to the outer casing and can be extended as its point is worn away. The lead is often made of
graphite / a solid pigment.

Mechanical pencils are used to provide lines of constant thickness without
sharpening in technical drawing and writing.

Source:
Mechanical pencil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back