• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Jagatguru Sri Maha Periyava Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

ஶ்ருதி ஸ்மிருதி புராணானாம் ஆலயம் கருணாலயம்
நமாமி பகவத் பாதம் சங்கரம் லோக சங்கரம்

பெரியவாசரணம்

Experiences with Maha Periyava: The Mystic Who Dazzled the Western Professors

Professor Robinson was the President of the South Carolina University, U.S.A. He was trained in Greek philosophy.

A team of professors from many departments of some of the universities of the U.S.A. came to Chennai.

I told Robinson, "You must go to Kanchi and have darshan of Periyavar." That was all! His eyes blossomed. He narrated the wonderful story of their visit to Kanchi on the very same day. They roamed Kanchi in small groups, knowing nothing about Sankara Matham or Periyavargal. Robinson and two others came accidentally opposite the entrance to Sankara Matham.

They entered, thinking it was a temple. He narrates what happened there, himself:

"The cot was a charpoy fitted with ropes. A man of matured old age was sitting on it. A large crowd around Him. We did not understand anything. Suddenly a boy came running to us. 'Are you from America?' he asked us. Surprised, we said 'Yes.' There was absolutely no chance that anyone there would know us. The next question stunned us. 'Who is Professor Robinson among you? I have orders only to bring him to the sage.'

"I had darshan of Periyavar. He asked me to sit near Him. That was all! I was not conscious of the passing of them thereafter!" Robinson was unable to continue talking, overwhelmed by tears of joy. I understood that the one who said it did not see and the only that saw it did not say.
(This same Robinson, when he came to the American Embassy in Chennai in April-May 1994, rang up Dr. Padma Subramanyam and inquired, "Is Maha Swamigal fine?" When he was told that Sri Swamigal had attained siddhi, he had asked, "Is it on January 8th or 9th?"

"How do you know it so correctly?" Dr Padma had asked him.

Robinson replied in a voice choked with emotion, "On that day Maha Periyava gave me darshan (in a vision), said 'Goodbye' thrice and disappeared... If I told this news to anyone in our place, they wouldn't be able to understand it, which was why I couldn't verify it with anyone here.")

Jagadguru Sri Maha Periyava is always there Blessing all of us with His Abhaya Hastam!
Author: Dr. Padma Subramanyam, 'Nrutyodaya', Chennai

Source: Maha Periyaval - Darisana Anubhavangal Vol. 2
Compiled by Jagadguru Sri Maha Periyava - Kanchi Paramacharya/Fb

Source: MAHA PERIYAVA Public Group/Face Book

ஹர ஹர சங்கர ஜெய ஜெய சங்கர !!

பெரியவாசரணம்

What Life has taught Me
His Holiness Jagadguru Sri Chandrasekharendra SarasvathiMahaswamigal
Sri Sankaracharya of Kanchi Kamakoti Peetham
[Bhavan's Journal was privileged to publish theParamacharya's article entitled 'What Life Has Taught Me' some years ago.Rarely do saints like our Paramacharya talk about themselves. But he did so andwhat he said was marked by 'vinaya', humility of which he is never tried of speaking.Said the Acharya: "God has created some souls to live for others only.
When this article appeared in the 'Bhavan'sjournal', Rajaji was the first to congratulate us on securing an article ofthis kind from His Holiness.

The first two experiences remembered as having occurred in thethird of fourth year of my life, are dreadful to think, as they were interwovenwith temptation, a greed avarice, deceit, groaning, loss lamentation and thelike.
A 'mara naai' as they call it in Tamil or teddy cat (an animalwhich generally climbs on trees and destroys the fruits during nights) somehowgot into a room in the house and thrust its head into a small copper potcontaining jaggery. The animal was not able to pull out its head and wasrunning here and there in the room all through the right with its head stuck inthe pot.
People in the house and neighbours were aroused by the noise andthought that some thief was at his job. But, the incessant noise continued eventill morning hours, and incessant noise continued even till morning houses, andsome bravados armed with sticks opened the door of the room and found thegreedy animal. It was then roped and tied to a pillar. Some experienced menwere brought and after being engaged in a tug-of-war, they ultimately succeededin removing the vessel from the head of the animal. The animal was strugglingfor life. It was at last taken to some spot and set free, I presume. The firstexperience of my life was this dreadful demonstration born of greed causing allout neighbours to spend an anxious and sleepless night.
The next experience relates to a main in the street who enteredthe house seeing me alone with tiny golden bangles upon which he began to layhis hands. I asked him to tighten the hooks of the bangles which had becomeloose and gave a peremptory and authoritative direction to him to bring themback repaired without delay.

The man took my orders most obediently and took leave of me withthe golden booty. In glee of having arranged for repairs to my ornament, Ispeeded to inform my people inside of the arrangement made by me with the manin the street who gave his name as Ponnusami. The people inside hurried to thestreet to find out the culprit. But the booty had become his property true tohis assumed name, Ponnusami (master of gold).

Contd...../2

--: 2:--

These two experience at a tender innocent age are recurringsuccessively in some form or other even at this tottering age, nearing seventy,reminding me of being liable to be duped or eagerness to get by some short cutsome material gain.

In attempting to judge the objective world with this rod ofselfishness and superficiality of mine which has rightly earned for me thereputation of being a clever Swami, I am prone to come to the conclusion thatthere lives none without predominantly selfish motives.

But with years rolling on, an impression, that too a superficialone true to my nature, is dawning upon me that there breathe on this globe somesouls firmly rooted in morals and ethics who live exclusively for othersvoluntarily forsaking not only their material gains and comforts but also theirown sadhana towards their spiritual improvements.

A New Turn

In the beginning of the year 1907, when I was studying in aChristian Mission School at Tindivanam, a town in the South Arcot District, I heardone day that the Sankaracharya of Kamakoti Peetha who was amidst us in our townin the previous year, attained siddhi at Kalavai, a village about 10 miles fromArcot and 25 miles from Kanchipuram. Information was received that a maternalcousin of mine who, after some study in Rig Veda, had joined the camp of theAcharya offering his services to him, was installed on the Peetha.

He was the only son of the widowed and destitute sister of mymother and there was not a soul in the camp to console her. At this juncture,my father who was a Supervisor of Schools in the Tindivanam Taluk, planned toproceed with his family to Kalavai, some 60 miles from Tindivanam in his ownbullock cart. But on account of an educational conference at Trichinopoly, hecancelled the program.

My mother with myself and other children started for Kalavai toconsole her sister on her son assuming the Sannyasa Asrama. We traveled by railto Kanchipuram, and halted at the Sankaracharya Mutt there. I had my ablutionsat the Kumara Koshta Tiratha. A carriage of the Mutt has come there fromKalavai with persons to buy articles for the Maha Pooja on the 10th day afterthe passing away of the late Acharya Paramaguru. But one of them, a hereditarymaistri of Mutt, asked me to accompany him. A separate cart was engaged for therest of the family to follow me.

During our journey, the maistri hinted to met that I might notreturn home and that the rest of my life might have to be spent in the Muttitself. At first I thought that my elder cousin having become the Head of theMutt, it might have been his wish that I was to live with him. I was then only13 years of age and so I wondered as to what use I might be to him in theinstitution.

Contd..../3

-- 3 --

But the maistri gradually began to clarify as miles rolled on,that the Acharya, my cousin in the Poorvashram, had fever which developed intodelirium and that was why I was being separated from the family to be quicklytaken to Kalavai. He told me that he was commissioned to go to Tindivanam andfetch me, but he was able to meet me at Kanchipuram itself. I was stunned bythis unexpected turn of events. I lay in a kneeling posture in the cart itselfif shocked as I was, repeating Rama Rama, the only spiritual prayer I knew,during the rest of the journey.

My mother and the other children some time later only to findthat instead of her mission of consoling her sister, she herself was placed inthe state of having to be consoled by someone else.

My robes of Sannyasa were not the result of any renunciation onmy part, nor had I the advantage of living under a Guru for any length of time.I was surrounded from the very first day of Sannayasa by all the comforts andresponsibilities of a gorgeous court.

But, it so happened that Tummuluru Rama Krishnayya andAdayapalam Pasupati Iyer both of them serving in the District Court of SouthArcot and ardent disciples of my Gurus, were there in Kalavai when I tookSannayasa Asrama. Later, It became clear that they were determined to help meto mould my life in my youth.

Ramakrishnayya being worried by a lot of family burdens, inspite of his detached mentality, it fell to the lot of Pasupati to shoulder thetask. Pasupati devoted most of his leisure to solitary meditation and readingVedanta Prakaranas of Treatises of Sri Sankaracharya.

Such a man retired from Government service soon after myascending the Gadi and lived with me always, watching my every action, speechand twinkling of the eye. He even curtailed his mediation in order to devotesome time to the supervision of the secular administration of the Mutt.

He would meet me in private periodically, point out every itemof weakness he had observed during the intervening period and implore me toheed to his suggestion to overcome them. When he had sometimes to be veryharsh, he would tell me that for all these aparadhas he was committing towardsone of a higher
Asrama, he would make amends when I grew up as a full-fledgedsaint.

He used to persuade everyday every friend of his to turn hismind to self-introspection and would argue with him freely as to what permanentvalues he had gained by being materialistic and would bluntly point out toevery one of them his points of weakness and ask him to ponder whether theremedies contained in the Upanishads and Sankara's Prakaranas might not begiven a trial.

He would meet even unacquainted persons in the street andenquire into their worries and woes and would succeed in transforming them intotrue devotees of God, true followers of Vedanta and true sishyas of Sankara.

He lived close by me partaking in my Sankara Bhashya Patha till1926, or a period of 18 years. He lived for my sake in Kumbhakonam famous forits mosquitoes and elephantiasis and became a victim of filariasis and fever.Nevertheless, he would not leave me.

When he was bed-ridden in his house at Cuddalore for somemonths, it so happened that I was received in Cuddalore in the course of mytour and when my procession was going on in the town, he patted the Muttelephant. He breathed his last the same night.

His was a life lived with intense love for others without theleast reaction of fear or favour.

On tour in Trichinopoly District in 1923, I halted at a villagewhen I heard a girl of about 12 admonishing her younger brother for his havinguttered an untruth. Her advocacy of truth and her love for her brother whichprompted her to see that he was not spoiled, far surpassed a saint's direction.I cannot forget this incident after the lapse of so many years.

When touring in Kerala, I happened to camp in a public haltingplace where in one room some elderly Namboodri Brahmins were talking together.One of them opened his Puja box in order to begin his Puja, but, nevertheless,took part in the gossip. After some time he realized his mistake the turned hisattention to the Puja, but would up the box and exclaimed that owing to hishaving taken part in the gossip, his inner efforts to secure the mentalequilibrium required for God's Puja had failed and rather than making a show ofPuja without inner equilibrium, he would not perform the Puja that day.

This incident which is fresh in my memory spells the need forhonesty of purpose in one's own religious pursuits.

In 1929, I met a Sannyasi in a border village of North Arcot. Heknew neither Tamil nor Telugu. He knew only Marathi and Hindi. He told us thathe traveled to Rameswaram by Mail and lost his danda during the journey. Heprobably fasted till the taking of a new danda. He was duly given a consecrateddanda. From that time he regarded me as his guru, because I saved his AsramaDharma. He was then more than 80 years old. He refused to leave me till 1954when he attained siddhi.

Soon after he joined us during the Chaturmasya of 1929, I waslaid up with malaria fever for bout 40 days. Till then none was in the habit oftouching me. But then I was not able to stand or walk without help. This oldman, being a Sannyasi, took upon himself the duty of helping me.

He was a very hot-tempered man. His voice was authoritative. Hewas dread to all in the vicinity. He had been in the Revenue Department in theDewas State in Central India. Neither Nanasaheb nor Jhansi Rani Could completewith him in his authoritativeness.

Contd..../4

--: 5 :--

On no day would he fail to do Puja to my feet and none would deter him from his purpose. Tears would roll down his cheek during this Puja.
Once in Kanchi, a relative of his, who had been on yatra, came to me and after talking to him returned to me and took me to task. He expressed wonder how I could be so cold without the least reciprocity towards one, nearing the 100th year, who regarded me as his sole spiritual refuge high above any God. My natural superficiality did not react even to this admonition. Once we had been to Tirupati. The aged Swami was then in our camp. I went up the hill to worship Balaji. Just as I was returning from the temple after Balaji darsan, the aged Sannyasi who had managed to arrive at the top of the hill confronted us. The temple authorities, in deference to his old age, Asrama and connection with out Mutt, offered to arrange for his darsan of Balaji. he fell at my feet and exclaimed: "This is Balaji. Pardon me. I cannot accept your offer". He returned without Balaji's darsan.

I came into contact with two other persons, both of them quite in contrast with this old man. They were not acquainted with each other and were removed by 30 years of time; but they thought and acted on the same lines.

They were full of ecstasy in the adoration of my feet, absorbed in thought of me all day and night, which, they told me, gave them immeasurable strength to bear any calamity or temptation very lightly. But when they came to know of my shortcomings and natural unsteadiness, not only did they discontinue their worship of my feet but also did their best to prevent anyone from gaining access to my feet as they thought that adoration of my feet by devotees contributed in a degree to my limitation. They too renounced all other responsibilities of their life and resolved to spend the rest of their life in either entreating and imploring me or being engaged in austerities and prayers for my correction. Life has taught me only this. "God has created some souls to live for others only."

Source:
kamakoti.org

பெரியவாசரணம்

Sri Maha Periyava on Significance of Vada Mala Aradhana for Sri Anjaneya Swamy

Yatra Yatra Raghunaatha-Keertanam Tatra Tatra Krita-Mastaka-Anjalim
Vaashpa-Vaari-Paripurna-Lochanam Maarutim Namata Raakshasa-Antakam ||

Wherever the Glories of Sri Rama are sung, at all such places, with hands held over his bowed head in salutation, and eyes filled with tears of devotion and joy, Maruti (Bhakta Hanuman) is present; He puts an end to our sorrows and fear of demons.

Once a person hailing from North India was among the many who came to have darshan of Paramacharya of Kanchi Mutt. He was seen in hesitancy and Maha Periyava encouraged him to ask his doubt.

The Northerner cleared his throat and said that Anjaneya Swamy is worshipped all over India but he was not able to understand why in South the people adorn Anjaneya with 'Vada-mala' made of urad dal mixed with pepper where as in North India they do it with sweet Jangiri. He also added that he had not received a convincing answer from anybody so far.

Paramacharya was pleased to talk about Hanuman. He began to explain first that children when they make some fuss to eat, the mother coaxes them to see the Moon outside and the child enjoys seeing the bright Moon and the cool breeze outside and finishes eating. Similarly, when Hanuman was a child, he took a liking to look at the Sun blazing in the Sky. He did not stop with that. He went on to catch the Sun with his hand.

At the same time, 'Rahu Devata' was also racing to catch the Sun God to eclipse the Sun. In the race between Hanuman and Rahu, Hanuman, being the son of Vayu, the Wind God (Vayuputra) won with ease. In appreciation of Hanuman's valour, Rahu Deva sanctioned a boon that whoever worshipped Hanumanji with a food item made out of urad dal, would get relieved from 'Rahu Dosha' and that Rahu Graha would not trouble them anymore. Further, the item offered to Hanumanji had to be made in the form of a garland or bent like a serpent which is how 'Rahu God' appears. Rahu also admitted that urad dal was his favourite item and the food item prepared with urad dal was to his immense liking.

Paramacharya, having explained the significance of Vada Mala Aradhana to Anjaneya Swamy went on to bring out the background for the differences in the culture between the people in the South and North. South India is famous for salt cultivation as North is for sugarcane. Vada is a food item made out of urad dal with salt and pepper added for improving its taste. So people in the South offer Vada Mala Aradhana to Anjaneya Swamy.

But the Northerners prefer sweet to salt. However, Jangiri is made mainly out of urad dal which satisfies the condition imposed by Rahu Devata. Sugarcane grows in plenty only in the North. Hence the people there have developed it as a custom to worship Anjaneya Swamy with a garland of Jangiris.

The mass of people who had gathered to listen to Paramacharya went rapturous and fell at the feet of the Jagadguru.

ஸ்ரீ குருப்யோ நமஹ

பெரியவாசரணம்

Gems from Deivathin Kural-Karma Margam- Samsare Kim Saaram? (Essence of Life)

‘Samsare Kim Saaram’

‘What is the essence of life in this world?’ asks Sri Adi San
kara in his ‘Prashnottara Malika’. He asks ‘kim samsare saaram?’ (samsare – in this world; kim – what; saaram – is the essence). He also replies: “Child! You have now asked this question. Keep asking yourself this question always. That is the real meaning of this worldly life”.

“bahushaha api vichintyamaanam idham eva”.

We have to regularly question ourselves ‘What is the use of us having been born? Why were we born?” We should reflect whether we will attain the purpose of our birth. We typically wonder: ‘Why do we accumulate sin? Why do we get angry? Why do we desire things? Why do we have to go through these? Why are we not happy and joyful always?’ We are not able find answers to these questions.

Whatever happens is for good. In a tree, the fruit evolves from the flower. The flower is fragrant and the fruit is tasty. The fruit is also sweet. But before it attained this sweetness, how was it? As a flower it was bitter, astringent when it just formed, sour when unripe and sweet when fully ripe. Sweetness can be compared to peace. When there is peace, all attachments leave us. When the fruit is fully ripe, it leaves the tree and falls down. Likewise, if the human mind is filled with sweetness, then all attachments go away. Till the fruit is sour, it is attached to the tree. If we pluck the unripe fruit, water oozes out from the stalk of the fruit and also from the tree. We may conclude that the tree and the unripe fruit are not willing to be separated from each other. But when the fruit ripens and is filled with sweetness, the attachment to the tree goes away. The ripe fruit falls down on its own. The tree and the fruit overcome their attachment for each other. Neither of them sheds tears – no water oozes! They part with each other happily. When a person gradually evolves, his heart is finally filled with love and he gets detached from the worldly bonds. (Samsara Vriksham). The fruit goes through the phases of being astringent in the beginning and then sour. Maybe the human life too needs the initial phases of going through desires and nonstop activities.

Initially when we are under the influence of these emotions, we will not be able to detach ourselves from them. But we should frequently question ourselves as to why we are going through these emotions. ‘I go through these emotions like desire, anger, ego, falsehood etc. Are these of any use to me? Are they necessary or unnecessary?’ If we do not question ourselves, these emotions will dupe us and we will become the victims (of these emotions).

When it is time for astringency, one should be astringent; when it is time to be sour, one should be sour.

The fruit does not stagnate at the initial stages. It continues to evolve into a ripe fruit. We too should regularly contemplate on peace and love. If we do this, we need not go in search of Moksha (Liberation). If we go through the initial stages systematically, the final sweet stage of Moksha will come on its own. If we attempt to forcibly do things at the inappropriate time, it is like the fruit trying to get ripe in the initial stage itself. There will be no sweetness in it (and the fruit itself will be of no use).

It is wrong to remain indifferent to the happenings around us. But this is the state we are in now. At the same time, it is of no use getting anxious and angry in trying to realize the Ultimate Knowledge (Parama Gnanam) immediately, since this will be realized only after we have paid back for all the sins accumulated in our previous births.

We need not go in search of the Parama Gnanam now itself. Let us continue to do our duties with the hope that the Parama Gnanam will come to us at least after a few more births, even if not in this birth itself. Let us follow the path of dharma as prescribed in the Vedas. If we do this, gradually the Parama Gnanam will have to come to us. Now we are aware only of the outward tasks and outward acts. So, let us start with the application of external symbols and performance of outward rituals. Gradually we will evolve from rawness to ripeness. This ripeness will be the reality within us.

Source: mahaperiyavaa.blog

ஸ்ரீ குருப்யோ நமஹ

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

யானைக்கு பிடித்த மதம்

""கஜேந்த்ரா! என்ன இது போக்கிரித்தனம்? பேசாமப் போய் படு!""

செம்மங்குடியில் பட்டாமணியார் வீட்டில் பூஜை. மடத்தின் ஸ்ரீகார்யம்,ஸ்வாமி அபிஷேகத்துக்காக பட்டத்துயானை மேல் ஒரு வெள்ளிக்குடத்தில், செம்மங்குடி ஆற்றிலிருந்து தீர்த்தம் கொண்டு வந்தார். பட்டாமணியார் வீட்டுவாசலுக்கு வந்ததோ இல்லையோ, யானைக்கு மதம் பிடித்துவிட்டது!

நல்லவேளை, ஸ்ரீகார்யம் வெள்ளிக்குடத்தோடு கீழே குதித்து வீட்டுக்குள் சென்றுவிட்டார். யானைப்பாகனோ, உயிர் பிழைத்தால் போதும் என்று எங்கேயோ ஓடிவிட்டான்! ஒரே அமளிதுமளி! தெருவில் உள்ளவர்கள் அத்தனை பேரும் கிடைத்த வீட்டுக்குள் புகுந்து கொண்டு கதவை சாத்திக் கொண்டு, ஜன்னல் வழியாக கிலியோடு பார்த்துக் கொண்டிருந்தார்கள்.

யானை, கிழக்குக்கோடியிலிருந்து மேற்குக் கோடிவரை கன்னாபின்னாவென்று ஓடி, அட்டஹாசம் பண்ணிக் கொண்டிருந்தது! ஒரே பிளிறல்! பெரியவாளை வரவேற்க போட்டிருந்த பந்தக்கால்கள், தூண்கள், திண்ணையில் போட்டிருந்த தட்டிகள் எல்லாவற்றையும் அடித்து இழுத்து த்வம்ஸம் பண்ணிக் கொண்டிருந்தது! உள்ளே ஓடிய ஸ்ரீகார்யம் பெரியவாளிடம் "யானைக்கு மதம் பிடிச்சுடுத்து!......பெரியவா" மேல்மூச்சு கீழ்மூச்சு வாங்கக் கூறினார். குடத்தோடு கீழே குதித்த பயம் இன்னும் போகவில்லை. தெருவில் ஈ காக்காய் இல்லை. யானை மட்டும் இங்கே அங்கே ஓடிக் கொண்டிருந்தது.

இதோ.........கஜேந்த்ரவரதனாக வீட்டுக்குள்ளிருந்து வெளியே வந்தார் பெரியவா கையில் நம் எல்லாருடைய மதத்தையும் அடக்கவல்ல தண்டத்தோடு! தன்னந்தனியாக மதம் கொண்ட யானையின் எதிரே போய் நின்றார்!

"கஜேந்த்ரா! என்ன இது போக்கிரித்தனம்? பேசாமப் போய் படு!" தெய்வத்தின் குரல், நம் போன்ற ஆறறிவு, பகுத்தறிவு என்று பீற்றிக்கொள்ளும் மானிட ஜாதியை விட, ஐந்தறிவு, ஏன்? அறிவேயில்லாத அசேதன வஸ்துக்களுக்கு கூட உள்ளே சென்று வேலை செய்யும் தெய்வத்தின் குரல்..ஓங்கி ஓலித்தது!

இதோ ஐந்தறிவு ஜீவனாக, ப்ரம்மாண்டமாக அட்டஹாசம் பண்ணிக் கொண்டிருந்த யானை, பூஞ்சை மேனியரைக் கண்டதும் கட்டிப்போட்ட பசு மாதிரி வடக்குப்பக்கம் தலையும், தெற்குப்பக்கம் வாலும் வைத்து, தெருவையே அடைத்துக் கொண்டு பெரிய மூட்டை போல் மஹா சாதுவாகப் படுத்துக் கொண்டது! ஜன்னல், மேல்மாடிகளில் இருந்து இந்த கண்கொள்ளாக் காட்சியை, அதிசயத்தை அன்று கண்டு களித்த பாக்யவான்கள் ஏராளம்!

வாசலில் இருந்து கஜேந்த்ரவரதனை பார்த்துக் கொடிருந்த ஸ்ரீகார்யத்தை அழைத்து, "கல்பூரம், சாம்ப்ராணி,வாழைப்பழம், பூ.....எல்லாம் ஒடனே கொண்டா" எட்ட இருந்தே பெரியவா சொன்னதை குறித்துக் கொண்ட ஸ்ரீகார்யம், அவர் கேட்டதை ஒரு மூங்கில் தட்டில் வைத்து, யானையின் மேல் உள்ள பயத்தால், திண்ணையிலேயே வைத்து விட்டுப் போய்விட்டார்.

பெரியவா தானே அந்த மூங்கில் தட்டை கொண்டுவந்து, ஒருமணிநேரம் முன்பு தெருவையே பிய்த்துப் போட்டுவிட்டு, இப்போது சமத்து சக்கரைக்கட்டியாக வாலை சுருட்டி, உடலைக் குறுக்கி, காதைக் காதை ஆட்டிக் கொண்டிருந்த யானைக்கு கஜபூஜை பண்ணி, பூ சாத்தி, கல்பூரம் ஏற்றி சாம்ப்ராணி காட்டி விட்டு, வாழைப்பழத்தை தன் திருக்கரங்களால் அதன் வாய்க்குள் குடுத்தார். "எழுந்து போ! இனிமே விஷமம் கிஷமம் பண்ணாதே!" என்றதும், அந்த பெரிய சர்க்கரை மலை மெல்ல எழுந்து அடக்க ஒடுக்கமாக, அந்த இத்தனூண்டு தெருவில் கால்வாசி இடம் விட்டு ஒரு ஓரமாக நின்றது.

நமது மனமும் இப்படி யானை மாதிரி மதம் பிடித்து சில சமயங்களில் கண் மண் தெரியாது ஓடிக்கொண்டிருக்கும்.

யானையை அடக்கிய காஞ்சி மாமுனிவர் திருவடிகளைப் பற்றிக் கொண்டோமேயானால், மதம் தானாக அடங்கி, மனம் குழந்தையாகிவிடும். அவர் சரணங்களைத் தவிர நமக்குப் புகலிடம் ஏது?

Courtesy: Siva Sankaran/ Brahmana Sangam/Brahmins Association/Face book

ஸ்ரீ குருப்யோ நமஹ

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: A fruit of wisdom

When Maha Periyava was at Kanchipuram, He was in kastha mauna (silence) for several months at a stretch. Devotees could obtain Periyava's darshan, but could not hear His voice.

It was during this period that a certain Chettiar came for darshan. He was like Pusalar Nayanar and had cultivated devotion to Maha Periyava having heard so much about him being described as ‘The Walking God' and 'The God who speaks'. When he saw Periyava sitting silently, he thought to himself, ‘‘The God who speaks’ has become a ‘God of silence’ now! Periyava need not speak to me. But He could speak to some great scholar or an attendant of the SriMatham, with someone… anyone. I can atleast hear His voice and rejoice’.

The attendants who served Maha Periyava tried in several ways to make Him speak, not intending to disturb His penance of course, but because they were moved by the disappointment and yearning of the devotees. It was at the same time that a great devotee, Tiruvetisvaranpettai Venkataramaiyer passed away. Even when this news was conveyed, Periyava did not show the slightest reaction. Not even a hint of compassion in His eyes. The attendants were very upset. What a great soul of purity Venkataramaiyer was. Atleast for his sake, Periyava could have broken His silence and given instructions or even signaled through gestures even if He did not speak! Nothing of that kind!

Brahmachari Ramakrishnan who served Maha Periyava at close quarters could not contain his disappointment. His feelings poured out into a torrent of words.

"Why are you so silent? If you stop speaking, will the earth rise a foot higher? Or will the night turn into day? Tiruvetiswaran Mama has expired. He has no children. No one knows what is to be done.

What is going to be lost if you give us some directions?"

There was not the slightest movement or reaction.

Brahmachari Ramakrishnan prostrated four times as if seeking pardon for his words and went away. Five minutes later he returned.

"A Chettiar has come. He has being doing penance to hear Periyava's voice".

Periyava smiled. It was an utterly extraordinary and the rarest of sights. The attendant broke into sweat under the sway of emotion. How many months had passed since Periyava smiled like this!
Periyava gestured to the Chettiar to come closer. Picking up a mango fruit from a plate nearby, He placed it on His chest and gestured to the attendant that the fruit be given to Chettiar. Periyava never did such things when He was in kastha mauna. But if a devotee prayed earnestly, must not the prayer be granted?

If one's resolve is broken, atonement can be made. But a devotee must not be sent away disappointed!

˜This is enough! Enough! Periyava's penance should not be disturbed. I have truly seen the Lord of Kailasha. This is enough for this birth" said the Chettiar in great joy and left.

One does not know if Brahmachari Ramakrishnan's ignorance left him or not. But one arrives at wisdom only when one ripens, so to say. That is enough.

Source: Maha Periyava Darisana Anubhavangal (in Tamil)

ஸ்ரீ குருப்யோ நமஹ

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Vaikunta Ekadasi Special- Illustrious status of Ekadasi (Gems from Deivathin Kural)
Fasting and Working

If someone asks, “There is no holiday for Ekadasi! How can we work without eating food?” I will reply to this in two ways. One: If everyone decides to observe Ekadasi Vrata and press the government with their request emphatically, the day will be declared a holiday. Second: By not eating once in fifteen days, actually, body strength will not get reduced at all. It would only be that we are bringing the weakness sentimentally fearing that we have not taken food and therefore we may not have strength, while in reality, when we free our heart from the body and remain withdrawn, we will realise that we have additional strength, happiness, etc. We will be able to work a lot more efficiently than on other days. Where there is a will there is a way. Even though the body has several defects (dhoshas), it has a very good quality. That is, it will respond to, in the way it is habituated. Therefore, it is possible to train not to feel weak to the extent of not being able to perform office work due to Ekadasi fasting. Still, since it is prescribed that everyone should spend the entire day reflecting on Bhagawan and his thoughts, all can demand and get a holiday declared.
Even if complete fasting was not observed on all Ekadasis during a year and have been taking refreshments (palagaram/tiffin) one time, complete fasting should be observed at least on one Ekadasi. It is said that Bheema could not bear hunger. As he was not able to observe the complete fasting on all Ekadasis, he requested Sage Vyasa and obtained a boon of getting the benefit of observing complete fast on all Ekadasis by observing it only on one Ekadasi. But that Ekadasi is not Vaikunta Ekadasi.

Whatever may be the situation in this country, it should be ensured that Ekadasi, the supreme among all observances of fasting, is always observed. This great righteous practice, which used to be highly regarded and followed has been robbed off its practice only during the last two or three generations. Even today, only because a couple of Madhwa old women observe the Ekadasi complete fasting, it is raining at least this much.

ஸ்ரீ குருப்யோ நமஹ

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

""உங்கள் காது நோய் குணமாகிவிட்டது. ஆபரேஷன் தேவையில்லை.”"
1978 ஏப்ரல் 13-ஆம் தேதி. மறுநாள் தமிழ் வருஷப் பிறப்பு. அன்றைய தினம் விடியற்காலையிலேயே பெரியவாளை தரிசித்துவிட வேண்டும் என்று உத்வேகம். முதல்நாளே தேனம்பாக்கம் சென்று, கிடைத்த இடத்தில் படுத்துக் கொண்டோம். முதலில் கண் விழிப்பவர், மற்றவர்களை எழுப்பிவிட வேண்டும் என்று ஒப்பந்தம்.

காலை மணி மூன்று முப்பது.

மின்சாரம் பாய்ந்தது போல் உடலில் ஓர் ஓட்டம்.

சட்டென்று கண்விழித்து எழுந்தோம்.

எதிரே, மஹாஸ்வாமிகள்! விபூதி, ருத்ராட்சம்.. மங்கிய விளக்கொளியில் காஷாயம் பளபளக்கிறது. யாருக்கும், பக்கத்தில் இருப்பவர் யார் என்று தெரியவில்லை; கண்ணில் படவில்லை. ஒரே ஒருவரை, அருட்புன்னகையுடன் நிற்கும் பரமேஸ்வரனை மட்டுமே கண்கொட்டாமல் பார்த்துக் கொண்டிருந்தோம். ஹரிக்கேன் விளக்கொளி வழிகாட்ட, பெரியவாள் வெளியே வந்து நடக்கத் தொடங்கினார்கள். முந்தைய இரவு அவ்வளவு பேசிய அவர், இப்போது மௌனம். நாற்பது பேர் பின் தொடர்ந்து சென்றோம்.

வரதராஜர் கோயில் தெற்கு வாசல் வந்ததும், விஷ்ணு ஸஹஸ்ரநாமம் சொல்லிக்கொண்டே, நான்கு மாடவீதிகளிலும் வலம் வந்தோம். வரும் வழியில் சாலையின் நடுவில், சாக்கடை நீர் ஓடிக் கொண்டிருந்தது. “பெரியவா எப்படிக் கடந்து செல்வார்கள்?” என்று நாங்கள் சிந்தித்துக் கொண்டிருந்தபோதே, பெரியவாள் ஒரே தாண்டாகத் தாண்டி சென்றார்கள்! (அனுமான் அம்சமும் இருக்குமோ?)

பிறகு தேனம்பாக்கம் திரும்பினோம். காமாட்சியை தரிசித்துவிட்டு, ஊர் திரும்பினோம். அந்த ஆண்டு முழுவதும், எனக்கு எல்லாத் துறைகளிலும் முன்னேற்றம்தான்.

1985-ஆம் ஆண்டு எனக்குக் காதில் வலி ஏற்பட்டு, எந்த வைத்தியத்துக்கும் கட்டுப்படாமல் போய், பெரிய ஆபரேஷன் செய்யவேண்டிய நிலை ஏற்பட்டு விட்டது.

பெரியவாளை தரிசனம் செய்யாமல், எப்படி ஆபரேஷனுக்குச் சம்மதிக்க முடியும்?

எண்கணிதத்தின்படி, என் பகை எண், ஏழு.

பெரியவாளுக்கு சமர்ப்பிக்க ஏழு ஆரஞ்சுப் பழங்களும் வில்வமாலையும் வாங்கிச் சென்றேன். பிற்பகல் இரண்டு மணி. பெரியவாள் மேனாவில் சாய்ந்து கொண்டிருந்தார்கள். பொதுப்படையாகச் சில கேள்விகளைக் கேட்டுக்கொண்டே, ஆரஞ்சுப் பழங்களை உரித்து உரித்து வைத்தார்கள். (என் தீவினைகளைத் தோலுரித்து விட்டார்கள் என்பதைப் பின்னால் புரிந்து கொண்டேன்).

ஆபரேஷனுக்கு முதல் நாள் மருத்துவமனைக்குச் சென்றேன். டாக்டர் என்னை நன்றாகப் பரிசோதித்தார்.

“உண்மையைச் சொல்லுங்கள். நான் கொடுத்த மருந்துகளைத் தவிர, வேறு எந்த மருந்துகளை உபயோகப்படுத்தினீர்கள்? வேறு எந்த டாக்டரிடம் போனீர்கள்?” என்று கேட்டார்.

“நான் வேறு எந்த டாக்டரிடமும் போகவில்லை; எந்த மருந்தும் போடவில்லை”.

“பயப்படாமல் சொல்லுங்கள். அந்த டாக்டர் கொடுத்த மருந்துகள் ரொம்ப effective-ஆக இருக்கின்றன. நான் அதைத் தெரிந்து கொண்டால், மற்றவர்களுக்கும் எழுதிக் கொடுப்பேனில்லையா?”
“டாக்டர்! உண்மையைத்தான் சொல்கிறேன். இரண்டு நாள் முன்னர் காஞ்சிபுரம் சென்று மஹாஸ்வாமிகளைத் தரிசித்து, பிரார்த்தித்துக் கொண்டேன். அவ்வளவுதான்.”

டாக்டரின் கண்களில் கண்ணீர் நிறைந்தது.

“உங்கள் காது நோய் குணமாகிவிட்டது. ஆபரேஷன் தேவையில்லை.”
வீட்டுக்கு வந்ததும், மனைவி – குழந்தைகளுக்கு ஏற்பட்ட ஆனந்தத்தை விளக்க வார்த்தைகளே இல்லை.

ஸ்ரீ குருப்யோ நமஹ

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: Memorable moments with Divinity
I had looked forward to the day when I could have the privilege of a brief glimpse of the Paramacharya of Kanchi at least from a distance. At last that day came in 1963. I was at Madurai on holiday.

It so happened that the Paramacharya had been camping at Narayanapuram outside the city. One July morning I decided to take a chance at the Matham. I wrote my local address on the visiting card and gave it to one of the aides who immediately sent it for the Mahaswami’s attention. No reaction. I sat in a corner resignedly prepared for a long wait.

After a couple of hours, Paramacharya came out to perform “Go Puja”. Through I was within His sight, He did not take notice of me. Since it was time for His other rituals, He disappeared into solitude of His private retreat.

Hours passed. No response from Him till 7pm. I was told not to wait any longer, because it was time for Mahaswami’s evening puja after which He would retire for the day.

This went on for five long frustrating days. But I would not give up. The longer I had to wait, the stronger was my resolve to have an audience with Him. At last on the sixth day, at about 1pm I received word from the Matham that “Periyava” would like to see me.

I rushed to the Matham without a minute’s delay. But no, it was not that easy. I was told to wait. After four hours, Paramacharya agreed to see me.

The moment of ecstasy had arrived. I was face to face with divinity in flesh and blood. I was immediately reminded of what Arthur Koestler, a tough, intellectually arrogant atheist and iconoclast said about the Paramacharya.

After an audience with him, the controversial author of the irreverent book on India and Japan, “The Lotus and the Robot”, said in effect that if God exists, here He is!

Receiving me with the sort of smile one sees only on the bronze icons of deities, the sort of smile about which Koestler said: “If ever Jesus smiled, he must have smiled like this great Hindu saint”, the Paramacharya began comfortingly: “Did you have to wait too long? I was only testing the strength of your faith. Now relax. Before you ask about me, I must ask about you.

His questions reflecting his transparent, fatherly concern focussed on my family background, early life, my main interests, details of my professional career, my health problems, if any, my life in Bombay, and the like. He was now in a communicative mode, which prompted me to share my ten-page questionnaire with Him.

After a casual glance at the questionnaire, He returned it to me saying, “Read out the questions first, before I react to them. After you have finished, I’ll try to answer one by one. No hurry, we can go through the exercise at leisure. The real reason for my making you wait for nearly six days was my selfish desire to spend a sufficiently long time with you for a meaningful, mutually beneficial discussion. Now you ask and I answer. Let us settle for a long, unhurried tete-a-tete as the French might say.”

Our two-day long discussions that covered a wide range of areas as divergent as Aristotle and Adi Shankara at one extreme and astrophysics and Atharvaveda at the other, were spread over nearly ten hours, five hours each day. The venue was a most unlikely one; the store room with rats, spiders, cockroaches and lizards all over the place.

Paramacharya was sitting on the bare floor rested against a rice sack. As we were talking, the stream of bhaktas from different parts of the world and India continued and every one of them received His attention.

They spoke to Him in their respective languages in which He also seemed to feel thoroughly comfortable, handling each of these with the ease and grace of His own mother tongue, Kannada.

To my astonishment, His aides told me that He had a mastery of 17 languages.

Three weeks later. The first instalment of my two part article had just appeared in my paper. I went to the Matham with the issue. The Paramacharya’s aides had already shown him a copy.

Greeting me with an embarrassed smile, He said gently: “After reading your article I feel taller by a few inches. I wish you had not praised me so much.” I said: “It’s nothing, Your Holiness, compared to what the Western intellectuals keep saying about you.”

To which He replied: “I wish you had praised other Shankara Peethams also. You see, we have no protocol problems. We are all engaged in the same task of continuing Bhagavatpada’s mission. You could have avoided that unfavourable reference to another Matham an equally great institution set up by one of Adi Shankara’s senior disciples. I hope you do not run into rough weather because of your over enthusiasm for the Kanchi Matham.

Placing my copy of the weekly before Him, I requested Him to autograph it. Politely refusing, He said: “Sanyasis don’t sign. Narayana!”

Paramacharya made every devotee feel specially favoured. What endeared Him to His devotees was, not His stunning scholarship, which sat lightly on His frail shoulders, but His intensely humane concern and compassion beyond words and His charmingly disarming humility and transparency. He shared His erudition and wisdom with everyone around.

He could explain J.M. Keynes’ General Theory of Employment or Einstein’s Theory of Relativity as lucidly and gracefully as he would narrate a fairy tale to a tiny toddler.

Author: Shri A.S. Raman

ஸ்ரீ குருப்யோ நமஹ

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: “Don’t worry, you will pass!”

This is the divine experience of my father, Sri.V. Venkataraman with Sri Maha Periyava. He has narrated an event that happened to him when he was 11 or 12 years old, way back in 1954 or 1955.
During the summer when my father was studying 5th or 6th standard in P.S High school in Mylapore, his father (my grand father Shri. Vaidhyanathan) arranged for his son's upanayam. Since he could not do the upanayanam all by himself due to financial strain, he wanted to take his son to Kanchi Mutt, where there were arrangements made for samashti upanayanam for young boys. My father was taken to Sankara Matham in summer that year, even before appearing for his annual exams that year.

The dates of the upanayanam and exams clashed and so he could not write a few exams as he had to be in Kanchipuram for the ceremony. After all the rituals of the upanayanam were over, he was happy on one hand that he had had his bramopadesam done by Sri Maha Periyava Himself but on the other hand he was worried about repeating the same class in the school next year.

On the day when they started from the Mutt, Periyava saw my father who was looking worried and asked him what he wanted. My father only said that he wanted to pass his exam that year. Periyava blessed him saying,” Don’t worry you will pass”. My father very innocently asked him, “How will I pass? I did not write a few exams as I came here”. Sri Maha Periyava smiled at the young boy and said, “Go. You will pass”.

After a few days of his arrival at Madras, his results said that he had failed and that he must attend the same class that year. My father was very much worried and went to the school on the reopening day. What a surprise!!!! Something unbelievable happened...... During the holidays, a founder member of the school had passed away and on his death the principal had instructed the teachers not to fail any child in the school in order to pay respect to the soul that had departed. So, my father was promoted to the next class!

Can His words ever go false?

Narrated by Sudha Sridharan

ஸ்ரீ குருப்யோ நமஹ

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: Case files

This industry was a partnership business. Lot of money had been pumped in and when it became sick, one of the two partners stayed out of the day to day running of the factory. The other struggled to continue the business and somehow managed to pay the workers and keep the wheels moving. But, at a certain point, it became a court case. The man who was managing the show hired a lawyer. The lawyer and he were both devotees of Sri Maha Periyava.

The lawyer suggested that they go to Kanchi and take Periyava's blessings. But the client said he did not wish to disturb Sri Maha Periyava for such a petty materialistic thing. The lawyer was surprised and impressed and said, 'Alright, I will conduct the case. We will take His blessing only to guide us'. The client reluctantly agreed and the next morning they drove down to Kanchi. The lawyer kept the case files in the back seat and kept the door open. He said, “If Periyava's eyes fall on it, we should take it as His blessing”.

That day the Mutt was crowded and they waited near the car patiently.

Suddenly they heard the shishyas clearing the way for Periyava to come out. In a short while He came out and looking at the client and the lawyer, He walked straight to them. They both were frozen. Then He stopped, looked at the case files in the back seat and walked off as briskly as He had come. It took some time for the lawyer and the client to recover from the pleasant shock and they knew they had been blessed.

Immediately they left for their place. On reaching the house, the client was surprised to see a smiling wife. She explained that someone had come with a proposal to buy their factory. The client said, ‘but then my partner should agree for this'. She said that he had already agreed for that. Over the next few days the deal was finalised and both partners made much more money than they had expected. The client conducted a 'Athirudra Maha Homam' in his village which he knew would please Sri Maha Periyava immensely.

ஸ்ரீ குருப்யோ நமஹ

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Gems from Deivathin Kural-Bhakthi-Nature Shows Bhagawan’sPhilosophy
Nature shows God’s truth and philosophy
In the universe, different kinds of entities have different amount of strength. When we look at the nature, we findthat one entity is stronger than the other; another entity has even morestrength and this goes on.
Physically, we have some strength. Hence, we are able to liftsome weight. Cows are stronger than us and hence can lift more weight. A camelis stronger than a cow and can lift heavier items. An elephant is furtherstrong as compared to a camel and can lift very heavy items.
Let us now look at the strength of the brain. Worms have moreknowledge as compared to plants. Ants are more intelligent than worms. Goatsand cows are more knowledgeable as compared to ants. Man is cleverer than thosementioned above.
When we think and analyse in this direction, there should exista base entity that is the strongest and cleverest of all in this universe. Thatis what we call as “The God” or “Swami”.
We use our body strength and intelligence of our brain to builda house. Sparrows use their body strength and their intelligence to build anest. Isn’t there some entity that has built this entire universe through itsincomparable strength and intelligence? That is “The God”.
From the fact that the body strength and intelligence increasesfrom one entity to another in nature, we are able to derive the truth orphilosophy of “The God”.
We also see multiple “pairs of opposites” in the nature. Whenthere is bitter cold weather, there is also corresponding extreme hot weather.When there is night, there is also a corresponding day. Soft flowers also existalong with sharp thorns. Sweet taste exists along with sour taste. When thereis love, there is also hatred. Everything in nature has a correspondingopposite thing that co-exists. If we think and analyse in the same way, thereshould be something existing that is opposite to Man’s mind. What is thecharacteristic of a Man’s mind? Drown and struggle constantly in the ocean ofmaterial desires; Suffering without feeling content and satisfied. As opposedto this, there should be an entity that does not have any desire, has nosuffering, has everlasting peace and is happy and content. Such an entity is“The God” or “Swami”.
Everything keeps changing in nature. We are able to see only somechanges. The mountains and ocean, which we believe to be unchanging, also keepschanging with time. Nothing is permanent in nature. By the “pair of opposites”logic, there should be something existing that is permanent or everlasting.That is “The God” or “Swami”.
In nature, through the fact that the Strength and intelligencevaries across multiple entities and through the fact that everything keepschanging, Goddess Ambaal makes us realize that there should exist one trueAlmighty God.
We can ask, “Let it be there. Why should I worship it?” How arewe living today? We live with limitless wants and desires. However,“Paramaatmaa” or “The Almighty God” has no desires at all. With so many wantsand desires, our strength is limited. Being desire less, “The God” is the mostpowerful. We are like a big pit (hole) or are incomplete. “The God” is pure,complete, and glorious. “The Almighty God” is not only greatest in strength andintelligence but is also the best in compassion. Hence, if we meditate overhim, he fills our pit-like mind and ultimately makes us complete like him. Weare imperfect and he is perfect. Only, the ever-compassionate, glorious God iscapable of making us perfect like him. When we pray to him with devotionconstantly, he gets rid of our imperfections.
If we have some grievance, it means we want something. If we donot want anything in life, we will be perfect. When God removes our grievances,at the end, he perfects us by making us get rid of all our material desires inlife. At that time, the “high rise stage” or “The God” adds more and more goodideals to the “pit” or “incomplete man” so that the pit is filled and risesequal to the stage and ultimately becomes the same as the stage itself.

ஸ்ரீ குருப்யோ நமஹ

பெரியவா
சரணம் !!

“Massive heart attack” -
கிலிருந்து அந்த தீனபந்துவைத் தவிர யார் அவரைக் காப்பாற்றியிருக்க முடியும்?

ஆபத்பாந்தவா! ரக்ஷ! ரக்ஷ!

பெரியவாளை
பிடித்துக் கொண்டவர்கள், பிடித்துக் கொள்ளத் தெரிந்தவர்கள் உலகின் எந்த மூலையில் இருந்தாலும், அவரால் ரக்ஷிக்கப்படுகிறார்கள் என்பதை அனுபவத்தில் உணர்வார்கள்.

அஸ்ஸாமில்
உள்ள டீ எஸ்டேட்டில், பொறுப்பான பதவியில் இருந்த ஒருவர், பெரியவாளிடம் அப்படியொரு நம்பிக்கை, ப்ரேமை கொண்டவர்.

குடும்பத்தோடு அஸ்ஸாமில் இருந்தார்.

வேலையிலிருந்து
ஒய்வு பெறும் நேரம் வந்தபோது, அங்கிருந்தவர்கள் அவருக்கு, மேலும் நிறைய ஸம்பளத்தோடு வேலை தருவதாகச் சொன்னதை அப்படியே நிராகரித்தார்.

எதற்கு?

ஸம்பாதிச்ச வரை போறும். இனிமே பெரியவா காலடிலதான் என்னோட மிச்ச வாழ்நாள்.….”

இதுதான்
அவருடைய அசைக்கமுடியாத முடிவு!

யாருக்கு வரும், இந்த.. போதுமென்ற மனஸ்?

குடும்பத்தாரை
முதலில் காஞ்சிபுரத்துக்கு அனுப்பிவிட்டார். அவருக்கு இன்னும் முடித்துக் குடுக்க வேண்டிய பொறுப்புகள் கொஞ்சம் இருந்தது. அவருடைய பொறுப்பான பதவிக்காக, வீட்டில் இருக்கும் பணியாட்கள் தவிர, அவரோடு எப்போதுமே ஒரு பணியாளும் இருப்பான்.

எல்லாரும்
ஊருக்கு போன ரெண்டு மூணு நாட்களில் தன்னுடைய வேலைகளை முடித்துக் கொண்டு மறுநாள் மெட்ராஸ்ஸுக்கு புறப்பட டிக்கெட் ரிஸர்வ் செய்திருந்தார்.

முந்தின
நாள் இரவு, தன்னோடு கூட இருந்த பணியாளை அனுப்பிவிட்டார்.

இவர்
மட்டும் தன்னந்தனியாக எஸ்டேட் வீட்டில்!

நடுராத்ரி
திடீரென்று அவரால் மூச்சு விட முடியவில்லை! எழுந்து ஒரு வாய் ஜலம் குடிக்கலாம் என்றால், நெஞ்சில் ஒரு பெரிய பாறாங்கல்லை அழுத்துவது போல் சுமை!

ஆபத்பாந்தவா! அனாத ரக்ஷகா! ஆதிமூலமே!…..சந்த்ரஶேகரா!...”

தன்னுடைய தலை மாட்டில் வைத்திருந்த நம் பெரியவாளுடைய படத்தை எப்படியோ கையில் எடுத்து, நெஞ்சோடு அணைத்துக் கொண்டார்

பெரியவா…..என்னால மூச்சு விட முடியல….! நீங்கதான் எனக்கு ரக்ஷை! ….”

பெரியவா
படத்தை இறுக்கி அணைத்துக் கொண்டபடி, கண்களில் கண்ணீரோடு, தாங்கமுடியாத வலியோடு அப்படியே தூங்கிப் போனார்!

மறுநாள்
நன்றாக விடிந்ததும்தான் தூக்கம் கலைந்தது. தூங்கி எழுந்தபோது, படுக்கையிலிருந்து விழுந்த பெரியவா படத்தைப் பார்த்ததும்தான், தான் நேற்றிரவு பட்ட கஷ்டம் அவருக்கு நினைவுக்கே வந்தது.

அன்று
ஊருக்கு வேறு போக வேண்டும் என்பதால், எதற்கும் டாக்டரிடம் ஒரு நடை போய், செக்கப் பண்ணிக் கொள்ளலாம் என்று டாக்டரிடம் போனார்.

ECG
எடுத்து ரிப்போர்ட்டை பார்த்தார் டாக்டர்…..

உங்களுக்கு நேத்திக்கி night… ரொம்ப severe, massive heart attack வந்திருந்திருக்கு! நீங்க பாட்டுக்கு இப்டி ஆஸ்பத்ரிக்கு நடந்தே வந்திருக்கீங்களே? ஆஶ்சர்யமா இருக்கு! உண்மையை சொல்லணுன்னா, நீங்க இந்தmaasive attack- பிழைச்சிருக்கீங்க-ங்கறதே பெரிய விஷயம்! இப்ப, இந்த ஸெகண்ட, இங்கியே அட்மிட் ஆயிடுங்க…. ஒரு அடி கூட எடுத்து வெக்கக்கூடாது

“Massive heart attack” -
கிலிருந்து அந்த தீனபந்துவைத் தவிர யார் அவரைக் காப்பாற்றியிருக்க முடியும்?

Contd..../2

Contd....../2

பயங்கர வலி வந்ததும், இவர் நெஞ்சோடு சேர்த்துக் கட்டியணைத்துக் கொண்ட பெரியவா, அப்போவே அவரோட ஹார்ட்டை ஸரி செய்ததோடு, வலியால் அவஸ்தைப்பட்டு தன்னை அணைத்துக் கொண்ட குழந்தையை, தூங்கப்பண்ணியும் இருக்கிறார் !

பக்தருக்கு கண்ணீரை அடக்க முடியவில்லை! தெய்வத்தின், குருவின், துணையிருந்தால் வேறென்ன கவலை?
“நா… இன்னிக்கே ஊருக்குப் போயாகணும்! என்னோட தெய்வம் என்னைக் காப்பாத்தும்”
அசைக்க முடியாத நம்பிக்கையோடு, அன்றே ரிஸர்வ் பண்ணிய டிக்கெட்டில் ஊருக்குக் கிளம்பிவிட்டார்!
ஹ்ருதயத்தைத்தான் “Under ஆபத்பாந்தவன் care” என்று குடுத்தாச்சே!
ஊருக்கு வந்ததும், குடும்பத்தாரிடம் ஏன்? மனைவியிடம் கூட, எதுவுமே சொல்லவில்லை. முதலில் பெரியவாளை தர்ஶனம் பண்ண வேண்டும்!

இதோ…..ரெண்டு நாள் முன்பு தன்னைக் காப்பாற்றிய மஹா வைத்யநாதம் அங்கே அமர்ந்து தர்ஶனம் குடுத்துக் கொண்டிருந்தது!

குடும்பமாக எல்லாரும் போய் நமஸ்காரம் பண்ணியதும், இந்த பக்தரை குறுகுறுவென்று பார்த்துக் கொண்டே……

“இப்போ… ஒடம்பு எப்டியிருக்கு? தேவலையா?…”
மனைவியும் மற்றவர்களும் திகைத்துப் போனார்கள்!

“ஏன்? ஒங்க ஒடம்புக்கு என்ன?…”

பெரியவா சிரித்துக் கொண்டே…

“இனிமே ஒடம்புக்கு எதாவுது-ன்னா….பகவானை கூப்டு! போயும் போயும் என்னையா கூப்டுவா?… அன்னிக்கி ஒன்னை பகவான்தான் காப்பாத்தியிருக்கார்”….

“ஆமா…..பெரியவா…! 'என்னோட பகவான்’தான் காப்பாத்தினார்!..”

பக்தரும், கண்களில் வழியும் கண்ணீரோடு, தன் பகவானைப் பற்றிய பெருமையோடு, சிரித்துக் கொண்டே கூறினார்.

ஹ்ருதயத்தில் பீடம் போட்டு, நம் பகவானை அதில் அமர வைத்துவிட்டால் போதும்! எக்காலத்திலும் எந்த ஜன்மத்திலும் நம் பகவான் தரும் ரக்ஷை, நம்மை பிறவித் தளைகளிலிருந்து கட்டாயம் காப்பாற்றும்.

ஸ்ரீ குருப்யோ நமஹ

பெரியவா
சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: May you live like a King!

An elderly man who had fractured his leg recently was seated wearily outside Sri Matha. When Sri Maha Periyava passed by the main door, he looked out and noticed him. A devotee who had come for darshan stood near Periyava.

"Will you do me a favour?" Maha Periyava asked the devotee.

The devotee was thrilled from head to foot that Periyava should say such a thing to him.

"As commanded!" his voice reflected his feelings.

"Get ‘eight annas' worth of betal leaves and grated areca nut. Give it to that elderly man seated near the door step."

The devotee went to a small shop nearby and got the betel leaves and areca nut. He held it out to the old man with the words, "Please take this, Grandpa!"

The old man's delight knew no bounds. He would not have been so happy had he given even half a kingdom. His grin betrayed the few teeth he had. "May you live like a King! May you live prosperously for a full life! May your children prosper! I was restless without betel leaves and areca nut since morning. I am not able to move around you see! Besides I have no money either. May you live like a King!"

The devotee went in to report to Sri Maha Periyava that he had fulfilled the command.

"What did the old man say?"

"He was very happy. He appreciated the timely offer and blessed me profusely".

"Did he say, "May you live like a King!"

"Yes"

"Look, what a blessing you have got!? Sri Maha Periyava moved away as He spoke. But the devotee could not understand how Periyava knew the yearning of the old man from just a passing glance at him in half a moment.
Source: Maha Periyaval Darisana Anubhavangal (in Tamil)

ஸ்ரீ குருப்யோ நமஹ

பெரியவா
சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: A subtle truth in the gunny bag

The camp of SriMatham was in Karvet Nagar. A family that had come by car from Chennai, planned to return that evening.
Everything was ready. As soon as they received Sri Maha Periyava’s command to leave, they could start at once.
Sri Maha Periyava was seated under a vilva tree. Sabesan’s family prostrated and waited for Periyava’s prasadam. They got it. Sabesan turned to move towards the car. A click of the fingers! Sabesan came back eagerly. A heap of small, broken granite stones lay in a pile at a distance. Periyava pointed to it and said, ‘Put some of these in a gunny sack, tie it up and take it home”.

Everyone was taken aback. Why carry broken granite stones from Karvet Nagar to Chennai? What was unique about these stones? One could not ask for Periyava’s explanations. So Sabesan took a small pile of broken granite stones in a gunny sack, tied it up and put the bundle in the dicky of the car before he left.

The Puttur road was lined on both sides with a rocky terrain. At night, four or five men stood in the middle of the road and stopped the car. It was clear that they were highway men. They hustled everyone out of the car and searched inside the vehicle. Not a box was to be found. In a fury they opened the dicky. The bundle was there.

“Hey! It’s here!” shouted one of them.

Another tried to pick up the sack. He could not. It was heavy. Together the men took it out of the dicky and hurled it down.

They said, “Go on, go on” urging Sabesan and his family to leave at once. Sabesan drove the car at top speed not stopping anywhere until they reached a village where he halted to breathe once more.

“I was terrified. I was sure that they would ask us to remove our jewels,” said his wife.

“Luckily for us they did not tie us all up,” said his son.

“Thank God they did not smash our car,” said his daughter.

Sabesan turned in the direction of Karvet Nagar and raised his hands in salutation.

The highway men had made a false assumption that there was plenty of money in the heavy sack and so did not care to pay attention to other ordinary gains. Two days later Sabesan came back alone for Periyava’s darshan and submitted the episode to Periyava with wonder and devotion.

“The Lord has saved you,” said Periyava.

True. But Sabesan knew the Lord who saved him. From then on, he never looked at broken granite stones as something insignificant.

Source: Maha Periyaval Darisana Anubhavangal - Volume 1

ஸ்ரீ குருப்யோ நமஹ

பெரியவா
சரணம் !!

Gems from Deivathin Kural-Bhakthi-Ishta Devatha (Favorite form of God)

Ishta Devatha – Favorite Form of God

People have different kinds of mindset. In order to attract people with each kind of mindset, make them show devotion, cleanse their mind and make them concentrate only on the God, “Paramaathma” or the Almighty Bhagawan comes in different forms.

“Hindus have how many crores of Gods”, says people from other religions and they make fun of us. The truth is that none of the Hindus, who know about Sanathana Dharma, believe that there is more than one God. The Vedic religion or
“Vaidhiga Madham” not only discovered that there is only one God; it has also discovered something that other religions do not know – Our soul or “Jeevan” is also the same God. Hence there is no doubt for any Hindu, who knows Sanathana Dharma, that the business of this universe is conducted by the one and only Almighty God. However, the God can take different forms due to his capability and compassionate nature, as believed by the Hindu person.

The same God has appeared before Great Saints and Great Personalities in different forms. Those great personalities have given us the method and prayers or sacred message (“mantra”) to attain God by worshipping him in those forms. If we follow the same method and chant the prayers with devotion (without any deviation from prescribed method), we are sure to be blessed by those specific forms of the God. Be it any form, at the end it is the same Almighty God. Hence, if we completely trust and show selfless and pure devotion to any specific form of God, it will truly relieve us from all the worldly desires and bonds. Before our mind is tamed and ready to be freed from worldly desires, it even blesses us to achieve some worldly desires.

According to each person’s mindset, in order to hold on to and show devotion, different forms of God exists. If a person’s mindset is such that he needs God to show love and affection to him just like a mother would to her child, there is worship of Goddess Ambal. If a person needs to be in complete peace, there is worship of Lord Dakshinamoorthy. Worship of Lord Krishna is there for those who want to happily sing and dance and show their devotion.

Instead of forcing someone to imagine and realize an essence of reality (“tathvam”), whether they like it or not to attain the Almighty God, our religion shows the way to idolize the Almighty God, to convert the essence of reality into a soulful and loving form that we like and show devotion – worship of the Favorite Form of God (“Ishta Dhevadhai”). If we need to show pure love and sincere devotion, the corresponding form of God needs to be something that we like a lot and fits our mindset. This is the reason, our religion gives freedom to worship a Favorite Form of God. Even if we initially think, “Something that fits my mindset”, and follow a Favorite Form of God, our sincere devotion towards that idol will finally lead us to think “Why should I have a separate mindset?” as blessed by our Favorite form of God. We will then be able to see everything as the one and only Almighty God.

Contd...../2

Contd....../2

Also, the people worshipping one form of God should not think low of other forms of God. We should realize that, just like how God blesses us in our favorite form, he will also bless others in their favorite form. People can ask, “If we look at the history (“Puraanaa”) of each form of God, it states that only a specific form is the most powerful. Rest of the forms are under it. The other forms have worshipped and have been defeated by the all-powerful form”. This is called “Nahi Nintha” rule. The motive of the upanyasakas (one who tells Bhagawan leelas) is not to bring down the importance of other forms of God. Their reasoning was to ensure that people worshipping a particular form of God should not be distracted by other forms and develop devotion and concentration only on the specific form of God. Hence, more importance has been given to one form of God over the others.

Great Personalities have always considered all forms of God to be equally powerful. Great Poet Kalidhaas and Paana have clearly stated without any doubt that there is only one God that appears in different forms.

Just like how there are different forms of God based on different mindsets of people, there are different forms based on various jobs conducted by the God in the universe. When the universe is created with passion (Rajas), God takes the form of Lord Brahma, when the universe is protected with goodness and peace (Sathva), God takes the form of Lord MahaVishnu, when destroyed due to tendency to disintegrate (Thamas), God takes the form of Lord Rudhra. These are specified as three different forms of the same Almighty God by both Paana and Kaalidhaas. The same is applicable for all the 33 crore forms of God.

Hence, saying that my God is more powerful and your God is below mine and fighting with each other makes no sense.

However, though there are different forms of God in our country, the most common ones are Saivaites and Vaishnavaites who fight a lot amongst themselves. If we think and analyze properly, let us understand and realize that Lord Shiva and Lord Vishnu (Forms worshipped by these two types – Saivaites and Vaishnavites respectively) are one and the same**.
** In this context, please refer to subsequent sections and corresponding chapters “No difference between Shiva and Vishnu” (“Shiva Vishnu Abedham”), “Hari and Shiva are the same” (“Hariyum Sivanum onnu”), “Shiva is everywhere” (“Sivamayam”), “Vishnu is everywhere in the universe” (“Sarvam Vishnumayam Jagath”), “Do not forget Aran (Shivan)” (“Aranai maravel”), “Be a slave to Lord Vishnu” (“Thirumaalukku Adimai sei”), “In the morning worship Lord Vishnu, In the evening worship Lord Shiva” (“Kaalaiyil Thirumaal, maalaiyil Mahaadevan”), “Unity shown by Great and important places of worship” (“Ottrumai unarthum utthama thalangal”), “Two Kings” (“Irandu Raajaakkal”), “Who is God.. Reply by Sri Adhi Shankara” (“Bhagavaan yaar.. Bhagavad paadhar badhil”).

ஸ்ரீ குருப்யோ நமஹ

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

தேடி வந்து துயர் தீர்த்த தெய்வம் – சாட்சியாய் காவிரிக்கரை ப்ரஸன்ன மஹாகணபதி !!

திருவையாறு க்ஷேத்ரத்தில் காவிரி, குடமுருட்டி, வடவாறு, வெண்ணாறு, வெட்டாறு என்ற ஐந்து நதிகள் பாய்வதால், திருவையாறு என்று பெயர் பெற்றது. 1942 ல் நடுக்காவேரியில் வசித்து வந்தது சின்னஸ்வாமி ஐயரின் குடும்பம். இறை பக்தி, ஆசார அனுஷ்டானங்கள், எல்லாவற்றுக்கும் மேலே பெரியவாளிடம் அப்படி ஒரு ஆத்மார்த்தமான பக்தி! திருவையாறு வரும்போதெல்லாம் பெரியவா இவருடைய க்ருஹத்துக்கு கட்டாயம் வருவார்.

சின்னஸ்வாமி ஐயர் நித்யம் வீட்டில் சிவபூஜை, அப்புறம் உள்ளூரில் இருக்கும் சிவன் கோவிலுக்கு சென்று பரமேஸ்வரனை மனமுருகி வழிபடுவார். சாயங்கால வேளைகளில் இராமாயண உபன்யாசம் செய்வார். இவருடைய பிள்ளை நாட்டுப்பெண் பெயர் பொருத்தம் வெகு அழகாக ராமச்சந்திரன், ஸீதாலக்ஷ்மி என்று அமைந்தது. மனமொத்த குடும்பமாக இருந்தாலும், கல்யாணமாகி 13 வர்ஷங்கள் ஆகியும் ஸந்தானப்ராப்தி இல்லையே என்ற குறை எல்லார் மனசையும் அரித்துக் கொண்டிருந்தது.

முதலில் பிறந்த குழந்தை தங்கவில்லை. நிச்சயம் பெரியவா அனுக்ரகத்தால் தங்களுக்கு குழந்தை பிறக்கும் என்ற நம்பிக்கை மட்டும் அவர்களுக்கு துளியும் குறையவில்லை.

அப்போது பெரியவா நடுக்காவேரிக்கு விஜயம் செய்தார். அங்கு வேறொரு பக்தர் க்ருஹத்தில் பெரியவா தங்க ஏற்பாடு செய்யப்பட்டு இருந்தது. வேதகோஷம் முழங்க பூர்ணகும்பங்கள் ஒவ்வொரு வீட்டு வாசலிலும் வைக்கப்பட்டு பெரியவா ஒவ்வொரு வீட்டு வாசலிலும் நின்று ஆசிர்வாதம் பண்ணிக்கொண்டிருந்தார். ஸீதாலக்ஷ்மி வீட்டு வாசலில் அழகாக கோலமிட்டுக் கொண்டிருந்தாள். இவர்கள் வீட்டைத் தாண்டித்தான் பெரியவா தங்கப்போகும் வீட்டுக்கு செல்ல வேண்டும்.

ஸீதாலக்ஷ்மியை பார்த்ததும், ஊர்வலத்திலிருந்து விலகி விறுவிறுவென்று அவள் போட்டிருந்த மாக் கோலத்தின் மேல் திருப்பாதங்கள் பதிந்தும் பதியாமலும் நின்றார்.

திடீரென்று தன் எதிரில் வந்து நின்ற கண்கண்ட தெய்வத்தை கண்டதும், சந்தோஷம், பக்தி, குழந்தை இல்லா ஏக்கம் எல்லாம் சேர்ந்து அப்படியே அவர் பாதங்களில் விழுந்து கேவிக்கேவி அழ ஆரம்பித்தாள்.

“எந்திரு..சீதே…ஒன்னோட ராமன் எங்க? கூப்டு அவனை..” என்றவர் யாரும் எதிர்பாராத நேரத்தில், சின்னஸ்வாமி ஐயரின் க்ருஹத்துக்குள் ப்ரவேசித்தார். ஸீதாலக்ஷ்மி தன் அகத்துக்காரர் ராமச்சந்த்ரனை தேடிக்கொண்டு ஓடினாள். முன்னறிவிப்பு ஏதுமின்றி தனது வீட்டுக்குள் சாக்ஷாத் பரமேஸ்வரனே வந்து நின்றதைக்கண்டு சின்னஸ்வாமி ஐயர் ப்ரமித்தார்! அவ்வளவுதான்! தெருவே அவர் க்ருஹத்துக்குள் கூடிவிட்டது!

பெரியவா தனக்கு ரொம்ப ஸ்வாதீனமான இடம்போல விறுவிறுவென்று நுழைந்து அங்குமிங்கும் பார்வையால் துழாவினார். பிறகு தாழ்ப்பாள் போட்டிருந்த ஒரு அறையை தானே திறந்து அதற்குள் சென்றார். அது ஜாஸ்தி பயன்படுத்தாததால், தட்டுமுட்டு சாமான்கள் நிறைய காணப்பட்டது. அதோடு ஒரு வண்டி தூசி! பெரியவா கதவைத் திறந்ததும் ஒரே புழுதிப்படலம் மேலே கிளம்பியது! தன்னுடைய ஒத்தை வஸ்த்ரத்தின் ஒரு முனையால் கீழே தூசியைத் தட்டிவிட்டு, அதையே லேசாக விரித்துக்கொண்டு தரையிலேயே அமர்ந்துவிட்டார் கருணைவள்ளல் !

“பெரியவா……இந்த ரூம் ஒரே புழுதியா இருக்கு…..கூடத்ல ஒக்காந்துக்கோங்கோளேன்!” என்றார் ஐயர். இதற்குள் ஸீதாலக்ஷ்மி கணவனுடன் வந்து பெரியவாளுக்கு நமஸ்காரம் பண்ணினாள்.

“ராமா!…..ஒடனே போயி ஒங்காத்து பசுமாட்டுலேர்ந்து பால் கறந்து ஒரு சொம்புல எடுத்துண்டு வா…போ!”

“உத்தரவு பெரியவா……” அடுத்த க்ஷணம் ஒரு சொம்பு பசும்பாலோடு பெரியவா முன் நின்றார். பெரியவா கண்களை மூடிக்கொண்டு சற்றுநேரம் அமர்ந்திருந்தார்.

பிறகு, “ராமா…..இந்தப்பாலை கொண்டுபோயி கொடமுருட்டி ஆத்துல ஊத்திடு! அப்றம் சொச்சம் இருக்கற கொஞ்சூண்டு பாலை அந்த ஆத்தோட கரைல ஊத்திடு! அந்த ஊத்தின எடத்ல இருக்கற மணலை கொஞ்சம் தோண்டு……அதுல ஒரு அஸ்திவாரம் தெரியும்…..அதுக்கு மேல பிள்ளையாருக்கு ஒரு கோவில் கட்டு. க்ஷேமமா இருப்பேள்” என்று சொல்லிவிட்டு, வஸ்த்ரத்தை எடுத்து உதறிவிட்டு வெளியே வந்து, தான் தங்க வேண்டிய க்ருஹத்தை நோக்கி நடந்தார்.

பெரியவா சொன்னபடி உடனே குடமுருட்டி ஆற்றுக்கு சென்று பாலை விட்டுவிட்டு, அதன் கரையில் மீதிப்பாலை ஊற்றி மண்ணை தோண்டினால்… அஸ்திவாரம் தெரிந்தது! உடனேயே விநாயகருக்கு ஒரு அழகான சிறிய ஆலயம் எழும்பியது! அதற்கு அடுத்த வருஷமே ஸீதாலக்ஷ்மி ஒரு அழகான ஆண் குழந்தைக்கு தாயானாள்! “கணேசன்” என்ற நாமகரணம் சூட்டப்பட்டான் அந்தக் குழந்தை.

இப்போதும் நடுக்காவிரியில் “காவிரிக்கரை ப்ரஸன்ன மஹாகணபதி” கோவிலில் உள்ள விநாயகப் பெருமான் அருள் பாலித்துக் கொண்டிருக்கிறார்.

ஸ்ரீ குருப்யோ நமஹ

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: It is Trimurti there; it is the same here too!

Though Sri Maha Periyava used to describe Himself as a samanya sanyasi (common ascetic), there are incidents wherein He displayed His svaya rupam (real self), on His own accord.

It was the time when Sri Maha Periyava was camping in Tiruvanaikkaval. I and my husband needed to have darshan of Him and return to Thanjavur. The next day was a Somavara amavasya (Monday on new moon day). We had to do pradakshina of a peepal tree in Thanjavur.

Periyava conversed with everyone who came there and bid them farewell with prasadam. But, when we did our prarthana, He would remain as if He did not hear our words; when we went in the queue, He would stop giving prasadam with the person before us, and when our turn came, would get up and go inside. He was doing such things repeatedly.

We gave up the plans of our Thanjavur trip and stayed there for the night. I was very angry within.
After the viswa rupam on the next early morning, before He sat for His one-hour japam inside the mena, He directed the karvar (manager), "After three quarters of an hour, even while I am in the japam, make arrangements to carry the mena to the banks of the Kollidam", and shut the door of the palanquin.

Thinking, 'Can't do pradakshina of the Ashwatta (peepal tree). At least let me go around Periyava', I started doing pradakshina of the mena. After it was over, the mena started. We accompanied it and took our snana (bath) in the Kollidam.

As Sri Maha Periyava sat for His anushtanam, He called me and asked, "How many pradakshinas did you do?" I said, "Ninety." There was no way Periyava could have known about my pradakshina! Then He asked me to complete the remaining count of pradakshinas.

After the pradakshina was over, He asked me, "Reciting what shloka did you do the pradakshina?"

Me: I did pradakshina, reciting 'Gurur Brahma Gurur Vishnu Gurur Devo Maheshwarah'.

Periyava: What would you recite during the Ashwatha pradakshina?

Me: 'Mulato Brahma Rupaya, Madhyato Vishnu Rupine, Agratah Siva Rupaya Vruksa Rajaya Te Namah’. *

Periyava: Then what? It is Trimurti there; it is the same here too!

With these words, He blessed me with the prasadam.

From then on, I took up the niyama (routine) to do pradakshina to Sri Maha Periyava on every Somavara amavasya.

Author: Jayalakshmi Ammal, Pollachi
Source: Maha Periyaval Darisana Anubhavangal Vol. 4

ஸ்ரீ குருப்யோ நமஹ

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: Enmity resolved
Enmity developed between two close relatives in a village on account of claims over property. The bitterness led to a case in the court. There was not the barest exchange of a civil word between the two. The defendant's son was to be married. He brought the invitation and placed it before Sri Maha Periyava.
Periyava looked at the attendant nearby and said, "Ask him if he will visit all his relatives and invite them?"
"Yes...we will visit all the relatives to invite them..."
After a minute's pause, Periyava said, "Ask him if he will visit the plaintiff also".
The gentleman hesitated for a while. "I thought that if I went there and was insulted, it would be very hurting".
"No such thing will happen. Give him the invitation in person and tell him that he must attend the wedding".
The defendant went to the complainant's house in trepidation. He recalled Periyava's words. "It is not in our culture to disrespect visitors. Everyone is essentially good”.
The complainant never dreamt that his sworn enemy would visit him at his house. When he saw the defendant, he hugged him to his bosom.
"Welcome, welcome", he said happily and accepted the invitation. "You forgot our enmity and came home to invite me! I shall certainly come to participate in the celebrations", he assured his relative.
The gentleman who had gone to give the invitation had a sudden change of heart. "Such a good man', he thought. “Why did I develop such enmity for him?"
"Brother", he said, "Let us forget about the case and the courts. Let us settle the matter amicably".
The two gentlemen raised their hands in salutation in Periyava's direction.
Source: Maha Periyaval Darisana Anubhavangal- Volume 1

ஸ்ரீ குருப்யோ நமஹ

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: Card remedy
An elderly gentleman had a paralytic stroke and lost all sensations on the right side of his body. His response to medical treatment was minimal. But he could not regain his speech and suffered from some loss of memory. His wife came to Maha Periyava for darshan and made a tearful prayer.
Periyava should be gracious. My husband must recover completely!''.
Periyava was silent for a moment.
“Will you do anything to help him recover''.
The expense does not matter.
''I did not mean that. You will not take my words lightly??
''I will not''.
''Buy two packs of playing cards and put them where he can see them throughout the day. Slowly he will recover his memory and also regain his speech''.
The lady was amazed and also at the same time found the prescription rather strange. 'How did Periyava know that her husband was addicted to playing cards? Would her husband recover if he were to look at a pack of playing cards the whole day?
The lady did just as Periyava had suggested. In a few days the gentleman recovered his memory completely. He began to play cards with his grand children. When his grandson blundered he chided him, ''You must drop a spade now. Not hearts!'' The gentleman had regained his speech also!!
What a sort of remedy did Periyava suggest? Home remedy or Card remedy? Anyway, He holds the trump in His hand!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back