• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Jagatguru Sri Maha Periyava Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

ஶ்ருதி ஸ்மிருதி புராணானாம் ஆலயம் கருணாலயம்
நமாமி பகவத் பாதம் சங்கரம் லோக சங்கரம்

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: Give the Horoscope to her!

(Anything can happen at Sri Maha Periyava’s sannidhanam. For one who can read the minds of the people, is it difficult to know what is in the bag)

Mukundaraj was working as the post master of the Aathur village. He had been promoted and transferred from Chennai to Aathur. He had a son who had studied M.Tech.

He thought that his son should get a job in US based on his studies. He wanted to check his son’s horoscope before he started looking for a job. At that time, there was an astrologer named Ramabatlu Sastrigal from Andhra Pradesh residing at Bethanayakanpalayam. Mukundaraj gave his son’s horoscope to his assistant, Srinivasan who was well acquainted with the astrologer.

The astrologer said that Mukundaraj’s son would get a job in the US and would marry a girl within the relatives circle. He also said that all this would happen within the next four months. In fact the astrologer wrote this and gave it to Srinivasan.

Since Mukundaraj was not in town when Srinivasan came back after meeting with the astrologer, he kept the horoscope with himself in his bag safely until Mukundaraj came back.

Srinivasan had a habit of visiting Sri Maha Periyava once a month. After a few days of visiting the astrologer, he had gone to visit His Holiness. There were a lot of devotees visiting Him and they
were supplicating their prayers.

When her turn came, a lady asked if her son would get a job in the US and also get married soon. Periyava smiled and looked in the direction of Srinivasan. Srinivasan did not know that the lady was none other than the wife of the post master Mukundaraj.

“Can you give me the horoscope that you have safely kept in your bag?” asked Maha Periyava. As Srinivasan was taking it out (with the astrologer’s writing) Periyava asked him to hand it over to the lady. At that moment both Srinivasan and Mukundaraj’s wife realised what was happening.

How did Periyava know about the horoscope in the bag? He did know that Mukundaraj’s wife would come there. Any miracle can happen at Periyava’s Sannidhanam. Is it difficult to know what is inside the bag for the His Holiness who can easily look into the hearts of the people?

Author: Sri Ra. Venkataswamy
Source: Kanchi Mahanin Karunai Nizhalil

Source: MAHA PERIYAVA Public Group/Face Book

ஹர ஹர சங்கர ஜெய ஜெய சங்கர !!

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

"இதை அப்படியே அவாள எடுத்துக்க சொல்லு. உத்தரவிட்டார்.

கொண்டுவந்தவர், பெற்றுக்கொண்டவர், இதை கண்டவர் என, எல்லாரும் கண்கள் குளமாக நின்றனர்""

அன்று.. தேனம்பாக்கத்தில் வெகு சிலபேர் மட்டுமே இருந்தனர். பெரியவா... கிணற்றின் பக்கத்திலிருந்து தரிசனம் கொடுத்துக்கொண்டிருந்தார்.சின்ன குயில்களின் கானமும், காக்கைகளின் எசப்பாட்டும் தவிர வேறு சத்தமில்லா நிசப்தம். "காமாட்சி... காமகோடி பீடவாஹினி.."- ஒரு பெண்மணி, மிக மதுரமாக பாடிக்கொண்டிருந்தார். அவர் அருகில், வேறொரு பெண், இடுப்பில் 3 வயது குழந்தையை வைத்தபடி பெரியவாளையே தரிசனம் செய்துகொண்டிருந்தார்.

"கமலேச சோதரி கமலாக்ஷி நாராயணி...." என்று பாடியவர், அடுத்த வரி மறந்து சற்று தடுமாறினார்...உடனே, "நாத பிந்து கலா ஸ்வரூபிணி..காத்யாயனி.."என்று, மழலையின் குரல் எடுத்துக்கொடுத்தது.. கண்ணில் நீர் பொங்க, அந்தப்பெண்மணி, கைகளாலேயே அந்த குழந்தையின் கன்னத்தை வருடி, முத்தமிட்டு, பாடலை பாடி முடித்தார்.

"யாரோட குழந்தை அது..."- பெரியவா உள்ளிருந்தபடியே கேட்டார்.

"என்னோட பையன் தான்.. பெரிவா..." - கையில் குழந்தையை வைத்திருந்தவர், சற்று தூக்கி காண்பித்தார்..

"உனக்கு, எப்படி இந்த பாட்டு தெரியும்?..- குழந்தையை கேட்டார்.

"எங்க அம்மா தினமும் பாடுவாளே...."

"சந்தோஷம்.. " - ஒரு ஆப்பிளை எடுத்து, குழந்தைக்கு ப்ரசாதமாக கொடுத்தார்.

குழந்தையை வைத்திருந்தவருக்கு, உலகமே தனக்கு கிடைத்த ஒரு சந்தோஷம்..

அப்பொழுது, ஒரு வயதான தம்பதி, கையில் ஒரு பழ தட்டுடனும், கண்களில் மிகுந்த ஏக்கத்துடனும், பெரியவாளை நெடுஞ்சாண்கிடையாக நமஸ்கரித்தார்கள்..

"என்ன வேண்டும்.."- கண்களாலேயே கேட்டது, பரப்ரம்மம்.

"பொண்ணுக்கு நிச்சயம் பண்ணியிருக்கோம். சொந்த மாமாவையே, கல்யாணம் செய்து வைக்கிறோம்."

"உறவு விட்டு போய்ட கூடாதுன்னா?..."

"அது மட்டும் இல்ல.. பெரிவா., வேற இடத்துல செஞ்சு வெக்க வசதியும் இல்ல..."

"சரி... என்ன வேணுமாம்?.. - கேளுடா.

"கல்யாணம்னு செஞ்சு வெக்க அடிப்படை தேவைகளுக்கு கூட பணம் இல்ல.. பெரியவா தான் ஏதாவது வழி காட்டணும்." - கண்ணீர் மல்க நின்றனர் அந்த தம்பதியர்.

சற்று நேரம் அங்கு மிகப்பெரும் மௌனம்..."அவாள, அந்த மரத்தடில போய் கொஞ்ச நேரம் உக்கார சொல்லு."

தம்பதியர், பெரிவாளுக்கு நமஸ்காரம் செய்து விட்டு, அழுது கொண்டே, மரத்தடிக்கு சென்று அமர்ந்து கொண்டனர்.

அதுவரை, இதை பார்த்துக் கொண்டிருந்தவர்களுக்கு, என்ன நடக்கும் என்று தெரிந்து கொள்ள ஆவல். குறிப்பாக, கையில் குழந்தையை வைத்திருந்த அந்த பெண்ணுக்கும், பாடியவருக்கும்.

ப்ரசாதம் வாங்கிக்கொண்டு, வீடு திரும்ப நினைத்தவர்கள், அங்கேயே நின்றுவிட்டனர்..

சரியாக, பதினைந்து நிமிடம் சென்றிருக்கும்.. ஒரு கார் வந்து நிற்கும் சத்தம். அதிலிருந்து, ஒரு மார்வாடி குடும்பம் இறங்கியது..

கையில், மிக பெரிய தட்டு, அதில் ஒரு துணியில் மூடி எதையோ கொண்டு வந்தனர்.

பெரியவா முன் அதை வைத்துவிட்டு, கை கூப்பி நின்றனர்.

"என்னது?..." சைகையாலேயே கேட்டார் அனைத்தும் அறிந்த அந்த ஆதி மூலம்.

"இவருக்கு போன மாசம், ஹார்ட் ஆபரேஷன் நடந்தது..

ஆபரேஷ நல்ல படியா முடிஞ்சு இவர் குணமானா, ஒரு ஏழை பெண்ணுக்கு கல்யாணத்துக்கு உதவறதா வேண்டிண்டோம். பெரியவர், யார சொல்றீங்களோ, அவங்களுக்கு இதை அப்படியே கொடுக்கறோம்.

"அந்த மரத்தடில இருக்கறவாள, வரச்சொல்லுடா"

உத்தரவு கிடைத்தவுடன், ஓடிவந்தார்கள் அந்த தம்பதியர்.

"இதை அப்படியே அவாள எடுத்துக்க சொல்லு..." - உத்தரவிட்டார்

கொண்டுவந்தவர், பெற்றுக்கொண்டவர், இதை கண்டவர் என, எல்லாரும் கண்கள் குளமாக நின்றனர்.

அனைத்தையும் நடத்திய அந்த பரப்ரம்மம், ஆசிர்வதித்தது... "எல்லாம் அம்பாளோட க்ருபை, க்ஷேமமா இருங்கோ..

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: The Sethji and His Terminal Illness

This incident happened about 35 years ago. Paramacharya was staying in Chennai for a few months, blessing people and giving discourses. From Chennai, he continued his yatra out of the city and stayed for a few days in a brick tiles manufacturing factory at Noombal on the Poonamallee high road past the city border.

I went to have a darshan of Paramacharya one evening, accompanied by a Sethji from Calcutta who was a wealthy philanthropist. In the usual way I prostrated to the Sage, my eight limbs touching the ground. Sethji also prostrated in a similar manner. I joined my palms and stood meekly.

Looking at us once and raising His head, Paramacharya asked, "You told me earlier once…was it about this man?" He was matchless in His powers of estimation and retention. I agreed to His words and said with humility, "This man was pestering me for a long time to take him for darshan, which is the reason I brought him here."

I need to tell you a few things about this man. This Sethji is very pious. He used to come daily to my upanyasas on Mahabharata and Ramayana, which I held in Calcutta. Since I was giving explanations in Hindi also, a number of North Indians used to come to my discourses.

Before I started my discourse, I would always talk about the greatness of Sri Kanchi Paramacharya for some time, after the initial prayers. My speech would be about Acharya's immense knowledge, power, tapo shakti, and His greatness with examples that highlighted them. Only then, the actual discourse would commence. This is a principle I have been following for a long time.

Though God has given the Sethji all sorts of fortunes, He had also left him with a large deficiency. It was the misfortune of not being able to take food through the mouth as his gullet was not functioning. His regular food was supplied to his digestive system artificially through a hole in the stomach. With this intense suffering he was living his days.

There was no treatment that he did not take to get this ailment rectified. He had met all the world experts in the field of medicine. There was no count to his temple darshans, prayers and the efforts using mantra and tantra. Still there was no cure in sight. Since he had heard about the greatness of Paramacharya from my daily discourses, he desired to have a darshan of the Sage and check if at last that would cure his malady.

During a recess in the discourse, he held on to it firmly that he and I should go to Chennai and have a darshan of Paramacharya.

I was apprehensive about taking him without the prior consent of Paramacharya. I told him that I would go to Chennai and get Acharya's consent and then take him. He immediately got me a plane ticket to Chennai.

On reaching Chennai, I informed Paramacharya about this Sethji at an opportune time and asked for His consent to bring the man for darshan. Though he discussed with me about the satkarya (good deeds) in Calcutta, He did not say anything about my request. When I reminded Him again after sometime, He curtly said, "Not now". Since Sethji might be shocked at Paramacharya's reply and lose hope in the ultimate cure, I simply told him that I would take him when I left Calcutta after my discourses.

In a way it was a mistake to have brought him, though I did it as a service. All the good and bad that happen in our life are due to our punya and paapa spread over many births. Man is bound to face them. The sins can be reduced only by suffering their effects. If there is continuous suffering, it only shows the quantum of accumulated sins. If the sufferings are faced with faith in God, their effects will be felt less, and good things would reach us when the sins are exhausted. With His foresight, Paramacharya is clear giving such explanations for the good and bad that we face in our life.

One of the reasons that He would not encourage meeting such sinful people who suffer now is that they would simply look for pariharas without realising that they have to suffer for their sins.
I stayed a little distance away from Him and kept on reminding him about giving darshan to Sethji. He did not give a positive reply. It was getting late at night. I approached Him with an intention of taking leave and coming the next morning.

He sensed my thought and said, "Nothing can be done in his matter! Take him away. Ask him to be devoted to God, do good deeds and God will save him!"

I became a little bold and said, "He is doing such good things for years together now. Is there no parihara at all? Everything should have a parihara! Don't our Dharma Shastras provide vimochanas for curses and sins? In God's creation, should there not be a parihara for everything? You should kindly give him your anugraha." I argued strongly in favour of the Sethji.

Paramacharya listened to me carefully, kept silent for some time and then asked me to come near Him with the words, "If that is so, come nearer."

"Will he do what I ordain for him?"

"He will do it; I shall ask him to do it."

"If he doesn't do it?"

"If he does it, let him get prosperity; or else let him suffer."

"It would require a large amount of money for what I ordain for him. Can he make it?"

"He is a millionaire. He would even spend all his wealth to get well."

"He should publish in Sanskrit the eighteen Puranas in our Veda Shastras in separate volumes on
good paper in good print and distribute the volume sets free to eligible Vedic Pundits. Will he do this? Can he do this?"

"He can. I shall ask him to do it."

"You know the eighteen Puranas? Give me their names."

I told him the names in this order:
1. Sri Matsya Purana
2. Markandeya Purana
3. Bhavishya Purana
4. Bhagavata Purana
5. Brahmanda Purana
6. Brahma Vaivarta Purana
7. Brahma Purana,
8. Vamana Purana
9. Varaha Purana
10. Vishnu Purana
11. Vayu Purana
12. Agni Purana
13. Naradiya Purana
14. Padma Purana
15. Linga Purana
16. Garuda Purana
17. Kurma Purana
18. Skanda Purana

I was happy that my act had a happy ending.

I called Sethji and told him the matter. He was immensely happy and said, "Yes, I would do this", as he prostrated to the lotus feet of Paramacharya, shedding tears. Paramacharya blessed him profusely and asked his assistants to give him prasada.

As soon he reached his place of domicile, Sethji started this task as the first thing. He allotted an entire floor of his large building as office for this venture. He called Vedic Pundits and scriptural experts from many states, consulted them, and printed the Puranas in good print on high quality paper in large-sized books, spending a fortune on the task, and distributed them free to eligible Vedic Pundits as ordained by Paramacharya. The word 'prem' (love) was mentioned in the part of the book that mentioned its price.

Without checking if his disease was lessening and without even worrying about if it would reduce, or feeling skeptical about it, he was totally and fiercely engaged in the publication of the Puranas as ordained by Paramacharya. Seventeen Puranas came out as books, but there was no ease in his condition! Even during the days of this Dharmic activity, he took food only through a hole in his stomach.

As the work on the eighteenth Purana, the 'Skanda Purana' started, Sethji had suddenly started eating with his mouth as everyone did! His tongue got back its tasting capabilities! He got the bhagyam of his birth that was not in sight all these days. The cruel disease that gave him untold suffering every day and minute was at last cured and gone with Paramacharya's anugraha.
When I got the news, I met Paramacharya and told him, "Acharya's Shakti is the Shakti! Sethji has come alive due to the boon, the anugraha you gave him! Only Paramacharya's anugraha saved him, after he resorted to all kinds of measures. Only you are the God!" I stood before him, drowned in gratitude, shedding tears.

The words that Maha Shakti spoke at that time gave me a darshan of him as the God seen with my own eyes (Kankanda Deivam).

"It is the Shakti of Dharma Shastras of our country that has saved him, is it not?" he said. Neither I nor has anyone ever heard Him declare at any stage that it was His or was done by Him. After knowing about this miraculous incident, the experts from the Western countries started crowding to seek His darshan.

This incident was narrated by Mukkur Srinivasa Varadacharyar Swamigal, the man responsible for Ashtalakshmi Temple in Chennai.

Source: Paramacharyar
Author: 'Paranthaman' (V.Narayanan)
Compiled by Jagadguru Sri Maha Periyava - Kanchi Paramacharya/Fb

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: Divine Foresight – Ramanatha, You are very lucky!!

This incident happened several years ago. A Vedic Pundit, Ramanatha Ganapadigal who hailed from Karur was living in Srirangam. His wife’s name was Dharmambal. Their only daughter was Kamakshi. Though the Pundit was a master in Vedas, he did not pursue Vaideegam (performing Vedic rituals) for his livelihood but used to do “Upanyasam” (spiritual discourses) for a living with whatever remuneration he received for his discourses. The family members were staunch devotees of Sri Maha Periyava.

Their daughter’s marriage was fixed suddenly and the groom was a teacher in a nearby village. His wife Dharmambal asked her husband, “Our daughter’s marriage has been fixed. How much savings have we got?” Ganapadigal replied, “Do you not know that I have managed to save about five thousand rupees and with that we can perform the marriage in a simple manner”.

Dharmambal was furious, “How we can conduct the marriage with this amount? We need to buy jewellery, new clothes and vessels. There are catering and other expenses and we need at least fifteen thousand rupees more”.

Ganapadigal just looked at her and Dharmambal said, “Don’t worry. I have a suggestion. Please buy some fruits, take the marriage invitation and go to Kancheepuram and do namaskarams to Sri Maha Periyava and tell him that our daughter’s marriage has been fixed. Explain our situation and ask His help for arranging fifteen thousand rupees. He will definitely help us”. However Ganapadigal did not take up her idea and replied “How is it possible to ask our Jagadguru for ‘dhanam’ (money) when we should only ask for ‘jnanam’ (knowledge). However Dharmambal argued and convinced her husband and made him travel to Kancheepuram the next day.

On that day there was a heavy crowd in the Kanchi Mutt to have darshan of Sri Maha Periyava. Ramanatha Ganapadigal was standing in the queue with a bamboo plate in which he had kept fruits and the marriage invitation. All the people standing in the queue were carrying fruits in the bamboo plate in their hands.

When the Ganapadigal reached the place where Periyava was sitting, one of the assistants grabbed his plate and kept the plate along with the other plates.

Ganapadigal didn’t expect this. “Sir I have kept the marriage invitation on that plate. I have to offer that to Periyava to seek His blessings. Please get me that” he was pleading desperately but it did not fall on anybody’s ears.

Suddenly there was a voice “Oh! Is it Karur Ramanatha Ganapadigal? Please come. Is everyone fine at Srirangam? Are your religious discourses going on well?” The voice came from none other than Sri Maha Periyava Himself. He then enquired about his family’s details and the discussion was going on. Ganapadigal did not know how to convey the issue of his financial needs. Somehow he managed to open the topic, “Dharmambal told me to visit you and get blessings for the marriage of our daughter….” Before he could finish, Periyava told him, “My blessings are there in full and …. I have one assignment for you. Can you do it for me?”

Ganapadigal enthusiastically asked what the assignment was. Immediately Periyava said, “What other assignment am I going to give you? To do discourse (upanyasam) only. There is an Agraharam in Tirunelveli near Kadaianallur in a miserable condition. Cows there die without any reason. They have sought Prasanam (an astrological practice followed in Kerala) with a Kerala Nambhoodhri and he has suggested them to do a Bhagavatha Saptaha upanyasam in the Perumal temple. Two days back the village Perumal temple priest (Bhattachariar) came here. He conveyed the matter and said “Swami only you have to arrange to send an upanyasakar for the Bhagvatha Upanyasam” and has placed the responsibility on me. You have to go there for my sake and do the needful. All other details are with Sri Matham’s Manager, you can ask him. Get the money from Sri Matham for your expenses. Tonight you board the train at Villupuram. They will take care of your remuneration (sambhavanai). Go, go, have food and take rest” said Swamigal and started talking to another devotee.

That night Ganapadigal boarded the train at Villupuram and arrived at Tirunelveli junction the next day afternoon. The Perumal temple priest (bhattar) came to the station to receive Ganapadigal. He was put up at the house of the priest and to his surprise nobody came to meet him. He consoled himself thinking that he could meet people at the time of the discourse. However, when he commenced his discourse i.e. “Bhagavatha Saptaham” in the evening, the temple priest, the temple security guard and Lord Varadaraja Perumal were the only attendees. When he enquired, he was told that the entire village got dispersed over an issue as to who should become the Trustee of the temple and until that issue was resolved, everyone in the village had decided not to enter the temple.

However Ramanatha Ganapadigal sincerely carried out his Saptaham in front of the Lord for the next seven days while it was attended by the temple priest and the security guard. On the last day the priest told him that the discourse was excellent and it was priceless however due to poor response, he gave the “Sambhavana” (fees for rendering the discourse) of sum of thirty rupees, the only amount which was available with the priest at that point in time. The watchman kept some change he had on the plate.

Bhattar also got Ganapadigal the train ticket for his return journey. Ganapadigal reached Kancheepuram via Villupuram the next day and reached Kanchi Mutt.

Next day afternoon after the routines were over he met Sri Maha Periyava. Maha Periyava then enquired about his trip to Kadayanallur and asked how the discourse went. “Come Ramanatha, Are you coming only now after the discourse? Very good. Was there a good gathering for the upanyasam? Did a lot of people from far off come?” asked Swamigal happily.

Ganapadigal’s eyes were filled with tears. In a broken voice he said, “No, Periyava, no such crowd came. In that village, there was some problem between the two groups, Periyava. So, nobody came to the temple for the last seven days”, and felt very sad.

“Ok, then how many people came for the discourse?”

“Only two of them, Periyava. That is what makes me sad”, said the Ganapadigal.

Immediately Periyava said, “Don’t be sad for this. Who were the two lucky people? Tell me, I want to hear”.

“Nobody from outside Periyava. One person was the bhattar. The other was the temple watchman”. Before he could finish, Swamigal started laughing loudly.

“Ramanatha, you are very lucky. Only Arjuna was there to hear the Geetopadesam (Bhagavad Gita) narrated by Lord Krishna from the chariot. Look at you. Two people have listened. You are luckier than Sri Krishna”, told Periyava. On hearing this, Ganapadigal started laughing.

“That means, you would not have got a good remuneration”, asked Swamigal.

“The bhattar gave thirty rupees, watchman gave two rupees and twenty-five paise, together I got, thirty-two rupees and twenty-five paise”, told the Ganapadigal.

“Ramanatha, you went there just because I told you to go. Should do a lot for your expertise in Vedas. This time, the situation is like this”, said Swamigal and called the assistant. He told the assistant to present him with a shawl and give one thousand rupees with a plate of fruits.

“Take this and leave happily. You and your family will do well”, said Swamigal.

With tears rolling, he stood up after doing namaskaram to Periyava. Only then did the Ganapadigal remember why he came to visit Swamigal. “Ä prayer to Periyava ... Daughter’s wedding has to happen well...for that... for that “while Ganapadigal was hesitating “My full blessings are there, Lord Chandramouleeswara will conduct the marriage in a grand manner!
Now take care, go to your town” the Acharya bid him good bye.

Without fifteen thousand rupees and empty handed, fearing how the reception would be from his wife, Ramanatha Ganapadigal entered his house.

“Please wait, please wait there. I am coming” the enthusiastic voice of his wife Dharmambal came from inside the house.

She came to entrance of the house and gave water to her husband to wash his legs. She took arathi for him and led him inside the house. She gave him coffee and showed extraordinary hospitality. “Come here and see our pooja room” she led Ganapadigal to the Pooja room.
Ganapadigal went into the Pooja room. There he saw in front of the deity a big bamboo plate with a variety of fruits, saree, dhoti (veshti), two mangalasutras (thirumangalyam), turmeric, kumkum, flowers along with a bundle of currency.

“Dharmu all these ...” before he could finish “somebody from Sri Matham came saying Periyava from Kanchipuram wanted to give this and kept it here. I asked why? They said it is for your daughter’s marriage. Periyava wanted us to reach these to you” finished his wife.

Now also tears rolled down from Ganapadigal’s eyes. “Dharmu what a mercy Periyava has shown. I didn’t open my mouth and ask him anything. Still, that God has sent all these things!!” He said emotionally and asked “Did you count the currency in the bundle?” “No. I did not” said his wife.
Ganapadigal sat down and finished counting.

Fifteen thousand rupees!!

Thinking of that Seer’s compassion, Ramanatha Ganapadigal started crying out loudly!
Source: Maha Periyavar by S. Ramani Anna

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Happy Gokulashtami!!!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: "Swamigal gently put His Lotus Feet on Krishna's feet!!!"

"One lady used to say, "He is like Lord Krishna and we are always swarming Him like those calves, enjoying His presence".

One day it was Gokulashtami. Kanchi MahaSwamigal had gone to the backyard for His morning duties at 4am.

His Kainkaryam Sri Srikantan told me, "Mami, I will open the door secretly for you. You should put the necessary kolams and Kutty Krishna's feet on the floor as quickly as possibly and run from here, Ok?"
I said Ok!

He said, "If you want, I will close the backyard door. Let me know the moment you are finished with the kolams and then I will open it again for Him".

He was talking like as if the Sarveshwaran will not know about our plans!

I put the kolams; the Kutty Krishna's feet came out so beautifully that day. I drew the Feet from the backyard door right up to the room where He does the poojas and also near the kitchen. And then quickly I came out, afraid that Srikantan might admonish me for taking so much time!

I stood behind a window and got ready to watch the Celestial event unfold. Swamigal opened the door. On seeing the tiny Krishna feet kolams, He lifted His vastram and gently put His Lotus Feet on Krishna's feet, one by one, and came walking to His room sweetly, all the way He was looking at me through the window! He walked as if He was Lord Krishna Himself!!!

That Sarveshwaran, what Kindness!

Even today, I am reminded of That day on all Krishna Jayanthi days!"

Narrated by Smt. Prathiyangara Padmasini

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: The wrestler’s mystery!!!

A wrestler whose strength it was said was immeasurable, came to Kanchipuram. If a fistful of sesame seeds were given to him, he could crush it to oil quite casually. He had also won a number of competitions in boxing and martial arts. So he had a horde of followers that admired him. His intention was to get a prize from Periyava. He was ready to exhibit his prowess in front of Periyava and was all set to wrestle with any one Periyava deputed as his opponent.

A youngster who visited SriMatham now and then and served there—let us call him Manakkal Krishna Sastri—was a hefty, well-built man. Periyava sent for Krishna Sastri.

“Krishna, stand near the entrance…for an hour. You must not move…what do you say?”

“As commanded…”

Although no one including Krishna Sastri understood this strange command, he stood near the entrance of SriMatham. He came in after an hour. Later when Periyava came out after performing puja, Krishna Sastri took leave of Periyava formally and left for Manakkal. A close relative of the wrestler who lived in Kanchipuram came for darshan that night. He asked an attendant, “Of course one does find vaidiks and attendants in the Matham. But has the Matham now appointed a wrestler also?”

“What a strange question! Why should the Matham patronise wrestlers?”

“A famous wrestler who was on a visit to this town came to the Matham at about ten this morning.

Taken aback by the presence of a powerful wrestler at the front door, he came back without entering the premises for darshan. I am now returning after seeing him off to Chennai.”

The attendants had a hearty laugh. ‘So this was why Periyava parked Manakkal Sastri at the front door! The wrestler was frightened by seeing him there.’

How did Periyava know that a wrestler was coming to the Matham with the intention of challenging the attendants to wrestle with him? Well, that remains a riddle.

Source: Maha Periyaval Darisana Anubhavangal

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: Oh! He is the merciful Almighty! He can do anything!

Sri Chandramouli was one of Sri Periyava’s ardent devotees. His uncle was a captain in the Army. Though he was God-fearing, he did not have much bhakti towards Sri Periyava.

His son-in-law was working in Vellore and suddenly he was diagnosed with some problem in his kidney. All the doctors who had checked him in Vellore said that they could not do anything. That night, the captain’s daughter felt emotionally upset thinking about her husband’s situation. She had a unique dream that night. Sri Periyava came in her dreams and asked, “Can you give me your thirumangalyam (auspicious necklace/string a married woman wears to denote her marital status)?”

As soon as it dawned, even though she could not find a proper yellow thread, she found a normal thread, knotted a manjal (turmeric) piece on it and tied that around her neck. She also removed the thirumangalyam that was already wearing and kept it to be given to Sri Periyava.

Even though Sri Periyava came only in her dreams, this act proved that she believed that it was true and also showed her bhakti towards Sri Periyava.

When Sri Chandramouli Mama was informed about this, he asked them to come immediately for Sri
Periyava’s darshan. But, they got the opportunity only to have His darshan only after fifteen days.

“Has someone come for darshan” asked Sri Periyava, when they went and stood there.

“Sri Periyava need not strain Himself…can give darshan when Sri Periyava comes out”, Sri Chandramouli Mama was saying. But Sri Periyava did not even listen to him and ordered him to bring them inside.

“Have you brought that…give it to me” asked Sri Periyava in the same manner as He had asked in her dreams. He accepted that mangalyam and asked Sri Balu Mama to bring a fruit. When Sri Balu Mama gave an apple to Sri Periyava. Sri Periyava pierced the fruit with His Holy Hands and kept looking keenly at captain’s son-in-law. After this Sri Periyava gave that fruit to them and blessed him saying, “You don’t have any problem. You can go.”

After they reached Vellore, they went for the medical check-up and the kidney specialists were totally surprised with the results. To their astonishment, both the kidneys were functioning very well. They realised that only a supernatural power could have resolved this and asked them what had happened. When these folks explained they immediately said, “Oh! He is God. He can do anything!”

If we perform proper bhakti to Sri Periyava, who is so simple and does not showcase any of His supernatural powers, it is true that our devotion will yield us all prosperity and wealth.
Grace will continue to flow.

Source: Sri Periyava Mahimai Newsletter-Jan 05 2008

Last edited by a moderator:

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

""பெரியவாள், இந்த தனவந்தருக்கு மட்டும் குங்குமம் கொடுத்து ஆசீர்வதிக்கிறாரே? பரவாயில்லைதனவந்தர் அதிர்ஷ்டசாலிதான்""

கும்பகோணத்துக்கு அருகில்உள்ளது
திப்பிராஜபுரம். அழகிய இந்த கிராமத்தின் சிறப்பு அக்ரஹாரம். வேதபாடசாலையும் அமைந்துள்ள இந்த கிராமத்தில், வேதவிற்பன்னர்கள் மற்றும் சாஸ்திரபண்டிதர்கள்ஆகியோர்வாழ்ந்தனர்.

கட்டுக்குடுமியும்கழுத்தில்ருத்திராட்சமுமாக மாணவச்சிறுவர்கள் பலர் இங்கும் அங்குமாகஓடியாடி விளையாடுவதேஅத்தனைஅழகு! அதுமட்டுமா? அக்ரஹார வீட்டுவாசல்களில்காலை மாலைஇரண்டுவேளையும் காவிக்கோலங்கள் நிறைந்திருக்கும். அக்ரஹாரப்பெண்கள், தீபமேற்றி சுலோகங்களைப்பாடுவர்.

இதேபோல்திருவிசநல்லூர்
, திருவிடைமருதூர், கோவிந்தபுரம்ஆகியவையும் அழகு தவழும் கிராமங்கள். காஞ்சிமகாபெரியவாள்இந்தகிராமங்களைபெரிதும்நேசித்தார்.

ஒருமுறை
, திபபிராஜபுரத்தில்முகாமிட்டிருந்தார்பெரியவாள். இந்தகிராமத்துமக்கள், மகாபெரியவாளிடம்மிகுந்தபக்திவைத்திருந்தனர். ஒருநாள்… ‘ஜயஜயசங்கரஹரஹரசங்கரஎனும்கோஷம்முழங்க, மேனாவில் (பல்லக்கு) வீதியுலாவந்தார்காஞ்சிபெரியவாள். வழிநெடுகவாழைமரமும்மாவிலைத்தோரணங்களும்கட்டப்பட்டிருந்தன. வீடுகள்தோறும்வாயிலில்கோலமிட்டு, தீபமேற்றிவைத்திருந்தனர்.

ஒவ்வொருவீட்டுவாசலிலும்
மேனாநின்றது. அந்தணர்கள்வேதமந்திரங்களைமுழங்கினர்; பூர்ணகும்பத்தைத்தொட்டுஆசிர்வதித்தார்பெரியவாள். அனைவரும்அவரைநமஸ்கரித்தனர்.

மெள்ளநகர்ந்துகொண்டிருந்தது
மேனா. இந்தநிலையில்தனவந்தர்ஒருவர், தனதுவீட்டில்பரபரப்பும்பதட்டமுமாகஇருந்தார். ‘பெரியவாளைதரிசிக்கவேண்டும்என்றுஎண்ணி, பூர்ணகும்பத்துக்காகபெட்டிக்குள்வைத்திருந்தவெள்ளிச்சொம்பைஎடுத்துக்கையில்வைத்துக்கொண்டாலும்ஊரேகூடியிருக்கும்இந்தவேளையில்வாசலுக்குவந்துபெரியவாளைதரிசிக்கவேண்டுமா?’ என்றுசிந்தித்தபடிதவித்துமருகினார்.

அவரதுவீட்டுவாசலின்
முன்நின்றதுமேனா. வீட்டுக்குள்இருந்து தயக்கத்துடன்எட்டிப்பார்த்ததனவந்தரைப்பார்த்து, ‘வாஇங்கே…’ என்பதுபோல்சைகைகாட்டினார்பெரியவாள்!

பதறிப்போனதனவந்தர்
, கையில்வைத்திருந்தவெள்ளிச்சொம்புடன், ஓடிவந்தார். பெரியவாளைநெருங்கிபவ்யமாகநின்றார். அவரின்கையிலிருந்தசொம்பைவெடுக்கெனபிடுங்கினார்பெரியவாள்.

தனவந்தருக்குத்தூக்கிவாரிப்போட்டது
. ‘இந்தசொம்பைஅலம்பவோ, தீர்த்தம் (தண்ணீர்) நிரப்பவோஇல்லையே…’ எனும்குற்றஉணர்ச்சியில்கூனிக்குறுகிதலைகவிழ்ந்துநின்றார்தனவந்தர்.

பல்லக்கில்வைத்திருந்தகுங்குமப்
பிரசாதத்தைஒருபிடிஅள்ளிஎடுத்தபெரியவாள், தனவந்தரின்வெறும்வெள்ளிச்சொம்பினுள்போட்டு, அவரிடம்வழங்கி, ”«க்ஷமமாஇருஎன்றுஆசிர்வதித்தார்.

உடனேபெரியவாளின்முன்
நெடுஞ்சாண்கிடையாகவிழுந்துநமஸ்கரித்தார்தனவந்தர். அவரால்பேசவேமுடியவில்லை. பொலபொலவெனகண்ணில்நீர்பெருகிற்று.

சிலநிமிடங்களுக்குப்பிறகுதன்னைஆசுவாசப்படுத்திக்கொண்டதனவந்தர், ‘குருமகாதெய்வமே…’ என்றுபேசமுற்பட்டார். ஆனால், மெல்லிய

புன்னகையுடன்
, ‘போகலாம்என்பதுபோல்சைகைகாட்டினார்மகாபெரியவாள். மேனாநகர்ந்தது.

Contd...../2

Last edited by a moderator:
Contd....../2

[FONT=&quot]ஊர் மக்களுக்கு ஆச்சரியம்[/FONT]!

[FONT=&quot]அட[/FONT][FONT=&quot]பக்தி[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]சிரத்தையுடன்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]எல்லோரும் [/FONT][FONT=&quot]பூரணகும்பம்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]அளித்தபோது[/FONT], [FONT=&quot]அவற்றைத்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]தொட்டு[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]மட்டுமே[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]ஆசீர்வதித்த[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]பெரியவாள்[/FONT], [FONT=&quot]இந்த[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]தனவந்தருக்கு[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]மட்டும்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]குங்குமம்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]கொடுத்து[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]ஆசீர்வதிக்கிறாரே[/FONT]? [FONT=&quot]பரவாயில்லை[/FONT][FONT=&quot]தனவந்தர்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]அதிர்ஷ்டசாலிதான்[/FONT][FONT=&quot]என்று[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]பேசிக்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]கொண்டனர்[/FONT].

[FONT=&quot]
உண்மைதான்[/FONT]! [FONT=&quot]சீரும்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]சிறப்புமாக[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]வாழ்ந்த[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]தனவந்தர்[/FONT], [FONT=&quot]சமீபத்தில்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]நொடித்துப்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]போய்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]விட[/FONT][FONT=&quot]இதையடுத்து[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]வெளியே[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]வருவதும்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]இல்லை[/FONT]; [FONT=&quot]எவரையும்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]சந்திப்பதையும்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]தவிர்த்து[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]வந்தார்[/FONT]. [FONT=&quot]அவமானத்தால்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]வீட்டிலேயே[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]அடை[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]பட்டுக்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]கிடந்தார்[/FONT]. [FONT=&quot]அதனால்தான்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]பெரியவாள்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]வீதியுலா[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]வந்தபோதும்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]வெளியே[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]வர[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]தயங்கினார்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]தனவந்தர்[/FONT].

[FONT=&quot]
இதை உணராமலா இருப்பார்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]பெரியவாள்[/FONT]? [FONT=&quot]அந்த[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]தனவந்தர்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]வாழ்ந்து[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]கெட்டவர்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]என்பதை[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]அறிந்தவர்[/FONT], [FONT=&quot]வீதியுலாவின்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]போது[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]அவரை[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]அழைத்து[/FONT], [FONT=&quot]அவர்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]கையில்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]இருந்த[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]சொம்பில்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]குங்குமத்தையும்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]வழங்கி[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]அருள்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]புரிந்தார்[/FONT].

[FONT=&quot]
சில மாதங்களில்[/FONT][FONT=&quot]தனவந்தரின்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]குடும்பம்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]மெள்ள[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]முன்னேறியது[/FONT]. [FONT=&quot]படிப்படியாக[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]செல்வம்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]சேர[/FONT][FONT=&quot]மீண்டும்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]தழைத்தோங்கியது[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]தனவந்தரின்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]குடும்பம்[/FONT]. [FONT=&quot]பழைய[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]நிலையை[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]விட[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]இன்னும்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]பல[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]படி[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]முன்னேறினார்[/FONT]!

[FONT=&quot]
இதையறிந்த திப்பிராஜபுரம் மக்களுக்கு[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]பெரியவாள்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]மீது[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]இருந்த[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]பக்தியும்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]அன்பும்[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]பல மடங்கு அதிகரித்தது
[/FONT]

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: The Epitome of Compassion

There was this young lady, a sadhu by nature, deeply devoted to Periyava and would often come for darśan. She was quiet and never asked for anything or spoke about herself. She married and settled down and lived happily. When Periyava was camping in Chennai, he was walking through T.Nagar one day. This young lady lived there. She came out of her house when Periyava walked down that street, and prostrated to Periyava.

“Periyava must be gracious to give me his pādukas” she said. It was mid-day and blistering hot.

“How shall I walk if I give you my pādukas?”

“Here, Periyava,” said the lady in readiness and placed another pair she had brought with her, at Periyava’s feet.

“Why! I thought that I was smart, but she is smarter than I thought I was! She has never asked me anything for herself.” Periyava stepped out his wooden sandals and wearing the ones she offered walked on. So the young lady took the pādukas and went in.

The young lady’s husband had begun to go wayward, getting drunk and falling into bad company and so on. She never spoke to anyone about it. One day he got so heavily drunk, he slipped into unconsciousness that lasted for six or seven days. The doctors came but there was no response whatsoever. This lady had never spoken a word about her husband to Periyava at any time. She would come and offer her prostrations, take the prasāda Periyava gave and leave.

One day, Periyava was performing pūja and I was posted at the pūjakaṭṭu. It was in Sanskrit College. Such a quiet lady, surprisingly, she beckoned me that day. I had purified myself to serve at the pūja, so I stood at a distance by the side of the altar.

“I need to speak a word to Periyava. It is an important matter.”

Though Periyava would be totally absorbed in the pūja, he was always aware of everything that went on there. His had eyes on four sides, not one!

When the pūja was over, Periyava called me and asked, “Why did that lady call you and talk to you?”

I repeated the lady’s words to Periyava. The lady was called to Periyava’s presence and she told Periyava of her husband’s unconscious condition for the past week. “It is my unfortunate fate! I do not complain about God.”

“Why have you never told me this before?”

“If my husband performs pūja and so on I can talk about it. If he went on a pilgrimage to Kāśi, I can talk about it. Periyava is a great saint, how could I speak of such matters in his presence? Besides, how could I speak such a bitter truth about my husband?”

“Does he earn well?”

“Yes, he is a contractor and we are comfortably placed?‟

“Children? ‟

“We have three children.”

“Isn’t it because he has money that he drinks? Isn’t it because he has money that he drinks? Isn’t it because he has money that he drinks?”

Thrice, Periyava asked this question.

“Fetch a donnai or a tumbler” Periyava said and I did. Periyava poured some tīrthaprasāda into the leaf-cup and also gave some vilva leaves. “Sprinkle the tīrtha on his head and put the vilva in his mouth! May you be blessed!”
I escorted the young lady. The man was lying unconscious. I sprinkled the tīrtha prasāda on his head and the vilva placed into his mouth. The man got up, stretched his limbs as if he had woken from a good night’s rest and sitting up, asked, “Who is this?”

“Periyava has sent him!”

Contd.../2

Contd..../2

“I was in Malaya and Singapore for some time and I picked up the habit there” the man said.

I blessed the couple and returned to the camp.

It so happened, from that day onwards, the man earnings dwindled to nothing at all. He never handled anything less than five thousand or ten thousand in real estate business, but now he could not get a quarter of an anna, till his passing. Periyava did this and the man was without a rupee. The lady was not educated either and she suffered a great deal, educating and bringing up the children in such penury. They had no amenities like telephone at home. Their only security was the house in T.Nagar. Her husband mortgaged the house to a Muslim gentleman and borrowed money on it and in course of time the loan accumulated to thirty thousand rupees.

This money-lender had three wives and four sons. One day when the lady’s husband was away and when she was alone at home, the money-lender barged into the house with his sons and some henchmen and began to wind up the place, dumping the brass utensils into sacks and shifting everything outside, as preliminary to taking possession of the house. Not knowing what to do, the lady stepped out and stood on the road. An unknown gentleman, quite advanced in years came up to her and said, “I live in the same road, but I have never seen you outside your house. What is it, my child?” When he learnt of the matter, at once he rushed to the Pondy Bazar police station and in no time two vans full of policemen arrived there. The money-lender was by then in the pūja room and about to take Periyava’s pādukas and toss them out when a policeman’s cane came down on his back, even as he put his hands upon them. The men were rounded up and booked for unlawful entry and harassment of the lady, and were placed under lock-up without an option to be bailed out. The money-lender’s family was not permitted to meet him and his sons either.

Sri Arul, who was then Inspector General of Police, was a very strict man and fearless of any kind of clout. He was furious. “You speak of right conduct in your religion. Was this the right thing to do? If you were demanding repayment, or claiming possession of the house, go about it legally! You can’t take the law into your hands and break into a house in broad daylight when a lady is alone and attempt to take over. Taking possession of a property is the duty of the bailiff after proper legal procedure! Did you have a warrant or any official paper to allow your entry into the house? Where was the mercy that you speak of so highly in your religion? If that lady herself came here and requested your release I will let you out, not otherwise!

The offender was a very wealthy man. His wives pleaded with the IG of police, but for four days they were in lock-up, with nothing but the gruel given there to sustain them. Finally the wives went to the lady herself and pleaded with her to speak to the chief of the Police. “You are like a mother to us. Our children have not eaten these past four days. You must be gracious! You need not repay our debts, Mother!”

“I know nothing of these matters. I find no fault with your men. We owe them money, it is true. It was the way they went about the whole thing that was so hurting!” said the lady but anyway went along and helped to bail them out. The matter went to court and all this went on for some time. The lady‟s husband got nothing by way of earnings. Periyava did that for he had asked the lady, “Isn’t it because he has money that he drinks?”

When Periyava’s camp was in Hagari, one day there was a phone call for me. Srikantan was not there, having gone out on an errand. So I told Vedapuri to manage till I got back, warning him not to disturb Periyava with the news that I had gone out to attend to a phone-call. Periyava being what he is seems to have told Vedapuri, “Call Balu, I need a drink of water!” He would not take it from Vedapuri. He repeated his instruction when I was not called and then Vedapuri in his characteristic fashion proclaimed, “There was a phone-call and he has gone out to take it!”

I had been away for hardly a few minutes and no sooner did he see me Periyava said, “You had a phone-call, my boy” and before I could speak a word in reply, he continued, “So what did that lady say?”
Their house in T.Nagar was coming up for auction in a day’s time.

So I conveyed the news to Periyava. “They are unable to pay the money and the house is to be auctioned the day after tomorrow.”

“What are we to do? Neither you nor I have money! Nor can we ask anyone here. I am an ascetic who does not ask for money. Call the lawyer Nagarajaiyer!”

Nagarajaiyer had come from Madras for darśan. The gentleman presented himself to Periyava.
“Balu has something to say.”

I explained everything to Nagarajaiyer.

“That is not possible. How can that be done? May be five or ten thousand rupees could be paid and we could ask for more time, that’s all. But stay order, not possible!”

“Chee . . . Go away, go away. Go away!” Periyava’s words were repeated three times. “Have you come here to enlighten me? If someone asks for help, you simply act upon the matter! What kind of a lawyer are you?”

“Why is Periyava angry with me?”

The gentleman left soon after, not offering to help in anyway.

That day passed and the next and then it was Saturday. I was called on the phone. As before I requested Vedapuri to wait upon Periyava and also suggested that he need not disturb Periyava with this information. Periyava was resting. It was about one o’clock in the afternoon. Getting up, Periyava has asked for me, in his characteristically mischievous fashion, “Fetch Balu!”

“Balu has been called on the phone. He told me not to tell Periyava, but I have. So Periyava must tell Balu that I did!

“You have told me and so I am going to tell Balu that you did.”

“Periyava must not!”

“Balu told you not to tell me, but you have. So I must tell him that you did!

”It was going on like this and the two were still in the midst of a quarrel when I came back. The lady told me over the phone, “Buy plenty of sugar candy, raisins and fruits, offer it to Periyava along with prostrations on my behalf and tell Periyava, “The house is ready to be auctioned and that his devotee is on the streets without a way for a meal.”

‟As soon as I presented myself, Periyava said, “What is it? Am I being scolded harshly by that lady? What does she say?”

I was not explicit because it was not polite, so I simply said, “She expressed distress” and left it at that, though I apprised Periyava of the impending auction.

“Wait a moment! What day is it? Saturday, isn’t it? The auction cannot be valid if it is done today. There is a certain procedure to be followed. Both parties must present themselves at the Registration Department and sign there with four witnesses in support of their mutual consent. Today the Registration office is closed. Tomorrow is Sunday. That means nothing can be done till Monday. On Monday morning, as the first case this must be registered in court, by seven o’ clock. A sum of seventy five thousand must be pledged to retrieve the house. It is worth a crore of rupees, much more than the bidding in the auction. That is another point. Call Ramanujam over the telephone and tell him to do the needful!”

Ramanujam was an Iyengar. I called him over the phone and spoke to him.

“Why, Balu! I am a seasoned lawyer and I go to court every day. I was not aware of these subtleties. In fact I was wondering how to tackle this situation. Which Law College did Periyava go to and did he get a B. L. degree? How well he has brought it under control!” Ramanujam broke down and wept over the phone.
Ramanujam went to court on Monday and registering his plaint, disproved the auction done on Saturday citing legal grounds and also because the house was worth much more than what it got at the bidding. A sum was paid in advance to answer for the debts and he managed to get a stay order on the auction. The house was never auctioned and the family lives there even now. The sons are grown up now and they are well-placed. The pādukas were never disturbed from where the lady had placed them since she took them from Periyava’s feet.

Narrated by Sri Balu Mama
Source: E-book In the Presence of the Divine Vol II

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

பெரியவாள் காசி யாத்திரை (1933) செல்லும் வழியில்ஒரு ஆந்திர குக்கிராமம் ஒன்றில்
முகாமிட்டபோது ஸ்ரீஸி.எஸ்,விக்குப் பொத்துக்கொண்டு வந்து விட்டதாம்.

"எடுத்துச் செலவழிப்பதற்கு நம் மடத்தில் என்ன கொட்டியா கிடக்கிறது இந்தத்தரித்திரம்பிடித்த ஊரில்இத்தனை யானையையும்,ஒட்டையையும், ஜனங்களையும் கட்டித்தீனி போடுவதென்றால் எப்படி?" என்கிற ரீதியில்பெரியவாள் காதுபடப் பொரிந்து தள்ளி விட்டாராம்.

பெரியவாள் அவரைக் கூப்பிட்டார். சாந்தமாக " நீ ஏன்பதட்டப்படறே? நாம நல்ல காரியத்தை உத்தேசிச்சுப்பொறப்பட்டிருக்கோம்.நம்ப லக்ஷ்யம் நன்னாயிருந்தா அம்பாள் கை கொடுக்காமப் போவாளா? அவதானே எல்லாருக்கும் படியளக்கிறா? நமக்கும் நிறைய அளப்பா"என்றாராம்.

மறுநாள், விச்வநாதய்யரால் நம்பவே முடியவில்லை! அந்தக் கிராமத்தில் ஏதாவது திருவிழா நடந்ததா, அல்லது சந்தை கூடிற்றா, அல்லது இப்படி எதுவுமே நடக்காமல் பெரியவாளின் சக்தி மட்டும்தான் வேலை செய்ததா என்று அவருக்குச் சொல்ல தெரியவில்லை. ஆனால் சொல்லத் தெரிந்தது,

மறுநாள் காலையிலிருந்து அந்த நிர்மாநுஷ்யக் குக்கிராமத்தில் புற்றீசலாகப்பக்தர்கள் பெரியவாளை வழிபட வந்து கொண்டேயிருந்ததுதான்.

வந்தது மட்டும் இல்லை.அக்காலத்தில் வெள்ளி நாணயம்வழங்கி வந்ததல்லவா? வந்த பக்தர்கள் யாவரும் இப்படி நாணயங்களைக் கொண்டு வந்து கொட்டினார்கள்.

"நான் மடத்திலே இருந்திருக்கிற இந்த நாற்பது வருஷமா(இதை ஸி.எஸ்,வி.என்னிடம் கூறியது சுமார் பத்து ஆண்டுகளுக்கு முன்பு-கட்டுரை-1960-பின் பாதியில்) அந்த மாதிரி ஒத்தை ஒத்தை ரூபாயா வந்து குன்று மாதிரி குவிஞ்சதேயில்லை!.மடத்து ஜாகையிலே எல்லாத்தையும் சேத்துக் குவிச்சு எண்ணிட்டுப் படியாலே எடுத்து எடுத்துச்சாக்கிலே போட்டுக் கட்டினோம்.

பெரியவாள்,"அம்பாள்,'படி' அளப்பாள்'னு சொன்னேன்.ஒனக்கு நம்பிக்கைப் படலை. இப்ப நீயே 'படியாலே' அளந்து அளந்து கொட்டறே, பாத்தியா?"-ன்னா!.

"பெரியவாளுக்குத் தெரியாதது எதுவும் இல்லை. பெரியவா செய்ய முடியாதது எதுவும் இல்லை. இருந்தாலும் 'எங்களைக் கூட வெச்சுண்டு ஆட்டம் போட்டிருக்கா

Source: Varagooran.Narayanan/Face Book

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: Compassion towards all creatures

Once when Periyava was camping at a place called Puchamalaikkuppam, the shed where the Mutt's elephant was kept caught fire and the elephant broke its chains and ran away. The next day morning, the employees of the Mutt noticed that the shed where the elephant was kept had burned down fully and the elephant was missing.

Later it was found that the elephant was near a tank some five miles away and the mahout went there to fetch the elephant but the elephant refused to accompany him despite his best efforts.Then Periyava went there and the elephant slowly got up from the tank and came near Periyava and saluted Him. There were a few burns on the body of the elephant. Periyava patted the elephant with His own hand and ordered proper treatment for burns to be completed.

Like all human devotees, the Mutt elephant also had abundant faith and Bhakti towards Periyava.

Sri Maha Periyava was always kind towards animals and they in turn loved Periyava as human beings did. Even animals who have only five senses, unlike men with six senses, were perhaps aware of the greatness of Maha Periyava!

That is why Periyava is called Paramacharya and Karunamurthy!

Source: Ganni (Book on Paramacharya) by Sri Sudarsananda

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: “Difficulties, Difficulties” – if we lament that we are going through difficulties, those difficulties rejoice!!!

A person who was working for a company at Ambattur had lots of problems in his life! Sick wife, useless children to name a few.

He had a friend who was Maha Periyava’s devotee.

The friend advised the person – “Instead of going through the trauma of facing your difficulties alone, go to Kancheepuram. Have darshan of our Maha Periyava once. All your difficulties will vanish at that instant”. The person listened to this advice and came to Kancheepuram.

He thought, “Even Kings from different parts of the world, Presidents and also poor peasants come for Maha Periyava’s darshan. There will be lots of people around Periyava all the time. In the midst of all the crowd, how can I go near Him and explain my problems”. He got out the bus and reached the SriMatham. Big Surprise! There was no one in the SriMatham!

He lamented,”Oh my! It is my bad fate that the Sage has left this place!” He could not find anyone who he could ask about the whereabouts of Periyava.

At a distance he spotted an old man. He decided to ask him.

“Sir, Do you know where the sannyasi has gone?” he asked.

The old man replied,” Have you come to see him? Who has sent you?”

The person replied, “My friend (he mentioned the friend’s name) told me lots about the sannyasi. I have lots of family problems; my wife is always sick. My children are also useless! There is no peace or happiness at home! Even though I earn an honest living, I cannot even have a bite of food peacefully! That’s why I came here to have the darshan of the sannyasi as per the advice of my friend.”

“Oh, if you tell your problems to the sannyasi, do you think you can get a solution to your problems?”

The person thought in his mind, “Why this old man is asking like this?”

The old man said, “Why do you think you are going through the difficulties? If you think these are not your burdens, then you mind will get relaxed.”

“How is that possible? I am the one who is going through these problems. Who is going to take my burdens?” asked the person.

The old man smiled.

The old man said, “If we are travelling to a different place, we will be carrying our luggage. But, what will we do? We will hire a coolie to carry our things, right? So, we won’t have to feel the heaviness of the luggage. Our difficulties are also similar. No difficulties are ours. We have to strongly believe that, God will take care. Then we don’t have to experience any of our difficulties.”

Even though the person could not realize that the old man in front of him is “Jagath Guru”, nobody can hide the bright light or the heat of fire. God’s words flowed into him like a giant waterfall!

The Ambattur person said, “Revered Sir, after listening to your words I can feel my mind has relaxed a bit. It is better to surrender our burden to Bhagawan and leave everything to Him. I wanted to tell all my problems to the samiyar and put down my burdens, like I shared with you. But, unfortunately, I could not see him. I have to go back to Madras immediately. It is my bad fate. I think good times have not come for me yet. But, I really feel pleasant after talking to you. Who are you? Are you from this place? Have you seen the Samiyar?”

There was a big smile on Periyava’s face. He said, “Everybody calls me Sankarachariyar!”

The Ambattur person immediately fell at Periyava’s feet right away. Crores and Crores of people yearn to have the darshan of Periyava at least for a second. That Maha Maha Periyava had been talking to this Maha Maha insignificant person for such a long time… This shows only His great compassion!

Men have to remove their shirts before prostrating to Maha Periyava. The Ambattur employee did not have his Poonal! Maha Periyava is Sarvaantharyaami! He knows everything!

Periyava called one of His sevarthi and said, “Take him inside and put Poonal for him!” Periyava then blessed the employee and sent him.

“Difficulties, Difficulties” – if we lament that we are going through difficulties, those difficulties rejoice!

“Let it be difficulty or happiness, honour or dishonour, everything happens because of God’s will”, if we have strong faith in this, we can enjoy our life. Because that is the truth as well.

Narrated by Sri Salem Ravi Mama

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: Take the Prasadam from the Ground!

Ramaswamy Iyer was a famous advocate in Salem. He was doing well in his work. He was one of the countless devotees of the Kanchi Mahaan. Once he went to have the darshan of Maha Periyava at His dwelling. He was standing in the queue and as usual was blessed with vibhuthi prasadam.

Whether it slipped when the saint gave it or did Ramaswamy Iyer draw his hands back before getting it, but the prasadam fell on the ground.

Why should I take what has fallen down, thought Ramaswamy Iyer and extended his hands again for the prasadam. What did the saint do?

“Take the prasadam from the ground”, He said. Ramaswamy Iyer then took the prasadam from the ground which had got mixed with the sand.

Why is it that the saint asked me to take the prasadam which fell on the ground? The discontent feeling of Ramaswamy Iyer did not diminish till he reached his native place.

After a few days, some lands in Thanjavur that belonged to advocate Ramaswamy Iyer came back to him after a long struggle. The advocate’s happiness could not be explained. If a property that was not intended to be “obtained’ and was in a hopeless situation was acquired who would not be happy?

In order to convey this to Kanchi Periyava and get His blessings, the advocate left immediately for the saint’s abode. Could you guess what the saint said as soon as He saw him?

“You hesitated a lot to take the prasadam from the ground, but did you get a lot of lands now?” He enquired.

Ramaswamy Iyer did not even open his mouth to tell as to why he had come!!!!

This is a clear example of the saint’s unfathomable grace which makes a way into the heart.

Author – Sri R.Venkataswamy

Source: Kanchi Mahanin Karunai Nizhalgal

Source: Jagadguru Sri Maha Periyava - Kanchi Paramacharya/Face Book

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: “I came there, did you not see me?”

The following incident was related to me by a very learned Vedic scholar from Kasi. He had gone to the Mutt to have darshan of Maha Periyava and took with him some coconuts and fruits to be placed before Maha Periyava at the time of doing namaskarams. In the long queue there was a “Siddar” magician who was empty handed. The Vedic scholar asked him if he had brought any coconuts or fruits. The magician replied, “Wait and see”. When his turn came to perform namaskarams to the Paramacharya, he waved his hands and produced a basket of fruits. Maha Periyava smiled at him and asked him how long he had practiced this art. The magician replied that he had done this for many years and saying this produced some flowers also out of the thin air! Maha Periyava smiled again and looked at the fruits and flowers. Immediately they changed form and crumbled to dust. Try as he might, the magician could not succeed. Then Maha Periyava advised him to concentrate on learning something which would be really useful to the people.

Another very moving incident was recounted to me by a doctor in 1956 when I was working in Stanley Hospital. He was a medical officer in the Indian Army fighting in Burma against the invading Japanese forces. He was wounded in the battle field and fell down, unconscious. The next thing he remembered was regaining his consciousness in the base hospital a few miles away. He asked his attendants what had happened to him. His orderly, an uneducated soldier who was accompanying the doctor said: “Sir, I was dazed when you fell down after being hit by gunfire. Suddenly a sadhu appeared in saffron clothes and asked me why are you standing doing nothing? Lift the doctor, put him on your shoulder and run to the base hospital”. So I carried you along for three miles and brought you here”.

The doctor recovered and a few months later, after the end of the war, the doctor came to have darshan of Maha Periyava and told Him that he was wounded in the battle field. Before the doctor could continue with the story, Maha Periyava told him, “I came there, did you not see me?”
I could still see the doctor’s face with tears streaming down his face as he related to me this story of how Maha Periyava saved his life.

Author: Prof S.Kalyanaraman, Neurosurgeon, Chennai

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: Kaveri Snanam

Several years ago Sri Kanchi MahaSwamigal along with His entourage visited the Thanjavur (Tanjore) district areas. It was the month of Ani (mid June-July). People from the villages of the surrounding taluks kept coming to have darshan of Sri Maha Periyava who was camping in a large dharma chatram (free choultry) at Aduturai.

The pramukhas (notables) of the villages Natarajapuram, Govindapuram, Thyagarajapuram, Sattanur, and Tirumangalakkudi surrounding Aduturai, had arranged on behalf of their places, for a Samashti Bhiksha Vandanam (collective feeding of the sage and His retinue). At a distance of about one km. from Aduturai is my native place Marutthuvakkudi village located. My father BrahmaSri Santhana Vadhyar was then the Mudradhikari of Sri Kanchi Matham of that area. On behalf of our village too he wanted a Samashti Bhiksha Vandanam to be held. The local pramukhas had agreed for this. In the morning the next day, my father started for the choultry where MahaSwamigal was camping. He took me also with him.

On seeing him, the Matha Karyasta (secretary) said, "Shastrigal aren't you the Mudradhikari of Marutthuvakkudi? Shouldn't you have the Bhiksha in your place one day? You have it on the coming Sunday possibly?" My father said forthwith, "I too came over here to have it fixed. We shall have it on the Sunday." He asked the Karyasta, "Approximately what will our expenses be?"
The Karyasta said with a smile, "I will tell you. You should remit two hundred and fifty rupees as the kanikkai (offering) to the Matham. Then your expenses of buying coconuts, fruits, vegetables and so on. After everything is over, when receiving prasadam from Acharyal, pada samarpanai (offering at feet) as convenient to your village. All said it might take rupees five or six hundred for your expenses." And he asked, "Won't there be enough collection at your place?"

With no hesitation my father said, "Besha Ayidum (will be accomplished well)". He continued with eagerness, "That's alright, but how much do the people of other places offer as Pada samarpanai?" "From five hundred to a thousand they do it", said the Karyasta. My father lapsed into deep consideration.

When we had darshan of Acharyal within a short while, we prostrated to him and got up. My father informed MahaSwamigal about the Bhiksha Vandanam. "Besha Nadakkattume (May it take place well)", MahaSwamigal gave anugraha. "Are there tanikal (rich men) in our place who can do it Ekadesham (alone)?" he asked.Lowering his tone, my father said, "Three or four persons are there. Among them, two or three had now gone to Madras. The uddeshah (thinking) is that we all get together in the village and do Bhiksha Vandanam for Periyava." He prayed, "Acharyal should give anugraha." Smiling, Swamigal raised both His hands and blessed him.

There were only four days for the coming Sunday. My father started the collection. In the three Agraharams together, there are about 30 houses. The collection was over by Thursday evening. 400 rupees had been collected. My father and the other Vaidikas in the village submitted another hundred rupees. Thus the total collection amounted to rupees 500! It was just enough for the Bhiksha Vandanam.

Only for Periyava’s Pada Samarpanai, money was required. It was my father's wish that at least five hundred rupees must be offered. He did not sleep well that night.on Friday! We went to have darshan of Acharyal. Sitting in a thatched shed in the choultry, MahaSwamigal was giving darshan. The crowd surged like a wave. At a distance, in a corner, joining our palms, we prostrated towards the direction Swamigal was seated. I looked at my father. His face was soaked in worry. His worry was whatever could be done for the Pada Samarpanai.

Suddenly a voice full of compassion: "Santhanam! Come near. Why are you standing there?" Laughing and gesturing, Acharyal beckoned him near. We both went near Him, prostrated in shastaangam and got up. "What Santhanam, yesterday you were not seen here at all! Any joli (work) in your place?" MahaSwamigal inquired.

"Nothing of that sort Periyava. Aren't we doing Bhiksha Vandanam on behalf of our place this Sunday? On that account I was making some arrangements, that's all." Before my father could finish, Swamigal interrupted and asked, "That's alright Santhanam, the laukikams (collection) were completed as expected?" with a laugh. My father hesitated to reply to this.

Before he could open his mouth to say something, as if Swamigal had understood something,
"Worry about nothing! By the krupa (compassion) of ChandraMouleeswara, things will happen as you have thought about them", Swamigal fondled him with words.

Contd..../2

Contd.../2

Suddenly, "Why Santhanam in the Kaveri river in this place, are there plenty of waters flowing now, you know about it?" He asked. Everyone was confused as to why Periyava should inquire about the Kaveri waters.

“It is flowing in plenty Periyavaa", said my father. Periyava did not leave him at that.

"Alright, when did you last go for your Kaveri snanam (bath)?"

"A week ago Periyava!” my father replied.

"Let it be. Is there much water flowing now, you know about it?" This is Periyava.
A local Anbar (devotee) present there said with humility, "I had gone for the Kaveri snanam this morning. A fair amount of water is flowing Periyava."

MahaSwamigal was not convinced with that. "Flowing fairly means... not understandable! Does it flow so one can immerse and do snanam, I should know about it", He said.

Looking at my father, He continued, "Santhanam, you do one karyam. Go for Kaveri snanam at dawn tomorrow morning. Have a look and tell me if enough tirtham (water) flows for bathing with good immersion." Saying this, He suddenly got up and went inside! We returned to our place thinking that Periyava was asking all these details for His own immersed bath in Kaveri.

It dawned on Saturday! There was a slight drizzle. In accordance with Periyava's orders, we went for the Kaveri snanam. It was then seven o' clock in the morning. Apart from me and my father on the banks, there was nobody not a single fly or crow. Taking bath my father said, "Waters are flowing enough for taking a good, immersed bath! Should go and tell Periyava."

Then he started saying the Kaveri snana sankalpam in a loud tone. Suddenly, from the banks was heard a clear and loud voice: "Sastrigal! Please stay awhile. I too shall join you. Kindly do the snana sankalpam for me too. There will be punyam for you!" We both turned and looked. A man who could be estimated to be of 55 years of age was descending into the waters. A face that was not familiar at all! Finishing the sankalpa snanam we climbed up to the banks. Changing his clothes, that man gave my father five rupees towards snana sankalpa dakshina (ritual gift). My father inquired about him.

He started saying: "For me too our purvikam (ancestry) is only Maruthuvakudi. My maternal grandfather too is from the same place. For my paternal grandfather Venkatachalam Aiyar, there was an own house in Marutthuvakkudi. After my grandfather, none of us remained here. We went to Bombay. Melur Chandramouleeswara Swami near Tiruneelakkudi is our kula deivam. 'Whenever you went by the side of our place and had snanam in Aduturai Kaveri, my mother often used to ponder. I got that bhagyam only today. I am going to Thanjavur in connection with a family legal case. Now having got Kaveri snanam with sankalpam, I have much trupti (satisfaction)!"Then he asked, "Sastrigal I witnessed as I climbed down from the train. Many people in madisar and pancha kaccham are moving in throngs. What is the vishesham here?"My father elaborated to him about Acharyal's vijayam and the grama bhiksha vandanam. He was very happy to hear about it. "Even to listen to it gives happiness. There is this nirbandham (constraint) for me not to participate in the Bhiksha Vandanam for the loka guru done on behalf of our place. Still, as an offer from our family, please include this amount too in the Bhiksha Vandanam." Saying this, he prostrated to my father, and handed over an envelope to him. My father could understand nothing. He opened the envelope and saw. There were 500 rupees inside it!"I shall take leave Sastrigal", my father stopped the man who was just leaving. "Your namadeyam (name)?” he asked the man. The answer he gave:

"Chandramouli". We both stood amazed.

Then we went straight to the choultry. Periyava was not there. They said He had gone to Govindapuram Sri Bodhendraal Matham. As my father went to the Matham Karyasta and said, "Periyava asked me to check if enough water is flowing in Kaveri for an immersed bath." Before he could finish, the secretary said, "Periyava returned at four around dawn time this morning finishing His Kaveri snanam", giving it a grand finale. Our amazement grew!

It was Sunday. The Bhiksha Vandanam was over. All of us in the village prostrated to Periyava. My father submitted that 500 rupees as Pada Samarpanai in a plate full of fruits. Looking keenly at that fruit plate for a while, Swamigal said laughing, "What Santhanam! Isn't your wish fulfilled by the krupa of Chandramouleeswara?"

All of us stood amazed and fell shastaangam before Periyava.

As narrated by a devotee who hails from Maruthuvakudi.

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: You Build the Temple

I was in Tiruvannamalai in my young age. Our house was near the foothill. One Maami used to teach us song and dance and would ask us to sing before Ramana Maharshi. We would sing and dance before him, going in circles. He would never talk, only have a look with his eyes. After I was married, a relative told me, "Have you seen Kumbakonam Swamy,Maha tapasvi, go and have darshan once." Periyaval at that time had the name 'Kumbakonam Swamy'. My husband and I came to Kanchipuram to have darshan, but we were told that Periyava had gone out somewhere. We went to three or four nearby villages, but could not see Him in those places. I was yearning for His darshan.

Only when Periyava had come to Madras, we could have his darshan. At the first sight of him I thought, "He looks typically like Ramana Maharshi. What tejas in those eyes!" Periyava was keenly looking at me.

Since then, we have been having darshan of Periyava for the last 50 years. If my husband had work, we would come on a Sunday and return the same day after darshan. One Sunday, when Periyava was in Sivasthanam, we came for His darshan. Some sumangalis (women who have their husbands alive) were talking amongst themselves loudly and happily. When inquired, one Maami said, "Periyava asks us to build a temple. Will you join?" We gave our immediate consent.

We prostrated to Periyava and told Him about the news. Periyava asked Rajappa Gurukkal who was near Him to show us the Sivalingams. Of the four Lingams we had a look, the Sevilimedu Lingam lingered in our minds. It was a large Lingam. When we said to Periyava, "We had a look at four Lingams", He immediately said, "You build the temple for the Sevilimedu Lingam." Whatever way He came to know of what I had in mind? Later when we started with the arrangements, He asked us to have one Sri Nagarajan of Kanchipuram for assisting us. My husband would come every Saturday and Sunday and buy the things required for building the temple.

Suddenly one day Periyava started on a yatra. I was very eager that Periyava should perform in the kumbhabhishekha of our temple. But we were told that Periyava was leaving for the North and it was not certain when He would return.

Sri Muthiah Stapati carved the Avudayar (the base of a Lingam), but we built only the sanctum sanctorum. Since Periyava had gone on yatra we could not perform the kumbhabhishekham.

I would daily go to the Shiva temple (BharatIswarar temple), light a lamp and go round nine times with the prayers that Periyava should come for our kumbhabhishekham. Meantime we visited the North and had darshan of Periyava. He was at that time in Mahagaon. When He saw us He said, "Conduct the temple kumbhabhishekham." I parayed to Him, "Only Periyava should come and do the kumbhabhishekham." He smiled and gave me the directions, "You visit all the doorsteps here, get some rice and wheat telling the householders that they are for my sake and send them to wherever I happen to stay." Then He looked at my husband and said, "You can't come yourself. Send them through Joshi." I was doing as ordered without break.

Because of everyone's prayer, Periyava came to Kanchi. On the day He reached there, we went to Him with a proposed kumbhabhishekham date. He gave His anugraha. When we came out, we were told that there was another kumbhabhishekham in Sivasthanam and that Periyavaa would visit only that and not ours. We went back and told this news to Periyava, but He asked us to conduct it on the same date.

Contd.../2

Contd.../2

The kumbhabhishekham day came. Ours was a simple ceremony with an expense of 6,000 to 7,000 rupees. They were doing it with a large sum of one lakh rupees. My mind was in a flutter that He should come. I was doing the smarana the whole night, constantly repeating to myself the words, 'Periyava should come', 'Periyava should come'. Before going to the temple in the morning when I went to have His darshan, He told me of everything I was thinking the whole of previous night. I was in a spiritual tingle.

Just seven people were there in our kumbhabhishekham. When we were almost done, and was about to pour the water in the holy pot over Swami, a boy came up running and cried, "Periyava is coming!" He literally came running, His feet going red in the hot sun of the Chitra month, took over the pot from us and did the abhishekam Himself. With Periyava, about a thousand people had gathered in our place. With many cars and vans on the queue, our kumbhabhishekham took place in a very grand manner--what grace we had! Even when writing this, my eyes pour water. He named the Swami Kailasa Nathar and did His bhiksha inside the sanctum and showed me 'I am the God!'

Since then, we used to do abhishekam for Kailasa Nathar and submit the prasada to Him. If one of us did not make it to Him, he would inquire the reason therefore.

Whenever I had mental suffering, He would come in my dream and say, "Why do you grieve when I am with you here?" Once when He came to Neyveli I was made a volunteer for the time of His pujas. One day I was standing alone. He called me and asked, "What would you want?" I did not know what to reply to that. I just thought that it was enough if I could have a perennial look at Him. He gave me His anugraha with a gesture of His hand and gave me kumkumam. My friends told me that I missed a good chance and should have asked to be blessed with a child.

It was ten years since I was married. In this way, Periyava used to give me anugraha of what I had in mind, but I wouldn't be able to orally ask Him anything when I stood before Him. He would of course know everything about me.

In the meantime, Periyava asked the then Minister Hon. Veerappan to arrange for the structural extension our temple. A committee was formed and the kumbhabhishekham was supposed to be held by a notable in the place. When the kumbhabhishekham date was fixed, I went to Periyava and asked what I should do about it. He said "Do nothing; just continue with it." Thinking why Periyava said like that I went back to my place. The kumbhabhishekham was on the 5th day of the Thai month. The Sankranti festival was over and on the day of Kanu we were sitting after our meals. A SriMatham assistant came and said, "Pudu Periyavaa wants you two to come immediately." When we rushed to meet him, he said, "Only you are doing the kumbhabhishekham. Come tomorrow. Get the anugraha of Periyaval and go." We were very happy. My husband said that it was not possible for him to withdraw the money at that time. He said he would make arrangements for the money and asked us to come on the morrow. He also said, "Periyava's health is not very good. Do not disturb Him. Myself and Bala Periyavaa will come and perform your kumbhabhishekham."

On the day of the kumbhabhishekham, we prostrated to Periyaval and took leave. I just thought inside my mind. 'When we built a small room, Periyava came to bless us. Now when this temple has been extended Periyava is not able to come.'

What a wonder! The Periyavaas came and performed the kumbhabhishekham as assured and gave us prasadam. The crowd dispersed. When we just thought of taking some prasadam as food, Maha Periyava came to the temple at that advanced age. I was apprehensive that Pudu Periyavaa might chide me, but nothing of that sort happened.

Later when we inquired, we learnt that the 'notable' who was to have conducted the kumbhabhishekham was out of station, so we had the bhagyam (fortune). In this way, Periyava has done a lot of anugraha for us.

Author: Jamba Nagasamy, Chennai (in Tamil)
Source: Maha Periyaval - Darisana Anubhavangal - Vol. 4

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: Sorry, Uncle!

There is an organisation in America called the Paul Brunton mission, extolling the British journalist who came to see the Sages here. Brunton had Sri Maha Periyava’s darshan and on his advice went to Ramana Maharishi whose gracious glance he received. Every year the students who were members of this association, would visit Kanchipuram and stay on for 10 or 15 days, immersing themselves in Periyava’s blissful darshan.

The Group had come as usual one year. One day, Periyava was seated under the Night-flowering jasmine (Pavazhamalli) tree, which used to be in SriMatham in those days and was giving them the darshan. Periyava was sitting with his eyes closed. The American boys were seated around Periyava with their eyes closed in meditation. It was very silent, not a whisper anywhere. The attendants Balu Mama and Vedapuri Mama moved away and came out of SriMatham. A car came to stop there. A middle-aged couple and their three children got down. It was clear from the clothes they wore that the children were thoroughly westernised. They looked at Balu Mama and Vedapuri Mama who were standing there. Old, discoloured dhoties, hair knotted in a tuft, stripes of sacred ash, rudraksha beads around their neck. The ultra-modern kids found them amusing. “Who are these ancients? Some saints around here it seems? Wonder if he too is like this? Dirty people….uncivilised…..fools….. beggars…..who are they?”

Balu Mama and Vedapuri Mama went away listening to all this. The family of five went in and sat before Periyava. The parents too had never seen Periyava before. They had come shopping for Kanchipuram silk sarees and on their way back thought of dropping in at SriMatham for a short while. But, what were these foreign boys doing around Periyava? Sitting with legs folded, eyes closed and meditating? The Indian children from America began to hold whispered conversation with the American children from America.

Where have you come from? What's special here? How many days is it since you came here?
One of the American boys replied enthusiastically. “We came here with just one purpose. Periyava’s darshan. We come just for that. We believe that he is the incarnation of God. Seeing Him invigorates our soul. It will stay on throughout our lives. This is our good fortune.”

The Indian Children from abroad now saw the light. “Aha! Here are these American boys coming to see the Indian Saint and here are we Indians, knowing nothing about this Saint….What a shame!”
Periyava broke his silence. He made kind enquiries to the couple and their children. The children watched Periyava without batting an eyelid. Some kind of alchemy took place. The children resolved, “From now on, when we come to India, we will not go back without this Saint’s darshan”.

When the family came out of SriMatham after receiving prasadam, they spotted Balu Mama and Vedapuri Mama once again. The same old, dirty beggars! But after Periyava’s darshan, they were not dirty any more. The three children said in one voice, “Sorry Uncle!” Beggars before Periyava’s darshan become Uncle after meeting his gracious glance.

Narrated by an attendant at SriMatham

Source: Maha Periyaval Darisana Anubhavangal Vol 3

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: Give grass, the sins will go away!

A rich devotee sent a friend in his car to an outstation on an errand of his. Unfortunately, there was an accident on the way causing heavy damage to the car, and the friend passed away immediately.

There was no end to the grief this caused to the devotee. His remorse that a family lost its head because of him did not let him rest in peace. He donated plenty of cash to the family, but then how would the cash compensate their loss?

The devotee was in doubt if the Brahmahatya dosha (the sin of killing a Brahman) had befallen him.

There was no way to share his mental anguish with anyone and seek shastra pramana (scriptural authority) consultations.

So he came to the supreme authority.

Sri Maha Periyava patiently listened to everything the devotee told him. Then he said, "The car accident was predestined. There is no bad intention in your thoughts. Somehow, your mind is now burdened with restlessness. Besides, you are also at the receiving end of the society's accusation.

"To start with, you do Sethu snanam (bathing in the sea waters at Rameswaram). Get up before the sunrise and give grass to a cow that goes in the street, have daily Shiva darshan and do pradakshina in the temple, eat only one meal a day. Do all these things, and the guilt and sin will go away from you."

Satisfied, the devotee received the prasadam, but stood hesitant.

Periyava's look asked him "What other doubt have you got?"

"All the other things can be done, but it does not seem possible to give grass to a cow. I am in a city where cows don't go around the streets in the mornings."

Pat came the reply. "So what? There will be a goshala (cow shed) somewhere around? You have a car. Get up at five in the morning, go by car to the goshala and feed all the cows in the shed with grass."

The devotee was fully consoled, his sorrow giving way to peace.

Source: Maha Periyaval Darisana Anubhavangal

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

"காவேரிப்பட்டணம் போஸ்ட் மாஸ்டர்.." என்று அடி எடுத்துக் கொடுக்க, மகான் புன்முறுவலுடன் அவரை கைகளினால் ஆசீர்வதித்து, “பரத்வாஜ கோத்திரம் என்றார்!”
காஞ்சி பெரியவா ..

தர்மபுரி மாவட்டத்தில் கிருஷ்ணகிரிக்கு அடுத்த ஊர் காவேரிப்பட்டணம். 1944-ம் ஆண்டு மகா பெரியவா அங்கே முகாமிட்டிருந்தார. ஒரு மாத காலமாக மகான் அங்கே தங்கியிருந்தபோது நித்திய நிகழ்ச்சிகளில் தினந்தோறும், ஊர் பொதுமக்கள், பக்தர்கள், பிரபலங்கள், அரசாங்க அலுவலர்கள் போன்றோர் தவறாமல் பங்கேற்பது உண்டு.

இந்தக் கும்பலில் அஞ்சல்துறை அதிகாரி கோபால கிருஷ்ணனும் ஒருவர். மெத்தப் படித்தவர். காஞ்சி மகான் மீது அளவுகடந்த பக்தி கொண்டவர். அதனால் காவேரிப்பட்டணத்திஅதிகாரியாகப் பணியாற்றிக் கொண்டு இருந்தபோது ஓயுவு நேரத்தில், மடத்துக் காரியங்களிலும் தன்னை ஈடுபடுத்திக் கொண்டார். அதனால் மகானின் நேர் பார்வையிலும் பலமுறை தென்படக் கூடிய வாய்ப்பு அவருக்குக் கிடைத்த்து. அதுவே பெரிய பாக்கியமல்லவா? தான் அல்லும் பகலும் போற்றும் தெய்வம் தன்னைப் பார்க்கிரார் என்பதே, அருள் பெற்றது போலத்தானே?

சில தினங்களில் மகான் வேறு ஊருக்கு தனது முகாமை மாற்றிக் கொண்டார்.

இது நடந்து பல வருடங்களுக்குப் பின், மகான் வேறு ஓர் இடத்தில் முகாமிட்டிருந்தார. நிறைய பக்தர்கள் வரிசையாக ஆசி பெற்றுச் சென்றவண்ணம் இருந்தனர். அந்த வரிசையில் நின்றவர்களில் அஞ்சல் அதிகாரி கோபால கிருஷ்ணனும் ஒருவர். ஓவ்வொருவராக நகர்ந்தபின், இவர் முறையும் வந்தது. நமஸ்காரம் செய்தபின் தீர்த்ததுக்காக தன் கையை நீட்டினார்.
தீர்த்தம் கொடுக்கும் முன், மகான் திடீரென நிமிர்ந்து பார்த்தார். ஏதோ கேள்வி கேட்கும் பாவனையில் கண்களைச் சுரிக்கி இவரைப் பார்த்தார்.

எதையோ ஞாபகத்துக்குக் கொண்டு வருகிறார் என்று நினைத்த அதிகார், “காவேரிப்பட்டணம் போஸ்ட் மாஸ்டர்.." என்று அடி எடுத்துக் கொடுக்க, மகான் புன்முறுவலுடன் அவரை கைகளினால் ஆசீர்வதித்து, “பரத்வாஜ கோத்திரம்!” என்றார்.

இரண்டே வினாடிகளில் இந்த சந்திப்பு நிகழ்ந்துவிட்டது என்றாலும், அதிகாரிக்கு ஆனந்தம் தாங்கவில்லை.

அவ்வளவு கும்பலிலும் தன்னைக் கைதூக்கி ஆசீர்வதித்து தனது கோத்திரத்தை மறக்காமல் சொன்னார் என்றால், ஒவ்வொரு பக்தனின் சரித்திரத்தையும் அவர் ஞாபகம் வைத்துக் கொண்டு இருக்கிறார் என்றுதானே அர்த்தம்?

பெரியவா சரணம் !!

Experiences with Maha Periyava: Foresight….Be Patient…You will know what is correct!

It was at the time of the establishment of Nanganallur Anjaneya Swamy temple and the construction works of the temple was being carried out in the beginning of 1993.

A lot of devotees were visiting the temple.

At that time, one day I went to have the Darshan of Sri Maha Periyava to seek His blessings. I prostrated before Him and paid my obeisance. MahaSwamigal knows me and about the construction of the temple. “Stay blessed. I have heard from many people who are coming here about the news of people thronging at your temple. Being a giant sized Anjaneyar, He must have had a great Aakarshana Shakthi” (the power of attracting the masses).

Blessing me, He asked me with concern,” He is quite a big Swamy. Don’t you have to offer Him a lot of Prasadam to eat?” At once I replied,” We cook a big bag of rice and offer Him every day Periyava.”

“Just plain rice?”

“No Periyava. We prepare Chithraannams (mixed Rice) and offer Him.”

“What are the items you are preparing?”

“From morning onwards we make a variety of Ven Pongal, Sakkarai Pongal (Jaggery rice), Puliyodharai, (Tamarind Rice), Milahorai (Pepper Rice), Curd Rice etc. in an order, Periyava.”

“So a lot of devotees are coming to get all these?”

“An extraordinary number turn in everyday Periyava. All the items are used up daily,” I replied
proudly.

Periyava was silent for some time. Then He asked,” Are you giving the Prasadam in small quantity or large quantity?”

I replied to Swamigal with a lot of pride,” We give them a piece of plantain leaf and offer them a lot, Periyava”

At once MahaSwamigal asked,” I heard of it from people who come here. Let me ask you one thing. Should the Prasadam be given in small quantity as Prasadam or should it be given as meals in plenty?” The question came eagerly.

I didn’t know how to reply this.

I was standing there confused.

The great saint said laughing, “Why are standing awestruck? I’m asking you this question, only to get an idea about it myself,” He asked again.

I replied humbly with some hesitation,” No Periyava, the devotees visiting the temple are coming from far off places. They might be hungry. That’s why we are offering the Prasadam in plenty….,” even before I could complete the sentence, Swamigal replied, “I could understand what you are thinking. But I feel Prasadam should be given in small quantity as Prasadam and the hungry masses can be fed properly by making them sit and have their meals.” He stopped and continued to say, “Though all our Vedas and Sastras have laid down many rules for the Do’s and Don’ts, many things in life can be comprehended only by personal experience,” He said in a non-committal way and I couldn’t get it properly.

I asked confusedly.” I don’t understand Periyava, which is right? Should the Prasadam be given less or more? You have to guide me in this,” I requested humbly.

“No, no. You will know which is right from your own personal experience. Till then, be patient,” the great saint had seen me off without letting out the answer.

Presently I am constructing a temple at Panchavadi, situated on the way from Pondichery to Dindivanam, for a 36 foot high Panchamukha Anjaneya Swamy. Construction work is being carried out now. It is customary here too, to give a plantain leaf to the devotees and give away Prasadam to their heart’s full. Sometimes I myself used to undertake the job of giving it. Recently one day I was giving away the Prasadams in large quantity as usual. I was distributing Kadhambam (Sambar Rice) in one leaf and Curd Rice in another leaf. A few of the men sitting nearby and tasting them, approached me. One among them told me seriously,” You are giving Sambar Rice and Curd Rice in large quantity and they are all very tasty too. But then, we would like to suggest one thing. It would be better still if you could offer some Poriyal (a side dish) to the Sambar Rice and a hot pickle for Curd Rice.” I was flabbergasted by it. At once the everlasting sentence of the great Foreseer of Kanchi uttered in 1993 flashed through my mind.

“No, no. You will know which is right from your own personal experience. Till then, be patient.”

I have learnt the truth that ‘Prasadam should be given as Prasadam only, in small quantity,’ from this personal experience.

Author: Sri Ramani Anna
Source: Maha Periyavar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back