• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How did vali, the vanara king and manifestation of indra, was a terror to demon ravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
having said the above, i still respect those who feel rama is god head and rama should be treated with respect. from this aspect alone, i was dismayed when periyar slapped some slippers on rama picture and paraded it in the streets of erode.

very wisely periyarists avoided any insult to muruga, pillaiyaar or maadasaamy.
i heard it was a garland of slippers on a Rama idol...

Sir, there are temples for Rama in tamil nadu...not as many as Shiva but there are temples associated with ramayana legends. Madhurantakam and Valvil Rama of Kumbakonam come to my mind...Kamba Ramayana was afterall part of tamil literature in the 12th century AD...

Dunno how far true but am told evr did this atrocity mainly to prove that he was not partial to vaishnavism, since marimalai adigal used to accuse evr of going soft on vaishnavism..I saw some info on that here also -- Maraimalai Adigal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I beleive Rama is an object of devotion in tamil Hinduism of Jaffna...please correct me if wrong.

Vivek Style: ada paavi... ada paavi... andha amma aasaya vilayaada ketta maana pOyi vaththa kozhambu vekka kettaanganu solreengale... unga karpanaikku oru alave illayadaa ?!?!?!

காட்டிலெ மொதமொதல்லெ நொழஞ்சு இரண்டாவது நாளே அனேகம் மான்களை கொன்றதாக வால்மீகி ராமாயணத்தில் சொல்லப்பட்டிருக்கிறது. 2-55-33

the oldest known siva lingam (as of today) is of parashurama (parashurameshwara) in the form of shiva in gudimallam.

here is an image of it -- Around Tirupati - Gudimallam - A Lingam like no other! - Lonely Planet

this parashurama does not wear a poonul either. he was worshipped by the pallavas, banas and cholas.

was searching for a properly documented history of this parashurama on the web...and found this to be the most authentic (ASI slab): http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bbnzEBMfX...SREE+PARUSURAMESWARA+SWAMY+TEMPLE-HISTORY.JPG

Happy,

There is reason to believe that "parasu" rama refers to some person described as parasu; may be it was a man from paaraseekam (parsi?) The Hudimallam Parasurama has a band around his waist (looks like a snake - may have been to show his superhuman status) similar to the Kushti which is as mandatory for the Parsis as poonal for tabras.

Sir, there are temples for Rama in tamil nadu...not as many as Shiva but there are temples associated with ramayana legends. Madhurantakam and Valvil Rama of Kumbakonam come to my mind...Kamba Ramayana was afterall part of tamil literature in the 12th century AD...

Dunno how far true but am told evr did this atrocity mainly to prove that he was not partial to vaishnavism, since marimalai adigal used to accuse evr of going soft on vaishnavism..I saw some info on that here also -- Maraimalai Adigal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I beleive Rama is an object of devotion in tamil Hinduism of Jaffna...please correct me if wrong.

In those times Rama represented the Aryan dominance over the Dravidian Tamils. We should bear that sentiment also in mind.

Happy,

There is reason to believe that "parasu" rama refers to some person described as parasu; may be it was a man from paaraseekam (parsi?) The Hudimallam Parasurama has a band around his waist (looks like a snake - may have been to show his superhuman status) similar to the Kushti which is as mandatory for the Parsis as poonal for tabras.
This Parashurama is the one who killed his mother Renuka at the behest of his father Jamadagni. The tale is mentioned here: Mysterious saga of a 2,200-year-old lingam Ancient Temple : The Megalithic Portal and Megalith Map:

According to this link the cord around the waist is a vastra-mekhala. The system of wearing a string around the waist seems quite common in various communities. In some telugu non-brahmin communities the men have to remove the waist-string and shave hair off the head and face if there is death in the family. Generally the wife in such communities breaks her bangles and removes her thali both of which she never wears after becoming a widow. I suppose the waist-cord is also some religious symbol. Dunno if maybe this could indicate an ancient link with a zoarashtrian past.

i would imagine, it is more to taunt the tambrams, as other communities, even if they venerated rama, would consider periyar, more a reformer, whose actions benefitted them economically and socially.

at the expense of the tambrams.

from what i have seen, almost all tambram households give prominence to rama, including mine own. along with siva and lakshmi and saraswati. rama is a common factor of devotion between iyers and iyengars. periyar, in one stroke, could injure two birds.

dont know if DK has the guts or public support to do such stuff today.

when the slipper procession happened, it was a non issue in tamil nadu. most papers including tamil mainstream ignored it. probably except viduthalai. MK was ruling then, and he would not raise his hands against periyar. not sure what anndurai would have done if he had been alive. anna was more polished and had greater sensitivities to religious feelings.

Zoroastrianism /ˌzɒrˈæstriənɪzəm/ (or Mazdaism) is a religion and philosophy based on the teachings of prophet Zoroaster (also known as Zarathustra, in Avestan) and was formerly among the world's largest religions. It was probably founded some time before the 6th century BCE in Greater Iran.

Parsurama avtar was at time of treta yug, during Rama avatar.
Treta Yuga or Silver Age From 4100 AD for 3,600 years.

I know dates are always suspect but to link Parsurama with Zoroastrians is a stretch.

IMO there is no link to put Parasurama after 6th century bce.

siva,

since when have deer been domesticated to become playtoys?

rama went after the deer with his arrows and bow, and not with a net.
K, there is no dispute that the mythical Rama eat meat, but in this case of the maya maan, the intention was to capture it alive and keep it as play animal. Here is from a translation of Valmiki Ramayana the words spoken by Sita to Rama:

"And when our woodland life is o'er,
And we enjoy our realm once more,
The wondrous animal will grace
The chambers of my dwelling-place,
"

Kampan also states the deer was meant to be a playmate. Sita says to Rama that this deer is ideal as a playmate when it becomes tedious here (அவதி எய்த பெற்றுழி இனிது உண்டாடப் பெறற்கு அருந்த்தகைத்து)

....from this aspect alone, i was dismayed when periyar slapped some slippers on rama picture and paraded it in the streets of erode.
The primary mission of EVR was to rescue Tamil population from superstitions and backward thinking. Much of this was, and still is, rooted in the practices that can be traced to Brahminical supremacy in matters of religion and god. So, for EVR, demystifying the gods Brahmins hold as supreme was the most dramatic way to shake the masses out from their stupor and free them from the clutches of superstitions.

Unfortunately, EVR failed in this effort. On the one hand the masses were thrilled with the anti-Brahminism rhetoric of EVR, they lapped it all up with delight, but on the other hand, they were not ready to give up on their superstitions.

Irony of ironies, now EVR has been elevated to the status of god among the general public, like Gauthama Buddha was. It is not out of the realm of possibilities that one day Brahmins will co-opt this sentiment and count him as an avathara of Vishnu, like Buddha, who came to earth to teach falsehood to evil people.

Cheers!

p.s. I am sure the views I have expressed on EVR will agitate the usual suspects and they will want to set me right. I have them on my "no read" list, so, go ahead and unburden, in the sure knowledge that it won't be read by me, much less responded to.

The primary mission of EVR was to rescue Tamil population from superstitions and backward thinking. Much of this was, and still is, rooted in the practices that can be traced to Brahminical supremacy in matters of religion and god. So, for EVR, demystifying the gods Brahmins hold as supreme was the most dramatic way to shake the masses out from their stupor and free them from the clutches of superstitions.

Al quida's original mission was to liberate Afghanistan. It got astray and now they are the worst criminals in the world. Does it make them venerable. EVR to brahmins was very similar. I suspect EVR's original mission was to get attention for himself at the expense of Brahmins. It was a political gambit and nothing more.

http://www.tamilbrahmins.com/general-discussions/3940-reservation-brahmins-28.html post#275 Silverfox refuted EVR.

"You know I have always supported you in your views about a casteless society and against 'brahminism'. However, I cannot, in all conscience, agree with your glorification of EV Ramasamy Naicker. I am amazed to see you praising him without also criticizing his evil and goonda activities; he called Tamil as a barbaric language ('kaatumirandi baazhai'); he advocated fornication, went around breaking statues of Hindu Gods idols. Believe me, when I was 15 years old, I didn't know anything about 'brahminism'; yet, all i knew was the terror he was spreading and the evil things he did against all brahmins. You cannot tell me that he was doing that for social justice. Just because he was insulted by some brahmins in Varanasi, he had this axe to grind against all brahmins."

http://tamilbrahmins.wordpress.com/category/christian-menace-of-conversion/
"The anti-Hindu Dravidian politics which developed around the hate-filled cult of ‘Periyar’ EV Ramaswami Naicker’s Self Respect Movement in the erstwhile Madras Presidency is therefore only an Abrahamic heretic clone."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Periyar_E._V._Ramasamy"Periyar is also held responsible for making controversial statements on the Tamil language, Dalits and Brahmins and for endorsing violence against Brahmins."EVR was Anti-India to that extent he was similar to Jinna or Bhiderwal.

Last edited:
Zoroastrianism /ˌzɒrˈæstriənɪzəm/ (or Mazdaism) is a religion and philosophy based on the teachings of prophet Zoroaster (also known as Zarathustra, in Avestan) and was formerly among the world's largest religions. It was probably founded some time before the 6th century BCE in Greater Iran.

Parsurama avtar was at time of treta yug, during Rama avatar.
Treta Yuga or Silver Age From 4100 AD for 3,600 years.

I know dates are always suspect but to link Parsurama with Zoroastrians is a stretch.

IMO there is no link to put Parasurama after 6th century bce.

Parasu means 'Axe', and Parasurama supporters of the Solar Dynasty/Ayodhya/Rama. The western ghats were ruled by the SomaVamshi/Lunar dynasties, and these Hihaya kings were fought and lands captured by Parasurama. Parasurama may have been the cause for the land ownerships of Kerala/Konkani Brahmins.

Puru and Yadu were the Chandra Vamsis, Purus ruled the Punjab side, whose descendants may be Porus. The parsis, persians, and the zorasters could be their descendants.

Persian/Zorastrian must be their degraded understanding of Vedas. The Srousha (conscience) and Ahura Mazda (God) represents the Sarawathi and the Brahma of Vedas. Their Agni Hotram is Atash Behram. Hindu Zorastrians from Turkmenistan and Iran, when Iran was occupied by Arabs, they settled down south in Gujarat (as Parsees) with the grant of King Rana.

Atash Behram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Indian Diversity Zoroastrians The People Of Iran - YouTube

Last edited:
i would imagine, it is more to taunt the tambrams, as other communities, even if they venerated rama, would consider periyar, more a reformer, whose actions benefitted them economically and socially.

at the expense of the tambrams.

from what i have seen, almost all tambram households give prominence to rama, including mine own. along with siva and lakshmi and saraswati. rama is a common factor of devotion between iyers and iyengars. periyar, in one stroke, could injure two birds.

dont know if DK has the guts or public support to do such stuff today.

when the slipper procession happened, it was a non issue in tamil nadu. most papers including tamil mainstream ignored it. probably except viduthalai. MK was ruling then, and he would not raise his hands against periyar. not sure what anndurai would have done if he had been alive. anna was more polished and had greater sensitivities to religious feelings.
Sir, please take into consideration that Rama is a tutelary deity for balijas, the social group to which EVR belonged. Some claim to be Raghukula. Am told the Balijas built temples for Anjaneyar, Rama, Krishna, Narasimha and Perumal / Vishnu whereever they went. To attack the God of one's own community is like making a statement. Which is what EVR did.

I suppose EVR proved his point, and showed he was not partial, as alleged by the supporters of Marimalai adigal. However, the act was seen as heresy and blasphemous by telugu NBs. I beleive sections of tamil NBs also saw it that way.

People detested being put down as shudras, their grouse was with varnas, but they were not anti-god and anti-religion. The political atheism of EVR was far too much for anyone to digest.

I too feel why should people give up their gods and their religion, after all it belongs to them as much as it belongs to brahmins or anyone else. I beleive peaceful interaction continued to exist despite all this.

Please also take into consideration that JP members were drawn from the wealthy sections, ie, those who had something to loose. Rich people are generally bothered about their social standing. Being dubbed shudras may have additionally affected them through the hindu personal law also.

The vast majority who were poor had nothing to loose. Also, from my mom's pov, the vast majority of brahmins (both iyer and iyengar) were not at all the sort to demean anyone (though stray incidences may have existed in non-urban areas).

I feel differences between B and NBFC (that is, those who considered themselves NB forward caste) existed at the high level (at the level of courts, lawyers, politics), but was non-existant / rare in the middle-class and poorer sections (or maybe initially atleast it could have been that way). Even amongst those who were well off, there were 2 sections. One was politically aware and the other was not quite bothered. I shall give my mom as an example.

My mom had no idea that something called anti-brahmanism existed until she went to college. Even then, it was somethng that happened "outside" (outside home that is). Mom's childhood was the secluded sort. She studied in a telugu medium school, interacted with very few limited people. A small transistor radio was a luxury restricted to her father whose interaction with his kids was a big zero.

Many brahmins, both iyers and iyengars, used to stay in the front portion of mom's father's house. They lived in a crowded area where space was scarce and agraharams were full. So brahmins who came from other parts of the state would work during day times and stay in their house after dusk. Due to their SSV past, mom's family had retained continous interaction with brahmins.

Mom's family was Vaishnavite but went to Pillaiyar koils. They also worshipped Gauri / Parvathy / Narayani (as the sister of Narayana) whose temple priests were invariably iyer saivite. Much later, the family developed a broad outlook and went to Shivan koils also, although prayers for Shiva did not happen within the household until mom married and experienced change of lifestyle. These were people who were not affected by the politics and differences of B and NB all the way -- such people also existed / exist.

Regards.

Last edited:
.....I suppose EVR proved his point and showed he is not partial, as alleged by the supporters of Marimalai adigal. .
Happy, I for one think EVR is probably the one who will be remembered a thousand years from now as a significant reformer who made people change the way they thought and behaved, no other Tamil can even come close, not even Mahakavi, who is probably the one who comes close enough.

Most of the revered Brahminical acharyas of today will NOT be remembered by even by the Brahmins themselves, if they manage to survive as brahmins -- after all, how many SVs today know who came after, or before, Ramanuja or after or before that? I am pretty sure the smartha tradition is no different, Sangom sir may clarify.

Those who criticize EVR do not fully comprehend what he stood for and fought for, so much so, their own political divinity, Rajai, admired the man.

Cheers!

Someone should resurrect EVR using some cloning method and try to get the same soul back(Note: this is my fantasy/fiction) and lead him to a room where we have all symbols of divinity from all organized and disorganized religions.
Then hand him over many garlands of Padukas and ask him to repeat what he did in his previous life and tell him to garland all the symbols.
I am sure he will only still garland the Hindu symbols cos as usual we Hindus wont retaliate.

Last edited:
Anyone in this world can be remembered for all the right reasons or wrong reasons.
People still remember Ettappan even more than Veerapaandi Kattabomman.
Just betray anyone and you will be called "Ettappan Parambarai" but even if you are brave no one will call you "Veerapaandi Kattabomman Parambarai".

Why go so far..I am sure even in forum most of us members are remembered more for their infamous posts/writing..am I not right?
I am sure many remember me in forum for lots of wrong reasons too..X rated thread for example!!!LOL

Happy, I for one think EVR is probably the one who will be remembered a thousand years from now as a significant reformer who made people change the way they thought and behaved, no other Tamil can even come close, not even Mahakavi, who is probably the one who comes close enough.

Most of the revered Brahminical acharyas of today will NOT be remembered by even by the Brahmins themselves, if they manage to survive as brahmins -- after all, how many SVs today know who came after, or before, Ramanuja or after or before that? I am pretty sure the smartha tradition is no different, Sangom sir may clarify.

Those who criticize EVR do not fully comprehend what he stood for and fought for, so much so, their own political divinity, Rajai, admired the man.

Cheers!
Dear Sir,

I do agree EVR was out to get rid of superstitions. But i do not know if he will be remembered in future. The world is modernising at a very rapid pace. Caste structures are falling apart. The younger generation (irrespective of caste) is the questioning sort. They accept things which have sound explanations, but reject and criticise meaningless customs a lot more than EVR. No longer do they accept the word of their parents or elders as verily the truth.

In a future when robots may do mundane jobs, wonder if people will have any use either for EVR or for religion at all...Am rather curious what will the future of religion be...Mabe in an Endiran-2 (sequel) there will be robots programmed with the knowledge of all scriptures conducting prayers on the behalf of people..

There are NBs who want vedavidya in current times, but in future wonder if anyone will be as much interested. I suspect everyone will gravitate towards jobs that bring them material and immaterial comfort.

The future concept of comfort itself maybe different from present-day sensibilities. No heat from fire, no smoke, no standing or sitting for long time...everything done at the touch of a button within a few minutes.

Last edited:
People are hated for bad qualities such as cruelty and ironically for good ones such as intelligence. In the latter case hatred exhibited is an indirect way. An imaginary bad quality is used as a guise to smear the image. I think in the case of hatred towards brahmins just that is happening.

I would say brahmins are unique in this world for their kind of knowledge and the qualities they possess and this naturally is not acceptable to others who lack such qualities. So to smear them you need a pretext. And caste system turns out to be a convenient pretext.

Is anyone condemning the whites now because they practiced slavery in the past?

I am sure there would a number of cases of perpetuation of real cruelty in the history of mankind that would dwarf what is ascribed to brahmins.The cause for hatred is simple. Brahmins are hated for their intelligence. It would be a joke to case they are hated for their cruelty.

People are hated for bad qualities such as cruelty and ironically for good ones such as intelligence. In the latter case hatred exhibited is an indirect way. An imaginary bad quality is used as a guise to smear the image. I think in the case of hatred towards brahmins just that is happening.

I would say brahmins are unique in this world for their kind of knowledge and the qualities they possess and this naturally is not acceptable to others who lack such qualities. So to smear them you need a pretext. And caste system turns out to be a convenient pretext.

I am sure there would a number of cases of perpetuation of real cruelty in the history of mankind that would dwarf what is ascribed to brahmins.The cause for hatred is simple. Brahmins are hated for their intelligence. It would be a joke to case they are hated for their cruelty.

Dear Sravna,

You wrote:
I would say brahmins are unique in this world for their kind of knowledge and the qualities they possess and this naturally is not acceptable to others who lack such qualities.

Ok before I post my question I would like to say I am neutral..not Pro Brahmin or Anti Brahmin.
Ok now my question..coming to the uniqueness of Brahmins in terms of knowledge and gunas correct me if I am wrong but I feel its brought about by lifestyle more than genetics.

You know why? Ok here goes..many Christians who take pride to be Brahmin Christians do not shine as bright as Hindu Brahmins in terms of knowledge.
If its becos of a Brahmin gene..I would expect the Christian( Brahmin) also to be as bright as the Hindu Brahmin.
So do you agree with me that its more of lifestyle that Hindu Brahmins pay more attention to knowledge and instilling gunas?

feedback please.

Last edited:
Dear Sravna,

You wrote:

Ok before I post my question I would like to say I am neutral..not Pro Brahmin or Anti Brahmin.
Ok now my question..coming to the uniqueness of Brahmins in terms of knowledge and gunas correct me if I am wrong but I feel its brought about by lifestyle more then genetics.

You know why? Ok here goes..many Christians who take pride to be Brahmin Christians do not shine as bright as Hindu Brahmins in terms of knowledge.
If its becos of a Brahmin gene..I would expect the Christian( Brahmin) also to be as bright as the Hindu Brahmin.
So do you agree with me that its more of lifestyle that Hindu Brahmins pay more attention to knowledge and instilling gunas?

feedback please.

Dear Renuka,

I agree with you. But I would say heredity plays a role but there are other factors too. Remember there are non brahmins among even the venerable brahmarishis. I always maintain in the true spirit of hinduism that whether one can be deemed to be a brahmin or not can be determined by his qualities.

Dear Renuka,

I agree with you. But I would say heredity plays a role but there are other factors too. Remember there are non brahmins among even the venerable brahmarishis. I always maintain in the true spirit of hinduism that whether one can be deemed to be a brahmin or not can be determined by his qualities.

I dont know if you will agree with me..but why cant we Hindus do away with trying to determine if anyone is a Brahmin by Gunas or Birth etc?
I am not talking about Varna system here dont get me wrong.

I personally feel that Hinduism can be more user friendly if we by pass that defining anyone by his gunas part and try to emphasize more about trying to be a Manava to realize Madhava.

Dear Renuka,

I think knowing gunas is for knowing what to teach to you. Different gunas respond differently to the same treatment and hence I think the knowing the gunas would be of use.

An imaginary bad quality is used as a guise to smear the image. I think in the case of hatred towards brahmins just that is happening.
Please let us know what is the imaginary bad quality ?

So brahmins (to you) are unique for qualities which others do not possess. What are those qualities please? Especially those which others lack. BTW, Rama, Krishna, Narasimha were NOT brahmins.

Was their slavery enmeshed with religion, sanctioned and validated by religion ? Are whites still upholding slavery as their religion?

Sravna, hope you are not comparing slavery of the dharmashastra kind with cruelty such as homicide murder, rape, and such crimes. The latter crimes in no way absolve slavery of the smrithis. The slavery of the smrithis is cruel. Period.

Instead of continuing to justify and hold on to smrithis, i wud think EVERYONE (brahmins included) have a lot more to benefit by giving it up. Please note am not talking about giving up caste. Am only asking to make the structure fluid. Moreover this is about the varna system, not jaati system. If a fluid varna system can be created atleast in the present day, i feel, one can expect a flourishing future for hindu religion..

Dear Renuka,

I think knowing gunas is for knowing what to teach to you. Different gunas respond differently to the same treatment and hence I think the knowing the gunas would be of use.
Sravna, guess what NBs dislike in Bs?? It is the arrogance of calling oneself good (just because one is a self-appointed brahmin), and demonising others as bad (based on caste).

I use the term "Self-appointed" because that's what the smrithis did. These 'brahmins' ensured thru the smrithis that so-called 'kshatriyas' kept varna rigid and birth-based using violence. How can such violence perpetuating 'brahmins' call themselves good? On what basis can they claim to have sattva gunas?

If brahmins claim (a) only they have sattva gunas, are hence good and therefore brahmins; (b) and go on to claim gunas are inherited; and therefore varna is rigid birth-based; and (c) in kaliyuga only 2 classes exist - that is, brahmins (by birth) and shudra (slaves) -- would not that sound like megalomania?

Dear HH,

Let me talk in terms of gunas only. Identifying gunas is important because it is necessary to know who is fit to do a particular job. But in the present world it would be called discrimination. But let us ignore the fact that discrimination is indeed prevalent in spite of this lip service to equality.

Let us assume that these inherent gunas are used to assess the suitability of the person to a job. The important point is that let us not label one's abilities permanently. Even though a person may be seen unfit for a job at a particular time he should be able to qualify for it if there is a perceptible change in his suitability for the job. Remember heredity is only one factor determining one's potential accomplishments.

My point therefore is we should seriously reconsider in reinstating varna like system for selection to jobs. For example, a sattvic guna is a much better fit for advisory roles than a rajassic one. See what the western countries are doing. At the drop of a hat they feel the urge to interfere, not in a peaceful way in the affairs of other nations. I think they feel a rush of blood to display their military might every now and then. That is the problem. Valour seems to score over discretion.

The importance of guna based system cannot be overemphasized. It is the way to utilize fully the capabilities of the members of the society and in a way that is not detrimental to it.

Dear Renuka,

i get really depressed and feel there is only bleak outlook for our religion, when even erudite folks like sravana, equates good gunas with brahmins.

i do not know if he understands, how patronizing and insulting the statement that 'even among venerable brahmarishis there are non brahmins'. it is so deeply engrained this feeling, that as if being a brahmarishi by default is a domain of the brahmin, and for a NB it is an exception.

i am not writing this to sravana, but am more commenting on such deeply held feelings. even now in the 21st century when such strains of thought be conveniently forgotten or discarded. i would see more folks just dropping out of our practices than adhere to a philosophy which is based on brahminical hegemony, by default or otherwise.

very depressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back