• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

How did vali, the vanara king and manifestation of indra, was a terror to demon ravan

Status
Not open for further replies.
in Ramayana, Indra ,the celestial was afraid of demon Ravana;

but in kishkinda kandam we are lead to believe that vanara king VAali,THE MANIFESTATION OF ''INDRA'' IS INVINCIBLE AND RAVANA WAS AFRAID OF VALI'

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN/HOW COULD VALI WAS SO POWERFUL THAT RAVANA WAS AFRAID OF HIM

may be there is a hidden message for us to digest.

Well..Indra was well known to be afraid of any situation or anyone that could be a threat to his throne.
I guess it goes to show that being in position does instill a little fear in most of us..a feeling of "will I be able to maintain my position"

In day to day life we do see it..in school the best of students might fear that he/she might lose the gold medal to someone else next year.
In the field of sports the best of sportsman might fear losing his title in the next Olympics and the list goes on.

I dont know why Fear was not included in the list of 6 enemies of men(Kama,Krodha,Lobha,Mada,Moha,Matsarya).
Fear can go either way..when we fear losing our position some might work harder but some might resort to unrighteous means.

Ok coming to Ravana being afraid of Vaali..well Vaali was a Vanara and yet Ravana was afraid of him..may be this goes to show never underestimate your rival or enemy.They might be not appear as mighty as us but you never really know what lies within.

dear renuka,
ravana had a boon that he is invincible by anyone under the universe ;but he was afraid of vanara why

dear renuka,
ravana had a boon that he is invincible by anyone under the universe ;but he was afraid of vanara why

Thats why I had mentioned in my post..that even being in any post or position fear still lurks in the heart of anyone.
And destruction can come in any form.

Didnt Mahabali underestimate Vamana Avatar?
Didnt Hiranyakashipu underestimate the power of Lord Vishnu when he thought he had a boon that he was almost invincible?

I guess Ravana must have read history well and knew somehow that on technical grounds destruction might rear its head so he was careful with who he dealt with.
Having a little "fear" of ones enemy sometimes helps us in the long run.
We might try to outwit them with different strategies.

After all even Lord Rama didnt have a direct face to face confrontation with Vaali..so Vaali was no ordinary primate I guess.

Last edited:

but in kishkinda kandam we are lead to believe that vanara king VAali,THE MANIFESTATION OF ''INDRA'' IS INVINCIBLE AND RAVANA WAS AFRAID OF VALI'

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN/HOW COULD VALI WAS SO POWERFUL THAT RAVANA WAS AFRAID OF HIM

If this does not prove that Ramayana is a pure பொய்க்கதை and that too with weak logic, what else will?

Interesting thread. Vaali was a huge Siva bhakthan and had the boon by which he got half the power of anyone who confronts him. I remember a story according to which, Ravana disturbs Vaali's Siva poojai, and an angry Vaali grabbed Ravana in his tail and swirled him around the world. This may have been why R was afraid of V, but my question is wasn't R a Siva bhakthan too, and why he would he disturb another Siva bhakthan's poojai?

Interesting thread. Vaali was a huge Siva bhakthan and had the boon by which he got half the power of anyone who confronts him. I remember a story according to which, Ravana disturbs Vaali's Siva poojai, and an angry Vaali grabbed Ravana in his tail and swirled him around the world. This may have been why R was afraid of V, but my question is wasn't R a Siva bhakthan too, and why he would he disturb another Siva bhakthan's poojai?

So I guess the battle of Ra.One(Raavan) and Va.One(Vaali) would have made it big at the box office.... both devotees of Shi.One(Shivan)

Last edited:
I have a question - biologically if man is at the acme of the food chain and therefore a carnovire, why did our shastras and especially brahmnism mandate vegetarianism? Am I missing some basic udnerstanding? Please clarify.

I have a question - biologically if man is at the acme of the food chain and therefore a carnovire, why did our shastras and especially brahmnism mandate vegetarianism? Am I missing some basic udnerstanding? Please clarify.

Feeding on more evolved creatures is less desirable. IMO that is the reason why scriptures mandate vegetarianism. Also once a being becomes a mental entity just like humans, the purpose of living is food for your mind or acquiring knowledge IMO.

Feeding on more evolved creatures is less desirable. IMO that is the reason why scriptures mandate vegetarianism. Also once a being becomes a mental entity just like humans, the purpose of living is food for your mind or acquiring knowledge IMO.
sravna, I understand your defense of vegetarianism, I am one myself. However, there are two important points to consider.

(i) The scripture does NOT mandate vegetarianism, if anything, it requires the consumption of meat without which many mandated rituals will not be complete.

(ii) Scientists believe humans became critical thinkers because they developed larger brains which was possible only because of adopting a non-veg diet. Their veg cousins remained with brain sizes and consequently no more able to do critical thinking than chimpanzees.

In other words, the reason we are able to logically think and argue for being a vegetarian is our ancestors some 200,000 years ago became non-vegetarians. Otherwise, all of us would be jumping from tree to tree foraging.

For more info please visit this site for school kids.

Cheers!

I thought that 'brainy' is related to vegetarianism and 'brawny' is related to non veg. Micro list of vegetarians in india from wiki; I have read that people from all communities in india move towards vegetarianism when they go up in the spiritual path.

A. P. J. Abdul Kalam[SUP][180][/SUP]
Amitabh Bachchan[SUP][181][/SUP]

Gautama Buddha[SUP][66][/SUP][SUP](pp11–88)[/SUP][SUP][103][/SUP][SUP](pp17–21)[/SUP][SUP][157][/SUP][SUP](pp21–23)[/SUP][SUP][179][/SUP][SUP](pp50–57)[/SUP][SUP][107][/SUP][SUP][182][/SUP][SUP][nb 21][/SUP]

Morarji Desai[SUP][183][/SUP]

M.K.Gandhi[SUP][107][/SUP][SUP][184][/SUP]

Kabīr[SUP][152][/SUP][SUP](pp47–49)[/SUP]

Anil Kumble[SUP][185][/SUP]

Shahid Kapoor[SUP][186][/SUP]

Kareena Kapoor[SUP][187][/SUP]

Krishna[SUP][107][/SUP]

Jiddu Krishnamurti[SUP][188][/SUP][SUP][189][/SUP]

Sushil Kumar (wrestler)[SUP][190][/SUP]

R. Madhavan[SUP][191][/SUP]

Mahavira[SUP][66][/SUP][SUP](pp19–28)[/SUP]

A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada[SUP][66][/SUP][SUP](pp173–180)[/SUP][SUP][152][/SUP][SUP](pp56–60)[/SUP]

Rajendra Prasad[SUP][192][/SUP]

Rama[SUP][107][/SUP]

Srinivasa Ramanujan[SUP][193][/SUP]

Swami Satchidananda[SUP][194][/SUP]

Fauja Singh[SUP][195][/SUP][SUP][196][/SUP]

Rabindranath Tagore[SUP][197][/SUP]

Sachin Tendulkar[SUP][198][/SUP]

Swami Vivekananda[SUP][152][/SUP][SUP](pp50–52)[/SUP]

... Micro list of vegetarians in india from wiki;
Gautama Buddha
Rama
Sachin Tendulkar
There are at least three errors in this Micro list. Gautama Buddha died of eating spoiled pork. Rama eating Venison is described in Valmiki Ramayanam. According to this web site, Tendulkar's favorite foods include, "All sea food, especially fish cooked by his mother, steak."

sarang,

you left out vidya balan and madhavan - two very prominent spokespersons for vegetarianism in india.

i am very very surprised you included rama as a vegetarian. i thought every hindu kid of a certain age knew that when rama went to hunt in the forest, for the deer that seetha wanted to cook, the kidnapping of the good lady happened. :)

ofcourse valmiki and kamban could have been mistaken, and sarang may have found the truth of rama's vegetarianism. wonders happen :)

...n rama went to hunt in the forest, for the deer that seetha wanted to cook,
K, this particular maya maan, Sita didn't want to cook, she wanted it for her pet.

Be that as it may, what do you think, does being a vegetarian make one brainy? I have been a vegetarian but that apparently hasn't helped me much, and I am sure all the usual suspects will agree with this observation of mine readily :).

Cheers!

Sundara Kandam la varum... Anjaneyar will tell Seetha that Ramar has been grieving since she was taken by RaOne, and hasnt taken to meat nor drinks. "Madhu Maamsam Unbadhillai..."

PS: Chivas Reagal nu sonnaa dhaan Sir thappu... Soma Banamnu sonnaa thappe illaingO !!

K, this particular maya maan, Sita didn't want to cook, she wanted it for her pet.

Be that as it may, what do you think, does being a vegetarian make one brainy? I have been a vegetarian but that apparently hasn't helped me much, and I am sure all the usual suspects will agree with this observation of mine readily :).

Cheers!
Lol finally I found one thing in common.
Where did this thread became about vegetarianism?

Last edited:
sarang,

you left out vidya balan and madhavan - two very prominent spokespersons for vegetarianism in india.

i am very very surprised you included rama as a vegetarian. i thought every hindu kid of a certain age knew that when rama went to hunt in the forest, for the deer that seetha wanted to cook, the kidnapping of the good lady happened. :)

ofcourse valmiki and kamban could have been mistaken, and sarang may have found the truth of rama's vegetarianism. wonders happen :)

I agree with K, I think Rama being a chatriya, should have been a meat eater IMO,Who knows.

Vivek Style: ada paavi... ada paavi... andha amma aasaya vilayaada ketta maana pOyi vaththa kozhambu vekka kettaanganu solreengale... unga karpanaikku oru alave illayadaa ?!?!?!

How could you ask such questions to the Author of Ramayana, the Adi Poet Valmiki...?

That's the Fictional Story that Valmiki wanted to write... and he wrote!

He had all the license in the world to write what he wanted to write as the Author of the one of the enduring Mythologies in the world..

Remember, it is just a FICTION.. nothing else.

Could you ask Mani Ratnam why he directed the movie Raavan?

:)

sarang,

Kunjuppu,

How could you leave out Mallika Sherawat..the sexy hot veg babe.

Vivek Style: ada paavi... ada paavi... andha amma aasaya vilayaada ketta maana pOyi vaththa kozhambu vekka kettaanganu solreengale... unga karpanaikku oru alave illayadaa ?!?!?!

siva,

since when have deer been domesticated to become playtoys?

rama went after the deer with his arrows and bow, and not with a net.

north indian portrayal of rama does not show poonal; only in tamil nadu, can we see rama, with 9 distinct strands of poonal, though there is no record of upanayanam for rama in either valmiki or kamban version.

afaik. and i agree i know very little.

having said the above, i still respect those who feel rama is god head and rama should be treated with respect. from this aspect alone, i was dismayed when periyar slapped some slippers on rama picture and paraded it in the streets of erode.

for tamil hinduism, rama is not an object of devotion. very seldom you find rama temples in madras or tamil nadu.

very wisely periyarists avoided any insult to muruga, pillaiyaar or maadasaamy.

Dear Kunjs,
You wrote :
for tamil hinduism, rama is not an object of devotion. very seldom you find rama temples in madras or tamil nadu.

Agreed but the name Rama is so common among Tamilians..You know in Malaysia we have three major races ..Malays,Chinese and Indians and the Malaysian version for Tom,Dick and Harry is Ali,Ah Kow and Ramasamy.

north indian portrayal of rama does not show poonal; only in tamil nadu, can we see rama, with 9 distinct strands of poonal, though there is no record of upanayanam for rama in either valmiki or kamban version.
the oldest known siva lingam (as of today) is of parashurama (parashurameshwara) in the form of shiva in gudimallam.

here is an image of it -- Around Tirupati - Gudimallam - A Lingam like no other! - Lonely Planet

this parashurama does not wear a poonul either. he was worshipped by the pallavas, banas and cholas.

was searching for a properly documented history of this parashurama on the web...and found this to be the most authentic (ASI slab): http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-bbnzEBMfX...SREE+PARUSURAMESWARA+SWAMY+TEMPLE-HISTORY.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back