• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Happy New Year 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
To all members,

wish you and your family a very happy and properous New Year!.
Lets all hope that 2010 will bring joy and upliftment to one & all.

Suga

:yo: I WISH ALL OUR MEMBERS,
FANTASTIC JANUARY
LOVABLE FEBRUARY
MARVELOUS MARCH
LUCKIEST APRIL
ENJOYABLE MAY
SUCCESSFUL JUNE
WONDERFUL JULY
INDEPENDENT AUGUST
PLEASANT SEPTEMBER
TASTIEST OCTOBER
BEAUTIFUL NOVEMBER
HAPPIEST DECEMBER
JAYASHRI

While I receprocate to wishes of all our Friends...
Please Be proud that In No Way We are not at all Connected to the New Year of Christian Era...
New Year Starts according to Our Hindu Culture only on Apr-14th.
Our Culture is Eternal...
No body knows the Origin of Hindu Culture...
According to our Culture Dhanur Masam is aspecious....
"Vaikunda Ekadasi" and "Thiruvadhirai" both functions falls on Margazhi(Dec-Jan).
Both functions of Shaivait and Vaishnavait importance proclaims our Unity in Diversity.
Long live Tamil New Year...

While I receprocate to wishes of all our Friends...
Please Be proud that In No Way We are not at all Connected to the New Year of Christian Era...
New Year Starts according to Our Hindu Culture only on Apr-14th.
Our Culture is Eternal...
No body knows the Origin of Hindu Culture...
According to our Culture Dhanur Masam is aspecious....
"Vaikunda Ekadasi" and "Thiruvadhirai" both functions falls on Margazhi(Dec-Jan).
Both functions of Shaivait and Vaishnavait importance proclaims our Unity in Diversity.
Long live Tamil New Year...

you know i actually dont celebrate 1st Jan at all.
i fully acknowledge Hindu New Year.April 14th.
Is it Hindu New Year or Tamil New Year?
Please kindy clear my doubt.

Let us celebrate all the new years. We are not going to lose anything. Offcourse our New Year is Chithirai first which falls in mid April only.

Other new years are just for fun only.

All the best

Let us celebrate all the new years. We are not going to lose anything. Offcourse our New Year is Chithirai first which falls in mid April only.

Other new years are just for fun only.

All the best

Year is “Varsham” for us. .Varsham means rains.

In the early days ,for layman, the season is distinguished by Rains and Sun. Thus a cycle of rains was taken as a single period called “Varsham’.( The major rainy season , SW monsoons and its pre monsoon rains start by April ).In India which falls mostly under the Tropical region , rainy season and summer are the most distinguishable. Hence reference for season and period is based on that. The Sun starts its movement(apparent movement) Northern Hmisphere, in which India lies, corresponding to Jan 14 th, which is Makara Sankranti, first day of Makara, usually first day of “tamil month “Thai,” celebrated all over India in different names , as it is a harbinger of sunny days for the hemisphere. The Sun crosses equator and marks its presence in Northern Hemisphere by March 21/22..As India is close to equator, this is significant. India, which lies from somewhere 8 degree to about 37 degree in North latitude.

So the New year in India is taken from the first day Sun enters our country.The middle mean latitude for India is 22 deg N.(with various adjustments to local geographical diversities ,a matter of few days)*

Probably by the relevant calculation April 14/15 corresponds the beginning of New Year based on above logic.

Hence CHITHIRAI 1 is the start of New Year for us.

This day is the Mesha (Medam)Sankranti . Sun’s entry into different zodiacs are called Sankarnti/Vishu, the Chithirai entry is called Chithirai Vishu. This also is celebrated throughout India in different names.(Vishu in Kerala,Bihu in Bhar etc)

Mesha is also the first zodiac corresponding to the Rasi for first Nakshatra Aswini. Astrologically Msha Rasi is the first. Sun is “Ucham” -exalted- or in its peak or maximum power in Mesham

While “Simha “Rasi (corresponding to “Chingam” or “Avani ) is the home Rasi of Sun , some calendars start with this as the first month of the year.

*The uniform civil calendar for India(though mainly used in official records and correspondence) the rectified Saka Calendar, corresponds to the March 21/22 with proper adjustments for leap year.

However for converging logics and reasons as cited above , CHITHIRAI/Medam/Mesham corresponding to Apri14/15 is to be considered as New Year.

(But, Greeting another person on any occasion is a good courtesy and positive approach)

Greetings.

P S(I am subject to and welcome to correction on any error on data)

you know i actually dont celebrate 1st Jan at all.
i fully acknowledge Hindu New Year.April 14th.
Is it Hindu New Year or Tamil New Year?
Please kindy clear my doubt.

Thank You Smt.Renu,
The New Year according to Christian Era is not at all connected to our Hindu Culture or India in any way.
Our Civilization and also Chinese Civilizations are oldest in the world being followed for many Generations.
The Tamil New Year which falls on Apr/14 is celebrated in TN and Kerala (in the name of Vishu).
In Karnataka and Andhra it is celebrated some weeks in advance in the Name of Ugadhi.
If Vishu or Ugadhi all comes under our Prestigeous Hindu Culture.
Our ancesters framed certain Disciplines for some reasons.
Some we are Taught...
Some we dont know the Basic Fact hiding behind.
Though my mother side Native is Shencottah/Tirunelveli Dist...and Father side from Thillai Sthanam/Thiruvaiyaru/Thanjavur Dist...
Except Kula Devatha I am having no contacts to both the places.
I am settled in Madurai for more than 20 years.
I am in Politics and very much interested in Temples/Architecture/ and so on in addition to my routine Politics...
For a very long time I dont know the fact that Why Pandya Kings named ,"Avani Moola Veedhi" while they named the other Veedhis in names like Chittirai Veedhi,Aadi Veedhi and so on....
I now Clearified my Doubt that ,"If it Rains on Aavani Maasam and that too in Moolam Natchatra "they (Pandhya Kings) belived that there will be flourished rain which makes the Kingdom Happy..
That was proved in many Years too...
like this in our Hindu Culture,our ancestors had found out many things.Reason for some were taught to us...
Some are still a miracle...
So Hindu Culture is always best.
Again I repeat,Our New Year is Apr/14.
Jan/1st is not at all our new year.
Nort,South,East or West ........Hinduism is always Best..

...So Hindu Culture is always best.
Again I repeat,Our New Year is Apr/14.
Jan/1st is not at all our new year.
Nort,South,East or West ........Hinduism is always Best..

Hindu culture is always the best and so April 14th is new year, but what about Arpil 15th in some years, in those years, is hinuduism still the best? What about Ugathi, the chandhramana NY.

Jan 1st is secular new year world over. It is the first day of the calendar we follow in almost everything. Not many will even know what day of the Tamil month a given day is.

Celebrate Tamil Souramana NY, celebrate, Ugadi, Chandramana NY, and celebrate Jan 1st, secular NY. Have fun folks, it is better to enjoy and be happy than be the best.

Cheers!

folks,

let me wish y'all a happy 2010. raise a cheer folks with your favrite drink!!!

Dear Mr.Nara and my favourite Kunjuppu ji,
Namaste.

Celebrating New Year depends on the Financial Circumstance prevailing in each and every family.For those who are fianacially rich, all days are like Celebrating Days.
Cheersing favourite drink has become a regular event in some gangs of people irrespective of status.
As I dont know the habit of Cheers I cant explain the Cheerful atmosphere out of it.
Just as leap year some times Tamil New Year date may Fall on 15th.Here date is not Important,only the Event of New Year is important.,
Everything followed and adopted by our ancestors is always respected.

Dear Mr.Nara and my favourite Kunjuppu ji,
Namaste.

Celebrating New Year depends on the Financial Circumstance prevailing in each and every family.For those who are fianacially rich, all days are like Celebrating Days.
Cheersing favourite drink has become a regular event in some gangs of people irrespective of status.
As I dont know the habit of Cheers I cant explain the Cheerful atmosphere out of it.
Just as leap year some times Tamil New Year date may Fall on 15th.Here date is not Important,only the Event of New Year is important.,
Everything followed and adopted by our ancestors is always respected.

sankar,

personally, i think, every day is a gift of life. i think, we should appreciate the good health, whatever material possessions we have, and be thankful if we have a loving family.

if these above are not fulfilled, then perhaps we seek to find meanings, justifications and above all hope for a better tomorrow.

atleast that is what i think.

years are just numbers to keep track of our days on this planet. i think mainly for governmental or certain personal milestone purposes such as marriage.

don't know much of what my ancestors thought or did, but if i compare a cross section of my relatives now, to any point in time, they are a mixed bunch. perhaps it would not be right to venerate them outright, as there are scoundrels and rogues in any family ancestrage.

also, ancestors are a product of their times. a thousand years ago, i can be assured, that the problems they faced, while some may be the same, others would have been different. so, i think, everything passed on to us, we need, for practicality and reality sake, filter through our current experiences, and sip accordingly.

hope this made somewhat sense. thanks.

My favourite Nara Mama, KunjuppuJi, and favourite every single poster/member/voyeur on this forum,

Wish everyone a very Happy, Prosperous and Spiritual New Year. May everyone have the best health, wealth (not necessarily material) and happiness.

My one hope for this forum is that it would really nice if everyone gets along and in some discussion please not throw the baby out with the bathwater as it seems to be happening now.

Best Regards,
Amala

My one hope for this forum is that it would really nice if everyone gets along and in some discussion please not throw the baby out with the bathwater as it seems to be happening now.

Best Regards,
Amala

amala,

i think these post KRS days ie sans moderation, we have been doing pretty good, though i do miss KRS for his precise sharp tooled observations. hopefully he will reconsider and be back among us in 2010.

you might have noticed that there are several groups here, in reality a microcosm of our community. i will endeavour not to label anyone, but we do have representation among the religious youth, modern youth, videsi settled, very traditional, comfortably traditional, diehardly traditional, social service, liberated females et al.

knowingly i do not know any teenagers. i think we have a good representation agewise from the 20s to the 60s.

i sincerely believe, that all of us here are good people. good brahmins according to our own defintion of whatever brahminism might be. i say this without malice, for deep inside, even the most ardent votary of manu or varna, does not ever want us to go back to the days of segregation and separation.

all of us believe in development of india, coexistence of the communities, though there may voices heard in murmurs and still adjusting to the presence of multitudes of faith and castes. this is not only natural, but a healthy sign of a vibrant community, for in each view, we have a counterbalancing check and balance.

have you noticed that for the past while no one has quit the forum in a huff. we TBs are quick to take offence, and i can tell with a straight face, on an average, atleast one member quit offended, in the past. is it due to the absence of the big brother moderator? i do not know.

there are always multitudes of threads requesting this sthorthram or that. then there is the humungous notes written to swami, most out of hope, and many out of desperation - atleast it appears to me thus. we have our occassional non hindu visitors - of late more a bane to this forum and a blackmark to their own community - and thus a disappointment. we have had honoured christian friends here before, and it was a delight to hear their views, and answer their well intentioned queries.

i see signs of commerical success here. for a long time, i do not know if this happened in india, one of the perpetual ads was that of a head scarved young muslim south asian featurelike woman, obviously looking for a husband in muslimmatrimony.com. i used to have a good chuckle over this, wondering if it was someone's idea of humour, or was it another love jehad or sheer ignorance or mistake?
not that it mattered.

so, dear amala, not sure what you mean, about throwing the baby with the bath water. i have not witnessed such for a long time. the last time that happened, was due to poor moderation, we lost a very valuable member - nacchinaarkiniyan. nacchi was a gem, and what he posted was gem. one of those posts was indiscriminately censored, if i remember right. with it went nacchi and the post. THAT, i would call throwing the baby with the bathwater :(

there were cries for reform for the kanchi mutt. not sure where the reform movement went. i think like all good intentions, this too remained just that - an idea in the cloud. personally, philosophically i am far removed from kanchi. organizationwise, i think, i happen to know a few of those who joined kanchi in the 60s, 70s, - senior officials, crooks, who according to their wives, joined the mutt organization to wash away their sins, and acquire punyams. it would have been better if those guys instead took a broom, and started cleaning the cheris of madras!

we talked of charity. infact, there was grand talk of opening up educational institutions and what not. i was very skeptical of those, not because i wish to cast any cloud over the sincerety of those folks and suggestions. it is just that, ideas are free and easy to spout. action requires a committment. a passion for a cause. i think, we as a community can be passionate for only one single sole cause - ie our immediate family. to some it may seem as selfish. to me, it is our strength for our steadfast support to our kith, we have seen ourselves through adversities, both real and imagined.

amala, i wish to conclude with a thought and wish on the coming vivaha sanghamam (just when i got swayamvaram into my portfolio of favourite words, swami threw a curved ball of a new jargon!!), that we might look upon the various predictions as the bathwater, and what would result is a number of babies about a year hence. wouldn't that be the right way to dispose the bathwater sans babies?

best wishes to you and yours.......

Sow.Sri.Amala said:-

"My favourite Nara Mama..."

Sow.Amala, do you have Deva mama and/or Asura mama too? :) (Sorry, coun't resist the oppoprtunity to make fun..:)).

"My one hope for this forum is that it would really nice if everyone gets along and in some discussion please not throw the baby out with the bathwater as it seems to be happening now."

Sow.Amala, I do not exactly get your intertretation of baby and bath water. As Sri.Kunjuppu mentioned, the forum is vibrant. If everyone agrees with each other, there will be no discussion at all.

I wish you great and prosperous 2010. I wish you hitching up with a partner of your liking soon!

Cheers!

i think these post KRS days ie sans moderation, we have been doing pretty good, though i do miss KRS for his precise sharp tooled observations. hopefully he will reconsider and be back among us in 2010.

you might have noticed that there are several groups here, in reality a microcosm of our community. i will endeavour not to label anyone, but we do have representation among the religious youth, modern youth, videsi settled, very traditional, comfortably traditional, diehardly traditional, social service, liberated females et al.

Agreed. We do have varied and eclectic crowd here. Not sure who exactly is youth here. I was under the impression that only RaviJi and myself are youths :)

knowingly i do not know any teenagers. i think we have a good representation agewise from the 20s to the 60s.

True

i sincerely believe, that all of us here are good people. good brahmins according to our own defintion of whatever brahminism might be. i say this without malice, for deep inside, even the most ardent votary of manu or varna, does not ever want us to go back to the days of segregation and separation.

Realistically speaking we cannot wish caste away (whatever couched way we refer to it) at least not in this forum which itself is a caste based forum.

all of us believe in development of india, coexistence of the communities, though there may voices heard in murmurs and still adjusting to the presence of multitudes of faith and castes. this is not only natural, but a healthy sign of a vibrant community, for in each view, we have a counterbalancing check and balance.

have you noticed that for the past while no one has quit the forum in a huff. we TBs are quick to take offence, and i can tell with a straight face, on an average, atleast one member quit offended, in the past. is it due to the absence of the big brother moderator? i do not know.

Thats good to know. I hadn't realised that TBs are quick to take offence I always thought that TBs are able to laugh at themselves and have an impeccable sense of humour :).

i see signs of commerical success here. for a long time, i do not know if this happened in india, one of the perpetual ads was that of a head scarved young muslim south asian featurelike woman, obviously looking for a husband in muslimmatrimony.com. i used to have a good chuckle over this, wondering if it was someone's idea of humour, or was it another love jehad or sheer ignorance or mistake?
not that it mattered.

I am seeing this headscarved lady on my screen as I'm typing this. The irony makes me smile.

we talked of charity. infact, there was grand talk of opening up educational institutions and what not. i was very skeptical of those, not because i wish to cast any cloud over the sincerety of those folks and suggestions. it is just that, ideas are free and easy to spout. action requires a committment. a passion for a cause. i think, we as a community can be passionate for only one single sole cause - ie our immediate family. to some it may seem as selfish.

I guess this was one of Jamadagni's laments.

to me, it is our strength for our steadfast support to our kith, we have seen ourselves through adversities, both real and imagined.

amala, i wish to conclude with a thought and wish on the coming vivaha sanghamam (just when i got swayamvaram into my portfolio of favourite words, swami threw a curved ball of a new jargon!!), that we might look upon the various predictions as the bathwater, and what would result is a number of babies about a year hence. wouldn't that be the right way to dispose the bathwater sans babies?

There are some people here at one end of the spectrum and obviously we have some at the other end and then there are the rest of us shades of grey. Inevitable so I just feel it would be nice if everyone takes the good of what these members say and dispose the bad. Lets not dismiss the good just to reject the bad.

I too hope the vivaha sangamam will be a success :)

best wishes to you and yours.......

Thank you. Likewise :hug:

"My favourite Nara Mama..."

Sow.Amala, do you have Deva mama and/or Asura mama too? :) (Sorry, coun't resist the oppoprtunity to make fun..:)).

Sri RaghyJi,

I do actually! How did you guess. But I'm not telling who is Deva and Asura! :)

I wish you great and prosperous 2010. I wish you hitching up with a partner of your liking soon!

Thank you very much and same to you down under. Prosperous 2010 i mean....not hitching with a partner :)

amala,

i think, as long as there are folks who think like you (& me) in this world, there is hope.

let us not weep for jamadagni. he represented the worst of hinduism, in my opinion. barring happy hindu, nobody took upon to challenge him.

he vanished too soon before nara could sharpen his sword. i took refuge behind my moderator post (i am ashamed for that).

i am not a 'honour' fighter. but would like to think of myself as a guerrilla. i like to win. i am not of the calibre of king rawal ratan singh (of chittoor rani padmini) or the charge of the light brigade by tennyson ie the suicide or hero syndrome.

which is one reason, that i will remain and stay to fight, wherever that forum might be.

folks like jamadagni are pure evil. in my paralayance. they do not have any tolerance. they thrive on inciting hatred. they thrive on our supposed shortcomings.

thank you very much sir, i say to those type of folks. get lost. we are contented with what we have. we strive to builld a better world, based on trust, hope and humanity. not on supposedly remembered wrongs. we cannot correct history. BUT. we can create them.

thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back