• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

bhramachriyam Vs Komanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
sivaram

western culture has adopted komanam as 'thongs' and one can see men & women happily wear komanam aka thongs ,prancing around in beaches.Therefore,if you are a brahmachari,by all means wear a komanam,as its scientifically designed and a convenient dress,to physically move around,while protecting one's modesty.The hindu dharma has said so many things over the past,whichever is convenient for you adapt it or adopt it,that is the greatness of hinduism,very flexible....

sb

Thank you for your reply!
my friends saying "the people who strongly maintain their bhramachariyam only should wear" is it said in that way in dharma?

sivaram

its said in dharma,as it contains many things.I suggest to visit http://www.kamakoti.org and do a search in it or some similiar search engine and see what you get.Our shastras have laid down dress code,'komanam' is for everyone not just 'brahmacharis' but in this day & age,don't you think sporting a 'jockey brand' or 'tantex brand' or.....etc as its a question of comfort in your private parts as in hindi we say 'yeah aaram ka maamla hai'.and in telegu=gochi=komanam, "adrustam bagokapothey evariko gochi lo pidugu padindata"// means... "Someone for whom bad luck has haunted has got strike by lightning in his komanam" :))..:)

A kaupînam is a simple strip of cloth passed between the legs and held by a string at the waist. The word is derived from kûpa= "genitals".

From Sanskrit literature we can tell that for a man to have nothing to wear but a sole kaupînam marked the extreme state of poverty. See the story of Nala in the Mahâbharatam, and Dandin's Dasakumaracaritam. The kaupînam still is the sole garment of an ascetic, who chooses poverty voluntarily. Thus, wearing nothing but a kaupînam is not at all in itself shameful, and indeed, the kaupînam and nakedness is strongly associated with holiness---and with sexual potency, which asceticism increases. The only thing Shiva wears is a kaupînam,in Shiva Puranam.

There is plenty of other kaupînam lore.

Up to the recent present Indian men, particularly in the south, used to wear only a kaupînam for messy or wet work (men plowing fields, bathing elephants, dhobis doing laundry, etc.). Whether men still do I don't know. The basic breechcloth is called by different names in the various languages.

Classical Sanskrit literature speaks of ascetics making clothing of bark-cloth. Most people I'm sure used cotton.

The word langoti (its equivalent in modern Indian languages) seems to have replaced kaupînam as a general term for a breechcloth. In ancient times, though, the langoti was a different thing from a kaupînam. The word langoti is derived from the Sanskrit root langh-= "leap." This is an athlete's loincloth. In New York's Metropolitan Museum of art is an ancient exercise-weight of stone, carved with a relief of Lord Krishna fighting the Demon Horse. Lord Krishna is wearing a langoti, and from this carving we can tell that this was a loincloth identical to the modern Japanese rokushaku fundoshi, that is, a long narrow strip of cotton whose loose ends are secured in back, so there is no front apron.

The modern day athlete's langoti, so far as I've seen in photos, is sewn together out of a strip and a triangular piece to cover the buttocks, and ties with tapes=Thongs.

sb

Last edited:
thank u for the reply !

the link is useful i found a those points what i want in those,... actually the discussion with my friend is only about the hindu dharma saying not about current world or ppls view on that....

anyway thank u....

Dear Sir,

I am a regular wearer of komanam for the last 3 years . Why people feel shy about wearing komanam. I have discussed with my friends and my relatives, they told me that komanam is normally worn by people who are above 55 or 60 years age. Is there anything said like that in the vedanta.

Whether it is bhramachriyam or not, komanam can be used as your regular undergarment. I'm using it from when i was eleven for the past 18+ years. I'm not inclined to use any other brands and didn't change it even after my marriage. I don't know why we have to give up this simple traditional habit for modern jockeys and other stuff.

Dear Prem,

Thanks for your reply.
Now I do not have any doubt about wearing the old costume komanam regularly. Do you feel that more & more people will adopt the old costume in the present generation ? Although people may agree, but are very shy & reluctant to go in the modern world.

Rgds,
Ramachandra

I don't think it is old costume. Many versions are still availaible and as mentioned above, it is very common in US where people use thongs. I don't feel shy in using this and also many times i took bath in river with this.

In lighter vain :

Close friends are called "Langotia Yaar" in Hindi/Hindustani. Presumably, because they may occasionally share a Langoti.

"Bosom Friend" is the preferred expression in Queen's English.

Any guess as to what the US expression for this would be ?

THONGY MATES ??

The word langoti (its equivalent in modern Indian languages) seems to have replaced kaupînam as a general term for a breechcloth. In ancient times, though, the langoti was a different thing from a kaupînam. The word langoti is derived from the Sanskrit root langh-= "leap." This is an athlete's loincloth.
sb

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Prem,

Thanks for your clarification.

I am from Kerala presently settled in Mumbai. Although I wear komanam regularly, my relatives and other people look at me like a village type person - not adaptable to modern generation. Which of course makes me bit upset. But still I am continuing with komanam at home full time - especially full time even at Home.
I used to wear komanam only when I go to temple or do pooja .

I am happy to note that you are also one among the members who follow strictly old traditions.

I will happy to receive your comments , if any and any advise .

Rgds,
Ramachandra

Komanam has its uses as well... it does not unduly tighten up the scrotal sacs and there is temperature control as well... but probably this would be lost if a komanam is inside a trouser or a jean...

I would very much like to see people taking up to dhotis in India, even to offices... :madgrin:... wish corporates could incorporate this into their policy...

Croporates are prone to washing dirty linen in public. Hope it does not turn into washing (dirty) langotis in public !

I would very much like to see people taking up to dhotis in India, even to offices... :madgrin:... wish corporates could incorporate this into their policy...

Dear Sir,

I am spiritual minded person doing pooja & going to temple. While doing & going to temple , I wear komanam with veshti on top . When I go to temple, more & more people watch me behind as if I have done a big mistake of wearing komanam " which is reflecting through veshti ".

This is causing bit embarassment for me and I am thinking what to do. I feel that I should not give up wearing komanam just because of some people looking at me - but why that kind of impression people get - that this is for the current generation .

Of course, I like wearing komanam and even at home I sit with komanam only .

Can u suggest some remedy to overcome such kind of feelings .

Rgds,
Ramachandra

Premm Ji!

Do you find Kaubheenam is better in design.....than to the modern one?

regards

re

Dear Sir,

I am spiritual minded person doing pooja & going to temple. While doing & going to temple , I wear komanam with veshti on top . When I go to temple, more & more people watch me behind as if I have done a big mistake of wearing komanam " which is reflecting through veshti ".

This is causing bit embarassment for me and I am thinking what to do. I feel that I should not give up wearing komanam just because of some people looking at me - but why that kind of impression people get - that this is for the current generation .

Rgds,
Ramachandra

as long as you are unable to see your own backside ( soothamattai ) jus enjoy the komanam and its scientific design,but i use modern 'jeetties' as i have errr certain 'under ka mamla' ( insider info ) :):love:

sb

rama,

a very deep thought provoking question, which has me stumped. after thinking about this for a while, i confess, i am clean bowled.

in order to recover my perspectives, i had to visit my earlier blog again, re japanese women adopting komanams.

if they are not embarassed, why should we, as the originators of this stuff. maybe getting all members of your family to adopt this garment and hang it proudly after wash in the very publicly viewed clothesline, might help solve your insecurities? maybe?

Dear Sir,

Rgds,
Ramachandra

Dear All,

Are there people in cities other than villages are opting for komanam instead of modern briefs ? I personally feel, since there has been so many comments about komanam , people are reverting to back to the old costume of komanam instead of the modern briefs, which of course is very costly and not comfortable like komanam .

Is there any comments on the above ?

Rgds,
Ramachandra

Dear All,

Are there people in cities other than villages are opting for komanam instead of modern briefs ? I personally feel, since there has been so many comments about komanam , people are reverting to back to the old costume of komanam instead of the modern briefs, which of course is very costly and not comfortable like komanam .

Is there any comments on the above ?

Rgds,
Ramachandra

To answer some of your queries.

1. If are wearing Vesti and your komanam is visible like any other undergarment. I'm least bothered as I'm doing pooja and going to temple, i'm dressed. We should not have any other feelings or comments abt people looking at this. My mind will be always for the purpose.

2. Nobody should feel awkward for this and if you look at the history, this was the only undergarment used for thoushands of years and people are reventing in new names. In Japan, Fundoshi is getting very famous and sold publicly in malls.
3. We don't have stats on how many people are wearing jattis Vs Komanam. But what i feel in common is that it might be taking revival very soon.

Premm

Dear Prem,

Thanks for your reply. I am convinced and it appears that you are also wearing komanam 24 x 7.

Let the old costume komanam should revive in India very soon. So that the shyness about wearing komanam will go and people will adopt.

Thanks once again.
Ramachandra 17

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back