• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

bhramachriyam Vs Komanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
bhramachriyam vs komanam

Dear sir,

The discussions were very interesting,at the same time different people
accept in different way but ultimately for the same purpose.I too wear this costume since childhood with great passion towards it and it is no longer an old costume and no shy in wearing this.Why to give up the
traditional costume and the habit,no giving up.

I think we are missing the wood for trees. The purpose of wearing 'kaupinam' must have been -

1. To ensure that the person wearing it does not develop desire for materialistic
objects, as the kaupinam is the (or supposed to be the) least expensive piece of
cloth. If someone wears kaupinam made of silk or other costly materials, it is akin
to wearing golden footwears.

2. To protect one's modesty. ('Avadhuthas' are an exception).

3. To cause the least inconvenience to one's intimate parts.

Besides these, don't do unnecessary research on such a petty topic.

"Ulagathodu otta ozhugal, pala katrum
Kallar Ariviladhar" - Thiruvalluvar.

Therefore, I live with the external world and do not want to show
myself distinctively a different person, finally ending up an eccentric.

Note: 'Kaupinam' is called 'loincloth' in the English I know.

Last edited:
Dear Mr. NKV Iyer,

There seems to be interesting communication with regard to wearing of komanam. Many members have expressed their views and definitely it is worth reading and everybody should follow. I am a regular wearer of komanam for the last 3 years and found to be very comfortable and easy maintenance & of course I do have liking towards it.

Let us share our experience with other members also. I am sure that slowly komanam will be regular innerwear for many ......

I think we are missing the wood for trees. The purpose of wearing 'kaupinam' must have been -

1. To ensure that the person wearing it does not develop desire for materialistic
objects, as the kaupinam is the (or supposed to be the) least expensive piece of
cloth. If someone wears kaupinam made of silk or other costly materials, it is akin
to wearing golden footwears.

2. To protect one's modesty. ('Avadhuthas' are an exception).

3. To cause the least inconvenience to one's intimate parts.

Besides these, don't do unnecessary research on such a petty topic.

"Ulagathodu otta ozhugal, pala katrum
Kallar Ariviladhar" - Thiruvalluvar.

Note: 'Kaupinam' is called 'loincloth' in the English I know.
good analysis, but i fail to understand why you use imposing terms such as "don't do unnecessary research on such a petty topic"...

if there were uninterested members, this thread would not have continued at all...

what is wrong in discussing about komanam? as we can see from the responses, the discussion has made an impact...

this is the excuse given by many brahmin families for giving up "kudumi", "kadukkan" and other traditions... even though it may be eccentric, there is merit in following traditions and cultures...

i respect such eccentrics...

s s

do you know why,our forefathers were asked to keep kudumi actaully appalam kudumi!!tried googling it,so lil info.i believe,it was to make the men look like a 'abhisthu' so that women will not fall in love-is this correct or is my legs (all three) being pulled :)

sb

Dear Mr. Bala,

Our forefathers used to keep kudumi and all that. By this what you are trying to convey.... You mean that one should not have any attachment to the materialistic world if he start wearing komanam ....

Can u explain.

bala!

you will be interested to read the opposite is true...

bharathiayar wrote... at that time the ladies of the house complaint wass their hubbies in their new found fashion they are not keeping the kudumi. there was a lot of hue and cry from them on their hubbies doing away with the traditions.

bharathiyar went on to pacify them .... thus it goes..

Kudumi is like an antenna to recieve the good vibrations.

painter ravi varma depiction of Ramar with his kudumi , will give you how majestic and lofty the kudumi IS.

Girls will drool for a proper kudumi - my bet.. please don't ask me do i sport a kudumi.

as i told i've little outside the skull left for this option....

some people say i've very little inside too... what to do , i was given that much only...

regards

re

bala!

you will be interested to read the opposite is true...

bharathiayar wrote... at that time the ladies of the house complaint wass their hubbies in their new found fashion they are not keeping the kudumi. there was a lot of hue and cry from them on their hubbies doing away with the traditions.

bharathiyar went on to pacify them .... thus it goes..

Kudumi is like an antenna to recieve the good vibrations.

painter ravi varma depiction of Ramar with his kudumi , will give you how majestic and lofty the kudumi IS.

Girls will drool for a proper kudumi - my bet.. please don't ask me do i sport a kudumi.

as i told i've little outside the skull left for this option....

some people say i've very little inside too... what to do , i was given that much only...

regards

m m

diplomatically you have written that you are a 'sottai' with a 'kottai' khe khe .

in your case thats fine.but i have noticed our gurukkals who sport appalam kudumi,following the traditional practices,reciting vedams,nalayaira divya prabhandham,....etc have 'tejas' or an 'aura' acting like a kavacham.of course i do not know how,a modern woman views our gurukkal.but its important that girls also have such saathvic views otherwise our gurukkals,will remain un-married for a long time and it will be 'apna haath jagannath' (thun kayaye thannai udavaum :) ).

but i noticed,regarding komanam,that it has scientific design.so,i prefer the modern manufactured 'jockey' brand which is closer to our komanam and serves my purpose especially with a lusty mind :)( plus our biz people will have biz,and my people as laborers will be working in factories=komanam will make lots of people un-employed :( ).i am totally not fit for brahmachariyam even at this age.

sb:bolt:

Mr. SB,

Seen your comments . Wearing komanam is individual choice and one need not think of labourers working in the factory for Jockey . Jockey may or may not be similar to komanam. But komanam is komnam only Jockey cannot be komanam.

RC

Mr. SB,

Seen your comments . Wearing komanam is individual choice and one need not think of labourers working in the factory for Jockey . Jockey may or may not be similar to komanam. But komanam is komnam only Jockey cannot be komanam.

RC

ramu

i gave my opinion thats all.na enna lord ganapathiya illatikki sivam-parvathiya aadesh panrathukku?

i like jockey,which is similiar to komanam.so a woman who wears thongs is like seeing koma-nacchi.:) of course this has nothing to do with our nacchi,in case the pied pipers rats starts following me :(.

sb

s s

do you know why,our forefathers were asked to keep kudumi actaully appalam kudumi!!tried googling it,so lil info.i believe,it was to make the men look like a 'abhisthu' so that women will not fall in love-is this correct or is my legs (all three) being pulled :)

sb
just some random thoughts...

sins were said to pass out through the kudumi (not sure how)

maybe something to do with kundalini... having it at the topmost part...

=> unable to place the source for this: the soul is also said to pass out through the topmost part of the head (something to do with that?)

a brahmanan should have a kudumi which remaining clean shaven, or should have full growth of head/facial hair... (sporting mustaches alone is not permitted)

i think as brahmins we should enquire more into these practices and if required, should rejuvenate them...

aside: what are you trying to do, running on all three!?:D

re

just some random thoughts...

sins were said to pass out through the kudumi (not sure how)

maybe something to do with kundalini... having it at the topmost part...

yes,sahasrara chakram...which only few in the world attain such states..

=> unable to place the source for this: the soul is also said to pass out through the topmost part of the head (something to do with that?)

a brahmanan should have a kudumi which remaining clean shaven, or should have full growth of head/facial hair... (sporting mustaches alone is not permitted)

i think as brahmins we should enquire more into these practices and if required, should rejuvenate them...

ya,but to sport kudumi is our brothers in gurukkals community doing it.also are our brothers in ISKCON doing it.

aside: what are you trying to do, running on all three!?:D

well actually when i tried with all three i became a 'langda' :( ( a nondi=limper),as one of the legs are still in inches only compared to two other legs which are in feets :).

sb

Dear Prem / Mr. Bala,

Is it necessary that Brahmin should wear komanam ? Of course, during my upanayanam, I wore komanam . That time I felt bit shy . But now I am wearing komanam regularly without any shyness.

Brahmin community as a whole, is it advisable or compulsory to wear komanam. As per " sastra " brahmin should wear komanam at least while doing pooja , this is what I heard from vadhyar.

Can u comment on this ?

Ramachandra

re

Dear Prem / Mr. Bala,

Is it necessary that Brahmin should wear komanam ? Of course, during my upanayanam, I wore komanam . That time I felt bit shy . But now I am wearing komanam regularly without any shyness.

Brahmin community as a whole, is it advisable or compulsory to wear komanam. As per " sastra " brahmin should wear komanam at least while doing pooja , this is what I heard from vadhyar.

Can u comment on this ?

Ramachandra

Its up to you.whether you wanna wear it=komanam or be a 'ammana thondi' and keep strutting around.Wearing a komanam increases your power to adhere to brahmachariyam,which enables ones spirituality,but then osho says,keep on doing it,untill you are saturated in sex,then spirituality starts.So if you like osho,follow his teachings.
Its for all=shudras,vaishyas,kshatriyas,brahmnas...all communities have to wear,but modern jockey is better or tantex...imho

sb:laugh:

Last edited:
Komanam

Sir
Why is Mr Ramachandran so concerned about Komanam for Brahmins and Komanam for Puja, worship, temples etc. As a regular wearer of Komanam, never jatti except a few years in between, I want to say that Komanam can be worn by all irrespective of caste.

We all know that previously it was the only male inder wear in India. We also should accept that Komanam is the most scientific inner gament for men (and also for women in some states of India) as it is a girdle which is suspended from a string and supported by its own tension plus the weight of the body or crotch, buttocks etc. So the scrotum and penis are held in a firm but gentle grip and not subject to unnecessary movement which can result in hydrocele or sideways deviation of penis etc.

And Mr Bala is right that it is good for discipline because of the firm bu gentle restraint it gives. And I want to say it is the most comfortable so that if you get used to it you willnot wish to wear anything lese for inner wear.

All these things have nothing to do with prayer or God, I wish to say to Mr Ramachandran. I dont think God judges man by whether he wears Komanam or jatti or nothing inside. We are judged by God on our conduct and character not on our Komanam. So Mr Ramachandran may please note this and simply enjoy wearing his comfortable Komanam without concern about whether it is the best for Puja.

Of course, in our Brahmin and in many non- Brahmin families also, Komanam was prescribed for all times including prayer. The simple reason is that it helps over come unnecessary distractions at least when praying. But that does not mean that God expects us to wear only Komanam inside when praying!

Komanam is otherwise called as brahmins underwear also. Everybody during upanayanam will wear komanam as their sole garment,but the question is whether they will continue with that or not.
It is compulsary that all the brahmins must wear komanam,who follows that and it is not only for brahmins,in olden days everybody will wear this costume as their under garment.
What your vadhyar said is right and nowadays preists itself are neglecting this attire. I don't know why.

NKV Iyer.

Komanam is otherwise called as brahmins underwear also. Everybody during upanayanam will wear komanam as their sole garment,but the question is whether they will continue with that or not.
It is compulsary that all the brahmins must wear komanam,who follows that and it is not only for brahmins,in olden days everybody will wear this costume as their under garment.
What your vadhyar said is right and nowadays preists itself are neglecting this attire. I don't know why.

NKV Iyer.

I agree with N.K.V.Iyer that Komanam is not an exclusive garment for Brahmins. It is the essential and universal male inner garment for all communities in India in former times. There are still many Brahmins and non Brahmins especially in the North who follow this custom. I had my upanayanam at age of 12 a little more than 40 years back and performed the ceremony dressed only in Komanam. After that till almost marriage I had to say sandhyavandhanam only in Komanam as required for a Brahmachari. My mother was strict about this even though we are not from priestly family but only a conservative or traditional family. Even my bath, exercise etc are only in Komanam up to now as I am used to this and it is very practical and ideal for such purposes.

But I dont think that Komanam is to be declared as compulsory for Brahmins. Why? For what reason? Such ideas are not supported by logic. If it is beleived that Brahmin should have Komanam always to worship God, we have to ask if God is judging people by their conduct or by type of underwear they wear.

I think it is enough to say that Komanam is a traditional, practical, scientific and comfortable garment and also it gives better support than underwear. It is enough to say we recommend all to try it and realise the advantages for themselves. And we should also say that all, not only Brahmins can wear this for self control and avoiding of hydrocele etc. The choice is finally left to the person whether to use Komanam or underwear but if people try Komanam for a few days 99 out of 100 will not like to go back to underwear. It is so comfortable and secure and practical.

Dear All,

What Mr. NKV Iyer said is exactly right that all brahmins irrespective of their age should start wearing komanam whether they are in Village/ Town or city. Komanam is the best undergarment which has been used by our forefathers and many generations. Howcome all of a sudden , people started feeling shy of wearing komanam when the ready-made undergarments came, which is of course very costly and not good from the health point of view. Here what I feel that all the brahmins think and realise the advantage of komanam and start wearing. I wore during my upanayanam and somehow or other reasons could not continue for many years. However, now I started wearing komanam for the past 3 years - at this stage I will not be able to go back to modern jockey or tantex or any modern underwear except komanam.

Please wear and enjoy.

Ramachandra 17

Sir : It will be very interesting to know from you if there are any specific reasons why Brahmins above all others should only wear Komanam. I am asking because I am not aware of any such rule.

As a continuous Komanam wearer since age of 11 or 12 I think Komanam is to be recommended for all men because of scientific grip, comfort and self control. But I am surprised at repeated statements in this site that Brahmins should only wear Komanam and that one should always have Komanam inside when going to the temple.

My questions are 1) Where is it said that Brahims in particular should only wear Komanam for underwear and 2 ) Why should it not be similarly required compulsorily for others. I ask the questions as a Brahmin who believes that all can wear Komanam (not only Brahmins) . I also think that it is individual's choice what he should wear and that I dont know of any rule that one should only go to temple with Komanam as inside wear. But I recommend Komanam to all for its comfort and practicality.

Dear All,

What Mr. NKV Iyer said is exactly right that all brahmins irrespective of their age should start wearing komanam whether they are in Village/ Town or city. Komanam is the best undergarment which has been used by our forefathers and many generations. Howcome all of a sudden , people started feeling shy of wearing komanam when the ready-made undergarments came, which is of course very costly and not good from the health point of view. Here what I feel that all the brahmins think and realise the advantage of komanam and start wearing. I wore during my upanayanam and somehow or other reasons could not continue for many years. However, now I started wearing komanam for the past 3 years - at this stage I will not be able to go back to modern jockey or tantex or any modern underwear except komanam.

Please wear and enjoy.

Ramachandra 17

Sir,

It is interesting to note that use of komanam is elaborately explained and have expressed the views of other members. Very nice and believe that most of the members are regular wearer of komanam like me.

Komanam is considered to be scientifically good innergarment for men , whereas the present generation is totally unaware of the importance. Hope things will change and gradually people will shift to komanam from the modern jockey or any other underwear.

Ramachandra

Ohm namashivaya!

Dear sir,
Actually i created this forum, due to the issue raised between me and my friend, (you can see the first question of mine) so it is titled "brahmacharyam vs. komana".....

But anyway i came to know a lot more things by asking that.... Thanks a lot for all the members who contributed thier views and points in this forum....

[FONT=&quot]BRAHMINISM AND WEARING ‘KAUPINAM’[/FONT]​

The reasons for wearing kaupinam in olden days must have been due to –

1. There were no sewing machines (not to talk of modern weaving wills), which came into
being only after the industrialisation that saw things of mass production, for the first time
in the world history.

2. Cloth that requires minimum cutting and stitching with human hands was used to cover
human body, prior to industrialisation.

3. Thus there was no second choice at all, in those days.

i wish to ask our friends who wear ‘kaupinam’ or defend wearing it the following questions.

In the name of keeping our traditions and safeguarding our identity -

Ø Do they want us to go back to the ‘kaupinam age’ too?

Ø Why stopped with ‘kaupinam’ alone? One could have added ‘Veshti-Panchakaccham,’
‘Angavasthram’, ‘Kudumi’ etc.

Ø Will they shun wearing modern dresses like pants/suit, coat, tie etc?

Ø Will they be prepared to live in old, small and tiled houses in this 21st century?

Ø Will they avoid modern electronic gadgets and stick only to communication through
personal messengers (which always results in filters and distortion)?

Ø Will they avoid travel by motor vehicles or even air?

Ø Will they avoid going abroad, as it is forbidden for any true brahmin to cross the seas?
(I do not really know the rationale or logic behind this and have not heard any texts or
scriptures supporting such ban)

Ø Similarly for food, will they avoid eating all food that is considered alien to our culture
and traditions?

I have personally seen many brahmins of today not only working in organisations owned by people who acquired wealth through foul means and following all unethical or even criminal practices, but also they being compelled to do some unethical acts themselves. In such a scenario, wearing kaupinam alone does not offer any solace or mental comfort. What do you say?

My conviction is don’t go by outward symbols or items related to covering human body alone, so as to call oneself a brahmin. If someone is still bent upon continuing such outdated practices, it will be nothing but mad, ridiculous and preposterous and will result in isolating oneself socially and communally. That’s all one can say.

It is my sincere wish such impractical and unworkable ideas not be promoted in this forum of the educated and intellectuals, at least henceforth.

Last edited:
In response to Shri pannvalan's post above, I just want to say this:

Nowadays, we see many people having fertility problems, of course - stress, smoking, alcohol etc are main reasons, but does anybody know that the modern undergarment or jockey and jeans is also one of the factors? The jockey or jeans (esp the tight fits) squeeze the scrotal sacs and maybe the air flow is also restricted... so possibly the right temperature would not be maintained. This could possibly affect seminal production...

So doctors would advise loose types of undergarments - anyone heard of a 'pattavatti trouser'? Komanam is the best - it does not tighten nor allows to jingle the bells... if one feels that it komanam is an issue, pattavattis' are recommended.

So it is not about proving or preserving 'something' alone... they do have positive effects...

Please think about this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back