• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

bhramachriyam Vs Komanam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its better, every one learn this art of tying Komanam.. atleast to work out a contingency plan..

It comes handy,in our day today happening situations like...., where you wake up in a hotel and rush to dress for attending a meeting, and minutes before sneaking the trouser, you realise that you failed to pack a pair of Jockey in your travel bag..Shops are yet to open....Hmm, Dial 03 ,Good morning, housekeeping laundry, May I help you!! "Hmm.. May I have a preused and wellwashed undergarment of 34" size jsut for 8Hrs hire? WHAT? If not atleast,a set of Skivvies!!. Phone bang!!.

They give even 100 times washed towels, wonder why they can't spare me a pre-used/washed undergarment..Pity,yikes! Poor customer service, I wrote in the guest feedback book...,Unlike mobile charger, we cant ask the next room friend to spare one such stuff.. Hmm! Time is ticking up for the meeting..

Our ancerstors very well predicted this.. .. So dont worry!! Pull out the hotel's bed sheet, strip a piece by 6inch width, and roll/twist/allign/grip/position/tie it. You are done with in 5 minutes..

Having said that, its not easy to tie one.. It needs such a mastery skill, similar to setting up a Sikh turban or making a swirling romali rotti!!.

Dear Mr. Sivaram,

Do you wear komanam at home ? what is your views on people who wear komanam in the present generation ?

As you have seen many of the members are in favour of komanam though they reluctantly say wearing komanam is secondary in comparison with ready made innerwear.

I wear komanam at home & also at times to office also.

Awaiting your comments.

Regards,
Ramachandran

Dear Mr Ramachandhran,

I am 24x7 komanam wearer. both in house and office. I started wearing from recent past (just from last 3 years). due to my economical situation. but now i am ok. even i am not able to leave this komanam wearing habbit.

My personal view on this is, first, cheapest, and also easily and comfort to .....

Komanam - 24 x 7

Dear Mr Ramachandhran,

I am 24x7 komanam wearer. both in house and office. I started wearing from recent past (just from last 3 years). due to my economical situation. but now i am ok. even i am not able to leave this komanam wearing habbit.

My personal view on this is, first, cheapest, and also easily and comfort to .....

Dear Mr. Sivaram,

Very good. You are also like me only. I am also a regular komanam wearer but definitely at home and at times to office. Mos of the times at home, I wear only komanam .

As rightly said , it is very convenient, cheapest and easy maintenance and also feel very comfortable.

Thanks for your views and keep exchange your views with other members .

Dear All,

We have discussed usage of komanam at length by various members . However, how many of us really sticking to the old costume in our daily life. Like me there may be one or two who are really using the komanam in daily life whether at home or while going out.

Mr. Kaupinadhari has well explained in the forum and the members who read his article and understand the importance , will soon shift to the old costume of komanam. One of my friend who is a keralite , has started wearing komanam to office also. He is of the view that komanam is really good from the health point of view.

Rgds,
Ramachandra17

Komanam

Dear Mr Ramachandra
I am a jr member to this forum and I am a Keralite Brahmin used to wear the kaupeenam regularly at all times ie. at home,office and also strictly while performing poojas.So far I did not find anything unusual or difficult in wearing kaupeenam.As some members suggested support from home and a passion for wearing kaupeenam is the important factor.Regarding myself my mother was strict in directing me to wear tight kaupeenam during poojas.At the time of my marriage, I have a little apprehension about the reaction of my spouse and during the first two three days I reluctantly turned to modern inns.But for my surprise,even though hailing from a modern brahmon family and educated abroad,she insisted me to follow the tradition and I am very well enjoyed in kaupeenam.
KERALANAMBOOTHERY

Arana Kayiru and Komanam are still prevailing not only among TB but among other communities as well. There is nothing wrong in wearing it as it serves the purpose.

After reading some of the writings here, I feel it is more hygenic as compared to Underwear/Jatti etc. Since Komanam requires only a small piece of thin cloth and can be thrown away after few washes & uses, it doesn't cost much. During winter/rainy season, thick underwear doesn't dry fast also.

New born child (both boy and girl) is always dressed with small thin piece of cloth. Child finds it more comfortable. It is easy to change frequently. Washing is also very easy.

Nothing wrong in reviewing good practices of past.

Lord Muruga wears only Komanam at Palani.

Dear Mr. Venkatramani,

Nice to read to your comments.

Although you have given the advantages of wearing komanam, are you regularly wearing komanam ? If you do not mind, can I know your age ?

If you feel that my question does not hurt you, you may reply.

Rgds,
Ramachandra

Dear Shri Ramachandran ji,

I am running 58 years now and still attending to my business. I am not wearing Komanam now due to the present circumstances but will not mind trying after retirement.

There is no secret regarding my habits.

Thanks and regards,

R.Venkataramani

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

Last edited:
re

Shree RV,

Lord Muruga wears only Komanam at Palani.

I have picture gifted to me by my great-grandfather,wherein Lord Murugar is totally naked in Pazhani.I believe according to Skandam Puranam,Lord Skandar did not wear any dress nor did he even carry his Shakthi Vel.I personally am superstitious with bhakthi regarding this picture,on account of which i am doing very well in business spheres or for that matter any spheres that i indulge in.எல்லாம் ச்கன்டன் கருனை.Thank you!.

gopal.

Wearing Komanam

Dear Mr. Gopal,

What we are discussing here is the merits of wearing Komanam. Are you wearing komanam at home or at least while performing puja.

Lord Muruga is in his " Aandi kolam " that even I also know.

I am wearing komanam for the past so many years and of course very comfortable.

Even my family memebrs also agreeing to the tradition and encouraging.

You also try and let me know your comments.

Wear & enjoy .......

Rgds,
Ramchandran

re

Shree Ramacchandran,

I cannot wear komanum,as i have medical condition.Thank you!.

gopal.

Is it just me? I really do not understand this obsession with a piece of personal clothing! Folks, let personal things be personal. Okay, one has illustrated the advantages of wearing some clothing. That should be enough.

I am surprised by this komanam proselytizing with a missionary zeal!

Sorry if I am offending some folks, but is this not in a person'e private arena? Why should one wonder about whether others wear it or not?

Regards,
KRS

Herein after let us discuss more about Brahamacharyam which is more relevant than the dress code. Let us educate our youngsters more about the Brahmobadesam, what they are suppose to do after the Brahmobadesam etc. I think it will enlighten all of us even though most of us must have already crossed that stage.

எண்ணாயிரம் ஆண்டு யோகம் இருப்பினும் கண்ணார் அமுதனை கண்டறிவாரில்லை உள் நாடி ஒளி பெற உள்ளே நோக்கினார் கண்ணாடி போல கலந்து நின்றானே

Shri RV ji !

I agree with you ! I too was a bit puzzled about the title - a LOIN cloth -- although it has all the letters of the LION , does one really become one after wearing it , will be a million dollar question !

Please enlighten us about the Brahmobadesam , subject !

Please visit the following website were Swamy Sivananda has written beautifully on the practice of Bramacharyam

Practice of Brahmacharya (No Hatha Yoga Illustrations)

All the best

Dear Friends,
I request all the patrons of Tamil Brahmin web site to understand the purpose of this portal by reading the mission before posting their comments. We are here to refine our mind functions and elevate the image of brahmins the world over by enriching ourselves wit the essence of Brahminism - qualities a brahmin should possess without hurting the sentiments of others in the society.Trivial things like private dressing, superiority attitude, sarcasm should not be given importance!Qualities that will elevate our mental thinking is the need of the hour.Lets unite for this cause!!!!

Dear Friends,
I request all the patrons of Tamil Brahmin web site to understand the purpose of this portal by reading the mission before posting their comments. We are here to refine our mind functions and elevate the image of brahmins the world over by enriching ourselves wit the essence of Brahminism - qualities a brahmin should possess without hurting the sentiments of others in the society.Trivial things like private dressing, superiority attitude, sarcasm should not be given importance!Qualities that will elevate our mental thinking is the need of the hour.Lets unite for this cause!!!!

I fully agree with your views. The purpose of this forum according to me is unity, community development and preserving & improving our values. Let us work towards the above causes.

Dear Sir,

Practising Brahmacharyam " to my understanding that it should be done with komanam only " . Seek your valuable comments.

I have come across an injunction stipulating a loincloth for any Celibate, but its purpose was to mainly safeguard from ostentation and covetousness. It is also explained in our tenets that the attire should only be suitable and comfortable to the purpose, and not a pre-requisite. For a VedapaTi, every aspect of his daily life- food, drink, shelter, clothes- must all be such that he can achieve greater focus on his studies. So, a loin cloth may have been preferred ages ago. If the mores of the day have changed, anything appropriate will do. Jeans may be inappropriate, but a typical dhoti, is acceptable. Consider the past. There were Brahmans in some really cold places in the northern reaches of akhand Bharath. Do you think, they religiously studied only in loincloths in freezing weather? The purity of academic study is really what matters. I remember a teaching from Maharishi Pippalada from the upanishads that reinforces this.

Last edited:
Dear Ragu ji,

While the content of your msg is specific , the methodology or approach cannot be FORCED on anyone , which please note .

It's a free land with posters free to express their views and opinions ,without hurting the sentiments of others - I mean the opinion of a person can be challenged but the assault should not be onto a person ! I think we should feel free to discuss anything and everything - at the end of the day , we know within ourselves our worth and why worry about the critics from the external world !

I have always felt that the most important thing to elevate our mental thinking is to get away from RIGID thinking - Leave open the windows of the BRAIN and take it easy !

Unless we have in ourselves the ability to take jokes and deal with SARCASM , without getting effected internally , we have not moved ahead of being a human , forget a super human -- a Brahmin !

[

QUOTE=vaiju_ragu;26115]Dear Friends,
I request all the patrons of Tamil Brahmin web site to understand the purpose of this portal by reading the mission before posting their comments. We are here to refine our mind functions and elevate the image of brahmins the world over by enriching ourselves wit the essence of Brahminism - qualities a brahmin should possess without hurting the sentiments of others in the society.Trivial things like private dressing, superiority attitude, sarcasm should not be given importance!Qualities that will elevate our mental thinking is the need of the hour.Lets unite for this cause!!!![/QUOTE]

Dear Ragu ji,

While the content of your msg is specific , the methodology or approach cannot be FORCED on anyone , which please note .

It's a free land with posters free to express their views and opinions ,without hurting the sentiments of others - I mean the opinion of a person can be challenged but the assault should not be onto a person ! I think we should feel free to discuss anything and everything - at the end of the day , we know within ourselves our worth and why worry about the critics from the external world !

I have always felt that the most important thing to elevate our mental thinking is to get away from RIGID thinking - Leave open the windows of the BRAIN and take it easy !

Unless we have in ourselves the ability to take jokes and deal with SARCASM , without getting effected internally , we have not moved ahead of being a human , forget a super human -- a Brahmin !
Appreciate the views; I endorse it.

I have a doubt, in hindu dharma is it mentioned that a bhramachary should wear komanam,.. or is there any saying only vedham studying ppl should wear ? my friends killing that only vedham know or studying ppl should and will use those. it is not for other.... is it?
why bothering about such things. Are any body going to like or follow such attire in the present context of the world.Why not we share about values and ethics required to be good human being.

Again and again only dress code is being brought in to focus on this topic instead of Brahmacharyam which is very very important. Let us discuss more about brahmacharyam

Dear Sir,

It is not that we are focussing on dress code. But the site name itself is " Brahmacharyam vs. komanam " i.e. focus is that Bramachari ( Brahmin) is supposed to wear komanam .

Brahmacharyam is another part ie.primary is dress code and secondary is brahmacharyam. Nothing wrong in focussing dress code ( komanam)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back