• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

A write up on TamBram Mamas ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so Netherlands are spared!LOL

All the talk about Madisar has made me miss the Kaupeenam thread..can anyone revive that thread? May be TBS garu can share some tips here!LOL
hi

kaupeenam very important for brahmacharis to control emotions....its part of SIKH culture too..

OH! That thread reminds of the original font I used those days!

Forced me to change the font now a days because someone hacked it ! :lol:

.. really.....modern mama....
:nono: T B S Sir! The definition of modern mAmA is this:

The one who wears googles, colorful T'shirt, checked bermuda pants and sports shoes!
More so, if he sports a French beard and a long hair with a rubber band to hold it! :hippie:

:nono: T B S Sir! The definition of modern mAmA is this:

The one who wears googles, colorful T'shirt, checked bermuda pants and sports shoes!
More so, if he sports a French beard and a long hair with a rubber band to hold it! :hippie:

You have missed the US visits he makes to see his children

Ok so Netherlands are spared!LOL

All the talk about Madisar has made me miss the Kaupeenam thread..can anyone revive that thread? May be TBS garu can share some tips here!LOL

All talks about Madisar made me think about Narmadai - In joint families of older era did have atleast one wearing this - some of them with true grit lonely in a crowded joint family No அபசகுனம் or அபஸ்ஸவரம் in writing about Narmadi It is a tribute !

Story of one such lady

She was very pious and orthodox. She washed her own clothes. She wore only “Narmadi sarees”

http://myrantings-ram.blogspot.in/2012/07/story.html?m=1

All talks about Madisar made me think about Narmadai - In joint families of older era did have atleast one wearing this - some of them with true grit lonely in a crowded joint family No அபசகுனம் or அபஸ்ஸவரம் in writing about Narmadi It is a tribute !

Story of one such lady

She was very pious and orthodox. She washed her own clothes. She wore only “Narmadi sarees”

I heard this practice stopped in mid 80s.

One thing I never understood was why Brahmins wore narmadi & shaved their heads

While others wore white saree.

But although Brahmins I assume have stopped this practice completely.

I think plenty of other casts still continue to practice wearing white saree only.

I think karaikudi Chettiar ladies still follow this practice of wearing white saree and no jewellery. The ladies I saw were not from older generation either.

Recently I was watching the news, they were having a protest march in Erode and I was able to see few ladies in white.

Even if they do not wear white I think they have the ceremoney on the 10/13/16 th day .

Story of one such lady

Thanks.JJji

Thoroughly enjoyable.

There are many Pattis with liberal thinking like this.

Read about another woman in T. Janaki Raman"s Uyirthen written in 1956.

My post in literature section on this novel might be of interest to you

Thanks.JJji

Thoroughly enjoyable.

There are many Pattis with liberal thinking like this.

Read about another woman in T. Janaki Raman"s Uyirthen written in 1956.

My post in literature section on this novel might be of interest to you

I have read that - I like every Lady character created by him - but some one commented that these ladies were created as men want them to be by எஸ்டரஜன் இல்லாத திஜரா!

I heard this practice stopped in mid 80s.

One thing I never understood was why Brahmins wore narmadi & shaved their heads

While others wore white saree.

But although Brahmins I assume have stopped this practice completely.

I think plenty of other casts still continue to practice wearing white saree only.

I think karaikudi Chettiar ladies still follow this practice of wearing white saree and no jewellery. The ladies I saw were not from older generation either.

Recently I was watching the news, they were having a protest march in Erode and I was able to see few ladies in white.

Even if they do not wear white I think they have the ceremoney on the 10/13/16 th day .

Its not only Brahmins..my friend who is a Non Brahmin Bengali told me that her grandmum was a widow and head was shaved..only allowed to wear white saree and eat veg food sans spices and salt.

Anyway these days no one really follows all these...thank god.

Its not only Brahmins..my friend who is a Non Brahmin Bengali told me that her grandmum was a widow and head was shaved..only allowed to wear white saree and eat veg food sans spices and salt.

Anyway these days no one really follows all these...thank god.

Not sure about other states in India, but I do think although Brahmins do not practice it any more I think as far as Tamil Nadu are concerned I think the communities and areas I mentioned in my previous post do practice it !! although I think it's only regarding their dress only I don't think it affects their diet & also they are not shunned from the society.

I have attended a couple of weddings in karaikudi where there were ladies wearing only white saree, they were in their 60's.

How is it in Malaysia??

If you go to brindavan, you can see literally hundreds of bengali widows shaved ones left there by their relatives.

Our MP Ms hemamalini wants W bengal to take them back

If you go to brindavan, you can see literally hundreds of bengali widows shaved ones left there by their relatives.

Our MP Ms hemamalini wants W bengal to take them back

I have seen in Malayalam movies , when they show Palakkad iyer families they show these practices. And these stories are set in the present Not in the past.

These atrocities are a lot more common. Particularly if there is wealth involved. The government grants women property right, but because of social pressures, women are cheated out of their inheritance.

This practice is slowly dying because women are getting educated and getting empowered. Even our religious leaders shun, and publicly humiliate them.
I went to see the leading Muttadipati in Kanchi some 50 years ago, and this "human" refused to give charanamrit to the outstretched hand of a widow. I walked out of there.

My cousin has an old-age home in the outskirts of Chennai, there are about 60 "narmadi" widows who live there. At least they get 2 meals a day.

So if you want to avoid seeing them, they are invisible. If you want to see them they are everywhere.
See the other thread.

https://www.tamilbrahmins.com/showthread.php?t=35564&p=379282#post379282

Last edited:
Not sure about other states in India, but I do think although Brahmins do not practice it any more I think as far as Tamil Nadu are concerned I think the communities and areas I mentioned in my previous post do practice it !! although I think it's only regarding their dress only I don't think it affects their diet & also they are not shunned from the society.

I have attended a couple of weddings in karaikudi where there were ladies wearing only white saree, they were in their 60's.

How is it in Malaysia??

In Malaysia ..I have a few aunts who are widows..they do not wear pottu anymore nor thali.

They wear salwar kameez..pale colors...but do not wear jewlery or make up.

But during weddings they keep away from main crowd..dress in pale sarees and keep a safe distance from Sumangalis.

Otherwise they lead a normal life and devote their free time looking after grandkids and attending bhajans.

They are in their sixties.

But one elderly friend of my parents..80 year lady..even after being widowed she still wears pottu and Thali and colored sarees becos she said her husband is always alive for her.

But during weddings they keep away from main crowd..dress in pale sarees and keep a safe distance from Sumangalis.

Otherwise they lead a normal life and devote their free time looking after grandkids and attending bhajans.

It might appear to be normal to people seeing from outside. Is it normal? Then again what is normal. Do they have choices? Does society allow them to be different?

I see people in 80's getting remarried and carry on their life going on vacation and having good time. Can you imagine an Americal woman that way.
Why do Indian parents (widow or not) think they have to be unpaid nannies.

Last edited:
It might appear to be normal to people seeing from outside. Is it normal? Then again what is normal.
I see people in 80's getting remarried and carry on their life going on vacation and having good time. Can you imagine an Americal woman that way.
Why do Indian parents (widow or not) think they have to be unpaid nannies.

My parents help me a lot with my son and in return I look after my parents well right from their health..doing online visa for my dad when he travels..helping him with computer stuff..I even got his Indian rupees changed becos I knew a good money lender.

I bought a car for my mum to drive my son to school and also for personal use cos she prefers automatic car..she is not too fond driving my dads car which is non automatic.

I take very good care of my parents. They get immediate attention from me if they need help.

So its not always unpaid nannies..grandparents do love spending time with grandkids.

Out here in Msia..Chinese grandparents make sure their grandkids study well and become Tiger grandparents to push grandkids to study.

Last edited:
These days many widows have developed inner strength to live on their own without bothering their son or daughter in law if they have no daughter..It is mostly sons who are callous towards their

mother . Most daughters try to incorporate their own parents into their families. This is the most common scenario.

Many widows are educated, financially secure and live merrily separately having a life of their own.

They would not like to intrude into life of their children.

They also prefer later when very old opt for retirement homes which are coming up all over the country.

Many young widows think of remarrying also.Why not?

My parents help me a lot with my son and in return I look after my parents well right from their health..doing online visa for my dad when he travels..helping him with computer stuff..I even got his Indian rupees changed becos I knew a good money lender.

I bought a car for my mum to drive my son to school and also for personal use cos she prefers automatic car..she is not too fond driving my dads car which is non automatic.

I take very good care of my parents. They get immediate attention from me if they need help.

So its not always unpaid nannies..grandparents do love spending time with grandkids.

Out here in Msia..Chinese grandparents make sure their grandkids study well and become Tiger grandparents to push grandkids to study.

I did not mean any disrespect to any members here. I am sorry if you feel slighted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back