• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

ஓ அமெரிக்கா ...

raji,

i was hoping that you had insurance at boston general.

the norm is that by law no one will be turned away from emergency. but after the first bout of care, it is cold hard cash, here in the usa also.

here is what happened to an uncle of mine, since long deceased. 1981. he was a v.p. big company india, and visiting pittsuburgh for contract details with westinghouse. had an heart attack on arrival.

the immediate care was taken done free of charge. then came the diagnosis, that he needed an open heart surgery, and this would not be done without guarantee of payment.

this was pre insurance india and no foreign exchange. westinghouse usa guaranteed payment, and it tokk 3 months for reserve bank of india, to fill out requests from the indian company to pay his bills (as he was in the usa on company business).

in the usa, people mortgage their homes to pay for medical care. my best friend got their best coverage, as available to a university prof in the usa - $2000 deductible + 80% coverage, per person, per year, 20% after deductible out of pocket.
my buddy has cancer, total cost $200,000 and out of pocket $40,000.

in canada, the same treatment; care comparable to usa. cost $ 0 (zero) :)

i think same in europe all over. my mil was a visitor in london and got the best hospital care, medicines included, all for free. including post hospital nurse visit to home.

i had another uncle with head injuries care, but got it all free, even though he was a visitor. dont know how.

another relation, had a heart attack, died in the usa. they sold his apt in chennai, to pay the bills. :(

the biggest glitch for any insurance - exclusion of previous ailments - meaning if you have a weak heart, or had a heart attack, the insurance will not cover you for a new heart attack. RIPOFF EXPERTS, these insurance companies. all over the world.

the norm is that by law no one will be turned away from emergency. but after the first bout of care, it is cold hard cash, here in the usa also.................
Dear Sir,

Our children insist on getting proper insurance before visiting the US and unless we have it, we will be put to task in

case of any medical treatment. I have also heard of an Indian parent who had to be hospitalized for about 20 days

and his son went on paying all his savings for about two decades after the incident! Too bad! We pay prior to the

treatment in India and we pay after the treatment in the US. Is it right?

For my husband's treatment, the company and our insurance will cover most of the expenses. Our son has
approached a lawyer for the legal proceedings to get the claim for the damage done! :smash:

Regards,
Raji Ram

yes raji, it is not all that easy to get a claim especially if it was a heart attack.

there is a small print that any pre existing conditions are not covered. the insurance company, will now provide you with a magnifying glass, to help you read through the myriads of conditions.be careful before you talk to the insurance company. these are sharks. going through the lawyer is best, i think.

very glad that hubby is on the mend.

i did the same for my parents too when they visited me first time. good all inclusive coverage. costa a little more, but when we had to make a claim, because dad fell down and broke a few bones, there was no hassle.

best wishes.

நல்லழகா? நுண்ணறிவா?

நல்லழகு மட்டும் இருந்தால் போதாது, US ல் வாழ்ந்திட;
நுண்ணறிவே மிகவும் தேவை, இங்கே காலம் கழித்திட.

நாளும் ஓயாது உழைக்கக் கற்றுக்கொள்ள வேண்டும்;
மேலும் கல்வி கற்று, அறிவை மேம்படுத்த வேண்டும்.

தானே முடிந்தவரை எல்லாம் செய்ய அறிய வேண்டும்;
தனியே தன் காரை ஓட்டிச் செல்லவும் தெரியவேண்டும்.

இந்த ஊர் குழைக்கும் ஆங்கிலம் பேசக் கற்க வேண்டும்;
எந்த சூழ்நிலையிலும், தடுமாறாது செயல்பட வேண்டும்!

அழகு மட்டும் இருந்தால் எந்தப் பயனுமே கிடையாது!

அறிவும், சாதுரியமுமே தேவை எப்போதும்! அதனால்,

தனக்கு இந்தியாவில் துணையைத் தேடும் NRI மகன்கள்,
தனக்கு வேண்டும், நுண்ணறிவுள்ள மனைவியே என்பர்!

:decision: . . . :peace:

Last edited:
வண்ணமும் எண்ணமும்...

வண்ணம் என்பதற்கு நிறம் என்ற பொருளுடன்
இன்னும் ஒரு பொருள் உண்டு; பருமன் என்று!

பலரின் வண்ணம் இங்கு வெண்மையே; அதில்
பலரின் வண்ணமும் பெரியது, உண்மையே!

தன் உருவம் பற்றியே கவலைப்படாதவர்கள்;
தன் குழந்தைத்தனம் மாறாதவர்கள்! நிறையச்

சிரித்தால் உடல் ஊதும் என்பாள், என் நண்பி!
சிரிப்பே இவர்களைப் பருமன் ஆக்குகிறதோ?

தன்னைப் பற்றித் தாழ்வு மனப்பான்மையை

என்றும் கொள்ளாது, இருக்கும் இவர்களைக்

கண்டு நாம் தெரிந்து கொள்ள வேண்டியது,
உண்டு உலக வாழ்வில் இனிமை, என்பது!

:biggrin1: . .
:thumb:

குண்டு ஒரு குருவின் இயல்பு அனால் மண்டு ஒரு குருவின் சாபம் :)

குண்டு ஒரு குருவின் இயல்பு அனால் மண்டு ஒரு குருவின் சாபம் :)
இன்றைய சிந்தனை:
குண்டாக இரு! ஆனால், மண்டாக இருக்காதே!! :peace:

இன்றைய சிந்தனை:
குண்டாக இரு! ஆனால், மண்டாக இருக்காதே!! :peace:

dear raji,

pray let me take issue with you on your today's thoughts.

மண்டு, i think, is a statement about mind, intelligence etc and how it is perceived by others. people are born with gifts, some more mental aptitude than others, and it is customary to call those whom we perceive as below our average, as மண்டு.

i agree, மண்டு could also be perceived in a harmless connotation, but the way you have used it, it appears, that one is a மண்டு by choice. i think, it is more one of birth given gifts rather than acquired.

whereas குண்டு, barring a few health cases, is man made - by overating, and not exercising enough. it is a health hazard, and a cause of expense to society - in the usa, it is #1 disease. just look at the size of the helpings heaped on the plates in the restaurants.

also, it has been found, that the poorer the folks are, the more குண்டு they are. so poverty is also tied to குண்டு
and unhealthy habits.

so, one should not be குண்டு; if you are born 'மண்டு', nothing can be done about it, except sympathy and understanding of the society at large.

hope you dont mind.

thank you.

Dear sir,

Some people are born குண்டு and stay குண்டு for ever! Some are born lean and become குண்டு by some disease or

by over eating. But this society teases them more if they are மண்டு! Right? I have lot of lovely குண்டு maamis in my circle.
They are just lovable! :grouphug:

Raji Ram

நெடுஞ்சாலைகள் ...
E Z pass!

வாழ்வை அனுபவிக்க முயலுவார்கள் இங்கு;

வாழ்வை அனுபவிக்கத் தேவை பயணங்கள்.

நெடுஞ்சாலைகள் அழகாக அமைந்திருக்கும்;
நெடுகிலும் 'கட்டணங்களும்' வசூலிக்கப்படும்.

காரில் உள்ள பட்டனை அழுத்தினால், தமது
காரை வைக்கும் 'கெராஜ்' திறப்பது போன்று,

காரில் Pass ஐ, ஸ்டிக்கர் போல ஒட்டினாலே,
காரில் செல்லும்போது E Z pass கிடைக்கும்.

மொத்தமாகப் பணம் கட்டினால், இவர்களும்
நித்தமும் சில்லறை தேடத் தேவை இல்லை!

வண்டியின் ஸ்டிக்கரை சென்சார் பார்க்கும்;
வண்டியை நிறுத்திக் காசு கட்ட வேண்டாம்!

பச்சை விளக்கைப் போட்டு, தாண்ட வைத்து,
பச்சை விளக்கொன்று Thank You சொல்லும்!

இனிதாகப் பயணங்கள் சென்றுவர, இப்படி
எளிதான முறைகளைக் கையாளுகின்றார்!

:car: . :car: . :car:

அரண்டவன் கண்ணுக்கு.......

அமெரிக்காவில் செப்டம்பர் பதினொன்று வந்தாலே,
அமர்க்களமான சோதனைகள் பற்பல அரங்கேறும்!

இந்தியா சென்று, பத்தாம் தேதி இரவு திரும்பும்போது,
விந்தையான புது அனுபவம் மகனுக்குக் கிடைத்தது!

மேலும் கீழும் நடக்கும் வினோதமான பழக்கத்தால்,
மேலும் கீழும் நடந்துள்ளான், லண்டன் ஏர்போர்ட்டில்.

ஒரு செக்யூரிட்டி அதிகாரி அருகில் வந்து, அவ்வாறு
ஒருவரும் நடக்கவே அனுமதி இல்லை என்றாராம்!

அதற்கு சம்மதித்து, திரும்பும்போது, திடீரென, தன்னை
அழைக்கும் குரல் கேட்டுத் திரும்ப, அங்கே சிரித்தபடி,

நின்றான், நியூயார்க் செல்லும் அவன் அத்தை மகன்;
நின்றான் மகனும், சில நொடிகள் பேச; விமானம் ஏற

நேரம் ஆகிவிட்டதால், இருவரும் பிரிந்து சென்றனர்;
நேராக இதைப் பார்த்த செக்யூரிட்டிக்கு கிலி பிடிக்க,

நியூஸ்போல இதை மேலதிகாரியிடம், சொல்லிவிட்டு,
'நியூயார்க்' விமானத்தில் 'யாரோ' ஏறியதாகச் சொல்ல,

உடனே விமானம் அங்கே நிறுத்தப்பட்டு, அத்தை மகன்
உடனடி சோதனைக்கு உள்ளானான்! தான் சந்தித்தவன்,

தன் மாமா மகன் என்று சொல்லிவிட, பாஸ்டன் வரத்
தன் கைப்பையுடன் ஏறிய மகனுக்கும் வந்தது வம்பு!

தன் விமான Gate அருகில் அமர்ந்து, நேரமானவுடன்,
தன் விமானத்தில் சென்று அமர்ந்ததும், ஓர் அழைப்பு!

தன் பெயரை அறிவித்து, கைப்பையுடன் சோதனைக்கு,
தன்னை வருமாறு அழைக்க, வியந்து போய்விட்டான்!

அதிகாரிகளில் சிலர் இந்தியர்; சிலர் அமெரிக்கர்;
அதிகாரத்துடன் பையைக் காலி செய்யச் சொல்ல,

வெளி வந்தன, கோவில் விபூதிப் பாக்கெட்; சில
வெளிநாட்டில் கிட்டாத மருந்துகள், நண்பனுக்கு;

இரண்டு சப்பாத்தி ரோல்கள்; Lap top, இன்னபிற!
இரண்டு நிமிடங்களில் புரிந்து போனது, ஒன்றும்

இல்லாத விஷயம், ஒரு திகிலாக மாறிவிட்டது!
இருந்தாலும், கேள்விக்கணைகள் தொடர்ந்தன.

தன் அத்தை மகனின் Official பெயரைக் கேட்டதும்,
தன் யூகம் அதுதான் என்று அவன் பெயரைக் கூற,

முதல் Cousin பெயரிலும் சந்தேகமா எனக் கேட்க,
'முதல் Cousin கள், அப்பா வழியில் பதினேழு பேர்!

அம்மா வழியில் ஆறு பேர்! அத்தனையும் தெரிவது
சும்மா லேசுப்பட்ட விஷயமா?' என்று மகன் கேட்க,

கடும், சுடும் பார்வையுள்ள ஆபீசர்கள் எல்லோரும்,
கடுமை நீங்கிச் சிரித்துவிட்டனராம்! பிழைத்தான்!

'அரண்டவன் கண்ணுக்கு இருண்டதெல்லாம் பேய்!'
அரண்டு போன அமெரிக்கர்களும், இதே போலவே!

:scared: :fear:

போலீசுக்கு முதல் மரியாதை!

இந்தியாவில் போலீஸை அவமதிப்பது போல,

இந்த அமெரிக்க நாட்டில் செய்வது கிடையாது!

ஒரு போலீஸ் ஆபீசர் சுடப்பட்டால், சுட்டவனை
ஒரு பெரிய படையையே வைத்துத் தேடிடுவர்!

வானத்தில் ஹெலிகாப்டர் பறக்கும்; தரையில்
சேனைகளாகப் போலீஸ் உலவி வருவார்கள்!

தொலைக்காட்சி நிகழ்ச்சிகளில், அடிபட்டவர்
நிலை குறித்துச் செய்திகள் தொடர்ந்து வரும்!

குண்டடி பட்ட ஆபீசர் இறக்காவிடினும், அந்த
குண்டு செலுத்தியவனுக்கு, ஆயுள் தண்டனை!

இத்தனை கட்டுப்பாடு இருந்தும், இந்த நாட்டில்,
எத்தனை துப்பாக்கிச் சூடுகள் தொடருகின்றன!

:peep:

உணவு தரக் கூடாது!

தலைப்பைப் பார்த்து, பயப்பட வேண்டாம்!

தலையாய ஒரு சட்டம் பற்றிய செய்தியே!

சுந்திரதேவி சிலையைப் போற்றும் இங்கு,
சுதந்திரமாகத் திரியும் விலங்குகளுக்கும்,

பறவைகளுக்கும், உணவு நாம் தரலாகாது!
பறந்தும், திரிந்தும் தாமே உணவு தேடணும்!

கொடுத்துக் கெடுத்துவிட்டோம் என்றால்,
அடுத்த வேளைக்கு வேட்டையாடாதாம்!

பனிக்காலம் வந்தால் மனிதர் நடமாட்டம்,
பனிக்காலக் குளிரால் குறைந்து போகுமே!

அந்த சமயம், வேட்டையாடுவதை மறந்து,
வந்த பசியாலே, அவை இறந்துவிடுமாம்!

'உணவு தராதீர்கள்', என்ற Zoo அறிவிப்பே
நினைவு வந்தது அப்போது, என் மனத்திலே!

:hungry: . . . :popcorn: . . . :nono:

இதுதானா மீட்டிங்!

கணினி வழியே சென்னையிலிருந்து பேசினால்,
'இனியும் உள்ளது என் மீட்டிங்', என்பான் மகன்!

அமெரிக்காவில் காலை வேளை என்பதால், தன்
அலுவலகம் போய்விட்டான் என எண்ணுவேன்!

அழகாய் இஸ்திரி போட்ட உடைகளை அணிந்து,
அழகிய வட்ட மேசையைச் சுற்றி அமர்ந்து - என,

கற்பனை ஓடும் எனக்கு! இங்கு வந்த பின்தான்
கற்பனை நிஜமே இல்லை என்பதை அறிந்தேன்!

காதில் குட்டியாய் ஓர் உபகரணத்தை அணிந்து,
காலாற நடந்துகொண்டு, பேசிக்கொண்டு! அட!

அரைப் பாண்ட்டும், எளிய டி - ஷர்ட்டும் உடை;
அரை மணியும், வீட்டின் உள்ளே விடாது நடை!

இதுதான் காலை நேர மீட்டிங்கா? வியந்தேன்!
இதுபோல் இந்தியாவில் முடியுமா? அறியேன்!

:noidea:

அழகான முதுமை!

DSCN6957.JPG

இயற்கை அன்னையின் மாட்சி இங்கே

இயல்பாகத் தோன்றி மயக்கும் காட்சி!

துளிர் விட்டு, வளர்ந்து, கீழே விழுந்து
உயிர் துறக்கும் முன், எத்தனை அழகு!

இலையுதிர் கால அழகினை, இயற்கை
அலைபோலப் பரப்பி உள்ளது இங்கே!

அமெரிக்காவின் சில பகுதிகள், இந்த
அமைதியான அழகைக் காட்டிவிடும்!

சில மரங்கள் தகதகக்கும் தங்கமாகவே;
சில மரங்கள் அதிசயமாகச் சிவப்பிலே!

சில மரங்கள் பரிமளிக்கும் ஆரஞ்சிலே;
சில மரங்கள் மயக்கிடும் ஊதாவிலே!

சில மரங்கள் இரட்டை நிறங்களிலே;
சில மரங்கள் வண்ணக் கலவையிலே!

கொடிகளும், செடிகளும் வண்ணமயம்;
நொடிகளில் மனதை மயக்கும் மாயம்!

குன்றுகளும், மலைகளும் பல வண்ணம்;
என்றும் நினைவிலே நிற்கும் வண்ணம்!

இலைகளே! தரையிறங்கி மடியும் முன்,
இத்தனை அழகினை எதற்காகப் பெற்றீர்?

முதுமையில் அடிவைக்கும் மனிதருக்கு,
புதுமையாய்ப் பாடம் சொல்லத்தானோ?

வண்ண மயமாக மகிழ்விப்பது போலவே,
எண்ணணும் முதியோரும், என்பதாலோ?

இயற்கை அன்னையின் குறிப்பு அறிந்து,
இயல்பை நாம் உயர்ந்திடச் செய்வோம்!

உலகை விட்டுச் செல்லும் முன்னே, மன
அழகை அதிகரிக்க முயன்று உய்வோம்!

:angel:

Hello RR,
I LIKED ALL THE POSTING ON 'OH AMERICA' BY YOU.
I find the Americans are responsive for small,small helps, courtesis like thanking when somebody hold the door for them etc,but on greater responsibilities of taking care of their parents ec they are not good.
Alwan

Hello RR,
I LIKED ALL THE POSTING ON 'OH AMERICA' BY YOU.
I find the Americans are responsive for small,small helps, courtesis like thanking when somebody hold the door for them etc,but on greater responsibilities of taking care of their parents ec they are not good.
Alwan

I agree with you partly, on the Amercian parents not being taken care of, there are parents who have been placed in homes and the children visit them on a weekly basis, one of the reasons for that is when the parent becomes ill and the children's home may not have the facility to take care of a sick person and so they are placed in old age homes which is also a nursing home..

But again, there are many who really do take care of their parents, I have seen many instances, where the parent is not thrown into old age homes, even with disease like Alzheimer, and dementia, the children arrange for someone to come to their home to give them the medicine, and take care of them, while they are working and they take care of the parents in the evening and weekends, it is not easy at that stage to do that.. I have done it so I know.. with my MIL's Paralysis.

There are also the parents who live in their own home and downsize and move to a smaller ranch style house and the kids come and spend some time with them. the kids are with them during almost every holiday thanksgiving being the biggest holiday, they make sure they spend it with the entire family, which includes both side parents some times, or if they are in different cities, they take turns in visiting them..... of course there is nobody who would sit with them on a daily basis and the parents also prefer that they live independently..

I myself quite independent will not be able to live with my children, I would rather be independent till the last day of my life.. I am sure they will care for me if I am totally incapable, god forbid that never happens.. I have seen a few of my colleagues both men and women, take care of their parents.

So I won't totally agree with your in the statement that the Americans don't take care of their parents.. having lived here over three decades I have observed a lot.. :)

Dear Bushu,

I have given my views about life style in the US. I saw many old women (80 +) drive their car and carry bags of stuff

from the market. Some use walking sticks too, along with their lip stick make-up. (Invariably ladies of all age groups

use eye and lip make-up ) Living independently is very good. Even in India, the joint family concept has almost

vanished. Most of the parents opt to live in some apartment (maintenance will be easier) and keep away from their

children. Some who are rich enough and do not want any commitments like paying all sorts of bills and shop for the

groceries etc land up in posh senior citizen homes, which crop up not only in metro cities, but also in small towns

and suburbs.

Life style of Americans is more formal. They have to keep repeating "I love you" to their near and dear all the time!

(not enough if shown in action...) We can not just gate crash into any house as we do sometimes in India!

Also, the 'love' is made very public and that style is slowly spreading in India. I remember an anecdote where

someone boasted to Swami Vivekananda that couple in the US walk holding to each other where as, in India, women

follow their husbands! You must know the reply that he got!

:) . Best wishes .....

I agree Raji, that Americans are formal, you should see the British they are super formal, if you happen to rent a place in their house, you have to have a robe in case you were to be seen in the living room.. that tradition is till in many parts.. :)) but again, saying I love you is just an expression almost like " poitu varen" but when you get closer to any family, you can just call (to make sure they are home) and drop in..

yeah a lot walk with holding hands and I have seen some display of affection but lately not seen many.. that is the life style here, but there are us Indians, who bring up our children, exposing them to our culture as much as possible, but you cannot expect them to be exactly like us and think like us.. they have to adapt and I give them a lot of credit to balance the Indian home and the outside american world..

In addition, this western world has taken to Yoga so much, once they see a good thing, they go deep into it.

All I am saying is, that there is good and bad in every society, whether it is Indian or American, I feel India has taken all the wrong things of this society and is trying to make it its own, which is not pleasant, starting from the reality shows to dressing scantily.. perhaps the bollywood has to be blamed.. :)

Best!!! :)

not lived that long enuff as subby,but i do agree with the sentiments expressed.imho its cultural melting pot,as science is the main engine with creature comforts leading the way of life all over globally.i think american life is very enriching just as indian life.

I agree with you partly, on the Amercian parents not being taken care of, there are parents who have been placed in homes and the children visit them on a weekly basis, one of the reasons for that is when the parent becomes ill and the children's home may not have the facility to take care of a sick person and so they are placed in old age homes which is also a nursing home..

But again, there are many who really do take care of their parents, I have seen many instances, where the parent is not thrown into old age homes, even with disease like Alzheimer, and dementia, the children arrange for someone to come to their home to give them the medicine, and take care of them, while they are working and they take care of the parents in the evening and weekends, it is not easy at that stage to do that.. I have done it so I know.. with my MIL's Paralysis.

There are also the parents who live in their own home and downsize and move to a smaller ranch style house and the kids come and spend some time with them. the kids are with them during almost every holiday thanksgiving being the biggest holiday, they make sure they spend it with the entire family, which includes both side parents some times, or if they are in different cities, they take turns in visiting them..... of course there is nobody who would sit with them on a daily basis and the parents also prefer that they live independently..

I myself quite independent will not be able to live with my children, I would rather be independent till the last day of my life.. I am sure they will care for me if I am totally incapable, god forbid that never happens.. I have seen a few of my colleagues both men and women, take care of their parents.

So I won't totally agree with your in the statement that the Americans don't take care of their parents.. having lived here over three decades I have observed a lot.. :)
hello RR,
My reply for your post partially agreeing is,
'பெற்றோர்…

தந்தை தாய் இருவரையும் தம் வீட்டில் காப்பது
தன் கடமை என்று எண்ண இங்கே எவருமில்லை!'
the above is from your post no7.
Alwan

Dear Sri. Alwan,

We visited the US for the first time in 2003. The life style here was very different and formal. The children are not taken

care of till their early twenties, as we do in India! The lovers showed their intimacy in the public and there were unwed

mothers right from the tender age of 10! It was quite shocking for me. Actually, all the write-ups, which came as a

huge flood in my mind, were written in the wee hours of a morning. Most of the readers form India and the US have

agreed to what I have written. But there are a few exceptions in everything. May be, Bushu was a little upset by MY

generalization. I am the writer and I should be responsible for what I write, Sir. Please make a note of this.

Regards,
Raji Ram :)

No no Raji, I was not upset, but I just pointed out the good things also in this country.. coming as a visitor the first time, a lot of things are shocking.. what I meant to say was things have changed in this country and I see more positive than negative.. that is all.. I am not putting down what you wrote.. again that is your observation, which is totally justifiable...
Best!!

Bushu :)

Thank you dear Bushu for your feed back. If I stay here in the US for years together, I may also become like you!

Best wishes, Raji :)

Dear Bushu,

When time permits, please go through all my posts in this thread. I have tried to give both positive and negative things

I saw in this country. One of my cyber friends (another forum) said that she liked to read the views of an Indian lady!

Best wishes........... :)

Latest ads

Back