• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Who is brahmanan

Status
Not open for further replies.
'...
My knowledge of English is poor.'

I am sorry vaagmi. This forum mandates that you possess adequate communication skills in English to post comments and to understand/comprehend others' comments. Please develop the required skills and then raise your queries. Else you will misunderstand/misinterpret me and will be wasting MY PRECIOUS TIME.

To answer your query 'what was your intention..?', the same as that of my iyengar relatives/brahmin friends when they advised me to read the so-called-hindu scriptures.

Also please develop patience, empathy, equanimity and learn to conquer your emotions, ego etc. Will benefit you a lot.

Last edited:
Forum members, I am not here to engage in an ego battle with you.

If any of you want to have the last say in this matter, i grant it to you, if it satiates your ego.

I am neither visiting nor posting any more comments in this thread. I quit.

Dear Vaagmi,

Please read J. Krishnamurthy's books to find answer for your queries.

Also, if you don't mind, read the New Testament, not perceiving it as a religous book, but as Good News. That's how I perceive the Vedas, Upanishads, Brahmanas, the Gita etc when I read them.

May God Bless you.

கால பைரவன்;223264 said:
Exactly. Why miss the golden opportunity of converting to Christianity and embrace THE true loving God and instead become an atheist?! What a waste!!!

are you not hinting that my husband attempts to proselytyse? does not your post sound sarcastic? have you not hastily jumped to an invariably wrong conclusion? is it civilized of you? does not your conduct expose your meanness, feeblemindedness, ignorance and naivete? is not your behaviour disgraceful? is this how brahmins behave?

do you mean to admit that the gods whom the brahmins have embraced are false?

i am an iyengar married for many years. my husband never imposed his belief on me.

To wind up a long discussion - a brahmana is one who is born of brahmin parents or adopted by brahmin parents. This is certain and applies to all sanatana dharmists. Those who want to become an initiated brahmana must explore and find a guru or acharya, who will arrange the needed rituals, if the candidate is found suitable. I do not think there will be serious objection from the brahmana community from kashmir to kanyakumari, from dwaraka to puri.

On the new year day, the taxi that took me to the chennai airport, to avoid anna salai metro rail jam, took a short cut and landed in the narrow lane leading to stalin's house. The road was packed, double parked and getting blocked with new suvs, all wanting to meet convey their new year greetings to the party treasurer. There were many vips including karthik chidambaram (finance ministers's son) in white veshti. More than half of them were with prominent marks on the forehead. So I did not stand out. Surprise, when the vellai veshtis came to know that we had entered the lane by mistake and were on our way to the airport, they swung into action, stopped all vehicles, helped us to make a U turn and get out of the lane. I got down from the taxi and thanked them profusely.

Majority of DMK members are god fraring theists, wear vibuti/kunkum without inhibition, and helped a brahmana to catch his flight.

I am sorry vaagmi. This forum mandates that you possess adequate communication skills in English to post comments and to understand/comprehend others' comments. Please develop the required skills and then raise your queries. Else you will misunderstand/misinterpret me and will be wasting MY PRECIOUS TIME.

To answer your query 'what was your intention..?', the same as that of my iyengar relatives/brahmin friends when they advised me to read the so-called-hindu scriptures.

Also please develop patience, empathy, equanimity and learn to conquer your emotions, ego etc. Will benefit you a lot.

Oh Asir,

What a lecture from the pulpit! Are you a pastor? Thank you for the advices. But that was a nice way of escaping from awkward questions to answer. LOL. Save your time and please don't come here to face people like me. Any way we do not intend to leave this forum in the near future. God bless your Iyengar relatives and brahmin friends. They need a lot of those blessings.

Cool down vaagmi. I only requested you to share your opinions. please revisit my assurance. please do not jump to wrong conclusions. I trust it is not characteristic of a matured brahmin or a spiritual person. i sure agree with you charuhaasan is just a paid actor. if any of charuhaasan's pronouncements are inappropriate/amiss, please let me know. i will raise an issue with the producers.

i know brahmins are not naive to take for granted any mis-interpretation or perversion of scriptures.

Asir,

Please answer just this one question. In the last 24 hours I have just augmented and saved enough of my English to understand that.

What did you mean by "perversion of scriptures" in the quoted post of yours. I am sure you have meant some thing by that term certainly because you have met the rules of this forum and has adequate language skills. Please enlighten me.

Forum members, I am not here to engage in an ego battle with you.

If any of you want to have the last say in this matter, i grant it to you, if it satiates your ego.

I am neither visiting nor posting any more comments in this thread. I quit.

Dear Vaagmi,

Please read J. Krishnamurthy's books to find answer for your queries.

Also, if you don't mind, read the New Testament, not perceiving it as a religous book, but as Good News. That's how I perceive the Vedas, Upanishads, Brahmanas, the Gita etc when I read them.

May God Bless you.

Dear Asir,

My library has JK's many books. Please let me know which particular book you are talking about and what particular point there (page no. etc.) and for what reason. And I do have a copy of the New Testament as well as the Old one in my Library. I have read them. Please make it clear as to what do you want me to look for in them. If you ask me to look into the edition of the Bible before the Nicean creed I may not be able to do that. You will have to provide me with an authentic copy. Thanks. I look forward to your reply-that is if you want to "waste" your time.

Please rest assured that there is no ego battle. We are all people who have forgotten our ego long back. I personally look for knowledge. I dont think that is a sin. My last say will be only on the day I would be saying good bye. I think that is yet a little far away. If you quit it will be your choice just as your coming in was. Thanks. Brahmins are tough people to handle unlike other sheeps. LOL.

Brahmins are tough people to handle unlike other sheeps. LOL.

Dear Vaagmi ji,

You are reminding me of a song:

In God’s green pastures feeding by His cool waters lie;
Soft in the evening walk my Lord and I,
All the sheep of His pasture
Fare so wondrously fine; His sheep am I.

Source: Hymn: In God?s green pastures feeding

Give Asir ji a chance yaar..lets hear what he has to say too.

BTW why are you saying that Brahmins are tough people to handle?? Arent you a Sattva sweetheart??? LOL

Just say some nice words and you become so cheeeeweet in Forum...so you see give Asir a chance yaar..After all Rigveda does say "Let Noble Thoughts comes from All Directions of the Universe"

So lets hear everything and anything from any source...the word Noble is subject to interpretation ..Ekam Sat Viprah Bahuda Vadanti hang over.

Last edited:
Well! I hardly expected my post in response to Vgane would be misinterpreted out of context.

I show my other face for all the smites.

I hold brahmins in good esteem. some of my brahmin friends and relatives who are also members of this forum are keeping track of the posts in this thread.

The fact that this topic is being resurrected for the 3rd time exposes the identity crisis among brahmins.

To help you resolve the crisis, i humbly request the forum members to introspect, ask the following questions to your own selves and answer the following questions, to your own selves and not to me.

What is my Identity? Who am I? What are my values?

What is my Vision in life? Am i able to make a statement of my vision at the most in 3 sentences?

What is my Mission in life? Am i able to make a statement of my mission at the most in 3 sentences?

What are my long term goals/targets, what is my short term goal/target? Am i clear about my goal/target?

What are the strategies i adopt to achieve my goal/target in life?

if you are not able to answer these questions to your own selves, your quest for your identity will be never-ending. Even if you resurrect the threads 'Who is a brahmin?' and 'Who is a hindu?' numerous times, you will never arrive at a conclusion/resolution.

All the best. May God Bless You all.

Respected Shri Asirvadam,

I am under the impression that you are a friend/colleague of Shri B. Krishnamurthy sir; please correct me if I am wrong.

I have not read all the exchanges under this thread (mainly because this 'existential paradox' of who is a brahmanan?, 'what makes one a brahmanan? etc., have been raised, discussed and given up many times in this forum. I feel the definition ब्रह्मज्ञानीति ब्राह्मणः (brahmajñānīti brāhmaṇaḥ = one who has the knowledge of brahman, is a brahmana) is sufficiently appropriate to define who is a brahmanan. For this, a person should devote sufficient time and make deep contemplation of what that brahman is. Once a person has understood this point, he/she should be able to understand what all (or, at the least, most of the) scriptures try to explain. But just as the saying goes கண்டவர் விண்டிலர், விண்டவர் கண்டிலர் (those who have seen, do not talk; those who speak, have not yet seen) starts operating. People continue to go round in the same old circles, scriptures and the words of great men guide but leave us just short of showing the door to Brahman's residence, so to say!

I am much impressed by the very near accuracy of the descritpion of brahman given by AdiShankara in his ātma pañcakaṃ:

nāhaṃ deho nendriyāṇyantaraṅgaṃ
nāhaṃkāra prāṇavargo na buddhiḥ
dārāptyakṣetravittādi dūraḥ
sākṣī nityaḥ pratyagātmā śivohaṃ

...etc.

I feel the message contained in your post above is also designed to propel the intellect in the same direction as this ātma pañcakaṃ tries to do.

Dear Vaagmi ji,

You are reminding me of a song:

Give Asir ji a chance yaar..lets hear what he has to say too.

BTW why are you saying that Brahmins are tough people to handle?? Arent you a Sattva sweetheart??? LOL

Just say some nice words and you become so cheeeeweet in Forum...so you see give Asir a chance yaar..After all Rigveda does say "Let Noble Thoughts comes from All Directions of the Universe"

So lets hear everything and anything from any source...the word Noble is subject to interpretation ..Ekam Sat Viprah Bahuda Vadanti hang over.

Dear Renuka,

That was a nice song. I liked it.

Asir has plenty of chances. He is a nice guy. Only he has to pick them up. I am all ears to hear him. But it appears he has suddenly become diffident about my ability to grasp what he has got to say. I am helpless on that.

You are my sweetheart as Asir is also one. I hope the glycemic index remains within manageable levels. LOL.

Neither of them is necessary. It is Wisdom to disown Brahminism.

Smt. (?) Kuvalayavalli,

I don't know what you intend to convey by the word "Brahminism". If you are referring to the sense of superiority exhibited by those who are "brahmins by accident of birth" to brahmin parents, then I agree with you. But people who have understood what "Brahman" or the Ultimate Truth in this universe, is, can definitely have a sense of being exclusive or elite as compared to other human beings.

I have yet to meet such a brahmajnaani and so I can't say whether such people have haughtiness or not - of being true "brahmins".

In Hinduism, Brahman (ब्रह्मन् brahman) is "the unchanging reality amidst and beyond the world", which "cannot be exactly defined". It has been described in Sanskrit as Sat-cit-ānanda (being-consciousness-bliss) and as the highest reality.
Brahman is conceived as Atman, personal,impersonal and/or Para Brahman, depending on the philosophical school.
According to Advaita, a liberated human being (jivanmukta) has realised Brahman as his or her own true self.

Is there not even 1 in this forum?

I think it may be one or two in the whole world of humans at any point of time, but we can't know who those persons are. So, may be one member here may be a brahmajnaani but unless he/she comes out and announces.....

I think it may be one or two in the whole world of humans at any point of time, but we can't know who those persons are. So, may be one member here may be a brahmajnaani but unless he/she comes out and announces.....

I would think the number would be even much lower in this kali yuga, I would say 1 in a trillion because has to absolutely stand apart to be a brahmajnaani in this kali yuga.

I watched Nat Geo's story of the earth on youtube and was humbled...

Of course it was all a theory, but fascinating - dust turns into solid, due to gravity, as molten fire and then meteors carrying water crystals bombard the earth... then water is all over our planet. Air forms, and amino acids somehow combine to form life, in water. It is from these first life that everything has sprung about, over millions of years of evolution. We are all from the same source, and so it would seem that the universe is us. Much similar to Tattvamasi.

There is no brahmajnani... we are all part of the (our) universe' endeavour to explore and entertain (ourself) itself...

I refer to Post No.337 by Shri.Sangom.
I wish to clarify that I do not know Shri.Asirvadam. He is not my Friend.
Perhaps,Shri.Sangom had my friend Mr.T.V.T.Chari (an Iyengar converted to Christianity)in mind whilwriting Post No.337.
My friend T.V.T.Chari became a member of this Forum on 6/2/2011 under the name "Thingadam" a short form of 'Tiruvenkadam'.
To my knowledge,he has not participated in any Discussion except his one posting in "Introduce Yourself" under Sl.No.1966

I would think the number would be even much lower in this kali yuga, I would say 1 in a trillion because has to absolutely stand apart to be a brahmajnaani in this kali yuga.

I thought Lord Krishna was clear that hardly one knows Him..so too bad guys there is no Brahmajnaani!

Out of many thousands among men, one may endeavor for perfection, and of those who have achieved perfection, hardly one knows Me in truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back