• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Whither Indian Culture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Turkey has been the most liberal muslim country due to proximity to west and Kamal ataturk.

Turkish teleserials in Zindagi channel of Zee TV depict their lifestyle .

The voices are dubbed in hindi.

Far better than our soaps.

I am aware of such strict dress codes for women in Saudi. I need not go there. I wish such strict codes visit India.

Are you for real? In your personal life do you know younger women, talk with them?
You are putting Indian women in a Golden Cage that you call culture. Ask women what they want, instead of dictating.

the companies are living in glass houses themselves hence they would dare not throw stones at others.

'we are not culturally evolved...' do you mean to say indians are not culturally evolved yet? do you mean to say indians are still living in stone age?

It looks like some people claiming to live in a modern world (using the Internet) would want to deny others the pleasure of the same world. Then they invent this mythical time and call it culture as if time is frozen for others.

Culture: the way of life, especially the general customs and beliefs, of a particular group of people at a particular time.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/culture

The word "Time" is very important in that definition.

sir, dress is just one instance of a large class termed 'culture'. it is just one element in which I fear our women and also men, are deteriorating. I am not worried about office going females, but their perversion.

Please GSji,
Rajiji is am an esteemed member of this forum, and she is a woman.

She Can Wear What She Wants Because She Lives in a Free Country Called India

“Girls should not wear provocative clothes.”
“Tight clothes and jeans cause rape.”
“Good Indian girls cover up.”
“She was a bit of a loose character anyway.”
“Cellphones in the hands of women is what is causing trouble.”

If you live in India, chances are you have heard the above lines. Despite all the increased attention and deliberations on crimes against women, this “it-was-kind-of-her-fault” narrative refuses to die down. It is not just limited to ordinary citizens. We have had people in power make similar statements. Many religious organization heads believe the same, as do large sections of the police force. Sure, feminists scream and, with media outrage, shut down such people. However, deep down, the beliefs remain.

Sensitivity to women’s issues will come from educating our broad population about power, individual rights and free will. Meanwhile, she can and she will wear whatever she wants. Not because she is modern or inspired by the West or has corrupted her values. It is simply because she is a free citizen living in a free country called India. And don’t you dare try to deny her that.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/chetan-bhagat/wear-what-she-wants-india_b_6278272.html

Last edited:

Dress code is prescribed by the Courts... and not by Ram Bhagat.....

Madras HC prescribes dress code at temples

In a significant judgment, the Madras High Court Bench here on Tuesday prescribed a dress code for men, women and even children wanting to visit temples maintained by Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments (HR and CE) Department across the State.

Justice S. Vaidyanathan ordered that from January 1 men should wear a “dhoti or pyjama with upper cloth or formal pants and shirts” to temples and women should wear “a sari or a half sari or churidhar with upper cloth.” Children could wear “any fully covered dress.”

He directed the HR and CE Commissioner to issue a circular to all temples under his jurisdiction to strictly adhere to the dress code.

However, temples where men were prohibited from wearing an upper cloth could continue the practice, he clarified.
The judge also said that his order should be followed as an interim measure till the State government takes a policy decision as expeditiously as possible to prescribe a similar dress code in order to enhance the spiritual ambience among devotees.

“The temples which are not coming within the purview of the Government shall enforce their own dress code… Police shall not allow devotees inside any Hindu Temple of Tamil Nadu who wear dresses other than the one prescribed,” the judge ordered.

Observing that the object of imposing dress code was to restrict devotees who visit temple in “improper clothing,” the judge said that all religions, including Christianity and Islam, prescribe a decent, neat and disciplined dress code for worshipping their respective Gods.

Read more at: http://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...bes-dress-code-at-temples/article13994046.ece

Here is another order of the High Court....

HC closes PIL on lawyers' dress code in lower courts

Excerpts:

Advocates had no choice in the matter of dresswhile appearing in court and might not be permitted to appear if not properlyattired. "The dress code is a symbol of the dignity, honour, wisdom andjustice. They cannot attend court wearing T shirt and jeans," hesubmitted. As per the code, male advocates should wear black buttoned coat,Chakpan, Achkan, black sherwani, white banks with advocate gowns or a blackopen breasted coat. The long trousers should be white or black striped or grey.Lady advocates also could wear coat, sarees, long skirts or churidar, kurta orsalwar kurta in subdued colours. But some women lawyers wear bright coloursarees, he said. The petitioner also sought a direction to the RegistrarGeneral of the Madras High court to issue an administrative order tosubordinate judicial officers not to permit advocates to appear before courtwithout proper uniform.

Read more at: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...code-in-lower-courts/articleshow/52692640.cms

Last edited by a moderator:
Why these Educational Institutions prescribe dress code for students....?

Kerala And Kolkata Say No To Jeans, Tops And Skirts, Introduce Dress Code For College Students

A Muslim women's college in Kerala wants students to shun jeans, tops, while Kolkata college bans jewellery for boys.
Cracking down on tight jeans, short tops and leggings, a north Kerala women's college has decided to introduce uniforms for its students from this academic year, which also gives the go-by to the niqab for Muslim students

Read moe at: http://www.indiatimes.com/news/indi...e-dress-code-for-college-students-234144.html

This is for law college.....

BCI springs into action, sends dress code resolution to all law schools: Prefer students to wear shirt & trousers

The Bar Council of India (BCI) noticed the “gradually detracting” (sic) “standard of dresses by the students of law all over the country” and recommended all law colleges to devise their own dress codes “befitting the profession”, but “it would be preferable” if a dress codes of white shirt with white, black or grey trousers was followed.

The BCI sent the note to all Indian law colleges last Thursday, 7 April 2016, although it had originally passed the resolution attached to the letter on 18 October 2015.

On Wednesday, 6 April, Legally India had first reported the controversy at NLSIU Bangalore over a professor chastising a student for wearing shorts to a lecture, with most mainstream media beginning to carry the news the day the BCI’s letter was dated.

Read more at : http://www.legallyindia.com/lawscho...word-1-day-after-nls-shortsgate-20160411-7434

<Do not post immodest pictures.>

Is it Indian "CULTURE" to control a woman by men?

If you agree with that May you grow up.

If Indian Culture is to allow women to prosper and thrive, let her be free.

Maini Mahanta, the editor of the Assamese women's magazine Nandini ("Daughter"), believes the NCW chair's remarks are indicative of what she calls the "Taliban-plus" mentality that is creeping into Indian society. "In this part of the world, it's worse than the Taliban," she insists in her Guwahati office. "At least the Taliban are open about what they like and dislike. Here, society is so hypocritical. We worship female goddesses and yet fail to protect women from these crimes and then blame them too."

Nowadays, for women confidence is hard to come by even when it seems like we've made leaps in the right direction. Despite movements calling for body positivity and acceptance, women especially still find it difficult to step into the public eye feeling judgment-free, particularly so in India at least among the old timers.

Last edited:
Falcon or whatever your latest avatar is, you might have been in law enforcement in your life, but here you are just an ordinary member like us. So tone down your policing, put down your nightstick, and handcuffs. Leave it to the moderator.

I post the source when I copy an article in its entirety. When I just copy a line or part of another article in my post I do not put down the source. It would be too distracting.

Falcon or whatever your latest avatar is, you might have been in law enforcement in your life, but here you are just an ordinary member like us. So tone down your policing, put down your nightstick, and handcuffs. Leave it to the moderator.

I post the source when I copy an article in its entirety. When I just copy a line or part of another article in my post I do not put down the source. It would be too distracting.

Why do you bother about my avatar or past....?

You may justify your act of committing .....

The truth is always bitter.... and a biased mind don't take things in the right sense. lol

Try to learn your limit and stop dictating others.

Prasadji

Fault finding is a mindset.

If one has been doing it for a lifetime because of professional compulsions,it is difficult to overcome it easily.LOl'

Many like this take satisfaction out of that.

When the have nothing better to do, they run down others finding out their faults.

Prasadji

Fault finding is a mindset.

If one has been doing it for a lifetime because of professional compulsions,it is difficult to overcome it easily.LOl'

Many like this take satisfaction out of that.

When the have nothing better to do, they run down others finding out their faults.

False committing is also a mindset

Here comes our Aasthana sadhu..... who don't want anyone to find fault.... and one can freely go on committing all sorts of faults without anyone reporting.

The Forum is not a bunch of ......... to accept and admit whatever one write from borrowed source(Not revealing the original source)

And one cannot expect every member as a spineless 'Bangle Mami' to reply as 'YES SIR' to whatever one writes. LOL

If one is running short of original thought, try to admit it.
<You were warned not to post against individual>
<you are banned from this thread>

LOL

There is no point in lamenting about how females dress up.

When no dress code is imposed, they are free to wear what they want.

And....... it is better to learn to see the face and talk! :cool:

Culture is "refinement". There is no standards for this. For instance look at an old family photograph and see how our old generation had dressed themselves. Now compare that with present day dress, we will understand what changes has taken place in our thinking
There is no use of lamenting over the changes in our attitude in the past and present. Look at our attitude towards caste difference. There is not a single family which has not affected by intercaste wedding or divorce. If we do an honest enquiry for this we will understand reasons.
Changes will happen and no one can stop them. " ...Changes "parivarthan" is the rule "niyam" says the Lord, it cannot be stopped.
Brahmanyan
Bangalore.

Last edited:
This post by Sri. London Swaminathan is relevant to this thread. :)

''Change is inevitable. It is a natural law.
Nothing remains stagnant in the world, nay, universe.
Earth is orbiting the sun.Sun is orbiting, milky way is rushing towards unknown destination.
They say it is moving towards stars in the Leo Constellation.
All the galaxies are expanding. What is the end. We don't know.
But one thing is certain. Everything is changing.
No one can stop the changes. So, what is wrong in asking for a change?

I dont dress like my dad.
My dad didn't dress like his dad.
My son is already asking for design clothes with famous brand names.

My granddad did Tri Kala Sandhyavandhana
My dad did Sandhya vandhana two times a day.
I am doing only in the morning before mingling with the mad rush of London crowd.
My son is doing Sanhyavandhana nearly daily.
His son.......? God only knows. We are all washed away in the flood of Time (kaala Vellam).
Let us welcome CHANGE.''

Source: தமிழ்த் தாய் வாழ்த்தை மாற்றுக!

As I wrote earlier, the word 'culture' that means customs, traditions, social behavior, collective intellectual achievement of a society does not exist in our vocabulary. We have saMpradAya and saMskrti.

saMpradAya are what we have inherited like dress, rituals, food habits etc. saMpradAya varies and changes. It is based on the environmental need and dependencies. saMskrti is made of eight Atma gunas that we need to develop, because these gunas help us to work as a team, as a society is a team working together towards its progress.

We often confuse saMpradAya with saMskrti, as a result of our western outlook.

-TBT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back