• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vow to speak Brahmin Tamil

Status
Not open for further replies.
'Ayya' means any elderly or respectable male person or one who occupies some position and wielding authority.

'Appa' is to denote not only father, but also an elderly male. 'Ammaiappan', 'appan', 'appar' (Thirunavukkarasar) are some related words.

Our bhakthi literature uses the word 'appa' in many places, contexts and works of varying times especially from 6th century onwards.

Please go to Wikipedia to find how many Tamil words have gone into English language.

I feel, at least the present generation can pronoun Tamizh words perfectly...

For example, can say - Tamizh, instead of Tamil; Vaazha Pazham, instead of Vaala Palam; Mazhai - instead of Malai; Azhugai - instead of Alugai; Azhagu, instead of Alagu......

Wouldn't it be nice if it wold have been - www.tamizhbrahmins.com ?? Just a light hearted thought. Excuse me if it's annoying..

Sri Praveen ji, hope you will spare me for the above remarks....:)

That is, it would be nice if we could make correct sound "zha" for the appropriate tamizh words...

I feel, at least the present generation can pronoun Tamizh words perfectly...

For example, can say - Tamizh, instead of Tamil; Vaazha Pazham, instead of Vaala Palam; Mazhai - instead of Malai; Azhugai - instead of Alugai; Azhagu, instead of Alagu......

Wouldn't it be nice if it wold have been - www.tamizhbrahmins.com ?? Just a light hearted thought. Excuse me if it's annoying..

Sri Praveen ji, hope you will spare me for the above remarks....:)

That is, it would be nice if we could make correct sound "zha" for the appropriate tamizh words...

Sir,

It is "Vaazhai Pazham" and not "Vazha Palam". "Vaazha" is yet another word in Tamil which means 'To live'.

"Tamil Brahmins" is alright instead of Tamizhbrahmins. The 'zha' is unique for Tamil. Other languages don't have an equalent alphabet because that sound (phoneam) is not available in other languages. Hence others could not pronounce the sound. It is the sound that matters. Only Tamilians and Malayalees can pronounce that sound.

Regards,
Iyer

Last edited:
Dear Mr. Iyer,
The Americans can and do pronounce 'ழ' very well. In fact it seems to have replaced the letter 'R'. It will be difficult to understand their conversation unless we replace the '
' sounds with R :)
So you can imagine the way they say words like 'four', 'room', 'arrive', 'reverse' and 'reserve'.
I think
'ழ' is the most used alphabet in USA!
with warm regards,
V.R.

Dear Mr. Pannavalan,
I was not just joking :)

Our English is more like the British English where R is pronounced as it should be!
But the Americans speak mostly using the special alphabet 'zha'.
It is both amusing and confusing. Previously I too had thought that 'zha' belonged to only to Tamil Nadu and Kerala!
with warm regards,
V.R.

Dear Mr. Pannavalan,
I was not just joking :)

Our English is more like the British English where R is pronounced as it should be!
But the Americans speak mostly using the special alphabet 'zha'.
It is both amusing and confusing. Previously I too had thought that 'zha' belonged to only to Tamil Nadu and Kerala!
with warm regards,
V.R.

Smt. Visalakshi Ji,

I really could realize only now from your most interesting and viable info that the sound "zha" is common in the spoken communication of the American natives...

Thanks you so much...

Dear Mr. Ravi,

The அமேழிகன்ஸ் speak அமேழிகன் English!

It is not just the natives. All immigrants, even Indians learn this accent- so that they won't stick out like sore thumbs, in the crowd!

You can trust me :)

I have visited USA five times and spent about two and half years there.

with warm regards,
V.R.

Last edited:
My dear friends,

The questions 'சித்தியா? சித்தியாவா?'made me think about how we make questions from different words!

For words ending in
'அ' and 'ஆ' sound we seem to use 'வா?'
கங்கா becomes கங்காவா?
அல்வா becomes அல்வாவா?

Words ending in 'இ' and 'ஈ' we seem to use the letter 'யா?'
பிங்கி becomes பிங்கியா?
மங்கி becomes மங்கியா?

Again the words ending in 'உ' and 'ஊ' seem to use 'வா?'
சாம்பு becomes சாம்புவா?
வேம்பு becomes வேம்புவா?

Words ending in 'எ' and 'ஏ' we seem to use 'யா?'.
Sunday becomes Sunday யா?
Monday becomes Monday யா?

Words ending in 'ஐ' take the letter 'யா?'
ரம்பை becomes ரம்பையா?
மேஜை becomes மேஜையா?

Words ending in 'ஓ' use the letter 'வா?' .
ஷிண்டோ becomes ஷிண்டோவா? .

Words ending in consonants just take 'ஆ?'
பால் becomes பாலா?
கால் becomes காலா ?
பீர் becomes பீரா ?
முள் becomes முள்ளா?

I seek your confirmation / contradictions / corrections-whichever is applicable!

with warm regards,
V.R.

yes I fully agree why should tamil brahmin shy of talking brahminical tamil. I insist and I do speak the speak we the tamil brahmin speak tamil which is mixure of sanskrit and tamil. I remember Paramachariyal used to speak only in brahmin tamil with whoever he used to speak. I have noticed in tamil nadu that brahmins are influenced with non-brahmin tamil. I dont critisize non-brahmin tamil but I only say whey not we stick to our way. let us start this movement. we go full-throat

Dear Mr. Ravi,

The அமேழிகன்ஸ் speak அமேழிகன் English!

It is not just the natives. All immigrants, even Indians learn this accent- so that they won't stick out like sore thumbs, in the crowd!

You can trust me :)

I have visited USA five times and spent about two and half years there.

with warm regards,
V.R.

Smt.Visalakshi ji,

Off course I can trust you........We have couple of American clients among many clients of different nationalities with whom I need to interact..So I know the American accent and the US migrants who all got it in them in their way of using "zha" in English words....Your examples in post #105 clearly reveals.

It is just that, it didn't strike me ever to relate with our usage of "zha". You got it to my notice :)

The words are continued . These word are commonly used in my house. Any other alternate words in Brahminical dialects are welcome.

Proud - அகங்காரம், அகம்பாவம், அகந்தை
Coincidence - அகஸ்மாத்து
Fraudster - அகாதன</SPAN>
</SPAN>Bad time - அகாலம</SPAN>
World - அகிலம</SPAN>
</SPAN>Non-Violence - அஹிம்சை
Brahmin Colony - அக்ரஹாரம</SPAN>
</SPAN>Fraud - அக்கிரமம</SPAN>
</SPAN>Fire – அக்னி, நெருப்ப</SPAN>
</SPAN>Part of the Body - அங்கம</SPAN>
</SPAN>Physically Challenged - அங்கஹீனன்

Thanks and Regards,
KRR
KANNAN RANGARAJAN

Dear Mr. Ravi,
Awaiting your reply for # 110.
with warm regards,
V.R.

Smt. Visalakshi ji,

In response to your post #110......

My dear friends,

The questions 'சித்தியா? சித்தியாவா?'made me think about how we make questions from different words!

For words ending in
'அ' and 'ஆ' sound we seem to use 'வா?'
கங்கா becomes கங்காவா?
அல்வா becomes அல்வாவா?

Words ending in 'இ' and 'ஈ' we seem to use the letter 'யா?'
பிங்கி becomes பிங்கியா?
மங்கி becomes மங்கியா?

Again the words ending in 'உ' and 'ஊ' seem to use 'வா?'
சாம்பு becomes சாம்புவா?
வேம்பு becomes வேம்புவா?

Words ending in 'எ' and 'ஏ' we seem to use 'யா?'.
Sunday becomes Sunday யா?
Monday becomes Monday யா?

Words ending in 'ஐ' take the letter 'யா?'
ரம்பை becomes ரம்பையா?
மேஜை becomes மேஜையா?

Words ending in 'ஓ' use the letter 'வா?' .
ஷிண்டோ becomes ஷிண்டோவா? .

Words ending in consonants just take 'ஆ?'
பால் becomes பாலா?
கால் becomes காலா ?
பீர் becomes பீரா ?
முள் becomes முள்ளா?

I seek your confirmation / contradictions / corrections-whichever is applicable!

with warm regards,
V.R.

I didn't see anything in deviation above that requires contradictions and or corrections....

Having schooling in Kendriya Vidhyalaya through out, I don't have good command of literary Tamizh. But, since we speak only in Tamizh at home, I can speak effortlessly (obviously, its my mother tongue). Thus I can say that, the points that you have highlighted above are all very much true and common to both NB's and B's as a language.

Last edited:
Word List # 3

அங்கீகரணம் -- Accept
அங்குசம் -- control, restrain
அசந்தர்ப்பம் -- no time, wrong time
அசமந்தம் -- dull, lazy
அசரீரி -- voice from sky , radio
ஆகாசவாணி -- radio
அசல் -- principal, sum invested
அஜாக்கிரதை -- careless
அசாத்தியம் – impossible, splendid
அஜீரணம் -- indigestion
அசுத்தம் -- impure
அசுபம் – bad omen
அஸ்வம் -- horse
அஞ்சனம் – black, kajal

Thanks and Regards,
KRR
KANNAN RANGARAJAN

Namassadhasae.

I am a Tamil Brahmin, living in the capital of Tamil Nadu State. Brahminical language may have relevance only when we are in the midst of our community persons. In a gathering of 'bahulam', containing various groups, the general language, which is understood by all, need to be used, is my view. I recall the word which has a sanctified meaning -'mama'. No person can be a better well wisher to a person than a brother of one's mother. Because our community uses this word, others started making funny meaning for this word and we now feel somewhat guilty to be called as 'mama'. Let Brahmin Tamizh have its identity in brahmin household and among the community members. We need not feel shy for speaking in Brahmin Tamizh freely in our circles, but when we communicate to a different gathering, let us confine to normal language

Our Media including serials in TV use this Brahmin Tamil and in a way we have to thank them for keeping the language this way. There are also occasions in the same media, when we get an impression that our language is ridiculed.

There are many ways to keep Brahminism up in our houses and cicles, which we have conveniently forgotten. We have to find out these areas and make the corrections , wherever required, pls.

அவரவர் இச்சையில் எவை எவை உற்றவை
அவை தருவித்தருள் பெருமாளே!

I endorse your views. My idea is to promote Brahmin version of Tamil in our community circle and there is nothing to feel shy about it. At the same time as you have mentioned we shall speak in a fashion bereft of any particular community slant when we are in the midst of all kinds of people.

I feel like praveen has started this website for ******* similararly a website can be started to propogate tamil in right diction and accent and pronounciation, grammar. coz its the least expensive method rather than opening a separate school or institution for the purpose.
coz tamil if not spoken correctly then others will feel as if the two speaking are quarelling.
its sad that majority of tamil nadu speaks that slang tamil and very few speak tamil beautifully.
infact i downloaded tamil nadu text books and amma found loads of grammatical mistakes therein.

Last edited:
(reply to #115 amd # 116)

Dear Mr. Ravi and Mr. Pannvalan,

Thank you for your feedback.

I sat and thought to find a formula for the process of converting words into questions.

We do it merely out of our practice, without giving it a thought.

May be I wasted my time and also your time. But I am not sorry :)

with warm regards,
V.R.

Word List No #4

அஞ்ஞாதவாசம் -
அஞ்ஞாதம் - abscond
அஞ்ஞானம் - ignorance
அக்ஷரம் - letter
அட்டகாசம் – splendid, bluff
அதிகம் - more
அதிகாந்தம் – very beautiful
அதிகாரம் - power
அதிகாரி – in charge, leader
அதிசயம் - wonder
அதிர்ஷ்டம் - luck
அதிதி - guest
அதோகதி – hopeless situation

Thanks and Regards,
KRR
KANNAN RANGARAJAN

(reply to #115 amd # 116)

Dear Mr. Ravi and Mr. Pannvalan,

Thank you for your feedback.

I sat and thought to find a formula for the process of converting words into questions.

We do it merely out of our practice, without giving it a thought.

May be I wasted my time and also your time. But I am not sorry :)

with warm regards,
V.R.

Smt.Visalakshi ji,

Its not at all my waste of time in responding to your post #110. While carefully reading your post upon your prompt, with some efforts (as I can not read and write Tamizh effortlessly) I could read them all out and found interesting...I enjoyed going through it and thus could pass on to you my comments.

As you said, we merely do it out of our practice and never realize the formations... I could well understand your penchant in literature and poems of your own....I got to know through other thread of yours that you have inborn talent to write poems on different subjects/themes...Since I can not read Tamizh easily, I am unable to enjoy your work :(

But am happy to have a chance to share my views with you :)..I can well feel that you are a sweet mom and may also be a sweet granny...:)

I request you to address me just - Ravi

With love and regards...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back