• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Vow to speak Brahmin Tamil

Status
Not open for further replies.
(reply to # 124)

Dear (Mr) Ravi,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sure you will brush up your Tamil for various reasons listed below.

1.It is your mother tongue.

2.It is never too late to do/ start a good thing.

3. At my age I am learning Sanskrit which is 100 times tougher than our dear and sweet Tamil.

4.Not even the best translation can give the pleasure of reading the original (Moolam).

with bet wishes,
V.R.

reply to #125.
dear Mr. Rajan,
One of my principles is
"Be the first one to congratulate and the last one to condemn a person".
Small wonder that I rushed in to congratulate you, on your good presentation.
looking forward for more and more useful words :)
with best wishes,
V.R.

(reply to # 124)

Dear (Mr) Ravi,

Thank you for your feedback. I am sure you will brush up your Tamil for various reasons listed below.

1.It is your mother tongue.

2.It is never too late to do/ start a good thing.

3. At my age I am learning Sanskrit which is 100 times tougher than our dear and sweet Tamil.

4.Not even the best translation can give the pleasure of reading the original (Moolam).

with bet wishes,
V.R.

Thank you so much for your encouragement Smt. Visalakshi ji. I shall try my best as and when possible to excel in reading and writing Tamizh effortlessly.

Its really great that you have liking towards Sanskrit and learning it. We had schooling in Kendriya Vidhyalaya (CBSE) through out where we had compulsory Sanskrit subject from 6th Standard up to 9th. We siblings could do well and enjoyed the literature/language a lot..After that no chance to be in practice. I now can hardly remember few worlds. Hopefully at the stage of my retirement, I may start learning Sanskrit and enjoy its essence..

Dear (Mr)Rajan,

When I was in High school the Anti Hindi Agitation was at its peak. All the Hindi

teachers were transferred to clerical jobs, since they can't be sent out. We can't

even utter the word Hindi, without inviting trouble!

So even if we want to learn, there are people who discourage or prevent us from

learning new languages. That is Life!

I am sure by allotting a few minutes (may be half an hour every day) you can

progress really fast in Tamil. Less number of alphabets than in Sanskrit is a plus

point. Since you know spoken Tamil, you can correctly guess the pronunciation of

the words.

Good luck and best wishes,
V.R.

(reply to #128)
TO RAVI SIR ONLY (others need not reply)

SIR with due respect to u my STATE IS also like u. MYSELF NOT KNOW TAMIL. but sanskrit i read upto 9th and hindi till 10th in kvfri and kvtg in dehradoon and delhi. only in house we used to CONVERSE in tamil. sanskrit i forgot we used to read manika books. born and brought up in northern areas so not too familiar with culture. but im determined to learn tamil, sanskrit, brahmi, tibetan and punjabi gurumukhi and at the same time keep my knowledge in hindi strong as ever. as well as ancient vedic scriptures.
I have realised no one will help so i browse web and download materials etc. listen to old tamil songs, rig veda mp3s etc .

Last edited:
Word List # 5

நான் - I
நாம / நாம்ப - We (with listener)
நாங்க – We (without listener)

நீ - You
நீங்க / நீர் – You (Polite)

அவன் - He
அவள் - She
அவா – He/She (Polite)
அவாள் – They (Polite)

அது - It
அதெல்லாம் - those

நமஸ்காரம் - Namsakaram

உன் பேர் என்ன – Whats ur name ?
உங்க பேர் என்ன – Whats ur name ? (Polite)
உம்ம பேர் என்ன – Whats ur name ? (Polite)

நன்னா இருக்கியா – How r u ?
நன்னா இருக்கேளா – How r u ? (Polite)
நன்னா இருக்கீரா – How r u ? (Polite)

சௌக்கியமா இருக்கியா – How r u ?
சௌக்கியமா இருக்கேளா – How r u ? (Polite)
சௌக்கியமா இருக்கீரா – How r u ? (Polite)

பேஷா இருக்கேன் – I am fine
நன்னா இருக்கேன் – I am fine
எதோ இருக்கேன் – Going on. Not bad

உங்க ஆம் எங்க இருக்கு – Where is ur house ? (Polite)
உம்ம ஆம் எங்க இருக்க – Where is ur house ? (Polite)
உன்னோட ஆம் எங்க இருக்கு – Where is ur house ?

Thanks and Regards,

KRR
KANNAN RANGARAJAN

(reply to #128)
TO RAVI SIR ONLY (others need not reply)

SIR with due respect to u my STATE IS also like u. MYSELF NOT KNOW TAMIL. but sanskrit i read upto 9th and hindi till 10th in kvfri and kvtg in dehradoon and delhi. only in house we used to CONVERSE in tamil. sanskrit i forgot we used to read manika books. born and brought up in northern areas so not too familiar with culture. but im determined to learn tamil, sanskrit, brahmi, tibetan and punjabi gurumukhi and at the same time keep my knowledge in hindi strong as ever. as well as ancient vedic scriptures.
I have realised no one will help so i browse web and download materials etc. listen to old tamil songs, rig veda mp3s etc .
Sri Ramanujan ji,

The same is our upbringing.....My dad served Indian Air Force for 36 years and we were all moving with him from one state to another. Those are the golden days of our lives. We rejoiced multicultural social environment & the specialty and greatness of each ethnic group. We were in Delhi, Assam, Jodhpur and at last in Nasik before settling down in Chennai, just 2 years prior to my dad's retirement from defense service.

We got to know something in each of these places, about their culture, food, behavior and costumes. When we were in Nasik (Maharashtra), as a special drive, we got to learn Marathi for a year in our school. Marathi is very easy to learn as the letters are almost the same as Hindi. So as the Sanskrit and was our favorite.

From the time we settled down in Chennai and school days were over, the only choice of Hindi in communication (other than English) was no more. But whenever we could interact with your school friends and got to speak with Marvaris/North Indians, we readily converse in Hindi, grinning like a Cheshire Cat. Among brothers we converse in Hindi too at times. Being in Dubai now got more chance to speak in Hindi.

I am thrilled to find you having such a great liking and drive towards learning multiple languages. Especially noting your interest towards Brahmi, Punjabi gurumukhi & Tibetan, my jaw dropped.

Its great that you have the killer instinct to leave no stone unturned in your efforts towards learning these languages :thumb:

At this juncture I can say that I am nothing more than a dilettante. But off course, having interest in music, listening to all kinds of Hindi and Tamil songs is my routine. I need to mange to spare my time towards learning Tamizh and Sanskrit amidst my hectic work schedules, hopefully. Or at least during post retirement.

Sri, Ramanujan ji, I am just 34 years young, unmarried guy...You may please in future address me just Ravi...

Dear V.R,

My schooling was a mixture of State Board, CBSE and ICSE and I was hopping from one school to another due to my family relocation. So by 3rd Standard Hindi was my 2nd Language. Because of Dakshin Bharat Hindi Prachar
Sabha also, I was able to become well versed in Hindi.

As far as Tamil goes, I continued the Tamil learning at home. It was necessary as we need to know the Divya Prabandham and during the month of Margazhi we go for Goshti recital of it.

I also used to read a lot of novels, lietrature etc in Tamil as I do not want to miss the treasure of my Mother Tongue .

As most of my friends are North Indians it often happens that many times I speak Hindi at home which I find it difficult to overcome.

So by getting acquainted with the Tamil words again, I may able to achieve my Objective. It serves me dual purpose.

I want to get some info from you. From which book are u getting the Sankrit words that u r posting in the other thread. Can u share the info?

Thanks and Regards,
KRR
KANNAN RANGARAJN

okeye actually once i addressed one in this forum as dude and later found that he was around 45 yrs old almost twice my age i was embarassed so i make it a point to add sir or shri.
as far as defence is concerned i studied in kvfri where IMA is. so it was normal to c jawans marching in half pant in their cycles. i still get goose bumps when i go there. but now security is tight. school days r precious as anything u c.
actually i born in chembur mumbai. my mother knows marathi a bit and hindi and english while tamil is superstrong. infact my paati lives in mumbai in chembur.
As far as food is concerned my preference is always roti subjee which many in chennai don't take kindly.
infact when i go to trichy and speak tamil they call me seth or jee. its irritating.
yes in dubai there r pakistanis who know urdu and urdu and hindi is very similar apart from script and higher vocab. infact language in delhi is hindustani not hindi which is similar words b/w hindi and urdu and pure hindi is very rarily spoken.and punjabi is 3rd language after hindi in dilli.
yes people here r surprised when they see me speak such fluent hindi say how come u speak hindi tamils hate hindi. i say that majority of tamils outside tn esp young generation donno tamil written and read and there is lack of schools etc.
there is no better school to learn than google search. just click and go to website and find whatever u r interested in. the power of internet now i realise.
whether it be mp3 of sudha raghunathan or vedic music to everything from pin to plane.
i luv naan and paneer sabjee and once i accompanied one my frnd in trichy to a gujju's home and we ate aalloo, raita and roti and my iyer frnd ate uncomfortably. i was laughing inside. lolz.

Last edited:
Dear Mr. Ravi,
# 129 was meant for you!
I had typed Mr. Rajan's name by oversight.
First time such a thing has happened.
I will make sure that it doesn't happen again :)
with warm regards,
V.R.

reply to # 133.
Dear Mr. Rajan,
It is not a secret. I have an old bulky Sanskrit-Hindi-Tamil-English Dictionary presented to my sons by my father.
Actually I am using it more than my sons ever did.
I can't give all the words. Don't know how many years it might take. So I am selecting the words used in Tamil, Malayalam and Telugu and presenting them with their multiple meanings and correct pronunciation.
with best wishes,
V.R.

Dear V.R,

I am looking for a Sanskrit Tamil dictionary. The reason is that when we teach slokas to my brother's son/daughter , I personally think it would be better for them to understand the meanings and by heart rather than just
do a mug up of it. I do have a Sanskrit-Tamil dictionary. But it is of 50 pages only. The words in them are also limited. Thats y I was looking for an online sankrit dictionary. There are some but they are not what I expect.

As soon as I found the collection of words presented by u, just wanted to know the Book name and author so that I can buy one if available.

Thanks and Regards,

KRR
KANNAN RANGARAJAN

I have one Sanskrit-Hindi-English-Tamil dictionary published by Dakshin Bharat Hindi Prachar Sabha, Trichy, 4 decades ago. It is quite useful. In addition, I have one book written by one Sanskrit teacher from Kalpathi, Palghat. (I don't recollect the author's name readily). This book is also an old publication.

Knowledge of classic Tamil and Sanskrit will help one learn all the South Indian languages very easily.

hi Ravi,
being a retired army junior commissioned officer... i born in tamil nadu..brought up in kerala..studied in andhra..moved to karnataka..

served in assam/delhi/punjab/kashmir/gujarat/maharashtra...due to army work....i learned more than 10 indian languages other

than english and sanskrit/hindi...even my family speaks more than 3 languages in home....being in USA even my children learned

spanish too.....languages based on neccessity and environment....especially defence background...we have to survival is the fittest...

so we need more interest to learn languages.....i can write/read/ speak all south languages fluently.....my mother tongue tamil...

in school malayalam...in home tamilalayalam...in college telugu.....in work state kannada.....so the environmental compulsions

somretimes....

regards
tbs

Dear Mr. Iyer,
The Americans can and do pronounce 'ழ' very well. In fact it seems to have replaced the letter 'R'. It will be difficult to understand their conversation unless we replace the '' sounds with R :)
So you can imagine the way they say words like 'four', 'room', 'arrive', 'reverse' and 'reserve'.
I think 'ழ' is the most used alphabet in USA!
with warm regards,
V.R.
Dear Mz Ramani,

The 'R' pronounced by the Americans is not exactly 'ZHA' of Tamil. Their 'R' sound is called Rhotic R which is entirely different from 'ZHA'. If you closely watch and observe the Americans when they speak, you will notice the difference. They cannot pronounce 'Thamizh', 'Pazhamm' etc as we do.

Regards,
Iyer

Dear Mr. Iyer,
The 'zha' pronounced by Americans may have a special name and a special accent, but definitely it is NOT 'R' :)
Of course they can't pronounce 'pazham' and 'tamizh'
They can't even dream of being able to repeat my name :)
with warm regards,
V.R.

dear Mr. Rajan,
Mine is a Learner's Dictionary, published by
Samskrit Sevaratna
Sri. T.V.Viswanatha Aiyer,
Secretary,
The Samskrit Education Society (Regd)
16,East Mada Street,
Mylapore,
Madras-600004
( year - 1980).
Good luck for finding it :)
with best wishes,
V.R.

Last edited:
Mr.tbs,
You are really great!
Knowing up to five languages is quite common. (English, Hindi, mother tongue and languages of the state we live in and probably that of the neighboring state).
But being proficient in ten languages is unthinkable for most people!
with warm regards,
V.R.

"zha" pronunciation

Dear Mr. Iyer,
The 'zha' pronounced by Americans may have a special name and a special accent, but definitely it is NOT 'R' :)
Of course they can't pronounce 'pazham' and 'tamizh'
They can't even dream of being able to repeat my name :)
with warm regards,
V.R.

Except in few parts of Tamizh Nadu the syllable is not pronounced properly. Around Madras "pazham" is pronouced as "payam" and around Madurai it is pronounced "palam".

Only in Kerala it is pronounced properly whole of the state.

It is therefore unfair to expect the white races to get it right. I suppose in French there is syllable very close to our "zh" as while Jean is pronounced. Someone conversant with French can enlighten..

Regards,
Swami

Mr.tbs,
You are really great!
Knowing up to five languages is quite common. (English, Hindi, mother tongue and languages of the state we live in and probably that of the neighboring state).
But being proficient in ten languages is unthinkable for most people!
with warm regards,
V.R.
hi V R
Thank u so much...எல்லா புகழும் இறைவனுக்கே ....அவன் இன்றி ஒரு அணுவும் அசையாது......

மிக்க நன்றி
tbs

(Reply to # 144).

Dear Mr. Swami,

I don't think the color of the skin has anything to do with the pronunciation.

People just don't try hard enough!

All the three sounds 'la' ,'La' and 'zha' are pronounced by bending back the tongue into the mouth.

Of course 'la' is the easiest. 'La' slightly harder since the tongue has to curve a bit more and for 'zha' the tongue has to be curved right next to the throat.

When I was a child I have heard elders comment when they come across a person unable to differentiate 'la' , 'La' and 'zha' ,
"
நாக்கிலே தர்பையை வெச்சுப் பொசுக்கணம்" :)

May be there is a real message in it.
with warm regards,
V.R.

dear Mr. tbs,
It is very rare to find a person who had 'Vidhdhai' and also 'Vinayam'
You stand much taller in my opinion now!
with warm regards,
V.R.
hi V R

VIDHYA DADHAATI VINAYAM.....VINYAAT YATI PATRATHAM.... PATRTVAT DHANAMAPNOTI....DHANAAT DHARMAM....THATAH SUKAM..

this is sanskrit subhashitham...means knowledge gives humbleness(VINAYAM).....from vinayam to good position....from position to

wealth...from wealth to charity.....then happiness comes naturally.......

regards
tbs

(Reply to # 144).

Dear Mr. Swami,

I don't think the color of the skin has anything to do with the pronunciation.

People just don't try hard enough!

All the three sounds 'la' ,'La' and 'zha' are pronounced by bending back the tongue into the mouth.

Of course 'la' is the easiest. 'La' slightly harder since the tongue has to curve a bit more and for 'zha' the tongue has to be curved right next to the throat.

When I was a child I have heard elders comment when they come across a person unable to differentiate 'la' , 'La' and 'zha' ,
"
நாக்கிலே தர்பையை வெச்சுப் பொசுக்கணம்" :)

May be there is a real message in it.
with warm regards,
V.R.

Dear Smt. Ramani,

The major and subtle differences in use of guttural, palatal and sibilant sounds varies across various tongues. Yes efforts do matter: nonetheless we cannot ignore the felicity that comes from being born in certain milieu. We know how difficult it is to learn even Sri Sooktam or Purusha Sooktan even for us let alone the other Vedic chants.

I'm unable to read what you have given as I have not installed the software compatible to read tamizh.

With warm regards,
Swami

dear Mr. tbs,
'Vidhyaa' is supposed to give 'Vinayam, but it always gives 'Vidyaa garvam' first. The person had to overcome the 'garvam' and reach 'vinayam'
Other things will follow automatically.
with warm regards,
V.R.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back