• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

The Rationale behind Karma Theory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Totally second Sravna that India particularly south is apunya bhoomi & punya shetra.

What?? At first Sravna says its India that is Punya Bhumi...now you are narrowing it down to South of India...what next? Like Google maps you are going to narrow down to a point to a particular street and address and then to some house?LOL

Why dont you do this..use GPS and type Punya Bhumi and see where your GPS leads you to! Ha Ha Ha

I might have been definitely at that point of time might have been a helpless frame of mind and gotten into a pessimistic mood relating to inevitability of some event

and hung up.

there is always a mood swing when one looks at brighter side of life and believe things can be changed by concrete action . one has to renew periodically and see the

positive aspect of living and believe in oneself to carry on . this is auto suggestion. if you start for looking at inconsistencies there might be many more. it is not worth

wasting your time on it.lol

Dear Krish ji,

Dont worry..mood swings are very normal..if anyone thinks its not.. you can always say that some part of your Prarabdha Karma has started working and caused the change of opinion!LOL

Sometimes the best part of Karma is you can always escape on technical grounds.

Dear Jaykay,

I typed Punya Bhumi on Google Maps and got this!

Its not India yaar..certainly not South India!LOL

Punya Bhumi Academy OF Information Technology

libali-2
Bhaktapur 44800
Nepal

Closed today

Hours

Punya Bhumi Academy OF Information Technology

libali-2Bhaktapur 44800Nepal
DirectionsSave

punyabhumiacademy.com

+977 985-1095968
(Mobile)

Technical School

VBji
We are not writing posts for compiling into holy books .

it is just a point of view at a particular time on an issue

you are free to skip my posts if you feel it is a waste of time

I do not hazard a guess why people in this forum are active here

I am in it for a few whose opinions I value .

I also like the music videos

Also assorted bits of information on public services are very useful.

Opinions expressed in my posts are mine . frankly I can change it as per my own free will.

if you have the time you can keep referring to my old posts if you so desire to find inconsistency

in computer programs , they have consistency check of data being processed . you can evolve a computer program for my posts to save time

Ithink I have 2230 posts last counted

mine have passed the consistency tests so far except one or two .

suddenly I find there is an attempt to target me of late

I do not know if my posts are giving indigestion to some members

if it is . well bad luck . it is not my intention to hurt anybody

Last edited:
Renukaji,As a matter of curiosity what is Prarabdha karma

can one hide behind it to escape the wrath of vbji

he has the patience to go thru 2230 posts to pick a hole

some members it appears read all the posts very seriously

karma theories alone can alone satisfy some irate members it appears.lol

VBji
We are not writing posts for compiling into holy books .

it is just a point of view at a particular time on an issue

Krish Ji,

I just pointed out the way you wrote earlier and now your changed stand.

If that bothers you, I am helpless.

You would have wrote 2230 number of posts, great!! which is not my concern bcos I know that Members with ever changing thoughts can contribute a lot easily unminding the consequences.

While there are lot of search facility available, one need not go through the entire postings of yours to get a selected post. Any way it may be your strategy. But, as far as I am concerned, there is no need to go thro all the such posts as I believe ஒரு பானை சோத்துக்கு ஒரு சோறு பதம்!! A random check and verification is more than sufficient to reveal the real ‘colour changing strategy’ and then covering up with blah blah lol!

What??At first Sravna says its India that is Punya Bhumi...now you are narrowing itdown to South of India...what next? Like Google maps you are going to narrowdown to a point to a particular street and address and then to some house?LOL

Why dont you do this..use GPS and type Punya Bhumi and see where your GPS leadsyou to! Ha Ha Ha

Hi Renuka,

Sorry I didn’tmean to say it in the negative sense. Given that primarily the folks withorigins in South were going hammer & tong that it is not punya Bhoomi blah blah, Imentioned that.

My point is weall need to be as proud as the other races about our legacy !!

Cheers,
JK

HelloSir Please share the link to your historical analysis on two Indian languages;as mentioned below.

Hi KRN,

I have not yet posted the analysis on these 2 languages onthe forum – still working on it. Will postit once I have done so.

Cheers,

I might have been definitely at that point of time might have been a helpless frame of mind and gotten into a pessimistic mood relating to inevitability of some event and hung up. there is always a mood swing when one looks at brighter side of life and believe things can be changed by concrete action . one has to renew periodically and see the positive aspect of living and believe in oneself to carry on . this is auto suggestion. if you start for looking at inconsistencies there might be many more. it is not worth wasting your time on it.lol

நம்ம ஊர் நாகப்பட்டிணங்க! அங்கே இப்படியெல்லாம் சொன்னாங்கன்னா அதுக்கு பேரு - சும்மா சொல்லக்கூடாது - கழுவற மீன்ல நழுவற மீன் - அப்படீம்பாங்க

My point is we all need to be as proud as the other races about our legacy !!

Cheers,
JK

Dear JK ,

This is what I do not understand..what is this obsession with being proud of any legacy?

I know many races feel this way but frankly speaking we Hindus should know that technically there is really nothing to be proud about becos nothing really belongs to us.

Life is so transient and we cant even be sure we would be alive tomorrow..I really wonder what is there to be proud about.

Legacy of any kind is just borrowed fame and nothing really to shout about.

If at all anyone wants to be proud of any legacy he or she should have contributed to it.

Most of the while those who claim to be proud of legacy have not contributed to it in any way.

The people who have really contributed to legacy seldom or never think of pride and fame.

I am sure you must be well aware of that.

So it makes me smile at times wondering why those who claim to be on the spiritual path actually still have the word PRIDE in their vocabulary.

Friends !

I happened to visit tbf after a long time and this thread caught my attention.

Karma theory and Advaita are two topics close to my heart. Therefore, I am trying to repeat what I have attempted to say - in this forum - many times in the past, with the hope that it resonates at least with some people.

The true Karma theory, in my view, is different from the one version that is ordinarily put forward in most cases. The major difference is that there is no jīvātmā which is different from the paramātmā or parabrahman in the true Karma theory. Everything is a manifestation of the one and only brahman. We are born as a result of our past Karmas and when we die, nothing else is left (no soul, jīvātmā, ātmā or mind etc.) except the cumulative Karmas which has been created at the end of our sojourn in the present life. This cumulative Karma causes another fresh birth somewhere and that new person experiences the results of some of the cumulative Karmas. During that birth also more Karmas are added on and the cumulative Karmas make yet another birth (may not necessarily be human; it could be any living organism.) and it is in this way that the gargantuan, yet majestic samsāra is played out in this make-believe stage of this universe.

The brahman which resides within each and every living (and non-living) entity in this universe is the agent which creates the impression that there is an entire universe out there, (through the sense organs) to each one of us. On our "death" this brahman simply dissociates from the physical body which then disintegrates according to the universal law applicable to it (the body) and its numerous components.

However, our great teachers and preceptors of yore probably thought it advisable not to divulge the truth in its entirety and preferred to explain with the concepts of a certain jīvātmā which has its own unique existence, etc., may be because they thought that ordinary folks like us will not bother to improve ourselves if we were to be told that "even if you commit all atrocities in this life, it will not be you who will reap the results thereof, but someone else". But this is the simple and profound truth. For all that we claim about India being puṇyabhūmi, karmabhūmi etc., from the brahman’s point of view this entire universe itself is a projection (like a modern hologram) and there is nothing more fundamental than the karma theory which even lay people of old used to sum up in the sentence உப்பை தின்றவன் தண்ணி குடிப்பான் (uppai tiṉṟavaṉ taṇṇi kuṭippāṉ).

Sri Sangom

Welcome back, hope your health is fine..

Good to see you active and sharing your beliefs

Dear renuka Pride if properly directed is very useful to a sadhaka as it helps him maintain a disciplined life and a value system even under overwhelming circs. Most of us have not reached the state of Suddha-Sattva where ego is the final obstacle. Humility and detachment is of course essential but for one living in this world maintaining a proper balance between pride humility and detachment is more important. The very first words used by Lord Krishna in his reply to Arjuna is *Dont behave like an un-Arya*.
Dear JK ,This is what I do not understand..what is this obsession with being proud of any legacy?I know many races feel this way but frankly speaking we Hindus should know that technically there is really nothing to be proud about becos nothing really belongs to us.Life is so transient and we cant even be sure we would be alive tomorrow..I really wonder what is there to be proud about.Legacy of any kind is just borrowed fame and nothing really to shout about.If at all anyone wants to be proud of any legacy he or she should have contributed to it.Most of the while those who claim to be proud of legacy have not contributed to it in any way.The people who have really contributed to legacy seldom or never think of pride and fame.I am sure you must be well aware of that.So it makes me smile at times wondering why those who claim to be on the spiritual path actually still have the word PRIDE in their vocabulary.

Last edited:
Dear renuka Pride if properly directed is very useful to a sadhaka as it helps him maintain a disciplined life and a value system even under overwhelming circs. Most of us have not reached the state of Suddha-Sattva where ego is the final obstacle. Humility and detachment is of course essential but for one living in this world maintaining a proper balance between pride humility and detachment is more important. The very first words used by Lord Krishna in his reply to Arjuna is *Dont behave like an un-Arya*.

Dear KRN Ji,

Arya does not mean Pride..Arya means Noble One.

A Noble One does not shy away from his duties and is brave to face adversity.Pride has no role here.

Pride is not a prerequisite for a spiritual aspirant..in fact it clouds the intellect.

Pride is Mada....there can not be a good pride or a bad pride.Pride is Pride and this eventually leads to Prejudice and a man would never be able to look beyond himself.

I dont think any religious text or school of thought recommends even small doses of pride.

Dear Renuka,

Pride does not need be of self. It can be of principles, of the right knowledge and so on that you employ. These would only reinforce the good.You can for example say that I am proud of the right principles that guide me. I think there is no danger in it and it will not lead to prejudice

Last edited:
Dear KRN ji,

With regards to Pride..I remember when I joined 1st year MBBS our Principle came to class and told us "You all should be proud of yourselves for you are the best and chosen to be doctors"

Most of us felt why was he bragging as if being a doctor is so great.

Then he asked one of my classmates..'Arent you proud that you are going to be a doctor"

My friend said "I am sure the engineering college principle would be saying that the best are engineers and one should be proud..so who is actually right?"

The principle got mad with my friend and said 'Shameless creature..totally not fit for MBBS"

Many of us felt that his speech to instill pride was not actually needed.

Dear Renuka,

Pride does not need be of self. It can be of principles, of the right knowledge and so on. These would only reinforce the good.You can for example say that I am proud of the right principles that guide me. I think there is no danger in it and it will not lead to prejudice

Nope Sravna..do not be proud of even good principles..in fact I was reading an article by Vamadeva Shastri(David Frawley) about Gunas..and he said Sattva Guna however can cause clinging to virtue and can bind the mind.I guess its why you feel that you are proud of the right principles that guide you..its the effect of Sattva Guna.

Vamadeva added that one must strive to develop Pure Sattva which is its detached form or Sattva not clinging on to its own qualities.

So at the end of the day..pride needs to go.

Nope Sravna..do not be proud of even good principles..in fact I was reading an article by Vamadeva Shastri(David Frawley) about Gunas..and he said Sattva Guna however can cause clinging to virtue and can bind the mind.I guess its why you feel that you are proud of the right principles that guide you..its the effect of Sattva Guna.

Vamadeva added that one must strive to develop Pure Sattva which is its detached form or Sattva not clinging on to its own qualities.

Dear Renuka,

I agree that you can possess the right knowledge and not be proud of it. But my argument is for someone who wants to develop self and so shifting one's focus from self to focusing on principles and knowledge can make an evolution possible and i am sure would ultimately lead him into the state of complete balance.

Dear Renukaji,

My friend Somadeva Sastri says this:

One must strive to develop the purer(note the comparative degree used!!) Sattva which shines with the sterling quality of "not clinging to its own qualities".

I note with interest his words. He has kept a door open to add further comparative degree words and superlative degree word too at the end-and by the way where can be that "end"?. A new ikon supercedes existing ikon of clinging on to its qualities and feeling "proud". Think about the line of argument and try to perceive.

I enjoy the game that is going on. LOL.

Proud of Indian culture and values!

Here is an excerpt from a report - for whatever it is worth.

Report from an Indian Christian living in western country who is proud of his Indian culture.

Every country has its own custom. People of different nations are recognized by their culture.

(India)..is a rich country with great culture, traditions and.... Western culture is based on the principles of MATERIALISM, whereas Indian culture is based on the tenets and principles of SPIRITUALISM.

In India the family is the most important institution that has survived through the ages. Family is the foundation stone of society which modifies individual behaviors and cultivates tolerance, patience, respect for others, love and affection, dedication, care and sacrifice.

Indian culture is unique and has its own values. Indians are very much family oriented. … the children in India are … brought up…to..(show) respect for the elders…Indian culture treats guests as god and serves them and takes care of them as if they are a part and parcel of the family itself. Even though we don’t have anything to eat, the guests are never left hungry and are always looked after by the members of the family. We Indians have a great Hospitality. Children are expected to listen, respect, and obey their parents. We are deeply rooted (in) our rich values and good morals within our hearts, mind, body and soul which we receive from our culture.

….Indian women do not expose their bodies like western countries. Indian women can wear whatever she pleases…. (but) (it) is believed that revealing indecent clothes is an attempt to draw attention to yourself in a sexual way that begins to reveal your “nakedness that will cause others to “lust” or “commit adultery” even in their imagination…..If a woman dresses with dignity and carries herself with grace, most men will approach that woman with respect and honor. If a woman dresses immodestly like western women, a man will often view her as a sexual object. Women who stay at home and guide the house are (not) .. labeled as being "slaves, weak or dependent.. (as is the case) in western world. For Indian women family and children’s are important than her career. If she has to pick one she chooses family. Even though some of the women work in India their children’s are watched over by immediate family members of elders in the family.

…In India we greet people by shaking hands and .. lip kissing .. (is considered) bad as mouth is the place where one can pass contagious disease through … saliva. It is regarded as unclean also because of .. bad habits such as smoking, drinking liquor etc.

Love and affection in Indian tradition is considered sacred, holy, sanctified something which if you express publicly, diminishes in its value.

…We believe that Animals kiss and display affection in public but it’s not necessary for a human to be that way. It is not a gesture to show in public like animals….. Affection is a private and intimate affair. Its public display is a reflection of immaturity and insensitivity of the partners towards each other.

I am an Indian Christian living in western country still I strongly follow my great Indian culture.

…western people question Indians about why they (only) shake hands , why they don’t kiss or hug ., why don’t they expose their body like western women etc?...

(My reply is ) Because like how other countries can’t adopt Indians morals, we can’t adopt western morals because our culture is very sacred and has great value. True love need not be displayed with a public smooch or public hugging… (In the) West… emotions are public and ours is private.

Humanity, Kindness, Helping each other, Generosity, Hospitality and sharing are greatly valued in our culture. Right from our early days of childhood we are taught of Good morals. Most of Indians freely exchange property and food with the neighbors and friends also with strangers.

Elders and the respect for elders is a major component in Indian culture. Elders are the driving force for any family and hence the love and respect for elders comes from within and is not artificial. ..

The arranged marriage is another practice that illustrates the importance Indians place on the family. A majority of marriages in India are arranged by families and several people are involved in the decision-making process. We don’t do dating, and end up in confused relationships as In Indian society premarital sex is considered as sin. (In)..Westernized countries they date, they love.., without marrying they live (together) like married spouses and finally most of them end up in divorces and again remarriage.

.. In India …parents give education for their children and make them very highly educated. During education the children in India mostly devote their entire time in studying and getting educated.

Proud of Indian culture - Taking a Stand for Jesus Christ!

Last edited:
Dear Renukaji,

My friend Somadeva Sastri says this:

One must strive to develop the purer(note the comparative degree used!!) Sattva which shines with the sterling quality of "not clinging to its own qualities".

I note with interest his words. He has kept a door open to add further comparative degree words and superlative degree word too at the end-and by the way where can be that "end"?. A new ikon supercedes existing ikon of clinging on to its qualities and feeling "proud". Think about the line of argument and try to perceive.

I enjoy the game that is going on. LOL.

Dear Vaagmi ji,

A friend of mine Zongappa Shastri adds more..he said one should even strive to not identify even with Gunas...so that way one does not have to feel proud of even this new found zone.

Love and affection in Indian tradition is considered sacred, holy, sanctified something which if you express publicly, diminishes in its value.

!

This time when I was in India someone told me "Public Display of Affection is an offense in India..we Indians take this seriously but at the same time public display of urination is not an offense!"

Dear Vaagmi ji,

A friend of mine Zongappa Shastri adds more..he said one should even strive to not identify even with Gunas...so that way one does not have to feel proud of even this new found zone.

Now Somadeva and Vamadeva shout at this new upstart Zongappa "guna what?". Poor chaps they do not know what is guna. They are in their world. Leave them in peace. LOL.

Renuka ji The principal could have simply said - Its like comparing Apples and Oranges. Pride in a profession helps goad one to achieve continued excellence in it... comparing with another profession is pride misdirected..You can attain inner peace in any profession... But when you are in Karma Yoga you need a motivation to do karma continuously. This is what Krishna says : Karma jyayo hyakarmanah. Also Krishna says *Maa tey sangoastu akarmani*. Pride in karma helps motivate one to perform the niyatam karma at all circs. .
Dear KRN ji,With regards to Pride..I remember when I joined 1st year MBBS our Principle came to class and told us "You all should be proud of yourselves for you are the best and chosen to be doctors"Most of us felt why was he bragging as if being a doctor is so great.Then he asked one of my classmates..'Arent you proud that you are going to be a doctor"My friend said "I am sure the engineering college principle would be saying that the best are engineers and one should be proud..so who is actually right?"The principle got mad with my friend and said 'Shameless creature..totally not fit for MBBS"Many of us felt that his speech to instill pride was not actually needed.

Last edited:
Renuka ji The principal could have simply said - Its like comparing Apples and Oranges. Pride in a profession helps goad one to achieve continued excellence in it... comparing with another profession is pride misdirected...

Shri KRN ,

Well said. Discernment is a very necessary trait to do the right thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back