• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Left Behind - Tamil Brahmins

At St Joseph’s Boys’ High School in Bangalore, where I was a student in the late 1990s, the Tamil Brahmins ate curd rice in small groups, eschewed sports, dressed neatly, and raised their hands milliseconds faster than anyone else. They were also, it should be said, easy to bully. They would often sit in the second bench, respectfully close to the teacher, who loved them more than his own children. At least, that’s how we rowdier castes felt.

In his essay, “The Best Second-Rate Men in the World,” an investigation of the “ideal type” of the Tamil Brahmin, the journalist N. S. Jagannathan asserts that the “central characteristic” of a Tamil Brahmin is an “instinctive preference for anonymous functionality behind the scene,” an aversion to risk, and a fear of being singled out. Under the British, the Brahmins of southern India acquired a near monopoly on jobs in education and the civil service, engendering resentment among their British overlords and the lower castes. In the twentieth century, a succession of political parties organized against Brahmin control, changing the balance of power by setting aside positions for other castes in schools and the public sector. When the tables turned, the Tamil Brahmins left for greener pastures rather than put up a fight. Today the majority of Tamil Brahmins live outside Tamil Nadu, their home province. Some relocated to different parts of India, while countless others decamped to Europe and North America. Today most Tamil Brahmins in India have family members abroad; many live in the United States and work in the information technology field. If you are reading this in the US, you’ve probably met one, and you probably don’t know it.

Get your kids under-graduation in India and then send them to US for Masters program and then settle down there has been the norm for 50% of educated folks. Then the kids have an inter racial or inter caste marriage there. Though first generation may marry within TB's for the subsequent generation it is a free for all. You cannot question your child's choice.
Out of 34 grand children of my grand parents (maternal) from Tanjore District, only 7 (including 2 inter caste married) are in Tamil Nadu. That shows a paltry 20.6%. 4 out of 5 are not in Tamil Nadu. I moved out of Tamil Nadu due to Brahmin hatred. In the 80's some one wrote Papaan Ozhiga (Down with the Tamil Brahmin) in the parapet wall of my house in Chennai. Subjected to most abusive vitriol & vituperative language from road speakers. I decided to move on.

hi

migration/honesty/ god fearing in the mind of tamil brahmins....like JEWS.....for me ....my jewish friends

share similar thoughts...its in our genetic.....hard working and family oriented are more than community

oriented....its my observation....i may be wrong....like it or not.....we abosrb manythings essily.....

many brahmin gals married other castes/ other religions too .....but never engaged in killing for LOVE JIHAD...

Less than 1/3 of the grandchildren of my grandparents (paternal) are in Tamilnadu. I happen to be one of them. Extrapolating my data and Shri vgane's data and many others who I know, I think 1/2 to 2/3 of brahmins would have moved away in the past few decades.

Get your kids under-graduation in India and then send them to US for Masters program and then settle down there has been the norm for 50% of educated folks. Then the kids have an inter racial or inter caste marriage there. Though first generation may marry within TB's for the subsequent generation it is a free for all. You cannot question your child's choice.
Out of 34 grand children of my grand parents (maternal) from Tanjore District, only 7 (including 2 inter caste married) are in Tamil Nadu. That shows a paltry 20.6%. 4 out of 5 are not in Tamil Nadu. I moved out of Tamil Nadu due to Brahmin hatred. In the 80's some one wrote Papaan Ozhiga (Down with the Tamil Brahmin) in the parapet wall of my house in Chennai. Subjected to most abusive vitriol & vituperative language from road speakers. I decided to move on.
hi

i agreed your data....ours 38 grand sons/daughters of paternal side...just 2 in tamil nadu.....mostly 90 %

in USA...including myself in USA....most of them got married intercaste/ inter religion....its true..

hi

i agreed your data....ours 38 grand sons/daughters of paternal side...just 2 in tamil nadu.....mostly 90 %

in USA...including myself in USA....most of them got married intercaste/ inter religion....its true..
Looks like this is our future.... maybe time to post thread on how to keep our culture alive for future generation when in the US...

Looks like this is our future.... maybe time to post thread on how to keep our culture alive for future generation when in the US...
Hi

just info....our future is very safe in foreign lands than india especially tamil nadu......becoz identity crisis....

see recent sen vivek ramaswamy a tamil future US PRESIDENT CANDIDATE......he says ..im tamil hindu...i visit

hindu temple regular.....so many beautiful temples in USA doing fantstic job for our culture....recently

i visited a hindu temple in USA.....3 BATCHES OF AVANI AVAITTAM WITH HOMAM...

I feel we need to capitalize on the opportunities. While it is important to address concerns about preserving culture and traditions, but it is also crucial to approach these issues in a way that fosters understanding and inclusivity rather than promoting division or resentment. Here are some potential ways forward for Tamil Brahmin community to preserve our culture and traditions while living in different parts of the world.
  1. Digital Connectivity: Embrace technology to stay connected with our roots. Encourage the younger generation to maintain ties with their ancestral culture through online communities, webinars, social media groups, and virtual cultural events. This can help bridge the geographical gap and keep traditions alive.
  2. Cultural Exchanges: Organize cultural exchange programs where younger members of the community visit Tamil Nadu periodically to learn about their heritage firsthand. Similarly, invite elders from Tamil Nadu to share their knowledge and experiences with the diaspora.
  3. Support Cultural Organizations: Encourage the establishment and support of cultural organizations both in Tamil Nadu and abroad. These organizations can focus on preserving and promoting Tamil Brahmin culture, art, music, dance, and rituals. This is something that we are doing a fairly good job across the globe.
  4. Education: Develop educational materials, courses, or programs that teach the language, history, and cultural aspects of Tamil Brahmins. This can be done online or through local community centers.
  5. Language Preservation: Place emphasis on learning and teaching the Tamil language, as it is an integral part of preserving the culture. Encourage the use of Tamil in daily life, even in countries where it is not commonly spoken. This is something that we miss. If we miss the Tamil in Tamil Brahmin then we will not be able to maintain our uniqueness. While we learn foreign languages such as French and Spanish we forget to train our children in Tamil. Our Tamil Brahmin culture is part of the hoary literary traditions since Sangam period.
  6. Agraharam Revival: If there's a genuine desire to revive agraharams, it might be possible to invest in these areas, restore the properties, and create cultural centers or homestays for community members and tourists interested in experiencing the culture. I am planning to buy one in Tanjore Delta District which has seen the highest Tamil Brahmin migration. It is important that you maintain the property too for which a collective effort may be required in case there is no one to look after.
  7. Engage with the Local Community: Foster positive relationships with the local communities in Tamil Nadu. Encourage cultural exchange and cooperation rather than isolation. This can help in reclaiming spaces and creating an environment where traditions can thrive.
  8. Document and Archive: Encourage the documentation and archiving of cultural practices, rituals, and stories. This can be done through oral histories, written records, and multimedia presentations.
  9. Inter-Generational Dialogue: Facilitate discussions between the younger and older generations to understand their perspectives and concerns better. This can lead to innovative solutions for preserving traditions.
  10. Community Leadership: Develop strong community leadership that can guide and organize efforts to preserve and promote cultural traditions.
While what I have written is being attempted by many in disparate and disjointed manner, it is essential that we adopt an united and cohesive approach. Please remember that culture is not static but evolves over time. While preserving traditions is important, it is also crucial to adapt to changing circumstances and embrace a globalized world. Our diaspora can play a significant role in both preserving their culture and contributing to the broader societies in which they live. Open dialogue, inclusivity, and a forward-looking approach can help ensure that the Tamil Brahmin community's cultural heritage endures while adapting to the realities of today's world.

So many misconceptions abound about tamil Brahmins and their mindset. Tamil Brahmins are being accused of being passively accepting their fate and not being brave enough to counter. I can tell that it takes real wisdom and maturity to exhibit tolerance in face of relentless attacks. That's the one of the best counters and second only to samharam by God. This in a world where you utter one harsh word and reaction is as if the sky has fallen on their head.

I can tell you that heart of hearts brahmins know the Primacy of spiritual knowledge over science which is really divorced from higher reality but have been graceful enough to embrace and practice it. It may also be for survival in a time where science overwhelming rules.

Look at the literature and scholarly works in spirituality. Almost all of them have been authored by Brahmins. I would say the quality of spiritual knowledge by dint of its reality is way more useful than that of science. It is a different thing that people have not yet understood it. Look at any important contribution in any field including sports. You are likely to find many Brahmins at the top.

You may like Brahmins to your hearts content or hate them to your hearts content but can never ignore them or their contributions.

It is easy to find faults. It is also easy to praise when someone is good. The problem happens when someone is better than the purported or the popular best.

If at all anyone can steer the world out of the current mess it is in, it is the Brahmins. Others are clueless and lack the foundation in fine thinking. The traits exhibited by Tamil Brahmins which is one of tolerance and patience are of utmost importance in the solution to the world's problems. The world right now is hasty, impatient, selfish and intolerant the antidote for all coming from traits exhibited by Tamil Brahmins. But it has to be shaped in a purposeful way for it to play a decisive role in the global level. It remains the most hopeful solution for the world.

Brahmins need not change their qualities. If they do so it is compromising and not adapting. Their qualities need to instruct others in the world. The world desperately needs them.

I understand there will be resistance to the establishment of those qualities. Very severe and deterring. It then becomes fight between whose views are going to prevail. The opponent will be using muscle and money and position strength and it is unfortunate but necessary that same strengths also be on our side. That is the only way to realistically counter and prevail. When it comes to the strength of point of view they stand no chance.

I feel we need to capitalize on the opportunities. While it is important to address concerns about preserving culture and traditions, but it is also crucial to approach these issues in a way that fosters understanding and inclusivity rather than promoting division or resentment. Here are some potential ways forward for Tamil Brahmin community to preserve our culture and traditions while living in different parts of the world.
  1. Digital Connectivity: Embrace technology to stay connected with our roots. Encourage the younger generation to maintain ties with their ancestral culture through online communities, webinars, social media groups, and virtual cultural events. This can help bridge the geographical gap and keep traditions alive.
  2. Cultural Exchanges: Organize cultural exchange programs where younger members of the community visit Tamil Nadu periodically to learn about their heritage firsthand. Similarly, invite elders from Tamil Nadu to share their knowledge and experiences with the diaspora.
  3. Support Cultural Organizations: Encourage the establishment and support of cultural organizations both in Tamil Nadu and abroad. These organizations can focus on preserving and promoting Tamil Brahmin culture, art, music, dance, and rituals. This is something that we are doing a fairly good job across the globe.
  4. Education: Develop educational materials, courses, or programs that teach the language, history, and cultural aspects of Tamil Brahmins. This can be done online or through local community centers.
  5. Language Preservation: Place emphasis on learning and teaching the Tamil language, as it is an integral part of preserving the culture. Encourage the use of Tamil in daily life, even in countries where it is not commonly spoken. This is something that we miss. If we miss the Tamil in Tamil Brahmin then we will not be able to maintain our uniqueness. While we learn foreign languages such as French and Spanish we forget to train our children in Tamil. Our Tamil Brahmin culture is part of the hoary literary traditions since Sangam period.
  6. Agraharam Revival: If there's a genuine desire to revive agraharams, it might be possible to invest in these areas, restore the properties, and create cultural centers or homestays for community members and tourists interested in experiencing the culture. I am planning to buy one in Tanjore Delta District which has seen the highest Tamil Brahmin migration. It is important that you maintain the property too for which a collective effort may be required in case there is no one to look after.
  7. Engage with the Local Community: Foster positive relationships with the local communities in Tamil Nadu. Encourage cultural exchange and cooperation rather than isolation. This can help in reclaiming spaces and creating an environment where traditions can thrive.
  8. Document and Archive: Encourage the documentation and archiving of cultural practices, rituals, and stories. This can be done through oral histories, written records, and multimedia presentations.
  9. Inter-Generational Dialogue: Facilitate discussions between the younger and older generations to understand their perspectives and concerns better. This can lead to innovative solutions for preserving traditions.
  10. Community Leadership: Develop strong community leadership that can guide and organize efforts to preserve and promote cultural traditions.
While what I have written is being attempted by many in disparate and disjointed manner, it is essential that we adopt an united and cohesive approach. Please remember that culture is not static but evolves over time. While preserving traditions is important, it is also crucial to adapt to changing circumstances and embrace a globalized world. Our diaspora can play a significant role in both preserving their culture and contributing to the broader societies in which they live. Open dialogue, inclusivity, and a forward-looking approach can help ensure that the Tamil Brahmin community's cultural heritage endures while adapting to the realities of today's world.
Brilliant ideas sir ... someone should pin it to this page ... cultural exchanges is nice idea an org or NGO...

Why not include Sanskrit studies/classes too.

Take a look at this.
Madrasas at Uttarkhand plan to teach both Sanskrit and Arabic.

5. Language Preservation: Place emphasis on learning and teaching the Tamil (our mother tongue) & Sanskrit languages which are our 2 eyes, as they are an integral part of preserving the culture. Encourage the use of Tamil in daily life, even in countries where it is not commonly spoken. This is something that we miss. If we miss the Tamil in Tamil Brahmin then we will not be able to maintain our uniqueness. While we learn foreign languages such as French and Spanish we forget to train our children in Tamil & Sanskrit. Our Tamil Brahmin culture is part of the hoary literary traditions since Sangam period. Sanskrit will help us to connect with our culture, philosophy and spirituality.

This post although innocuous has achieved only sectarian thinking on the already sensitive issue of mariginalization of tamil brahmins.

These thoughts are not welcome especially at a crucial time when BJP is slowly but steadily changing the tide towards hinduism in our Tamilnadu.. It may not be long before brahmins are respected again in our own homeland.

Instigating thoughts of jews and persecution is not wanted. It must be remembered that there was severe neglect of backward classes in the immediate aftermath of british leaving the country with people in government posts mostly being educated brahmins, it created a natural backlash in the form of DK movement and the justice party. Such deep wounds take time to heal and I sincerely believe BJP is doing a good job stewarding everyone under the banner of bharath. Let us not create a new wound about how tamil brahmins were persecuted.

I again aver that certain handles are spreading a silent poison against everything sanatan that our indian government is working for. Please take note before its too late.

Yes I agree with Krishnan. It is necessary that it doesn't get tit for tat and it is high time maturity is shown. Brahmins indeed can take the lead though I do understand that magnanimity is not properly reciprocated and is considered a weakness. A fine balancing act is what is required.

Brilliant write up. Congratulations! As you rightly put it, we should take initiatives in maintaining what we have back in India! Ahraharam is one example. I was at the recent Brahmin Global Meet in Palakkad, which was a great event and I hope we can take it forward. As Sai Deepak mentioned at that meet, we Brahmins should not rest with our thairu saadam but need to be pro active! I would be happy if like minded people wish to interact with me and take this mission forward. Thanks. Dr Ramanathan

Hmmm... does anyone know what percent of TB left TN/India? Many friends but most I know are in Chennai or have moved back.
My entire family, except for my grandmother's elder sister and her descendants, migrated out of Tamil Nadu into what is now called Maharashtra (at that time, Bombay State and Central Provinces). I myself went into North India for studies and work.

Today as the 3rd generation I have a unique distinction of being a Tamil-speaking Brahmin boy who has no link to Tamil Nadu left and has not visited any part of South India other than for business trips of 1/2-days.

I barely watch anything Tamil although I am very fluent in the language (also can understand Malayalam), but in my cultural sensibilities and even food habits, there is hardly anything south Indian about me.

Latest ads

Back