• This forum contains old posts that have been closed. New threads and replies may not be made here. Please navigate to the relevant forum to create a new thread or post a reply.
  • Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Unwanted and unloved: The men and women left behind in hospital Isolation Wards

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

V.Balasubramani

Kerala

Isolation%20ward.jpg

“Our ward stands separately from all other wards, near the mortuary. That means we will be shifted there next,”

Eighty-seven-year-old Narayanan is sitting on his bed in a veranda of Ernakulam General Hospital, talking to another old man. He doesn’t really have much to do, and it’s hard to not think about the past.

Narayanan says he used to be a prosperous farmer growing cocoa, arecanut and coconut on several acres of land in Perumbavoor village in Ernakulam district. Three years ago, his family got him admitted to the hospital for a cough. But no one turned up to take him home once he became well, and he realised his family simply did not want him around.

“I have 12 children, so I have many grandchildren, I don’t remember how many. My wife died after her 12th delivery. I had so many acres of cocoa, areca nut and coconut plantation. But now I have nothing. It is all with my children and they are not ready to look after my needs,” Narayanan says.

He shuttled between an old age home and the Isolation Ward for a few months after he was cured of the cough, but now, the Isolation Ward is his home.

Read more at: http://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...en-left-behind-hospital-isolation-wards-48340

Last edited by a moderator:

Kerala

Isolation%20ward.jpg

“Our ward stands separately from all other wards, near the mortuary. That means we will be shifted there next,”

Eighty-seven-year-old Narayanan is sitting on his bed in a veranda of Ernakulam General Hospital, talking to another old man. He doesn’t really have much to do, and it’s hard to not think about the past.

Narayanan says he used to be a prosperous farmer growing cocoa, arecanut and coconut on several acres of land in Perumbavoor village in Ernakulam district. Three years ago, his family got him admitted to the hospital for a cough. But no one turned up to take him home once he became well, and he realised his family simply did not want him around.

“I have 12 children, so I have many grandchildren, I don’t remember how many. My wife died after her 12th delivery. I had so many acres of cocoa, areca nut and coconut plantation. But now I have nothing. It is all with my children and they are not ready to look after my needs,” Narayanan says.

He shuttled between an old age home and the Isolation Ward for a few months after he was cured of the cough, but now, the Isolation Ward is his home.

Read more at: http://www.thenewsminute.com/articl...en-left-behind-hospital-isolation-wards-48340
hi

he has 12 children......he protected 12 childrem BUT THE REALITY....12 CHILDREN ARE NOT ABLE TO PROTECT A SINGLE....

JUST MAKES 12 MONTHS CYCLE....JUST ONLY ONE MONTH HAS TO CARE FOR EACH 1 CHILD....its horrible....we talk

culture/religion in the great....now a days ...I THINK ....WESTERN COUNTRIES BETTER CULTURE THAN US....

atleast gov provide nice ASSISTED LIVING CULTURE....even though single....they can mingle with many singles...

PREPARE FOR THE WORST IN OUR OWN COUNTRY....

I think the West understood this phenomenon better than us and the Governments decided to take care of their elderly on their own than leaving them at the mercy of their children. In India we nurtured a culture of Mata, Pita Guru Daivam. But neither could adopt it in its true spirits nor inspire our children to follow it. The onslaught of western culture in India is so much so that our children now are not in a position to understand which one is better for them. So they choose as per convenience and adopts which ever is suitable for them. That's the main reason behind behind mushrooming old age homes in our country. Let us hope our old gets good care at least in old age homes as the hope to get cared by their children are diminishing fast.

What will Markendeya Katju and some Kerala Dasas of this forum say about this?

I think the West understood this phenomenon better than us and the Governments decided to take care of their elderly on their own than leaving them at the mercy of their children. In India we nurtured a culture of Mata, Pita Guru Daivam. But neither could adopt it in its true spirits nor inspire our children to follow it. The onslaught of western culture in India is so much so that our children now are not in a position to understand which one is better for them. So they choose as per convenience and adopts which ever is suitable for them. That's the main reason behind behind mushrooming old age homes in our country. Let us hope our old gets good care at least in old age homes as the hope to get cared by their children are diminishing fast.

Thathastu!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back