• Welcome to Tamil Brahmins forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our Free Brahmin Community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Status of brahmins in Global Scenario - reg.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suppose these vidwans now claim "sun " is western.
Sun is a star in every language and not a planet in any language or culture.
It may be mistakenly identified as "graha" for astrological purpose.

I suppose we are getting out of topic.:focus:

Dear Prasad ji,

You know the Sun God(called Savitr sometimes) is known to be having Golden Hair.
So that's why he appears western!

Yes. Really I feel very great for this jenma given to me by Sriman Narayanan as Brahmin. Thanks a lot to yourself.

I agree sun is a western star; it is not a nakshatra but one of the navagrihas in our ancient, traditional vedanga-jyotisha.

Shri Sarang,

And, that's how we have identified and established Navagrahangal Sthalam. I have experienced the pleasure of visiting all the Navagraha Sthalams, including that of Thingaloor (Moon) and Aadudhurai (SUN)

As per Hora Shastra, SUN and MOON keeps transiting into zodiac signs in each of their respective transitting period, similar to other planets including that of Rahu and Ketu. Sun transits in every 30 days and Moon Transits in every 2 and a quatar days. These periodical transits of planets (that differes for each planet) brings in many things in our day to day life, in accordance with the configuration of our natal horoscope.

As such, all including SUN, MOON, RAHU and KETU are considered as Grahas, that impacts our life, with each of their own unique vibrations.

Dear all,

Ref. Post no. 123...

We have found couple of "likes" given by few when sone one on their hate list got unsubstantially accused and insulted. The "likes" were given to such posts that did not even have a line of sensible and thought provoking messages in general BUT had only provoking and insulting baseless accusations.

It is really disappointing and painful to find such a irresponsible and hateful responses by way of clicking "like" to such posts.

I don't know why someone (i dont want to be unfair and say some people when its actually only 1 person) take such great pleasure when someone on their hate lists get told off by someone else. I feel this clicking like willy nilly will take away the seriousness and earnestness of the original posters points. Really sad.
Dear Amala no matter how hard u try some people wont change.....

In hindu astrology SUN and MOON are known as luminaries.

Planets are ll same, nothing western or eastern about it.

At this rate we will call them brahmin , kshatriya etc planets.

Thank you very much Praveen :)

Dear Amala,

Yes we should all thank Praveen..cos now since Forum is free from the Like button..I feel Forum will be a better place for you and me and the entire human race(Borrowed that line from MJ)

Well, a little explanation may be of help.

The terms western and eastern relate more to the concept of astrology and astronomy as perceived by the west and the east. The first issue used to beat astrologers in any discussion will be - how can you call sun a planet. The answer is - elementary watson, planet and griha are two different concepts - western and eastern. If only, astrologers had refrained from using the term planet, this confusion would never have risen.

With due respects to kepler and copernicus, the traditional vedic astrologers too knew how to calculate the transit of planets for thousands of years. For the benefit of uninformed, below is some extract from the proposed CBSE book for standard XI on indian astronomy for the course on knowledge traditions and practices in india.

"Because of the need to keep time for the proper conduct of rituals, calendrical astronomy grew more sophisticated in the late Vedic period, with the Vedāṅga Jyotiṣa of
Lagadha as its representative text (and, if we may call it so, the first extant Indian
scientific text). On the basis of its own astronomical data, it has been dated between the
12th and the 14th centuries BCE by most scholars. The length of the sidereal day (i.e. the
time taken by the earth to complete one revolution with respect to any given star) it uses
is 23 h 56 min 4.6 s, while the correct value is 23 h 56 min 4.091 s; the tiny difference is an
indication of the precision reached in that early age. The Vedāṅga Jyotiṣa also discusses solstices (ayanānta) and equinoxes (viṣuva) and uses two intercalary lunar months (adhikamāsa) to catch up with the solar calendar. In some ways, this text remains the foundation for India’s traditional luni-solar calendars.

There are many gaps in our knowledge after the above period and before the start of what has been called the golden age of Indian mathematics and astronomy. Beginning in the 5th century CE, this is the Siddhāntic era, when texts called siddhāntas were composed — a Sanskrit word meaning ‘principle’ or ‘conclusion’, but which applies here to a collection of conclusions or a
treatise. Their chief characteristics were the use of trigonometric methods and epicyclic models for the computations of planetary positions.

This quote is from a book By prof Ramakrishna Bhat - Fundamentals of astrology; "Karkataka, Vrischika and meena are brahmins, Mesha, Simha and dhanus Kshatriyas, Mithuna, tula and kumbha vaishyas, and vrishaba, kanya and makara sudras." Perhaps this answers your last statement.

In hindu astrology SUN and MOON are known as luminaries.

Planets are ll same, nothing western or eastern about it.

At this rate we will call them brahmin , kshatriya etc planets.

Ok someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think this word griha is very loosely translated as planets in English, which is why the Sun, moon, rahu and ketu are grihas but they are not planets. Sun is a star but again not the same as vedic astrology's concept of nakshtram so a literal translation cannot/should not be applied?

Sarangji, very interesting that the rasis are categorised by caste. It makes sense to me why aries, saggi and leo are kshatriya btw :). They are fiery! of course im very very broadly generalising...

Astrology and astronomy were archaically one and the same discipline (Latin: astrologia), and were only gradually recognized as separate in Western 17th century philosophy (the "Age of Reason").
Since the 18th century they have come to be regarded as completely separate disciplines. Astronomy, the study of objects and phenomena originating beyond the Earth's atmosphere, is a science and is a widely-studied academic discipline. Astrology, which uses the apparent positions of celestial objects as the basis for psychology, prediction of future events, and other esoteric knowledge, is not a science and is typically defined as a form of divination.

Just because you borrow some facts from the observed science to a misconception, the misconception does not become a science, except for some medhavis in this site.

On the dot. I can only blame the english josyar who is using the wrong terminology. A tamil josyar will always say griham or veedu. There are many indic words with rich and deep meaning - like dharma, yoga - which are difficult to translate. It is better to use the original words always.

Rasis too have attributes - friendly, inimical, satvik, tamasic and so on. They also change by association, I think.

It is another fallacy to fit astrology in the western definition of 'science'. And to sully it saying that it is falsely claimed as science. Jyotisha never claims that it is a 'western science'. It is a sastra like any other branch of our knowledge. Sooner we hindus learn to use hindu constructs when discussing hindu subjects, instead of using less rich and less relevant western definitions, the better for espousing our culture and protecting it from undeserved assaults.

Ok someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think this word griha is very loosely translated as planets in English, which is why the Sun, moon, rahu and ketu are grihas but they are not planets. Sun is a star but again not the same as vedic astrology's concept of nakshtram so a literal translation cannot/should not be applied?

Sarangji, very interesting that the rasis are categorised by caste. It makes sense to me why aries, saggi and leo are kshatriya btw :). They are fiery! of course im very very broadly generalising...

Dear Amala,

Griha is rightfully translated as Celestial Bodies.

So that can include what we term planets, stars or any unidentified floating object in space.

Planet is a misnomer to describe Griha.

The reason this mistake came is most probably cos 6 out of the Grihas are planets known to mankind.
2 are not yet visible and 1 is a star(sun).

No English person chose the wrong terminology as commonly thought.

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder..we humans are the ones with Chaitanya(Consciousness)..so I really wonder how much of our lives can really be influenced by celestial bodies that have less Chaitanya than us?

After all human life is supposed to be the highest evolved in the spiritual scale and even Devas can only be liberated after taking human birth.

Western astrology astrologers are clever. Their definition of 'planets':

"In modern Western astrology the planets represent basic drives or impulses in the human psyche. These planets differ from the definition of a planet in astronomy in that the sun, moon, and recently, Pluto and Ceres (considered as dwarf planets in astronomy), are all considered to be planets for the purposes of astrology.

Elementary Science teaches us that all living being need sun to grow. Plants are very aware of this.
The connection between mind and moon is well known. Moon controlling water(sea) and its tide is also undisputable. After all human body is largely water...
A research also exists that attributes the mood swings in women to the moon.

dear ravi !
you have rightly said that some persons click like even for message containing sorrow and painful message.i found no like or dislike option in the recent post. is it because of the view expressed by you ? only reply or reply with quote is displayed in all postings.
guruvayurappan

dear ravi !
you have rightly said that some persons click like even for message containing sorrow and painful message.i found no like or dislike option in the recent post. is it because of the view expressed by you ? only reply or reply with quote is displayed in all postings.
guruvayurappan

Shri Guruvayurappan,

I don't know IF the deactivation of "Like" button was due to my last/previous post or not. Or if it was upon some one's request or not.

The thing very much clear to me is, neither I requested Mr.Praveen to deactivate "like" button nor have requested him to reinstate.

I am happy to find reactivation of "Like" button. Beacuse, when ever I could find a post much coviencing and likeable to me Or when a post appears exactly as how I could think/feel about and wanted to express, I can straight away register my liking to such posts, instead of typing out my response here for expressing my appreciation.

Last edited:
Praveen,

Another alternative is to just click like but no one can see the name...The person gets to know for example that 5 persons have liked the post..

So you can protect the identity of person liking & at the same time if a god post comes we can share likes

Praveen,

Another alternative is to just click like but no one can see the name...The person gets to know for example that 5 persons have liked the post..

So you can protect the identity of person liking & at the same time if a god post comes we can share likes

This is absolutely perfect!!!!

The "like" button should be there to reveal how many people have liked the post BUT not who all have liked the post.

Clicking "like" option should be there as that would give an assertion that members have read it and have liked it. As well, would encourage the poster to continue to post his/her views and opinions, sparing his/her time and evergy.

Clicking "like" to the post should just give the results as how many people have liked it. No need to reflect the name of the person who liked it, as that seem to create issues.

NAMASKARS."one gets what he deserves,and not what he desires." a true bramin must be happy with what he has and pray the ALMIGHTY by way of his daily "karamaanustanaustanas" and performing "VEDA ADHYAYANA" for the benefit of JAGHAT expecting no rewards whatsoever."DEVAN BHAVAYATHA DHENA THEY DEVAA:BHAVAYANTHAVA:'-BAGAVATH GEETHA. the people around him have to take care of him.NAMASKARS.v.lalithakumar

Last edited:
True, I did not go through the entire thread and sort of jumped the gun by reading too much on sun, horoscope, planet and what not on this thread. May be, got swayed by the hot news of Islam getting blasphemied by some content on YouTube around the time when I posted on your comment on Armstrong and his horoscope! Keep going. I need to spend more time in trying to understand you before I comment. But I am truly floored now. Whatever the hell is Andhagajanyayah.....?

[FONT=&quot]The caste system was developed long ago in India as a divisionof society based on the quality of a person’s personality and the type of workthey do. There were four categories of people. In the [/FONT]Bhagvad Gita[FONT=&quot],

[/FONT]

chaturvarnam maya srushtamgunakarmavibhagashah[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
tasya kartaram api mam viddhy akartaramavyayam[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“the system of four castes has been created on thedifferentiation of qualities and actions. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Brahmins were the first group of people and were considered tobe peaceful, calm, quiet, and spiritual and their work includes study,teaching, and priestly activities. This is the simple meaning of Brahmin,.Brahmins usually lead strict and disciplined spiritual lives, practisingdifferent religious rites and rituals and helping people to live a religiousand spiritual life.[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest ads

Back